Fragrance Reviews from February 2012

autumngleeman's avatar

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

I understand that this is not an aquatic, but the very synthetic nature of the composition (because of the long lasting citrus I think) makes the overall effect smell like one, like a kenzo creation or some bulgari aqua flanker. That same sharp cloying effect you find in aquatics is here with that blunt and brutal use of citrus. The vetiver isn't exactly earthy or grassy either, but with the synthetic foreground it's hard for me to isolate properly for scrutiny. With respect to the better and more experienced noses here reviewing this, I hereby proclaim that this vetiver...sucks. In fact, I don't see how anyone else could really consider this a proper vetiver. It's strikes me as pseudo-vetiver in the same category as Creed Original Vetiver (but of course very different), BUT without the substitute/redeeming qualities that OV offers in exchange for being atypical.

09th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 16th February, 2012)

Santal 33 by Le Labo

Love it! I was ready for another prentetious (and disappointing) release from the guys at LeLabo but Santal 33 is just amazing.

Opens with a transparent and very dry cardamom note joined by cedar and a light violet. Papyrus and iris follow right away adding a slightly green, sort of wet, note that's just perfect and preserves the fragrance from being too overpowering or too loud. In this phase Santal 33 introduces a moderatley sweet, subtle yet remarkable, fig/coconut accord that enhances the creamy undertones throughout while a nutty-woody sandalwood make its appearance to drive the fragrance towards the spicy-woody-ambery drydown.

Personally I wouldn't classify this as a sandalwood prominent composition and while the main note is surely remarkable, the fragrance is so well blended and orchestrated to leave enough space to all the other elements to properly shine and play their roles.

While being definitely different, Santal 33 made me somehow think about Papyrus De Ciane, Jardins De Kerylos and Calamus (expecially just right after the opening). It doesn't exactly shares many similarities with the aforementioned fragrances but the papyrus note is not very distant from the transparent interpretation thant Guillame delivered in PDC while the fig/coconut accord is just as refined and sophisticated as the one in Jardins De Kerylos (even if definitely toned down in the LeLabo). Last but not least, I experience the same slight wet/green, sort of cardboard-like, vibe that I much enjoy in Calamus. Original, sophisticated and if moderately applied, very easy to wear.

A big winner.

09th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th February, 2012)

gs02 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

What I get from this is sweet and cold, wet leather with plum and peach notes. The sweetness becomes less after a while but still it's quite an intense and if you like it, sexy fragrance. One for a night out, when you're feeling naughty. Can be worn by women and young men imo and it's quite unique.

09th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 26th February, 2012)

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

The best form Gaultier's fragrances ( in my opinion) .This EDP smells quite strong , I would not say this is unisex , it's more manly .
    It smells of amber , caramel , vanilia , musk ... with a waxy touch similar to that in Terre d'Hermes .It also has that touch of liquor that gives it strength and masculinity .
    Projection is really good , being an EDP (taking into account that EDTs use to project better), and longevity is really good .

09th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 27th February, 2012)

Oud Immortel by Byredo

OI opens with a considerable dose of Limoncello (with its tipycal creamy-sweet-citrus aroma) mixed with the characteristic Byredo's bitter note that immediately reminded me of M/Mink. In this phase, the overall effect wasn't really appealing to my nose but at the same time I wasn't ready to scrub it off yet as I was somehow intrigued by something that was going on in the back. After a bunch of minutes I realized that cardamom and oud were working together with a remarkable dose of patchouli to create a very interesting blend. A slightly medicinal vibe surrounds the fragrance throughout while incense and oakmoss add extra depth and consistency. A bold scent with an amazing lasting power and a great sillage.

Overall Oud Immortel is a well done composition, perfectly unisex, that worths at least a try if you're into bold Ouds. Personally I'm not completely satisfied as the Limoncello opening is definitely unappealing to my nose. Anyway I would still consider it as a serious contendant if just a little cheaper.

09th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 06th April, 2012)

Sel Marin by Heeley

I like the overall direction of this because Heeley managed to create something oceanic wothout going down the road of utterly synthetic smelling aquatic aldehyde notes, but at some point the salt in it just becomes way too pronounced on me. It's almost salty-gourmand and quite headache inducing. If you don't have this problem Sel Marin will be a refined and elegant yet sporty citrus+mint+vetiver+wood+SALT fragrance for you!

