Fragrance Reviews from October 2012

Cuirelle by Ramon Monegal

Well this opens with a soft spicy light haze of honey and incense. I can smell the patchouli and the woods that have been lightly mixed in with the honey and incense. This is followed by cinnamon and it's starting to remind me of the icing on a fancy cake.

Also I know it's not listed but I swear I can smell violet in the mix.

To sum up a lovely soft spicy haze of sugary honey and incense with hints of what smells like violet. Nice!

Interlude Man by Amouage

On first application I'm picking up a slight bergamont and a overwhelming pungent smell of oregana.

This oregana smell's like a cross between a earthy warm kitchen spice and a pot plant. What's worse is that a dose of pepper has been added to give it a harsh edge.

Now lets call it a "kitchen spice accord" which I find very overwhelming and cloying. After a while it gets sweeter and a incense note starts to appear from the heart of the composition.

As time moves forward I can pick up leather with the incense note becoming more dominant.Though that earthy peppery "kitchen spice accord" is still there (no getting away from it.lol).

The fragrance is smoky and spicy in a balmy way which is starting to become more sweeter.

As we move into the basenotes I'm smelling a smoky incense with a slight sweet amber mixed in with the "kitchen spice accord" which has mellowed at this stage.

IN CONCLUSION

I'm not really liking this as the "kitchen spice accord" really overwhelms everthing else. And it smells like something that should be on a pizza or put into a curry. And its something I do not want to smell like.

If I was to sum up the frag it would be this:

" A earthy peppery kitchen spice and incense fragrance that is joined by amber to sweeten the harshness".

JackTwist's avatar

Pheromone for Men by Marilyn Miglin

To my nose this is a light green slightly spicey fougere that is pleasant but in no way distinguished or exceptional. Sillage is very light and it does not have longetivity.

I would not consider it to be an economical purchase with so many other affordable fougeres to choose from.

iivanita's avatar

Visa by Robert Piguet

for me perfect peach in a bottle!, not too sweet, not cloying, so well balanced rounded, and longevity is above my expectations!
    i am not big fan of fruity parfumes becasue they usually all smell the same, and chemical, but this one took me by surprise , without beeing syrupy or chemical it smells soft , warm and radiates all day long, i can not smell leather at all! whatever it is it gives it well balanced sweetnes,
    robert piguet offers great value for just a little more money...i just love it maybe more then fracas, becasue its not so loud :)

SusyQ's avatar

Sweden Sweden

L'Antimatière by LesNez

The first 25 minutes I get a waxy and kind of unspecified sweet pleasant smell. This phase starts the minute I apply the perfume, and even though the sillage is minimal the scent is VERY detectable when I sniff my wrist.

Then the perfume turns on me. The sillage increases 'til it's like a lions roar, even when I've applied just a drop on one of my wrists it's so loud I feel sick. The waxy sweetness turns into a stale sweetness, like unwashed hair of an old man. It's a real scrubber, unfortunately the scent is impossible to wash off. It lasts and lasts and lasts, the only time I've managed to NOT scrub it off after two hours, I could easily smell it for two days, despite 2 showers and several handwashes.

This clearly develops differently on different people. I wanted to like this, and that's why I try it on from time to time, hoping that I might have been wrong the last time I wore it.

My thumbs down has nothing to do with whether this is a high quality perfume or not - I'm to unexperienced to determine that. The red thumb is because this smells absolutely, horrifyingly disgusting on me.

kramer3321's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Pretty good fall/winter scent, smells very linear from top to drydown, projection and longevity are a BEAST (10hrs+ while projecting like a monster).

For clubbing/party type settings works really well since it's def the type of scent to invade other people's personal space (in a club this counts as a plus for me :P), also suitable for cold weather imo but other than that I cannot justify wearing this.

It's loud, VERY loud - def cut back on the sprays if u'll be wearing this in hot weather or daytime.

It's a scent that I dont think u should be wearing too much anytime you are supposed to take anything serious basically (school/work - big no nos unless u work at a stripclub of some sort).

Dates/night-outs/going to bars to pick up chicks - def a winner in my book.

