Fragrance Reviews from January 2012

dacerace's avatar

Kokorico by Jean Paul Gaultier

Abit disappointed,I have just got this today...and it definately wasnt what I was expecting...I do not really get any cocoa smell...in fact it smells more of a minty smell...and I would go as far as to say that I have smelt it before....yes...I have ...Cartier Roadster...or a Nicole Farhi ....doesnt smell bad...but if you are looking for a candy or chocholate smell...I dont get it!

Jack Hunter's avatar

Citrus Paradisi by Czech & Speake

A really awful grapefruit scent with something fecally unpleasant lurking in the background. It smells like a public restroom toilet that has been cleaned with detergent. A truly horrid fragrance, yuuukkk!

Possumbility's avatar

Smitty by Coty

Nice green, mossy light floral and slightly soapy. Reminds my of Anne Klein Blazer but less powdery.

SirScent's avatar

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

I'm changing my review to a Thumbs up from previous neutral.

I recently paired the Reaction cologne with the Reaction aftershave.
    Now, I get better longevity and the drydown is a lot nicer.
    The opening notes of melon and citrus appear to last longer now along with better sillage.
    I like most of Kenneth Coles fragrances and I am glad to have found a solution for making Reaction more to my liking.
    Yay!

17 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st March, 2012)

Thundra by Profumum

The Thundra's opening, as well as the others mentioned, is compelling, an unquestionably woodsy and aromatic blend of lavender, mushrooms, green leaves, mint and camphoraceous notes. You are ideally teleported on the borders of a russian birchs forest, in a cold weather, the smell is moody, silent, sulphureous, resinous and very aromatic ( herbs, eucalyptus and lavender). An earthy patchouli, flanked by tart citrus, roots  its backbone down in the depth of this silvan ground. May be some dried fruits or flowers are comprised in the blend. The smell is very earthy in its chord of patchouli, herbs and mushrooms. You can inhale the wet earth along this initial woodsy and rugged stage. Unfortunately the spell lasts a while, just the time the gassy note of mushrooms together with the general  cold harshness fade and a more bright (but highly pricey), musky, ambery, mild and woody base takes the scene. Evocative and meditative.

17 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 15 July, 2014)

Adidas Fruit Rhythm by Adidas

A fizzy cherry lollipop in a room full of insecticides. Not properly a gratifying experience.

Monsieur Rochas by Rochas

I have never seen nor smelled the new edition but I have fond memories of the vintage Monsieur Rochas I have discovered in college in the early 70's. I loved the sweet spiciness of the middle notes and the deep warm sensuous base notes. To me, Monsieur Rochas was the ideal fragrance to wear after ski in front of the fireplace while drinking hot spiced wine in good company. Not a summer fragrance!

Eau Cendrée by Jacomo

I started to wear Eau cendrée when I could not find Monsieur Rochas anymore. Both fragrances had the same type of warm spiciness but Eau cendrée was a little less sweet than Monsieur Rochas and somewhat woodier. I miss both fragrances. If I live to be a hundred years old, I shall never understand why perfume companies stopped producing such great fragrances while they keep flooding the market with unimaginative, nondescript, cheap, vulgar and loud fragrances that end up smelling all the same.

lovingthealien's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

One of the very, very best deals available. This one is to be strictly used on skin, lest you wish to smell like the "Mountain Rain" laundry detergents that are likely based on this classic!

The opening is a roll through a flower garden. "Green" starts and ends with this beautiful, bitter, juicy violet leaf opening. Galbanum and Citrus enhance and focus this bitter greenness, making it smell quite literally of crushed fleshy leaves, chlorophyll and peppery qualities abundant. Just beneath this realistic greenness is a beautiful floral bouquet. The entire effect is both realistic and nostalgic; this is truly the goal of perfumery. These florals play around with each other, some dominating over others, as the quiet, woody cyphre base adds a distinct edge to the scent, keeping it from just being a bubbly floral. It is shy, never really revealing its character through anything but subtle hints.

