Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

stuffy1103's avatar

Bare Skin by Lesley Blodgett Perfume Diaries

Warm, next to the skin. You'll want a cup of hot chocolate and cashmere blanket with this one.

ps Guys love it

28 September, 2011

sherapop's avatar

Un Jardin Sur Le Toit by Hermès

Hmmm... Isn't UN JARDIN SUR LE TOIT basically a fruity-floral fragrance with a blast of green up top? The fruit scent here is similar to that of standing at the kitchen sink and peeling apples and pears and the other components of a fruit salad before running the peels and cores and rinds, now turning slightly brown, through the garbage disposal. So that's my take on the "compost" note, I guess.

If I try very, very hard to find subtlety and profundity in this fruity-floral fragrance, then perhaps I shall. But would I ever put that much effort into this sort of composition, were I not indoctrinated by the teachings of the cult of Ellena, according to which he is a genius and/or a saint? Honestly, I predict that the evaluations of this fragrance will be much, much higher than they would be if it were tested blind. Just a hunch...

Having now strolled through all of the gardens, I can confidently reaffirm that I appreciate this minimalist "haiku" or atmospheric perfume concept more as a theory than in practice. I truly love this house, and applaud their recent victory against the forces of hegemony, but the members of the Jardin series, while perfectly fine for what they are, do not hold a candle to some of the resplendent Hermès masterpieces so dear to me.

28 September, 2011

stanmar's avatar

Armani Privé Vétiver Babylone by Giorgio Armani

A vetiver from the prive collection of Armani will surely get the fragrance world buzzing with anticipation and speculation on the new product. I am afaid the hoardes will be equally surprised and puzzled at the first impressions of this elusive Vetiver. It seems like the sum of the parts does not equal the whole with this one.
    One would expect such an array of noteworthy ingredients to create a hit in the hands of a deft permumer such as Morillas. The magic is there no doubt about t, but in a way you would hardly ever expected. Ironically, it is like convention has been altered so skillfully to eventually create something more special than you could ever have imagined.
    I find this a fragrance that has so many strong aspects to is personality that belies its light and elegant facade. The vetiver is really only detectable in the lovely smooth drydown. Before that there is a engaging and enticing brew of citrus and spice to keep you attentive to what comes next. Next a hint of some pepper with some patchouli ever so lightly and only after sniffing your wrist to get some.
    The drydown is superb. Both creamy and crisp with the vetiver finally peeking out and winking at you. As if to say I was worth waiting for wern't I. Longevity is excellent , sillage is impressive . All in all a great personal scent that will be fbw for years to come. If only they could have gone a little more basic in getting more vetiver in the middle with the pepper , then we are talking a true great.

28 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 September, 2011)

Parah by Parah

I've a faint olfactory memory of it, in the last century an "undurable" girlfriend of mine used to wear it, i remember it was a lighter sort of Cashmere Chopard far less cloying( much more fruits and flowers and less balsams). Not bad, i mean both fragrance and girl.

28 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th September, 2011)

tymanski's avatar

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

i'm weirding myself (and my wife) out with how much i love this juice. pine and frankincense that just stays warm & cozy on my skin. NO perfume has had me sniffing myself as much :/ uplifting, entertaining and energizing, redolent of mediterranean pine forests, resiny incense and some xmas confection. this is my fourth lutens and now, my fave (sorry chergui & sarrasins!)

28 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st October, 2011)

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Aria di Capri by Carthusia

Aria di Capri launches on an impressive, pulse-quickening citrus salvo. But out too pop loud and pushy aldehydes which distract from the sad fact that the astringent, Campari-esque pleasures of the scent are being gobbled up and spat out by a very greedy peach note.

Aria di Capri clearly derives from Chanel’s No. 5, Guerlain’s Chamade, and Serge Lutens’ La Myrrhe, but doesn’t manage to better any of them.

