Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

Mogaidi's avatar

Brit by Burberry

I usuallt hate any kind of vanilla scent and Brit smells a lot like vanilla to me. However, there is something fun and simple about it that I like. I like to wear it our with the girls for wine or to a fun daytime, summer event. Flirty and playful.

The_Cologneist's avatar

True Religion for Men by True Religion

Amazing modern leather fragrance here. Citrus top notes, well balanced with a modern sweet leather accord. Extremely linear, what ya sniff is what ya get. One set of notes for the most part -- citrus, woods, leather. Fades very quickly, so the longevity department is a fail. However, because it does smell so good, it gets a thumbs up by me.

If ya spray it on your clothing, you're assured a good 4-6 hours. Projection is about average, or slightly below. Bottle is a work of art, and very fitting to its smell. Although at first sniff, it may seem generic, but it really isn't. It's rather unique, as it combines citrus and leather superbly.. something I have yet to see the designer fragrance market to catch onto. If True Religion lasted longer, and projected better, it would be a big hit. Unfortunately, it gets sniffed once, and passed by. Give this one a few wearings before writing it off, as it really does have its own character.

Mogaidi's avatar

Metal Jeans Women by Versace

I love this scent. I knew someone who wore Versace Dreamer and it reminded me of that. Very sweet and flirty. However, I second the longevity comment. I would spray a ton on in order to have it last.

N'Aimez Que Moi by Caron

The heart of this vintage is the rose. But it does not sit alone. Violet, lilac & iris are listed but as support players they exist as nuances, and are not quite as easily identifiable as the central rose accord. To smell the rose, one has to get really close to the skin. It is a deep dark rose with a slight metallic tinge, certainly not of the dewy-fresh, budding variety. I'm testing the parfum which has depth to spare and unveils each layer at its own languid pace.

While I wouldn't exactly describe this bouquet as 'fusty', the freshly powdered aura represents a style that was popular in that era but may well be viewed as 'out of its time' particularly by a generation raised on a diet of 'instant gratification'. A true fragrance connoisseur however will have much less of a problem appreciating this composition from Ernest Daltroff.

Or et Noir by Caron

Deep, dark and luscious, OR ET NOIR is a classic rose soliflore destined for the lady who lives on the edge yet loves being the center of attention. Definitely not a rose for the blushing bride.

Coup de Fouet by Caron

A firecracker. And I meant that in the literal sense. Totally unexpected. Even when the fragrance finally settled down to a lightly spiced, mossy-floral blend, I was still entranced by the cracking opening. Enchanté.

nonnative's avatar

Lady Vengeance by Juliette Has a Gun

A good parfume. The three main notes (rose, patchuly, vanille) are perfectly distinct and well blended. Why, why can't I find this scent sofisticated and classy? Sorry but both this and the other juliettehasagun tester I have didn't entralled me. That's why it is not a thumb up.

Bonfire by Demeter Fragrance Library

A very delicate woodsmoke scent with a slightly sweet finish. Other reviews note a scent of hotdogs, which I cannot agree with. Aside from hotdogs smelling somewhat smoky, the similarity ends there. The scent is very light, does not leave much of a wake, but lingers on the application site for hours, becoming sweeter with time, with a final scent slightly reminiscent of fabric softener - mild, clean & fairly neutral.

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

A beautiful rosa canina and powder scent that is a bit vulgar at first, but mellows considerably upon drydown. Very feminine, not overwhelming (if applied with a light hand), clean and uplifting. I own this as EDP & parfum. I prefer the parfum as there is no initial vulgarity to the scent. It's more subtle, too, but lasts longer. The body powder & lotion are also lovely - I do not normally care for perfumed lotions or powders, but these smell true to scent. For me, the ultimate springtime scent.

Eternity by Calvin Klein

Looking over the fragrance notes, I have to laugh because my nose cannot isolate any of the listed scents. Clean, vaguely floral, but requires a delicate hand in application - it can be overwhelmingly strong. At times, this scent clashes with my body chemistry and smells almost spoiled, but gratefully, that doesn't often happen.