Neutral rating coz it's become way too popular around where I live, u can smell it in most clubs around here and also quite a few of the "less mannered dudes" lets call them wear this by overspraying which kinda ruined this scent for me.

Overall if you dont mind having another million people wearing it and dont care that much about uniqueness this can be a very good scent.

Versilia Vintage - Ambra Mediterranea by Profumi del Forte

With Ambre Mediterranea I get a big dose of woods followed by the Ambre and then joined by a dose of Frankincense. After a while a citrus orange joins the mix but just slightly. As time goes by the ambre gets slightly sweeter but the woody presence is still strong. So for me the experience has been a interplay mainly of woods and ambre. It's very nice and smells good but I prefer Ambre 114 for my ambre fix.

In the Mood for Love Man by Gianfranco Ferré

I would almost agree with the former mentioned F Black connection, however, F Black is far more quality juice and unlike GF In the mood for Love Man, has some character.

GF In the mood for love doesn't bring me in the mood at all, definitely. It is a synthetic, cold yet sweet, spicy scent. Albeit it doesn't make me want to heave up, it really isn't anything I'd like to remember. I do believe that it'll find some love among the wider crowd.

odysseusm's avatar

Eau de Cologne by Chanel

Notes: petitgrain, neroli, bergamot, herbs, spices, musk, vetiver.
    I'm underwhelmed with this. Admittedly, it is in the EdC style which should simply be citrus and herbs with an anchoring base. Everything here is competent and pleasant, but in my opinion nothing is outstanding -- which I'd expect in the Exclusifs line.
    The scent starts with good orange blossom notes. It is round, smooth, and not as crisp or vibrant as some EdCs I've tried. A larger application yields some lemon notes, but they are not really prominent for me. The scent is still very round, and now there is a touch of wood from the petitgrain. The herbal and spice notes are very faint, perhaps rosemary is the only one I could even begin to distinguish. The dry down has a modest vetiver note, and reminds me of a paler version of Sycomore.
    So, as noted above, this is pleasant but does not distinguish itself from other and more pleasing EdCs at a lesser price.

Swanky's avatar

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

Yet another sub-Armani Code fragrance for the fellas. I also think it's better than much of Calvin Klein's current roster, but that isn't saying much. If you liked Code and Attitude but not their prices, this presents a more affordable alternative.

LongIslandLPN's avatar

HiM by Hanae Mori

When I heard Hanae Mori was debuting a new men's fragrence I was shaking in my boots with excitment! HM is such a staple and foundation in my collection that HiM had to be all that and better. I was at the mall and ran to Nordstroms so I could bathe myself in the sexy clean sultry freshness I have so come to expect from HM. I used the EDT sprayed on my wrists, and some on my clothes and was severly disapointed and wanted to run home and was it off. The opening did nothing for me no clean citrus/mandarin it was stale anf blank. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and really wanted to like it....but I just could not. It smelled to all cinnamon and violet but in the WORST way imaginable. It reminded me of an old man that just ate a huge stack of cinnamon pancakes and then smoked a ciggarete. Sorry but 10 years of work for this? Staying with a sure home run, compliment getter and classy fresh with HM the original.

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

Smells great! I Understand the comparisons to A-men but this is in a class of its own. Hard to imagine that people actually want to smell like that dirty tar crap in A-men, but hey to each's own. This is truly a gem; a diamond in the rough and I predict it will be in my collection for years. If you like gourmands, like compliments and love women, I say but this versatile scent!

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Indeed like a Classy Elegant soap. Very fresh and clean smell. I would wear this to work, church or a job interview. Very upscale. I blind bought it and its great for the purposes that I mentioned. Could be pulled off as a signature scent but I personally wouldn't.

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Smells great. Somewhat linear but for a great opening like this, I wouldn't complain. Great compliment getter. I wear this for any night out. It's not my signature scent but I would say its my "go-to". I u like my sweet smells, this is a must. Not gourmand sweet but it smells quality.

JackTwist's avatar

Chevalier d'Orsay by D'Orsay

A very nice dry, almost bitter (in a nice way) citrus, that does not develop on me.

I so wanted to like this - for the packaging and bottle alone - but it must take a back seat to my citrus of choice - Borsari's Acqua Classica.

