Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Next to Absithe by Nasomatto but more sweetly spicy and aromatic and  less earthy and incensey. A deep breath of mountain that comprises all the aromatic, bitter and sweet elements of the forest. The olfactory agreement of spices-blackcurrant-ginger-distillate of anise plus aromatic-balsamic plants and a touch of pepper produces a sparkling almost liquorous and anyway fizzy initial blast that delights the senses and discloses the lungs. In a while the spicy-aromatic-resinous breath is strengthened by all the power of the conifers of the base that teleport you in the middle of the forest by a prickly balsamic breeze. A very woodsy fragrance with a mild pleasant core, a touch of leather in its composition and a good level of boldness.

24 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 23 November, 2011)

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

Fahrenheit 32 is a great fragrance, but it takes some guts to wear. For the first 1-2 hours, it smells like a powdery woman's perfume.

After you get past that period, the fragrance is very unique. If you want a vanilla base note fragrance, this should be the one. No other fragrance is like Fahrenheit 32.

The longevity is more than great. It might actually be too much. I shower twice a day, and I can still smell the fragrance after more than 24 hours.

This is not even remotely close to the original Fahrenheit. Therefore, your opinion on the original Fahrenheit will not influence your perception 32.

I really like the bottle decision. It is the same exact model as the original Fahrenheit, but I love the white gradient.

Fahrenheit 32 is one of my favorites.

Adidas Fresh Impact Limited Edition by Adidas

You get what you pay for and you are really not going to pay much for this.

Just a simple everyday scent to wear to school, work, home, and gym.

It smells fresh and really good for the money. I would not wear this to the club or a formal place.

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

Emporio Armani Diamonds is a very unique smelling fragrance. A good fragrance to try if you like Armani, and you are sick of everyone wearing Armani Acqua Di Gio.

To my nose, it has a flowery, sweet, candy like smell while still being masculine.

It smells really good, but the longevity is awful. Longevity for me is 4 hours max with good smell. Then after that time period, it is almost all gone. Keep in mind this is true even if I cover every square inch of my body with this fragrance. A good fragrance to wear right before you got out for a couple of hours. I would not wear this as an every day scent or for a long event.

After a while of wearing this fragrance, many people like this. Some thought it was Armani Black Code. Since this has poor longevity on me, I would consider Armani Black Code before considering Diamonds.

I love the bottle design.

Cool Water by Davidoff

Cool Water could be the most popular fragrance ever. I have no reason to tell you how it smells like, because there are so many other reviews.

All I am going to say is, buy the smaller bottles. With anything large, you are taking a chance for reduced longevity. Many other people said that the larger bottles do not have as much longevity. The smaller bottles seem more concentrated; therefore, I would stick with them.

Furthermore, I feel as though there is a slight difference in smell with every bottle of Cool Water. Davidoff needs to confront this issue. Many other said the same thing. I can use a test spray at Dillards, then use a test spary a Macy's, and I notice both smell different.

Try to get your hands the older versions of Cool Water if you can.

Very nice bottle design.

Armani Privé Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani

Simply stunning and standing on the highest places of my personal incense based fragrances parade, just few steps behind those pillars as my lord Black Tourmaline and others favourite of mine as Norma Kamali Incense, Tauer's Incense Extreme, Shams by Memo (which is an aoud based fragrance but nicely incensey in its olfactory outcome), Incensi Villoresi, Messe de Minuit Etro, Kyoto CDG and Dzongkha. Averagely "bodied" (but initially a bit rubbery, resinous and almost dense), incensey and balanced enough to be ranked as a real dark and gothic incense based fragrance in its dusty boise liturgical soul. The juice itsel, starting with a real dusty and pungent blast (black pepper, juniper, spices), evolves towards a slightly rooty and woodsy real incense with the green-dark boise' boldness of the vetiver and hints of secret patchouli. The outcome is a cool-warm whiff of resinous conifers, cedar and smoky frankincense  while the smoothing elements (not listed....,labdanum, florals, amber?) are minimally dosed and hidden just in order to barely  sweeten the juice and to introduce a touch of marketing  appeal. The mildness of woods and some resins enhance the pleasure of the final issue that is surprisingly bold, modern and charismatic in comparison with many of the other incensed fragrances (many of those are too introspective  and out of time). The smell itsel and the relative atmosphere remind a bit those coming from some burning candles or oils in a shadowy room. The packaging is excellent, the price is dreadful. Highly recommended anyway.

