Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Black Aoud by Montale

Black Aoud starts out with a pure medicinal note of Aoud accompanied by rose. Very, very strong! It basically screams to everyone else: AOUD+ROSE!!!!

Through time the Aoud note begins to decay (when talking about Black Aoud, decays = looses 10% of it's power) giving an even more evident space to roses where the fragrance starts to get better on my skin but even with this happening, I still can't enjoy this fragrance. Too overpowering to my nose, and with a lot of roses in it.

Advise: you only need the 20mL bottle of this fragrance. Anything more than that and it will stay in your collection for generations! 1, 2 sprays max and you're done.

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Gold Man by Amouage

Gold opens with a rich floral notes, specially Lily-of-the-valley and rose that together makes me think about a vanilla aroma. Strange since you can't find it on the notes. Anyway, very different from what I was expecting: an incense based fragrance like Jubilation XXV, Epic Man and even Ciel Man. The drydown gives you an animalic combo around the civet note.

A dated fragrance to my nose. Not pleasant at all compared to masterpieces like Jub. XXV, Epic Man.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Aimez-Moi by Caron

AIMEZ-MOI. What a distracting scent! There is something evocative about it that keeps my mind from note exploration which is not necessarily a bad thing.

The effervescent minty top combines exceedingly well with a mildly powdery violet to give a delightful buoyancy to the central anise accord and the accompanying floral/woods arrangement, gently projecting a profile that is airy, softly sweet with woodsy nuances. I found it hard not to like this delightful little number even if the best part about the drydown is the excuse it offers me to reapply this fragrance again & bask in its cheerful glow all over again. I think it would be terrific on a vivacious young woman.

Menthe Fraiche / Fresh Mint / Eau de Menthe by Heeley

An unpretentious (but successful) attempt to create a non-toothpaste mint fragrance. Lemony-mint on top (smells much like verbena and mint) on a smooth and very natural cedarwood/musky base. Mission accomplished.

LadyDragonFire's avatar

Caldey Island Lavender by Caldey Abbey Perfumes

I don't hate this, but honestly, the musk is far too strong. It seems oddly unbalanced, it should smell more like lavender.

sherapop's avatar

Vecchi Rossetti by Hilde Soliani Profumi

I was immediately struck by the similarity of Hilde Soliani Profumi VECCHI ROSSETTI to Bvlgari's first fragrance, POUR FEMME, created by Sophia Grojsman back in 1994. The key links are the violets and the roses, but there is also a glamorous—even theatrical—quality to both of these resinous perfumes. In a side-by-side comparison, I find that BVLGARI POUR FEMME is richer and more complex to my nose—which makes a lot of sense given the vast range of notes present in that composition, as compared to the modest number included in VECCHI ROSSETTI.

So I guess that Sophia Grojsman has outshined the competition once again. I'm not one to charge perfumers with plagiarism, and I certainly don't think that a niche perfumer such as Hilde Soliani would consciously copy a famous perfume and then charge more for the so-called knock-off than the original costs, but I do think that Sophia Grojsman has managed to stake so many claims to so many clearly identifiable segments of the grand olfactory map that she represents a force to be reckoned with! She seems to possess a particular form of perfumic genius which is able to identify uncharted territory and make it her own in an iconic perfume against which all others in the same neighborhood (but created later on down the line) are bound to be invariably measured.

sherapop's avatar

Bell'Antonio by Hilde Soliani Profumi

Interesting. BELL'ANTONIO seems obviously masculine to me and offers a scent not unlike that which I imagine would be produced by a bit of pipe tobacco mingling with lint in the pocket of an old abandoned cardigan sweater. Like I said: interesting.

I would not want to wear this composition myself, but it might have real appeal for the guys out there who love a wide range of tobacco fragrances. This one is slightly dirty in a dusty (linty!) way.

orangefiction's avatar

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Powdery and smokey notes over the original l'homme base can come off as having a perfumey smell. Projects like a beast. I much prefer the original fresh and clean l'homme. If you want powdery done right I would go with l'instant instead of this one.