Nefret's avatar

Orange Sanguine by Atelier Cologne

This is the fragrance that is closest to what you smell when you first start peeling an orange. Bright, delicious, and sweet, it does fade a bit after a quarter of an hour or so to a more relaxed, soft amber/sandalwood fragrance. You will get traces of it a few hours later, but not of the whole composition. I use it as pick-me-up for mornings, and once I use up my 1-oz bottle I have no doubt I will get a full-size.

Simple, unisex, and lovely.

Iceberg Twice Homme by Iceberg

"Iceberg Twice has a trick up it's sleeve. or rather a trick it wears on it's sleeve. It has a stellar opening that is bright and uplifiting. It fizzes with lemon zest and mint. A happy scent on the surface with a dirty underbelly. There are many comparisons to be made here and though not that original Iceberg Twice nestles rather comfortably into a family that has good heritage. On the surface there are similarities to YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentree and Rochas Moustache - both possessing a sweatiness up top, but the difference being with Iceberg twice is that first whiff! It is bright clean and mood enhancing. Iceberg Twice's nasent heart is reminiscent of Lapidus pour homme where thyme coupled with the Indolic jasmine make for a slightly scuzzy feel that is quite a contrast to it's opening. That said the transition from top to middle is quite natural and seamless. As it progresses the freshness fades and we are left with a warmth that is quite generic but not jarring or offensive. All the usual players are present and with the Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver combination the earthy quality remains to the last. The longevity of this scent is great and the sillage too." - I couldn't say it much better. Very underrated and will be in my collection for years to come. The note changes and the longevity are what won me over

Sniffmonkey's avatar

Eau de Santal by Floris

Too masculine for me to wear, but I love this on my boyfriend: a classic pairing of vanilla and lavender, a male version of Patou's classic feminine, Moment Supreme.

LongIslandLPN's avatar

Unbreakable Bond / Unbreakable by Khloé and Lamar

I recently bought this as a blind by at a department store because it was very cheap. I got the 1 ounce because I was not sure if i was going to like it. To be honest I never really tried wearing a unisex perfume before so I was intrigued. What's great about this smell is what could be bad about it also. It smells different on different people, yes all perfumes smell different on different peoples skin, but this one is more of a chameleone.

The opening to me is bit more on the masculine side - I smell some of the apple and some of the woods. After a few minutes on the skin you can smell the fruity floral sweetness. It smells divine! It is sweet, fresh, but a bit more floral than fruity which I enjoy. There is an after hint of the sweetness of the dark chocolate. I would not say that this scent smells cheap, but it certainly does not smell "expensive luxury" to me. It is great for casual wear. It is really in the middle with the sexes ergo the essence of unisex. It may seem slightly femminine to some and certainly more masculine to others. I think it is certainly worth a try!

rickysalsero's avatar

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Just purchased a bottle of the so much talked about juice from Amouage..When i first tried it got the fruity, incense, maybe some oud in there also, syrupy and heavy scent, i was like mmmmmmmm smells so good, after wearing it i felt it almost disapear in a matter of hours, so i was a little dissapointed initially.

Thw next time i wore this bad boy, noticed that even though it feels like its fading away its actually not, dont know how to describe this, but through the evening i went out to dinner with my wife and i kept gettign whifs of the fragrance as i was walking, sitting, talking and was feeling kinda good that i was smelling it around me,, going into 6 hours i walked in to a pizza shop to pick up a 6 pack and while i was paying 2 girls came running out from the back kitchen asking " who smelled so damn good" i kept quiet but they came up to me and told me " its you" ..lol i was like, i can see that..they told me how i dare walk in to a crowd of woman smelling so yummy,, i walked out with a smile, knowing that the money i had spent on this gem was well worth it,,,it made my day and possibly the strongest compliment i have recieved from a fragrance.. Thumps up for Jubilation xxv, just when you think it has no lasting power, people around you make you think otherwise

Possum-Pie's avatar

Nuits de NoHo by Bond No. 9

Vanilla, fruit, floral warm, a bit "hectic" in competition of notes, like many Bonds. Bond sent me a free sample of it, but this is too feminine and hectic for me...

