Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

LadyDragonFire's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

I'm beginning to learn that many perfumes come out smelling somewhat different on me depending on where I spray them (seriously.) When I apply this fragrance to my wrist, at first all I get is the really strong animal musk/civet smell, which I find almost a bit too much to deal with. When I apply it farther up my arm it's all lovely, soft powdery notes which are really nice and pleasant. Now that the fragrance is drying down a bit on my wrist though, I'm finding that it's turning mostly into vanilla and soft, sweet powdery notes too. I'm not sure if what I'm trying is the original or a reformulation. I suspect it's probably a modern reformulation because the sample didn't cost very much, and it smells too much like a vanilla fragrance to be the original (I think.)
    The fragrance just changed on me again, and now I'm getting a strong impression of incense.
    Shalimar is a really nice, unique fragrance and I definitely like it and would recommend it highly, but I doubt I would wear it very often. It's a scent that definitely comes across as a sexy evening fragrance to me. I think it might be a bit much for everyday wear. Definitely a great classic perfume though!

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Timbuktu Opens very dark with incense and spices, but nothing exaggerated, where over time, acquires a certain soapy character but nothing overdone. This particular fragrance seems to me a much less intense version of L'air du desert marocain, making this a much more versatile and unisex fragrance, but without the mysterious and powerful personality of Andy Tauer's creation.

EFirmino's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Elements Aqua by Hugo Boss

Maybe it is me, but Elements Aqua is not “aqua” at all; opens ok but too sweet and fades out quickly. Will not get a 2nd .

NonScents's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

This is perfectly pleasant, not a bad everyday go-to for when you're feeling a little uninspired as to what to wear on an average day at work, or an evening meal out. I agree with others that it favourably compares to Armani Mania; it's done with a little more quality, I'd say.

However, the trouble is I sprayed this on in Boots today, just to try, and on my other wrist I sprayed some Kouros.

And there is, I'm afraid, simply no contest between the two. Once again, the past wins out over the present. But that's not Chanel's faute of course... 7/10

poe's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Jaisalmer by Comme des Garçons

I was walking through an arts festival here in Portland a few weeks ago, and was struck by the smell of something magical coming from a woodworking demo... I joined the crowd watching the planing and sanding. Nostrils flaring, I kept looking for the pot of burning incense nearby, there was none to be found. When the crowd dispersed, I stayed, as the scent remained steady.
    Asking the craftsman what I was smelling, he took a long curl from off the table he was working on, telling me it was yellow cedar. Over the course of the next thee days, I returned to his booth to smell fresh yellow cedar again and again.
    It was when I applied Jaisalmer (a scent I had worn many times previously) that I made the connection.

Not merely a ceder scent, this can almost be described as a single note scent. Yellow ceder. Bliss.

pasha's avatar

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

Nice and clean, but smells a bit cheap.

sherapop's avatar

Absolu by Rochas

Another smooth oriental creation in the same olfactory neighborhood as TROUBLE, albeit quite a bit simpler, Rochas ABSOLU is so benzoin and tolu balsam and labdanum-rich that the flowers (lily and neroli?)--and whatever else is supposed to be here--lie below my threshold detection capacity. What is most salient to me about this creation is its creator, Jacques Cavallier, who seems to use some mystery component which marks many perfumes as his own. I've smelled it in not only TROUBLE and ABSOLU, but also Calvin TRUTH (the original--I am not familiar with the reformulation...), and the perfumes which he designed both for Yves Rocher and for Salvatore Ferragamo.

Of all of the many perfumes by Jacques Cavallier with which I am familiar, ABSOLU strikes me as the most streamlined and the most obviously Cavallieresque, devoid as it is of loud distractions--whether of the spicy or the floral variety. In fact, this one might have been named L'ESSENCE DE JACQUES CAVALLIER. To my nose this composition really is minimalist--I would not have thought to compare it to Moschino COUTURE, for example, since the spices are so much more dominant in that composition than in this one, which to my nose is essentially an oriental perfume base. Very understated and totally unisex, ABSOLU would be perfect for those who find hard-hitting orientals to be a bit overwhelming.