OVincze's avatar

Burberry Body by Burberry

Interestingly, completely disagree, check out my post on the forum. I thought I would dislike this scent but have fallen in love with it exactly for the reason that I have found it completely unique and very defining, a scent which is hard to forget like the lady who is wearing it, this is how I would put it.

The Intense version is what I own and the one I much prefer though still think the regular version is nice as well. Although I am normally a musky, oriental perfume person I just could not pass on this one; even though different from what I normally wear this is probably the sexiest perfume I have smelled to date. When I tried it everyone asked me what I was wearing and after sampling it for three days in a row I had to grab it right away. It is definitely my HG date perfume.

I would define it as a warm scent with a definite musky base but flowers and a bit of fruit in the mix though thankfully not too much fruit as I despise definitely fruity scents. Although yes a bit retro in going back to certain trends of the 90's and definitely not in line with the natural trends of the days (which may be why some are giving it negative reviews), still a completely unique combination. Of course every new perfume will have notes that remind us of certain scents of the past, that is a given so in that way it is impossible to create something unique but as much as possible Burberry did it, made it extremely sexy and yet very wearable.

Shaheen's avatar

Guerlain Homme L'Eau by Guerlain

Take the mojito accord found in Guerlain Homme's top notes and amp it up in strength and longevity. Now add a natural, juicy smelling grapefruit note and some geranium.

It's not a complex fragrance by any means, but it smells quite nice. This stuff is GREAT for summer!

En Avion by Caron

EN AVION is akin to an elegantly executed choreography involving neroli, rose and carnation. No overbearing notes, nothing strident as far as my nose can tell, just a pleasurably smooth ride from take-off to landing. I don't really get any distinct leather accord but this is probably one of those times when the total is greater than the sum of its parts. Do try and get some of it on the fabric of your clothes - it's divine!

******** This review is of the non-vintage parfum ********

Sadie's avatar

Azzaro 9 by Azzaro

I have finally found a fragrance where the top and the heart are very defined to my ignorant nose! The only thing that I can say about the top is that there was something involved that my nose did NOT like and the only way to describe it is that it bothered the left side of my nose (sorry to not be more understandably descriptive).

Now that it's in the heart portion, that unpleasant buzzy sensation has gone away and I'm smelling one very strong flower scent. Is this what tuberose smells like? I wish I knew.

I'm giving it a neutral ranking because the positive heart cancels out the negative top. I don't know what the base note will be like - or if I will even notice it.

Sadie

Jermel's avatar

Stetson by Stetson

I don't truly like this one for myself but I highly respect it because my dad wore it for years. It brings back memories of a strong man who worked on cars in the backyard. I only wear this one on nights when I am alone, blogging on basenotes, and need a true masculine for reference. Not considered the best masculine by most fanatics but who cares. I only paid 10 bucks at walmart for it.

Jermel's avatar

Artisan by John Varvatos

I mean... it's ok I guess. I wouldn't pick it over Eau de Guerlain or Neroli Portifino for Florida's summer climate. I would probably wear this on occasions wear I just want to throw on a scent to work around the house in. I agree with one reviewer who stated that it was the most simple orange scent with no development. What a bummer. This fragrance would have received a thumbs up if it had a more natural orange scent (like the one used in orange d verte) and not the highly synthetic one used. All in all, it doesn't smell bad.

Albion9's avatar

Love Spell by Victoria's Secret

Vile! Eau de Trailor Park! No redeeming qualities whatsoever! Just goes to show there's different strokes foe different folks. I find nothing pleasant about this. Did I mention I hate this? This just smells cheap, overly fruity and too sweet. It's just wrong!

