Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

Zut's avatar

Bellodgia by Caron

This fragrance will always be one of my favourite classics. It may be a little bit strong at first but it develops divinely. In fact, I love Bellodgia so much I could use it as room freshener! For some reason, it reminds me of the beach when I was a kid back in the early 60's. Maybe the carnation scent was used in suntan lotions. Who knows!

05th September, 2011

EdwardBenton's avatar

Northern Ireland Northern Ireland

Vetiver by Guerlain

My first impression of this scent was one of "datedness".

After wearing it a few times I feel I was being unfair.

There is a "powdery" note to this one and my girlfriend often decries its "dated" smell, but I feel that is down to association and fashion trends - and not the scent itself.

Wear this for a few days before you judge, it, wear it for a few weeks and no one else will - because theyll overcome their initial prejudices and associate it with you.

Clean, soothing and natural, this scent is a quiet winner.

05th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st September, 2011)

Redbeard's avatar

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

A nice, quiet vetiver with a subtle opening. Green but not intensely so, with just a bit of EdC-like floral citrus to liven things up. Grey is definitely the right color, because even though there's a decent amount of lemon in the top, the underlying foliage is rather subdued. The lemon actually does a nice, balanced job of accenting the other notes, rather than sitting on top and screaming like a bright yellow foghorn, as so often happens. In the middle I'm detecting just a dash of sweet spices, probably nutmeg, and this contributes to an overall tan or golden sweetness rather than the green sweetness you'd expect from vetiver, and a feeling more of autumn than springtime. TFGV would be good for conservative office settings or job interviews because it is so staid, which unfortunately means there's not much about it that stands out for its price. The sweetness level is very low, though, and while that's not as uncommon in vetiver frags as in some other categories, I still appreciate it. I just can't deal with it for a whole day because the base is too "perfumey" like AdP Intensa.

05th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 08th October, 2011)

dark phoenix 123's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

i did not think much of it (apart from it giving me a mild headache) when i sampled the current version. But when i chanced upon a vintage bottle yesterday, the smell instantly brought me back the 1984, when i was smelling it right from the scented pages of vogue. The ones i remember most vividly were giorgio and obsession. It is weird that it was only the vintage version that evoked my memories but not the existing version. i just cannot explain it. Scent-wise, i find the older version simply luscious, fuller and more rounded.. also less headache-inducing and does not sting my nose and make me sneeze like the new one does. And, of course, the scent lasts and lasts...

05th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 31st October, 2012)

krickard's avatar

Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

I purchased (blind) Éclat d'Arpège today. My immediate impression is that it reminds me of Bulgari Omnia Crystalline. It's a really lovely pale slightly milky(?) subtle woody floral that I will continue to enjoy wearing. I love it when a random purchase lands me a jewel.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

This is a largely classical composition, operating within fairly narrow creative parameters. The muted citrus opening is a sepia tinged antique, and it creates an air of impending dandyism. However, the general lack of potency ensures that this budding cavalier keeps his epee firmly sheathed. As it develops, it warms considerably, and the drydown is a hugely entertaining episode of soft powdery leather, and inferred sweetness.

Pour Monsieur may be as unobtrusive as wearing a white shirt, but it also creates the same clean lines and is a modest backdrop for more ostentatious accessories. The latter stages are faintly reminiscent of a diminishing application of the original Gucci Pour Homme. It is by no means a doppelgänger, but it's still worthy of a pointed finger, and a furtive second glance.

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Iris Ganache by Guerlain

Could it be possible to have an iris-based chocolate, which lacks the sweetness associated with the second ingredient? If so, take this new creation and place in a glass full of cognac. This is the opening of Iris Ganache, and so it remains until the end (decreasing the intensity of some notes, like cognac that appears only in the opening), faithful to the name. A feminine scent that could easily be shared with the opposite sex.

me2xv's avatar

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

I purchased a bottle of Polo Black a few years ago. The fragrance smelled good on the card, but when it was applied on my skin was a different story. This cologne smells just like plastic with a hint of lemon.

I actually swapped it for another fragrance.

I would not purchase again or recommend Polo Black to anyone.

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

One of the most mysterious and complex fragrance that I've tasted so far. L'air du Desert Marocain is a masterpiece created by Andy Tauer that captures the full aroma of a dry, dusty and smoky caravan crossing the desert's arid and hot environment.

We have in the opening, a light aroma of incense similar to the one in Jubilation XXV , but with the dried fruit of this Amouage being replaced by intense spices present in his brother Epic Man, combined with the scent of burnt wood, forming in L'air Desert, a theatrical picture of Arabia.

A fragrance much more focused on the male side that praises for the perfection in which it describes the environment that the name proposes. A work of art.

me2xv's avatar

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

I purchased a miniature of Versace Man Eau Fraiche and I really like it. Some people say it smells like apples, but to me it smells more like bubble gum / cotton candy. As for projection, it does not project that much - at least on me.

This is currently one of my favorite scents for summer. After I finish the miniature, I will be purchasing a larger bottle.

Chicagoista's avatar

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

Opening—orange, lemony lime, and an acrid note reminiscent of cat urine. Now that’s off-putting!

Within five minutes, the scent falls back sharply and only a faint whiff of oakmoss and orange remains, and that’s it. Sadly, I do not know if the sample I tried was an edc or an edt. If it were an edt, that lack of longevity would be criminal.

I then decided to go back and drown my arm in the scent as if it were an edc. Cat urine accord seemed more unified with the other components of the frag. Still, same thing occurred—within a few minutes the scent mostly vanished, though not quite as much now that I had doused myself. What I then had was a 3-hour-plus somewhat transparent veil of oakmossy orange that might please someone, perhaps an orange lover deeply afraid of sillage.