odysseusm's avatar

Un Jardin Sur Le Toit by Hermès

This is an odd-ball scent. Props to it for being something kind of off the charts. I can't decide what I think about it. It will never be bottle-worthy for me, yet I don't hate it. There are moments when I sort of like it and moments when I sort of don't like it.
    Cutting to the chase -- my problem is the vague suspicion or impression of a green cantaloupe note. This likely arises as the syncretism between the grass and basil notes with the fruit notes. Don't know how others feel about green cantaloupe; for me it is not a go-to note.
    I appreciate the green, grassy notes. They are herbal and very bright.
    The fruit is OK, just OK. On the plus side, it is not teeny-bopper or cutesy-poo. It is as bright and cheery as the herbal notes. On the down side, it is not really an identifiable fruit, certainly not "pear" or "apple". Rather, it is a generic crisp fruity sort of scent, obviously lab-concocted but not obnoxiously synthetic.
    Translucent, as I'd expect from Ellena.
    Sometimes I think the herbal notes work well with this Franken-fruit note; other times I'm not so sure.
    Certainly this is a spring-summery scent, both in style (light) and in mood (cheery).
    Perhaps, if I really use my imagination, I get the merest hint of a very shy young rose, just barely budding.
    Some have suggested that this scent is a somewhat jumbled or unreconciled melange of various notes, and I agree. Whether this crazy salad is to your taste is for you to decide.

odysseusm's avatar

Hermèssence Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermès

I have to register a negative vote, not because the scent is unpleasant but because it is so subtle as to barely register. I have a sensitive nose but this is beyond subtle, into the "attenuated" category, or almost invisible.
    The opening has promise: a somewhat substantial fruity apricot with some respectable orange blossom notes. Other florals of a delicate nature appear. As is typical with orange blossom, sometimes there are creamy notes and sometimes there are woody-stalky notes. The tea note is so subtle as to be non-existent. The scent is not sweet and certainly not heavy. The apricot, as is so often the case, has a slight metallic tinge.
    Poof! The scent recedes into the background and one is left sadly searching for even a ghostly impression of what had been.
    When it was present, it was mildly pleasant but not compelling. When it is absent, it is ... absent.

dollars&scents's avatar

Dans Tes Bras by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Dans Tes Bras by Frederic Malle - One is initially treated to a lovely, powdery violet floating on a bitter and juicy, citric cloud. A musty clove as well as a green and salty jasmine, more indolic and fleshy, breeze through that pleasing cloud, and redeposit a more green violet, akin to grass clippings with a tinge of cucumber. Transitioning to the middle, the florals take on a velvety texture, while exotic incense percolates and creamy sandalwood gentles the melange. Majical casherman imparts a rousing sensuality via its muskiness and powderiness, while earthy patchouli lends a damp and musky edge. This mysterious blend meanders to the awaiting base. Clean white musk infuses the alluring mixture with its soapiness and brightness, and delicate heliotrope bestows its warm and vanillic, floral facets. Somehow an illusion of a skin-like, waxy quality is presented in its drydown. Albeit well-blended and imaginative, this composition, with average projection and longevity, remains ho-hum.

rogalal's avatar

Sagamore by Lancôme

Try as I might, I just can't bring myself to like Sagamore. I've grown to love late-70's mossy green chypres, and Sagamore clearly owes them a debt of gratitude, but it's fantastic blend of forest-floor moss and rich earthy patchouli is buried under an unpleasant top of dank bergamot and overwrought lavender that feels somehow sour (as in sour milk) or like spoiled vinegar.

I reserve the right to change this review of it turns out that my sample has gone bad, but I'd much rather cross over to the 70's green feminines like J'ai Ose or Vent Verte, or even just have fun in modern moss-centric scents like Byredo's Green or TF's Moss Breches than spend any more time trying to convince myself to enjoy Sagamore, which seems to me to do what they do, but not as well. Sorry...

rogalal's avatar

Fire Island by Bond No. 9

I really shouldn't enjoy Fire Island as much as I do. On cold winter days or the first warm days of spring, it calls to me and I HAVE to wear it. It's like a bug summery smile in a bottle when I desperately need it (and I usually don't say things like that...)

As stated many times before, it's the smell of sunscreen on hot sweaty bodies on a beach, and is quite well done, smelling much more literally like the picture it creates than most perfumes. That being said, once the novelty wears off, I enjoy Fire Island for what it really is, a heady white floral perfume, a bit powdery, featuring a clever mix of orange blossom and neroli over big-ass tuberose, all played out over a clever musky base. There's something about the beach associations that make Fire Island more comfortable for men to wear than most big opulent florals, and I like that too.

blackened's avatar

Spain Spain

Spanish Leather by Geo F Trumper

Leather here is slightly sweet, nothing rough and presents a light animalic tone at the background (perhaps someone can see here a certain air of habit rouge ).
    I see a slight hint floral, some say to rose , but I see it more on the side of the lavender, which gives it a touch of clean, well groomed, in the barbershop style that gives the anis-lavender accord of Azzaro pour homme.
    I feel it close to skin, very restrained and with a soapy evolution, from well early.
    I think this is a good idea but no sot good execution.

