Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Fabric softener for Snobs. Just add two bottles of L'Eau to your wash and you'll get that April-fresh Procter&Gamble smell in your laundry. An all-time low for this once glorious, now rather directionless house.

27 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 September, 2011)

Birdboy48's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Just what the world needs : another review of Andy's masterpiece, and from a relative newbie as well.

And no, perhaps it does not really smell like the air in the Morrocan desert as such : I spent quite a bit of time in the desert in that country, and it kind of smells like, well, the desert. But once you get back into town, and around the spice markets, then that's maybe more like it.

But I did wanted to mention that as someone who went through a big incense phase (the type you burn, and a whole other complex and highly detailed olfactory topic in itself ) many years ago, this scent from Tauer is almost an exact duplicate in smell to the old and somewhat-well-known Indian incense known as "Maharaja", perhaps my overall favorite among the many scores of types of incense I sampled.

And darned if I did not receive the very first perfume compliment I've ever received when I wore L'Air du Desert Marocain out yesterday.

If you love this perfume, and should happen to have an interest in incense as well, it's worth searching out "Maharaja" and I suspect you'll see what I mean. All the most wonderful stuff indeed, and a frag I can now point to with confidence as one of my favorites.

27 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 September, 2011)

Gocce di Napoleon by Morris

It was my beloved grandmother's fragrance and i haven't been smelling it for long time, since when she departed leaving on me a sweet, sweet memory of her. All i remember is that was a classically costructed fragrance with a lot of citrus and flowers in composition and with a very woodsy, incensey and  sweet final wake. I remember a sort of prickliness and smokiness in the smell that over all was very green-boise', floral, incensey and a bit vintage. An olfactory piece of my sweet past and for this reason i tribute at it a thumbs up.

27 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th September, 2011)

Jack Hunter's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Unyielding and never changing in it's strength, been the same from the moment you apply to twelve hours later. It becomes sickening and outstays it's welcome.

27 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 October, 2011)

bhanny's avatar

Blend 30 by Dunhill

Ahh, one of my top five for sure. This starts very boozy and green. And when I say green, the juice is actually green. The booze I suspect is rum and/or cognac. The more I sample this I think there is some cognac. I have some white cognac essential oil I play around with and I think its there, balanced nicely with citrus, sage and lavender. As the drydown begins, I find some really outstanding mossy sandalwood and cedar. Add some subtle amber, musk and tonka as it finishes and wow, what a journey. Top notch, a must try if the opportunity arises.

Edit: The booziness I originally detected has waned, though still there. This is one of the nicest drydowns I have ever experienced. Lots of creamy sandalwood.

27 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 03 December, 2011)

Citron Sauvage by Il Profumo

An amazing sparkling splash of fizzy citrus, sweet spices, mentholated notes, musk and honey. The outcome is a jet of brilliant, pungent, gasolinic lemonade with a balsamic undertone and an honeyed final taming dry down. The fragrance is a breezing, invigorating, aromatic, citrusy, finally soft whiff, ideal to energize the starting of a new day.

27 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th February, 2013)

The_Cologneist's avatar

Jovan Satisfaction for Him by Jovan

Updating my previous review, where I basically just said that it smelled like Usher's UR. While I don't disagree with this, I found something that smells even more like Satisfaction. It's none other than the very popular F Black by Ferragamo. Unfortunately for a budget fragrance like Satisfaction, it has no development. It starts off smelling like a combination of mostly tonka bean, citrus, and a slight labdanum note, and dries down this way, only weaker, with a cedar note added to it. The downside is the longevity and projection. Both are very poor. Also, for those looking for a fragrance that develops, this is not the way to go, as it's extremely linear.

In terms of smell alone, this is a much smoother F Black.

27 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 April, 2013)

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Chrome Sport by Azzaro

A refreshing citrus aquatic laced with ginger and white musk. This is much less sharp than the original Chrome and I can't help but like it more. Chrome Sport is perfect for work and perfect for play. I probably shouldn't have tested it on a day in which I had a meeting, but it was all for the best.

It is what it is, and you know what it is. It really isn't any different in character from the legion of fresh, citrus aquatics out there, BUT, it does its job damn well. It isn't that great in the sillage and longevity department, but it's competent .

Shakinlaw's avatar

VIP by Usher

I got this fragrance because I smelled it on a friend of mine & LOVED it. When I bought it online & smelled it I swore my friend must've played a trick on me & told me the wrong name bc the opening smelled HORRIBLE to me for some reason. It began to open up & while I liked it, I wasn't crazy over it like I did in the beginning. Well after a few months I decided to go back to it & I'm in love all over again!! It lasts on my skin all day. Projection is a bit close but definitely noticable in your cloud. It just has an addictive quality to me. I'm fairly new to the frag game but with Issey, Pure Malt, D&G, Rochas Man & a few others in my closet, this cheapie is moving up. Havent tried Fahrenheit yet. I think this frag is a pretty darn good. Dry down & the base are so smooth. Definitely give this one a try. I'm still waiting & hoping one of the famous YouTube reviewers does a review on it as I think this is very much underrated ESPECIALLY for the $22 price tag.