Le Boise by Ginestet

Ginestet is to wine as Frapin is to cognac and just like Frapin, Ginestet have now launched a line of fragrances. Le Boise is their only masculine so far and and shoud be "a tribute to Bordeaux wine aged in oak barrels, to the wood and to that skillful combination of matter, skill and know-how". To me it's mainly cedarwood with a slight (very slight) boozy accord on top and a tiny dose of vanilla. It sits somewhere between Gucci Rush For Men (but way more refined) and Heeley's Cedre Blanc (but slightly harsher). Not bad but it's gone in a minute...

colormechris's avatar

Photo by Lagerfeld

I have had a mini of this for years, and every time I try it, I'm just...confused. I guess that's the best word. Maybe it's the concept I don't understand. Or the fact that it's in the same bottle as Lagerfeld "Classic". Except it's black and meant to remind one of a camera. So I guess in my mind I'm thinking...sporty version of Lagerfeld classic. But then I smell it and it's nothing at all like Lagerfeld classic, which further adds to the confusion. And then the scent itself is so thin I can't get a bead on it...so I end up putting the mini back on the shelf. But not today. I made a point to put on a lot of the stuff so that I could really follow it through its progression. And I've been doing that while I've been reading the other reviews. Shamu, The Cologneist...all have really nailed down what Photo is all about. And it makes perfect sense that it came out in 1990. It's a tamped down powerhouse with elements of (at that time) the newly emerging fresh acquatic notes. And now I'm certain it just doesn't do it for me. It's missing that X factor that a fragrance needs to distinguish it. I can't really explain this X factor, but I think most of you will understand what I mean. Lagerfeld classic had this X factor. KL had the X factor. Photo doesn't. It's not bad, now that I understand it, but for me it's not unique enough to actually wear. Whatever the driving note in Drakkar Noir is; is a note that is in Photo as well...and I 've discovered it's a note I really don't cotton to.

Parfum d'Habit by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Balance and strict moderation in the dosage of elements in the way that the woody and resinous notes, the leather, the incensey touch and the rooty-earthy ingredients are placed in a sublime and perfect balancement. What does it mean? It means that this assertive, unsociable and discreet fragrance is hardly ranking and placing in a specific genre and that is ancient and modern at once. Each note, furthermore, expresses itsel in its moderate, almost apologetic facet evoiding each bombastic and fiercing kind of behaviour. The opening, under my nose, is a bit aggressive and dusty with a blast of citrus, earthy notes and pine's resins whirling in a dusty-incensey cloud coming from the background. Few time later the raw feel of the juice starts fading towards a averagely bodied silkiness made of dry sandalwood, resins, a touch of balsams and leather. The leathery feel is prominent above all due the clever usage of amber and a whiff of vanilla that soften the roothness, levigate the woodsy resins and let the yard free to the leather with its smell of leathery goods as purses and jackets. The outcome is a woodsy and leathery dry down with a touch of incense and smoke and with a sort of old  clothings kind of undertone. Its assertive but at once charismatic incensey temperament reminds a bit the one of Trussardi Uomo whose the watery lavender starting and the heavy complexity make the smell a bit dated in comparison with the more modern and strict minimalism of Parfum d'Habit. Longevity and sillage are more than good.

25th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 28th September, 2011)

Preludio d'Oriente by Calé

This is an hidden gem. One of those fragrances that fly under the radar but should definitely deserve much more attention.

Preludio D'Oriente moves in the same direction as other compositions a-la Avignon / Cardinal but where these two stay pretty linear in reproducing the liturgical frankincense, PDO is enriched by dark dry woods, leather and a tiny amount of oud. The opening is quite severe with a consistent incense note enhanced in its lemony aspect by astringent artemisia and citruses. Dry woods and leather join the party right away turning the fragrance into a darker and misterious composition that continuely moves on the thin line bewteen harshness and warmness while manitaining a perfect balance. Oud is subtle, toned down, restrained and used just to give some extra boldness to this marvellous composition.

Embracing, dark and misterious. Top quality stuff!

