Fragrance Reviews from February 2012

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Amazing. They don't make them like this anymore, especially not Gucci.

sweet/spicy woody, but overall very thick and smooth. Settles over you like a dark skin. Excellent for formal/evening occasions. Bottle also makes for excellent murder weapon.

It's a shame this is discontinued. Stock up while you can.

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

A fresh and light scent, does remind one of light, sweet tea (but not milky tea).

Starts off like kahva (a sweet black tea with ginger/mint/cardamom, which i see listed in the notes), spices emerge roughly half hour in, holds steady for a few hours before fading.

Supremely cool and sophisticated, works best in spring/summer and in the daytime. Doesn't last into the evening but long enough to make it worth it.

killerloop's avatar

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Absolutely gorgeous! Less is more on this one, as with most Vetiver fragrances I have tried. This is on my wish list!

odysseusm's avatar

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama

Here's a citrus-aquatic that I can endorse. It is fresh and breezy, but it does not have tiresome or screechy synthetic notes.
    The bottle is blue, the juice is clear.
    It starts with some pretty good citrus notes, suggesting peel and juice. Good green notes, perhaps a combo of tequila and other greens, add a nice herbal touch. The scent is pleasing, certainly nothing here to offend anyone. I'm not a fan of aquatics at all, but I like this one. The dry-down has a salty-herbal-soft musk chord. Would be a good summer evening scent on a tropical beach somewhere, sipping Pina Coladas...

Mistertaz's avatar

Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

Viktor & Rolf present their new fragrance for 2012... BubblegumBomb!

I passed through a department store today and sprayed some on my hand... It instantly smelled like Hubba Hubba Bubblegum! A fruity citrus (but NOT sharp or refreshing) mixed with cinnamon (flavouring) and sugar. Perhaps there is the slightest hint of tobacco in the base, but that might be my imagination.

All up... on my skin and to my nose... it just smells like bubblegum and would be more appropriately launched by Comme De Garcons and called Candy Series 9: Cinnamon bubblegum. Not for me... but maybe others will enjoy it, and I think it could be quite wearable by a woman (who's 14 and listens to Britney Spears... but then she'd just be chewing bubblegum and smell like it anyway).

NB: I have a very average nose, so please take my brief impression of Spicebomb with a "pinch of salt".

misterjohn's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

What a delight. In my quest to find the perfect fragrance, L'Eau d'Issey has been getting a lot of looks in the rotation. Today was cold and overcast here in northern California, but wearing this fragrance is like an instant sunny day.

It starts out like an aquatic with the usual citrus notes. But wait, smell again, there's more going on here. The citrus is not the usual lemon dish detergent scent, it is yuzu with nutmeg and other spices underneath. It's complex, maybe even with a hint of something darker to come.

Now come back to it 30 minutes later. Something has changed. The sharpness of the yuzu has faded. It's still there, but its solo is over. Now it is one instrument in the ensemble. And its joined by some new voices. Those lower notes in the background? They're clearer now--vetiver and sandalwood and cinnamon.Now it barely resembles an aquatic. The yuzu is still there, but the woods have taken the lead, but the harmonies are rich with the addition of the spices.

Come back even later. Things have changed again. Those darker notes are now at the fore. There's a new richness, almost an animal quality to the scent. Sure, the yuzu is still playing a role, but now musk and amber (?) are in the mix, complementing the vetiver and cinnamon.

The closest analogy I can think of is a fine chardonnay. The good ones are not simply lemon and oak bombs. The lemon forms a harmony with butter and oak, the notes change as the wine combines with the air around it. There are rich bottom notes as well.

Yes. It's that good. Soaring, sophisticated, changing, and subtle. It's also different. Despite its popularity, I can think of few imitators. It's a unique scent (even if it is worn by lots of other people). Maybe this one is the ONE. Only time will tell, but it's definitely a strong thumbs up.

yoshimittsu's avatar

Santos Concentrée by Cartier

Not even a single compliment. PASHA BETTER WAY BETTER>

yoshimittsu's avatar

Pasha by Cartier

THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST CARTIER COLOGNE.... PERIOD.

SMELLS SO GOOD ONCE IT SETTLES AFTER FEW HOURS.

100% Love by S-Perfume

The first 3..5 wearings are the most interesting ones. Eventually I got used to the rancid smell that draw interest in the first place. Like cheese or smelly feet. Now as I'm more trained to separate 'notes' I don't experience this effect any more. The fragrance got its place in the archive.
    Chocolate and rose and woods and incense in a dry blend that decidedly is pleasing, if not sexy. I would love to smell it on a woman. It's youthful, joyful. Once I smell it unexpectedly I will be slap happy.

S-Perfume Jet Scent Remix 2.0 by S-Perfume

This idea isn't that new. Jovan had Musk For Man and the like ages before. While the Jovan appears to be a bit edgy today, the S-perfume is smooth, easy going. No offenses to be expected, a very tame perfume, which by my experience wouldn't be noticed from a distance.

