Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

sherapop's avatar

Chaos by Donna Karan

I may finally have found the ultimate saffron perfume! This vintage sample of Donna Karan CHAOS offers a hefty core of saffron which is buttressed by a variety of dark oriental elements to produce a gorgeous tapestry of scents. The saffron dominates from start to finish on my skin, but there is so much more going on than just that note, which swirls together with wood, incense, and herbs in an enticing and magical way.

I have been dissatisfied with some other saffron perfumes, including AP SAFRAN TROUBLANT, which strikes me as a Demeter-like culinary facsimile of saffron rice. I really do love the inviting aroma of saffron rice—but in the kitchen, not on my skin! Other compositions I've tried have been more complex but unbalanced or incoherent. Still others boast saffron as a note though it remains hidden from my nose.

CHAOS manages to avoid all of these mistakes. The only real complaint I could even begin to make would be that the perfume seems to me to be misnamed, as this composition is not at all chaotic. That's no criticism of this beautiful perfume, though, which has fairly big sillage and excellent longevity on top of everything else.

If it is true, as some have suggested, that the recent re-launch is of the original CHAOS formula, I'll definitely be adding this splendid creation to my collection!

lovethosescents's avatar

Boss Orange Man by Hugo Boss

I'm giving Boss Orange a thumbs up. When I first sampled it in a store, I thought..."nothing special, same old same old." But...a few months later one of my coworkers was wearing it. I didn't know what it was of course, but it smelled so good, and so masculine. I didn't say anything for a while because I wanted to try to figure out what it was. I thought strongly that it was D&G The One because I think it shares some similarities to Orange. I was thinking I had smelled this before but I couldn't place it. I finally gave up and asked him. After I found out I was so surprised because I had dismissed it earlier. I bought some right away and I am loving it. I don't get any apple or orange, just a warm, spicy, woodsy aroma that works great on me. It was such a success on my friend that I was hopeful it would work on me and I think it does. I have received a few compliments thus far. I'll keep using it because it seems to work well in any season. The projection and sillage are just right. This is a very masculine and sexy fragrance that I can see any man wearing. Give it a try.

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Ô de l'Orangerie by Lancôme

I actually likes Ô de l'Orangerie very much! I am not so fond of Lancömes others Ô de- scents, but this one becomes lovely on my skin! Perhaps I like the Orange...??? I like Prada Infusion de fleur d'Oranger too, it is the only one of the flankers of Prada Infusion d'Iris that I really like.

When I need a nice summerfragance, I actually might get a bottle of Ô de l'Orangerie! I have the towel Lancöme had as gift when Ô de l'Orangerie first came into the stores, and it is designed to fit this perfume!

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I am in total agreement with Orpheus on this fragrance. Smells good on paper, but it smells great on skin. As much as I like this, I am buying a bottle for my wife, I really want her to smell this good all the time.

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I got some treats today while buying Voleur des Roses. The SA was kind enough to spray decant a small sample of this and Dzing! She sprayed each frag on identified scent strips, since the decants were blanks. Wow! Dzongkha smells fantastic on paper!!However, after I applied it to my skin I had a whole new ballgame. It came across as dill pickle potato chips crossed with edgy laundry powder. I waited for an hour to see if would settle or metamorphose, and unfortunately it remained just as acrid. Maybe it just overpowers my sense of smell; it is no doubt a powerhouse. I like dill pickles, but I don't want to smell like one. It is interesting, and I am sure others love it, but it gets a neutral from me.

Touch for Men by Burberry

This is a scent that first comes across as redolent of cucumbers, and it's one that's entirely inoffensive, at least initially. But the wheels start coming off the wagon as it starts getting dragged down by an increasing cloying sweetness. Fortunately, the sillage isn't that powerful, so you won't annoy that many people. On the other hand, it's longevity is somewhat long, so the only annoyed person might be the wearer, asking himself why he invested in this fragrance.

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

I like the bottle design but the smell is strange and unpleasant. It is definitely unusual and doesn't smell like anything else I have tried.