24 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 September, 2012)

PeteH's avatar

Oud Cuir D'Arabie by Montale

I've been wearing this stuff for about a year now. It's a huge, raunchy, unique fragrance. It lasts for many, many hours.

The opening of d'Arabie is confronting - in fact, my partner described the top-notes, straight out of the bottle, as "disgusting". The notes of feces and wet animal last for about 15 minutes, before the sweetness of the oud and the dark leather become much more evident. To my nose, the fragrance stays fairly linear for the rest of the journey, apart from about 2 hours in when a quiet, very good quality rose note appears, and persists deep into the dry-down.

Right at the bottom, after about 8 hours, the fragrance is reminiscent of old, old leather furniture.

This is a fantastic fragrance. Difficult to wear, for sure, but easy to love. I wear it frequently, in all sorts of settings, and it has often proven to be controversial. Nonetheless, if you are the type, like me, who believes "spray and be damned!", then you'll love it.

24 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 October, 2012)

drseid's avatar

Fahrenheit Absolute by Christian Dior

A mild thumbs down on Absolute. It really does not remind me of the incredible original Fahrenheit at all. Instead I get Cartier Declaration, but leather and oud instead of fresh. Also like Declaration, the dreaded "BO" note that made me dislike that one makes an unwanted appearance... I think there must be some cumin in here even though it is not listed in the official notes. In any case, I don't loathe Absolute, I just don't like it and when you can easily buy the classic original for reasonable money, why buy this? 2 to 2.5 stars out of 5.

24 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 December, 2012)

cutypi's avatar

Incense Rosé by Tauer

Classically Andy. There is something extraordinary about his fragrances. This one brings you in searching for more with a pin point precision exercising the olfactory without overwhelming. Reminiscent of rose bouquets at church during high holy days. Incense, rose, sandalwood, cedar and amber. It's very yummy!

Gregory's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Sicily by Dolce & Gabbana

My mother recieved this bottle for her birthday and I was very curious about what it would smell like. I really like to share my opinions with her.

Since I have never smelled a dolche & gabbana fragrance before, I was intreged but once I smelled it I was very disappointed and so was my mother!

At the beginning I gave it a chance; it wasn't that horible since I could detect some notes that were slightly intresting. It changed very quickly into a generic (?), boring soapy toilet cleaner smell.. How other people smell sofistication in this one is really not what I would agree with. It smells rather cheap. My mother has 3 euro perfumes that smell muuuch better than this one.

The box looks very classy but what is inside is just poorly made... I don't know it just doesn't smell good and I am sure there are much better perfumes for women than this one. My mother said she will give it to my grandmother, because to her it smelled like old lady perfume. Honestly I think it would stink on my grandmother too.

yes I put some on my hand and the smell almost made me feel sick!

I wouldn't recommend this at al!

Café-Café Puro pour Homme by Cofinluxe

Strange fragrance that starts citrusy and a bit herbal and evolves in something woody, very very spicy  and dirty with a chemical undertone of smoked coffee that is prickly and pungent by hints of black pepper. The burnt electronic circuit effect the other reviewers talked about is produced by the interaction of coffee, woods and black pepper with an hint of synthetic smoke. The fragrance stands dry, dusty and dirty in the "fragrantic" universe. Poor longevity and low price.

sherapop's avatar

Stecca by Hilde Soliani Profumi

Hilde Soliani Profumi STECCA would be a must-have perfume—if only I were a caterpillar. Seriously, I'm a bit baffled as to why anyone of non-caterpillar origins would want to smell as though he or she spent the day picking tomatoes.

