Fragrance Reviews from January 2012

Safetyjon's avatar

Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

Every so often, I try a fragrance that is completely incompatible with...me. That would aptly describe LpH. I blind-bought it based on BN reviews, and I regret it. From the first spray I knew. There was no gray area. I find it to be repulsive and synthetic. It may be the worst fragrance I have ever bought. I now know that I despise pineapple-based fragrances.

BigJoe's avatar

Blue Amber by Montale

Went a day without taking a shower, and guess what I still (strongly) detectable on the skin? Blue Amber. At first, it screamed "Grandma!", but over time I took a liking to it. Over time, you get a strong, powdery scent that envelopes you all day.

The best i can compare this to is Prada Amber Pour Homme, but Montale is superior in every way. I ended up getting a 15ml decant, which will likely last me over a year. It's not something I would wear daily, and frankly, one spray is all you need.

Duke of Buckingham's avatar

1818 by Brooks Brothers

Upmarket barbershop for the corner office crowd. It opens all boozy and brave but quickly goes vanilla and, frankly, bland. Not that 1818 is a bad scent. It’s perfectly balanced for the office – and as unsexy as button-down shirts. It’s clean, a little on the sweet side, with a touch of flowers. . . and that cologne vibe. (By this I mean that generic musky aftershave element that says don’t worry, it’s a cologne you are smelling.) People get 1818 for Christmas with ties and socks.

I’m giving 1818 a neutral review because it’s well blended and has a little more character than the majority of department store fragrances. I think it’s the cloves that rescue it. But check out Knize Ten for the real old-money-in-a-bottle vibe.

Duke of Buckingham's avatar

Noir Patchouli by Histoires de Parfums

Where’s the patchouli? Come to think of it, where’s the noir? Never has a scent been more misnamed.

I know it’s wrong to get hung-up on the name, but it must be said that Noir Patchouli lacks both darkness and patchouli. In fairness, it opens with a well-blended patchouli, but then many scents blend in a spoonful of patch for that element of earthiness and depth. There is not a hint of headshop here. It’s about cardamom and vanilla, with a hint of flowers and some vetiver. Frankly, the cardamom saves the day. I know it gets a bit leathery as it dries down, but I get more candy than leather.

Noir Patchouli is blending at its most skillful, but I’d prefer it if it was more of a vile, stinky beast. A mix of patchouli, cardamom, vetiver and leather sounds glorious to me. Put together differently (thrown together, actually) you’d have a sweaty, dirty patchouli frag, although I can see why Histoires de Parfums wanted to avoid this. Noir Patchouli is about creating a refined, original scent from overbearing, clichéd ingredients. It’s genius, but doesn’t move me.

Dernier_Cri's avatar

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

The first thing I always get here is spice. Sharp. Clean. Stimulating. Refined. A slight soapiness. A faint rubbery note. The rose is kind of nestled down in there somewhere. I think comparisons with the rose-centered fragrances Montale Black Aoud and Domenico Caraceni 1913 are appropriate. That 88 doesn't share the obliterating spiciness and soapiness of the barbershopper DC13 is a virtue. Black Aoud's rose is centerstage. The rose in 88 is in heavy competition with incense. I don't think I can ever get around the rubber note I've described previously with such horror in my review of Black Aoud, but at least the rose in BA is quite magnificent. 88 is the safe bet. But Black Aoud is the more intelligent and bold choice. It makes the kind of statement 88 and DC13 never could.

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

I cant come to be friends with this one. I find it very unclassy and cheap-smelling. It -even if it sounds a little harsh here- reminds my of some bathroom-cleaners. Its pretty stinging and artificially. nah, would not want to smell it on my loved-ones. (and said them so :). thumbs down

No. 5 by Chanel

THE CLASSIC! Well... maybe. but its not that good. Since i wasn't quite familiar with this fragrance till relatively recently, i was stunned by the fact that it smells THAT soapy. Its really prevalent.
    Yeah, its a decent scent, i wouldn't dismiss it or want to tell people to wear something else since it is pleasant. But its really nothing far-out there. Buy it if you want, i like it, but wouldnt fall in love with it. Neutral.

