Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

JackWest's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

I really enjoyed this scent over the summer. With the good price, you can not go wrong with this one. Good daily wear scent for those looking for a fragrance to wear during the day, when the heavy hitters are too much to use.

CH123's avatar

Fleur Blanche by Ajne

This one is a big thumbs up for me. I own many gardenia scents from high end to low end. As many of you know, it is not possible to extract pure gardenia scent at this time. From what I have read, Ajne's perfumer, Jane, spent quite a long time experimenting with many blends until she found one that created a true to life gardenia. Unlike many synthetics, this natural "gardenia" is cheerful but does not scream white floral. I am pleased to say it is one of my most favorite scents of all time!

I suggest that even if white floral is not your thing, this is worth a sample. After the gardenia softens, a pleasant woodsy drydown awaits. I have found this scent so soothing that I've worn it to bed. Depending on the weather, you may find touches of other very soft florals in Fleur Blanche. In dry heat, the woodsy aspect appears sooner. I find this lasts about 4 to 6 hours, depending on the weather and your skin condition. In humid climates, this will last longer. It is available in perfume form or edp. I own the perfume.

I found out by pure accident that my cats prefer natural perfume to synthetics. They will not wince or run away, but they will take a small sniff and go on about their business.

Ajne has a sampling program and you may want to use this before purchasing. The money spent on the samples goes toward a future purchase!

Oslo-Fjord's avatar

Norway Norway

Must de Cartier pour Homme by Cartier

One of the most classy oriental fragrances for men. Smells very luxurious and refined. It doesn`t smell like an old-man, but it`s quite modern. Smells like a million bucks. Awesome stuff from Cartier!

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Nuit de Cellophane by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A most Beautiful sweet white floral scent; perfect for a hot summer evening when you feel like walking outdoors or sip white tea and eat dark chocolate.

Am discovering how incredible the SLutens line is ...

Big thumbs up...!!!

Roper-Hall's avatar

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This fragrance is a good deceiver. I recommend that you try it on your skin, rather than on paper. Aromatic, airy, complex, exotic: adjectives that describe well the parts, but not the whole. Constructed carefully from interesting accords; absolutely masculine, and yet, not exclusively male.

01st September, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 September, 2011)

sherapop's avatar

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

L'Artisan Parfumeur VOLEUR DE ROSES is one among a cluster of recent rose patchouli perfumes. This one lacks the sweetness found in, above all, ANGEL LA ROSE. The patchouli note is also rather dry and dirty here, rather than sugar-coated and caramelized, as in the ANGEL flanker.

I have no objection to the earthy presentation of the patchouli, although it is true that it swiftly overwhelms the delicate and already understated rose. (Don't permit thiefs reeking of patchouli anywhere near your rose garden!) My only real complaint is that VOLEUR DE ROSES exhibits the defect common to many offerings of this house: lousy longevity.

01st September, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 September, 2011)

jasonsicilia's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

May share a similar top note with cw but not even close in mistaking one for the other. Need not to worry nobody will mistake git for cw and if they do they must think steak smells similar to seafood. ITS DRYDOWN IS WHERE IT REALLY SHINES . AMAZING FRAGRANCE!!! END OF STORY!!!

01st September, 2011 (Last Edited: 03 September, 2011)

Suzieq13's avatar

Escape by Calvin Klein

I started wearing this in 1991 when it first came out. It was the only fragrance I could really ever wear back then. I was faithful to Escape and Escape alone for many years afterward. I've only become a perfume junkie in the past 5 years, trying new things and appreciating "the classics" and so forth. Now I am faithful to no scent. BUT, of all the scents I have worn, Escape is the only one I would receive compliments on. Men loved it on me. I think my husband fell in love with me...or Escape, or both of us...
    I am know the formula has changed over the years, too bad. It was so beautiful back in the day.

01st September, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 September, 2011)

Roper-Hall's avatar

Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

As I waved the scent soaked test paper under my nose, I was suddenly 14 again, buying patchouli oil in a head shop on yonge street in Toronto. The semblance was brief but poignant, as this fragrance developed and bloomed well beyond the linear scent of that oil. Well balanced and present, without being an overbearing bore.