I've tried a few other perfumes with tomato leaf as a note: Annick Goutal PASSION and FOLAVRIL and Emilio Pucci SOLE 149. Unlike those complex compositions, STECCA uses tomato leaf not as one among a number of mutually complementary notes, but as the focal—and seemingly the only—note. Okay, so maybe that was a novel idea—who would have thought?

Then again, I do believe that this Big New Idea derives directly from Demeter. In fact, now that I think about it, tomato leaf may well already be on Demeter's either actual or prospective list of smells to re-create in spritz-on form. But even evaluated on its own terms, as a part of the Teatro series, STECCA fails, since the tomatoes which disgruntled audience members might have thrown at the actors on stage would have smelled like tomatoes, not green leaves and vines.

Needless to say, I'm unimpressed.

sherapop's avatar

Mangiami Dopo Teatro by Hilde Soliani Profumi

Melon is a notoriously difficult note for me, so I have to give Hilde Soliani some credit for reproducing a faithful rendition of this fruit with MANGIAMI DOPO TEATRO. This fresh and juicy melon seems to be a honeydew-cantaloupe hybrid, but it is very natural smelling from start to finish. Unlike some of the melon-centric perfumes I've sniffed, this one does not rot and begin to attract flies or serve as an effective emetic.

Another one-note wonder, this member of the TEATRO series would have perhaps been livened up with a thin slice of prosciutto, but the real question is: how does this melon hang with SIPARIO (curtain)? According to some reviewers, SIPARIO is a piña colada facsimile. According to my nose, SIPARIO includes two distinct stages: tart dextrose candy à la Pixie Stix followed by an abrupt switch to a strong coconut-based suntan lotion scent. But even if I concede the piña colada, I don't see how it is supposed to mesh with the melon.

Oh well.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I find this one far too feminine, very powdery, smells a bit like talcum powder, would be a good seller if it were a fragrance for women perhaps..

Mandate by Eden Classics

smells old, cheap and offputting

Fire & Ice for Men by Revlon

Costs cheap but smells cheaper, very feminine, i would say it actualy is a womens fragrance, very powdery and sweet, deffo not my type of fragrance

Paul Smith London for Men by Paul Smith

I kinda liked this but not enough to say much about it, a little sweet smelling, reminded me of coconut for some reason, id wear it maybe to a nightclub or something like that

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

Too spicy.. and thats about all there is..

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Very boring, lifeless, offputting

From Smoke's avatar

Vanille Tonka by Nicolaï

Vanille Tonka Experience Diary:

At Spray: What lovely limes! So luscious! So bright and fresh!

1 min. in: Well, that's done. No surprise, citrus seldom lasts but it was delightful

1min. in continued: Where is everybody? There's a party somewhere, but not here.

5 mins. in: Two parties! A top notes party (sweet) and a base notes party (dry) no blend.

15 mins in: Now we've got mingling! Par-tay! Great quality ingredients and balance!

30 mins. in: Beautiful silage: A golden song of Orange blossom and Vanilla.

1 hour in: What's that dusty bit on skin? Growing... growing... not to my taste...

2 hours in: It's the cinnamon! not loud but inescapable. tainting everything...

3 hours in: Everything fading. Sickish cinnamon going with the rest. fading.

4 hours in: Largely gone-- what a ride!

Conclusion: Beautiful structure, beautiful citrus top note, beautiful silage (possibly the best I've ever smelt) but the cinnamon (dusty, hot, throat-closing) doesn't sit well with me. Pervades the fragrance and makes it a (regretted) no go.

Recommendation Recommendation Try more PdN work pronto!

khrystyna's avatar

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

amazing in the beginning (strong and leathery, no hint of sweetness and compromise), however became a generic floral-sweetish on my skin later on. i was quite disappointed.

