Fragrance Reviews from March 2012

Black Aoud by Montale

I really thought I would love Black Aoud by Montale. It was said to be similar to the more recent release, Portrait of a Lady by Frédéric Malle that I absolutely adore, so if so, how could I *not* love this too?

Well, after now trying the Montale, I do see where the comparisons are coming from with both scents relying on a rose, patchouli and Oud combo to create their dark rose accords... Unfortunately, that is where the comparison ends, IMO... Black Aoud's synthetic Oud note that mixes with the rose early on immediately strikes me as a bit bizarre. It makes the rose a more watery, "feminine" and slightly rubbery that just does not fit my tastes much. A nice dark rose scent to be sure, but hard to wear, IMO. With Portrait of a Lady I find a much deeper and natural smelling rose opening with a superior quality patchouli heart that makes it a lot more easy to wear and appreciate for me, at least. Black Aoud has very good projection, but longevity is somewhat lacking on my skin. I get about five hours longevity with it at decent strength and that is well-below average for me.

So the bottom line is Black Aoud is a good scent and it deserves a lot of credit for bringing attention to the rose, patchouli, Oud combo that is so popular nowadays. That said, Portrait of a Lady perfects the blend with much better quality IMO, and adds raspberry to the mix for good measure for a more wearable and balanced package. Portrait of a Lady would have to be a "must sample first" before buying Black Aoud, IMO. A weak thumbs up for Black Aoud by Montale and a 3 stars out 5 rating.

Caravelle Epicée by Frapin

Caravelle Epicee is a bit of a puzzle that is difficult to crack. It is a very nice spicy scent that opens with a blast of herbs mixed with spices like coriander and nutmeg, while including some cumin that similar (in a good way) to Idole de Lubin, does not present the dreaded BO note like most cumin does in scents. This is a great opening and portends more great things to come from the scent... A fiery hot pepper is added to the mix to warm the spices even further... and then all of a sudden the scent nearly disappears on my skin. I remember thinking "That's it?"... Luckily it reappears within the half hour and adds a base primarily made of amber and sandalwood that is subtle but quite nice. Not much going on here in the way of either longevity or projection on my skin at least contrary to others.

All in all, I rather liked Caravelle Epicee, but I find it a bit similar to spicy scents like Idole de Lubin edp, and I prefer that one of the two, for example. Definitely worth a sniff, and if you love spicy scents, maybe even a buy. 3 stars out of 5.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A very nice take on amber by Lutens here. Ambre Sultan opens with a ton of herbs and spice. At first I was afraid the spice might be a tad too much, but things soon get under control a few minutes into the scent's development. As the spices recede, the amber emerges to mingle with them in just the right proportions of spice to amber. The dry-down adds a bit of sandalwood to sweeten things a bit, but Amber Sultan never makes the mistake of a lot of other amber scents in being *too* sweet. Even in the dry-down remnants of the spice remains to keep things interesting. Projection is above average, as is longevity. Ambre Sultan is maybe not my absolute favorite amber scent, but it must be in the top three or four I have tried to date and is highly recommended and full bottle worthy, IMO. 4 stars out of 5.

FumeHood's avatar
    FumeHood
    Brazil Brazil

Al Oudh by L'Artisan Parfumeur

November, 2013:

Wow. Amazing the things you discover here. According to cwill, I am enamored with the smell of ball sweat, nothing more, nothing less. Who knew?

March, 2012:

I am surprised by the lack of reviews for a two-year-old GORGEOUS scent by L'Artisan. Perhaps it received too many comments at its launch and was overly discussed to the point of exhaustion?

Regardless, the rumors perpetuated by the oud connoisseurs are true: The name is misleading. This is far less about the Oud and more about an middle eastern sunset accompanied by dried fruit, civet, musk, and vanilla-soaked woods. There is a warm boozy nature througout and, yes - a little skin. I get a cumin note, but it blends well with the animalic undertones (more so than in, say, Timbuktu - where some find that note a deal breaker).

As Muscs Kublai Khan tends to polarize in its sexy vs. rank categorization, so will Al Oudh. Though I find this more delicious and rich-smelling than both MKK and Musc Ravageur, and more wearable than another smelly beauty, Absolue Pour Le Soir . Al Oudh's staying power is tremendous and not linear - the drydown of warm woods being a Duchaufour specialty.

Al Oudh is Not a blind buy. But if you like scents that are incredibly sensuous, deep, warm, spicey, notably HUMAN in their balance of animalics, and without any nod to the laundered age, this could be your holy grail. It has been among my favorites since its release and, while certainly not for every occasion, it is spot-in for the most intimate of moments :-)

17 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 29 November, 2013)

dollars&scents's avatar
    dollars&scents

Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums

Ambre 114 by Histoire de Parfums - A rather different accord greets one initially. A somewhat piquant and savory thyme commingles with the cinnamon-like nutmeg, fostering an atypical, sweetly herbaceous slant. A nascent amber draws the curious blend to its heart. Here, the amber comes into full bloom, with its earthy sweetness, noticeably tempered by an ample geranium, with its forceful greenness and faintly sour undertone. Glimpses of a minty patchouli as well as the clumped, field-grass aspect of vetiver also present. A creamy, balsamic, and faintly spicy, woods accord can also be discerned. And, a lovely, cabernet-like rose makes an appearance. Transitioning to the base, the resinous amber is lifted by a warm, vanillic tonka bean. Labdanum couples with vanilla and benzoin to create a wonderful, ambergris illusion. A clean musk adds to the delightful experience. An enchanting drydown ensues. Admittedly, this is a beautiful, sweetish scent, with average projection and longevity. However, its composition is somewhat banal, hence, my unenthusiastic "Thumbs Up" rating.

