Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

Roper-Hall's avatar

Rochas Man by Rochas

This classic is elegance in a bottle. It not only will add a new dimension to your comportment while you wear it, but also will demand a new level of attention from those around you. This chef d'oeuvre of fragrance is what will complete you, like the Jag on your Jaguar, and the sparkle in your eye. This is not about the notes and accords, its about the complete package, and why we choose to wear enhancements at all.

Aventus by Creed

I had very high hopes for Aventus from the reviews and comments on it here. I have also heard about batch inconsistencies, but more about that later. Anyway, Ii went to my regional Creed stockists to try it out. I was quite disappointed to be honest. The testers I tried were batches A42B10K03 and A42B10K04 (which I hear have a bad rep). The main one i tested was A42B10K04 and the opening was pleasant. The pineapple was the only fruit I could detect (faint to moderate) and this disappeared after about 15 minutes, leaving an ashy note for about 2-3 hours. I didn't really like this. I got good projection for the first 3-4 hours until the drydown kicked in. The drydown was very nice. A42B10K03 was similar, I got slightly more pineapple and slightly less ash, but applied very little so the scent was gone within 2-3 hours.

If not for the mixed reviews for Aventus, I would give this a negative without hesitation, but I would like to try one of the 'better batches' at some point. I found a bottle of A42B11N01, not a tester, but was reluctant to spend £175 to try it out (a 120ml bottle). Until then, I will look for testers that hopefully smell more fruity and less ashy like people say on here.

Virgin Island Water by Creed

This scent is absolutely gorgeous! Probably my favourite Creed that I have tried. I am a sucker for coconut scents. If I was rich (I am a student) and didn't already own Marc Jacobs Men, I would buy this in a heartbeat. It is basically a higher quality version of the aforementioned scent, slightly better projection and longevity, but not a lot.

Fleurine's avatar

Insolence Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

I like this little violet candy...I can't help but think of Howard's violet candy that is in deli's all over NYC. This is a reinterpretation of L'Heure Bleue? Well, hmmmm...there is no spicy carnation here...and less pronounced vanilla, although it is sweet. This is a violet soliflore to me, so it mostly depends on how you feel about that specific note. I find this a fascinating well composed and sweet sweet little lady.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

This scent takes a little bit of getting used to. I tried it out at first and thought it was mediocre, then something compelled me to try again, so i did. It was OK. After that, I tried again and started to quite like it. The longevity is average. I get the main notes for around 3 hours, and then the drydown for a further 2 or 3. I could see a man or a woman wearing this. It is very pleasant and I have not came across a similar fragrance. If you have a lot of money and want to smell unique, I suggest you consider buying it, but I would give it a try first.

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

This is easily one of my favourite scents. I could see it being worn by anyone from young to old. The notes that dominate through the whole fragrance, to my nose, are honey and vanilla. I can't smell tobacco at all. It projects well for the first 4-6 hours and altogether lasts well over 12 on my skin. I think a man or a woman could pull this off. Tobacco Vanille is best suited for a date or a cuddle with your girl/boyfriend, in my opinion, and possibly for clubbing. The only downside is that since it is one of Tom Ford's 'Private Blend' fragrances, it is very expensive, the smallest size bottle (50ml) sells for £120.

Ahree's avatar

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

I don't smoke a pipe, but the times I've been around pipe smoke, I've enjoyed it. This is very evocative of that warm, clubby, cherry-infused bonhomie. The drydown mellows it out and leaves you with a very pleasant heart and base that is mildly reminiscent of the A-Men pastry shoppe vibe, but it's much less cloying and toothache inducing than its flagship namesake. I acquired this as a decant, and while I don't intend to invest in a full size bottle (I was looking for something more appropriate for the office), it's a really compelling option for pipe scent aficionados.

lebeauche's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

First of all, excuse me. I had posted this review on Bvlgari Pour Homme. Okay, let's go. This perfume was a pleasant surprise. I received a sample of it and I loved the smell, however, bought Azzaro chrome, but regretted it. The sample of BLV was over and I had noticed that I could not do without that perfume scent in my collection. The BLV Pour Homme is a fragrance very sexy, makes me feel powerful, sophisticated, beyond good and evil. I also like him to be discreet and not make "noise." Now, I feel compelled to try every line Blvgari. Hugs.

