Fragrance Reviews from March 2012

Ambergris by Houbigant

OMG ... simple as that!

Primrose's avatar

Orris Noir by Ormonde Jayne

The iris might be a misnomer, but this scent is wonderful. There are other florals, but iris is not predominating.

The floral and resins blend nicely in the basenotes. The fleeting tops note, for me, give a whiff of leather, which is very pleasant.

This lasts for hours, but agree with Sugandaraja that is is not sillage-heavy.

JackTwist's avatar

Visa by Robert Piguet

I am reviewing the new formulation (2007) of VISA and I must say to my nose, it is a direct copy of Mugler's ANGEL - the same outrageous burst of balsam and berries - I adore the latter and indulge myself in this totally unique scent.

However, VISA disappears almost immediately while ANGEL, even in its edt guise, lasts all day.

Now who borrowed from who? I have no idea what the original VISA was like. If close to this, then ANGEL is not the original conception we all thought it was. If it is nothing like the new formulation, then Piguet has borrowed Mugler's formula and slapped an old label on it, but without its lasting quality. ANGEL dries down to Earl Grey Tea, divine!

Either way, ANGEL is far more affordable than any Piguet marketed scent, so probably best to get inexpensive samples of each and try them out for yourself. If you love this scent, it is merely a matter of price per quantity that will decide your purchase.

sblades138's avatar

Exceptional Because You Are by Exceptional

Horribly synthetic. Starts with a pleasant enough floral that reminds me of Ralph Lauren's Romance "Always Yours" - generic but okay for a mass-market floral. The horror, on my skin anyway, starts about half an hour later when it morphs into a sporty cheap masculine cologne/aftershave/men's antiperspirant. I kept sniffing around my couch, thinking that my husband must have fallen asleep after his alarm went off this morning and had gotten some deodorant on the couch or something (which I was going to promptly tell him to try a different scent!). Then I realized it was my arm! Ick. Seriously not a fan of this one.

sblades138's avatar

Let Me Play The Lion by LesNez

I LOVE this fragrance! I've been tempted to write Demeter and ask them to make a "Warm Kitty Fur" or "Cat in the Windowsill" fragrance or something because I love the musky smell my kitties have after they've been sitting in the hot sun. Well, this is it! I must have found this one through one of the basenotes threads about cat fur...who knows? But I like minimalist woodsy fragrances on my husband, and he likes them, too (is it weird that I want him to smell like a dusty warm cat? hah!). He's not a fan of heavy spice on himself (but he loves it on me!), and he's been trying to find more woodsy colognes that he can tolerate, but I often steal this one to wear for myself, too (yay for true unisex fragrances). This one is just strong enough without being overpowering, and the longevity is decent on the skin - although very close to the skin after a few hours. It does have a dustiness to it, but I don't find it as musky or animalic as most labeled as such (I'm thinking of the strong civet in Jicky). This and Atelier Cologne's "Bois Blonds" are two favorites of his now, and they have similar dusty-woodsy attributes that we both find attractive.

dollars&scents's avatar

Lalique White by Lalique

Lalique White by Lalique - One is initially treated to an invigorating wave of fruity citrus. A peppery and bitter bergamot commingles with lemon leaf, with its tart freshness, and tamarind, with its tangy fruitiness, creating a wonderfully fresh opening. Transitioning to the spicy heart, the opening blend is showered with cinnamon-like nutmeg as well as an anise-tinged woodiness from cardamom. A substantial helping of compost-like white pepper swirls about. And, violet leaf provides a carpet of fresh greenness for the brewing concoction. Segueing to the demure base, white cedar, with its mild, pencil shavings aura, interplays with white musk, with its soapy and clean aspects. A vanillic amber enhances the clean sensation. A relaxed drydown ensues. Despite being well constructed with quality ingredients, this trite composition is just another also-ran in its genre, and has average projection and longevity.

CHSeifert's avatar

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel

Just bought the 100 ml today and received 2 10ml EDT's extra as free samples :)

This is my first review ever in here and then I choose to review one of the most hated and laughed at frags on BN :)

It's a flanker of a flanker from the Allure line.