Vellyr's avatar
    Vellyr

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Smells ok, but there's this weird salad dressing accord that puts me off.

Dmotron's avatar
    Dmotron

McGraw by Tim McGraw

The scent to me is great for the price. I can smell the boozy notes, and nice woody note to. I like it but it doesn't project well after and hour and longevity is spotty, you can get 6 hours one day then under 4 the next. It's a great at home scent...that's it.

KarmaLee's avatar
    KarmaLee

Mon Peche / My Sin by Long Lost Perfume

I got a lovely vintage bottle today in an antique story--and it made me close my eyes and sigh. It is deep and complex. The opening lasts a long time on my skin, and the heart notes rise up and stay and stay. I will see how it lives on my skin overnight.

Why, oh, why do the gorgeous ones get lost to time?

I can smell all of the accords listed. This is not linear, but more like a spiral of scent.

KarmaLee's avatar
    KarmaLee

Hawaiian White Ginger by Avon

I just got this today at an antique store, and it is such a find. First, the bottle: a little rotund pig, with a jadeite-green bakelite lid, AND a little cloth flower. Very vintage bottle and the scent is gentle, and a bit tropical, with a bit of an herb bite. I cannot believe how good some of the vintage Avons seem to be to my nose. And this little pig is adorable.

Isaac's avatar
    Isaac

Voyage by Nautica

This was my first fragrance purchase. I have so say overall, it's worth the money. I would not mind paying $50 for this fragrance. I, however, got it cheaper through other sources.

What it smells like: This fragrance smells very fresh in the opening. You can smell a synthetic apple on the top that gives it a nice fruity smell. The apple is not overpowering, but its definitely there. The apple drops off after about 30 minutes. That is where the floral qualities come in. It has an almost spicy quality, this gets enhanced in the dry down. The dry down is a bit of a let down for me. Its like the mid, but less exciting. Its very musky and mossy. I'm not saying it's bad, but compared to the other progressions of this fragrance, it is not the best part. To make an analogy, imagine you are walking in a swamp. You are walking alongside the water for a while, when suddenly a boat appears. You can smell the woody qualities of the boat, but you don't quite forget you are in the swamp. You go to the heart of the swamp. There are a few flowers growing in the water joined by a lot of moss. You finally get out of the boat. There is no water anymore. Instead, it is replaced by a musky/mossy forest.

Scent 8/10
    Projection 6/10
    Longevity 8/10
    Price 10/10
    Over All 8/10

ericrico's avatar
    ericrico

Voile D'Ambre by Yves Rocher

I bought this for my wife for a little "stocking stuffer" at Christmas. It's simply enchanting - especially on her olive skin!

Amazing fragrance - she gets compliments like crazy and it has a beautiful composition that supports the gorgeous amber accord!

I put a little on my skin, as I knew it could be unisex. I really liked it, but this quickly became one of her favorite scents for the winter...and I didn't want us smelling the same. Plus, I have other fragrances in my collection that are loaded with amber - so this is her's. And, I love it on her.

What is downright amazing is to make sensual love to her while she puts this on her pulse points and I apply a complimentary male fragrance. One of her favorites on me is Gucci Pour Homme I with the beautiful deep wood & incense mixed with amber and vanilla. It is a coming together of body, mind, spirit and scent...harmonious.

Not to offend anyone, but this is a magical elixir with special memories for me (and my wife). ;-)

Vellyr's avatar
    Vellyr

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

Smells like very nice soap with a hint of, for lack of a better word, a very "Indian" oriental/incensy undertone. Definitely a winner.

Cashmere for Men by Cristiano Fissore

Cashmere smells fine but if by any chance you're already familiar with Gucci Pour Homme I, CDG2Man and Escentric01/Molceule 01, there're no reasons to keep it incosderation. The typical modern citrusy-peppery-incensey masculine paired with a strong (and synthetic) woody amber base. Unremarkable.

Salvador pour Homme by Salvador Dali

While being very new to fragrances, I picked this up at a very good price, along with a deodorant stick and a small sample bottle. This is a very unusual fragrance and definitely not one for everyone, or everyday wear. With my experience there is very little I can compare it to, but it is a heavy scent. I enjoy wearing it on cloudy colder days, and is something I wear because I enjoy the scent of it not something I wear to impress. Thumbs up from me, but I highly doubt it will be thumbs up from everyone

Joop! Splash by Joop!