Ambre d'Or by Il Profumo

Lush, honeyed, very  floral amber structured by woods at base. A complex fragrance whose amber is crossed by a stormy whirl of fruits, decadent and nocturnal flowers, resins, honey, woodsy notes and opium. The last element, in its floral essence, imprints opulence and mysticism slightly indenting the balsams and exalting the very sophisticated and womanly trait of the juice. The link of honey and ambrette condences a lot the smell that reach high levels of opulence in the first hour of development before starting to fade towards a plein kind of softness. In the first stage of the development the influence of macerating fruits is impressive in tha way you have the impression to inhale or to taste a jam's smell. The patchouli leaves, on the side of a touch of musk, play the basic role to tame the sweetness, to build a decidedly less sweet after test, to impress a boise' mould. Not my favourite amber (i prefer Ambra Nera, Shalimar, Blu Amber, Ambre Precieux, Ambre Sultan, Ambre Absolute or Scent Intense) but a pleasant amber too peaceful and polite for those that rave for a touch of dirtiness and dissonant naughtiness in the blend of the scents.

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

Out of the bottle, it smells somewhat artificial and plastic-like, but it very quickly gets its act together to become a polite and versatile scent. I would even posit that it's a less painful, shorter and more civilized way than, say, Aramis Havana to get a kind of honeyed tobacco and faintly boozy accord. On me, it lasts 3 - 4 hours, and I wish it were longer. It doesn't project much, so don't think of it as a way to draw other people in from afar, but rather, a way to keep people staying close. A classic, and for good reason.

Chrome by Azzaro

Apparently this is one of the most popular colognes. I only recently started trying different colognes so the scent is new to me and smells pretty good. I can see how smelling it all the time on other people might effect someone's perception, but as someone new to colognes I think this smells good.

Cool Water by Davidoff

I only tried this once but the scent was too sharp and harsh for me. I will try it again when I have the chance to see if I will change my mind about this one.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Sharp green and flowery opening not for me. I guess it doesn't smell too bad when it dries down but the opening on this one bothers me.

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

This one is just ok for me. I was hoping for something close to pure malt and while it has similarities the tobacco note doesn't quite do it for me (actually it just smells vaguely green but doesn't smell like tobacco).

spawnchorus's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I've tested this frag twice. The first time I was intrigued by its eccentricity, relieved by the lack of detectable "fecal" element, and amused by the sales assistant's desperate ( and unsuccessful) attempt to say anything positive about it. I enjoyed the sweet animalic leathery-ness of it, and was impressed by it's longevity. It made me feel unwashed, but in a good way.

However, the second time I guess my expectations had been raised, and I was a bit disappointed. The sweetness was ever so slightly cloying, and I got a very faint whiff of puke. Perhaps the lingering traces of puke recently scrubbed from a warm pub carpet as a result over-indulgence in a sweet alcopop. It also gave me a slight rash on the testing area on my wrist.

Sadly, I should have left Dzing as a slightly dirty one night stand.

I am King by Sean John

This smells really good. I can barely smell it but it smells like strawberries. At $20 for the 1.7ml when you can find it on sale I think it's worth buying.

22 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 September, 2011)

Bcndiamond's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

This is a very strange fragrance and I don't really know if I should rate it positive, neutral or negative. Some day I love it, some days I absolutely hate it.

Once again, I bought this blind because of all the hype it gets and I can't say I regret it.
    After wearing this many times, I still find myself drawn to this because I can't figure it out.
    I can't enjoy the opening, or even the first hour or so. Some people say it smells like tar, in my honest opinion the opening simply smells like urine.

But the dry down is pretty amazing and that's the only reason I would wear it.
    I wouldn't wear this to get compliments from people around you, wear it for your own enjoyment.
    Another thing I noticed, it smells very different on myself than when I smell it on someone else.

22 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 26 September, 2011)

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

I couldn't really get past the soapy opening. It was inoffensive enough I suppose, but it lay kind of one dimensional -- way too stereotypically "department store circa 1988" to be of interest. Yes, it was cheerful and clean, but it was decidedly linear and boring, I wanted to give it a thumbs-up because of it reputation, but it didn't really speak to me.

