Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

Lady Knize by Knize

Among the Knizes this is definitely my least favorite. A mannered and affected version of Knize Two emphasized on the floral to result more feminine. Extremely classic and old-fashioned but a bit stereotyped and outdated.

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Being an incense freak, I approached Serge Noir expecting a mysterious and gothic concotion of resinous notes and dry woods but all I got was a strong camphoraceous vibe and cloves laying on harsh cedarwood. Incense is detectable in the heart but it's overwhelmed by an overpowering medicinal vibe. Cloves are definitely too prominent and while I'm usually addicted to cedarwood I find it somehow disturbing in this composition (I guess it's because of the cloves that enhances its harshness). And yes, it's like going to the dentist.

cello's avatar

Aqua Colonia Santal by Florascent

This opens with a flourish of spices, most notably clove, rounded with a hint of cinnamon. It reminds me of my scent memory of Old Spice, which my father wore, although I've not smelled that in years. There is a floral heart, again, done in fairly mainstream masculine style, with a blend of notes that smell of rose and jasmine. And, finally, the standard soft woody close. Pretty standard formula which is very pleasant.

What you don't get here is a ton of sandalwood, so if that is what you are looking for, you may be disappointed, as I was. But my expectations may have gotten in the way, because overall, this fragrance hit it's marks and was pleasant throughout.

Cefiro by Floris

NO! A clean floral/woody/citrus that continuely winks at the Eau De Cologne. Sits somewhere between a nice shower gel and a classic masculine in the syle of Eau Sauvage. Go for the original.

odysseusm's avatar

Baiser Volé by Cartier

This scent is meant to convey an portrait of the various parts of a lily: pistils, petals, and green leaves. It succeeds in that goal, and quite well. This is a lovely floral. It is somewhat sweet, but it is not heavy and it retains a fresh quality. At times it has soapy or dewy notes, suggesting youth and Springtime. The phrase "pretty in pink" comes to mind. The lily theme is well done -- it really smells like that flower. It has the saffron-like pistils, the heady sweetness of the petals, and the perky crunch of green leaves. Not at all my style but I can appreciate it.

sherapop's avatar

Sipario by Hilde Soliani Profumi

I was struck immediately by the familiarity of the scent reproduced by the opening of Hilde Soliani Profumi SIPARIO. I knew that it came from Tenneco, the convenience store located between my house and my junior high school, where I stopped on many, many afternoons to buy a variety of dextrose-rich candies, among my favorites of which were Sweetarts and Pixie Stix.

While I went back and forth in my mind trying to decide which precise candy SIPARIO was reminding me of, suddenly the perfume lurched in an entirely different direction, with coconut emerging louder and louder, until at last I found myself ensconced in a cloud of coconut-based suntan lotion aroma.

Who would have thought to combine two such distinct yet totally familiar stages into a single perfume? Yes, this composition is original. No, I would never wear it.

sarensi's avatar

Yohji Homme by Yohji Yamamoto

I purchased this with great anticipation after hearing about the fougere/licorice theme but I was so disappointed. I get an overarching blast of acrylic reminiscent of those badly ventilated korean nail shops that are dotted along the high street. Charmless and head-ache inducing. RIP

Hoot's avatar

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

I am an old fart....so I know about Old Spice ....have used it for forty years. (more actually)...get a bottle for Christmas...every year or two. It makes me happy...like the smell of moms apple pie...or fresh baked bread. (olfactory memory triggers?)

I like to splash some on when I work in the woodshop...or change the oil in my car.....true aromatherapy...it takes me back to a simpler time and place....it makes me happy!

Like ...as others believe...the recipe has changed a little over the years...or have we just become calloused and synical.

Old Spice cologne is a part of Americana....like Betty Boop and Larry ..Moe and Curly or Shemp or Joe.

My_pep_pep's avatar

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I was shopping for fragrances and the ginger stood out in Opium PH, which won me over in the store. Then on my skin, I found a very nice balance between warm spices, vanilla, and woods. The pepper and cedar notes are not too strong which can sometimes be a problem for me. And best of all, I've been on the hunt for something reminiscent of root beer or cola, and I have found it! I love this and am very happy with my purchase. With the weather starting to turn cooler this will get a lot of wear.

I love woods and spices so this was kind of a no-brainer for me. It kind of makes me think of Chene, only this is spicier and not quite as elegant or sophisticated.....still good, though.

Redbeard's avatar

Nautica Competition (original) by Nautica

This seems to fall into the Eternity / Adidas Moves family, but it has qualities that make me understand why my freshman year roommate swore by the stuff in 1999. It's fresh and soapy, with apple but not nearly as much as the others above, and somehow manages to maintain a very "broad" freshness, rather than sharp. It has some anise, but not too much so I'll forgive it. This helps it to have an unexpected spicy depth underneath the dark grey fruity soapiness, and I agree that the spiced apple here simulates raisin. I'd qualify it as a "black" scent more than a lot of others with "black" in their names, albeit a freshened-up version. Ultimately, I'm impressed how leathery and resinous it ends up being, while still maintaining freshness, almost like Geir minus some of the sweet fruit and with added leather...in fact surprisingly unsweet for such a low price range. Or you might even compare to Bulgari Pour Homme Soir, where instead of beefing up the citrus they've beefed up the sweet musk. Thumbs up for unexpected uniqueness.

