Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

alfarom's avatar

Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums

Amber is a dangerous territory where sweetness can easily become overwhelming turning a fragrance into an unbrearable heaviness. The big point of strength of Amber 114 is its extremely balanced blend of spices/herbs and resionus notes (mainly benzoin) joined by woods and rose that make of this composition quite an easy wear in which sweetness is carefully tamed and dosed to become a side aspect.

Overall I'd say that while Ambre 114 can be considered as one of the most complex and deep ambers around, at the same time it is outstanding for its incredible wearability and "lightness".

These things don't happen by accident. Amazing Stuff!

02 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 September, 2011)

Lovescully's avatar

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

Now this is more like it! After my disappointment with Pure Coffee and not being a huge fan of the original A*Men's (preferring B*Men) strong tarry note, I think Mr Mugler has finally found just the right balance.

This is really great from the delicious sweet malty liquor top notes right down to the subdued & gentle A*Men base. Other than the longevity not being nearly as good as A*Men, it's hard to find much fault with this.

Now I just have to wait for my bottle of Pure Havane to arrive in the mail and the collection will be complete. I'm just hoping that Havane is more in the vein of Malt and not so similar to Coffee.

For what it's worth, my order of preferrence (so far) for the Mugler Men series is:
    1. Pure Malt
    2. B*Men
    3. Ice*Men (a much reviled & misunderstood beast!)
    4. A*Men
    5. Pure Coffee

02 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 September, 2011)

Leilahdancer's avatar

Coco by Chanel

*** UPDATE: 09/22/11 I am definitely more pleased with each wearing! I agree with other reviews in that this one seems to grow on you with time. While I absolutely LOVE Coromandel, Coco is more "comfortable". I can actually see me wearing it to rake leaves, shopping for used books, a date for pastry & coffee. Yes, I like it. :)

Today I sniffed Coco by Chanel for the third or fourth time. Decided to wear it. I took some steps to add a little longevity and I have to admit, I like it better this time. I loved the spicy, "sparkling" stuff at the beginning. The middle fell a little flat. I'm beginning to think I may not like jasmine? Then the base stepped up. I really enjoy the scent's warmth and hint of spice, but must say, I wish it ws "more". More spice, more heat more sweetness, more smoke, more something!

This is considered such a classic, I'll probably try it again, but so far, cannot justify a bottle...

02 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 22 September, 2011)

scentpacking's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

one of my favorite creeds. very green, very soapy, very classy, but not very vetivery (new word folks!) . i dont care if the vetiver is subtle in this juice ,its still very good- its a very clean scent .long lasting as well -recommended

02 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 16 December, 2011)

alfarom's avatar

Carthusia Uomo by Carthusia

While Carthusia Uomo is anything but unpleasant, at the same time it doesn't have any aspect that makes it stand out. It honestly reminds me of millions of modern citrus/woody masculines of the past 20 years. Well crafted but incredibly anonymous. Pass.

02 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 March, 2012)

eov8b's avatar

28 La Pausa by Chanel

A beautiful graceful iris in the Chanel style with clear wood at the base. Unfortunately it lasts about an hour, and that's it. 28's longevity is absolutely terrible, even for an EDT, that it ultimately detracts from the experience of wearing it.

It pains me to give a neutral rating to the best iris (to my nose at least, having sampled Iris Silver Mist, Apres lOndee, Iris 39 and a few notable others) I have smelled, though the experience isn't good enough to warrant parting with the money.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Why do I like this fragrance?, because it reminds me of Tobacco Flower by The Body Shop, a fragrance that has been discountinued and that I used for years and years. D&G is more subtle and maybe a little more sophisticated than TF, but it lacks the power and endurance of TF. While TF was on the market, it was almost my everyday fragrance and I used other fragrances only on very sporadic occasions, that is not the case with D&G, I am using other fragrances more frecuently and use D&G only in a few occasions, but I do like it and it is undubitably up there among the best in the market. The citrus opening is very pleasant, but very very short lived, my impression is that is gone by the time you stop spraying it, then it goes into a subtle lavander, cardamom, peppery middle to give way to almost pure sage which is the dominant note for a long time. The base notes start getting more obvious slowly and not only the scents listed here can be detected, but to me the tobacco blossom is so dominant that I would list this perfume as a tobacco scent.
    In short, a very pleasant fragance, very sophisticated, but it does not supplant the discountinued Tobacco Flower. The sillage is not outstanding, but better than most, and longevity is very decent.