Couture Couture by Juicy Couture

Its an amazing smell! Very fruity and classy. it really is a pleasant scent. Yes, one COULD figure out some irritating powderiness if you really want to, but this powderiness tends to wear off and then its pure awesomeness. I would recommend this. To me this smells even better than Chanel No.5 (and to others too, since i gave people both perfumes to compare) which i would consider similar. Its one of my favorite women's smells, and since it is exclusive and not yet wide spread it even is more attractive. Both thumbs up!

dicegrrl's avatar

Sexy Little Things by Victoria's Secret

I bought this because my boyfriend liked it. I personally think it is a bit weak and lacks depth. I use this for everyday wear and the longevity leaves a lot to be desired. However, my nose tends to prefer the expensive stuff. This was a compromise between my love of expensive perfume and my boyfriend fussing at me for spending too much money on perfume! :)

Shalimar by Guerlain

I dont quite like it. I blind-bought it because it was oh-so praised here on basenotes. That was a mistake. It smells pretty much like joss sticks and reminds me of red-light-establishements (thou ive never been in one :). As KatiePuckrikSmells stated in her YouTube-Review the smell was considered "a perfume with a bad reputation" and that "there are three things a "Lady" never did [..], wear shalimar", this is pretty much spot on. Its not western-classy but oriental-brothelesque.. thumbs down.

Sandrajj's avatar

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

I am wearing this today, and still cannot for the life of me LIKE it. It's just toooo fruity! It certainly lasts a very long time, wish I could say the same for some of my favorite fragrances.

dollars&scents's avatar

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estee Lauder - Upon application, one is treated to a salt water and fruity melange. I suspect Eden's Mist is calone with its watery, marine and ozone accord furnishing a delightful, fresh, seashore apparition. Fruitiness of ripened melons and somewhat medicinal cucumber is provided by the Brazilian jabuticaba, while South African buchu leaves impart their rain forest vibe with their lush and woody aspects as well as a faint mintiness. This refreshing opening drifts to the waiting middle. Here, in the heart, herbaceous lavender, with its inherent freshness, a mediterranean accord of earth and sweet cistus as well as vivacious herbs overhaul the blend. Balsamic sage along with verdurous tarragon, with its licorice and lemon vibe, as well as lemony and woody thyme wonderfully interplay. The strong base usurps this bracing mix. Old and weather-beaten beachwood, green and grassy vetiver, minty and muddy patchouli, earthy and foresty oakmoss as well as light and spicy melaleuca bark, all bestow their sensuous character. A fascinating drydown ensues. This impressive and manly composition has good projection and very good longevity.

jlentz's avatar

Patchouli Intense / Patchouli Homme by Nicolaï

I received a sample of this from a superb Basenotes member. First sniff, I was hooked! I loved the brash in your face opening that some here described as a punch in the nose. Needless to say I ordered a full bottle from Luckyscents. I have to say that I was more than a little disappointed to find (in my opinion) the opening toned down quite a bit. Gone was the smoldering smoke of patchouli leaves. I get more of a subdued patchouli, vanilla scented rose opening that last throughout. Was the formula change along with the name to appease a more unisex crowd? I still really like the stuff, but it's just not the same. Seems more of smoke from a distant fire!

01st January, 2012 (Last Edited: 07 February, 2012)

silversurfer's avatar

Yatagan by Caron

Wow! How do I describe this sample from The Perfumed Court (now own Yatagan)?
    Initial impression: herbal, including basil & something else…
    @ 5" in, I'm picking up another vegetal note- a clean celery (IFF's Vertofix?). No lavender yet, & no pine yet at least not of the resinous, evergreen, unless, just a whiff of dried, seasoned pine lumber.
    @ 10" Perhaps there's also a hint of the celery morphing into wormwood or vetiver. I also get memories of Hugo Spirit with a touch of Ungaro pour L'Homme III. Is there an unlisted cumin or curry note?
    @ 20" I'm picking up additional notes that remind me of the scent of the bark on the Live Oak in my back yard
    @ 30" the same
    @ 60" no change
    @ 2 hrs no change except projection fading
    I don't get it- after multiple tests over several days, it's another nice Caron. What's there to say "Yuck" to?
    2011 update: while it's not in my top 5, I did like it well enough to buy it, & wear occasionally.

01st January, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 May, 2014)

Darvant's avatar

Vanille Bourbon by Il Profumo

A vanilla based scent that possesses in its body something  arcane that is a reminiscence of the candid and powdery  cleanliness of the childwood. Some talc and aromatic dust tickle your nose and just an hint of rosey wind fluctuates in the air. I love the note of eliotrope that is present in the blend and that produces that edible and tasty sort of touch that reminds me the Christmass of my youth. The fragrance is clear, soft, dry and evocative. The base is ambery vanilla and powder. I smell something neutral as in some white bath foams and the smell is too linear to turn out enough sophisticated and complex. Not bad and romantic anyway.  Because of its candid whiteness it reminds me a bit the confortable Ambre et Vanille by E. Coudray.

mikesc's avatar

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

Euphoria is the perfect cologne for those occasions where you want to smell good for about an hour. Then it fades to nothing. If you hold your nose right up to where you sprayed it you might catch a very faint reminder that you have it on. I really like the scent, but Euphoria totally fails in all other categories. No projection and no longevity.

