Fragrance Reviews from March 2012

Belle de Nuit by Fragonard

While I do find this fragrance pretty, it's a little too soapy for my liking. It smells like an expensive bar of old-fashioned, floral soap.

The floral notes aren't as pronounced and as creamy as I would like them to be. The geranium tends to be quite prominent, adding a strange tartness to the scent.

Initially Belle de Nuit smelt grassy on my skin, and a little sharp. I found some similarities between this fragrance and Pure by DKNY. However once the scent had developed into the heart, the florals became much more balanced, with a slightly rich and juicy plum note.

In a warmer environment the gardenia, rose and violet really tend to shine, however in this cold weather in which I'm testing it now, Belle de Nuit smells literally like soap and musk. Due to this observation, Belle de Nuit is better suited to the delightful Spring weather.

Belle de Nuit lacks sweetness and powdery-ness which is something you often expect with florals. It does however have a very 'perfume-y' feel to it.

I'm young, and unfortunately I don't think that this perfume suits my age category. Belle de Nuit is more for a mature woman with a very clear approach to life. This fragrance is classic, a little old-fashioned and clean. Nothing in this composition hints at anything particularly sexy or daring.

The lasting power is impressive and the sillage is delicate and intimate. This fragrance, although it is not really to my taste, is something that I can imagine a caring mother wearing. Belle de Nuit is a scent that I'd like to remember a role-model in my life smelling of.

Boss Intense by Hugo Boss

This is currently my bed-time scent. It's not something I'd probably wear out, however its clean woodsiness is very soothing on a cold Winter's night under the blankets.

Boss Intense has an almost masculine feel to it. Not that it bothers me, I gender bend fragrances all the time. Some people refer to Boss Intense as being similar to Deep Red, also by Hugo Boss. I own both, and while I see the similarities, Deep Red is much sweeter and more tasty.

Vanilla does feature in this fragrance, however it's not sugary or particularly feminine. This fragrance has an odd bite to it, being rather bold and resinous in a way.

I feel powerful when I wear this fragrance, hence the reason why I recommend this fragrance for the tom-boys and those dominating types of women.

Boss Intense was a gift given to me by a friend, and even though it doesn't strike me as something particularly me, I will use the bottle up until the last drop.

This fragrance can be overpowering at times, and has a habit of sticking to fabric, especially my sheets. This fragrance really has to be applied lightly for it to be appreciated.

Santos by Cartier

I love the smell of the 80's. Back then, scents were loud, in-your-face and unique. Santos de Cartier is the best example of a raw, edgy, incredibly masculine scent from that time period.

Compared to those more modern scents, some may think Santos de Cartier is too strong, too earthy and too different to be worn by anyone today. I tend to disagree.

This fragrance hits you like a surprise punch in the face. For the first few seconds, it's bitter, green and herbaceous. As it settles, it begins to smell somewhat leathery and sweet. I find Santos de Cartier a stronger version of Chanel Antaeus.

There is a definite hint of vanilla and incense, particularly in the drydown, which makes this fragrance suitable for women to wear as well. Personally, I wouldn't feel ashamed to wear such a bold, manly scent like this one, and honestly, I'm fussy.

The rich, dark woodsiness of this fragrance is divine. In lots of ways I'd rather a man smell like Santos de Cartier than those non-descript citrus aromatics that tend to flood the male market these days.

The man that wears Santos de Cartier, is mature and sensible. Honestly, I can't imagine this being worn by or being bought by any young man. This fragrance is for real men.

There's nothing to fear in terms of lasting strength and sillage. Santos de Cartier is quite possibly the powerhouse fragrance of the century. I highly recommend.

djvix805's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This one to me seems like a mixture of Mont Blanc Individuel and JPG Le Male. I did not find it to have a gasoline note like others say. The top notes arent bad, and the dry-down is much better. However I did not like it as much as Mont Blanc Individuel which had better top notes and dry downs very similar while both project and last similarily. Purchased it as I tought it would be a good addition but don't plan to keep as I own others faily similar.

Scent: 7.5/10
    Projection: 8/10
    Longetivity: 9/10

Overall: 8/10

hedonist222's avatar

Armani Privé La Femme Bleue by Giorgio Armani

This along with Les Carottes by Honor de Pres are of the few perfumes that share certain qualities with Iris Silver Mist.

LFB is a bit more feminine. A distinct yet incognito cosmetics note with astringent iris garnished with cocoa powder.