Updated Oct. 17, 2011

Ok, well, it's speaking to me now. This is nifty, cheerful little frag, after all. Uncomplicated, but very good at what it does, and that is -- lifts one's spirits. Unoffensive to others, with a discreet but detectable sillage, and one that persists for 12 hours or more. There's a lot of lemon pledge on its opening, but once it fades, you're rewarded with a long drydown redolent of honeyed vanilla and the very mildest wisps of tobacco.

22 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 October, 2011)

Jermel's avatar

Tonka Impériale by Guerlain

Ladies and Gentlemen... This is sum sexy stuff. Tonka Imperiale went to my top shelf quickly. The notes are as listed but with the classical Guerlain feel. To my taste, this is not sicking sweet but certainly a sweet gourmand centered around the house famous tonka bean. Besides the tonka note, I get hay, honey, almond, and a slight tobacco note (lighter than back to black). The incense and cedar is there but just enough to balance out the "sweet tooth vibe". Layered with spirituese double vanille, Tonka Imperiale is mind blowing.

22 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 November, 2011)

Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

With reminiscences of Paco Rabane Pour Homme because of its laundry-barber shop feel (bergamot-lavender-oakmoss), this is a more than decent fougere with a final delicate and airy green aromatic but at once soapy feel. The floral notes soften the initial harshness of greens on the side of a touch of honey and moss, while a nice note of dry  patchouli roots a pillar in the structure of the boise' general silkiness. Just a tread behind of Elements in my Boss's struggling (i don't particularly love the fragrances of the brand) parade.

22 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2011)

nonnative's avatar

Trésor (original) by Lancôme

I found some drops at the bottom of an old tester, so I suppose I'm reviewing the vintage edition. Great parfume, with a strong Sonja Groissman signature on it. Intriguing and comforting. It matches well with the colour on the package. Lovely. A tresòr for sure

22 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 26 November, 2011)

Ale's avatar

Royal Blue by Brooksfield

This fragrance is a miracle, smells like heaven; so good but...very hard to find.

22 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 November, 2011)

claytonmarionneaux's avatar

Liaisons Dangereuses by By Kilian

This scent opens up with peach to me and after 2 hours is a nice cinnamon fruit that only last 3-4 hours for me. Mybe will last longer in colder weather. I like its scent for what it is.

22 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 April, 2012)

claytonmarionneaux's avatar

Beyond Love by By Kilian

I smell a sweet jasmine from the first spray,then after in hour im picking up rose. Then after 4 hours the rose is still present but a "sweet rose". I really like this fragrance after the second try.

22 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 May, 2012)

Sake by Fresh

Nice glutinous rice scent that does hint at the fermented beverage for which it is named. The citrus-ginger in the top notes snap refreshingly until it fades into a musky peachy scent that lingers for hours. I did enjoy it, and I like to use it to balance out Muscs Kublai Khan which can be a little heavy.

22 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 January, 2013)