Green Water by Jacques Fath

A great refreshing green/musky scent. Not too rich, just right. It doesn't pretend to be a bold luxury product, it is, comparable to a light grassy Chablis. The drydown is soft and remains multifaceted.

dollars&scents's avatar

Rock Crystal by Olivier Durbano

Rock Crystal by Olivier Durbano - One is treated initially to the lovely, citric sweetness of orange blossom floating on a cloud of spices, forged from lively and somewhat woody pepper, earthy and nutty coriander, sweet cardamom as well as cumin with its anise and hidrotic facets. Segueing to the alluring middle, a rapturous, somewhat muted frankincense, reminiscent of a emptied church following the celebration of a High Mass, and the vanillic smokiness of benzoin create an ethereal accord. Cistus with its leathery and menthol aspects as well as the mustiness of myrrh temper the mystical blend. Transitioning to the robust base, the green earthiness of vetiver, slightly bitter immortelle, dry cedar, boggy patchouli, warm musk, milky sandalwood and foresty oakmoss, all combine to conjure a cavernous illusion. A comforting drydown ensues. This sublime, masculine composition has average projection and longevity.

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

A long time ago i got the cologne hermes travel pack, 15ml each of Orange Verte, Pamplemousse Rose and Gentian Blanche. it was the first i'd heard of hermes and with summer just around i thought might as well try something 'expensive' for a change.

Loved all three, and when they ran out got the Concentre (which i thought too bitter at first but it grew on me) as a full bottle. Incredibly fresh bitter-green orange/mint scent, stings a little as one reviewer says, but by far my favourite cologne in this category. Chose it over the original EdOV simply because of the longevity on this one (get 6ish hours out of this on a hot day, drydown included)

Great for everyday wear, a simple, natural, raw citrus.

redrose's avatar

Rose Barbare by Guerlain

Yes, this is a pretty rose chypre which, if you like rose and don't already have a similar scent in your wardrobe, is worth investigating. As others have noted, however, it's quite similar to Gucci's L'Arte and Nahema.
    The rose opens clearly and continues to sing as the chypre base develops, along with some curious peachy-honey notes which are becoming very popular as bases these days, probably with the restrictions on oak moss.
    Nothing remotely barbaric here, and the perfume it most resembles in my view is the late-lamented vintage Femme by Rochas. If you liked that scent, and are disappointed with the current reformulation, give Rose Barbare a try - it might be just what you're looking for.
    I already own quite a few rose chypres, and don't find this version outstanding enough to add to my collection, but it's pleasant and well made, so a thumbs up.

inlandemperor's avatar

Jaguar (original) by Jaguar

This is a wonderful scent. Bold, and GREEN! I have read some posts from fellow Basenoters, who seem to prefer the old formulation to the new one, as the top notes in the new formulation are slightly harsher. Whilst I have not smelt the original, I bought this today - after wanting to smell it for a long time. My Uncle used to have a bottle in his bathroom and I remember the smell - cedar, tangerine and GREEN almost pine notes. Strong as an Ox in it's sticking power - it's a powerhouse with all the 80's hallmarks, but it does have a tendency to almost want to bridge the gap between, something like Quorum and Pino Silvestre - both of which I love. It's not as sweet as Pino, and it's longevity and silage are good. It's clean smelling, but not soapy, as the spicier heart chord does just enough to keep the notes all tied together, and it's skin drydown is, for me, fresh as wet grass! This is PERFECT for me after a shower, post workout (I do martial arts) - and I come out feeling alive! Thumbs up!

The_Cologneist's avatar

Jordan by Michael by Michael Jordan

Almost the same as Chrome. I'll be biased on this one, since I despise Chrome, this one is just as bad, if not worst. Very unbalanced, synthetic, metallic, and poorly crafted.

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

This is the first fragrance I've bought multiple bottles of just in case it disappears or is changed. I don't have the skills yet to identify the various layers, I only know that there are two very special experiences each time I wear it. Fisrt, the initial spray, as it settles onto my chest, transports me to some blissful, comfortable state for about 3 minutes. But, better still, is the next day when I smell it on the shirt I was wearing! How can something smell,"warm"?

Swiss Army by Swiss Army

Ironically, I bought this because I wanted something, "different"! The wood scent on the test strip caught my attention and kept it for a week so I went back and bought it. There are times, I guess, when one needs a home base to return to after exploring the jungle of "amazing," "unique," and, "unforgettable." Swiss Army is none of those things but it IS a good quality workday fragrance that still gets compliments from total strangers.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Every man should work their way through at least one bottle of Kouros in their lifetime! Like some monumental historical event, I remember exactly when and where I first smelled this olfactory wonder; 1983 on the Big Island of Hawaii. If there ever was, attitude," in a bottle, Kouros is it!