LadyDragonFire's avatar

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

This is a fragrance with a somewhat woody base that actually works well on my skin, thank goodness! The mahogany note in this perfume doesn't dominate everything else, and nothing comes across as harsh or out of place. Everything seems very nicely balanced and well blended actually, and the overall scent comes across as very pleasant.
    It reminds me a lot of some expensive black orchid scented candles that I own, so I suspect that the black orchid note comes out a lot on me. It also smells a lot like roses to me, even though rose is not a note that is listed here. At least one other website I found online had rose hips listed as a note in this fragrance, and I suspect they are right because I really think I can detect the rose scent. When I first spray this perfume on myself it predominantly smells like flowers (the black orchid and honestly, I think, the rose hips.) As it dries down I can also smell something that seems a little more sweet and "sugary" which may be the fruit notes but could also possibly be the cream accord in the base mixing with everything else. The scent doesn't really change a lot on me though, and it doesn't evolve into anything weird or unexpected which I find sometimes happens with perfumes that have very "juxtaposed" notes (wood, flowers and fruit especially.) This one was done very well, and smells really nice on me. I'm actually thinking I should buy a bottle of this and maybe make it my new signature scent. :) I definitely recommend this to everyone who is a fan of black orchid fragrances and anyone who likes somewhat woody-oriental-florals in general. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

pearhunter7's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

SMELLS EXACTLY LIKE WINDEX GLASS CLEANER MINUS THE AMMONIA CONTENT. SERIOUSLY!

Darvant's avatar

Incredible by Victoria's Secret

An incredibly plastic frappe' of icecream and macedonia.

Pinknflirty's avatar

Chaps Weekend Women by Chaps [Ralph Lauren]

Very light and feminine scent. It is would make a great springtime or summer scent. After wearing this I can totally understand why it's called Weekend. It reminds me of a Saturday afternoon brunch on the patio or a nice tea with some conservative church ladies...really floral and ladylike. It's very affordable and a perfect scent to wear everyday while you save the good stuff for date nights and special occasions.

shamu1's avatar

Connect for Men by Jivago

Awesome 80s styled powerhouse that smells dirty, like Drakkar Noir blended with sweat and rotting fruit. Imagine if you added a little Kouros, Moustache and Zizanie to Drakkar Noir, and you get this.

Though Jivago is an American company, I can't imagine a lot of Americans wanting to wear something this daring, retro and strong. The raunchiness reminds me of the smell of overly ripe fruit or "stinky" cheeses like Limberger or Camembert. This could be a big hit in Europe, where guys have more guts when it comes to wearing fragrances.

This was a great blind purchase for me, A+.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

Skye by Geo F Trumper

Starts with a bubblegum sweet and floral aquatic opening. Somewhat unpleasant. I guess this is Trumper’s take on a modern day fragrance, which is a sad affair. Becomes a soapy mess with a slight floral background throughout. This is easily Trumper’s worst offering and something I honestly would expect from a T&H line, but not Trumper’s. Overall a big disappointment.

Ajaccio Violets by Geo F Trumper

Another of trumpers that you get exactly what it says on the front of the bottle. A sharp and purple violet leaf and flower. Pretty linear and very strong from the get go, but settles down and dies after 4-5 hours. While this is a masculine floral it is far too much for me and the only one from trumpers that I couldn’t wait to wash off.

Astor by Geo F Trumper

This one begins very similar to Marlborough with that pencil shaving smokiness and a hint of citrus. Whereas the geranium takes over and projects great longevity with Marlborough, this one has a pine and oakmoss note that dominates. Though this offering doesn’t last long and like many of Trumper scents this is the norm. Probably the worst of the classics from GFT, though not displeasing. Overall just Meh.

Curzon by Geo F Trumper

This one is much more dryer than the other traditional GFT offerings (Wellington, Astor, Marlborough) and unlike the aforementioned ones this one has no real smokiness to it. There is a subtle lavender in the opening and some light sweetness, though nothing too sweet. At the heart the oakmoss takes over with force and you are left with a natural mossy fragrance. Longevity is very short and overall though nice, this one doesn’t do much for me.

Eucris by Geo F Trumper

This is a very complex one. A mixture of spices, blackcurrant, and oakmoss. Spicy and soapy. The opening is a sharp, peppery accord that settles down into a peppery woods scent. The mossy, musky base comes through after awhile. Something about all this does not wear well on me though. One reviewer mentioned smelling like motor oil and I can say after reading that it hits it spot on. I appreciate this for what it is, but don’t think it could work for me.

