Fragrance Reviews from February 2012

Boge's avatar

Arrogance Uomo by Arrogance

Excellent!! As Darvant mentioned, it is in the same vein as Trussardi Uomo but much darker. A more refined, i.e., softer & sweeter version of Arrogance Pour Homme. Classic.

rogalal's avatar

Lieber Gustav by Krigler

This is a bit of a rare one, inspired by a German recipe from 1914. It's sold as a mix of leather, black tea, and lavender, but I personally don't think it smells at all like what that description makes me think of. There's no birch tar or quinoline in here that I can detect, and I'm not sure where that black tea is supposed to be, either.

It's clearly Krigler's take on an old-fashioned "oriental". It's got a classic "oriental" mix of patchouli and amber played against a dank green herbal note, so it kind of reminds me of Coromandel. Then, it's also got a fougere on top, so there's a lot of lavender and some musky tobacco-ish tonka filling out the "oriental" mix, as well as some vanilla (think Le Male). This all ends up mixing together to smell kind of like butterscotch pudding mixed with that Le Male tobacco leaf with that dark green oily herbal note lurking in the background, keeping Lieber Gustav from ever really smelling very gourmand.

All in all, I've enjoyed Lieber Gustav, but it's not really my style. Thumbs up for keeping me interested and smelling good (seriously, a mix of Coromandel and Le Male? That's got to be worth a sniff...)

cheshiredave1's avatar

James Bronnley Gentlemen's Eau de Toilette by Bronnley

I'm adding this as hardly anyone else has done so at this stage.
    I can sum this up pretty easily. A weaker, but very good copy of Acqua di Parma, original version. Very pleasant, nothing repulsive. I don't thinkm it will last too long, but neither does ADP.
    Don't rely too much on my review as, despite my obsession, I don't have a super-sharp sense of smell and there might be other things hiding away in there, but the i nitial hit is very ADP.

Tried out 2 or 3 times in a department store. I'd buy it at half price, but not at full price.

UPDATE: "A refined and classic fragrance, with natural toning properties. Seville Oranges blend with bergamot, exotic spices and fresh aromatic herbs, resting on a base of rich cedar and mosses." From the interweb.

nascia's avatar

Sa Majesté la Rose by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is the best rose scent I've ever tried. I (like some others have mentioned) find most rose perfumes to be overwhelming and cloying, and I'd have to say that this is kind of overwhelming, but boy, in a good way. This is like cat nip to me. It's something that I wear for myself, and usually when I am by myself because the sillage is incredibly strong on me and I am hesitant to thrust it upon those around me who might not have the same positive reaction as I do (although one day I might try it out in public and see what people think).
    It has something sharp and almost gourmand to me (even though it is not a gourmand), it stimulates my appetite, awakens my senses and makes me feel comforted all at the same time.
    It is a fairly linear rose scent, but there is a complexity to it that you would not find in a typical rose oil/scent in my opinion. I've been wearing this on and off for a month now, and each time I wear it I love it more. I'm so glad someone made this. I wish I had more words to describe the effect it has on me.

Alityke's avatar

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

I simply don't understand the hype n horror. I does not smell of a trauma room or an operating theatre. Yes it has a metallic or salt note which are done better by Thierry Mugler in Womanity and Cologne but this does not smell human. After an hour it smelt of a stale glass of water that's been sat so long its started to evaporate and synthetic sweetener.
    There is a teeny tiny floral in there but it's so small my uneducated nose couldn't distinguish what flower it was.

After 2 hours it had almost disappeared from my skin. On a tissue applied at the same time the frag had developed to the one hour skin stage after 2 hours but no other notes were distinguishable on the tissue than on the skin.

Neurtral rather than negative as I find it simply something and nothing. The power of suggestion proven

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

Indeed a truly great fragrance. The rich, aromatic, musty tobacco is accompanied by leathery notes, especially in the midnotes and basenotes. Heavy and rich but with nuances that develop well. Good (for Creed) longevity of around three hours. A classic, male, traditional and formal fragrance, that I'd wear in the evening for special occasions - the latter necessitated by it's rarity and expense.

