Fragrance Reviews from November 2012

My_pep_pep's avatar

Private Collection - Querelle by Parfumerie Generale

Well, I like this, but it's a near thing. It comes very close to being too sour or scratchy and dry for me to enjoy. I'm not completely sure what saves it.

It goes on kind of harsh, almost like a chemical smell. But it softens and warms up, and the spices come out a bit. There is something almost salty about it. Most of the fragrances I really enjoy have some kind of sweetness in them, but there is nothing sweet about this. It makes me think of rye bread, or is that just the power of suggestion of the caraway listed in the notes?

After a while it lightens up a lot, and becomes this dry, grassy, somewhat airy scent that I enjoy. I wouldn't call it soapy or even clean, really. Maybe a little metallic, though? I don't even know how to describe this. It's like someone took a traditional men's fragrance and made it sort of abstract. It could almost pass for normal until you pay closer attention.

odysseusm's avatar

Multiple Rouge by Humiecki & Graef

Ozone!!!
    Fruit loops!!!
    Frosty spice!!!
    Gee, lets sing along with Justin Bieber as we skip down the lane...
    Wretched stuff.

Idole de Lubin by Lubin

Interesting, complex and surprising. I read it as hyper-masculine, maybe because of the leather-alcohol punch that opens it. In the next stage it rounds up nicely, spicy and sweet. The smoky, tobacco notes emphasis the masculine note. Hard to put my finger on it why, but it reminds me of the 70s, more in spirit than how actually masculine fragrances smelt like – this is how we could imagine the 70s from the 2010s.
    And I must add how much I love the bottle - a classic design!

Sillyage's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Roberto Cavalli Black by Roberto Cavalli

I really like this one! This is a great for a party or in the evening (especially in the winter or autumn) If you like a spicy, peppery special scent, this is the winning ticket.

Longivity and projection are very good, thats a big plus for me because mostly fragrances last for like 5 hours max on my skin.

Ill give it an 8!

Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules

I tried and I tried... then I asked a friend and he tried, too. Nothing. Can't smell anything anywhere. It does amplifies other fragrances and after experimenting with a few samples, one gets some interesting layered combinations. Although it doesn't work with everything. I guess it might work on some other people who are able to smell the actual molecule in the solution - maybe somebody with a better nose or somebody younger.

Red Theodora's avatar

Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange

Well, to begin with, this fragrance called Rien ( which of course means "nothing" in french) is as far from nothing as it's possible to get. Firstly, because it should be used sparingly to avoid the wrath of the fragrance sensitive. Secondly, because next to Mitsouko and Chanel's Cuir de Russie, this is one of the most beautiful scents I have ever worn. At the moment I have only a sample bottle, but I forsee a full-sized bottle in my future!

JackTwist's avatar

Cuba Green by Cuba Paris

This is a derivative fragrance from the nineties. It is dry and woody, reedy actually, and reminds one of the far more expensive Penhaligon's Artemesia.

Cuba's imitations of so many best selling men's scents manufactured in the US cover a great range and since they are so inexpensive ($2-4 per bottle), they do fit a niche in that one can enjoy inexpensively a scent one is enamored of in higher priced product lines.

This is the fifth Cuba I've tried. I love the RED (tobacco), but am not a fan of BLUE (oceanic), ORANGE (sweet floral), or Grey (vile and metallic.) Nor am I of this GREEN.

However, they do serve a purpose, are well made and inexpensive.

Kaern's avatar

Castaña by Cloon Keen Atelier

Creamy - almost gourmand opening, like Bois Farine. There is tonka everywhere. Lush finish of vetiver, tonka and woods. The floral heart is discreet and works well. Great price point and puts other more expensive fragrances to shame. A lovely wear.

Kaern's avatar

Private Collection - Bois de Copaïba by Parfumerie Generale

I think the PG is correct. This smells like L'Heure Bleu with benzoin and myrrh added. I don't get much leather at all. It has a rich, resinous , dense fruity smell that PG has used before to such good effect with Louanges. Distinctive, classy and lasts well.

OCNBreeze7's avatar

Unltd The Exhibit by Marc Ecko

Marc Ecko, The Exhibit, is a great scent, but falls short of longevity expectations..

The Exhibit is a clean and fresh fragrance with citrus base notes. Following the initial application, the essence smoothes out into an easygoing fragrance, not overbearing, but pleasant to the nose where notes of the citrus, melon, and vetiver (almost powdery) can be detected.

Marc Ecko has produced a fragrance that is not new, very similar to Clinique Happy for Men. I have had better longevity out of Clinique, but it could be my body chemistry.

My reviews generally consider the following areas: price/value, appeal/smell, "wow factor" (compliments), longevity, uniqueness, best time of year worn or occasion, and easy on the nose (and bottle on the eyes).

