Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Ciel Man by Amouage

In Ciel we have a flower opening with a dominance of rose and lavender supported by a light bergamot aroma with a faint note of incense.

After about 10 minutes, the floral composition decays a little bit, leaving room for an almost creamy aroma of sandalwood and peach which stays for the rest of the fragrance's life. A great fragrance in my opinion.

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Bois Blonds by Atelier Cologne

This one opens up with a rich neroli note at it's most citrus aspect accompanied by orange blossom, where at the end of this fragrance, we have a decrease in the citrus notes giving room for a herbal tone with the appearance of vetiver. Nothing special on this one, guys.

alfarom's avatar

Fougère Bengale by Parfum d'Empire

Curry, ginger and Helichrysum (Immortelle) with lavender on top. I suspect the curry not being actually present but just being recalled by the everlasting flowers that in some specific context may assume a culinary/spicy feel. Tobacco and hints of vanilla in the base joined by oakmoss. Nice and well orchestrated with just a touch of sweetness but when it comes to immortelle, I still perfer stronger compositions a-la Sables.

Not exactly a fougere, more of a fougere-like.

RicardVonLowen's avatar

Ambra Nera by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

An unusual fragrance, with an unusual name: Black Amber. I was a little put off by the color of the juice, a kind of medicinal green. Coming from such an ancient house I suppose it is fitting. I think the name translates to Our Most Holiest Lady of the Annunciation Pharmacy. It starts out, like another reviewer mentions, camphorous. I call it menthol, but I think camphor better describes the note. As a fan of amber (Ambre Precieux, L'Eau d'Ambre) I was looking for the amber at the beginning, but it is hidden by the eucalyptus. After the fumes have dried down, the amber is finally revealed but not entirely. There is a sweet, powdery scent reminiscent of your grandmother's vanity table, or maybe medicine cabinet. It is not until hours later that the wonderful base of amber is fully revealed. And I don't want to wait that long. Commendable for its elegant composition, but just not for me. I prefer a straight up amber that I can layer if so desired.

MakeMyEyesBurn's avatar

Bijan for Men by Bijan

if you are into smelling SUPER SUPER SUPER clean with pinesol in your veins, this is for you.
    I really can't imagine ever getting a compliment on this. It may have pushed the limits in 1981, and thats where it should stay

With soooo many scents out there, feel free to skip this patchouli bomb.
    Super potent.
    Super pointless
    With soooo many scents out there, feel free to skip this patchouli bomb.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

PS by Paul Sebastian

"Chamaleon" would be a better name for this perfume, or maybe "The Impersonator" would be more appropiate. On spraying it it smells exactly like Pierre Cardin pour Monsieur (the one with the phallic bottle) to turn into YSL Opium and then to Aramis, it settles down for a while as a better impresion of Old Spice to finally develop into its own, but never becomes a unique and distinct scent, it keeps reminding me of other perfumes as well, some Azzaro pH, some Tsar, a little bit of this and a little bit of that. After a couple of hours is when this perfume reaches its best, a sweet, creamy, ambery vanilla with myrrh that combine to give a slight anise accord, some woods and patchouli way back in the background, very pleasant indeed.
    If there is a thing this perfume does not fall short is sillage and longevity, people from next state will know you are wearing it, and for the whole day too, I should be careful with this perfume, after abusing Aramis and Old Spice I can't stand them any more, so I wear PS only once in a blue moon so not to end up hating it too.

I can not give a thumbs up to this perfume mainly because its lack of originality, but I like it enough to save it from a thumbs down.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Gucci by Gucci Sport Pour Homme by Gucci

Gucci’s male fragrance offerings have been distinctly lacklustre in recent years, but perhaps Sport meanders closer to the winner’s enclosure than any of the current crop.

As long as you can negotiate the rather acrid mandarin and grapefruit opening, Sport does develop into something approaching a fresh, fougeresque stridency. However, the lack of impetus and potency sees the early promise slither away. The rather predictable descent into an almost imperceptible and generic drydown fatally wounds it.

MakeMyEyesBurn's avatar

Yatagan by Caron

The three worst notes in perfume history are here in Yatagan: Pine Needles, Vetiver, Patchouli. A soapy smelling mess. I actually broke the bottle top open, dumped it all in my car as an air-freshener. I can explain it better in the car, rather then on my body.

If you happen to like smelling like Pinesol and other household cleaning products and love Pine Needles, Vetiver, Patchouli, this is your cologne.
    This thing needs to stay back in 1976.