I own all 11 Chanel Homme frags and all in the largest available bottle sizes.

I have to say that I love the original Allure Homme and have done so since it was released.

Then came the Allure Sport and to me this is nothing special, but yet it's the top seller from Chanel for 10 years - and I have to admit, that while it's boring and safe, it is a very good sport scent and one of the better sport frags out there.

Eau Extreme is NOTHING like the other Allure frags.

The top notes gives you a sweet cloying minty vanilla with a bit of citrus in there.
    This frag is quite heavy for a sport fragrance - I feel this might have rather good longevity for such a type of frag.
    I still sense the vanilla & mint in the dry down, but the Tonka Bean is more prevalent along with the musk and cedar.

All in all I actually give this a thumbs up rating.

Longevity on my skin was very good - 7-8 hours solid.
    Projection is strong for the first 1-2 hours, then the scent stays closer to the skin.

I actually like this frag more than I though I would.
    Imagine a JPG Le Male in a lighter less cloying version and with the mid notes from the Allure Sport - this is what Eau Extreme smells like to my nose.

Rating:
    Longevity: 8/10
    Projection: 8/10
    Scent: 9/10 (for a sport scent)

If you don't like Le Male and Allure Sport, then stay far far away from this.
    If you like Le Male and/or Allure Sport, you definitely should check this frag out.

Lolalemon's avatar

Calvin Klein Beauty by Calvin Klein

I am surprised that none of the previous reviews recognized this is a rather straight forward jasmine scent. (no tuberose, no gardenia).
    If you like the smell of star jasmine in bloom, you will enjoy this as it's a very close match. Some jasmine scents have that indolic funk that smells unpleasant -- there is no indolic funk in Beauty. It's clear as a bell.
    The musk smooths it out giving it creaminess and the cedar spices it up-- in essence pumping up what natural jasmine smells like. This all said- the first spray was sharp and brought to mind a bigger perfume (think poison, red door) than it dried down to. It ended up fairly uncomplicated, but still a powerful floral. If you like jasmine, or even big florals (such as the big tuberose in Michael Kors Michael, you should give it a shot. Most other Jasmines miss the mark, Beauty nails it.

Darvant's avatar

Max Mara by Max Mara

Musk, magnolia and powder. This scent is sensual, clean, quiet and soapy. The opening is peppery and citrusy, the blast is not particularly angular but sharp and almost dusty. The cloud starts soon to soften towards something smoother and musky but with a spicy, almost edible, and finally soapy warmth. The final powder is characterized by the dominant smell of magnolia and by the powderiness of cedarwood. Comforting but unclassy and linear.

Cumarin's avatar

Finland Finland

Chance Eau Tendre by Chanel

This is very much in the style of Light Blue. Citruses and patchouli. LB is a bit heavier, so if one likes LB all year round he/she could change into a "Ligh Blue Light" by wearing Chance Eau Tendre for summer.
    This is not really close to the original Chance. The original I do not like at all, but this would be wearable and even nice for some occasions that require a light scent.

09 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2012)

alfarom's avatar

Citrine by Olivier Durbano

Considering how pretty much all of the other Durbano's creations range from being uninteresting to simply unpleasant (with the exception of Black Tourmaline) I was ready for another disappoinment but, Citrine smells good.

It opens with spicy-peppery notes joined by a huge amount of fizzy citruses. A remarkable resinous undertone is immediately detectable and opens the door to a consistent rosewood note that, IMO, is the true star of this composition. The myrrh, together with other woods get more prominent while slight flowery patterns add refinements and some complexity. In this phase Citrine is not very distant from an hypothetical mash-up between Keiko Mecheri's Olibanum and Comme Des Garcons Palisander. Amber remarks its presence with a tad of sweetness, while hints of citruses provide sparkling undertones throughout.

Good stuff.