I myself like but do not love and could certainly forego ABSOLU without undue strife, but I really do love the sleek vessel in which it is housed!

17 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 September, 2011)

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Weil pour Homme by Weil

Visiting my friend Marcel in his hospital bed the other day, I was pleased to see that he seemed to have slightly recovered his health and his spirits. "I must tell you, mon cher Nitram," he informed me eagerly, "I have latterly made the discovery of Weil Pour Homme. An old school fragrance, if you like, but you know that I do like that sort of thing. It puts me in mind slightly of Cellini by Faberge, although the analogy is far from exact, Weil Pour Homme being somewhat drier, more haughty and more subdued. But Weil Pour Homme has something of the same overture of citrus and herbs, and something of that same rather delightful resinous quality. Its later developments are definitively smooth, warm and distinguished, in some ways like an expensive masculine soap, yet still with that herbal and resinous resonance. For some reason, it rather reminds me of the interior of a Bentley limousine. A rather traditional, elegant gentleman's cologne, to be sure. But, if you will excuse me now, I really must eat up this tapioca pudding which these kind nurses have put before me. I hope to see you soon."

EDIT: Weil Pour Homme Old and New: So as not to mislead potential purchasers, I should say that my review was for the older version of Weil Pour Homme (bottle with a large maroon 'W' on front and maroon plastic cap). The newer currently available version, relaunched in 2004, I believe, (squarish bottle with silver cap and faint horizontal silver lines on bottle) is a different, and to my nose, less delightful affair, having been reformulated. Lemon, lime and lavender have disappeared from the topnotes, to be replaced by pineapple. Lavender has been transposed to the midnotes and nutmeg added to them, although basil and jasmine still remain. The basenotes are also different, sandalwood replacing cedarwood, and tonka being omitted.
    The newer Weil Pour Homme is still quite a nice, subtle, elegant scent but lacks the rather delightful resinous and soapy quality which I liked so much in the older version, especially in the basenotes. The basenotes of the newer version are an altogether more weak and boring affair, to my nose. Any comparison, however partial, with the excellent, discontinued Cellini by Faberge is completely inappropriate for the newer version.

17 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th October, 2011)

alfarom's avatar

Vetiver Dance by Tauer

Flowery vetiver with woody/resinous undertones. Interesting (challenging) opening where Tauer shows his incredible mastery in taking the distance from the usual initial accord of many vetivers introducing a weird green-herbaceous element that leans towards a salty/metallic feel, yet the fragrance is not completely satisfying. Powerful, solid and original but I prefer drier compositions when it comes to vetiver.

17 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th October, 2011)

AussieC's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

Hated this when I tried it. All that has changed since I have been using for the past month Trying colognes several times usually change my opinion. It does hurt the nose and head for the first 5 minutes, but it is worth it.

I have several fragrances that garner many compliments but this one perhaps gets the most.

Have to agree though that the drydown is rather nice. A dark yet sweet drydown. Most unique ever. The drydown i cannot stop sniffing. This definitely is a complex cologne with clear topnotes midnotes and drydowns.

You have to try this at least twice

17 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 23 November, 2011)

drseid's avatar

Endymion by Penhaligon's

Nothing wrong with this one, but it just is so mild and safe that it bores me to death. Powder mixed with a bit of fruit on an amber base... Kind of a mild powdery cloud. Inoffensive, but unimpressive. 2.5 stars out of 5.

17 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 December, 2012)

jamwires's avatar

Original Santal by Creed

I originally gave this a thumbs down - now I've done a total 180.

Absolutely love this stuff. Lasts forever. You think it's gone, and then 12 hours later, it's still there. Ladies over 25 lose their minds over it. Doesn't get cloying, smells "sexy," and is a great cinnamon/candy/sandalwood fragrance that isn't too thick, despite its great lasting power.

