Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

Darvant's avatar

Alessandro Dell'Acqua Man by Alessandro Dell'Acqua

This fragrance conjures at me an horrible, luckily brief, time of my life and over this sphere i feel the tentation to thumbs it down. Over a second and different olfactory path i have to admit that this scent smells good. Alessandro dell'Acqua Man is a warm, spicy and rosey complex aquatic, pleasantly synthetic and with a captivating musk on the base. It starts with a blend of citrus, grapefruit and marine notes and in the following stages warms up due to a bunch of flowers producing a smooth rosey feel, due to a cool and slightly bitter-pungent cardamom and to a velvety woodsy base. A rosey, slightly balmy and velvety musky aquatic with a persistent lukewarm projection.

23 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 January, 2014)

numcks's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

I have to say this is a bit of a disappointment to me after the original, which is one of my all time favorites. The citrus opening on this one seems more synthetic and lacks the original's nice balance with an herbal note. There is less complexity and less quality to my nose. The dry down is also very pale and never completely looses the touch of sweet industrial solvent that spoils this for me. Not a negative because overall it's still a decent, wearable fragrance. It's just that its a bit like the undistinguished child of a legendary parent to me.

23 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 April, 2014)

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Sweet fruity smells good. Safe versatile scent good for many occasions.

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

Jivago 24K Women by Jivago

The bottle for Jivago 24k is spectacular! If you like playing with snowglobes you will love it.The bottle reminds me of Lord of the Rings the Elven Evenstar used to ward off the spider in the second movie.It also reminds me of the learning crystals in the Fortress of Solitude in Superman .
    As far as scent goes it's okay.Aldehydes.Floral. Sort of sweet/ floral /soapy.Two-thirds Chanel No.5 edt and one-third Georgio .Sometimes it seems a little plasticy to me.
    The gold flakes DO spray out so be aware of that. Not a good idea to spray clothes with this one.
    Problem is I don't want to use it and have the fluid level go down - I like playing with the sparkles in the bottle!

Redbeard's avatar

Lavender Water by Geo F Trumper

I'm not usually a lavender fan, but this stuff isn't bad. It starts out with the usual sharp, bracing, metallic lavender topnotes, which then go through a typically acrid phase. (I know a lot of people find the topnotes of lavender to be relaxing, but to me they're kind of disconcerting!) Eventually, though, this turns into a more subdued grassy herbal scent, the type that I always like when I come across it...somewhat like spearmint, the type of mint that I tolerate best. I suspect that my lavender problems are exacerbated when I spray or dab on cloth rather than skin. The first time I tried this stuff was on skin and hair, and it was a little smoother. Now, on cloth, it's not that much better than any other lavenders until some time has passed, because it's slower to evolve past the top notes on cloth. The one lavender scent that I now want to revisit is Oxford and Cambridge, which isn't quite the same story because has a number of other herbs mixed in. I might give it a thumbs up if it weren't so weak.

tutu1234's avatar

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Polo Blue is versatile, long lasting and have good silage. I would suggest everyone to use it conservatively. It's pretty linear fragrance wise not too many changes in notes even at the dry down phase. All in all its a strong fresh fragrance for everyday use. It's sophisticated in it own way and projects really well on my skin! damn fresh and women love it....works for me.....a must try.......8/10.

Shpati's avatar

Freedom for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

It is a nice scent. But way to spicy. If you smell it from the bottle, it kind of smells like Indian food (not really something you would spray on yourself).

This one defiantly depends on your skin chemistry. I can pull it off. Some cannot.

It is gamble, so be careful. And it is discontinued so you might be able to find it cheap.

Shpati's avatar

Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label by Givenchy

One of the best smelling scents. Very good scent, smells very very nice.

Longevity is sort of bad. Takes 6 sprays for me to last effectively for about 4-5 hours.

I would try the red version of this. I believe it is stronger.

sherapop's avatar

Queen by Queen Latifah

Queen Latifah is certainly not helping the nation's diabetes epidemic with the launch of QUEEN. After a briefly enticing opening featuring a variety of alleged notes, including tequila, none of which seems clearly identifiable to me--I mean, aside from vanilla and patchouli, of course--QUEEN draws the wearer into a vortex similar to the one which I imagine is produced by an industrial-sized mixer in which vanilla cream frosting is churning at the Duncan Hines factory. The promising opening is thus abruptly terminated as none of the potentially interesting notes unfurl or develop in any way, suffocated as they are in the thick vanilla-sugar-Crisco paste. The sole survivor from the opening, perhaps predictably, is patchouli.