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Pan by Anya's Garden

Pan brought a smile to my face the first time I smelled it and still does. Why? Well, for starters, it's a very nice, classic ambery Fougère made from superb materials. That's a good and rare thing and I'm giving bonus points to every perfume these days that will not clobber my nose with cheapo synthetic redundancies because the perfumer had no budget, no time or no more ideas (oh yes, I'm talking $$$$ niche here, not drugstore stuff). But there's more, beyond the dusty green opening (cedar, hay, lavender), a strong, but really good, non-headshop patchouli that picks up on the dryness and builds a bridge to the gently sweetened beeswaxy drydown (but nothing here is sticky in the least). That "more" is the (billy) goat's hair tincture amply discussed by all reviewers of this scent, which makes the whole thing "Pan out" (cough!). It's not skanky - you have to deduct the droppings, pee and other barnyard details from the animal. This may be a rutty goat, but it is proudly-standing-on-top-of-Olympus-Mons-clean. It's not even erotically animalic (at least in an obvious way), as the homage to Tom Robbins' ribald novel Jitterbug Perfume would suggest, but really quite well-behaved - definitely there, though, and certainly recognizable if you've spent time around hairy animals. It also seems to modulate the other notes and works nicely to harmonize them in Pan, as it perfectly connects with the coumarinic aspect of the lavender and the leafy-earthy patchouli. Pan can be applied generously, as sillage is rather moderate and it isn't too lasting either (the presence after an hour is very subtle). Great fun while it lasts though, just as those encounters with the horned God, and a beautiful perfume for men and venturous women which one should have around if only to sniff the bottle. My only suggestion would be to release a flanker (Pan-Demonium?) which would sufficiently dirty the original up in the direction of Jicky to create a flat-out erotic variant - a challenge when avoiding civet, but I really think Billy the goat is full of potential.

Birdboy48's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Marine Oak / Quercia Marina by Acqua di Parma

I received a sample of this as part of TPC's big 19-part men's beginner's educational sample selection. As a newbie, it was one of the first in the group which I was able to like right off the bat.

Apparently this was a part of a 4-frag ADP introduction back in 1999, of which two remain in production, while this and another have been discontinued. Which is unfortunate in that now I seem to have formed a certain emotional attachment to the thing.

Birdboy48's avatar

Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande by Hermès

If you are new to frags like at this writing) I am, you owe it to yourself to give this scent a smell. "Like pepper" as others have said, and not at all sweet in nature, and something that if you worry what people might think should you suddenly appear in public smelling like...well...perfume, this is one you should have no problem with.

jjrichard83's avatar

Tonka Impériale by Guerlain

This has to be one of the greatest scents ever! North of $250 a bottle for 75ml, but I actually think it's totally worth it!

Men can wear it, women can wear it, and both love the smell! It comes with a normal sprayer and one of those "bulb" sprayers. I was informed by a friend to not use the bulb because it allows the fragrance to escape through evaporation.

Overall this is a great buy! I am actually ordering a second bottle as backup because I see wearing this quite a bit.

I do 4-6 sprays, and it last a good 7+ hours. Best scent I have owned so far... And my list is huge.

Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain

Oh Guerlain, I'm sorry, but this was unwearable for me. I even put it on my husband to see if it was just a clash of my skin and you, Shalimar Initial, but no. What an unpleasant and sorry surprise.
    I haven't tried Shalimar, so I am blessedly unable to compare Initial to her famous mother. Unfortunately I cannot write a great deal about Initial, because it had to come off within half an hour of trying it. The opening notes for me were overpowered by the nastiest nasal slap I've experienced for a while and an instant headache. Over the sweetness and greeness of the start ( which i think would be good if not for the olfactory spanking ) a disassociated, tart to the point of acid, bitter lemon dunked in cheap whiskey which took too long to calm down. It felt like a pretty girl who draws you in with her sweet appearance only to slap you in the face when you say hello. I'm so disappointed. Oddly my husband got none of this at all on either his skin or mine. His thought... Well crafted for a younger market, better than most younger offerings and doing the job Guerlain want.
    I loved the bottle though!

Woman in Rose by Alessandro Dell'Acqua

A surprising favourite! Unusual fresh rose and mint at the start - almost metallic in it's clean brightness without losing it's sweetness. Smells clear and translucent even as it passes into a cheerful floral which doesn't overstay it's welcome or assult passers by. Great summer fragrance or - for me with it's fresh cool mint - a scent I wear snowboarding - the essence of clear mountains mixed with the surprise of it being a woman on the snowboard. Love it!