09th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 07th April, 2012)

Yuzu Man by Caron

I think this is an easy to wear scent for the office BUT I expected so much more from this. The way the notes are treated seems kind if "dated" to me. Instead of really being fresh the overall impression is tamed sweet softness paired with aquatic notes that are anything but interesting. That is to say that I would buy it if it was cheap and wear it casually however it would never get past the role of a gap-filler. Disappointed.

09th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 31st May, 2012)

drseid's avatar

YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This scent brings back wonderful memories from my childhood, as it was the first scent that really stood out from the rest in attracting my attention. I remember walking around my local drug store (before the big chains even existed) and smelling this fabulous herbal lemon scent in the fragrance section. I had never worn fragrances before, and never thought much of the idea in general, but boy did that scent smell good... I *had* to find out what it was I was smelling... Of course, it was YSL pour Homme.

I did not buy a bottle that day as my allowance was never enough to afford it, but here we are 25 years later and I finally, out of nostalgia, picked up a vintage bottle of YSL pour Homme to see if the love still exists all these years later... I now can safely say after trying the scent on my skin for the first time ever, that it indeed does!

So what does it smell like? I get major lemon in the opening and heart notes, mixed with herbs like basil, thyme, oregano and maybe even a hint of nutmeg spice. As the scent progresses, vetiver joins the herbal spiced lemon party, creating a mildly dirty sour lemon combo. In short, it smells incredible. The scent projects quite well, but unlike a lot of other powerhouses from its time, it is not an absolute beast, making YSL pour Homme quite wearable when sprayed in moderation. Longevity is also well above average.

Still relevant even after all these years, I believe YSL pour Homme is an outright classic herbal lemon powerhouse scent that deserves a lot more attention than it gets and should be in every man's collection. 4 stars out of 5.

09th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 22nd December, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

What a misleading beginning! At the first sniff, few instants later the first spray on my wrist, i was on the point to put it apart; too pungent, sour and bitter-lemony (almost disinfectant kind) the initial bergamot whiff. What happened few instants later? A wonderful bold spicy-patchouli, citrus, florals and suede connection started to disclose its smooth (almost balmy) soul and planting the roots on the skin. There is a notable pungent undertone of orange-cinnamon playing like a counterpart to a sort of laundry, soapy and conservative (a bit barber-shop) basic neutrality. The final outcome is very smooth, refined, natural, floral but decidedly masculine (astringent elements, patchouli, moss and woods), a bit laundry-toilette (citrus, caraway and lavender), slightly herbal-aromatic and silky-leathery. The leather requires time to come out but is finally protagonist. Similar to Azzaro Pour Homme, just less herbal, angular, spicy and complex. What a wonderful cologne is this! Its man is self confident, mature but at once youthful and daring. A classic with all its baggage of reminiscences.

09th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 03rd April, 2013)

dollars&scents's avatar

Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Iris Poudre by Frederic Malle - Upon application, one is treated to beautiful and understated wafts of aldehydes, giving a sparkly dimension to the lemony magnolia, the fruity ylang-ylang and the tutti-fruti jasmine. Drifting to the waiting middle, a regal iris overtakes the brilliance of the aldehydes, and infuses its violet-like sweetness and verdancy to the fore. The standoffish iris is lightly dusted with the powderiness of the magical aldehydes. An earthy and somewhat green undertone is provided by stalwart vetiver. Transitioning to the awaiting base, creamy sandalwood, spicy tonka bean and sweet vanilla encase the lustrous iris, and lead to a handsome and easy drydown. This exquisite, unisex composition is a skin scent, as far as projection is concerned; however, the longevity, 8-9 hours, is good.

stephend's avatar

cK one by Calvin Klein

Nice fresh fragrance but doesn't last long. It's good it's not too dear as you may need to keep applying it ... more clutter for the handbag!