Lunarloves's avatar

April Violets by Yardley

I got this because I love the scent of violets. It's not as simple a violet as one would think from it's name. It's layered with neroli I think. But I just can't wear violet! It's OK if I buy violets to spray round the room but on my skin violet develops a horrible odour within a short space of time. It's indescribable and I can only say it's like raw meat. I've tried samples of other violets , Violets de Toulouse, Boise de Violettes which promised much and ended up the same way. What's wrong with me?

Phileas by Nina Ricci

I still have the miniature they gave me as a sample in Paris the day it was launched. Althought I did not like this fragrance at first, it grew on me rather fast. In a way, Philéas reminds me of Yatagan by Caron. They share the pine needles, vetiver, patchouli and leather notes and both of them have that phantom celery note that is not mentioned in either olfactive pyramid. Although I love Philéas, I can understand why it did not catch on. This is certainly not an easy fragrance to wear. However, those who can wear it well will most definitely make heads turn.

ZarpyZulu's avatar

Jicky by Guerlain

It's only appropriate that this be my first review/contribution to the general pool of fragrance "knowledge," or opinion, at least. This was the first Guerlain that I asked to smell at The Perfume House--or what I like to refer to as "The Happy Place"--a wonderland of mostly non-mainstream scents in Portland, OR, USA. When the SA first spritzed it on a cotton ball, yes, I got lavender and citrus, but then recoiled when I sensed something I described as "fecal." That was my first encounter with civet. Actually, not true--my first civet encounter was in an occult store in San Diego...it was in the middle of a shelf of oils-n-potions, and the one I thought a person into magick could use to inflict the most evil. Just the thing to pour down the heating vents of an ex's Porsche.

Anyway, after months of obsessing over/collecting/ranking and re-ranking the most prominent Guerlains, I've returned to Jicky, and have reconsidered. It was only the civet that stood in the way of its fresh, herbaceous, androgynous character. And that was on a cotton ball. I went back to the Happy Place and finagled a vial when purchasing CdG Incense Avignon. On skin, lavender is the first thing that rises up. The civet is there, but its effect just serves to make the perfume "take a turn." Not the way of spoiled milk, but in traveling the labyrinth (of English hedges or Mediterranean sunbaked stone?), it's the t-intersection; I face a wall, a warm one, and keep exploring. This perfume's a bit 'bent.' Now I like it. Doesn't hit the heart of me, but a part of me.

knit at nite's avatar

Miss Dior Chérie L'Eau by Christian Dior

A person who has been used to Paris Hilton and Kimora Lee Simmons type scents would think Miss Dior Cherie L'eau is quite sophisticated, methinks. Not as bad as the original and I wouldn't be offended if I had to sit next to someone wearing it at work. In some ways it reminds me of a "pinker" L'eau de Serge Lutens. But overall, a waste of the name Dior.

tonelli's avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

smells like the tire department at sears

BetsyMeszaros's avatar

Especially Escada by Escada

This is going to be a very different review.

I'm not much for florals and definitely not much for fruity florals but I really like this one. It has to be my favorite rose perfume. Mostly I smell a great rose that isn't chemical with something else added -- my nose and scent experience aren't good enough to tell you what. When you first apply it, it reminds me somewhat of Ralph Lauren Romance without the powdery base (can't stand powder but I know others like it a lot).

It has many layers and keeps changing over time. At first it comes across like just another floral rose perfume and a little bit like shampoo but loses this almost at once and starts to evolve. One of the reasons I like it is its complexity. You think its simple and then as you wear it you find out that's not true. Every stage is really quite charming. It lasts a long time and has good silage on me. The bottle is beautiful and I even like the pink color which has a tinge of lavender about it and normally I abhor pink juice. This is probably one of my favorite florals.

Now for something strange.

The first time I wore this I picked my husband up from work. He asked me if someone had been smoking a cigar in the car. Absolutely not!!!!! Then when we got home he went in the bathroom where I had put on my perfume and smelled it again. He determined it was my perfume. He also said he loved the tobacco aspects of it. I don't get any tobacco in this at all and I certainly don't want to smell like a cigar so this troubles me a bit and I would be anxious to hear if others get the same thing my husband gets from this scent. Hopefully, he is the only one that gets this even though he says it is one of my nicer scents Now I really don't understand this comment from him. How can a cigar scent be one of his favorites of all my perfumes????????