Rockin' Rio by Escada

I guess everyone has a purchase they'd really not want to admit to. This was one of my earlier buys years ago when I'd just realised you could smell like fruit rather than flowers. Like the shock of looking into a mirror and realising what you look like in a size 8 dress when you are really a 12, rockin' rio, bless it's tropical tutti frutti bikini is no longer a scent I can take seriously. It's a happy mash up of juicy fruit in a big cocktail glass with a mahoosive pink parasol on top, which is great if you are actually on the beach drinking cocktails. And under 21. On the plus side, it certainly lasts and you'll get noticed as it's not shy in coming forward!

Femme Individuelle by Montblanc

Lovely. Simple, fresh, elegant and feminine. Perfect for work as it lasts all day without harassing colleagues but long lasting and feminine enough to keep you company as you go on to other things after work. Is it the best scent in the world- no. Did I get through 100 ml and feel sorry I'd finished it - yep.

MonkeyBars's avatar

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Along the lines of Eau Sauvage with its sweat note (basil, sage?) but overall friendlier and sweeter, but still with civet in all likelihood. A tad boring for my taste, which tends toward the bold and bitter.

Important correction: this fragrance is not related to Esencia Loewe, as Diplomat suggests. It shares a couple notes but on the whole is much sweeter and more a classic floral-cologne type of fragrance. Esencia's fantastic, dry herbal-citric opening and dry heart (with just a touch of rose) are a far cry from this conventional offering from Armani; even a superficial sniff by a decent nose would detect they're not in the same realm at all. I'm a huge fan of Esencia, and not particularly a fan of Armani Eau pour Homme.

Vitamin B Complex's avatar

Rochas Man by Rochas

This fragrance is the smoothest, most pleasant scent I have when it comes to the opening 5 minutes.

It's a beautiful smell, it really is. And the price is good too. The longevity can vary, I've had 4 hours before, I've had 12 hours before. One time it even lasted overnight on my hand. The more I've worn it the longer it lasts on my skin.

Projection isn't a beast, but that's fine, it's not meant to be. This is the perfect scent for cuddling with someone.

Unfortunately I am single.

26 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 September, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

Jovan Black Musk for Men by Jovan

I stumbled on it by chance while wasting time in a drugstore abroad and what i've smelt is a sort of synthetic, incensey and musky fruity scent with some aromatic herbs in the blend and dark woods in the base. A touch of patchouli is blended somewhere and the musk is not carnal and sensual but chemical and detergent. The high level of artificiality turns out the fragrance in a kind of cool-warm laundry-gummy fruity way and i understand Shamu 1  in its talking about a grape bubblegum dark scent. Thumbs down.

26 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th September, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

Kiton Men by Kiton

The beginning is slightly herbal, aromatic and decidedly citrusy and sweet of fruits and floral notes rising yet from the back. The faint rawness lasts just a while before the scent starts sliding towards a musky smothness with the silky touch of balsams and the smokiness of seasoned woods and tonka. Some flowers as violet and lily of the valley lurk in the air on the side of some light spices and just the violet subdues a bit the smoothness worshipping a fair level of metal drought. The watery, almost salty(woody), feel that the fragrance introduces is pushed up by grapefruit, watery citruses, a touch of lavender, synthetic ozonic notes and violet. Not bad.

26 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 November, 2012)

drseid's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

I used to wear this scent 20+ years ago. I loved it back then, and while I have moved on to other scents, I still have fond memories of Cool Water. It still smells great, and while it is an obvious self-clone by Boudon of his original creation Green Irish Tweed, I will disagree with most by saying I think it is a good one. Considering the superior vintage version of Cool Water can now be had for 1/4 the price, I feel it is an outstanding value for those who love GIT but can't afford it and are willing to get near that classic's greatness. 4 to 4.5 stars out of 5 for the vintage (and a still solid 3 to 3.5 for the current juice).

26 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 December, 2012)