17 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 16 March, 2013)

shamu1's avatar

Ferrari Uomo by Ferrari

This is a woody leather fragrance that smells a bit generic at first sniff, but gets better as time goes on. I like my leathers heavy and rich, but unfortunately Ferrari Uomo is not that kind of leather.. Here, it's blended with cedar, making the leather smell thin and sharp. The drydown is great, with cedar and patchouli turning Ferrari Uomo into a spicy aromatic scent.

Although this treatment of leather - sharp and dry - isn't really my style, I can't deny what a classy scent this is, and that's why I like it. It's a quiet, close-to-the-vest fragrance, with fantastic all-day staying power. It just oozes quality and refinement, and it's obvious that Ferrari spared no expense in creating this fragrance. The packaging is equally impressive, with the most beautiful bottle I've ever seen for a man's fragrance. Great work here.

MY RATING: 8/10

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Chèvrefeuille Original by Creed

CO is a sparkling green floral that can come off as slightly effervescent. It's certainly unisex and inoffensive, as well as being much more old-school than the newer Creed offerings. It lacks punch and swagger in terms of the smell, and it also lacks sillage and longevity. The word, "boring," comes to mind.

If memory serves, Arôme 3 is similar, but better.

Late-Hit's avatar

Miss Balmain by Pierre Balmain

One of the great leather chypres, and one of my favorites. One little drop of the parfum goes a long way. Was it only released in 1967? It seems to have more in common with scents from the 1940's, like Rochas Femme. Superb!

jimmysmellworld's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

I think this was the first fragrance I ever bought, I must have been around 15/16 and I must have had way more spare fragrance cash than I have now! Still, this fragrance left a lasting impression on me. Its fresh, metallic and oozes vibes of being an affluent and mature man, its also one of those fragrances that gives off that strange semi-aquatic-metallic trail (Im at a loss for words to describe it properly) similar to that of A&F fierce but obviously superior in construction and more mature. Its a perfect scent for the gold rolex big time CEO which couldn't be further than my style, yet i'm looking forward to wearing this in my later years. Cool and classy but in a very 90's sort of way. Highly recommended. Brilliant signature fragrance if thats your thing.

Pktye's avatar

Lapsang Su Chong No. 08 by Tokyo Milk

I happened upon this scent in a little shop in southwestern Utah and am completely captivated by it. To me, it is very herbal, mossy and kind of ethereal. I want to bathe in it!

A. Homme's avatar

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

I can summarize my impression of Infusion d'Homme thusly:

Take one part Aqua Net Hairspray, and combine it with one part Faultless spray starch. Amplify the essence by 10, dilute with a little alcohol, and you have it.

It has great silage and longevity, so if this is what you want to smell like, it's a must buy.

padhee83's avatar

India India

Chrome by Azzaro

Soap water.Shampoo.Detergent.Thats exactly what it smells like.Very freash scent.Not offensive but great for a hot and sweaty day.As far as the scent goes,not very impressive.very common fresh metallic scent.

padhee83's avatar

India India

Quorum by Antonio Puig

I truly repent buying this.It's a cheap perfume and smells cheap.Rotten spices and vegetables in a bottle.yuck!!!

journeyfan's avatar

Soul by Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

This is why i find Fragrances so fascinating. Reading the reviews below i am getting the impression that most perople find this to have poor to average longevity yet on me this goes on forever and ever unless i wash it off.
    I have tried the recommended potent scents yet they disappear on me in a couple of hours.
    This is a great fresh scent , in my opinion far better than Original Curve that is at the moment at a fantastic low price.
    I love trying other scents , Budget or high end but i keep finding myself returning to my old friend Soul.
    10/10 from me.

journeyfan's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

I am typing this review inbetween attempting to scrub all traces of this sickly mess from my body.
    This is probably the most disappointed i have been from trying a scent i had high expectations of.
    Reviewers compare it to bubblegum , fudge and other confectionary but if there was such a thing then people will be spitting it from their mouths as i write.
    Maybe its just not my type because i prefer the citrus , aqua fragrances but from the hype i expected more.
    Ah well , back to the scrubbing.