It's probably not a coincidence that I recalled two movie scenes while wearing this perfume yesterday. First was the scene from Hitchcock's Vertigo (1958) where the Kim Novak character plummets to her death after climbing to the top of the stairs in the bell tower. Second was the scene from Luis Buñuel's Las Hurdes: Tierra Sin Pan (1933), where the goat hurtles down the craggy mountainside, also to its death.

The veritable wall of voluminous frosting lasts for quite some time, making QUEEN a dubious choice for public settings. On the other hand, it's also a dubious choice at home, devoid as it is of either complexity or depth. This fragrance might work as is for full-fledged vanilla fanatics, but it seems rather flat and blunt to me. Since the occasions on which I wish to smell literally like Duncan Hines vanilla cream frosting are few and far between, I might try to mix this perfume with a dry incense or perhaps a rose soliflore composition to cut the sweetness somewhat. When all is said and sniffed, I regard QUEEN more as a super-sweet oriental vanilla base than as a complete perfume.

sherapop's avatar

La Perla by La Perla

I really fell head over heels for La Perla, which I first encountered last year when a fellow fragrance traveler sent me a generous sample of this gem. I had never even heard of this perfume, much less seen it anywhere for sale. To me, La Perla, like Moschino's first perfume, is a made-in-the-1980s classic which deserves to live on and on and has been severely underappreciated, passed over by the masses lured in to the major counters to buy the latest new big thing (whatever it may be, and however it may smell...) by massive attention-getting marketing campaigns. Meanwhile, La Perla has been shrouded in relative obscurity--I presume because the company has lingerie not perfume as its primary focus? More evidence for this "other priorities" theory would seem to be the cap on the La Perla bottle. It's probably the cheapest one I've ever seen, more akin to something that you'd find on a stick of deodorant than a luxurious perfume. But it wasn't the ugly, tacky, five-cents-to-produce cap that kept me and so many others away. It was the near total lack of any significant effort to promote or sell this beautiful perfume!!!!!

Why do I love La Perla? In part, because it is a sophisticated yet comfy modern chypre, which was amazingly created between two patchouli fads. On the one hand, there was the hippie era, when (I'm told...) dark patchouli oil mingled with old faded, not-washed-for-months jeans. On the other hand, we continue to witness to the present day the post-Angel deluge of sweet patchouli frags. Somehow La Perla manages to avoid both excesses, being rich in patchouli and moss but neither very dirty nor very sweet. Instead, this perfume is soft and sultry: a perfect piece of silk lingerie, in fact. I love to sleep in La Perla, I really do.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Dolce Amaro by I Profumi di Firenze

White musk and sweet tarts, or smarties. Yeah, smarties, that's it. Simple, uninteresting, uninspired, chalky drek. That same soft, milky white musk is used here, again, but it's combined with nonsense. I'll give it the consolation prize though, and that would be that I was complimented. Still doesn't change the fact that I don't like it one bit.

msveronica9's avatar

Folavril by Annick Goutal

I bought Folavril blind, because it's hard to resist grabbing a bargain Goutal. My initial impression was that F isn't readily distinguishable from other Goutals featuring citrus, herbal, green and tomato stem notes.

However, I just sprayed some Folavril on my arm to smell it properly and - quelle horreur! - it's like I've rubbed a damp handful of laundry detergent powder into my skin. The sour-detergent smell is particularly obvious with my nose directly over the sprayed area. I'm sure it smells like an actual detergent I've encountered which has an intense fake-lemon note.

My eyes were starting to redden, so I tried washing Folaril off my arm, but even soap wouldn't budge the detergent note. Tenacious stuff!

Having said all the above, Folavril's general sillage is actually quite lovely (the offending detergent note must have limited projection), so I'm thinking that this *could* be OK if sprayed only on the lower half of my body.

Unforgivable by Sean John

I realy like this one.. I think it makes a good signature.. A very good quality fragrance.. Would highly recommend.. One of my all time fragrance..

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

I find this one very similar to Sean John unforgivable but I think I like this one a slight touch more. Its a bit sweeter than the other and lasts longer too. Overall a very nice everyday fragrance. Very safe and inoffensive.

From Smoke's avatar

Ambre Noir by Sonoma Scent Studio

My Ambre Noir experience diary:

At spray: Wow! Sweetness blast! Honey, sugar, candy Amber.