Scent-imental's avatar

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I got a 15 ml sample of this several years ago off Ebay, mainly curious about the name, and was instantly besotted by the sweet spiciness, it reminded me of the Body Shop's Frankincense perfume oil i bought constantly in the 80's, yet i don't know whether either have any Frankincense in. The Body Shop stopped doing their Frankincense Perfume Oil, so i bought Tea for Two, at a considerably higher price.
    But that comforting, cosy, warm feel that has been described by others, exists for me, and evokes memories of when life was easy.
    I get the honey coming through strongly, and hints of the ginger, and that lovely smokiness.
    Longevity, well i put some on yesterday afternoon, and was still getting aromatic smoky warm wafts well into the evening, but i agree, the sillage isn't good, and i have to stick my neck in peoples nose, to make them "fully appreciate" my lovely scent.

I'm onto my 3rd bottle of this, and feel i am somewhat boring by doing this, and need a new spicy perfume, so hint hint, if anyone knows a good spicy warm, and with Frankincense, i do have an empty inbox

Massive thumbs up from me

jamwires's avatar

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

I think Pure Coffee Shop would have been a more appropriate name for this one. As a big fan of organic / fair trade coffees, I have to say, this doesn't really smell like dry coffee, ground coffee, roasted coffee, coffee beans etc. Not at all. It has more of a "coffee shop" smell, with some baked goods lingering in the background. Sweet and creamy.

When I first acquired this now rare juice, I was expecting actual coffee notes, so I was a little let down. However, after a few wearings, I started to really appreciate this one. It opens pretty sharp and strong, and projects very well for about 2-3 hours, before settling down, and sticking a little closer to the skin.

It's more subtle than the original A*Men. I like powerhouse fragrances, but it's nice to have this flanker that's a little more subdued, less obnoxious, and has an increased amount of that Mugler "coffee" note. It's more wearable than the original, but still a cool weather scent.

Pure Coffee is a very nice fragrance. It's not awe-inspiring, but it's a very welcome addition to anyone's fall/winter wardrobe.

sherapop's avatar

Iris 39 by Le Labo

Le Labo IRIS 39 is one of the most iris-rich iris perfumes I've smelled, rivalling even APRES L'ONDEE in the density of this beautiful floral note. However, IRIS 39 also has a greenish carrot-top edge. I'm thinking that IRIS 39 may actually be the strict inverse of HIRIS, with the proportions of carrot tops and iris switched, making iris much more dominant in this composition than the carrot. Another notable distinction between these two greenish iris perfumes is that the carrots in Le Labo 39 appear to have been triple washed.

I'm not one to get all bent out of shape by iris perfumes with only low levels of iris present, since I think that it is perfectly valid to produce metaphorical perfumes and also to use iris as a complement or as one among a number of other equally important notes. I really don't think that any perfumer is under some sort of obligation to use hefty dosages of any note included in the perfume's name, including iris, just because it is so precious. That said, it seems to me that, with regard to this Le Labo composition, no such complaint can in any case be made.

I am quite fascinated by the fact that some noses find this creation to be richer in violets than in iris, which perhaps corroborates my inchoate theory about variable note salience from sniffer to sniffer. Well, that's another story. Suffice it here to say that I've been wearing a lot of violet quasi-soliflores of late (some quite green...), and this smells nothing like any of those to me!

This creation is beautiful, bountiful in iris with a touch of greenishness, and smells less earthy and carroty and more clean than HIRIS. Less powdery than APRES L'ONDEE, and more light and airy than IRIS NOBILE or BOIS D'IRIS. Yes, Le Labo IRIS 39 has managed to carve out its own little corner in the congested category of haute iris perfumes!

18 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 September, 2011)

Peegore's avatar

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

Smooth. That sums up Michael Kors for men to me in just one word.

The variety of top notes surprises me. I only, slightly, get a hint of anise before being hurtled immediately into the heart note of the best sweet tobacco aroma in a fragrance I have experienced yet.

Yes, later the plummy/incense/patchouli background stealthily eases its way in, but for the life of this fragrance, its all about the tobacco.

Not quite the projection and sillage monster some would have you believe, this fragrance has solid longevity. I adore its ultra-smooth warmth and really do rate this fragrance very, very highly. The likes of Burberry London don't even come close.

Oh, if you buy the 125ml bottle do take care... drop that hefty sucker on your foot and you'll know about it. Well I certainly did anyway...(ouch)

18 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 September, 2011)

padhee83's avatar

India India

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Had heard rave reviews about it.This was a blind buy and boy...I am glad I bought it.I love this edt.There is something special about this perfume which guarantees positive remarks from this scent.Port wine,tobacco,mimosa flower,bergamot and leather are the prominent scents which comes out of this wonderful fragrance.Tobacco on the dry down is icing on the cake.This is a refined fragrance which is best suited for formal evenings and a romantic date.Guys expecting on your face,straight fresh aquatic notes may be disappointed.This is a spicy oriental fragrance for people who want to feel confident and sophisticated.You are assured of getting positive comments from the opposite sex.
    Another point which goes in its favor is that its a very safe buy.Not many people will hate it bcoz its a very pleasant scent.
    Try visualizing Sean Connery,Pierce Brosnan,George Clooney or Brad Pitt wearing this fragrance.Thats what we are talking about.Pure sophistication.
    My all time favorite fragrance.Hands down.