Cuir de Russie by Creed

A classic balanced leather fragrance. The lemony notes of the initial impression gives way to a classic leather aroma that is unexpectedly bright, relaxed and never harsh. On me it lacks the gasoline notes of Knize Ten or Tom Ford Tuscan leather, and consistently has an elegance that those don't have. Good (for Creed) longevity of around three hours on my skin, but markedly tapering after the first two and then staying close to the skin. I prefer this for cooler seasons. One of the best leather fragrances I can recall.

Bois de Santal by Creed

A classic, rich sandalwood that dominates with a hint of neroli and initially a touch of orange. I find it a fragrance that changes little on my skin, which might be different for others. A nigh monochrome sandalwood experience with restrained elegance and never cloying. On the formal side, traditional and delightful.

Minkymaid's avatar

England England

Zeta by Tauer

Oooh ... This is delicious. Think honey and roses in warm sunshine, with a touch of orange

teardrop's avatar

England England

Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain

To my nose this is a sweet, slightly powdery peach with iris & vanilla. The peach note may have been suggested to me subliminally by the peach (not pink) colour of the juice, but there is definitely sweet fruit of some kind in there. The sillage is very soft, & it lasts around 5 hours on me.
    l don't hate this; l'm just kind of indifferent to it. lt is better quality than most of the fruity florals out there, & if it does help attract younger consumers to the house of Guerlain, all well & good. But for me this comes nowhere close to the deliciously smokey, ambery & animalic original.

surge's avatar

Azure Lime by Tom Ford

Azure Lime reminds me a LOT of Dior Fahrenheit (the heart of it) -- take Fahrenheit, add spicy woods and dirty lime on the top and get rid of the violet and you've got TF Azure Lime.

The scent itself (not taking into account siliage \ longevity \ projection) is *very* well done, from the top to bottom, and is one of my favorite summer and spring scents.

The spicy lime really makes it stand out from the crowd of summer frags, and it's probably the best lime scent I've ever had the pleasure of using.

So what's the problem then? The problem is that this stuff costs 200$ for 50ML and you get about 2 hours from 4 sprays of it. Seriously, 2 hours. WTF Tom Ford?

This is supposed to be a "Private Blend" EDP made from high quality yada yada blah blah...yet I get more longevity out of Versace Eau Fraiche than I do with this. Crazy.

I'm honestly suprirsed that they would even release a fragrance like this that seriously *does NOT* last at all and has literally no projection whatsoever. Maybe they thought the scent itself would make up for all that? Yes, if this were a TF boutique frag and cost 70$ for a 50ML.

Not for a Private Blend!

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

This fragrance is great. It smells like dry, powdery white soap. With a bubbly note. I also smell the incense note in this fragrance. It's a plain scent. It's lasting power for me is about 10 hours, maybe even more. I think it works great in any season.

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

When I first spray this fragrance i get sharp almost minty lavender smell, After it Stays on your skin longer it gets very smooth. It smells like creamy, chocolate, vanilla, iris. It stays on the skin for a long time, 15-20 hours for me.

Larimar's avatar

Austria Austria

Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Why do I love Sous le Vent when I can't do most (vintage) green chyprés?
    In a one-liner I would describe Sous le Vent as a powdery aromatic chypré.

The opening accord of Sous le Vent consisting of green notes (galbanum, citrus) and herbs, mostly
    tarragon to my perception, creates a lime-like accord as drseid pointed out in his review, which is juicy, zesty like the lime in tropical longdrinks/cocktails.
    Everything is gorgeously balanced in Sous le Vent, the refreshing, reviving aromatic citric opening accord (after all, according to history this was meant to refresh Josephine Baker after her legendary performances), the powdery woods and notes of undergrowth (official notes list) and last but not least a perfect chypré accord to my nose with a naughty hint well hidden underneath. I would expect this to bloom more in summer.
    Sous le Vent is soon a skin scent, not at all surprisingly being a traditional chypré, but very longlived for an EdT with oakmoss fading out eventually.
    I have found many different perfume associations for Sous le Vent. What came first to my mind is the green note in the heart that clearly reminded me of the green in the current Vol de Nuit Extrait. Diaghilev by Roja Dove (another superb contemporary chypré) makes an appearance once the woody facet is most prominent. Eau de Guerlain and its citric opening blast is not far either.
    One last word about the concentration - I think the airy character, like a breeze, the refreshing quality is retained best in the EdT concentration, however much I like to wear extraits in general.
    Sous le Vent is as per January 2012 still part of Guerlain's product range and not yet discontinued. However, I am not hopeful for this interesting and sophisticated composition's future. Get it NOW!