25th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 29th October, 2011)

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

It smells like a Boss's kind of fragrance and i don't use to love those. This is a chip aromatic-green, watery and slighty aquatic. The initial blast of greens, citrus and grapefruit produces a sort of minty, metallic, "watermelon-green apple kind" sort of smell that becomes aromatic because of the mixture of birch leaves, conifers, thyme, rosemary, coriander, resins and other different kind of herbs. The smell at this stage is almost balsamic while the following development tames the mentholated feel as well as the scent becomes  mossy with an almost evanescent  patchouli insertion. Unfortunately under my nose the woodsy temperament is overstated by the synthetic role of the aquatic notes, by the metal feel and by the angular effect of strong citruses. This boredom  lasts till the end.

25th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 22nd November, 2011)

freddiefingers's avatar

Pontaccio 21 by Gianfranco Ferré

I do have the deodorant spray of this.it's really just a lighter version of this and goes for a fraction of what it will cost for this one.anyone interested can contact me

This is clearly ok for the older folks.I would only wear this to church,a funeral and above get rid of unwanted guests who I know will sneeze at this

25th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st December, 2011)

Bel Ami by Hermès

This review is for the current formulation and is necessary the specification since I suppose the vintage formula was a step beyond. Not as much compelling under my nose as several further leather pillars as Derby, Knize Ten, Cuiron, Habit Rouge or Parfum d'Habit but a well orchestrated and opulent leathery concoction for sure although many told that the old formulation was a different, higher level. Anyway Bel Ami is an opulent spicy-floral and leathery chypre that starts with a vintage bergamot-neroli accord followed by a deep floral naïf soul represented by spicy carnation, dusty iris and exotic ylang-ylang before morphing down towards an encompassing sort of orangy-woody dry down with a synthetic leathery undertone. The dry down, with its touch of acidity, is sweetly aromatic and somewhat incensey but it slightly disappoints me because I find it slightly too linear and lacking a certain dosage of woodsiness, earthiness, "realism" or changeability, namely trails that different fragrances as Habit Rouge, Aramis and JHL embody in a more satisfactory way (the note of vetiver is here too much "civilized" for my full pleasure, the vanilla and hidden resins usage comes finally out somewhat caramellous and resinous- stirax?- and the lack of a stout patchouli reduces boldness and exoticism). A faint dirtiness in the blend induces me to notice several similarities with the classic but far more dirty/earthy Aramis which is less floral, less silky/leathery and decidedly more woodsy, vegetal and "rural". A respectful classic above all anyway. Longevity and sillage are less faint in comparison with other from Hermes.

25th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th July, 2014)

Sybarite's avatar

L'Antimatière by LesNez

An absolute GENIUS of a fragrance ! ~ Luv it , luv it , LUV IT !!!
    This has surely got to be THE master of "Skin-Scents" !? If I were able to chose how I'd want my own skin to smell naturally, this would be it !
    It's therefore my immediate go-to fragrance whenever I'm not particularly in the mood to be too overtly scented (or just can't make up my mind ;o) and just want to have "naturally" good smelling skin. As it's not exactly a very "perfume" perfume type scent. And more bound to elicit a compliment such as : "you smell good" as apposed to : "the fragrance you wearing smells good".

I think it's one of the best "skin-musk" scent on the market ! And also one of the best pure plain unadorned representations of the scent of natural true authentic ambergris. (At least it certainly smells very closely redolent of my genuine whale "hair-ball" ambergris tincture.)
    Though barely perceptible at times, it's nevertheless still incredibly tenacious, lasting easily a good 12hrs or more on my skin. Though very light at first, it does unusually increase in potency as it progresses, becoming much stronger towards the heart and drydown of the scent. It never however becomes loud or heavy, preferring to stay close to the skin throughout.
    An accomplished minimalist fragrance, though certainly not for everyone.
    It's unusual character and definitive musky "animalic" nature bound to make it one of those dividing "luv-it" or "hate-it" type scents. You'll either "get-it" and enjoy it's innovative concept, or just won't nor even understand those who might. It's lack of immediate scent is due mostly to the missing usual top-notes. The scent only beginning to "bloom" on the skin about 30 to 45 min after first being spray. ~ It's a brave perfumer who composes & releases a fragrance lacking in all top-notes. (Seeing as these are usually what most base their immediate impressions of a scent upon). ...
    I especially suggest therefore that sampling first would be most wise. This is not a scent to risk a "blind buy" on, that's for sure ! ...

