Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

Orpheus99's avatar
    Orpheus99

L'Homme Sage by Divine

I have tried this twice now, and I really like it. It has a very spicy/herbal masculine vibe, tangentially similar to Azzaro PH. It seems fairly loud when I first apply, but as it dries down, it hangs much closer to the skin. This is a very smooth scent; I get a peppery warmth from the saffron, a little spiky punctuation from the patchouli (but nothing harsh), and some very nice soft woods in the base. I don't detect the soapiness that some others have noted. The longevity is very good, 6-8 hours. This is one of those fragrances I can see myself craving to wear from tiime to time, thus it's going on my full bottle purchase list. Grade: Solid A

killerloop's avatar
    killerloop

Guess Man by Guess

Always been a favorite of mine! Very easy to wear, day or night and any occasion really. I feel good wearing this one.

oOCherylOo's avatar
    oOCherylOo

Alien by Thierry Mugler

It was not love at first spray for me. I got Alien as a Christmas gift and made the mistake of spraying it on in front of the giver and almost choking! It smelled medicinal and overly sweet to me - some sort of Campho-Phenique spilled into Splenda concoction. I slipped away and washed it off as soon as I could.

A few days later as I was doing laundry, the sweater I was wearing on Christmas wafted the most amazing fragrance. Surely this amazing scent didn't come from that foul medicine I had sprayed?!

Alien revisted: Same opening stench as before. But after the dry down, amazing floral and woody notes begin to emerge. After a while on my skin, Alien is intoxicating and heady stuff. Don't flee from this if at first you find it off-putting. Let it mellow on your skin and see what happens. For me it's pure other-worldly magic!

04 September, 2011

le mouchoir de monsieur's avatar
    le mouchoir de monsieur
    France France

Le Dix by Balenciaga

(non-re-issue)In the 50's, Cristobal Balenciaga was considered to be the greatest Couturier who ever lived. Christian Dior himself called him "Father to us all." The tag line for "le dix," when it was launched, merely read: "His Creation." Many today have a difficult time imagining the grandeur of Balenciaga. Diana Vreeland wrote: "If you were at a party, and a woman walked in wearing Balenciaga, no other woman existed." As fascinating as his clothes, "His Creation," le dix, is equally compelling. Balenciaga was the first couturier in history to sublimate ugly women, whose allure he preferred to the merely beautiful, whom he considered common: His salons were regarded with the reverence of a church, and quite simply were not open to the public: One had to be presented, put up for admittance, as it were, and references were required. Once invited, if the severe, gatekeeping "directrice" didn't like the look of any new potential client, access was denied, and she was summarily dismissed. Balenciaga had a fondness for a slightly hunched back, and so he cut all the collars of his jackets several centimeters away from the neck in order to make the feminine silhouette appear as if it were bent: He instructed his models to hold their head forward, their hips out, and to never smile or make eye contact with anyone. Fittingly, "le dix" is a study in perplexed notions of beauty. Its opening is frankly bizarre. It was said at the time that it smelled like vomit, and indeed there is a strange bodily excretion aura to its flight that lingers long enough to be well examined. With le dix, we witness what very possibly could have been the world's first "Indie" scent. Naturally, by the mid 50's, there had been many fragrances that could be considered eccentric: Ernest Daltroff's entire range, for example, or Guerlain's Djedi. Patou's "Que sais-je?" Yet all of these were strange in a very specific manner, exhibiting a purposeful rejection of accepted social codes, where le dix explores the outter reaches of sensibility in a secretive, furtive way: One is never sure if the scent is perfectly lovely, or outright foul.
    A cunning composition of violet stems, woods and musks, it has only Jean Kerleo's magnificent "1000" as a peer: It can be inferred that Monsieur Kerleo was a fan of le dix. It may also be inferred that Monsieur Balenciaga was a fan of "Je Reviens," as le dix shares a certain high pitched and lofty distance with this masterpiece of structure from the 1930's, but hasn't a hint of its comforting and very singular loveliness. Le dix can not be compared to any fragrance in a literal sense: It stands alone, and never allows itself to be read clearly. Much like everything else associated with Balenciaga himself, there is an austerity about it that approaches the Biblical: It speaks a language of Heaven and Hell simultaneously, and never teeters off to either side: walking the split straight down the middle of it the whole way down from flight to base. Comparisons others have made to Chanel No5 are lost on me, as I would equate these to comparing the scent of a street-walking two penny harlot to that of a sovereign. Cristobal Balenciaga and Gabrielle Chanel should theoretically not exist in the same discussion, though it is a fact that the two of them were close friends. In the realm of fashion and fragrance, Comparing his taste to hers would be like comparing chalk to cheese. Le dix is a grand perfume. It stands up to any guerlain, any caron, or any patou. What's interesting about it, is that it staunchly refuses comparisons, loudly declaring itself "hors concours." Just as did Monsieur Cristobal Balenciaga himself, it is in a league of its own, isolated, away from the crowd, and silently observes, never smiling, never making eye contact. An intellectual composition perfectly suited to any woman or any man who considers that no perfume on earth could possibly express their personality, requiring one that merely poses questions, without ever hinting at answers. Balenciaga never gave an interview to the press, and fashion journalists were unwelcome in his salons. Following the violent student uprisings in France during the Sping and Summer of 1968, Cristobal Balenciaga shuttered his house, with only this explanation: "The world is no longer a place for my creation."