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

The note of incense in perfumery is really evocative and each incensey fragrance that i 've loved and still love, as the ghosty and meditative Black Tourmaline, the spiritual Dzongkha, the bursting Norma Kamali Incense, the cerimonial and ritual Wazamba, the vintage Incense Aoud, the ecumenical Avignon, the Medieval Mess de Minuit and others, are concoctions i use to wear just for me or better just for catching the deep soul and atmosphere of special events or ideal moments, sometimes  for a certain sense of reverence towards respectful locations. Jubilation XXV (despite in my opinion its standout and more characterizing note is finally the oudh) doesn't violate the tradition indeed i use to wear it in the course of some sunday time spent with family in my old farm house where i lived my childwood when i used to be ingenous and addicted to Cristian practice, sunday messes, catechism and altruism. Nowadays, while being me a more naughty and disenchanted person , sometimes i feel the need of coming back to my  childwood time in order to feel myself, or to have the illusion to feel, a better person. This fragrance is peaceful as a fall afternoon spent wolking up and down the domestic hills of my past. Very, very evocative, at least for me, but not so exotic or conjuring the moonlight over the desert. This fragrance is just peacefully evocative of intimate moments of my past. I treasure the few ml of fragrance i preserve and that survived at the first months of application. The juice itself is an averagely dry (or better unfat), airy and mild blend of fizzy-liquorous initial citruses, delicate flowers, woods (the lovely gaiac), dry fruits (raspberries, bilberries, plums?), honey, spices and ambery-creamy franckincense. Whiffs of incensey oud are soon detectable as rising from the background. The ambery frankincense , without overcoming the other elements, flavours the drydown of fruity, spicy and musky balsams. The fragrance, after a first stage of crispiness starts becoming smoother cause the spices are not aggressive or dusty and tend to smooth towards an honeyed-fruity  warmth and an incensey oudh dry down. I use to be addicted to many dark and dreadful fragrances and the Duchafour's fragrance i prefer is Dzongkha that is a very different beast. This one is a silentious presence on my desk and despite doesn't strike at all my pleasure  i love it because it makes me feel serene and enlightened about what i'm. The elements are masterly balanced and no one lords over the others. The quality of elements is good (not excellent) and the longevity is impressive.

22 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 January, 2013)

rosbif's avatar

Superworldunknown by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

Superworldunknown is a self-confident and bubbly mix of fun and serious. The top of green jelly babies will see you through pre-drinks and getting ready to go out, and will flirt for you early on in the evening. As the night goes on, Superworldunknown's inner sophistication comes through, with a pared-down rose and vanilla making for a soothing trip home. It works equally well in the day, perhaps best worn by someone who doesn't wear their heart on their sleeve. ****

22 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2013)

runstile's avatar

El Attarine by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I visited Paris in the spring and was set of bringing back a bell jar, and this was it. After going to the boutique twice, I ended up with this one.

The top starts off bright, and yes it does have some immprtelle/cumin in it, which gives it an edge. The heart is certainly honeyed, but not sickeningly so such as in Rahat Loukoum and not sweet as in Louve @Off-Scenter. The apricot dominates, and as far as I'm concerned, are just right in sweetness (in reality and in this composition). The drydown is composed of dusty woody notes that give a nice foundation.

I am very familiar with this line, and while this might be a brighter, woodier, stinky Daim Blond, I love it. I was looking for something distinctive and I got it. MKK seemed cuddly in comparison.

22 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 26 June, 2014)

Bigsly's avatar

Ignis by Omar Sharif

Ignis has that "black" quality: sweet/fruity, a bit heavy/syrupy/vanillic, a little spice, a little patchouli, a little powdery, a little musky, a touch of tobacco (tonka type), etc. I wonder if this was the first of its kind, since I can't think of one that was introduced before 1994. It is somewhat similar to Burberry's London for Men but without the strong wood element, though with an animalic element (it's mild) Perhaps most notablly, it has that dried fruit/port wine thing that London has. Ignis doesn't have any "synthetic" qualities, which makes it superior to London, at least to me, nor does it has a "blob"-like quality, which seems to be a problem with this kind of fragrance. Projection/"sillage" is at least good and longevity is at least very good. Beyond the top notes it's rather linear, which is not uncommon with these kinds of fragrances. All in all, it's quite good, though not the kind I find myself drawn to these days. The notes work too well together, so there isn't as much contrast or dynamism as I'd like. This is perhaps best classified as a "romantic" fragrance, since it doesn't have the "monster sillage" one would expect of a party fragrance.

silentrich's avatar

Michael Jordan by Michael Jordan

An oldie, but a goodie. Really the perfect formula for a sport scent. Has a cool bottle, is inexpensive, versatile, and fresh. I've had a bottle in at some time or another for the past 15 years.

Birdboy48's avatar

Feeling Man by Jil Sander

This stuff certainly persists : 12 hours later and unlike most that I have, still going strong enough that I expect to smell it in the morning.

Fairly massive projection in the case of the sample I got, so take it easy to begin with when it comes to experiments with application.

Mini's of this green juice seem still fairly common on e-bay for reasonable prices, even at this late date, so if you're going to go retro, get it while you can.