The high quality ingredients may justify the price to some.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Jean Nate by Revlon

Absolutely unisex, even more masculine than 4711. Simple, refreshing and best of all, a bargain any way you look at it. It will not set the world on fire, but it does what it supposed to do with efficiency.
    Not my favorite "Acqua de Colonia" by any means, but it gets my thumbs up

30 Roses's avatar

White Lilac & Rhubarb by Jo Malone

White Lilac & Rhubarb is an eminently wearable lilac soliflore cologne. It is fresher, lighter and less sweet/less heady than Highland Lilac of Rochester. I get the impression that I am outdoors and the breeze carries over the scent of lilacs growing nearby-- not just the flowers but also the stems or leaves. The rhubarb note is a bit sharp on application but subsides within about 10 minutes. White Lilac & Rhubarb is an unobtrusive fragrance, yet 5-6 hours later I can still smell it wafting gently up at me from skin and clothing. I'm not a huge fan of Jo Malone generally but this is really nice. Too bad it's a limited edition-- I think it deserves to be part of the permanent collection.

Boss Woman by Hugo Boss

I didn't expect much from this fragrance prior to testing it. I wanted to explore more from the Hugo Boss range, and I would have felt incomplete if I hadn't tried all that was there to offer.

Boss Woman, while surprising at first, especially with it's delightfully sweet mango opening, turns out to be just as plain and boring as the bottle it comes in.

This fragrance won't offend; it's office friendly, warm weather friendly and an obvious crowd pleaser. I've smelt so many similar fragrances in the last few years, that I seem to have this constant feeling of deja-vu.

Boss Woman has become one of Hugo Boss' harder-to-find scents, and in some ways I wish that it was more readily available, so that I could see the disappearance of the disastrous Hugo XX instead.

While nicely balanced between fruitiness and flowery accords, Boss Woman makes me think of shampoo and Summer. Clean and simple, is the nicest thing I can say.

One thing that I do applaud is the fact that Boss Woman is barely synthetic. Although I love Deep Red, I do find its plasticine accord too much on certain days. Boss Woman is the first 'natural' scent by Hugo Boss that I've experienced, and for that I'm happy.

The lasting power is pretty good, as is the sillage. Out of the many Summer scents I detest these days, Boss Woman is something I'd prefer to smell on many young girls this coming season, despite the fact that this isn't really my cup of tea.

misscasey's avatar

Patchouli by Molinard

Perfect! I wanna full bottle NOW! This is a full bodied patchouli scent, powdery and slightly sweetened, slightly astringent to my nose. Naturally smoky and "incensy" while not overly "head-shoppy" or "dirty" as critics describe other patchouli scents. The perfect balance between dusty and sweet, somewhat along the lines of Bal a Versailles (though sweeter and more pleasant, and course, lots of patchouli.)

Good luck finding anything this good at your local head shop! This is a proper fragrance right here, and I love it. :)

misscasey's avatar

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

Very unique and distinctive scent here! Slightly sweet, a little sharp and synthetic, but certainly interesting. Spicy in a clean sort of way, almost like catnip. I would probably wear this if it didn't give me such a headache.

Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal

What people find difficult to like, I usually enjoy, and vice-versa. Myrrhe Ardente, and the whole Les Orientalistes series in general, are extremely well-constructed, beautiful fragrances.

I love rich, bold, resinous and smokey scents, so this fragrance is 'right up my alley'. Exotic is indeed what this fragrance is.

If you love fragrances like Oud 27 by Le Labo, Chanel Coromandel, Tauer's perfumes and anything woodsy and masculine, Myrrhe Ardente could possibly suit you.

Opening rather strongly, Myrrhe Ardente is a combination of dark woods, spicy incense and syrupy honey. I also get the reference being made in a few reviews to that slight booziness, a rum-like note that appears briefly in the heart.

Due to this fragrance's subtle sweetness, I find myself desiring this fragrance quite often. It would make a perfect scent for a couple to share, depending upon the fact that his taste is similar to your own.

While this fragrance is rough and foreign, it is incredibly sexy and alluring at the same time. Once the drydown has developed, I am often left in a peaceful state, shrouded in a smokey and sweet aroma, a little chocolatey and vanillary in certain moments.

The price is a little disheartening, seeming that is nearly twice the price of other Annick Goutal fragrances. However, for this particular beauty I would shell out every, single penny to own even a drop of its exquisite juice.

Dasher's avatar

Black Vetyver Café by Jo Malone

Dark maple syrup, chased quickly by a heart of Vetiver. Dries down in minutes to a syrupy molasses and a vague moss. Little projection or longevity. Perhaps my sample is old but I smell little cafe. Woods but no smoke.