TerryM's avatar

Mystère by Rochas

This is one of my all-time favorite scents. I was walking down the halls of the Smithsonian in D.C. where I worked at the time (early 80s). I kept smelling this incredible aroma and was trying to follow it to its source. I eventually traced to another employee down the hall and around the corner; I only caught the trail of the scent that she left exiting the lady's room. I cornered her and found out the name and immediately went to Garfinckel's (sadly RIP) angdbought a bottle, a big splurge on my income at the time. It has been in my scent wardrobe ever since, even thought it was discontinued for a while and then resurrected (hate the new bottle). Warm, dark, woodsy and slightly herbaceous, mysterious and slightly possibly dangerous. You don't wear this to an early AM meeting; too heavy. But once the sun goes down . . . . a very ambery scent, and a brave man could wear this as well.

kierroo's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Lacoste Challenge by Lacoste

Lacoste Challenge is pretty average all over from smell to lasting power, but it is an ok citrus fragrance which could be used in the summer months and after a gym session. But its not really one to go mad for.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Bouquet Impérial by Roger & Gallet

It is very pleasant indeed, but as any Eau od Cologne, it lasts the time it takes you to utter its name. It may be more sophisticated than many EdCs, but it is one of the priciest too and honestly, I rather have the two bottles of 25 oz.each of Agua Lavanda or/or Heno de Pravia I could buy with the same money I need for just one 3.3 oz. bottle of Bouquet Imperiale. Maybe that is the reason it was discontinued, it could not compete with those two, or even 4711 that is also cheaper.
    It will be missed, but not that much.
    Because of its price it does not deserve a thumbs up.

CaliDude's avatar

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

I agree with subutex, this frag could be nauseating if worn too much/often. On the first day I wore it, I sprayed it on my wrists and neck and placed my wrist to my nose to smell. I felt nauseous for the rest of the day. So be careful.

Ever since then, when I wear this frag, I try not to whiff it too much or spray too much on me. I think three sprays is enough (one on each wrist and one on the neck).

Having said that, I do feel this is a nice warm frag to wear every once in a while. My wife also likes it. I don't regret buying a bottle and it's a definite try before you buy. Just give it a chance and don't write it off after the first whiff.

eov8b's avatar

31 rue Cambon by Chanel

Beautiful - men, don't shy away. If Caron's Trosieme Homme can call itself that, there is no reason to enjoy this Chanel offering.

Absolutely wonderful, and on my skin, a spray lasts 4-5 hours, the last 2 of which are a subtle, but elegant experience.

danielremy's avatar

France France

Embrujo de Sevilla by Myrurgia

Embrujo de Sevilla is an incredible leather, with tobacco (as it seems to me) and flowers. More floral than Tabac blond, less "dirty" than Lanvin Scandal and deeper than Chanel Cuir de Russie, it is an unknown masterpiece made by Jean Carles, the King of parfumers. Nowadays , it's very difficult to find, but it's worth a try! This is another work of Jean Carles, at the same period that he was about to make Tabu, Canoe or Shocking...