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Hypnôse Homme Eau Fraîche by Lancôme

Reminded me somehow of that gasoline note found in Fahrenheit, although It's obviously fresher and weaker. Not bad, but nothing to write home about.

kayley123's avatar

Woodland Strawberries / Gala by Neil Morris Fragrances

I love the strawberry note, it is EXACTLY what I want in a strawberry scent, but I'm not a fan of woods/cedar/oak...so this is a miss for me, but I bet it would smell great on someone else. The Geranium is also a bit too strong for me.

hedonist222's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I've tried over 700 perfumes.
    I love about 150 of which i own about 110.
    I like a lot and dislike some very much.
    A*Men is the only perfume to make me - in this order:

- almost vomit
    - scrub my wrist violently

The burned sugar and plastic is just disgusting.
    Sometimes I can see how a perfume may appeal to some people but personally dislike it myself. But not A*Men.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Horizon by Guy Laroche

This is a very fresh fragrance, but by no means "Aquatic", it is a kind of dark, bitter freshness, bitter probably due to the grapefruit, geranium, carnation combination plus artemisia in abundance, and dark due to some coniferous elements with patchouli that conveys the idea of the deepest confines of a dense forest.
    The species bring life to this perfume creating a lighter, airy sensation but still with a heavy and melancholic feeling that would have been too gloomy without them .
    The drydown is a mossy patchouli sweetened up by a touch of amber and lots of woods. If there is one word to define this perfume is "Different", there is nothing in the market that comes even close to it.
    And as Johnson would have said: You can call me fresh, you can call me refreshing, you can call me vivid, you can even call me sharp, but you don't have to call me aquatic.
    Tumbs up to the uniqueness if this scent.

Swanky's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

This contains one of my favorite uses of lemon. It has none of the furniture polish tone of some others. Frankly I don't get a lemon dessert either. This seems to be straight-up lemon with some musk, vetiver and cedar in small amounts.

Florentia 22 – Pesca e Fiori by I Profumi di Firenze

I’m not typically fond of fruity florals – the more fruity the combination, the less I like it. Florentia 22 is super fruity to my nose… it presents powerful notes of sweet, unrestrained peachy peach . I’m not nearly as particular about florals… there are only a few I don’t appreciate in fragrances… One of those is a strong lilac note… the lilac notes in fragrances often deliver powerful aromas that I do not find in the scent of actual lilac bushes.,, and I sometimes find lilac notes cloying and overbearing. Florentia 22 presents a strong, super sweet lilac note along with its peachy peach and, as if that’s not enough, F22 has the added torture of a certain irritating green note. I don’t know what ingredient is responsible for that annoying green odor – I have met it before in six or eight fragrances, but I’ve always been too busy washing the fragrance off my skin to note what note is causing the malodor. If I were a little more paranoid than I actually am, I might believe that this fragrance was purposely designed to disgust me.

Ocean by Tipton Charles

A strange one that I don’t quite know how to consider. At first the only thing I smell is the oil. (The fragrances from Tipton Charles are oil based, I believe.) I can certainly smell the oil here… And when the other notes begin to show through, I find the accord a bit fuzzy and I have difficulty deconstructing the accord into individual notes. Suffice it to say that this is a pleasant, fresh smelling citrus accord that is soft without much complexity, After twenty or so minutes the “ocean” accord shows up when the fragrance takes on a synthetic ozonic behavior and that’s where it stays. The ozonic note is generic and pleasant. Ocean Essential is not very complex or, to be honest, interesting. It is a light, fresh fragrance that has very good longevity.

Gaggia by Santa Maria Novella

I get a rather straightforward aromatic, almost solofleur mimosa scent that is not what I usually think of mimosa (sweet acacia)… this mimosa note has a quite attractive, strong aromatic (green?) element to it, as well as a old fashioned feeling to it… of course, Santa Maria Novella fragrances usually do have a charming rustic aura about them. It took me several trials of the fragrance to appreciate this particular mimosa note: The first two times I tested it I noted a gooey, almost slimy feeling to the main mimosa accord and this slimy note was coupled with a too-strong aromatics feel. It took a few testings for me to begin to appreciate the basic presentation of Gaggia. Now I enjoy the floral / green mimosa note... the aromatics have lessened and the gooey ambiance has completely disappeared to my nose. As the name of the fragrance suggests, Gaggia is almost a solofleur offering and I find it is quite linear. Even though I’m not much a fan of floral fragrances in general, Gaggia is a clean, fresh, pleasant fragrance – it ends up performing like many other SMN fragrances: natural smelling (non-synthetic), pleasantly rustic, short-lived… and oh-so-charming.