SirSlarty's avatar

Trussardi Inside Man by Trussardi

A green tobacco accord is the crux of the entire fragrance. The opening is quite sharp (bergamot and yuzu I assume) but tit fades into a very pleasant tobacco and coffee accord over a light woods. Not sweet at all. Average longevity and sillage; a couple of sprays is all you need. I like it in the fact that it is not another clean and fresh scent.

mikesc's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Love this one. Clean and refreshing scent. Not sure about longevity yet. I heard I needed to try Prada Infusion before I purhased this one so I did. Wife preferred the TM Cologne over Prada and so did I. Prada had a luxurious soap scent, but the TM was a cleaner more pronounced experience.

Barbara Bui by Barbara Bui

It's almost a teen cliche: The interesting smart girl acts dumb to try to get people to like her. At its core, Barbara Bui Le Parfum is a very well thought out study in the contrasts and similarities between heliotrope, tobacco leaf, and tonka, all of which share similar papyrus/marzipan/musky undertones. It uses a clever subtle cherry to bring a loukhoum character to the heliotrope, which forms a clever heart with a tea-ish mix of coriander and roses, while a pinch of cedar brings out the papyrus and the rosewood elements of the tobacco leaf. Meanwhile, it dries down to a nice woody tobacco musk similar to Love's True Bluish Light.

But then, like a smart girl who intentionally fails math in a misguided attempt to get boys to like her, Le Parfum then drowns this incredibly clever interplay under a flood of cheap, common-smelling pink pepper and fake amber in a really obvious and sad attempt to pass off a smart composition as just another commonplace smell-alike fruity floral. Doh! I should vote thumbs down, but there's an incredible perfume hiding under that generic mall smell...

Rêve en Cuir by Indult

I'm still not entirely sure about Francis Kurkdjian. His best works are weird hot messes that somehow, through either genius or blind luck, somehow prove to be intriguing and fun to wear (think A*Men...). Reve En Cuir is one of those strangely compelling messes.

Imagine a leather purse soaked in A*Men and then covered with lavender and an especially herbal licorice note, then dusted in mace and nutmeg and pie spices. As such, it's a particularly spicy gourmand patchouli more than a leather scent, but it's just out there enough to not smell like other gourmands (though it clearly contains the dominant dna of A*Men, New Haarlem, and other sweet patchouli/lavender scents).

I'm giving it a neutral rating simply because this isn't what I'm into, but Reve En Cuir is definitely interesting and well crafted, though I'm still unsure if it's accidental or not...

SirSlarty's avatar

Antaeus Sport by Chanel

Simply put, a lighter, smoother version of the wonderful Antaeus. Less herbal and more woodsy with a different sandalwood note. Also of note, towards the end, Antaeus Sport smells a lot like Versailles pour Homme by Jean Desprez's styrax.

DutchSchwag's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Santa Fe for Men by Aladdin Fragrances

Alcohol laden opening quickly cools into a vanilla, cinnamon spiced nutmeg fragrance that relies heavily on the vanilla. Certainly does take liberal inspiration from Caron's Third Man and lesser so from Calvin Klein's Obsession but it does seem to dig deeper into 1970's mandarin, powder and spice giants like Lagerfeld for its inspiration.
    Santa Fe is certainly not a head-turner and is dangerously close to cloying and may not work for some skin chemistries. I wouldn't suggest it for a night out or a clutch evening when an impression can go a long way. It lacks the complexity of its influences but it is a decent, casual scent with excellent value given the somewhat organic smelling elements and low price. Still, the blending itself does imply a certain cheapness but that can easily be overlooked given Santa Fe's lack of pretension.
    Santa Fe doesn't evolve too dramatically, moving towards a linear vanilla and powder bomb five minutes into the initial application. It sticks around fairly long for its price, with 4-6 hours not uncommon. Projection is not overwhelming, but it certainly is detectable and doesn't seem to slip into the realm of skin scent until midway through the drydown.
    A pleasing enough scent for those who enjoy vanilla and a little bit of spice that should only be used sporadically, as this one can be very cloying. For the price fairly enjoyable and worth the investment as a change-up in an already loaded arsenal. Nothing exceptional, but for those on a budget a tremendous bargain. Simple and a bit too powdery to work as a signature scent.