Scent-e-mental's avatar

Man.Aubusson by Aubusson

This is a very potent oriental fragrance and on the edge of being overly sweet and cloying. But I like it. The wood, vanilla and floral notes are longlasting and as has been mentioned already, mean it is a fairly linear scent. When it opens, there is a camphorous aspect provided by the lavender, but this subsides to leave the super-strong vanilla to scream for a long time.

ahmadzg's avatar

Lebanon Lebanon

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

Reflects its Name.. Truly Chic!
    I do prefer lighter and more citrussy scents so it took me sometime before I got used to it and felt its beautiful dry-down on the skin and clothes.

cello's avatar

Diabolo Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

This one could be a summer drink! It smells of sparkling, citrus infused water. Add a sprig of fresh mint, a slice of lemon and a big, pink rose. Shake and serve. Very refreshing.

There are a few background florals in the heart, lily being a little more prominent than others, but no doubt that a pink rose is the star of the show. Once the rose starts to fade, it is joined by a soft sandalwood and maybe a dash of amber to add just a hint of warmth.

But this is mostly a refreshing, summerwear rose that is light on it's feet and ready to play. Fun!

loveless's avatar

Patchouli by Santa Maria Novella

Wonderful, wonderful brew. Love this from first sniff. Nearly perfect with its intense dark nature. The only thing that I am not used to is its slight 'wetness'. The scent has a 'wet atmosphere' when I'm wearing it. Not a bad thing, but I personally prefer dry smell.

Overall a Holy Grail perfume for Patchouli fans.

loveless's avatar

English Fern by Bronnley

Reviewing EDT.

What I like this stuff! Soapy, smoky, and great for hot and humid weather. It is a pleasant green scent (with some medicine-like notes) that is strangely home-like and comforting. My mood calms down everytime I wear this.

kayley123's avatar

Queen by Queen Latifah

Good, but not great--a bit too strong. Sweet and rich, vanilla and incense, musk, amber...a bit foody, and nicely complex (notes are blended nice so no one note jumps out to overpower you)...just overall a little too strong for me.

LadyDragonFire's avatar

Gucci by Gucci by Gucci

I found this fragrance listed on a website as a good "woody" or chypre perfume to try. And since I generally tend to like woody and green fragrances I decided to get a small sample to try. I am so disappointed.
    This perfume is not a woody or green fragrance. It may have some woody notes in the base, but on me the scent is almost all top notes and heart notes, therefore I would categorize it as a fruity floral. It's not really a light or subtle fruity floral though. I am also just taking note of the fact that this perfume is coming off as really strong, sweet and heavy on me. I actually don't care for it all that much. At first I just thought "boring and generic floral." Now I'm also thinking "one of those fragrances that I find suffocating in hot weather or a small room." Luckily it's a fairly cool day today. Still, I wouldn't buy this perfume.
    I feel I should also mention that the sample I got is supposedly the EDT version of this fragrance in the pink bottle. If the EDT is this strong, I don't think I could stand the even more concentrated version.
    I also feel I should mention that I wore Shalimar yesterday (a fragrance that many people find "too strong") and that I really like Shalimar. I don't object to strong fragrances per se, I just dislike this style of fragrance. I also strongly suspect that if you're a person who likes the classic Guerlain perfumes (which I am) you probably won't like this one. Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself.

alfarom's avatar

L'Eau Trois by Diptyque

I've to apologize with anyone who loves L'Eau Trois but I don't get it. To me it's (almost) all about rosemary, pine and oregano with a tenacious citrusy note. Myrrh and frankincense are sort of restrained and toned down to my humble nose. Surely unique but I don't like it (I beg you pardon).