09 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 04 April, 2012)

drseid's avatar

New West for Him by Aramis

Excellent scent from Aramis that is an aquatic for people who dislike aquatics. If calone were not listed in the top notes, I could easily see this as not the aquatic it is categorized as, but a lighter fresher summer version of the classic Aramis scent Havana. I'm getting top notes of citrus, with the calone not standing out in the least (a very good thing), then the top notes recede and spicy notes of bay leaf, nutmeg and rosemary emerge, combining with a natural smelling tobacco leaf (the same one I smell in Havana). If you are looking for a "non aquatic", aquatic that is outside the norm (or even just a great scent in general), New West for Him is absolutely worth a sniff, and in my opinion a buy. The perfect companion scent to Havana by the same company. 3.5 stars out of 5.

09 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st December, 2012)

ericrico's avatar

Acteur by Azzaro

I got a Vintage bottle recently prior to reformulation - the moss is definitely there and shows up in the mid-notes on the skin (on clothing, this is radiating a deep, dark rose (not dirty like Zino Davidoff's - very different vein due to the mace note, which is superb). This rose is not a "fresh" bloom, but one that has start to drop a couple of petals into the bowl of fresh and dried fruit under it (definitely some nice fruit notes in here). However, what keeps the rose from being "off" (or too wilted) is actually the sharp carnation, in my opinion (brilliant). I actually think it fits perfect into the structure. A bright, cheerful rose note would not fit into this simply wonderful composition...wow! Damn good.

Two sprays - one on my inner arm and one on my sleeve right above it and this is really nice. It would take a confident man to wear this - most definitely.

I will comment on the "Azzaro-vibe" - it is only slightly there. It is more in the structure, not the scent (if you own Vintage Azzaro Pour Homme, then you understand what I mean). It is how the scent evolves and how the components blend. No similarities to Azzaro Pour Homme - this is, in my opinion (as I boldly say) just as good as Vintage Azzaro Pour Homme and far better than current formulation ApH (not even ballpark close there).

Wow - the wood in this is so well-integrated with the florals and the fruits are drying down a bit. The heart of cedar blends beautifully into the warm musk and amber.

Lots of great reviews here - I too, get a slightly "boozy" note from the combined mace, fruit notes (not mentioned here) and dark rose. This is actually radiating warmth on my arm - I am more than impressed.

Final score - 9+/10, Vintage formulation!! I look forward to a full wearing of this, because I definitely have the confidence. This is awesome juice and I would not think to layer it. I have not tried the current release, which is missing the moss - but this is not even a moss-laden scent (I definitely smell it, but other notes are more prevalent and dominant).

Final thought - This is a warm, masculine and beautiful fragrance!

09 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 05 November, 2013)

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Carlo Corinto Rouge by Carlo Corinto

Corinto "Rouge"??????
    This perfume is the exact oposite of Rouge, I would have call it Corinto "Verte"
    It is one of the greenest perfumes I know and I do not think it is unbalanced. Maybe a little "synthetic", but still very pleasant. Very good projection and logevity. I don't find any faults really, but again, is not a perfume I would kill for either.
    One positive thing about it: Women love it, and that is good enough for me LOL

shamu1's avatar

Tea Rose by Perfumer's Workshop

So, you think you like rose fragrances? You can't call yourself a fan of rose until you try Tea Rose. This one perfume is the litmus test.

Smelled up close, or sprayed too liberally, it smells crass and cheap. One or two spritzes on your chest and wrists, and you're graced with probably the most ethereal, transparent, soft and lovely rose fragrances ever made. I love how linear it is, because it smells like pure rose from begining to end. So no lame-ass vanilla musk drydowns here. By the way, "end" is well over 12 hours after application. Its sillage is brutal too, so only a spritz or two is more than enough for a whole day.

Tea Rose obviously makes a great women's perfume, but it's also a good men's scent. That is, if you love the smell of rose, and as long as you don't overapply it. If you're a guy and you don't already LOVE rose, then forget it. You'll hate this. And if you think you'll spray this on like you wear Aramis Havana, forget about it too. You'll smell like an old lady if you do that.

Both thumbs way up, and a perfect score from me.