SirSlarty's avatar

Solo Loewe by Loewe

This is utterly boring. The only thing I remember about wearing this fragrance was a brief stint of citric herbs on top and a rather transparent musky amber on the bottom. It's easy to wear, I'll give it that much but I desire a bit more conversation with my fragrance than a short "hello".

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

This stuff is awful, 5 bucks drugstore colognes are better than this horrible concoction. I am a fan of 70's and 80's powerhouses but this unpleasant atrocity really offends me.
    Smells cheap, and the worst part is that lasts and lasts, so you can't fault its longevity, but who wants to smell all day like this nauseating juice anyhow?
    Big thumbs down

Acqua di Titto by Gal

Nothing to write home about it, a very mediocre scent that will not be missed if discontinued. Very green and herbaceous, it reminds me a lot of Theorema Uomo by Fendi, but as I don't like Theorema Uomo, I would say it is better than TU.
    For those that like TU maybe this could be a good substitute.

Richard James by Richard James

The quintessential british perfume if you ask me, the perfume that Henry Higgings (Rex Harrison) from My Fair Lady would wear. Not the british of bangers and mash or fish and chips but the british of tea and crumpets or strawberries and cream. Gentlemen going to the Ascot Race driving a Rolls Royce should be wearing RJ.
    Maybe a little stuffy, but a classy fragrance nevertheless. Something you can not wear everyday to the office but reserved for some very special occasions.
    Very complex but at the same time very well blended, it has the appropriate sillage for what it intends and it lasts all day long (8-10 hours on me)

spaghettiqueen's avatar

Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain

I should say that I'm no expert on orientals & co. and I can't wear original Shalimar as I find it too powdery, but this was very disappointing - cloyingly sweet on my skin, syrupy and fruity. Girlish and rather unsophisticated. But what a gorgeous bottle!

Minkymaid's avatar

England England

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

This is me writing about B Men on my partner. Yes, he's got Guerlain in his wardrobe and Parfumerie Generale, he's swanned through Serge Lutens and appreciates Terre d Hermes. But, when it comes down to it, what do I always respond to in an 'OMG you smell gorgeous I have to get close to you' way? B Men. Its been slated by compared to A Men(meh) and discontinued but to me this is the ultimate 'come hither' scent. And in the end, isn't that what it's all about! Super thumbs up to B Men - I love ya!

Wrappedinglory's avatar

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Too spicy, too gatecrasher. If you appreciate sublety, this is not your perfume.

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

My first experience with UN JARDIN EN MEDITERRANEE was sufficiently positive to motivate me to acquire a purse spray (15ml). Since then I have to confess that I have not reached for this fragrance often. There is something about the opening which reminds me of a cross between WOMANITY and PLEASURES, both of which become annoying to me after a short while. Figs, peppery florals, and a vaguely wet quality conspire to reproduce something along those lines, at least for a short time.

I don't think that this composition is really annoying, but its first stage reminds me of an amalgam of two rather annoying fragrances, so I'm not all that enthusiastic about it. (Could be Pavlovian, I suppose.) Fortunately, the cedar and cypress take over shortly thereafter, at which point I really warm up to the fragrance as a whole. Still, I don't really like being reminded of WOMANITY and PLEASURES every time I spray this on.

I must say that I am fascinated by the range of receptions to this composition. The people who dislike it appear to detest it! I certainly don't find it unwearable and vile (as do some) but neither do I consider it a "must have," as do its ardent fans. I won't be acquiring a larger bottle of this creation, as I'll probably never deplete my small supply. For those looking for advice, there's no point in attempting to navigate all of these conflicting evaluations, since this one clearly manifests itself differently on different wearers: do try before you buy!

MrLenny1979's avatar

Splendour by Avon

What a BEAUTIFUL Fragrance, and it has a rather " High End " quality to it, and NOT a dime=store smelling Fragrance, it's truly special. I remember this scent advertised in a 1992 AVON catalog, the " Look " captivated me, then one day my beloved Mother purchased a bottle, when I smelled it " I KNEW " it would be my #1 AVON Fragrance EVER ! So go on E-bay and locate a bottle and buy THEN try, It's divine !

Izzy's avatar

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

This fragrance reminds of La Nuit De L'Hommein in a very good way. This smells awesome!