18 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 October, 2011)

Pasha by Cartier

A classic green aromatic-citrusy-dusty fragrance very masculine, too lastingly sour and unfortunately weak in longevity as usual for Cartiers. The beginning is minty-herbal and citrusy-lavender with a powerful touch of tart citrus, the immediate influence of the patchouli (despite listed among the base notes) and a bitter and pungent very characterizing  incensey-tobacco  note (may be because of the labdanum). The first blast is like being able to  assemble all the notes of the fragrance  expressing immediately in a bombastic way what the smell is going later to become, namely a green-aromatic dusty boise' with some persistent touch of rooty-tart bitterness partially balanced by a durable mild floral whiff. The sour temperament of citrus contributes with the floral touch to create the bit tart mildness of the final smell while the coriander enhances the aromatic green and dusty temperament. Somebody  talks about an urine kind of smell and about a sort of crudity proper of grapefruit and citrus, i see in part the association. The list mentions the note of Golden Alyssum that is a genus of flowering plant with a sort of floral mild and fresh kind of smell. The final outcome smells exactly like a tamed and gentled version of the first whiff even if the crude pungency fails in its attempt to fade. The link of floral notes and mint features the aromatic, almost balsamic, smell throughout its scarce development while the base is mossy and woodsy, with sandalwood as main note. Two hours later luckily the tartness morphs in something as a soapy woodsy mildness but than the smell has almost utterly faded. I smell some similarities with Tsar, which is less aromatic and citrusy but more woodsy and smoky, and with the great Lauder for Men, a more complex leathery fragrance with an higher touch of florals and tobacco and a darker and smoother outcome.

18 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 November, 2011)

Dimitrios's avatar

Olympios by Missoni

Aaaa haaaaaaaa !!!
    Fahrenheit Supreme without the gasoline .
    Smooth , sexy & long lasting.
    Basenotes needs toknow about this hidden gem .
    Cheers

18 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2011)

Fleurine's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

Just incredible. I'm wearing it right now.

The Shalimar ad says it so well in the tag line, "As close to forever as a perfume can go."

The classic amber, complete with a colorful lineage.

Everyone should do themselves a favor and at least sample it.

18 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 January, 2012)

alfarom's avatar

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire

If you like your amber to be boozy in the opening and smoky/leathery in the drydonw with hints of incense, then you've probably found your holy grail. Warm, powerful, rich but extremely well balanced. Me? I'm fine with the more classic Ambre Precieux or the herbal/medicinal Ambre Sultan.

That said, this is still top quality stuff. Bravo to Marc-Antoine Corticchiato.

18 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 February, 2012)

cello's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia by Guerlain

I think this is a great mint fragrance! It smells like fresh, crushed mint leaves in the opening which is quite a vivid smell. It is very brisk and green. The heart brings a soft, pink rose with green foliage keeping it sharp. The florals are very faint, and a hint of powder accompanies the rose. The whole experience closes with a soft cedar, bringing this summer heat beater to a close.

This last much longer than I expected. Thumbs up for an interesting, easy and green summer fragrance.

18 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 March, 2012)

drseid's avatar

Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's

I love cedar scents, but not really Opus. The primary reason is the cedar is somewhat muted and mild here (even though it is the most dominant note by far throughout the scent's development) possibly tamed by some rose and maybe a hint of pepper. I guess I just am not getting a lot of personality from Opus 1870. Not a bad scent, but not distinctive either. 2.5 to 3 stars out of 5.

18 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 December, 2012)

Redbeard's avatar

Citrus Bigarrade by Creed

I'm finally reviewing this after several retestings. As remarked elsewhere, I meant to replace it with Neroli Sauvage because it was weak (how ironic!) but I soon learned the error of my ways. It's basically just a run-of-the-mill EdC, pretty intermediate on the scale of sharp vs. flowery citrus. The very top notes are a good rendition of the rind of a freshly-squeezed lemon slice. It gets weak fairly soon (though not unusually so for this genre) but manages to stay natural and unambiguously masculine. Even in the end, when it's gotten very weak, it still maintains more of the original zing than you typically find with these. It's perfectly decent stuff, but there's no need to pay Creed prices for a standard Eau de Cologne.

sherapop's avatar

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

What happens when you soak a dirty leather jacket in a vat of Lapsang Souchong tea? Well, I think that the result would be similar to the opening of the perhaps misleadingly named Le Labo PATCHOULI 24. I suppose that it's because patchouli frags have flooded the market and most of them are totally (in some cases overwhelmingly) patchouli-centric that I was so very surprised to find such a heavy leather scent in a vial labeled PATCHOULI 24. I do think that there is a bit of patchouli here, but it is hidden within a zipped pocket of the Lapsang Souchong-soaked leather jacket. There is also a brief appearance of an ever-so-slight touch of booziness initially, but it smooths out rather swiftly, producing only a slight tempering of the leather by the drydown.