Larimar's avatar

Austria Austria

Tabu by Dana

Tabu, vintage extrait (came in 1/4 oz. screw top bottle, lovely presentation, no
    evaporation)

This puts a bright smile on my face! So, picture this scene:

Woman in her early 40s, truly a full-blooded woman with all the right curves and sex-appeal, has
    lived the highs and lows of love and sex life, always taken good care of her appearance, facial
    skin and expression are soft. She's got taste - not the big splendor or the maxime in elegance,
    but it fits her, her personality and her budget. Now, she is to meet a young man in his end 20s, handsome, thin guy, the type of worrier and thinker, maybe with little experience in his life so far.
    They meet and he gets intoxicated by her very present perfume, sweet, alluring, haunting, sexy
    and slightly dirty. Most important, it fits her style and is in harmony with her gesture and expression. The intentions are clear...
    When you wear Tabu in its vintage extrait form, I think the message is rather 'agressively sexy'...
    let's have a little talk, we both have our wit and brains, but sleep with me afterwards.
    The talking continues, laughing together and she knows very well to play the right cards at the right moment - seduction by a full-blooded woman! A thin line towards ridicule, if not played masterfully by the right woman.
    The evening turns to night and her perfume is getting sweeter, honeyed and slightly spicy. The looks thrown to each other get deeper, playful and the aura around the two is heated, the outside world fades and their looks focus on each other's eyes, attention turns to alertness and every move and facial muscle contracting is noticed.
    No more words need to be spoken and the rest if the story is up to your imagination...
    That's Tabu!
    Its effect is masterful and timeless, an indepth analysis otiose!

Orpheus99's avatar

Innocente by Excelsis

This fragrance starts out a little herbal/metallic smelling to my nose.
    This only lasts about 10 seconds tops before it transitions into a light,
    bright, slightly sweet, subtle floral; I think I am picking up lavender
    and perhaps iris. After about 30 minutes, Innocente becomes slightly
    powdery, so I think the iris may be spot on. This is very natural
    smelling; I don't sense anything synthetic. This fragrance is listed on
    the manufacturer's website as a feminine, but I find it to be gender
    neutral enough to be worn by men as well. This is a cologne strength,
    and as such, lacks somewhat in the longevity department. I get 2 to 3
    hours before it fades into non-existence. It's a fairly inexpensive
    cologne though, so reapplication is not an issue.

AwesomeScents's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme by Guerlain

What can I say? It's an amazing fragrance. I've just blind bought it and I loved it from the first sniff. This is my favorite scent in my collection so far!
    Many people think you need to wear a suit when you wear this one. I don't think so in my opinion, anyone could wear this in any clothes.
    I recommend this scent to anyone who is aiming to get lots of compliments!

Narguile's avatar

Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

I love this scent - it plays on me like an elegant, cool and green carnation scent. Lovely and austere, I would have it if only it weren't for the $300 price tag :)

Blue Grass by Elizabeth Arden

I've been looking for a new lavender fragrance recently and I realized just the other day that this one has a fairly dominant lavender note so I decided to go to my local drug store today and spray a little of it on myself. I have to say, it's actually pretty nice! It goes on mostly smelling like lavender (on me) and when it dries down it gets a somewhat spicy smell that reminds me of some men's body washes. It also vaguely reminded me of fragrances like Cachet by Prince Matchabelli or Halston by Halston. When I got home I sprayed some Cachet on myself just to check. There is a definite similarity in the way the two fragrances come across, but cachet definitely seems light and subtle by comparison. Blue Grass is stronger for sure. It says here that it's marketed toward women, but I would say that this one is actually unisex, at least, based on the way it smells on me. I mostly like it, but I keep thinking that I'd love to have a bar of soap that smells like this. I'm not sure if I'd actually wear the perfume. Plus, I noticed that the longevity of this fragrance isn't great. I also tested Touch of Pink by Lacoste on my other arm and I noticed that Touch of Pink, even though it's an extremely light, subtle scent, actually has greater staying power. I could still smell that one clearly after washing my arm with soap and water, but Blue Grass mostly washed off! So..it may as well be a scented soap as opposed to a bottled fragrance. That's the only real negative thing I have to say about it though.Aside from that, it's pretty nice.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

Such a shame for the longevity of this scent. Orange and orange leaves, dry but not dry to an extent that they've turned brown, scent I'd buy instantly if it'd last for more than 2 hours. I do know where I'll get my dryness and ornages, it's well known Terre d'Hermes.