GFT by Geo F Trumper

One of the best citrus based scents period. Opens with a nice lemon and citrus accord that actually stays present throughout, though fades a little as expected. With the heart comes the herbal notes based mainly on tarragon with the citrus ever present. Slight woodsy notes show up towards the end. Longevity on this one is excellent and this is hands down one of the best citrus fragrances in a crowded field.

Lavender Water by Geo F Trumper

Another of Trumpers true to the name. Opens with a blast of lavender, though still very light and nothing like Oxford & Cambridge. The Lavender lingers for a bit and is replaced by a slight oakmoss accord. Again, true to Trumpers formula. I find this one ok though nothing great compared to a number of other lavender waters out there.

Marlborough by Geo F Trumper

A hint of citrus opens this one up, but quickly becomes a smoky scent for a couple hours. The review hinting towards pencil shavings hits this part of the fragrance spot on. The geranium is there from the get go, but becomes more pronounced in the heart. Some musky/woods pop up towards the end. This is a very classic masculine scent and surprised me in a good way.

Portugal by Geo F Trumper

A very nice classic eau de cologne. A bright citrus opening accented with orange and orange peel. Longevity lasts fairly long on me for this type, though the lemon notes I detect in the opening fade quickly. A nicely done fragrance, but I enjoy C&S Neroli much more.

Sandalwood Cologne by Geo F Trumper

A very sweet and creamy laden sandalwood. A nice opening of citrus and herbs followed by the sweetness of tonka and vanilla chiming in. The sandalwood is faint, but ever present and I wouldn’t really classify this as a traditional sandalwood fragrance that veers to the light, dry and airy side. This is really a sweet, vanilla fragrance laced with hints of sandalwood and patchouli. Very creamy and long lasting. I actually quite enjoy this for what it is and not for what it says on the front of the bottle.

Wellington Cologne by Geo F Trumper

This is very, very similar to Pen’s BB. Has a very nice lemon opening that I find not too strong ala BB. As with most citrus based scents, this fades over time and a nice green pine note emerges with subtle lemon in the background. I may not be into this type of scent in general, but find this more enjoyable than BB as that has a “BO” type of note that doesn’t agree with me. Longevity is average.

Wild Fern by Geo F Trumper

A very classic fougere. Pen’s English Fern is definitely my favorite from this variety, but comes across pretty sharp and harsh at times. Wild Fern is a much more subdued green scent with oakmoss accords. I didn’t detect any lavender in the opening, which in my opinion a true fougere should have. Overall you can tell this is made from quality ingredients, though it is pretty weak. Longevity on me is in the 4-5 hour range. This one is very close to vintage FR (lucky enough to have a sample of this), though no where like the newly released FG (which I don’t think is a fougere at all). If Pen’s is too strong for you, but you like this type of scent, then Wild Fern will be perfect.

kayley123's avatar

Joy Comes From Within by Creative Scentualization

I would give this a 3.5 if I could; I liked the creamy, sweet top notes, but I wasn't so fond of the middle and drydown. It smelled slightly synthetic and more floral and musky than I wanted.

Njtnjt's avatar

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

My signature scent. It lasts a long time on my skin and has a nice dark feel to it. I love the spicy Oriental vibe. 2 thumbs up.

24th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 25th September, 2011)

Onda Parfum Extrait by Vero Profumo

Saying that Onda EDP is a challenging composition would be like considering Marcel Proust and easy read. Onda is far beyond being just challenging, is weird, destabilizing and unusual but at the same time "cultured". It is built around a solid structure that shows many characteristic of classic perfumery and adds a bizarre, sort of futuristic, accord of passion fruit and vetiver that together with floral pattenrs and ginger gives birth to a strange blend that sits somewhere between a disinfectant, a mass destruction weapon and pure luxury. Overall Onda smells salty/sweet with fresh nuances, flowery with acidic/unripe fruits and definitely sulfurous (urine?). While all of this may sound disencouraging, I still believe that Onda deserves our respect as one of the most intriguing, complex and original compositions around. Onda, more than like a proper fragrance, sounds like a declaration of intent that says "I'm here, and I'm here to stay!".

On the other hand the extrait de parfum is, paradoxically, more familiar. Don't get me wrong, it's still far from being easy to wear or "pretty" but, its chypre-y animalic leather structure brings, somehow, to mind of the beloved Djedi. A loud vetiver-leather concoction that moves on the thin line between glory and precipice, between a luxurious smell and a revolting stink. Earthy, animalic and almost disturbing yet extremely compelling. Onda was definitely an ambitious and risky project just like doing tightrope walking between two skyscrapers. It took some skills and a guts but Vero Kern has successfully managed to walk to the other side. Chapeau.

Two of the most challenging and compelling compositions that I've ever experienced. By all means niche stuff.

24th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 23rd October, 2011)