5/10 mins. in: Prickly! What's that? Pepper? Peppered Candy! Fun! A little gritty/flinty/crunchy

30 mins. in: Balance. Zen beauty. Rich amber with a peppery lift, flinty pencil shaving base.

1 hour: Pepper fading, Pencils growing. Clear modern woods. A touch Ormonde Jayne.

2 hour: Pepper gone, woods keep blooming, growing colder, impersonal, loosing interest.

4 hour: Harsh modern synth-like drydown. Dull. Chemical woods. Memory of amber fading.

6 hour: Faint tickle: pepper, amber, woods,

Conclusion: It seems to be a good quality product. For the most part it has a good balance and the 30 min. to 1 hour span is lovely. The modern woods seem cold and impersonal to me, lacking character or individuality. I'm not wear it, it's not wearing me, we're just somewhat adjacent each other.

Recommendation: Support independent perfumers! Buy some and judge for yourself!

Déclaration by Cartier

This is disgusting. Smells like a room filled with Indian food (probably the cardamom) and body odor. I love Indian food but not combined with body odor!

Touch for Men by Burberry

One of the best iv used.. I wouldn't use it everyday but just the special occasion.. A very addictive and attention seeking fragrance. Would highly recommend

Burberry for Men by Burberry

A very very nice fragrance, I find it very masculine and very unique, good for special occasions, smells different from any other fragrance out there. Definitely in my top 10

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain

I deeply love Shalimar, but I can't wear it, as it is too strong, and it sticks to my clothes in an unpleasant way. And now I am just talking about the EdT!

Eau de Shalimar has been my solution! It is really beautiful - but only during the summer! As soon as the fall starts, Eau de Shalimar stops being magic on my skin!

Shalimar Initilal was released in fall in my contry, and to my great joy, it speaks of it's magic on my skin during this season! I hope it will become my fall-winter Shalimar! I am so glad I probably can sense the magic of Shalimar all year around now!

Two thumbs up from me to Shalimar Initial!

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Very nice. The vanilla is very strong in this one and the rubber faded pretty quickly. This would be boring without the rubber smell but if you like a lot of vanilla this is a good one.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Very similar to tobacco vanille. I get that cinnamon/ fruitcake smell. Kind of out there but it smells great. Very strong so use as little as possible for the best results.

Although I like this one a lot I don't love it enough to spent more than $100 on it, and the same is true with the tom ford one. I don't get musk at all. Also I don't think of this as a sexy smell, more like warm and comforting, so maybe a little misleading.

Cardinal by Heeley

Incense, especially the dark, atmospheric kind, has been a rather new interest for me. Since falling in love with Chanel Coromandel, I have been so eager to find other well-done incense based fragrances.

Cardinal by Heeley has been suggested a few times as being true church incense. I'm not a big church-goer, however I do love the smell of a chapel full of smokey incense and mustiness.

Cardinal opens rather strongly and masculine, with a somewhat dirty earthiness coming to the fore. Pepper, patchouli and vetiver tend to stand out on my skin the most. The aldehydes provide a smoothness in texture and smell, which is both intriguing and a little strange.

I was a little disappointed that the incense didn't seem to feature so readily in the first hour or so. However the more the fragrance settled, the less green and earthy it was and the smokier it became.

I can understand how some see the sweetness here, however it's more of a dusty and resinous cedar chest smell to me, with that delightful incensey goodness.

This fragrance does however sit lightly on my skin, without making its strong presence known. I'm actually anosmic to this fragrance at times, which is woeful.

Cardinal tends to lean on the more masculine side of things, however a woman that enjoys wearing rich woodsy or primarily patchouli and vetiver based scents will enjoy this.

I can't say that this is my favourite incense fragrance, however it was extremely enjoyable, nonetheless.

Forest Rain by Kiehl's

It was the name that urged me to buy a sample of Forest Rain. It sounded so lush and green that I couldn't possibly resist the temptation. Forest Rain turned out to be all that I expected and more.

The moment I applied Forest Rain to my wrist, I exclaimed with deep satisfication, "yum!" To my nose it's a combination of musky greeness, a dew-like sweetness and an elaborate bouquet of big, white lillies.

I feel very feminine and pretty while wearing this, however it has an interesting warmth once settled, that makes me feel very in touch with the earth, somewhat like a hippy. It exudes this strange bohemian aura, and while I'm not very bohemian myself, it awakens the creativeness in me.