The success of Exhibit is the scent and it’s appeal. The price is moderately set, some more expensive and some (maybe more) are less. The packaging and design of the bottle (appearance) are unremarkable. I am, however, very fond of the bottle design – simple, but kind of cool…

The only favorable comments were those that were solicited. Sweetie has commented she likes the fragrance, but is should be noted that it was just following the initial application. Given the citrus(y) base notes of the fragrance, Exhibit is probably a Spring or Summer fragrance, although I would have no problem wearing anytime of year or for any occasion (be comfortable in your own skin, right..??).

My only real concern with the fragrance is the longevity. Of all the measures in my review(s), I am most critical of this element. I am especially fond of applying a moderate amount of any fragrance in the morning prior to work and it lasting the day without reapplying. With Exhibit, I am getting about 3-4 hours where the fragrance is still detectable on my shirtsleeve. I was probably getting about twice that performance with Clinique Happy. But – your body chemistry and life style may be different than mine –you guys know I am a manager with a desk job..!!

My final evaluation for Marc Ecko’s The Exhibit is 4.2 stars, out of 5. If you can pick it up under $30.00, definitely add it to your collection. Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today…

Unforgivable by Sean John

This one is alright. Citrus melon scent which everyone says it smells like Creed's MI. It does up to a point. Unforgivable is much more synthetic. Overall, a good alternative to MI. Geared towards a younger crowd. Not bad at all.

Style In Play by Lacoste

Did not like this one. A little too strong. Very cloying. More geared towards a younger crowd. Probably ok in a club. Gave this one away.

Sartorial by Penhaligon's

Sartorial is Bertrand Duchaufour's fragrant recreation of the smells, the feel and ambiance of an old world mens tailor haberdashery. You smell the bolts of many varieties of finely woven fabric, the shoe leather polished to a dull shine, and wafts of old world fougere cologne coming from workers of the establishment. The combination of differences makes this a truly international establishment. I like it.

The opening scent is an amberish fougere with a characteristic lavender/coumarin/oakmoss effect that warms you all over. Could be boring, but shortly after, in 10 minutes or so, the scent is taken over by a bold sauté of incense spiced woods (ginger, black pepper, oud wood, cedar, gurgham) and this multinational middle tone is stabilized with warm leather tones.

Sartorial is a successful combination of 3 old world disciplines in fragrance styles: fougere + incense + oriental leather. If Sartorial had continued down the same old fougere path I would not have liked the result. However, the combination of seemingly different fragrance pathways has created a woven tapestry that is as good as the name "sartorial." Possibly a new world masterpiece.

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

I had to find out what’s all the hype about this, so I managed to get a sample of the stuff from ebay. Setting aside all the marketing and the fandom, the fragrance is interesting. Also, long lasting, complex and definitely unusual. But is it good? I guess if I was younger and wanted to be (smell) really different, I would swear by it. Kind of how Goths or Emos should smell like. Or Hippies – ageing, nostalgic Hippies who have lots of money.
    It covers a whole range of smokiness, from incense to marijuana. Starts quite sweet, but becomes much cleaner and fresher towards the end. Well executed in all stages, but still can’t really convince myself that it is pleasant. It fits in with some of the fragrances from L’Etat Libre d’Orange as it aims more towards being different than pleasant. And just like that range, it is also somewhat contrived, pretentious and pointless. Or I am just too old to get it.

barclaydetolly's avatar

Eau de Cologne by Chanel

Luca Turin called this the definitive Eau de Cologne. Though I disagree with most of his reviews, for once I think he may be spot on. This is a fantastic citrusy, neroli-style, similar-to-4711-but-better scent. I'm liking it more than Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino right now, which is really saying something. I'm not finding logevity to be very good, however (a common problem with citrus scents), and that may prevent me from buying a full bottle. But it smells so good, I fear I may take the plunge.

alfarom's avatar

Tomato Leaf by Illuminum

Terrifying. A synthetic musk concoction with marine nouances, a bilge like note probably provided by the seaweed and some generic "cosmetic-smell-like" florals. Overly sweet and just gross. Carrot seeds? Yes, a lot of but very poorly blended, unbalanced and of the worst quality.

leto's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is a great animalic musk with slight floral undertones. I can't get the "men's crotch" or "butthole" connotations, this is a very good fragrance slightly reminiscent of Shalimar.

Elixir by Penhaligon's

Elixir is a spicey mentholated brew of woods, spices, and aromatic elements. I am sure that Olivia Giacobetti intended the mix to be deep and healing and the eucalyptus gives it a penetrating quality that I really enjoy. If you had a head cold or were starting to feel under the weather this mix would smell good inhaled in a steam bath. There is a Marakech type of spice blend mixed into incensed woods plus a little sweetness. I like almost everything about the fragrance except for the pace of the fragrance development. When first applied it is almost searing in hotness, then it is great smelling for a moment and then it withers down to a hint of itself. Giacobetti is well known for her transparent style of perfumery, but unfortunately transparency with Elixir's bold ingredients is a clash of intentions transparency becomes impotency. I love the scent but don't like the unevenness of scent silage and distribution. Rate Elixir as 2.5 stars out of 5.

iivanita's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Forever and Ever by Christian Dior

rarely good scent for great price, it was so lovely, but discontinued, geranium gave it extra kick i liked so much, very floral , but not overly sweet,

it was longlasting scent, and femminine, and smelled so natural, when i finished my bottle i wanted to have more!! this rarely happens to me, sadly it was just limited edition!!