Possum-Pie's avatar

Central Park West by Bond No. 9

Like nearly all Bond no 9 fragrances, they always manage to put ONE note in that is dissonant to my nose, I have only had to wash off a handful of samples I have ever tried out of hundreds, but I have washed off almost all of Bonds. There is a coconut scent here...not listed in the pyramid, a very very strong floral bomb, and this undertone note I can't identify but makes me nauseated. I give Bond a 2/10 b/c no matter what, they all have MONSTER projection, Sillage, and Longevity...Not a virtue here though.

splitinfinitive's avatar

India India

CH Men Sport by Carolina Herrera

Very different from other sport fragrances - very smooth, long-lasting, and did not change too much in character over the course of the day. Excellent!

SusyQ's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Calyx by Prescriptives

Since I really didn't find this smell appealing when tried on a paper strip, I've never bothered to try it on. Then; bored in a mall a few months ago, I sprayed some on. That too sweet fruity-floral character so prominent on the paper, turned into something somewhat green on my skin. I find it very nice: to my nose this is not a scent trying to smell "real"; it's very artificial but doesn't deny it. And what I really like is that this (on my skin) is one of the very few clean-smelling fragrances that doesn't smell like soap or light florals. It's just artificially fresh.

Encounter by Calvin Klein

Encounter? Ok. So, this is how I see "encounter". This is an encounter of two comprehensive school, soon to go to high school kids who are about to kiss for the first time. There's gonna be a lot of drooling and it's gonna be stupid but also exciting and fun...if you're a kid. If you're an adult - there'll be no such kind of encounters. So, dear CK, after "Obsession for men" and "CK One", maybe just maybe "Contradiction" and recent "Shock" too, you no longer have anything to give, but please do prove us all wrong. Please do so.

Luna Rossa by Prada

I was on a verge of rating this one neutral, but I won't. It's good. It's not great, but it's good, I have to admit this. No this not something original at all. In the initial blast it reminds me a lot of Fahrenheit Aqua, later on it gives off this vibe of reminiscence of some scent I smelled and liked before but I just can't deduce which one. Sweet, decent and a bit characterly cold. I wouldn't rush to own this one, I must say, however there is something about it that makes me smell my wrist from time to time and each time I do so, I'm on a verge of reconsidering and actually adding it to my collection. Insatiable as I am, despite that fact, it is not going to happen any time soon that I'll add it to my collection. I'm somehow missing this certain something in it that I think it should have, or at least inspire or trigger in me. As if it's so close to trigger certain emotions but lacks something to actually do it - it tickles emotions but doesn't completely stimulate them. What I do know is that one day I might consider it more seriously. All in all it has my respect and I give it a good thumb up!

Darvant's avatar

Londa 1005 by O'Driù

Londa 1005 is a wonderful musky-vetiver-tea green fragrance characterized by a plain presence of saltiness ( the distinctive feature of the fragrance- the wave, namely l'onda in italian indeed) and by the O'Driu's anisy-absinthe-laurel minty (piney) trademark accord. The beginning is breathtaking and contraddictory. The saltiness is soon detectable and is produced by a weird accord of sour lemon (citrus and lemongrass) and a sort of salty breeze creative note. The initial saltiness is spicy and slightly dirty, a really compelling, barely dissonant stark chord of salt, bitter herbs and pungent-mild spices as caraway and fizzy ginger plus a touch of smokiness. In the complex valzer of the top-middle notes i catch (in the stage's background) an hidden classic accord of bergamot, vetiver and lavender on the side of some coniferous resins that anchors the juice to the tradition despite its initial avant-garde sperimentalism. While the first long phase of the development is changeful and articulated (but since the beginning vetiver-absinthe accord centered in my opinion) i have to say that the following development morphs towards something lighter, smoother and more linear in its fluidy musky-vetiver-green tea aromatic cushion. The smoky touch is tenacious till the end imprinting hints of mystery on the side of the soft musk. A majestic vetiver masterwork from the O'Driu' olfactory "officina" in my opinion and a new favourite of mine among the day time office aromatic fragrances. Distinguished, conservative and natural till the end. Another bang from this new favorite brand of mine.

