Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

Kaern's avatar

Fougère Royale by Houbigant

I really doubt whether this is anything like the original. Basically, it's way too busy and trying too hard. Fougeres are hardly shy, especially aromatic ones, but this cries out for some subtlety. It still smells pretty good and is definitely a bracing experience, but I'm not sure it warrants the £100 asking price as cheaper alternatives are numerous.

blueyezz's avatar

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

As already stated by many below, a very citrus lemon smell in the top, heart and middle notes that is clean and uncomplicated. I find myself wishing for a muskiness to give it some spine or bite.

Its a shame there isn't more going on but its ultimately a one-trick pony. In my opinion Eau Savage is a far better example of its type.

Pleasant but hardly exciting. I can imagine wearing it to an job interview.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Never thought I'd say this about a Serge Lutens Fragrance, but ho-hum...I'm bored. Thankfully it was a gift so I'm not out of money. I really appreciate that my friend thought of me on her trip to Paris, knowing that I like Serge Lutens fragrances, I just wish she would have asked me first so that she wouldn't be out of money as well. I may eventually wear this on the hotteset of summer days, but I don't see myself reaching for it just for the pleasure of savoring it as there isn't much to go on in complexity or sillage-wise. Hopefully my friend won't ever see this review.

JacquesD's avatar

Royall Vetiver by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

As a few previous reviewers have said, this is somewhat reminiscent of Guerlain's Vetiver, though not nearly as refined or long-lasting. (As for the claim that it's more expensive though - well, I'm not sure where they were shopping, but a generous 4 oz. bottle can be had for less than 30 bucks. Try finding any Guerlain for that much!) The vetiver note in this is sharp, astringent, and pronounced, bolstered by light citrus top notes and a solid (if fleeting) drydown that smells to me like cedar or musk. It's quite pleasant, and the feeling is more of a light and transparent "holiday scent" than something "serious" to wear to the office or a special occasion.

Trauerkraut's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Pure Morning Man by Marc O'Polo

Citrus/cedar - nothing special - 15 in a dozen - why does it exist?

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Bellodgia by Caron

Catching whiffs of Bellodgia this past couple of days made me realize just how sick I am of fragrance trends. That we are offered the equivalent of overpriced yet tasteless gruels every season. The version I had on might be non-vintage but it wore so wonderfully that I could only imagine just how good the vintage must be.

I particularly enjoyed the teasing interplay between zingy vanilla and cloves, oscillating with the heady blend of muguet and carnation. Amazing! Enough to leave me speechless at its trailing wake. Such a shame that nobody in my nook of the world wears this Caron anymore.

If there is one caveat it would have to be its room-filling potency. So all you heavy sprayers, watch out for the HazMat team.

PremierT's avatar

Calvin Klein Beauty by Calvin Klein

I was just browsing and an eager SA convinced me to try this. I can't give a full review because I paid no attention to the opening or mid-notes. It was as CK's usually are, pleasant and completely forgotten within an hour. The review comes some five hours later when I got a whiff of something sweet but sex-like on my wrist. I'd completely forgotten I had this stuff on and suddenly I'm getting what smells like the dry down of Annick Goutal Passion.. musk behind something green and very floral some combo of lily and maybe honey? I came to BN to check what others were saying and I was surprised by the scathing reviews. Sure its not ground-breaking but for the brand and the market their aiming at the scent is right on. On the top it is very feminine but inoffensive and hours later it still has some presence and smells like perfume rather than laundry detergent. Not bad.

Hudson59's avatar

Aqua Velva Ice Blue by Williams

Besides Mennen Skin Bracer, Shulton old Spice and Floid, the Aqua Velva Ice Blue is a true classic. With a fresh, elegant, non obtrusive scent that reminds a bit of lavender, vanilla and menthol.
    The previously mentioned Alfred Sung Hei is more just one of the thousands copies of Davidoff Cool Water, and has really nothing in common with Aqua Velva

Hudson59's avatar

Hei by Alfred Sung

I ordered Hei after it was suggested as a better Aqua Velva. I got disappointed terribly. Hei is just a cheap copy of Davidoff's Cool Water. Very plain, without character and gets annoying already after a minute.

bartdino's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Original Cologne by Creed

...great stuff...fresh and a little powder, I was not sure after testing because seemed a very light skin scent but after few days on me the cologne had a good longevity

The main problem of Original Cologne is the ridicolous price but if you can effort its a great scent

ps in Italy you can find also 30ml spray

06th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 07th September, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

LouLou by Cacharel

This is mostly honey to me. A remembrance of left back (in the far past) dreamy seasons of childhood this creamy-honeyed/stiky-floral/aldehydic juice is a blend of sophisticated flowers as iris, tuberose and magnolia flanked by the prominent orange blossom influence allover a bed of sandalwood, amber, honey, incense and vanilla. The latter, together with sandalwood and orange, represents the key note in order to create a sweety, almost edible, romantic, candied and youthful concoction. A touch of incense flanks the vanilla in order to exalt its appeal and to provide a touch of dreamy "childish" mystery. Luxurious but not particularly mysterious floral-oriental with great sillage and longevity although not enough sophisticated to become a favourite of mine. Actually too much sugary and mellifluous for my taste.