I'm rating this neutral not on part of projection, but on part of longevity.

Touch of Pink by Lacoste

Recently I've been looking for some good citrus fragrances, so I decided to go over to my local drug store today to try this one since I had heard that it's supposed to have a fairly dominant orange note. It certainly does, but overall it's actually an extremely light, sheer, subtle and "non-offensive" fragrance. This is definitely the kind of perfume that a woman could wear in the office or to a job interview and probably no one would notice very much. (Unless they had a severe perfume allergy of course, but that's another story.) It's a fragrance that doesn't smell that much like traditional "perfume" in my opinion. It has that fresh, clean, just out of the shower kind of smell. It's really nice (especially for certain occasions as I've said) and there's nothing I dislike about it but it's definitely not a sexy perfume. I'm pretty sure this was made for women who dislike the smell of a really strong, obvious fragrance. I like it and I would recommend trying it, but keep these things in mind too. :)

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

Frankly, I'm a little surprised at all the people who are saying that this fragrance comes across smelling "flowery" or "heavy" on them! :) I'm only half serious when I say this, I realize that the dominant notes that come out in a fragrance are strongly influenced by the type of complexion a person has and the Ph balance of their skin. I sort of wish this fragrance would smell more "floral" on me too, but, alas, it does not! When I wear this perfume, the main notes that come out in it are the green leaves and the wood, mixed with a bit of the fruity notes too. An acquaintance of mine actually asked me if I was wearing men's cologne when she smelled Daisy on me one day! So..for me..it's highly ironic that the bottle features a cute, girlie flower on the cap, because it's pretty much a unisex fragrance as far as I'm concerned! That said, I don't dislike this one. I wear it pretty frequently because it is also a sheer, light, subtle fragrance on me, unless I accidentally spray too much on. Mind you, I'm using the EDT. I suspect the EDP may be stronger, and perhaps it might also be more floral? I actually haven't tried it yet! In any case, I find the EDT works on me as a light, "non-offensive", appropriate for every day kind of scent. I would recommend it as this kind of fragrance, but I see that it doesn't work with certain body chemistries! :) (based on the comments here.)

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Mazzolari Vetyver by Mazzolari

Clean, citrus, vetiver, sandalwood, a hint of herbs and spice, barbershop, warm weather, yada yada...

That's the basic idea I needed to get off of my chest. Now, with that out of the way, I can get to, what I feel, is a more important point. This stuff has raw, brutal potency, despite it being a clean scent (Lui and Patchouly share this ferocity, but smell nothing like Vetyver). It's like a volume knob being turned up too much causing the sound to distort. The drydown becomes beautiful but it takes about 5 hours IF you're using clothing sprays like I often do. Skin bleeds the brutality off much more quickly, and Vetyver seems particularly suited to my skin as my skin usually absorbs most of the scent out of a fragrance in two hours or less. It would probably take my a few wearings to really fine tune my ratio of clothing to skin sprays, but for most people I would recommend skin only as clothing really holds the full brutality of the opening for a long time.

"These go to eleven."

FragranceFan's avatar

Musk for Men by Fabergé

This came in a generous and inexpensive clear upright cylinder spray bottle with black cap and misting sprayer. It was very reasonably priced, and you could get it in stores like KMart and Venture, not just department stores.

I loved it, and used it exclusively for years. If you liked Jovan Musk for Men, he original, and the white pear scented Jovan, and if you liked Faberge's women scents, this was a sweeter, more floral parfum style of musk that lasted as long as Jovan, forever, but had that lighter sweeter note too, not too heavy. Spray a cloud of it and walk thru it, good all day. The musk tone sure had staying power too! Like a civet rubbed it's gland right on you! But with a pretty bouquet, not so heavy.