Swanky's avatar

Stetson Fresh by Stetson

My least favorite category of fragrance is the fresh/aquatic, and this falls into that category. Among this dull crew, Stetson's offering is among the better choices due to its nice take on the ubiquitous citrus note which lasts through the life of the scent. I have the aftershave and for this type of use, it works just fine.

manicboy's avatar

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

I must admit I'm biased towards LC. It was one of the first frags I ever bought. Was in high school and felt the intense need to smell "good". Can't remember why I chose LC over others but I never wore it and forgot about it. Haven't smelled it in over 15 years and bought a bottle, not realizing that it was the same frag I had purchased years ago. At first whiff, the aroma was unmistakable. The scent memory kicked into overdrive and suddenly it was 1988 again. Smelled the same as it ever did. Intensely sweet, powdery and musky. Vulgar and compelling at once. Back then, all I got was vulgar and dismissed it but who can blame a 16 year old boy? What I've since learned is that opopanax (surely a synthetic oil now) gives LC it's character. Combined with vanilla, orange and musk, opopanax's dirty, raspy voice is amplified like a microphone to sound like Sinatra at the Garden. There's really nothing quite like LC (combine PdN NY with Kouros and you're approaching it) and to find it in the bargain basements of the lower end of the shopping spectrum is either a pleasure or a disservice to this great frag. They broke the fragrance mold on this so get it while it's still good and available.

johnny8900's avatar

Bugatti Homme by Etorre Bugatti

I got the blue box, is a great scent, vanilla gourmand but fresh, not so warm and if you smell it close (only very close) you can notice a bit of coffee.

Nothing new but lovely.

Bigsly's avatar

Cellini by Fabergé

Sort of an anisic version of the original formulation of BIjan for Men (which is woodier), though apparently Cellini came first. It's not as complex as the Bijan, and it feels lighter, though by no means is it any kind of "weakling." The anise is quite strong at first, and reminded me a bit like IL by Lancetti for a while, but then it settled down into a more blended fragrance. Anyway, this is what you would expect from a fullbodied 80s style men's fragrance. Over time, Cellini goes in a more herbal direction than Bijan, with the anise kind of melding in. The listed hay and leather are not strong, nor is it particularly sweet. It seems that the listed middle notes overpower the base ones, but it lasts a long time with at least good projection/"sillage" (the opening has strong projection). One thing that is very well done here is the blending. You can tell the notes are present, but it has no "blob"-like quality. The balance is great and it smells natural. No, the drydown is not as smooth as Patou Pour Homme (and there's not clear animalic note), but this may be the closest thing to it, once you get a few hours into it (otherwise the anise is too strong).

Bartlebooth's avatar

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

The haughty Lauder ladies club countenance is swiftly discarded to display a distinctly wanton side. Cinnabar may well be the couture wearing executive from the top floor, but she is not averse to being pressed against a filing cabinet and manhandled by some clammy-handed salesman.

Cinnabar takes a little time to slip the tether of the opening,but its classical seventies construction is certainly no chore to endure. With its clipped aldehydes and antique grade bergamot notes, it’s a high horse formality it quickly climbs down from. The conventional and indeed expected opening is supplanted by a world weariness, subtle cynicism and desire to be much more approachable. Latterly,Cinnabar is allowed to cascade into an accessible, perhaps simplistic, soft, buttery cinnamon experience.