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Joop Homme is a very sweet fragrance. This smell is very strong and i find it detectable for up to 2 days on skin after bathing and even a week on clothing, i notice the strength of this fragrance first!

dollars&scents's avatar

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens - One is initially slapped with an invigorating jolt of outdoorsy pine, quite reminiscent of an old forest with its omnipresent pine tar, pine sap and pine needles, concomitant with a hint of terpentine. A syrupy, sweetish butterscotch undertone presents. Segueing to the awaiting middle, this half-heartedly bracing opening is enhanced by the addition of holiday spices, with musty clove, warm cinnamon bark and slightly minty laurel, as well as a sprinkling of evocative frankincense with its sweetly citric nuances. This rapturous mix floats to the waiting, robust base. Honeyed fruits, remindful of a holiday confection, fir balsam, with its balsamic, Christmas tree character, as well as vetiver, with its smoky green earthiness commingle to create a festively delightful drydown. This captivating fragrance is made for the fall and winter, and is a skin scent with average longevity.

The Dreamer by Versace

Versace the Dreamer, is a very powdery, Flowery, sweet scent. But not dense. It smells like what sparkly, powdered white dust would smell like.

scentsitivity's avatar

Red Aoud by Montale

At first I am surprised by how little aoud I detect; it strikes me as rather gourmandish and sweet with a definite saffron presence. Soon, the aoud comes through in typical medicinal manner, while the sweetness continues. I don’t really get a sense of cumin here, at least not any of its dirtiness. Red Aoud comes across as gourmandish fragrance. I really don’t like it very much at all.

Wij07380's avatar

Aventus by Creed

Wow... great fragrance!

At first, I wasn't to sure about it. But once I started wearing it, I realised it was so special! So fresh, fruity and flowery.... I can't stop smelling my wrists and scarf :P

Encre Noire by Lalique

Encre Noire by Lalique is a unique scent, To me it smells Dusty, Ashy, Black, Earthy, and Smoky all in one. To Describe it a little more simple, think of something dry like dark wood or paper with ink on it and dabble it in water and they kind of smell alike.

La Cologne Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Fleur Du Male La Cologne is a Very White and thick mossy fragrance. Sometimes it even smells of strong white soap that's animalic to me. It last a long time on the skin.

döfä91's avatar

Finland Finland

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

This one was clearly such fragrance that needed several try-outs before i learned to like it. Even the second time it smelled much better than first time. Third time: i fell in love. I agree the opinions described by others as a dark, unique scent. Surrealistic? May be too much said, don't know. There is so much power in this fragrance, that it can be seen as 'evil' or 'creepy' but like said by some other reviewers but the key is spraying only 1-2 sprays! On my skin this amount developes really beautifully, when sprayed only 1-2 sprays under the shirt, to chest-belly area. Then this scent gives out its best. With heart/base notes i get a small connection to Kouros that some other mentioned, not very evident though.

One of the best sillage & longevity on my skin. Apparently this scent is more than average dependent of the skin type, because some reviewers get just opposite results of longevity.

If i think of possible candidates for the "signature scent" this is one to consider.

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Joop! Homme by Joop!

I use this one as a shoe spray, same as i use Azzaro Chrome. When the shoes only need a little refreshing, I use Azzaro Chrome...when they need alot of powerful, sweet refreshing, like for instance some of my Nike Air Max basketball shoes, they require JOOp!. It's horrifically sweet, yes, and punishingly powerful, but it keeps even the foulest shoes smelling decent.