Back to Black by By Kilian

This turned out quite well with me,it has a musky/honey is the best i can describe this scent,good for nights out or if the weather is on the cool side.

A Taste of Heaven by By Kilian

This is the scent ive been hunting for,i asked on basenotes for a floral/green/vanilla and some said curon homme but others really suggested this one and i bought a sample awhile back and i gave this fragrance time and it turned out to be one of my favorite scents. Even master piece worthy. 5 out of 5 and it last's on me for 14 hours.

Love by By Kilian

I got a rose almost cotton candy smell,i like it but wouldnt wear it to a party or anything.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

I love it,not exactly irish spring but a great layer to ad a bit of a sexy tone. A nice out of the shower smell.

Zut's avatar

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Of course, L'heure bleue is kind of sweet and powdery. A mixture of carnation, iris, tonka, benjoin, tuberose and vanilla with just a hint of anise will do that. Nevertheless, this great Guerlain classic has a lot of class and personality. As much as I hate the "gourmand" perfumes à la Thierry Mugler, I love L'heure bleue with a passion. Obviously, not every one can handle such a rich fragrance but those who can will make some heads turn.

Chicagoista's avatar

Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Opening begins with a strong rose accord that is alive and verdant. Geranium is present as well, and I’m struck by the juicy, springy quality of the scent at this point. Nothing old-fashioned about it.

Then, the scent gets warm, mmmmm. Like red wine. So sophisticated, so rich.

Over the top sillage. Recommend a spritz between the breasts and that’s it.

Interestingly, the scent seems to have a motor that gets stronger as it develops. The frag becomes very intoxicating and begins to feel almost too heady, too much…but not quite. Scent thens retreats a bit and draws you in more. ☺

In the drydown Une Rose loses its sweetness. Wood accords reveal themselves, with an aromatic, then slightly spicy note. The rose accord continues, but more quietly. Here, the scent takes on an almost masculine quality.

A surprising scent. A fabulous scent.

Ozjon701's avatar

Roadster Sport by Cartier

I too tested Roadster Sport along side the original and both mine and my wife's preference was for this one. I find it to be a decent casual fragrance, with good longevity and an interesting hint of spice which makes it a viable option year round.

Mario-K's avatar

Poland Poland

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

This fragrance broke all the rules on perfume market. Never gets old, and always will be brilliant. This is a must have. Timeless and simply perfect... Two tumbs up.

Mario-K's avatar

Poland Poland

Fahrenheit Absolute by Christian Dior

Terrible scent. I tried a few times, and each time, my wife threw me out of the house. It's not even a shadow Fahrenheit. Dark, almost black musk, medicine. I feel like I was at the cemetery on a rainy day. For me, an abomination. Absolute sikness...

joshuaang's avatar

Guess Seductive Wild Summer by Guess

Smells like a neutered version of Japanese Cherry Blossom by Bath and Body Works. Thankfully, sillage is low and its sweetness isn't overbearing. Recommended for your 10 year old daughter, cause that's as seductive as this fragrance gets.

Nice bottle, though.

bartdino's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

its a good citrus fragrance, like only Creed in my opinion is able to do...comparing with bois de cedrat NS has a good longevity...my problem is that on my skin it become sour after an hour, and its a pity because its a great work form Creed

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Labdanum 18 / Ciste 18 by Le Labo

By suppressing the no-holds-barred creamy opulence of his earlier Musc Ravageur, Maurice Roucel has neutered that horndog, forfeiting its libidinal charms, and the resulting Labdanum 18 is really just a big, frigid amber. There’s some commendable birch tar up top, but the remaining timid animalics combined with the vanilla smell, amusingly, like a newly wiped and powdered baby’s bum.

L'Eau du Navigateur by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Supposedly the first fragrance to use a coffee note and it's there at the top for a nanosecond only. It then becomes a pleasant, smoky tobacco infused with some soapiness in the drydown. A thumbs up for the fragrance on this basis,although it's a well worn road now, but don't buy this expecting an alternative to New Haarlem, for example.

Vanithé by Nez à Nez

I can't understand all the opprobium heaped on this scent. Admittedly, it's a fairly simple premise of tea and vanilla, but it is very well blended. It lasts for ages on me also and leaves a lovely sillage in it's wake. Imo, totally unisex. I have received amazingly positive comments from the fairer sex when wearing this, so can't be all bad.

L'Homme Sage by Divine

The only negative comments I have about L'Homme Sage is that it is rather bare and bony. That aside, it is one of the most beautiful mens fragrances money can buy.

Labdanum 18 / Ciste 18 by Le Labo

What do you know -- Le Labo have actually represented pretty well within the fragrance the name on the bottle. That resinous amber note softened by vanilla is very nice indeed. I can't smell a single trace of birch tar either -- it's not a leather scent. Rich and heady -- I love it.

West Side by Bond No. 9

Rose in the top notes only -- no way. The rose lasts right through to the end. I have an aversion to straightforward rose scents -- they usually give me a headache, but West Side has enough boozy and sweetish elements to make it very acceptable to me. I was toying with New Haarlem again as an Autumn scent, but I just don't get on with it. West Side is a very underrated fragrance.

blueyezz's avatar

Coromandel by Chanel

This has that gourmand-y sweetness going on that I just don't get on with. The spices are barely evident on my skin, with my least favourite perfume aroma, vanilla, taking centre stage. The patch is a supporting player to my nose. I wish it were stronger.

Try as I might, I just don't like it very much but I'm giving it a neutral as its clearly a good example of its type.

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Now, I really loved wearing Hot Leather by Mark Buxton and Nostalgia by SMN, but for some reason, I found Tuscan Leather rather disgusting, especially as it progressed. Beats me.