Looking forward to reading other reviews.

dollars&scents's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent - Initially, one is treated to a brisk melange of bergamot, with its tart, citric dimension, rosemary, with its cooling, camphoraceous slant, and star anise, with its smoky licorice. This burst of freshness is fleeting, and the refreshing opening transitions rather quickly to the waiting middle. Here, in the herbal heart, a mixture of clean lavender imparts its soapiness, invigorating clove provides a slight smokiness, and crisp, geranium leaf bestows its lemony greeness. This barbershoppy concoction meanders to the awaiting base. A robust medley of earthy and musty patchouli, lemongrass-like greeness and clumped dirt from vetiver, as well as waxy and faintly smoky guiacwood commingle to present a sensual and somewhat dark drydown. This masculine composition has average projection, basically a skin-scent, and good longevity, 7-10 hours. Conjuring an illusion of shaving cream, this wonderfully original and unique scent should be had!

cinamaron's avatar

Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès

This started out as a bright blast of sweet orange, but it was a natural orange peel kind of scent, not chemical-y at all. As the day went on the orange was smoothed out with vanilla, and the sandalwood and cedar started to come out. It's a very warm, dense perfume that lasts all day. The woods make it more of a unisex fragrance- men or women could easily wear this.

I was walking out in the cold the day I tried this fragrance, and as I huddled into my scarf the perfume was very comforting! Definitely good for cold weather.

nucker's avatar

Jovan Ginseng NRG by Jovan

I haven't tried Jovan's White Musk, but I imagine that there are some similarities, since "white musk" is the main effect that I get from this frag. Makes good for good everyday wear. Something to put on when you just want to smell pleasant.

Vanilla & Ginger by L'Erbolario

I use to appreciate a lot the chord of ginger at vanilla in parfumery as the outcome use to turn out as a sort  of aromatic, cool and slightly prickly balm that is at once clean, averagely sharp, grassy and fresh. In this fragrance from L'Erbolario some starting citrus increase the cool, almost watery feel while some tobacco or tonka (i guess) add a touch of final dissonance. Some white and powdery woods are comprised in the blend. At the beginning the smell is cool, radiant and almost fluidy (the ginger is really prominent at this point) while in the time a touch a final warmth starts to exhale its fumes. Not bad at all.

18 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 19 January, 2012)

drseid's avatar

Avant Garde by Martine Micallef

I am not a big gourmand fan, but I like Avante Garde. I kind of liken it to a similar scent as a dark chocolate covered cherry. As I love dark chocolate covered cherries it is hard for me to dislike this scent. That said, it is a bit strange walking around smelling like one. It really does not smell exactly like one, but it is the closest descriptor i can think of. Maybe in a more romantic situation this might work, but as a general daily wear scent it is tough to pull this off. Longevity is quite good, but projection is only average. In the end I have to give Avant Garde a thumbs up and a "good" 3 out of 5 rating, but just understand what you are getting into before you buy as it will not be for everyone, and people who dislike gourmands may have issues wearing it. This should not be a blind buy, IMO.

18 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 26 December, 2012)

NillaGoon's avatar

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Wait... what?!

In the end, I'm left with a vague peppery feeling, not so much a smell as the prickly feeling that warns you that the grass you're lying on has recently been sprayed with insecticide.

Oproust's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Elegant, refined, absolute classic gentleman's fragrance. Traditional chypre. I'm reviewing the original formulation. CPM starts with a pleasant citrus opening followed by a "sweet" heart with cardamom and ginger most prominent to my nose. The base is a typical oakmoss, wood blend. All in all exquisite. Exudes class and sophistication. Longevity improves if sprayed on the chest under a tee shirt. This is the one I reach for along with Dunhill 1934 and Monsieur de Givenchy when I'm looking for a classic gentleman's fragrance. This will always be in my wardrobe, in addition to spread collar white shirts, a charcoal wool suite and black dress shoes. Great work fragrance, although I wear it anytime, even when I'm wearing jeans and a Nirvana tee shirt. What the heck, why not? Definitely doesn't smell like Teen Spirit. Highly recommended.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Cigar by Rémy Latour

Cedar is the knight from the get go with of this fragrance, with a strong tobacco leaf as its squire. A lot of spiciness, probably from the bay leaf, but I could swear there are some other spices in the mix. Very little citrus that makes an early exit and some sweetnes, maybe the fruit, maybe the amber, but Cedar and Tobacco leaf are the predominat notes.
    Very masculine, it has decent sillage and longevity. A winner in my book.