Hiroko Koshino by Hiroko Koshino

I tried wearing this in the summer heat, and it reeked of the noxious emissions of a heavily deforested industrial town. To my relief and surprise, autumn shows Hiroko Koshino is an unsung gem. The rare, actually scentless, fantasy camellia note's bitterish, waxy fruit-honey impression is almost quizzical, mixing strikingly with a wine-drenched rose. Every note listed here is detectable except for lotus, which is better off silent, as it's usually too damp and aquatic anyway.

Hiroko Koshino benefits from generous application; it has fair longevity and some noticeable sillage but borders on quiet for having so many heavy notes. The overall impression is the warmth of evergreen woods in the early morning after a night-long downpour. Freesia and tonka save the scent from heaviness, making this suitable for everyday wear. An impressive blend of difficult and exciting notes: tea, incense, oud, and guaiac wood made wearable and intriguing instead of trendy. If only more contemporary designer perfumes would take such risks.

Melancholic, though it's a thoughtful, bittersweet melancholy like the Portugese concept of suadade, untranslatable: "a deep emotional state of nostalgic longing for an absent something or someone that one loves." Hiroko Koshino is lean-a-little-closer quiet, graceful, romantic, but stark and contempo-modernist, moody, and a touch dramatic.

Pour Un Homme by Caron

Pour Un Homme de Caron is the fragrance I wear and enjoy most often and to most reliable satisfaction: something of a reliable uniform. It lends itself to lavish spritzes on linens before sleep, a spray on a scarf for comfort's sake before travel, or splashing on generously after a shower to transition from cleanliness to stimulation. I go through about .25 oz/week ever so gladly, as it's very reasonably-priced classic. And though I somehow prefer the older formula's staying power, the reformulation smells nearly identical.

This Caron lasts most of the day if sprayed 2-3 times but is more enjoyable if refreshed every few hours. The sillage is noticeable but soft and alluring, not demanding or try-hard. For a man this is fail-safe sensuous and familiar at once, and for a woman, just the same. Comparable scent Jicky's civet and powder is better suited to exhibitionistic occasions than this more versatile scent (though current Jicky is so light as to encroach on PUH's territory). Pour Un Homme, Femme, both, neither: wear it to experience lavender as a natural magic: of sparkling solidity and shifting light; a geode. Tonka-vanilla and musk are allowed each their own space and freedom to become colors, textures, feelings, ever-sharpened ideas instead of the white noise they're reduced to in most other scents. A doughy-rich amber shows up frequently on repeat wearings while a camphorous mint makes a very occasional appearance before drydown. Cold/warm contrasts edge out too much focus on sweetness, though the ice cream feeling mentioned in other reviews is evident just before the warmer drydown.

This is the meaning of the word elegance: simplicity, though not simple. Pour Un Homme is perfume's answer to Ezra Pound's "In A Station of the Metro" in form, function, near-perfection while dismissing the need for perfection, in being so direct, so alive.

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

Thumbs up for a small vintage Cinnabar perfume--a very dark juice that smells like a smiling (American) version of original Opium.

Thumbs down: I found a just-before-the-most-recent reformulation of the edp on a dusty bottom shelf of an Ulta in the middle of nowhere and excitedly tested out the still oakmoss-laden classic hoping to score a large bottle to use with abandon. While the original radiated warmth and depth and a deceptively wholesome sensuality, this formulation came on with no subtlety. The top notes: a cacophany of citrus and citronella. The drydown grew stronger by the hour somehow, wilting into Christmas potpourri. I believe synthetic sandalwood was mixed with the still real oakmoss extract to dissonant effect. Or perhaps the known enforced reduction of oakmoss content created an imbalance in the formula? At any rate a jarring asymmetry made this Cinnabar unrecognizable.

The neutral: the newest formulation with more synthetics is in fact more cohesive and post-drydown is recognizably some kind of take on the original Cinnabar, but best of all vintage Cinnabar remains a retro-70s comfort scent for a siren; this penultimate formulation, though, needs an ambulance and is better left unsought. In any incarnation, this is remarkably long-lasting (all day), large (fill a room), fire and spice, and ideally for cold weather and dramatic personalities. A diva doing fondue at a ski lodge.