The scent tends to envelope you, it becomes you. I can't imagine this fragrance offending anyone. From a distance Forest Rain smells clean and soapy. This fragrance actually reminds me of Spring.

The sillage and lasting strength are amazing. I was so enraptured by this fragrance that I added it to my wishlist in a matter of seconds, without even waiting for the development.

Although I recommend this fragrance for Spring and Summer, I'm currently wearing Forest Rain on a cold and rainy Winter's day and it wears considerably well in such weather.

Lolita Lempicka Fleur Défendue / Forbidden Flower by Lolita Lempicka

It is very difficult to resist going ahead and purchasing a bottle like this based upon the design rather than the scent itself. Lolita Lempicka has a way of transporting me to fairy-land by simply holding these exquisite bottles in the palm of my hand.

Fleur Defendue, as translated in english to Forbidden Flower, is a not so distant sister of the original Lolita Lempicka. While this fragrance is not so gourmand in the sense that Lolita Lempicka EDP was, the additives of cherry, absinthe and almond create a scent that is more rich than foody.

Opening with a very distinctive lotion smell, Fleur Defendue has only a suble hint of cherry and peony. It tends to be a rather clean scent, like something you'd imagine wearing in the warmer months or straight after a shower.

It takes quite a while for this fragrance to develop further, however when it does, the cherry becomes much more prominent and the almond makes an interesting entrance. The heart takes on a powdery-like quality that is very different from the lotion smell we were introduced to before-hand.

While I was not overly impressed by Fleur Defendue the first time I wore it, I found that it has a tendency to grow on you, and by the end of my sample, I was seriously considering buying myself a full bottle.

Fleur Defendue sits in the middle of being generic and unique. It is neither one, yet it would probably have many people asking what it is you're wearing. The lasting power is so-so. It's wearing relatively well six hours after application, however from there on it tends to soften considerably.

I was content with my sample of this, however I don't seem to be missing it so much now that it's all gone. The bottle design is the only thing that warrants a purchase for me.

Sarrasins by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Jasmine, is without a doubt one of my favourite scents. Especially when it has been freshly cut from the tree and placed in a vase. Many jasmine-based fragrances tend to add too many other components that ultimately destroy this fresh and delightful scent. Sarrasins, is in my opinion, the closest I have found to that true jasmine smell.

Opening as a rich, monster of a jasmine with a touch of sweetness, Sarrasins is by far one of the loudest florals I've ever encountered. While bright and fresh, Sarrasins tends to have a somewhat dark feel to it, almost in a gothic sense.

To my nose, Sarrasins isn't particularly modern, it has an old-fashioned and nostalgic presence. I see a mysterious woman, dressed in dark colours, with long, flowing hair, sending wafts of Sarrasins around her in a haze.

Despite Sarrasins darkness, it does have some brighter moments, especially with the introduction of the musk which softens the overall scent.

For some, the jasmine in Sarrasins may be too sweet and realistic. I personally love this fragrance, however it is a far cry from the creamy white florals that I'm used to.

The lasting strength is superb, as can be said for the sillage as well. For those that like me sought to find the perfect jasmine fragrance, Sarrasins is one that mustn't be ignored because of its price and availability.

Sublime Balkiss by The Different Company

Sublime Balkiss has brought tears to my eyes, tears of joy. I applied this to my wrist, and the moment I inhaled, I was transported back to when I was 13 and saying goodbye to the first boy I ever loved.

It was a strange occurrence that took a while for me to figure out. Back then I wore a deoderant called Moon Grass by a brand, Impulse. It broke my heart when they discontinued it because I no longer had a scent to remember him by. Seven years on, I've remembered him once again.

Sublime Balkiss is green and refreshing, with a subtle fizzyness. The berries are wonderful and very unique, as is the herbaceously green quality of the scent as it settles on the skin.

This is a somewhat odd fruity scent, almost alien in nature. I'm quite excited for Spring and Summer which will allow me to test this fragrance in a different environment.

While fruity, earthy and slightly floral, Sublime Balkiss gives me a clean sensation. A sense of purity and happiness.

As this fragrance dries down, lily of the valley and wet, earthy patchouli becomes more prominent. Like the other reviewers here, I unfortunately didn't sense the leather note.