28 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 24 October, 2011)

forfreddie's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

I've changed my review to a thumbs up.
    I tried numerous incense fragrances and kept getting drawn back to this one.
    I loved Heeley's Cardinal, but it was too bright and subtle, althought utterly meditative and wonderful, I will own it one day.
    Anyway, after previously giving this a neutral review as I found it sharp and non-churchy... I ended up getting a bottle after months of craving it once my sample ran out.
    When sprayed it's so much better, beautiful, rich, comforting and well, everything has already been explained by everyone else. It's a fantastic incense and a perfect reference. I'm very happy to own it.

28 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2012)

nonnative's avatar

Baiser Volé by Cartier

Just tried this morning in a shop. Surprise! Finally a lys in a commercial fragrance. While niche market has got three beautiful creations on lys notes (un lys mediterranee by malle, lys and spice by penhaligons, and the great Un lys by lutens) this is the first lys I found on shelves. While "Un Lys" is dark, sofisticated and misterious, Baiser Volè is a diamond (according to Cartier jewelry name!). Bright and clear from the first sniff. Unfortunately the fragrance doesn't evolve. It remains the same for hours and it is a little bit too monolitic!But what a nice monolite!
    Another point in favour of BV is the top of the bottle. It opens up in a nice, original way: like a zippo!!
    Lys notes are really important to me, being my name Susan (lys in hebrew). Thankyou Cartier.

28 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 April, 2014)

Time Left's avatar

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

Love this perfume. I could care less if a man or a woman wears this. I am sure now that I prefer a floral scent to just about anything and the mids nail it. The base notes are long and edible with my nose and it's my nose, not yours, that counts.

CitizenBuddhiztCommiQueen's avatar

Gardénia by Chanel

Lovely Gardenia scent if you like the more green gardenia, not the deep buttery Gardenia, Overall it's well done, but the gorgeous scent is fleeting. For the price I would expect more.

Vitamin B Complex's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Lovely stuff. One of the most pleasantly smelling fragrances I've smelled.

daynah's avatar

1000 by Jean Patou

I tend to like "old lady' perfumes. When I wear them, I feel like a flapper or I feel like a Gibson girl. In this, I feel like I'm in a nursing home. This is not "old lady," this is positively geriatric. I think it was the very intense floral notes added into the chypre which remind me of a woman dying from old age with flowers surrounding her. I tried to scrub it off my skin, but it lasted just as strong for hours -- so I feel it has good longevity for those who like this scent.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Eau Maximum by Nickel

An excellent, fresh, citrus/green fragrance. A real winner.

Eau Maximum opens up with a bright orange note, with some grapefruit, and herbs. The herbal notes are very well blended together as they come off as just one herbal note. As it dries, it maintains the top notes, and brings in a sweet, and sort of dewy patchouli note along with a rather exotic metallic mint note. Different, and most enjoyable. I also get some vetiver in here, but not the typical vetiver. Not earthy, not resinous, not aromatic, nor dirty, as you would expect from most vetiver's.

Excellent, different, cheap. Although not entirely different to me, as it is quite reminiscent of L'Eau de L'Artisan.

Projection isn't bad, but longevity is horrible, I get no more than 4 hours on a good day.

LadyDragonFire's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake

This isn't really a bad perfume, but I don't think I would buy this or make it my signature scent. It honestly smells a lot like Human by Fruits and Passion (the feminine version.)
    I used to wear Human all the time as my signature scent because I thought it was a nice, light and "inoffensive" scent that was appropriate for anywhere. I wore it to work on a regular basis, but I never received compliments when I wore it. One day, someone actually told me that it really didn't suit me very much. I honestly don't think it smells bad on me, I think that people might just think it doesn't suit my "personality." I actually suspect it's one of those perfumes that is intended for a person with a very bright, animated and sanguine personality. That's actually not me.
    So..L'Eau D'Issey is not for me, unfortunately.

nonnative's avatar

Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie

Sienne l'hiver: wow. I didn't think of Sienne, I didn't think of winter, when I sniffed SL'H. I didn't even know it was by my beloved Duchaufour. I just thought: WOW. How different, how unique, how original. Like a statue in a painting exibition. Something completely unexpected. Somethig completely new. Something good.