I gather that the leather-Lapsang Souchong effect (what many are describing as "campfire"--and perhaps that's more apt, or at least more consistent with the dirty leather jacket...) is somehow alchemically produced out of birch tar and styrax. Whatever the case may be, this composition is at least unisex, if not fully masculine. Well, unless the woman in question happens to be a biker, in which case PATCHOULI 24 would work quite nicely, I think. I should add, though, that the drydown is quite a bit softer, as though the leather has been rendered more supple by the tea infusion--or was it just the quickly slammed shot of whiskey finally kicking in?

Yet again I am impressed by the power and longevity of a Le Labo creation, but this one's not for me, although I did enjoy the Harley test ride to view the dying embers of a California wild fire at dusk.

Jermel's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

I spent $900 on Clive Christian #1 and this fragrance has more class and presence! #1 is an outstanding fragrance but oh my... L stant is the best fragrance (along with Jubilation XXV) I have ever smelled. This instantly went to the top shelf of my fragrance shelf.

Caesars Man by Caesars World

The old, stronger than the current, formula of Drakkar Noir but with a greener, less leathery and may be denser sillage, this is Caesars Man. The notes are pratically identical with those of the more notorious homologous aromatic fougere from Laroche. Very hard to find, an italian collector introduced me to smell granting to know the features. Not particulary compelling but a good stuff in any case.

Mtboxes's avatar

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

I wore this scent back in the early nineties because a young lady simply loved it and wanted me to wear it "for her". I never really cared for this scent... it is one of the scents that I do no care for. It's just not for me.

jaycmack's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I owned this in the mid-90's, and I must have gone through a 3.4 oz. bottle in about 3 months. I really wasn't sure what to make of the scent the first couple of times I smelled it. At the time, my tastes were more in line with frag's like Drakkar Noir and Cool Water, and Fahrenheit is a completely different kind of scent. Having received Fahrenheit as a gift, I was afraid that it might spend the majority of its life sitting unused on my dresser. Within a couple of days, I literally became addicted to the honeysuckle opening (which is probably why I was continuously re-applying throughout the day, 1 spray at a time). I also love the sandalwood, which gives Fahrenheit such a warm feel. I would definitely agree that Fahrenheit is best suited for cooler weather, as it might become overpowering worn on hot days. I will always associate Fahrenheit with my early-20's; and I think that it is best suited for 20- or 30-something men, used on casual occasions.

Peegore's avatar

Loud for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

Bottle and branding aside, I do like this one.

The life of this is monotone, being a 50/50 split between mild patchouli and rose all the way. I do get the ( very ) mild tobacco in the base but only just.

Projection and sillage not the best at all, and longevity very average, 4-5 hours on me.

This all sounds very unenthused so far, but I do enjoy it for it's simplicity. I don't always want to be mentally analysing every fragrance I wear, and with this one I certainly don't have to. It's... nice.

jaycmack's avatar

Halston Z-14 by Halston

There is a lot going on with this fragrance. At times, the earthy/woody elements remind me of Polo, which I like a lot. Sort of a smoky, damp-earth scent (thanks in part to the patchouli, I believe). Very nice. The floral mix is what I'm not so sure about. Sometimes it is very strong; the Geranium in particular. Other times, it is more subdued, and not as noticeable. I can't quite figure out why. I thought that it might have something to do with the old-school atomizer, which is perhaps not spraying evenly. I really like the smoky-glass bottle, which is unique, and quite artistic. Definitely one of my favorite bottles! I just wish that Z-14 was a little more consistent on my skin.

Axe Africa / Lynx Africa by Axe / Lynx

Another watery-musky-vanillic smell with liquid lavender and smooth and soapy elements particularly synthetic and cheap.

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Encre Noire by Lalique

Beautiful smoky vetiver with incense and wood notes.

Masculine and elegant for any occasion.

Good longevity and sillage

L'Eau des Hesperides by Diptyque

The combination of bitter orange, lemon, other citrus and grapefruit linked with white flowers and herbs in responsible of the overwhelming metallic effect hardly tamed by the final musk and soared by cumin. There are in composition some aromatic and bitter herbs that enhance the astringent and sharp edge of the smell understating the sweetness which is not enough supported by flowers. The herbal accord with the prominent role of peppermint combined with the frustrated sweetness of citrus and flowers produces that sort of "Bloody Mary" effect that for some reviewers turns the smell as too botanic or salty. I don't smell a so stresses synthetic effect. Anyway a natural and particular bracing fragrance in my opinion.