Dernier_Cri's avatar

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

The initial opening, as much of a minor horror as it may be, is one of the highlights here. Yes, I am one of those distracted by accidents. The sweet floral note that doesn't seem to be complementing anything at all . The occluded frankincense. The sweet fermentation smell. Did someone forget to take out the garbage? It's all very complicated by not in a particularly productive way. When it dries down XXV becomes a perfectly acceptable incense but ultimately is it really worth writing home about? However much interest it does generate somehow it seems we've all smelled this one before done at least as well. Picture a few years down the road some cognoscente smelling one new thing or another and proclaiming: "This fragrance is so Amouage 2007."

VanAllan's avatar

Romania Romania

Miracle Homme by Lancôme

It starts woody-fresh-spicy with a noticeable red-pepper & oakmoss presence, enveloped by a slight bitter coffee aroma.
    After 30 min. it become sweeter and here is for me the miracle: adding the cedar/coffee/rosewood it turns into a wonderful combination, a spicy-powdery one, never encountered before. Stays like this for the next 3-4 hrs, adding at drydown a slight guaiacwood-vetiver waft.
    I mostly perceived it more like a spicy-oriental type that has a great combination of notes and I could easily climb it in my top 5 fragrances for cold weather. Discontinued & wonderful.

ohiogirl's avatar

Halston Night by Halston

First let me say that I LOVE fragrance but I am very particular about the fragrances that I wear. Halston Night is the most haunting fragrance I have EVER owned. I would love to be able to purchase it without the risk of the fragrance having lost its true scent. If I were a fragrance manufacturer I would bring back this scent, even if I had to search the world over for ingredients which are extinct.

dark phoenix 123's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Inouï by Shiseido

Managed to find two bottles of inoui during my trip to tokyo a couple of years back. Inoui is a very well-composed chypre. i would regard it as fresh smelling, yet not boring. wonder why it was discontinued. if it was just the oakmoss, i think they shd be able to find alternatives. anyway, very pleased with my purchases. incidentally, one of the bottles is called "lotion de parfum" - a very tall rectangular bottle with a grey cap (glass has nice wavy patterns at the back). Haven't seen this bottle before anywhere previously. I also bought Angelique by Shiseido. The japanese sales lady was letting me sample some of the vintage ones she still has left, and Angelique was also an easy purchase - love at first sniff! love the green / rose / plum accord. she also gave me a vintage muraski tester as well.

fatmanwalking's avatar

Silver Shadow Altitude by Davidoff

Super, refreshing fragrance. Very different from the run of the mill stuff we see.

Although it doesn't match up to the longevity or feel of Cool Water, it is still a great fragrance to have as an anytime/anywhere fragrance.

Jus's avatar

Royal Oud by Creed

This time the House of Creed has been the center: there could be no better way to present a balanced and wearable Oud. Far from those vulgar oriental perfumes, Oud Royal is elegant, refined and exudes aristocracy. Opens with a stunning blast of citrus and sits on a beautiful background of cedar and sandalwood. After a little, that enters a magical oud, accurate, balanced and never yelled. Suitable for mature men, will be a worthy complement to a tailored suit and Italian playboy attitude of great taste. Unable to wear before you have thirty years.

parfums*PARFUMS Luxe: Patchouli by Comme des Garçons

A terrific patchouli/fenugreek/angelica root composition. If you dislike bold and dark fragrances you should better stay carefully away from Luxe Patchouli as it's very powerful and noticeable. The main element is blended with a strong immortelle note providing the typical burnt sugary quality while a strong resinous and moderately sweet base, adds extra body to this thick earthy composition. Less sweet than Sables but richer than Fareb, Luxe Patchouli is a perfect example of a dark fragrance with a modern twist.

Unisex, intense, long lasting and unique. Another winner from the guys at Comme Des Garcons.

Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Oh my...Sous Le Vent immediately jumped at the top of my favorite deliveries from Guerlain together with Jicky, Mitsouko, Derby, Vol De Nuit, Vetiver Pour Elle and Mouchoir De Monsieur. A terrific dry chypre that is pure perfection. Mossy, woody, animalic, green and, most of all, not as sweet as many Guerlains. If you like classic chypres and old-fashion staples such as Mitsouko and Futur you can't miss Sous Le Vent.

Mandatory.

scentsitivity's avatar

Aoud Velvet by Montale

I get a mix of floral and nondescript fruity notes, coupled with medicinal aoud. I don’t think this one works too well.

barclaydetolly's avatar

I Love New York for Him by Bond No. 9

This is wretched. Starts with a cucumbery green citrus that reminds me vaguely of Wall Street, but quickly degenerates into a cloudy green mess that smells horribly synthetic (in a bad way) and absolutely will not scrub off. Very, very disappointing.