Jack Hunter's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Simply enchanting and unlike most other fragrances. It stays close to the skin and the tea note is very well done. For times when subtlety is the order of the day like in a office.

Gotham by Neil Morris Fragrances

Finally i've tried this mysterious fragrance whose the evocative  name, the colour of the juice, the aroused aura and relative reviews were thrilling me by months. Gotham exudes the arcane, camphoraceous, sinister smell of a late afternoon in an old medieval town. The general atmosphere is gothic even if oddly  contemporary. The darkness is not obscurity in here but the shadow of an overcast sky. The smell is very intense, leathery, rosey and woodsy (i would say better that i detect some similarities with the smell of some mold, mushrooms, truffles or anyway with the smell of umid, stuffy, claustrophobic, mildewed subterraneous cellars). I don't detect black pepper or better i smell some spiciness and saltiness but not the initial pungency of pepper. I agree who with writes about indolic floral smell from the duo rose-narcissus. I detect in the dry down that sort of smouldering incensey-boise' kind of smell proper of the chord of strong amber, olibanum, labdanum, musk and leather. On this sphere i notice a certain similarity with the Mazzolari fragrances which anyway use to be  more smouldering and brewing than Gotham. A very well made creation, with excellent projection and longevity, with averagely natural ingredients and with a captivating strange "vintage-modern" temperament.

Gotham by Neil Morris Fragrances

sherapop's avatar

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

This is my second felicitous testing encounter with AMBRE NARGUILE (made possible by generous basenoter Twolf), and my enthusiasm has not abated in the least. I was struck by the Tom Fordesque quality of this composition back when I first wore it, and I feel the same way today. Thick, golden, and viscous, this sort of elixir is right up my alley! The labdanum and benzoin lusciousness of this composition pull me right in. Is it too sweet, as some maintain? Well, not to me. Maybe I've sniffed too many celebrity orientals of late?

AMBRE NARGUILE is not the spiciest amber perfume around, and I do not believe that it contains or claims to contain ambergris--again, this is labdanum amber, not the petrified concretions expelled from the intestines of sperm whales (which in any case figures is very few perfumes today, as far as I know...). But this is a shimmering layer of gold! It's clearly time that I acquired at least a purse spray of this wonderful composition. Great longevity and detectable but not obnoxious projection.

So, you see, J.C.: I really have nothing against you at all! It's just that I'd rather wear perfume than meditate in your gardens.

Jack Hunter's avatar

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

This is a vile synthetic sick inducing fragrance that I would not accept even if it was offered for free. With hundreds of fragrances to choose from buying this one would be scraping the bottom of the barrel indeed.

SirScent's avatar

Noir by Christian Lacroix

I am not certain if I initially had a bad bottle of this but the first bottle I purchased I disliked very much. Way too spicey and peppery. Ugh.
    Gave the bottle away.
    Now, I received another bottle as a gift.
    This time around it appears richer and less intense.
    There's a nice deep root beer like quality so I'll reserve this for Autmn and Winter but it has definite character and quality.
    It appears both Masculine and formal.

Zut's avatar

Guirlandes by Carven

I bought a 100ml bottle of Guirlandes in Paris, shortly after it was launched. I have never used it. It still is in its original flashy pink and white box and I keep it as a collector item. Lily of the valley is not my favourite scent but I don't mind it when used in moderation. It can give to a fragrance a nice green springtime note which can be quite nice. Guirlandes is much too loud for my taste. The heavy floral concentration makes the entire composition smell very synthetic. Guirlandes could have been a very fresh and delicate fragrance but it ended up being a cloying hyperfeminine floral. I suppose it can smell good on some women but I have not found one yet. Of course, I don't mean to offend anyone who loves it.

photofinish's avatar

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

A liquid laundry starch and shampoo aroma that is better suited for collectors of strange odors, rather than practical cologne wearing gentleman.