04 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 September, 2011)

PA4455's avatar
    PA4455

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Love GIT. The intial first spray is Fresh and very Green. The dry down unveils violet and various characteristics that make this the masterpiece that deserves to be in every Gentlemans collection. Longevity ranges. I'm getting 6-8 hours with this fragance. Definate thumbs up.

04 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 June, 2012)

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

It's been a while since I first reviewed Kenzo FLOWER, my memory of which is best summed up as : vanilla baby powder. I fortuitously received a fresh sample in the mail just this week, and as I am attempting to understand Caron ROYAL BAIN DE CHAMPAGNE, it seems an opportune time to take up FLOWER again.

The opening of FLOWER holds lots of promise for this lover of violets—whether from Parma or elsewhere! Upon initially dabbing the fragrance all over my arms and décolleté today, I began to wonder whether my “vanilla baby powder” memory of FLOWER was really all wrong. Had I reviewed the perfume on a humid day, or irresponsibly allowed my blood caffeine content to dip to a dangerous low before brandishing my pen? Who knows? In those opening minutes, just enough time, coincidentally enough, to make the big sell at counters all over the world, this perfume seems like some sort of dream come true, a rich floriental with seductive appeal, clearly comprising top-notch notes which wax and wane in a lilting, lyrical way.

Alas, the drydown commences shortly thereafter, during which everything flattens out and begins to smell progressively more synthetic until, at last, I recall why my memory of FLOWER as “vanilla baby powder” was right all along. Certainly not a bad perfume, but rather blunt and banal in the final analysis, when all is said and sniffed. Rather like a marriage which may endure for years in a stagnant state after an initially exciting but short-lived romance.

Would poppies smell like vanilla baby powder, if they had a scent? Sure, why not? (if pigs could fly)

L'Instant de Guerlain by Guerlain

Whenever I think of FLOWER, I think also of Guerlain L'INSTANT. It's surely the vanilla baby powder connection, which lasts so much longer than the stages which mark the two perfumes as distinct that I cannot help but conjoin them in my mind. As this is a twenty-first-century creation of a once-glorious house (pre-Y2K), I never really expected much from L'INSTANT, and what I found was certainly nothing like classic Guerlain, although this perfume is not without its own cuddly appeal.

L'INSTANT edp is creamy and powdery and dreamy like a down comforter sprinkled with fairy dust. (Oh, isn't that the name of a perfume by Paris Hilton?) Anyway, this almond-honey-nougat-down-comforter confection reminds me of the suave and debonaire Morris Townsend [played by Montgomery Cliff] in The Heiress when he tries to woo Catherine Sloper [played by Olivia de Havilland] with this line: “You're everything I ever wanted in a woman.” And, no, he did not lie.

“You're everything I ever wanted in a [comfort scent],” L'INSTANT. Sweet, smooth, creamy, with a safe, dependable, vanilla baby powder drydown, the longevity of which is strictly determined by the wearer's own bathing schedule. Yes, since the dawning of the Century of Snark, the synthetic organic chemists have been working overtime chez Guerlain. But where have all the perfumers gone? Perhaps they, too, have become trapped in Twitter, frittering their lives away with the useless production of flankers and perfectly willing to settle for 140 characters of fame.