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

I've never regarded UN JARDIN APRES LA MOUSSON as very melony at all, certainly not compared to Hilde Soliani DOPO TEATRO MANGIAMI, which is all melon all the time. Although there is a detectable melon-like quality in the opening of this J.-C. Ellena Hermès jardin composition, the peppery vetiver swiftly takes over and dominates the composition, which to my nose is quite dry for most of its life—in contrast to what I would have expected to smell dans un jardin après La Mousson.

I am somewhat amazed at the manifest detestation of this composition by so many reviewers, which leads me to believe, yet again, that how these relatively simple notes work together and express themselves varies quite a bit from wearer to wearer. Melon notes obviously amplify radically on some people's but not others' skin. Another possibility is that the melon note was so off-putting to some reviewers that they could not stomach a full wear and so never made it to the dry down. Others report having experienced melon from start to finish, so that note must be particularly salient on their skin. Many people have complained about what they take to be the “synthetic” melon note, but my understanding is that all fruit notes in perfumes are synthetic, so I guess that the substantive criticism is more that this one does not smell like fresh or real melon to them. I've smelled some pretty awful melon renditions myself, and comparatively speaking, this one smells pretty good to me—but it is rather evanescent.

That said, although I find it wearable and even somewhat pleasant under certain weather conditions, I cannot get very excited about this entry in the Hermès line-up. It certainly fits right in with the minimalist jardin series. In the end, when all is said and sniffed, I myself am more of a big luscious complex perfumey (à la 24 FAUBOURG, CALECHE, ELIXIR de MERVEILLES, etc.) kind of gal.

Zut's avatar

Macassar by Rochas

I have a virtually untouched 100ml non-spray bottle of Macassar still in the original black box (the short oval bottle with a big black cap). I keep it as a collector item but I am not a fan of the fragrance. Macassar is one of the dryest and woodiest masculine EDT's I have ever tried on. On my skin, it does not develop very well though. It is much too hard, almost brutal. After a while, it does become a little milder but not enough for my personal taste. I would probably love Macassar if it had a powdery note such as amber or opopanax to soften the composition. I had much better results with Yatagan (Caron) and Phileas (Nina Ricci) which are quite dry and woody as well but not so hard. I am sure Macassar smells wonderful on some skins so I give it a neutral rating (closer to thumbs up than thumbs down).

costaleo's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Only The Brave by Diesel

I don't find this boring at all.It is not as aquatic as some people here say either. This fragrance is rich and beautiful. I have over 100 bottles of perfume in my wardrobe and I could say that this one stands out. Easy to wear, classy and at the same time versatile. A must buy for those who like easy and not ordinary fragrances. The bottle looks even better when you have it in your hands, it's so beautifully crafted that the bottle itself alone would be a great reason to have this gem.I highly recommend it.

pigasus27's avatar

Jean Marie Farina by Roger & Gallet

A refreshing burst of Mediterranean citrus fruits are grounded by crisp herbs. This elixir will rouse its wearer and corrode morning tiredness. At its affordable price and quality, I would wholly recommend this cologne to all.

Note: This cologne reminds me of a breakfast cereal that I ate as a child: Froot Loops. This isn't a bad thing.

L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême / Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Tested this on skin only twice before buying a full bottle.
    A beautiful amber, and that's really all there is to it: a great quality, smooth, creamy amber, sitting on a pillow of rich vanilla. There is some spice there too, but it is simply there to elevate the amber rather than provide a seperately recognisable note.
    It is a relatively linear fragrance, but what some may say is a "sickly sweet" opening, soon mellows out and blends with the skin.
    I get a kind of "sweat" smell from this too, not to put anyone off because it's something I like, I don't get it with many other amber fragrances, I think it's simply because this is an intense amber, when it wraps around the skin it becomes part of it, and as it doesn't smell fresh and bright but more mellow and rich, I think it smells the faintest bit animalic, but maybe that's just to my nose.
    Anyway, all in all, a lovely, uncomplicated comfort fragrance.

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I never got the cardboard or paper note from Dzing, but one thing I have noticed from reading others reviews, is that the noses that detect this as the main scent, seem to be the ones who have problems with the longevity... I may be wrong.
    Anyway! To me this opens with a blast of barnyard indeed. But it's not filthy and fecal, it's raw leather, its that sweet, sharp manure smell, with woods and a creamy vanilla in the background. I never get the popcorn or whatever other notes they claim are in this, and I like to think I'm not getting my descriptive thoughts swayed by the marketing, but the inital blast and the first 15 minutes on me, remind me exactly of the zoo, and the elephant or giraffe enclosures. It's nostalgic, and I love it!
    If this part lasted for hours and hours, I'd be thrilled, however as to be expected, this part faints into the background to make way to the sweet hay and vanilla and now faded (but beautiful) leather. All well and good, but not the intense slap in the face that the beginning was. It's very tame after half an hour or so, and this phase stays quite linear until a few hours later, I have a faint vanilla floating around on my skin with a slight dirtiness in the background. It disappears shortly after.
    When I owned a full bottle of this, I'd find myself re-spraying every few hours just to capture the first whiff again. I give it a thumbs up just for being unlike anything I've sniffed before and something that I find extremely comforting and fun to wear, I just wish everything about it was blown up to huge proportions including the longevity.