Keiwan's avatar

Iran Iran

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

M7 is a part of a perfume history for sure.
    This scent is still odd while it passes about ten years from the day it'd been launched. Odd, monster and erotic; a lady trap. But of course disturbing as well. Actually the border between being lovely or hateful is narrower than string.
    This is extremely oriental, extremely woody and dusty which reminds desert evening when it's going to get cool but is still hot. This scent is both modern and classic.

Keiwan's avatar

Iran Iran

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Kouros illustrates the name exactly, a young male, so sexy, so heavy and so strong.
    This is such a incensy woody oriental perfume which base reminds me Indian incense sticks; smoky, burning and dry.
    An erotic bomb definitely.

Wise Owl's avatar

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Sweet and clean, but very weak and watery as well which is a shame as I really wanted to like this one. It's interesting that this was created by the same person who created the original Polo too as Polo Blue seems to be the exact polar opposite of the powerhouse original. Unfortunately though despite the interesting fragrance notes this really is nothing special.

Wise Owl's avatar

Storm for Men by Storm

I'd been contemplating buying Storm for Men for quite a few months before I finally decided to take the plunge. However I’d always been put off buying it by the seemingly cheap and tacky looking bottle. You know what they say though, 'never judge a book by its cover' and that phrase is seemingly appropriate with this one as the juice it's contains is really rather nice. Storm is a sweet and sporty scent and the notes of peppermint and lavender are the ones that tend to dominate. Great value for money too as it can be picked up in lots of places fairly inexpensively, and silage and longevity are both very good too for the price.

alfarom's avatar

Rêve en Cuir by Indult

Here's anther one who doesn't have the popularity it should deserve. Reve En Cuir is one of the most original interpretation of leather in years. A gourmandic oriental leather. Yes, it has some sweetness and an edible feel to it but at the same time it's "dangerous" and "mysterious", somehow "dusty". Kurkdjian has been able to successfully juxtapose to the classic french perfumery chrisms (luxury, refinement, elegance) a rebellious / unconventional vibe. Cuir En Reve smells exactly like a bearded biker having a coffee break in a cakeshop specialized in high confectionery and Kurkdjian's mastery made it looks (smell) so natural.

Don't get me wrong, CER is far from being overly sweet or cloying or even dirty, it is more of a subtle scent, rich but not overpowering. Its perfect balance between spices, patchouli and vanilla juxtaposed to a gentle leather note, woods and vetiver makes of it an incredibly satisfying compositions that's also very wearable.

Downside: extremely pricey.

alfarom's avatar

Homme Exceptionnel by Montblanc

A citrusy/lavander opening with herbal/aromatic undertones turning into the usual synthetic woody/ambery base. I think I've seen this before.

Sel Marin by Heeley

This one opens up with dominant citrus chord guaranteed by bergamot and lemon, without leaving behind a very salty smell resembling perfectly a bright sea breeze aroma. A very linear fragrance perfectly made for hot days. Even tough I don't love (but I like) the juice, I will give a thumbs up because among aquatic fragrances, this is the best so far, capturing perfectly the sea aroma.

Wazamba by Parfum d'Empire

Wazamba starts with incense and myrrh right on the spot, associated with a very evident resinous combo, but without being too pungent. The opening does not screams in your face since a light apple aroma kicks in leaving things softly. Anyway, a very pleasant fragrance that I recommend to everyone to at least try it instead of only look to Ambre Russe.

Black Aoud by Montale

Black Aoud starts out with a pure medicinal note of Aoud accompanied by rose. Very, very strong! It basically screams to everyone else: AOUD+ROSE!!!!

Through time the Aoud note begins to decay (when talking about Black Aoud, decays = looses 10% of it's power) giving an even more evident space to roses where the fragrance starts to get better on my skin but even with this happening, I still can't enjoy this fragrance. Too overpowering to my nose, and with a lot of roses in it.

Advise: you only need the 20mL bottle of this fragrance. Anything more than that and it will stay in your collection for generations! 1, 2 sprays max and you're done.