cmlyle81's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

First of all, this is one of the best scents I have ever explored. I really love this piece, at first I was wavering in decision on whether to purchase this or not, but I am sure happy I did. This is a simply marvelous piece. I also own the GIT and the Original Vetiver love them also, but I think I like MI the best. I can not co sign with ones who say it does not last long. One must remember it is never the fragrance that makes you, but it is you who makes the fragrance. Something amazing happens when the right chemistry is there and something mediocre happens when it is not. So, maybe those who have bad experiences can chalk it up as being bad chemistry between fragrance and them rather than destructively criticizing the fragrance. Just a thought.

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Cefiro by Floris

clean,proper,citrus,feminine.already the package is feminine!
    this is a boring, very linear and simple fragrance.
    The suspense, the complexity,the recognition value etc. are missing-the opening is the drydown- a quite crisp,fresh lemon start and that´s it- it stays that way all the time.Another huge disappointment!A fragrance on an unbelievable low level!Don´t waste your money!

easycesco's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

there is an abyss from the original to the actual version.
    The original was an interesting, fresh, ambery, strange but balanced cologne.

Now it's terrible, it's time to retire its.

My thumbs up is only for the original version!
    New version is terrible THUMBS DOWN from all the Arena! MORTE!MORTE MORTE!

hypnotic antidote's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

The first time I smelt Mitsouko I was so excited. I'd read Luca Turin going on about it and was expecting some sort of divine revelation.

I went into a department store and smelt some on a smelling strip. My first reaction was - Wax Crayons?

However, I'd been told that you needed to try this on your skin and keep going back to it (I've also learnt that the first time I smell something complex my brain defaults to a smell it already knows).

So I kept on trying but it still wasn't opening up for me. Then on the seventh(!) try, I'd sprayed it on and had gone into another shop (I still remember it vividly). Suddenly it opened up around me. It felt like I was at the centre of a 3D scent mandala whose constituents were constantly shifting and revolving around me. I was totally lost in the enchantment of it.

Ah Mitsouko, what are you? Hyper-synthetic peach layered with rich florals, or bright citrus with deep dank moss? Sometimes you feel like a misty morning, others like a bright clean summer's day, or musty dark green undergrowth in the rain, or a candy violet treat, or......... Whatever you are smelling like though you really hit the sweet spot in my brain and smell just darn GOOD!

Mitsouko's genius, I believe, lies (like the language of Shakespeare) in indeterminacy. By remaining complex and open, generations of people are able to project their own interpretations into its structure. True Art.

It wasn't quite divine but I definitely got my revelation!

sherapop's avatar

My Queen by Alexander McQueen

Upon spritzing, my immediate reaction to MY QUEEN was: "How many of these light woody florientals have been produced on behalf of clothing designers over the past couple of decades?" I'd venture to guess that the number lies in the dozens, but it may even be hundreds...

Yes, the story of MY QUEEN seemed initially to be the same old hum-drum refrain: slightly sweet wood blended in with "abstract florals". However, as it developed a bit, I suddenly remembered what this one reminded me of, in particular: Trussardi JEANS. What marks both MY QUEEN and JEANS off from the rest of the crowd, is the inclusion of liatrix, or so it seems. They both also contain violet, but probably the most significant link is...drum roll...(I can report after having returned from a factfinding mission): Anne Flipo designed both! Dominique Ropion is said to have had a hand in this creation as well, but the similarity to JEANS makes me think that Anne Flipo was really calling the shots.

The liatrix (tobacco-esque) note is far more pronounced in JEANS than in MY QUEEN, but combined with the violet, I cannot really deny the appeal of this composition. I'll buy a bottle not because I find it unique (it's not), but because I love JEANS! Give me violet and liatrix any day. Thank you again, Anne Flipo!

blueyezz's avatar

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

I really really don't like this one. Tooth achingly sweet, it starts off with that burnt caramel and marzipan notes and dries down into something that smells to me like vanilla essence. Obviously expensive materials, made to smell cheap.