Stee1's avatar

Blask by Humiecki & Graef

Super gorgeous scent. Extremely long lasting on my skin as my scents tend to. Still smelt it after a shower next day.

In love with it.

Shooting Stars: Dhofar by Xerjoff

Dhofar's opening lavender/coriander/pine accord is one of the ugliest and most unbalanced I've happened to experience on a masculine fragrance. It's just like seating on a piano keyboard and listen to the sound. Loud, cacophonic, anything but armonic. Unfortunately things don't get any better as Dhofar turns into a messy and overly soapy drydown. Meh.

del's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This sweet fragrance radiates a familiar fresh opening scent that can easily turn heads. It has a smooth and spicy middle, and the tonka bean dominates the drydown, quite similar to Chanel Allure Pour Homme. Clean, soft, and non-obstrusive, L'Homme can easily be worn in any setting without being self-conscious.

A perfume perfect for spring, early fall, or even summer nights, L'Homme in my opinion is too light to be worn under strong heat and will probably evaporate quickly. A heavy dose during the day is a must to make it stick to skin; it seems to get a stronger grip when reapplied, so spray as needed. L'Homme's projection is decent, but it gets shy after a couple of hours or so.

I like the scent, so does my wife; but due to longevity issue on my skin, I am giving L'Homme a weak thumbs-up that is *very* close to neutral.

Matttmj's avatar

I Love NY for All by Bond No. 9

Upon smelling this scent for the first time, I was overtaken with the sweet smell of glazed Krispy Kreme donuts, sour dough bread, and a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee. Now, that might not be everyone's thing per se, but it smells fantastic to me. Seriously, this is a great gourmand fragrance that one would not expect to have much staying power, but it actually sticks around all day. The vanilla/coffee/cocoa trifecta hit your nose at first and the leather/pepper/patchouli combination hits you in the second wave.

Virtue&Sin's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9

Still looking for the civet on this one... ;)
    Most of men who try this one seem to like it, tough.

Shooting Stars: Oroville by Xerjoff

I'll probably have to resign to the fact that Xerjoff is not my favorite house (euphemistically). Most of their fragrances are like bad songs played by an incredibly skilful band. The musicians' ability is stunning but the songs don't move you.

Oroville makes no exceptions. The clary sage/tobacco made me initially think about something challenging, dirty and very masculine but all I got was a powdery vanilla/tobacco mix, leaden by an harsh white floral presence during the opening and the middle phase. In the drydown things get a little better bot nowhere close matching my taste. Too polished, to mannered, too affected.

Marvin8's avatar

Kiton Black by Kiton

Back story: I belong to a very swank health club here in the Midwest which has an indoor running track. A couple times a week, I'd be stretching next to the track when this guy would jog by, dripping with sweat, and he'd smell GREAT. Well, I was too embarassed to stop him to ask what he was wearing, fearing he'd think I was gay and hitting on him, so I figured I'd let it go........but I STILL just HAD to know. Well, one day, as luck would have it, he was walking by my car with a girl, so I figured it was a perfect opportunity to roll the window down, summon him over, and "pop the question"; "Hey, uhm (long pause), I was just kinda wondering what cologne you wear when you run on the track? It smells great! Don't worry...I'm not hitting on ya."
    Well, he let out a big chuckle, then said; "not to worry, you're the 3rd person today to ask. Once was in my office, and the other was a girl in an elevator. Happens all the time." So after he told me "It's Kiton BLACK", I thanked him and he went on his merry way. First thing I did was buy a bottle of the stuff. Ok, folks....I've got a TON of high end colognes in the medicine cabinet...a TON. My favorite for many years has been Pheromone For Men by Marilyn Miglin, but when I started wearing this Kiton stuff, lemme tell ya....chicks are drawn to it like nothing I've ever experienced in my life. I don't know if it's the combo of my body scent plus the Kiton or not, but chicks are CONSTANTLY commenting about how wonderful I smell. HONEST. HONEST. HONEST........to the point where they think I'm being a shmuck when I refuse to tell them the name. It really works like a magnet for me. I highly suggest you try the stuff for yourself if you don't believe me. Then you will truly be amazed. Heck, I'M amazed that nobody has mentioned this in the prior reviews. Very bizarre. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I also love the smell of that Thierry Mugley stuff called Vettiver, but it sucks that it only lasts about a half hour on me. Won't buy it again for that reason. Kiton Black reigns supreme for picking up the babes!

kokonut's avatar

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Wow, doesn't smell old at all. Really got the blackcurrant note and i love it! I also get something soapy in it which i dislike but the overall smell is very good.