I agree strongly with other reviewers who have stated, although "Sublime Balkiss is classified as a chypre - it is more of an aquatic floral". It indeed has a slight watery feel that is very obvious to my nose.

The lasting power and sillage are very good and I'm actually very impressed with Celine Ellena's brand and composition. I'm eager to test more from The Different Company in the future.

Incense Rosé by Tauer

Incense Rose is an absolute treat. It's a rather rich, smokey take on the scent of incense and rose, with a touch of strong, resinous cedar and amber.

I'll start by saying that Incense Rose can be unisex. The intense woodsy notes makes this perfect for men due to its somewhat masculine qualities.

This fragrance does tend to be cloying, however I like my scents strong and powerful. From the very opening, Incense Rose hits you with its massive sillage.

The top notes are mostly a mixture of intense earthiness, fruity clementine and tart-like rose. As it settles, the earthiness takes on a rather green-like approach, almost mossy in a sense, and the incense appears.

The incense is of the burning kind. Smokey, exotic and smooth. When placed alongside the rose note, the incense blends well, creating an atmosphere that does remind me of a bohemian trinket shop.

I'm a rather creative type of person, very much influenced by art, theatre and music. Therefore I feel as if Incense Rose captures this side of me perfectly. Richly exotic and heady scents describe my career industry well, especially the wild side of it.

Both this fragrance and Heeley's Cardinal have some similarities, however I much prefer Incense Rose for its feminine nature.

For those that love incense, you will most likely enjoy this, however for those that are rose lovers, this may or may not appeal to you. Regardless of your tastes, this fragrance should be tried.

Paloma Picasso / Mon Parfum by Paloma Picasso

I think it may have been the bottle design that had me running in the opposite direction for many years due to its very 80's style. Now that I'm older I've found some great respect for those classic 80's fragrances, so as would be expected, Paloma Picasso was on my list of scents to try.

If you like heavy fragrances like Dior's Poison, CK's Obsession or Jean Patou's Joy, this could quite possibly be in your collection already.

Paloma Picasso is one of those rich, heady, potent florals. Although dated, this fragrance has sex appeal. In a way it's a power scent, something that one can spritz on and instantly feel in control and defined.

I'll agree that this is not a fragrance for young girls or the light of heart, Paloma Picasso suits a woman with guts. The dryness, an element from its chypre quality, makes this fragrance all the more likable and all the more mature.

This fragrance is a sillage monster, there is no doubt about it. It screams, "I'm here, I'm proud, I'm wild and I'm a real woman."

Paloma Picasso is a scent that piques your curiousity. I am still discovering this fragrance with its many layers and complexities. If this re-formulated version is supposed to be less complex than the original, I can only dream of how wonderful the pre-formulated Paloma Picasso must have been.

Chloé Eau de Parfum Intense by Chloé

Chloe Intense, is a stronger yet not so different version of the original Chloe.

If I had to describe the scent, Chloe Intense is an old-fashioned bar of rose scented soap or that refreshing and homely smell of freshly washed linen.

This is a rose scent that has been emulated and ultimately popular for many years. Despite its very feminine and somewhat classic appeal, Chloe Intense cannot seem to capture me or make me fall in love with it.

It has a strange fizzy quality in the opening that actually makes me sneeze. After that momentary allergy, I become almost anosmic to the fragrance. An hour later, once settled, I can smell the prominent soapy rose which doesn't develop much further from this.

Chloe Intense is a pretty, one-sided fragrance, that appears to be too conservative and too lady-like for my personal tastes. I did, however enjoy wearing this fragrance for the duration that it lasted, which was well over six hours. I don't think I'll be re-visiting this one again though.

msveronica9's avatar

Chimere by Prince Matchabelli

I used up a small bottle of this 'drugstore cheapie' in my late teens. While I couldn't recall the fragrance itself, the mere sight of Chimere's distinctive bottle sparked yearnings to smell it again.

So, I was very excited to get, as part of a job lot, a couple of mls of EDC in the original bottle! The scent was still fresh and instantly recognisable (but no particular memories from the '80s came flooding back, unfortunately).

Tourmaline was spot-on in her note description of Chimere, but my assessment of this fragrance is not so harsh. I don't mind that there's some sweetness to take the edge off the chypre accord. Chimere smells a little plasticky at first, but when that settles, the citrus notes come to the fore and are actually very nice against a background of patchouli and perhaps a touch of incense.

Overall, this is a subtle and quite pleasant fragrance which shouldn't embarrass you in public.