Dernier_Cri's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

I usually don't review classics like Guerlain Vetiver or Mitsouko or No. 5. I like smelling these things. They're educational and fascinating because of their history and legacy and who wore them and for those reasons I have a respect for them with makes me reluctant to be completely objective in my criticisms. Plus I don't think there's anything new I could add to what's already been said by so many wellintentioned reviewers. With classics for some reason all the reviews both good and bad seem appropriate. But I wanted to tell a personal little story relating to Guerlain Vetiver which is that when I was little and on vacation with my family we stopped at some Civil War site and my dad bought me some fake Civil War currency which I thought was really cool. It was all sepia colored and wrinkly and best of all it had the most intiguing sweet smell. I asked my dad why it smelled like that and he said, "Tobacco juice." They made it smell like tobacco juice. So if you ever find yourself wanting or needing to make your own fake Civil War currency I am here to suggest to you that you could do worse than to spray your notes with Guerlain Vetiver because the smell of Guerlain Vetiver is what made me think of that fake money after all these years. That's my story..... I know. ZZZZZ.

AussieC's avatar

Taiwan Taiwan

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

What can I say? I'm a sucker for aquatics and yes this is a generic aquatic. To be honest though it's not bad at all. And I am pretty shocked by the negative reviews.

When I sniff this I think of walking down a beach, the sun is close to setting but it is still scorching hot. Drinking a sprite and breezes of the sea blow by, the sweetness of the sprite is less and less apparent. Sitting down and tanning until the sun sets.

Light blue smells like a men's health magazine...

Longevity bad but honestly many d&g fragrances are light. The one and the one gentlemen both very light.

My suggestion don't buy unless you are a collector; my favorite aquatic must have is bulgari aqua.

Overall 6

Miracle by Lancôme

Miracle is kind of "meh" on me. It starts off with spiced orange, but with a heavy dose of something plasticky that gives it a really strange artificial feel - not cheap, mind you, but just weird (like Malle's Outrageous). The freesia note is sort of a round aquatic rose smell that mixes with the spicy plastic orange to remind me of semi-expensive beauty products (specifically Peter Thomas Roth, if you've smelled his stuff, or some of the current Estee Lauder skin care). If you wait through the plastic portion, you'll be rewarded with a really nice rounded dewy citrus & spice rose that's the highlight of Miracle. But, given a few hours, I'm left with a sort of weak rosey fake citrus smudge flavored with cinnamon and pie spices. Were it not for the terrible plastic smell, Miracle could have been a really nice citrus and spice rose/freesia perfume, but with the plastic intact, I'm afraid I'm going to have to vote thumbs down, but with all due respect for the nice spiced floral middle notes.

Ted Baker Skinwear by Ted Baker

This might be in the citrus/aquatic/woody sorta catagory but I've still never smelt anything like it.
    It has a few extra notes, mainly the rosemary and juniper that just really change it and stand out.
    Its not sharp and has a soft musky tone that always gets good compliments. Its great for everyday workwear esp in the summer and it stays fresh all day.
    An excellent example of a cheap fragrance done well!

Dunhill by Dunhill

Not bad, from the pyramid list you'd think it smells like everything else but it does have a really stand out soapy note to it ( i think its the orris)
    But yeah its a light, refreshing, citrus/woody/clean smell and seems to have good projection as just when i think its totally gone someone catches a whiff!
    Definately a springtime scent, i bought it blind and prob wouldnt buy it again.

Tam Dao by Diptyque

Still a great scent, fairly unique.
    Obviously a quality scent, i dont pick up on much synthetic stuff here
    It does have a strength to it thats really sharp on my nose and can be slightly headache inducing!
    Its woody but not dark, strong sandalwood, sharp cedar and spicy notes!
    Still a clean scent though not in the 80's sandalwood territory like a lot of frags.
    Nice autumn/fall fragrance.

smellindope0087's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Find this cologne so boring! To me it smells like dull oranges, hint of chocolate and honey. Personally I think it's been over hyped on BN. I'm willing to swap.

Wise Owl's avatar

Adidas Game Spirit by Adidas

Not a fragrance that I wear very often, but I really do like this light, sporty, oriental. I can't for the life of me seem to detect the notes of caramel and praline that form part of the base though? Notes are as follows: -

TOP: Pineapple, Melon, Lavender, Mint, Apple, Bergamot

MIDDLE: Honeysuckle, Magnolia, Jasmine

BASE: Sandalwood, Juniper Berries, Amber, Patchouli, Musk, Vanilla, Caramel, Vetiver, Praline