06th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 12th November, 2014)

LadyDragonFire's avatar

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

I absolutely adore this fragrance! It doesn't really smell like a perfume to me as much as it just smells like a soothing "spa" aroma. It's definitely a scent that could just as easily have been bottled and sold as an aromatherapy product. I loved it the minute I sprayed it on my arm and I continued to get good feelings from it all day as I shopped at the mall. I find that normally I feel cranky and tired in crowded malls, but the smell of Hypnotic Poison actually seems to calm and soothe me a lot. :D I think it must have been the EDP that I sampled because the longevity (on me) is fantastic and the fragrance didn't fade very fast. I've heard that the longevity on the EDT is not as good, but I forgot to read the bottle before spraying unfortunately so it might have just as easily been the EDT. Some EDTs that other people say don't last on them at all actually last for ages on me, so I'm honestly not too sure which version I'm reviewing lol!
    Overall, I have to say that Hypnotic Poison is probably my favorite Christian Dior fragrance and I definitely recommend it to everyone!

silentrich's avatar

Agua Lavanda by Antonio Puig

Great lavendar note and one of the true bargains in fragrance. I use this as an aftershave, on my hands, and before I go to sleep. It's just such a soothing and relaxing smell.

LadyDragonFire's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca by Guerlain

I'm not too sure why Guerlain claims this fragrance is supposed to smell like "freshly cut grass." I went to Sephora today and sprayed a bit of this scent on my arm and honestly, all I'm getting out of this one is lemon and lime. Maybe the fragrance is actually supposed to be lemongrass? In any case it definitely doesn't smell anything like Ormonde Woman by Ormonde Jayne which is more like what I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, I actually do like some citrus fragrances. I'm actually a pretty big fan of White Citrus from Bath and Body Works (which smells like this fragrance quite a lot actually.) But White Citrus isn't a really expensive fragrance. This isn't really the type of scent that I would pay over sixty dollars for, but maybe that's just me? Plus, the longevity is pretty bad. I find this fragrance fades out pretty fast.
    If you are a huge fan of citrus and "fresh out of the shower" fragrances that don't really smell like regular perfume then I would recommend this one. Otherwise, you might want to pass on this one (or just buy White Citrus.)

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Acqua Mirabile Odorosa di Firenze by I Profumi di Firenze

Honeysuckle leads the charge in this great little floral. Perhaps that's why I love it, as honeysuckle is one of two flowers that I could clearly identify the smell of way before I ever wore a fragrance, but unlike rose, I don't believe I've ever smelled it in a fragrance. It also contains a health dose of white musk, so the whole experience is fresh and clean.

Anyway, it's very simple, but it's doing "fresh" in its own way. That's why I want a bottle, see? Acqua Mirabile Odorosa di Firenze does a unique take on fresh, while still being very clear about its own freshness. Too much uniqueness with freshness quickly ruins the freshness, but not enough uniqueness causes "me too" and "hey, you smell like x" syndrome. I have quite a few of these Profumi di Firenze fragrances, and this one is certainly standing out amongst its siblings.

Oh, and another bonus, I can totally pronounce Italian, so if anyone asks me what I'm wearing I can tell them with confidence instead of lying.

Go shoppin for samples and get you one!

sherapop's avatar

Fifi Chachnil by Fifi Chachnil

Not sure whether I"d want to wear FIFI CHACHNIL as a perfume, but it certainly did a great job clearing up my sinuses and nasal passages on this drizzly day. Wow, what a startling opening: massive coriander and citrus, which somehow (I guess, assuming that camphor or menthol or something along those lines is not also in here...) together impart a camphorous quality which lingers on and on. I am convinced that this would truly work wonders for anyone suffering from a bad winter cold. Could also be a nice sauna scent.

In fact, this composition may be more a piece of aromatherapy, when all is said and sniffed, than a perfume, for the camphorous quality never really fizzles out as I would have expected. The myrrh does become rather marked over time, but its chaperone remains near by. Although the notes are very different, in terms of overall effect, FIFI CHACHNIL does not seem that far from my memory of Vivienne Westwood BOUDOIR with its equally weird bubble gum note. Which actually, come to think of it, makes a lot of sense.

Zut's avatar

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta

To me, this fragrance IS the early 80's. A few of my friends and aquaintances wore it back then and smelled wonderful. It was quite fresh yet persistent, a little soapy yet sophisticated. I tried it many times because I truly loved it. Horror! I smelled like Oxydol (a laundry detergent my mother used when I was a child). I have good memories of Oscar de la Renta pour lui when worn by other men and that's why I give it my Thumbs up! I don't know whether this fragrance is still available where I live but I haven't seen it (or smelled it) for years.