I don't understand the negative adjectives like sweat, body odor, urine, feces, and unkept, "gas station restroom," that others have used for this. I have smelled all of those things in my lifetime and don't see how they figure with Kouros. What I smell is the nonchalant confidence that only twenty-somethings can truly get away with but that the rest of us reminisce about and try to reinstate by wearing IZOD ties - and, well, Kouros.

tom_julio's avatar

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I gave this fragrance a neutral rating simply because I dont know if I like it or not. My initial reaction was baby powder but as this dries down it becomes more tolerable. Good longevity too

ladymurasaki's avatar

Balenciaga Paris by Balenciaga

It's headache-inducing to me. It just smells and feels old-fashion - in a bad way.

Darvant's avatar

Silver Shadow Private by Davidoff

In the middle between Joop Nightflight, Chanel Bleu, a whatever Nivea shower foam and Le Male, all with a dominant detergent and soapy final vibe. I smell effectively some resemblances with Armani Night. I  feel the dark cardamom, some watery fruits, orange, a notable violet leaves presence and musky lavender. Pleasant but not so original. A disappointment.

Darvant's avatar

Lyric Man by Amouage

Lyric Man is absolutely unique, a dark, surrealistic and opaque effluvium with burning oils, candels, incense, musky roses, hesperidic lotions and balsams that convey your mind straight inside a cozy and secret dodgy salon of extrathunderstorm relax, somnolence, red lamps, dark bacchanals and black widows. Mystic and chill out. A soapy, obscure spicy potion with a pure Queen Rose tenacious for centuries. Extra lush and velvety suede.

01st February, 2012 (Last Edited: 09 November, 2013)

SMCinJPN's avatar

Samouraï by Alain Delon

A fresh soft aquatic. Very easy to where, almost anywhere. Very popular here in Japan. I see it for sale all over the place. I'm willing to pick up a larger bottle at the right price.

NillaGoon's avatar

Silver Cologne by Amouage

This is an austere, punitive little fougere with a plummy, slightly powdery wax-candle base. Although neither lavender nor tonka is listed in the official pyramid, I think you'll recognize the basic accord as being common to many no-name drugstore men's fragrances.

The whole project seems designed to demonstrate -- as if settling a bet -- that even the most ordinary and humble structure can be ennobled with the high-ticket Amouage treatment. And I suppose it works; Silver Cologne is more nuanced and more interesting than the average drugstore fougere. But the sophistication mostly comes across as petulance. The juice's relentless glumness ensures that it will never be mistaken for a fun, lighthearted cologne.

Fortunately, you won't have time to sink into a state of depression, since the active state only lasts a couple of hours. The drydown is a muted skin scent, vaguely sweet and pastry-like.

If you meet Evelyne Boulanger at a Paris soiree and want to make a good impression, don't say, "I loved Amouage Silver Cologne!" Just say, "You were right all along."

ellemartini's avatar

Boyfriend by Boyfriend

The first impression was of vanilla. This is not the sharp vanilla that is usually pair with a strong floral but of the vanilla in baking, of vanilla and spices. The scent reminds me of homecoming for Thanksgiving during my freshman year at college. It brings to mind pumpkin pies, spiced apple cider and autumn. I can see my mother's thanksgiving dinner in various stages of preparation, I can smell the spices of the side dishes and several kinds of pies, and all of these mingled with potpourri. I sense the comfort of familiarity, of pajamas and slippers and of general 'comfy-ness' of home after a long while away.

I was sniffing my wrist all day since first rolling this on in the morning. I tend to romanticize nostalgia so in that sense, this fragrance was a success. I would not call this scent sexy or manly, in fact, it does not remind me of boyfriends. It reminds me of thanksgiving. Once it a while it's nice but I wouldn't wear this everyday. I definitely would not wear this if I didn't have an affinity for vanilla and spices.

Narguile's avatar

Diane by Diane von Furstenberg

I really wanted to like this, but it smells like a chemically base on me - with an odd musty tone. Very dissappointing.

s m clark's avatar

Yardley Musk for Men by Yardley

I used this musk for several years in the 1980's and it was my favorite. It wasn't overwhelming but had a perfect balance of earthy spice and clean sweetness. Everywhere I went, people would say, "What is that smell? You smell terrific!" It was the perfect match for me. I can't find it anywhere and would dearly love to find it or something that approximated it. Does anyone know if any Yardly musk for men still can be found or if there is something that Yardley or anyone else puts out that is similar?

sodastream's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

One of my favourite fall/winter scents. The opening is pretty much spice, cinnamon is the big stand out to me. Then it mellows out into a more pine like scent while still retaining that intial spiciness. Some have reviewed it as "Christmas in a bottle". I would tend to agree with them.

Only downside is longevity. This begins to sit very close to the skin after 4 hours for me. Having said that, it isn't an overly pricey fragrance. I will aim to have this in my regular cold weather fragrance rotation.

CaliDude's avatar

Himalaya by Creed

Thumbs up, way up. Nice classy fresh fragrance. Four sprays lasts me about 10 hours. Like all Creeds, it's expensive; but you can find a 4 oz selling on the internet for around $140. IMO, it's well worth it.