Dante10's avatar

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

I love this cologne, you absolutely can not hate the opening of this fragrance no matter how hard you try. The citrus in the opening is so refreshing, after a while it eventually dries down to this almost powdery esque citrus and woods. I think people are being unfair sure this is somewhat generic, but I find the quality and overall smell to make up for it's lack of uniqueness.

A*Men: Les Parfums de Cuir / Pure Leather by Thierry Mugler

This definitely has the original A Men DNA. Don't believe the hype with people saying it doesn't. The tar note is not as strong with Pure Leather. After about a half hour, the leather (Similar to shoe leather) note kicks in. The base notes smell similar to A Men. I would recommend this one for Fall or Winter use (Maybe a cool Spring evening).You will kill people in the Summer with this one. You have been warned!

Overall, this is nice frag, but because it smells so much like the Original A Men, I will rate it neutral.

BTW: The original A Men is a Masterpiece! (Tar, or no tar).

Darvant's avatar

Aqua Velva Ice Blue by Williams

A refreshing, aromatic, masculine, mentholated piece of the past. A sporty blend of green/aromatic elements, woods, amber and fruits with a touch of sea breeze. Dynamic and virile. A not bad on a budget choice.

starshipvelcro's avatar

New York Oud by Bond No. 9

Say what you will about Bond, but I personally think they have a few worthy fragrances. This is the kind of thing that screws with my rational head, does it justify it's price tag (not really), do you agree with the business's practices (certainly not) ect... it's a natural reaction to take these into account. I'm going against my better judgement and ignoring that.

This fragrance pleases me.

It's a simple thing really, it just hits that spot. It's a better version of Montale's Black Aoud. Where that left me hanging waiting for the rest of the composition, this finished it off with a fruity plum note and a little more sweetness. It still has that sharp somewhat screechy faux-oud (hey Montale!) but it's not just left there with only some rose to liven up the party.

It's worth checking out, even if 90% of the Bond line isn't.

English Fern by Penhaligon's

Smells green and fernlike but with much less lavender than I expected. I know there is clover but I think I smell a slight scent of wintergreen oil in the greens at first; however, this might be the geranium - the non rose type geranium - as it combines with clover. There is really much more green in the mix here than what little token traditional fougere elements I detect. English Fern is a dry green, "stiff upper lip" fougere that I like much more than many of the sweeter french fougeres from Guerlain or Houbigant. There is a simple, fresh, solid green scent to this that tells you it is British all the way - very little powder or floral lavender. English Fern smells great for about 3 hours, but I regret that the longer it dries down the more synthetically unnatural the green base becomes. I'd give it 2 of 5 stars**.

01st November, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 November, 2012)

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I have to say I was impressed with this one. One of the more preferred men's D&G frags. Pepper and cinnamon with a tobacco twist (Very little tobacco). Received quite a few compliments with this one. Definitely one you would want to have in your arsenal. This one will get attention. Don't go heavy on the sprayer.

01st November, 2012 (Last Edited: 19 November, 2012)

noirdrakkar's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Opens with a leathery bergamot punch likenable to fahrenheit and a sweet spiciness very similar to spicebomb. Has the tea note, making it similar to scents like bulgari black. By far the best gucci release and highly recommended.

Longevity is spotty, some days I've gotten 2 hours and other I've gotten 8.

01st November, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 January, 2013)

Original Santal by Creed

OS is an alright frag. Starts out with a lot of spice (the cinnamon and Ginger). Good for the clubs. Would not recommend for work. Projection and longevity are average. They should have named this one Sandalwood Supreme. If you can get if for a good bargain, go for it.

01st November, 2012 (Last Edited: 28 March, 2013)

rbaker's avatar

Wild Bluebell by Jo Malone

Odysseusm describes it well; on my skin the sweetish melon entrée is pleasant and after about twenty minutes gives way to the bluebell and the lily of the valley; he latter being more discreet and a touch fresher than it's Penhaligon's namesake. In the drydown a gentle amber an rose shows up. Overall very nice, never sweet after the top note and never cloying. the fragrance is close to my skin, with poor projection and silage, as usual for Jo Malone, but excellent for the office and for layering.

rbaker's avatar

French Lime Blossom by Jo Malone

The lime blossom takes the foreground straight away, and being the blossom there is no actual citrus scent in it. I get the discretely-flowery note mixed with the bergamot but with little tarragon on me. There is a quiet freshness with adequate depth and substance. As in most of Jo Malone's fragrances, it is close to my skin, with poor projection and silage, and more designed for layering. A good longevity of about four hours.

elmatador75's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Great fragrance that I was thrilled about initially. Has it been reformulated? It is not as stringent on my nostrils anymore. I used to find a high, sharp citrus note cloying. Not any longer. And it has been discontinued. Start buying up what is left.