They did not market it to men enough, in fact I don't remember any commercials or any marketing. It just appeared in bins and counters and men probably mistook it for feminine perfume due to the look of the bottle and the name. Shame, it was my all time favorite inexpensive every day scent.

sherapop's avatar

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

Am I the only one who thought that a fragrance with the name KINGDOM would be intended for men? Am I the only one for whom this odd assortment of oriental notes ends by smelling like a reduction of redwood oil in the drydown? Honestly, this is one of the strangest creations I've ever sniffed! How do I get a woody-spicy perfume from an assortment of notes NONE of which is wood?

The ever-so-brief citrus opening of KINGDOM holds promise, but what happens next is an inexorable march to a pseudo-wood oil drydown, which becomes clunkier and woodier over time. I've worn this composition a few times, with the same final effect: the woodiest fragrance I've ever worn--yet it contains no wood whatsoever?! If the categorization of perfumes into feminine and masculine makes any sense at all, KINGDOM really is destined for men, it seems to me.

I am not put off, as are some, by what they are identifying as cumin in this composition, for in my case everything blends with everything else: celery seed, oakmoss, rhubarb, mint, carnation--you name it, it appears to be in here--as though mashed together with a mortar and pestle to produce something that is not in here at all! Weird, weird, weird.

Although I do believe that this composition is unique, when I put it on I find myself wondering: 1) when will the wood chips stop flying into my face? 2) can I actually wear this anywhere? 3) wouldn't this be a nice time for a bath?

For the record: this smells *nothing* like DUNE to me.

mumsy's avatar

Tocade by Rochas

Wierd on me. The notes this says it contains just do not appear on my skin. It's like a childs cough medicine at first, almost a hint of liquorice with fruit. Then like a new plastic doll, one of those with vanilla in the plastic. Then it just smells like a plastic bag for a while, then morphs into something like slightly unwashed cheesy feet. I think one of the oddest smells to call a perfume. I would like to smell this on someone else whom it suits. I didn't get a single waft of any flowers from this on me. Seriously strange.

dwrestle's avatar

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

Wow so many people are drama queens when it comes to fragrance reviews. I can say it's a wondeful fragrance that smells to me like One Man Show meets Kouros. I love this fragrance, and in my opinion it isn't nasty at all. I think it is more wearable than Kouros.

dwrestle's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This fragrance inspires confidence, but sometimes when people come around I hope they don't think it stinks. I love it, but sometimes it makes me wonder if people around me do.

mumsy's avatar

Graffiti by Roberto Capucci

A honeyed jumble of notes for the start. My mini sample has green chypre qualities but at one point in the middle there seems to be a sharp patchouli note arguing with a floral violetty note. It settles down to a honeyed tonka-ish amber.

iodine's avatar

Osmanthus Interdite by Parfum d'Empire

One of my highest moment of bliss in September arrives when I catch a sudden osmanthus scent in the air during a walk in the city streets. Since I discovered this tiny orange flower not many years ago- I often wonder how has it been possible to ignore it previously!- it has become one of my favourite floral fragrances, with its tea and apricot shades.
    Osmanthus Interdite is by now my favourite take on the beloved flower: it starts citrussy effervescent, with hints of other summer flowers, then mellows in black tea and apricot notes (that succeed in staying away from jam or cheap shampoo effects!), to end in the softest and sweetest musky leather. Now, the basenotes are, for my taste, a bit too fruity musky, making the fragrance dangerously getting close to a certain banality… But, as the longevity is great, I can enjoy the top and middle notes for a long time! In short, it’s a very warm and serene fragrance, perfect for an end of summer- early autumn day

03 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 September, 2011)

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain

Did sample it a few times in one day and was not very impressed...thought it was very light and safe..

I have now tried it a few more times and must admit that the scent is very nice; lighter than the original Shalimar but yet, captivating and alluring...

Good longevity on my skin.

Big Thumbs Up...!!!

03 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 November, 2011)