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Forte + Forte by Profumi del Forte

This is an old world, Italian style cologne made of outstanding ingredients. The notes pop and vibrate with freshness. A crisp citrus opening is lifted by iris and jasmine and is drawn to a perfect conclusion in the base of oak moss, patchouli and tonka musk. Forte + Forte would be a great "old school" eau de cologne but it has something extra to add in the bold personality of Tarragon. The green anise herbal odor of fresh tarragon gives its essence to all parts of this cologne. If you enjoy green tarragon oil, you will like Forte + Forte because this green herb is blended through the the crisp eau de cologne body of this fragrance. A very good aromatic herbal eau de cologne.

DrAdotP's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Refreshing. Uplifting. Rugged. Free Spirited. Energizing. The descriptive list goes on reaching the very depths this very land we live on does. From that sparkling blast of citrus to the trembling, ground shattering earthiness that overwhelms the initial zest, this fragrance does what niche fragrances are known to do: Evolve and intrigue. (Though this is a high end designer fragrance).

Let me rephrase..Terre D'Hermes does exactly what M. Ellena is known to do with his fragrances: Evolve and Intrigue. Ellena is known for his transparent style - literally "see through" fragrances. Give my man a dirty old window and he'll shoot pellets of art right through it in a pattern that's apparent...but when looking through the holes, an entirely new world unfolds right there in front of you.

Starts with a fireworks display of rugged citruses with a sparkling sensation given off by the pepper...dries down to a mellowed orange zest fragrance with a strong woody, earthy, and soil like undertone...which gives off a strong, masculine, yet refreshing sensation. Extremely versatile...can be sported in a suit, a henley and jeans, or T-shirt and shorts, ...anything - any weather - any season - a remarkable creation by JCE.

I wore this once in California..I drove up the Hollywood Hills...found an open patch of land where two buddies of mine and I just sat and relaxed..overlooking the city of LA, the sunset, and the breeze carried whiffs of TdH around us...it was absolutely gorgeous.

Longevity: Phenomenal..can smell it the next day on my skin and clothes if wearing the same T-Shirt or so to bed.

Sillage: Gorgeous and projects well through every phase.

Compliments: The most complimented fragrance in my wardrobe (was my signature scent until Sweet Redemption by Kilian took the helm)

I never endorse blind buys...so definitely a MUST TRY.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I have an amusing relationship with this fragrance. A guy I was seeing briefly insisted I try it. I meekly agreed despite not finding anything to recommend it. I was very unimpressed when first sprayed and the day went by without incident. Only two days later...I couldn't get it out of my mind and needed, wanted, craved it.

Since then, every person who comes near me for any time at all can't help but comment on how the smell suits me...some even mention it more than once - weird? I've had guys who otherwise have no interest in perfumes actually ask me the name of what I'm wearing. I haven't worn another scent that elicits that sort of reaction. Ever.

Blu II by Bulgari

Smells like a bad flowery body lotion.

Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

Way too overpowering and musky for me.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Trussardi by Trussardi

This is one of the most beautiful leather chypres I've ever smelled.At the opening, the closest thing I can compare it to is Paloma Picasso. However, it's quieter and subtly smokier. In the far dry down it becomes soft, slightly sweet and dry like Hermes' Bel Ami. I found a 5 ml mini in an antique store in New Orleans and immediately purchased a 1.7 oz bottle on line when I got back home. Even though it was marketed as a woman's scent while it was out, this definitely has a masculine edge to it and I urge every man who's interested in leather scents to try this. You won't be disappointed. I'm really surprised that there isn't more conversation about this whether on Basenotes or on line in general. In my opinion, its highly underrated. the following are the notes listed for this scent from various perfume blogs:

aldehydes, bergamot, hyacinth, galbanum, coriander, geranium, jasmine, tuberose, ylang ylang, leather, styrax, amber, cedar, sandalwood, patchouli, oakmoss, orris root, musk and lily of the valley (I suspect that there is also civet in this).

My only complaint is that it only comes in EDT concentration and leaves something to be desired in the way of silage and longevity. But while it lasts, it's divine! It's not hard to find as it is on ebay and at very reasonable prices for it's quality.

If you try it, I'd love to hear what you think. Let me know...