Petitgrain's avatar

Hungary Hungary

D&G L'Amoureaux 6 by Dolce & Gabbana

Beautiful smell. Just it has a big problem, the very poor longevity. But despite it's defect, i love it.

Alityke's avatar

Jubilation 25 by Amouage

I admire this rather than like it. I am a fan of deep green and floral chypres but for me this doesn't fall into either of these categories. Yes I get a dose of spicy top, yes I get a whole heap of flowers running right through until the very final dry down, when I get spicy incense and vanilla rather than amber.

Unfortunately this combination in the first 3 hours made me slightly headachy and nauseous. It may simply be I'm unused to such rich and complex elixir. I feel a spring day when it's crisp and sunny may vastly improve my response to this

odysseusm's avatar

Olive Leaf by Thymes

I'll give this a cautious thumbs up. I bought it a couple of years ago on spec, mostly due to the ingredients:
    Olive leaf extract and oil, Sardinian laurel leaf, sage, rosemary, balsamic lavender flowers, rosewood, bamboo leaf, aromatic wood notes, patchouli.
    When I first tried it, it seemed very sweet and patchouli-centric to me. I put it aside for a couple of years and am revisiting it. Now it seems OK to me. Perhaps it also works better for me in cool weather.
    It is fresh and starts fairly sweet (to my taste). It is a bit dense and soapy at this point. The scent opens up and has a green-fruity note which I associate with olive soap. The herbal notes develop nicely as the sweet-soapy aspect burns off. The scent is quite pleasant. It is a bit soft and pretty, not quite as dry as I usually wear. The patchouli now seems OK to me, not problematic.

Tonkabeany's avatar

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

An unaulterated masterpiece in the discontinued parfum form and currently available on EBAY! This never happens, if only I had the money for it.

kokonut's avatar

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

This thing smells very good but the enjoyable fruity-spicy part lasts on me maximum 30 minutes. No words for that.

kokonut's avatar

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

That's a lot of ingredients! Actually there's only apple vanilla and juniper if you search for it. Smells VERY cheap. I tried it beacause some people said it's fruity. Not true. Smells old, boring and actually weird. What a composition - sweet vanilla and juniper which reminds me of forest. Plus the synthetic a'la hugo boss apple. I don't recommend it, very disappointed.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

As others say , this smells quite old , but I prefer it to other old-school fragrances like Antaeus or Pour Monsieur .Obsession is very strong at first splash , but when it dries down it turns more werable and subtle, keeping an animalic manly touch with notes of amber and musk .
    Great longevity and average projection .

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

This is a darker version of Le Male . I agree with Darvant in that this smells pharmaceutical . Dead flowers, soapy, , quite old woman scent ...
    Longevity and projection are similar to Le Male , in other words , great .But I can't imagine a man wearing this .Instead I picture a middle-age woman.

Fleurine's avatar

Coeur-Joie by Nina Ricci

Notes: bergamot, hyacinth, gardenia, violet, orange blossom, Oriental rose, jasmine, violet, and iris from Florence

If you have spent enough time in a major city like Paris or New York, you will know Coeur Joie. She is that arrestingly beautiful, tall, thin, immaculately dressed, mystery woman who you see on the street. The one you know MUST be a celebrity, yet from where you cannot place. She is alone, in the middle of an afternoon, not at work, strolling aimlessly through a fashionable neighborhood, wistfully window shopping. She has the right sunglasses, not too much. Her ivory colored coat puts just the right light in her face. She smiles easily. But, Coeur Joie doesn't give up her secrets easily. Maybe her love life is a bit *complicated*, or her family a bit *difficult* She has many more acquaintances than she she does friends. She may let you know a little something about her relationship with gardenia or iris, but you still don't feel you know her. Then you remember, of course, it's Coeur Joie, isn't she one of the sisters of L'Air du Temps? She must be, the perfect posture, the aquiline nose, AND the pedigree. I've read about her in the society pages. Always with those pretty sisters. Well, there she is. In person. What a nice surprise.