Vanilla by L'Erbolario

A sort of unisex grassy vanilla with a smokey undertone. There is some freshness in here produced by some woodsy notes as coniferous, musk, vetiver and cedar. The vanilla and its usual sweetness are cut down in order to preserve a certain level of laundry cleanliness. Soaring and pleasant.

29 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th September, 2011)

photofinish's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

A sweet opening of gum balls and powdered florals, takes an unexpected turn for the bizarre when it abruptly degrades into an enduring laundry starch and shampoo aroma.

29 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 16 October, 2011)

Birdboy48's avatar

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

From what I've read in the various reviews, it would seem important to obtain a fresh sample of this fragrance in order to make a fair assessment of it's qualities. Some here mention how strong and projective it is, with great longevity, while others speak of it having weak silage and a short life.

I recently was mailed a sample directly from Malle, and perhaps mine is simply old. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt though.

Edit :

After a few more wears I'm getting a better sense of this stuff. It's as dry and masculine as can be without being conservative or stodgy, and without being the sort of openly pleasant and seductive thing that a fellow might wear in attempt to impress a semi-willing potential partner.

Instead it's a "I don't particularly care what you think, you'll simply have to take me as I am" sort of fragrance, and useful in situations of confidence where that's the sort of position you might want to find yourself taking.

If that's a position you feel you can reasonably pull off, that is.

29 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st February, 2012)

Minkymaid's avatar

England England

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

My partner wore this today. I took one sniff and blurted out 'You smell like my Dad's head!'. The 'mystery S ingredient' from the marketing blurb is revealed... Old Spice, 1970s style. Checking out what's supposedly in this cologne and my Dad's favourite hair cream I have no idea why they smell alike ( or even if they do, I haven't smelled Old Spice since I was a kid). Still, a happy scent inspired blast from the past. If you want to smell unexpectedly like a middle aged man from the 70s - this one's your retro baby.

29 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2013)

cello's avatar

1889 Moulin Rouge by Histoires de Parfums

I have a hard time taking this scent seriously, but not because it is a bad scent. It is just because it is so darn fun! The name is fitting for the occasion of wearing this, as you feel like you have just attended a hooting, lively, cat calling festive event. Almost lewd, but mostly just good fun.

The spicy plum opening leads into a great iris background, and that is where the fun starts. Jumping off of this iris is first a candied, syrupy cinnamon. Then the lipstick iris blooms fuller, leaving you wondering what act is next. Well, following no logic is an absinthe note. The powdery, lipstick iris slowly transitions to a powdered rose. More fun, and worthy of a full on whistle or two.

The closing act is a slow fade into a soft, faint leather. The curtains close, and you feel like you have just spent a lively evening full of twists and turns, a show that you will remember long after the smells have faded.

Two thumbs up for a great time, and certainly a thumbs up for the fragrance itself, which managed the impossible - a serious perfume with a full on sense of humor and spunk. I love this stuff!

Zut's avatar

Choc by Pierre Cardin

Now here is a perfume with attitude. I have never smelled anything that is even slightly similar to Choc. It is very well balanced, fruity yet dry, assertive yet classy. The middle floral notes are not overpowering while the chypre base is not too dark nor too hard. Choc has this crips clean feel to it that is rather rare in women's perfume. It has not been available here for many years and I truly miss it. I wish I could find a man EDT that would remind me of this wonderful fragrance.

Shpati's avatar

Sex Panther by Tru Fragrance

Well as far as smell goes, it just smells like those cheap Axe body sprays.

But, it is a novelty fragrance from the movie "Anchorman". It is made for laughs.

PS: Make sure you try to get the limited edition one that comes with the box that makes a growling box when opened (Make a panther growl sound from the movie when opened).

They are discontinued, but there are still some out there. Just read descriptions saying if it is limited or the regular one.