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood

I have owned many bottles of this, and have known it for so long that I cannot really break down Boudoir into a list of notes.
    It's creamy, powdery, sugar sweet and "pretty", but has a animalic raunchiness underneath it, it's not a leather at all, it's just... dirty. I asked a friend to sniff this one, and she said "It smells of p**sy". I guess that's kind of what I mean.
    It's feminine, but pretty florals working with a guys chemistry can work great sometimes, on me, the sugar sweetness dies down and whats left is a creamy, ambery, vanillary... Boudoir smell is all I can say. Maybe I'm biased just as many are with old favourites such as the old Guerlain classics, but this is an ultimate comfort scent for me. It's sexy and loud with amazing sillage and longevity, you will get compliments on it that's for sure.

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

In UN JARDIN SUR LE NIL, the opening salvo of salty green shredded mango is rather bitter and nearly sour enough to qualify as a pickle. But that impression fortunately subsides quickly, at which point a strong steamed rice-like note takes over this composition, along with what smells to me like green tea. Conclusion: this smells more like it came from Japan than the shores of the Nile to me.

In waves, the quasi-rice note smells sometimes to me like rice cakes or even vaguely of popcorn! In fact, now that I think about it, there is an almost genmaicha tea scent here—albeit slightly too bitter. Well, I guess that I'm an outlier on this one. I do believe that this member of the Jardin series is more original than either MEDITERRANEE or MOUSSON, but its eccentricity is not enough to overcome the sour quality which would definitely prevent me from wearing this as anything but a novelty scent.

On to the latest minimalist creation by J.-C. Ellena, who appears to have a serious cult following, judging by some of the positive reviews!

Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette Légère by Guerlain

I purchased a bottle of Habit Rouge EDT Legere because i was hoocked by this new and unknown flanker while wasting my time in the duty free of Saint Petersbourg' s International Airport and nowhere i've met it again out there despite i use to travel a lot all around the world. In my opinion this one is a significantly different (and as said a bright and joyful) version of the classic one cause it lacks of each  element of the normal version's baroque majesty and i mean above all the animalic-leathery feel, the changeability of the wake, the sumptuosity of the effluviums alternance, the deliberately vintage-retro  earthy-rooty trail of hesperides, cedar and patchouli, the strong vanilla, the general woody, incensey, rosey and liquorous warmth etc. This is more similar to the Sport version because it starts with a fizzy-lemony-neroli accord that is sparkling, averagely spicy and strongly citrusy before the scent developes in a sort of drier leathery-musky kind of dry down, less heavy in vanilla (reduced in dosage) and above all in effluviums and balsams (benzoin, olibanum, labdanum). The leathery touch is more woodsy and contemporary than in the original formulation and the fragrance itself is a pleasant and dynamic musky-leathery-vetiver scent, a very different concoction in comparison to the great nocturnal Habit Rouge, the fragrance of the Louvre and Hermitage. Anyway, not bad at all. More adaptable to the hot and humid climates.

PatT's avatar

Yatagan by Caron

I'm new to this site and judging by the reviews, my old (pre-mid-80s) bottles of Yatagan may be real collectors' items - but precious to me. I would guess the formula has changed, because I don't recognize some of the descriptions, the price was WAY more expensive when I bought it, and it lasts forever. I don't know the chemistry of scents, just what I like, but Yatagan has long been a favorite. (Someone posted that they'd never smelled it on a man -- I discovered it by being nose-to-neck with a very elegantly dressed man on the Boston subway about 1976-77 and daring to ask him what his cologne was!) I don't wear this on its own, but I blend it with a very flowery scent (won't mention it here -- it's not one of the 'cool' ones, but I'm also working from an old stash and I know that formula has changed) and come up with a unique signature scent that I love for winter evenings - warm floral top notes, then that woodsy leathery undertone that lasts and lasts.

Side note: when one is partnered with someone who is VERY serious about wine, one doesn't get to wear scent very much - so sad!

stuffy1103's avatar

Bare Skin by Lesley Blodgett Perfume Diaries

Warm, next to the skin. You'll want a cup of hot chocolate and cashmere blanket with this one.

ps Guys love it