I've decided to give up on the gourmand genre. Anything sweeter/more edible than Musc Ravageur is repellent to me.

alfarom's avatar

Noir Patchouli by Histoires de Parfums

A different take on a overused theme. Noir Patchouli opens with an hypnotizing spices and patchouli combo that serves as a fantastic example of how to treat patchouli leaves avoiding the "head-shop" effect. Floral patterns add a "classic" vibe and some complexity while a slight dose of vanilla works as a perfect refinement. As the fragrance evolves a remarkable chypre structure emerges from the back leading this composition to a dark, leathery/woody drydown that's at the same time misterious and extremely wearable.

Once again Histoires De Parfums confirms its status as one of the best outfits in modern/contemporary perfumery while Noir Patchouli jumps directly at the top of its genre with no esitation. Great!

OmerPervaiz's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Passenger pour Homme by S.T. Dupont

Passenger opens with heavy, deep masculine woody notes and rapidly evolves into Cinnamon smelling spicy fragrance. To me Cinnamon is the only dominant note in it especially in its heart and base. Anyhow after first few minutes the strong woody Passenger turns into light aromatic/aquatic fragrance. The dry down has got some tea notes in it as well and it slightly reminds me of Azzaro Chrome but not too much. There is no similarity b/w Tsar and Passenger. My personal favorite is its beginning, the dry down is ordinary and not that appealing. Silage and Longevity is Weak.
    Bottle is simple yet elegant completely covered in a leather piece with a chrome colored stopper on it.
    I give it 7 out of 10.

LiveJazz's avatar

Black Jeans by Versace

Great smells in this from top to bottom. Black Jeans opens with a sharp aromatic crack, and a slight medicinal hint of nutmeg and/or clove gives it a gaseous undercurrent. I don't get tar or gasoline, but I can see how this combination of notes hints at something industrial.

As the opening fades, Black Jeans quickly morphs into an extremely smooth and unique tobacco-laden leathery fougere phase. The comparisons to Rive Gauche are somewhat apt - there is a definite patchouli presence here - but Black Jeans has an opening that's a little more "out there" and sharp, and the base pushes the "fougere" boundary a bit by veering toward leather/tobacco territory.

This description may make Black Jeans sound rough, manly, and heavy, but it really is very modern and sleek for such weighty notes. This is a truly impressive piece of perfumery.

My only complaint with Black Jeans is in the sillage/longevity department. Sillage is moderate in the opening and low in the heart/base. It's hardly noticeable after 5 hours or so, after a liberal chest application. I will probably purchase it anyway, simply because it is such an enjoyable, versatile and impressive scent.

Harvitz81's avatar

Vraie Blonde by Etat Libre d'Orange

Subtle aldehydes and citrus beginning that morph into a patchouli laced floral accord. I could see it being unisex, though it definitely sits more on the side of feminine. Overall just not that interesting.

blueyezz's avatar

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Fantastic - an accessible but artful incense made with top-notch ingredients.

Not as literal as Avignon and manages an almost citrus lightness not obtained by any other incense I've tried. This lends it a radiance, rather than the dusty, churchy heaviness of other fragrances in this genre. Don't get me wring, I love that ecclesiastical vibe but its good to find a fragrance that manages to subvert the obvious and create something different.

Good longevity, moderate sillage.

Its expensive, comes in a hell of an ugly bottle and right now I can't justify buying it. But I will.

killerloop's avatar

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

Heaven in a bottle... I can't stop smelling myself! I wear my fragrances for me and this is up there in my top 3 personal favorites. If you have the opportunity to get yourself a sample vial, it is definitely worth giving it a try.

alfarom's avatar

Baldessarini Del Mar Seychelles by Baldessarini

The typical 90's style! A watery/fruity opening laying on a strong woody base. Unfortunately it was released in 2009. Not completely unsuccessful (yet very close) but definitely unnecessary.

Edit: After 4 hours on my skin it gets annoying and outdated. Meh

02 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 September, 2011)