PS...this is wonderful by itself, but layering it with a little sprits of Terre D'Hermes takes it over the top!

redrose's avatar

Miriam by Tableau de Parfums

Miriam is one of Tauer's latest essays on feminine florals. Like so many other perfumers faced with the restrictions on rose imposed by IFRA 43, Tauer sought a way to use this cherished note without running foul of the guidelines. And he's succeeded brillliantly, with Miriam. It's a gorgeous, unabashedly feminine perfume that manages to be contemporary yet evoke old-fashioned glamour too; the sort of thing I could imagine Rita Hayworth or Hedy Lamarr wearing to a premiere. There's rose, yes, and a slew of aldehydes along with bergamot, geranium, violet and ylang ylang, all evident in the first half hour. The aldehydes linger for some time, and then the predominantly floral fragrance stays quite linear for several hours, eventually drying down to a beautifully soft ambery, vanilla and sandalwood composition. Incense notes and a spiced tea accord, recognizable from Une Rose Chypree, are also evident. I couldn't detect the orris root, but I'm sure it's there, helping everything meld together. On me this fragrance lasted for seven hours, something of a record. As you can probably guess, I love it.
    I think anyone could wear it, for just about any occasion. It's a bold perfume, but spritzed on sparingly you could wear it to the office. And at night, it would come into its own anywhere. I don't think it's an age-specific scent, either. I could imagine a sophisticated 20-something enjoying it, but so could a 50-something person with classic tastes. Definitely worth trying if you like vintage-style perfume, and don't mind being noticed.

01st March, 2012 (Last Edited: 18th March, 2012)

By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

I happened to stumble randomly across this fragrance in my local department store. While it has indeed been discontinued, this particular store is still selling it.

This fragrance, that I luckily had the opportunity to test, is quite amazing and unique. Perhaps it is its unique nature that caused this fragrance a lack of sales.

By for Men is a combination of herbaceousness, pepper and nuts. The scent itself is rather bold, a big commander of presence.

I found this perfume to be both sexy and soothing, particularly with the lavender note. In all honesty, I wore this fragrance on two occasions, and I concluded that this fragrance could be unisex.

The tobacco and sandalwood in the drydown, ends By for Men with a deliciously rich smokiness which I really enjoyed. Every time I think of this fragrance's beauty it makes me quite angry to think that in the near future, this fragrance will be a distant memory.

The longevity was very good and the sillage quite strong. The bottle design was also a hit with me. It's such a shame that Dolce & Gabbana didn't think this fragrance was worthy of remaining in their collection for the long-term. By for Men is refreshingly modern, and I feel that it deserves more praise than more recent releases like The One for Men and the Anthology series.

NB. This review was written in late 2010. I believe this fragrance is no longer in stock at that particular store.

01st March, 2012 (Last Edited: 05th June, 2012)

1861 by Xerjoff

With the exception of Xerjoff Homme, I'm coming to the conlcusion that the main points of strength of Xerjoff are citruses. As previously experienced with Nio, the aromatic quality of these elements is handled to never turn into the usual chemical blast, and 1861 is here to confirm it. Fizzy, invigorating, sparkling and clean but, at the same time, it avoids the "synthetic-laundry" vibe of many modern compositions of the same family. I'm not among the biggest fans of this type of fragrances but 1861 is incredibly well done: no doubts!

Bergamot, petit grain and a sort of minty-greeeeen-lime are joined by a subtle yet clearly remarkable lily-of-the-valley note while a clean woody/musky base provides the necessary support to an otherwise efemeral fragrance. I suspect the presence of woody amber somewhere, but if it's there, it's surely not overdone.

Overall, if you're looking for a long lasting, fresh throughout, citrus centered composition, 1861 is one of the best option you can have on the market and, if compared to other deliveries from the same house, it's also "reasonably" priced. A refined spring/summer fragrance. Neither original nor groundbreaking yet incredibly lovely.

Creed lovers should definitely check this out.

01st March, 2012 (Last Edited: 03rd July, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

Really dark or better "incensey noir". This fragrance doesn't introduce the kind of accords i use to love and before testing it i tended to figure that the  smell could  be to much fruity or like fruity candy's juice full of colorants. Thanks God it doesn't happen with this concoction that is finally centralized on the main notes of frankincense, pepper and patchouli with some fruity aftertastes in the middle of the mist.  Obviously the initial fruity accord of plums, pomegranate and wild berries turns out slightly viney and a  bit crude but the intromission of dark patchouli, pepper, nutmeg and incense produces since the beginning a sort of enigmatic, medicinal, aromatic and dusty aroma that with the walk of time slides towards a more balanced woodiness with some edible fruity aftertastes swirling around. The outcome is something meditative and slightly ancestral.

01st March, 2012 (Last Edited: 14th February, 2013)