[Note on versions: My first bottle of L'INSTANT edp, from the original launch, contains a much darker liquid than the refill bottle which I recently purchased (before I became disenchanted with this house after their disastrous reformulation of MITSOUKO...). It could be a result of evaporation, but the first is definitely richer and more woody than the second, and it also appears to contain discernible flowers. (Not sure whether this is an issue of reformulation or not...) In a side-by-side comparison they definitely smell different enough to make me suspect that different reviewers may be encountering slightly different perfumes...]

Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne by Caron

It's always fun to review perfumes from the house of Caron, because everyone knows that everything that anyone says may well be true—about their specific formulation! In this case, my generous vial of ROYAL BAIN DE CHAMPAGNE bears the original name (before the champagne police filed another law suit, or did this one precede CHAMPAGNE/YVRESSE?) and came in a box with the reference/batch #Q6961492 GE.

All of this means, of course, that I can blather on with impunity, with no danger of anyone charging me with anosmia, since the likelihood that anyone reading these words has a sample from this very batch is no doubt vanishingly small. With this feeling of liberation to galvanize my spirit, let me begin by saying that I really had no idea whatsoever what this fragrance was about. The original name, to begin with, was all wrong—at least as regards the contents of my vial from batch #Q6961492 GE. Far from evoking images and memories of champagne, this bain would appear to be filled with chopped up leaves of wilted tuberose. It's not really tuberose, I realize, given the notes said to be in the original perfume, but that's what the overall effect is to my nose, a sort of pseudo-tuberose: thick and tuberose-esque without however approaching the heights (and authenticity) of FRACAS or CARNAL FLOWER. Key word here: thick.

How can I be detecting a thick pseudo-tuberose note in a fragrance devoid of tuberose? you may ask. Probably in the same way that a monkey sitting in front of a typewriter for an infinite amount of time would eventually produce all of the works of William Shakespeare. Just keep mixing the components up again and again, and forget the recipe, and let someone else throw in his two cents' worth of advice, and then start again, and fiddle some more, and eventually, when all the planets are correctly aligned, a vial drawn from batch #Q6961492 GE will find its way into the hands of a single sniffer, on a day with the right humidity, who has precisely the chemical components in her body created through the digestion of eggplant and garlic sauteed in sesame oil and served with sticky brown rice. That person, and that person alone, will smell pseudo-tuberose in ROYAL BAIN DE CHAMPAGNE, batch #Q6961492 GE.

It's not bad, I think, but in order to fairly evaluate this scent, I'll need to try it in a bath. There's no point in complaining that an apple's not an orange, after all. If, as legend has it, ROYAL BAIN DE CHAMPAGNE was composed to be used as a surrogate solution for the champagne with which some wealthy gent scented his baths, then it really must be tested in those waters. I may have to acquire a bottle for that purpose. Do try this at home!

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This is a strange beast: a cold, dry aquatic like Acqua di Gio but with unexpected depth, and a much more abstract edge. It opens with a distinct grassiness, no sweetness whatsoever, and only a small amount of citrus hiding in the background. Even in the top notes, I recognize the plasticky vibe that persists throughout the life of the fragrance; by all accounts I should detest this, but I don't. It has some astringence, but it's more of an astringent scent rather than the astringent burn that some of the more bracing scents can have up inside your sinuses. The middle becomes leafier, and maintains its steadfast refusal to become sweet. Even though it's clearly very synthetic, its calmness (in spite of powerful strength) allows it to present a futuristic tone, rather than a cheap one. People often say the base is woody but I would qualify that, saying that the note is of an actual piece of lumber, not the sweet or spicy "woody" notes that we've come to expect and love in most men's fragrances. As much as I thought Issey was weird the first few times, and almost got rid of it, I have to applaud its unsweetness. It is the scent of an imaginary world made of softly glowing gray plastic, housing a deep presence whose life force pulses light through the walls themselves.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

Having just reviewed the original, I'm now exploring its even stranger flanker. The opening is very nice: a just slightly sweetened cedarwood, like Azzaro Visit or Gucci Rush but without any of their harshness. I suspect the sweetness comes from violet, which I don't normally like but I can deal with such a small amount for now. The middle becomes sweeter still (though still not much compared to most of the competition) and presents more dried leaves and twigs than cedar; here the two scents have diverged enough in the ratios of their notes to be in different categories altogether. One problem here, though, is that what little astringence there is is more of a nose-burn than in the original. The vague purple aura of violets annoys me more in the base, even though it still contributes very little sweetness. Sniffing back at the original, I'm disappointed that the Intense lacks that specific type of sharpness which I liked so much, though I can respect the dirt and wood that it adds in its place. I'm giving it a neutral thumb because I'm not quite sure on what terms to evaluate it. Definitely more outdoorsy and less mechanical than the original.

Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal

I often talk about fragrances that burn my nose too much, but the first time I tried it, this brew was the real deal...nasal rape in the first degree, premeditated and remorseless. Yet now, coming back to it, I'm morbidly intrigued. I can find lavender and lemon, with the bitter wetness of the pure green notes you find in Sisley Eau de Campagne or Hermes Eau de Gentiane Blanche. But it was actually not the very top notes (first minute) that felt like a violation of my soul, rather the period after that, once the green foliage had already faded away but the stern, coldhearted citrus of Blenheim Bouquet and its ilk remained. This time it's not burning as much as I remember from before, and I'm impressed with the unusual lack of sweetness. I think my earlier trauma was because I was smelling it last in a long line of newly arrived sample vials, and something earlier (their vile Vetiver!) had set me off, because this time it seems like a manageable dry herbal fragrance. Buyer beware!

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

Princess by Vera Wang

Overpriced. Smells cheap and poorly blended and exceedingly artificial. Stick with Avon if you want inexpensive and simple scents.

Heaven Sent (new) by Dana

I looked up the word "Abomination" in the dictionary and guess what, a flacon of Heavenscent was next to it

Do It! by Lomani

Very appealing pyramid indeed, but I could not find most of the notes.
    The opening is extremely shortlived, I could not detect any citrus after I stopped spraying, very dry geranium and carnation are the dominant notes, and I mean dominant, just a whiff of some trying to impersonate lavander for a minute or two and then it sweetens a little with some musky/ambery drydown with a touch of dirty patchouli. And all this in less than 2 hrs, the longevity of this mess is not longer than any cheap Eau du Cologne, and the sillage is null.
    In short:

Don't Do It!!!

White Musk for Men by Body Shop

Clean is the word for this perfume, squaky clean just out of the shower and sorry but not opening notes, no heart notes either, this baby goes right to basenotes in a hurry. I do not detect any flowers on it but a musk note that overwhelms everything, and as it musk is not sweet enough, tonka bean is the squire to the musk knight. Some sandalwood and vetiver remain in the background but all the glory goes to this musk/tonka pair as they march this very linear perfume to its end.
    To enjoy this perfume you must like musk very much and do not look for development here because this scent is as linear as it could be.
    Like most Body Shop perfumes, longevity is poor and sillage is mediocre, but the scent is so pleasant that it would get my thumbs up.

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

really nice and clean scent. it's a 9 to 5 type scent...well worth the $230 price tag

Cooper Square by Bond No. 9

this is my weekend scent...nice musky scent....the scent of a real man

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

this is my evening scent ...nice musk and woody smell

genxr's avatar
    genxr

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

As others have stated, this is a bold scent, and I give it credit for that. I can appreciate what others enjoy about A*Men.

However, on my skin I can't get past the chocolate/cocoa blast. It's a chocolate oriental scent that's simply overwhelming.

It's definitely more wintery and probably for a younger crowd.

The One Gentleman by Dolce & Gabbana

this is a nice scent to wear as a light every day wear... the scent does not stay with you long.

voidvader's avatar
    voidvader
    Brazil Brazil

Polo by Ralph Lauren

For me far the best polo available. It´s masculine and dry. It has a common dry woods vibe from 70´s and early 80's that i found in santos concentree too. The other polo scents are too "teeny" as blue polo, that is not for me.

bhanny's avatar
    bhanny

Patou pour Homme Privé by Jean Patou

Wow, this is an amazing perfume. Its opening is a wonderful blast of, as stated in a previous review, one the nicest lavender accords I've had the pleasure of sampling. The lavender is fairly quickly joined by an amazing green accord, with prominent galbanum and oakmoss, exquisite. The fougere heart is of course there with plenty of coumarin, giving the "newly mown hay" effect. It also helps some vanilla to slightly sweeten the base, which is smooth and delicious sandalwood and friends.

Folks, if you get the chance to try this, jump on it. It is wonderful. I'd bathe in the stuff if I could, its that good.

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

L'air du temps is one of my favourite spicy florals of all times. Unfortunately, where I live, drugstores have been overselling it at ridiculously low prices for over 25 years making it a very common fragrance. L'air du temps ended up being considered a cheap perfume and many women refuse to wear it because of that. It's a pitty. This great classic deserved better.