MY RATING: 10/10

CHSeifert's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

I really tried hard to like this fragrance.
    I ordered the Cologne edition, but received the EDT version. I heard the Cologne version would be more gentle in the top note and base. Habit Rouge, no matter how I try to look at this frag, does somehow just smell like an old ladies perfume.
    I really like the old classic citrus frags with the musky base - love YSL Homme Concentrée, Chanel Pour MOnsieur Concentrée, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Armani Pour Homme & Monsieur de Givenchy - and thought Habit Rouge would be along these frags, but YES and NO, it has a lot of citrus, but somehow the floral note in this just turns me off in the long run…….
    I know a lot of the regular frag heads time after time mention that scent has no gender and I agree, but not completely ;)
    The floral 'thin' flower notes JUST IS NOT AND WILL NEVER be considered masculine. NEVER EVER !
    I'm not saying Habit Rouge is ultra feminine, but it definitely is on the verge of smelling like an old lady perfume.
    Just not something I will ever like to smell on myself nor on my GF. I tried to wait for Habit Rouge to evolve - but it stays very linear on my skin, 1-2-3 hours almost give me the same scent - floral notes combined with very light citrus.
    Longevity is pretty good for this frag - 8-10 hours and projection (unfortunately) is quite powereful - 2-3 hours and 2-3 feet. Just can not learn to appreciate this frag - so have to rate it a 4/10. I will not appreciate this frag on myself nor on a woman. Sorry Habit Rouge fans, even if I tried the Perfume or Cologne version, I have a really hard time thinking it would change my mind about this frag.

jamwires's avatar

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

When I first sampled Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille, I was slightly underwhelmed. I expected a beautifully executed fragrance featuring simply tobacco and vanilla. What I got was a linear Christmas candle. It took me a few months to stumble upon Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille, but when I did... damn.

This is what tobacco and vanilla should be.

Vanilla is the star here. Boozy vanilla. The vanilla extract comparison is fair, but it's a MUCH deeper fragrance than that. This fragrance is not linear, it just unfolds a little slower, and lasts forever. There are dirty elements, including a wonderful tobacco note that whispers tasteful elegance. This is definitely unisex, doesn't shout, and exudes class. The booziness fades very slowly into a softer vanilla, but this isn't something that happens over a few hours, this is a day-long drydown!

All other vanilla scents I own are about to meet the trashcan.

srmd22's avatar

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Smells fruity and a little sour on me. Not terrible, might wear it for the gym or out door activity. Terrible projection, longevity is a few hours. Not a thumbs down, but not recommended, as your money is much better spent elsewhere.

forget-me-not's avatar

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

This is easily the best fragrance I've ever found to counter the abundance of overly-floral, cloyingly sweet, profusion of white flowers in the ladies' selection of "fresh" fragrances. I'm not one to enjoy sweet fragrances, nor the pungently floral ones. I have always searched for a truly earthy, woodsy, nature-inspired scent for ladies, minus the stuff I can't tolerate. This is it.

Light Blue begins with a burst of citrus; after a few seconds, you begin to pick up the bluebells and bamboo, and as the fragrance dries down, the heart notes really shine -- cedarwood, amber, etc. This fragrance has SERIOUS staying power, too; I can apply it lightly to my hair, and I can still smell it perfectly well the next DAY. Scent is beautiful; apples, citrus, musk, and bamboo, draped beautifully over a heart of cedar and moss. When your three-year old niece buries her face in your hair and inhales deeply over and over and says, "You smell soooooo good..." -- well, you know you've got a winner.

I love Light Blue. I wish there was a bit more of the cedarwood and moss heart after drydown. To me, it would then be truly perfect.

autumngleeman's avatar

Secrets de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

I like secrets de rose. It's a well executed dark rose, a bitter black petaled rose. This is a great option for guys who might be searching for a dark rose scent but without aoud, which is the most popular method of executing a dark rose scent (at least in men's perfume).

serafina's avatar

England England

Fleur d'Oranger 27 by Le Labo

I find myself puzzled by the negative reviews. For me this scent evokes memories of Jericho in spring, warmth, the decoratively carved ruins of a Hasmonean palace, a softness in the air and an overarching shimmer of orange blossom. It is a light, uncomplex,still scent. Not much mystery or depth, but perfect for a spring weekend or for business when you want to seem less complicated than you are. I don't have to work at it, just be carried to something summery and warm on its breath and for that reason perhaps not a perfume buff's scent, but pleasing nevertheless.