It actually smells like it looks...a dark pink nightmare of sugar and chamomile. The drydown isn't so bad, despite being far too sweet. If you like pink candy Gourmands that people can smell 10 feet away, this is for you. If not, stay away....FAR FAR AWAY.

MJW77's avatar

Aventus by Creed

Definite thumbs up for Aventus! A really great smelling fragrance that has quickly become a favourite of mine. Can be worn any time of year and in any situation. Basically whenever you feel the need to smell really good! No sillage or longevity issues for me either, just plenty of compliments!

Alityke's avatar

Eloge du Traitre by Etat Libre d'Orange

I'm amazed there is no incense listed as I pick up a strong churchy note throughout this fragrance. Yes some pine yes some jasmine but largely unashamedly churchy.

On second wearing it lacks longevity and has consistently dried down to bitter smoke which has spoilt it for me.

Hasn't measured up to Bois d'Encens or Nu

05 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 07 February, 2012)

Primrose's avatar

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

I so wanted to love Tobacco Vanille, as I enjoy sweet tobacco scents. It goes on as a warm, sweet tobacco and vanilla--what is on on the tin is in the contents.

In the end, on me, I got mostly a warm amber and vanilla with less of the tobacco.

I give this a thumbs up if you like more vanilla than tobacco, as some do.

I adore the Tuscan Leather in this line, but will find my sweet tobacco elsewhere in other scents:

By Killian Back to Black
    Costamor Tabacca
    Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque

EDIT: I also bought Tobacco Vanille to add to my tobacco lineup

05 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th March, 2012)

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

Bogart Citytower by Jacques Bogart

This fragrance start with huge blast and smoky incense, sweet musk and nutmeg. strong and sweet but at the same time so smoky and dark.
    After about 10 minutes, incense become stronger mixed with some oud in the background, giving this fragrance even more smoky vibe!
    In the base, incense and oud are weak in the background with leather and musk hand to hand and some floral notes.
    A good fragrance for fall and winter with great projection and longevity.

05 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 07 May, 2012)

noirdrakkar's avatar

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Of the hundreds of aquatic scents out there, this is one of the better ones.

Despite different ingredients, it is conceptually in the same mold as Polo.

It starts out as a fresh aquatic (that is a little salty), but then dries down into a very dark spicy scent.

05 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 24 May, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Dia Man by Amouage

Discreet, balanced spicy-incensed  fragrance that introduces a remarcably sweet, almost edible (fruits and tasty spices) and powdery kind of masculine subtlety. The starring frankincense-cistus labdanum is immediately notable in its prickly link with cardamom and nutmeg (cinnamon?). The smell is averagely sharp, slightly smoky, barely earthy and woody. There is anyway something wet and fresh in the dust along the first instants of the development because of the orangy accord of citrus and lavender. The sweet combination of dry spices, citrus, dry fruits and neroli is almost boozy and agreeable with a touch of fluidity. The rise up of flowers starts to moderate the game while balancing the tasty vibe and introducing elements of natural sophistication. The floral complex heart of ylang-ylang, peonies and iris sets a sort of complex transition towards a kind of creamy final suede that is at once silky and boise' with its musky bed of labdanum and a sheer darkly sophisticated floral patchouli. The slightly  powdery and dusty dry down is tremendously subtle, slightly buttery and decidededly sophisticated of flowers, exotic fruits and mossy patchouli. While the scent is discreet and close to the skin it is tenacious and well appointed in the solidity of chords and multifaceted complexity. The smell is really arcane and complicated with some reminiscences of fragrances like Coze' 02 and  Arsene Lupin Dandy because of its green crispiness and its spicy-rooty kind of boozy and rosey savour. The dry down is leathery for sure and musky but with reminiscences of tasty and edible elements. A touch of earthiness and smoke close  the round. Extremely elegant, spiritual and changeful fragrance.

05 February, 2012 (Last Edited: 25 July, 2012)

goody2141's avatar

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

I am in my mid 20's, and I personally think it smells good, females love it. I am extremely surprised with the projection and longevity. I went out to eat with a friend after work, she could smell it across the table on me, approximately 10 hours after application. I only did one spray on my neck. I bought a 4.2 oz tester for like $20, great value.

06 February, 2012