Vetiver by Guerlain

What a shame! This great classic has been subdued to the point it no longer qualifies as an EDT as far as I am concerned. It is almost as weak as an aftershave lotion. My brother and father wore it for many years (before they changed the bottle and the composition). They would apply it early in the morning and the divine woody scent would last for 12 full hours. I wore it too and I loved its lasting power. As a matter of fact, I was sure this was an EDP, not a mere EDT. Vetiver by Guerlain has let me down and I am bitterly disappointed.

Mario-K's avatar
    Mario-K
    Poland Poland

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

With this scent, I begun my adventure with fragrances. Still love it. Elegant, sexy, seductive and lasts ages.
    Great job.

Tabac Blond by Caron

I have a vintage bottle of Tabac blond I bought at the Avenue Montaigne Caron boutique in Paris, back in the early 80's. I still wear it occasionally in the winter. The spicy carnation and the rich vanilla are toned down just a bit by the dry leather note which makes for a truly original deliciously daring composition. They don't make fragrances like this nowadays, unfortunately.

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

Encens Epicé by Il Profumo

Nice opening, disappointing drydown. Encens Epicé starts with promising resinous notes joined by dark green/brown coniferous with an overall effect that's at the same time smoky but light, deep yet somehow clean. Woods play an important role throughout. In the drydown the scent turns to be a bit sweeter and sort of "synthetic/soapy" (forgive the lack of better words) winking at the "air-freshener" type of stuff.

Not exactly unpleasant but too little incisive for my likes and for its name.

sjohnjay's avatar
    sjohnjay

Original Cologne by Creed

Rice powder? Pfffftttttt (scoff, scoff).......Whatever!
    All things considered (especially the $600 pricetag), this is abysmally insipid.
    The best compliment one could give this stuff, is that it smells a bit like a weak and inferior rip-off of D&G Pour Homme (which is not exactly a firecracker in my book, either).
    While I (honestly) am not picking Creed apart, or slamming their efforts just for the sake of doing so- I have to say that this has not ONE single redeeming quality.
    If you fancy the idea of a "classic" EDC-type thing, Royal Water and Selection Verte have this genre covered already.
    I was actually eagerly anticipating the U.S. release of this stuff several months ago. I was even half-minded to blindly purchase a bottle via the official Creed site. Thankfully I was able to locate some sample vials prior to making a $600 mistake.
    By far the most half-assed outing from Creed to date.
    Try before you buy.

Sanrio - Hello Kitty by Demeter Fragrance Library

Red apple, green apple, yellow apple? Hmmm... I guess it's all a matter of interpretation when it comes to these entirely, unrepentantly synthetic solutions.

Sanrio HELLO KITTY, of which I was sent a mini some months ago, smells to me as though it was drawn directly from the huge vat of light, somewhat sweet florientals from which most celebrities' commissioned perfumers appear to commence. Then they add a touch of this or that--a bag of sugar, a bit of "citrus" interest up top, a few spices or what not--and slap their celebrity's name on a bottle designed under their "creative direction" as well. With this worthy task completed, the perfumer hits the road with another line on his or her c.v. and a portfolio one page thicker than it was before.

The good news is that this mass market launch (unlike some fly-by-nighters) did not assault my central nervous system. The bad news is that it did not exceed my exceedingly low expectations. The perfumer must have gone AWOL on this one, as it's about as generic as they get. I don't even think that I could throw this mini in as an extra to a swap. (Well, at least not in good conscience...)

He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood by Dsquared2

This starts out much weaker, dustier, and less sweet than the original. It's definitely more serious about resembling wet wood, though...in that sense the original was way too green and flowery. It's still a bit synthetic, though not as much as the original, or as l'Eau d'Issey Intense, which I reviewed recently and also found to be a nice, dirty, wet wood. Only after some time do the sweet green violets, which were so prominent in the orignal, come into play somewhat, and this gives it just the right balanced amount of sweetness. It's actually a very good walking-through-the-forest scent, and it took me a while to realize that because it's the scent of a much wetter, colder forest than the dry, sunny ones that I'm used to here in the southwest. In spite of its weakness, this flanker lives up to its name better than the original, and I'm very curious to try the new Ocean Wet Wood and Silver Wind Wood flankers. I'd almost give it a thumbs-up for being less synthetic, and overlook the weakness, but I won't because I'm so sick of violets these days, and the juice is so darkly colored.