Indie_Guy's avatar

Égoïste Cologne Concentrée by Chanel

I just got a bottle of this Concentrée from eBay and it's absolutely incredible. It's deeper and spicier than the original-- and my nose detects almost Guerlain-like touch of civet in the base, which gives it a nice roundness to balance the sharp, sweet spices. I get rose and carnation too. Very woody also.

Like Le Grand Duc says-- it's much denser than the current EDT. Kind of reminds me a little of Donna Karan's original Fuel for Men, just a little. This is going to be great in cold weather.

If you see this, GRAB IT!

sherapop's avatar

Oriental Lounge by The Different Company

Prim and proper or pusillanimous? It's all a matter of taste, I suppose--one which I have yet to acquire in the case of the kinder, gentler, thinner orientals of which The Different Company ORIENTAL LOUNGE is one. Upon application, I was sure that I recognized the scent, and I probably did in the form of fleeting traces of many classic oriental perfumes, but here it was all too foggy and distinct, mealy-mouthed and weak.

"Thin orientals" seem to be wanting to be all things to all people but end by being simply too wishy-washy for me. I guess that I'm just old school when it comes to orientals. I like them dark, strong, and intoxicating. The sort of perfume that you'd have to wear to be noticed in a dark, smoke-filled oriental lounge, come to think of it. Does ORIENTAL LOUNGE smell bad? No, not at all. But it smells to me like the silhouette of a perfume.

Although ORIENTAL LOUNGE is not for me, anyone who likes this sort of "thin oriental" should definitely check out the Romea D'Ameor line (also composed by a great nose, but not his best work, IMNSHO).

Jermel's avatar

Aventus by Creed

Obviously, I like this fragrance. I have to admit... I do not wear this one nearly as much as MI, SMW, or GIT but when I do, I receive more compliments than the other creeds. The dry down in Aventus sort of resembles the "typical cologne" smell ( to a certain degree) while maintaining niche class and character. The burst of pineapple in the opening is the best part.

manicboy's avatar

Monsieur Rochas by Rochas

Smoky fougère. When's the last time you heard those two words together? I'm referring to the vintage version of MR so I can't comment on the current batch. Guy Robert composed this shortly before he crafted Hermes Equipage which is somewhat similar to MR. In MR, Monsieur Robert takes the classical fougère structure and adds a tobacco-like accord to the mix. According to the "official" note pyramid, there's no tobacco listed in the juice so the smoke is either an illusion or a combination of other accords. There is mastery and alchemy here. I smell also cinnamon and that's not listed either. The effect of MR is like stepping into a comfortable drawing room where smoke remnants have soiled the leather upholstery, ladies are soaked in lavender and carnations have been collected in a vase on the coffee table. It's a joy to still be able to find vintage MR where the ravages of time have not erased this treasure. I just wish Monsieur Robert would've been imitated as fougères went the safe and clean route years after rather than the nuanced and elevated example Monsieur Robert forged with MR. The possibilities are endless.

Jermel's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

This is the best job interview fragrance. Two sprays and you're good to go.

(Untitled) by Martin Margiela

This is absolutely fantastic scent. It feels as extension of my soul, gives me the feeling of my own identity- elevated. Rare and sublime. Beautiful.

Aramis by Aramis

I blind bought it- considering all the positive voice. Mistake, indeed! What happens after spraying this monster just once is impossible to describe. It makes me wanna vomit. It floods all around the room and gives no space to breathe. Annoying, brutal and definitely not for me. I offered it to many people as bottle for free but everyone seemed to hate it.
    Awful- needs more negative reviews!

Attar by Montale

My first experience with the house of Montale. I am very impressed. Stunning stuff. Elegant, long lasting, delicate and the smell is an oasis for my nose. Rose, saffron, creamy, soft, luscious. I need to get to more from this house. This is a must buy so far!

Birmane by Van Cleef & Arpels

I like this that much that I gotta wear it even though I am a man. The ultimate potion with the name that is mysterious and seductive: Birmane. In fact this is very hard to find while it was discontinued. I have got my bottle for perhaps 7 years and still smells great. Undoubtedly quality that lasts forever.

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Love at the first sight. This meets all my demands for this sort of fragrance. Love the smoothy frankincense and smoky woods. Best value for your cash. Special one and one of my all times favorites!

Zut's avatar

Fidji by Guy Laroche

I was not aware there was a new less interesting version of Fidji. If so, this is a shame. I loved the original 1966 version. IMHO, Fidji was one of the best green florals of that era. It was fresh and light yet very sensuous and intoxicating. Not too long ago, I was in a lift with a woman who was wearing the original Fidji. It brought back a lot of good memories.

EdwardBenton's avatar

Northern Ireland Northern Ireland

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I think this fragrance's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness. The strong cedar notes on the opening of the EDT to me is a strength. I love that cedar bite and find the citrus notes equally appealing.

Alongside Guerlain Vetiver this is one of my most used fragrances.

IndianBoyz's avatar

India India

Original Santal by Creed

Rather boring scent, and I'm having a hard time finding the sandal here. Clean but nothing special.