autumngleeman's avatar

Diabolo Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

Diabolo rose is extremely fresh. I agree with the note desciptions below, and it is a pretty simple and straightforward composition, so i won't have more to say about it by way of note analysis. I have found that many of rosine's scents are male appropriate despite the feminine classifications, so it would behoove a rose loving guy to try them out. In this case though, dabolo feels decidedly feminine. On paper it looks like it might work as a unisex, but the reality is that the individual components seem to stack sweet on top of sweet just a little too much for a man to wear without something acting against the sweetness as a counter-balance and contrast.

mesaboogie's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I'm strolling along a green, damp hillside on a rainy afternoon. The smell of wet earth and flowers combine to make a beautiful melody of scent. That's what GIT smells like to me. Forget the Cool Water comparisons b/c GIT is far too natural smelling. Projection is strong at first and longevity is a good 7-8 hours. This cologne has been over-hyped to death, but it's definitely a great smelling fragrance.

alfarom's avatar

Métal by Paco Rabanne

Metal to me smells like an extremely dry, green floral chypre. An old-fashioned, strongly aldehydic, floral (mainly hiacynth and muguet) with a remarkable dry quality. Fresh, bitter, easy to wear...anything but metallic. If you're into Temps D'Une Fete / Givenchy III / No.19 type of stuff, you'll dig this. Much underrated...

hyblaean's avatar

Madeline by Ava Luxe

The opening is the killer for me. It's reminiscent of over-spiced eggnog with everclear in it. It's mellowing as I write this, but still too harsh for a room spray, much less anything more personal. Some comfort scent :p
    ......................
    coming back to this later...oranges balance clove/allspice nicely, milk, not so much. It's good to know. Makes me wonder how eggnog can smell so good, when all the components here, just don't.

NOEL MAHC's avatar

Valentina by Valentino

I had a chance to smell the scent strip in a magazine. At first, it was nice and creamy. Then that horrible "mothball" note came in! So I don't know if I'll try to get a liquid sample.

NOEL MAHC's avatar

Eternity Love by Calvin Klein

This was great. It's a cross between Pivoine by Esteban and Aroma M Geisha Blanche. It's just less "peppery" than Pivoine.

magali's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Un Air de Samsara by Guerlain

I agree with Awsomeness. I much prefer the original Samsara. There is something not quite right with this one and longevity is not great. It's still ok on occasions or if you are afraid of Samsara.

Darvant's avatar

Calèche Eau Délicate by Hermès

Cottony, rosey and a bit ozonic, this is the Eau Delicate version of the great Caleche, a very gentle office-daily time semi opaque  floral-aldehydic scent with a leathery temperament, a touch of salt and pepper and an airy dimention because of the projecting role soaring from the aldehydes. The latter are classic  in the link with citrus, rose-jasmine and cedarwood. Very classy, a bit powdery, delicately floral and discreet.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

"Attention, fragrance shoppers!

Take advantage of our penny fragrance sale.
    If you buy one bottle of fragrance at the regular price...

you'll get another bottle of fragrance of equal or lesser value for only a penny.
    Try and beat fragrance for a penny!
    If you can find cheaper fragrance anywhere, wear it!

Hey, what do we have approaching here?

A new flavour: apple pie fragrance."

When it finally dawned on me that TV smelled like apple pie a la mode, specifically with high quality vanilla ice cream, I thought of Cheech Marin's scene in From Dusk till Dawn.
    And that really is it. I'm certain that the intent behind this fragrance was to smell like apple pie. The tobacco is a faint whisper that only serves to enhance the apple pie spices. There also isn't much bass to it; it shrieks like a banshee without any darkness or woods. That's not to say there's no base, as the whole damn fragrance is a linear superbase.

The sillage and longevity on this on are off the meat hook, chain, scale, walls, and outta sight. If you like TV and buy a bottle you are absolutely getting more value per dollar than if you bought any run-of-the-mill designer fragrance, despite the high price tag. Two sprays would probably be too much for just about any occasion. I have a 1.5 ml sample, I've worn it 3 times, one of the times I went too far and it was nuclear, and I STILL have some left. So the price really shouldn't be an issue for anyone.