In the light of all these reasons, I think the quirky naming of L'Antimatière's (i.e. Antimatter) is particularly witty and actually most fitting. And also especially as it will serve too as an interesting particularity. As L'antimatière is composed of mostly a cocktail of just various musks and little else. It therefore will work perfectly as a sort of musk anosmia detector. ~ So if you happen to be one of those who thinks L'antimatière smells like just a quick burst of alcohol followed by no scent at all. Unable to smell pretty much anything throughout the entire life of the scent. (Although do remember to wait that "30/45min buffer" I mentioned earlier, before coming to an erroneous conclusion). Then it's quite probable that you're one of the approx' ±3% unfortunate musk anosmics.
    ~ How cool is that !?

Vetiver by Floris

This starts out as a relatively dusty, brownish vetiver, with a little of the sweet nuttiness of the older versions of Guerlain Vetiver. More woodiness enters later in the top notes, but also an earthiness, like a more natural version of the synthetic violetty dirt that I recently found in He Wood and Rocky Mtn Wood. There's anise hiding in there as well, which slightly works to dispel the dirt aura. FV isn't really what I had in mind in exploring vetiver frags, and I think if you want the sweet woodiness, you should go for Fat Electrician or better yet L'Occitane. I agree that its crude, rustic vibe is an interesting change, but I think it's too much geranium and cedar for me, based on OdysseusM's pyramid. I'm not well-versed in the really dirty, earthy vetivers, but I can certainly say that this is a strong, sturdy scent, and as others have described it, a wild beast which has been carefully restrained.

Royal Water by Creed

I wasn't even going to get a vial of this quasi-EdC, but my friend had a duplicate. My disclaimer here is that the stuff is so weak, even by Creed or EdC standards, that it's actually difficult to review. Initially it's a vague but very sharp lemon with some florals that lend a slight creamy aspect. It smells like it could practically give you heartburn with so much sourness. Once that dissipates, the milkiness of the florals becomes more apparent, and gives it a slight "expensive guest soap" vibe, which is unexpected and nice, though it definitely causes the fragrance to turn suddenly from fairly masculine to much more feminine. Whatever's left has a surpisingly natural grassiness, with just a hint of sweet dusty wood, and might almost be like one of the less over-the-top drugstore air fresheners ("summer breeze", "crisp linens"?). I'm just not sure that this would do me any good applied to my body or clothing; the scent is too "under the radar", and it would be gone in a flash on skin.

Chèvrefeuille Original by Creed

I recall the smell of the honeysuckle bushes that covered the slope leading down to the parking lot at my elementary school. Unless they meant for this to smell like the leaves or stems of honeysuckle, and not the flowers, it's a complete misnomer. The very top notes are OK, with restrained florals over a very sharp green, but it doesn't take long for a bitter minty lime monster to creep in and ruin the party. This stage is heady and dark, burning my sinuses with a bitter chemical green. Fortunately this starts to disappear after a while and the florals make their cautious return over a slight rotted wood note. I remember this taking a lot longer on previous testings of CO, though, which caused the burning sensation to last longer. In the end, it's not a bad semi-floral unisex green scent, but there's a slight sulfurous edge. Plus, my nose is already super fatigued just from smelling those top and mid notes to write this review. Fortunately, the urinal cake note in the far drydown was still not lost on me.

Vetiver 46 by Le Labo

As interesting as this stuff is, I didn't really find it to be very vetiver-prominent. It opens with a really intriguing mixture of spices: sweet and very sharp, reminiscent of incense. The sharpness slowly beomes muted, leaving what to me is a just slightly "greened-up" version of a standard incense...basically Avignon, which unfortunately has a bit of a cloying edge to me. This edge fades away somewhat into the base, though, leaving some sweet exotic woods behind, of which vetiver is a part, but certainly not any more than you'd find in the base of any other woody scent. Frankincense also reveals itself rather late into the base notes, giving a creaminess to the wood. Personally, since I expected vetiver, and since I already have sample vials of CdG 2 Man, Sequoia, and their whole incence series, I nearly dismissed LLV46 as a waste of time, but it does smell good. I doubt that I'll ever prefer sharp, incensey wood over regular old sweet, creamy wood, but this frag succeeds somewhat in splitting the difference.

Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords by Penhaligon's

I probably should have done a side-by-side with Tiffany, Chanel PM, and PMC, based on forum comments. Initially very promising, it opens with a pleasant (non-acidic, non-fizzy) lemon over anisy barbershop-type spices, a top that I'd expect to herald a good wood scent farther along. It seems to get a bit weaker after the first few minutes and the lemon gets duller, sweeter and more powdery, like a lemon analog of the orange in Habit Rouge. It develops just the slightest bit of "wild/english fern" type herbal green in the mid notes, and initially remains more spice-oriented than that group, until the spices recede more and the ferny-ness becomes more apparent. In the end, I feel like I'm left with a sweet spice/wood scent that would be really great if not for the intrusion of powdery, anisy and ferny notes which I would prefer not to have. Their Opus 1870, while built around a different selection of wood notes (more cedar), feels more uncontaminated to me because they've chosen ancillary notes that don't bother me as much: sharper spices and maybe a little fruit.

Jack Hunter's avatar

New York Oud by Bond No. 9

The only Oud you will find here is in the name.

From Smoke's avatar

Vanille Intense by Nicolaï

Vanille Intense Experience Diary:

First Spray: Confusion! Clamor! Chaos!

5 mins. in: Coming in to focus.. sweetness... Caramel? No. Creme Brulee? No...

10 mins. in: That's it! It's licorice! Very high quality, smooth, dark, rich licorice.

BAM! BAM! BAM!

"Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present... Jaipur Homme, by Boucheron."

(And it stayed that way for the rest of the day)

WTF?

Now, I like Jaipur Homme quite a bit, but I don't expect to find it 1. wearing the label "Vanille Intense" and 2. being offered at a niche price.

Conclusion: This fragrance is like paying Lalique to reproduce your Tupperware.

Recommendation: Although obviously of good quality materials, this is a seriously mislabeled fragrance. It should be called something like "Licorice Vanille Pour Homme" As such, it's fine-- but why spend the money on niche when good versions already exist in mass market?

odysseusm's avatar

Balenciaga Paris L'Essence by Balenciaga

I really have high expectations for scents which claim to be green.
    I found this to have nothing that I would call green. No "forest", no moss, no vetiver, no grass, no leaves. The violet leaves are of a particularly dense and metallic-sweet kind. The scent overall is very heavy, to my taste very sweet and closed-in.
    It lands like a clump on my skin and won't go away.
    I searched for some redeeming features... for my taste I couldn't find any.
    I really feel that this presented itself as a very loud and problematic scent. I didn't find it attractive at all. I did note a bit of leather-esque chord at the end. Ultimately, I had to wash it off after 15 minutes. Perhaps my skin just doesn't suit this. But green fans... don't expect too much from it.
    Where's my Ho Hang?...

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

a decent fragrance, a little sweet but not over the top, gives out a nice breeze, i liked it but wouldnt buy again

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

too powdery.. almost smells like fizzy candy.. far too feminine.. not my kind of fragrance..

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

this one is so sweet and powdery it hurts.. gives me a wierd feeling in my stomache.. not worth the price.. the citrus is totally abused.. just makes me smell like a toilet freshener..

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

one of my all time favorites.. makes a good signature fragrance.. dry and cool.. cant go wrong.. very masculine.. smells absolutely ace..

White Musk for Men by Body Shop

very musky and sweet.. i dont love or hate it but find it quite neutral.. i prefer white musk sport by the body shop.. its alot better and smells more expensive

Mogaidi's avatar

Modern for Her by Banana Republic

I love this perfume. I was introduced to it on a trip to Chicago when rooming with a friend. She had it and I fell in love. I went to get it and was told it was discontinued. So sad, but then I was at a banana outlet and they had oodles of it on clearance. I am bought about 5 bottles. I still find it on ebay too.

The scent is so clean, a tiny bit masculine, making it very modern and edgy in my opinion. It is sweet in a clean, green way, not in a sugary way. I love it!