JHL, the male counterpart from Aramis is more anally retentive, and when I want the same sartorial formality, but with the odd casual flourish, Cinnabar is a viable alternative.

sophi's avatar

Greece Greece

Royal Pavillon by Etro

This one has a vintage feeling in it.
    Strong floral with animalic base notes of castoreum and civet.The prominent floral notes are jasmine and mimosa.
    It's lasting and i enjoy wearing it.

Bcndiamond's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

I bought this blind after reading many positive reviews about it.

It's incredibly sweet and while I don't mind sweet fragrances, I just can't enjoy it with this one. I don't really have anything new to add on it's notes or how it smells, it's just unpleasantly sweet in my opinion.

Besides the obvious smell which I dislike, it has a reputation to be worn by every other 10 year old who gets a fragrance for his birthday. This undoubtly has to do with the design of the bottle which mostly attracts teenagers.

However it is very strong with incredible projection and longevity.
    So if you do enjoy the scent and live somewhere where it's not overused by teens and under, this is probably for you.

D&G L'Amoureaux 6 by Dolce & Gabbana

Even if the first sniff is quite good, and the lemon reminds me of Light Blue (a veeery good scent) L'amoureaux is too soapy and commercial. Nothing special, too similar to drugstores products.

Hypnotic Poison Eau Sensuelle by Christian Dior

L'eau sensuelle is the brigther, smarter sister of Hypnotic Poison. Once I met too twin sisters. One was smart, good looking and self confident. Just the opposite of the other, the plain sister. l'eau sensuelle is in fact the sensual version of HP. Better built, better on my skin. Still not my signature scent but gives me a nice feeling. Thumb up.

Darvant's avatar

Action Sport by Trussardi

A very tart and masculine sporty fougere with a strong woodsy temperament, a bold patchouli and a rooty-mossy base. Bracing and airy with its brash and powerful sillage. It heralds by far its presence.

Darvant's avatar

Action Uomo by Trussardi

Very, very herbal, brutal and sharp green-ambery fragrance with a dusty and mossy dry down. It starts harsh and ends harsher on my skin, this is a more green and less smokey-incensey brother of the great and darker Trussardi Uomo. Brash, angular and boisterous fragrance.

Francesco's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I tried this scent last saturday...
    At the first sniff I thought "this scent is very strange"...after 30 minuts it changes in a fantastic vanilla and sweet musc. On my skin is perfect and I don't know why but it really drugs me!! Fantastic!
    P.s. My GF is fall in love with MR...;)

Chrome by Azzaro

Why all the male fragrances are similar, nowadays. I would only save niche frags from this comment. Chrome is just the same clean and alchoolic scent just produced to gain money. Not for me.

Scarlett by Cacharel

I can't accept that a house such a cacharel, creator of a distictive parfume as anais anais, is now lunching an unimpressive fruity juice. Simply clean red berries, nothing more.

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

I get a candy/ high end department store/ expensive lotion smell from this and I really like it.

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

I am glad I jumped on the bandwagon this smells great and deserves all the hype it gets. Very original scent. The only cologne I would pay full price for.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Very strong oily mechanical smell. Definitely not everyone can pull it off. I can't see myself wearing it but I guess it works for some people.

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Way too strong and sweet for me.

Leilahdancer's avatar

Bois des Îles by Chanel

After all the positive reviews, I was excited to try this fragrance in the Les Exclusifs line.

I found it "nice". The standard Chanel aldehydic thing to start then flowers tempered with a bit of spice. The drydown was alright, but kept the floral notes for quite a bit. Maybe Coco's reserved little sister?

It's pretty and interesting, but not a head turner by any means. Perhaps my nose isn't educated enough to appreciate this one?

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Smells good. I think its a modern mature scent. I personally wouldn't wear it until I am over 50.

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Christmas/ fruit cake smell. I didn't like this at first because it is too strong. But just use a little and it will smell great.

Happy for Men by Clinique

A nice smelling every day scent. Easy to wear and nothing special but I like it.