A nice fresh fragrance. I didn't find it too sweet, and quite like the scent but it is a little bit femenine to my nose. One thing I will say is that I am completely paranoid that someone will smell this on me immediately after application. It smells like artificial watermelon flavouring, and while I had a good laugh at it the first time, I always make sure to apply this about half an hour before I leave the house.

Once the initial watermelon scent has left I quite enjoy wearing this on sunny days

Fujiyama Homme by Succès de Paris

nice lemony opening followed by absolutely nothing on me. Not even to the point of having low projection, but not being able to smell it at all when close to the wrist I had sprayed it. Having said that, it is a nice cheap scent to use after a shower and feels really good, but only for about half an hour

The Dreamer by Versace

Fantastic scent. After wearing it out a couple of times I have thoroughly enjoyed almost every minute of it. The tobacco is quite prominent to my nose, but never invasive or ashy, more like an unlit cigar. A woman asked what I was wearing too, had never heard of it, and told me she was a massive fan of it, which is always a plus. A different fragrance, probably not for everyone, but something I thoroughly enjoy.

The scent lasted all day throughout work and into the evening still quite strong, but the slight floral scents seemed to cow before the tobacco as it kept going.

One of my favourites

Black Sun by Salvador Dali

Love the opening, but after awhile all I could smell was a musky powdery sort of scent. Little bit too feminine for my taste, but something I think I will still wear occasionally. Worth it for the $10 I payed for it, but not something I think I would pay full price for

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Fahrenheit 0 Degrés by Christian Dior

A blast of citrus, aqueous flowers, aromatic herbs and mint turns out refreshing in a modern way. This formula is less stressed on the oily-petroleous and violet notable original Fahrenheit's effects while is more cool, orangy, slightly aromatic and airy with a touch of calone in my opinion. The base is sharp and cedary.  Not bad.

Chrome by Azzaro

A lot of reviews seem to dislike the metallic tang to this scent, but that is exactly what I like about it. Don't forget, it is called "Chrome" after all. A very fresh and clean smell, great for the hotter workdays. Could project a bit longer, but still a thumbs up

Late-Hit's avatar
    Late-Hit

Wrappings by Clinique

From the first time I sniffed Wrappings I knew it was unusual. Much credit is due to Estee Lauder for developing this one.

For those who don't appreciate the similarity, then I suppose some might say it smells like those sprays that are sold at Christmas to simulate the fragrance of a real Christmas tree. They are partially right.

Like many Estee Lauder products, this is a big fragrance. It is deep, it is bold, and it lasts well. It really doesn't evolve much over time, and I guess that's OK.

To me it smells very much like Balsam Fir (Christmas trees), plus frankincense, rosemary and lavender. Those are some good smells, and they certainly compliment each other very well. And there's much more in the background, too... and that's why the comparison to holiday room spray is apt, but ultimately inadequate.

Wrappings ia a great fragrance, and perfectly unisex.

JackTwist's avatar
    JackTwist

Tocade by Rochas

Hats off to the oriental bottle design - attractive and seductive on its own.

The juice itself is very Shalimar/Jicky with a dry down that includes a subtle hint of rich dark chocolate.

Smoky, dark, with a subtle, almost undetectable sweetness - this is a fine dry oriental.

schwrtz5's avatar
    schwrtz5

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I was in the market for a new cologne, I tried this one, found it unsubstantial. I eventually bought Antaeus. However, I found myself with a gift certificate, so I went back, tried it again, and bought the EDT. I am very impressed with it now, it has leapt near the top of my list. It is more delicate than my usual, but, hey! The girls seem to like it.

Dmotron's avatar
    Dmotron

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

I like this scent a lot but this doesn't belong to men at all. This isn't even unisex, its for women only...just a mistake that they put it in a man section. I would love this on my girlfriend. What is le male for men its for a woman. I rate this as a neutral because its a very good fragrance, just not for a man...way too floral and powdery...but if you dig those notes then its for you. Projection and longevity is just a more amped up version of le male...WOW, be easy with the trigger.

leto's avatar
    leto
    Turkey Turkey

Vetiver by Perlier

Tried this today. No vetiver to be smelled in it, it is more like a traditional lemon cologne.

Larr7's avatar
    Larr7

Windsor by Creed

I have about 12-13 Creed Fragrances, most of them I really like, some not as much. I think they make the best fragrances in the world. That said; I just received my 8.4 oz flacon of Windsor yesterday, billed out at nearly $700.00. I can honestly say that this is by far the worst fragrance I have ever smelled by Creed. And to charge that amount of money is ludicrous. It did smell like moth balls, but only lasted about an hr on my skin. I purchased this at Neiman Marcus online, not sure if they will allow a return, as I can go to Wal-Mart and purchase a far superior fragrance for $20.00. Now, don't get me wrong, Creed has many Fabulous Fragrances, this is Not one of them!! Definitely test before buying. I had no means of testing, I just relied on the reviews I read, expecting an exceptional fragrance. Boy, was I disappointed.

bokaba's avatar
    bokaba

Eau de Patou (original) by Jean Patou

I was surprised I hadn't yet reviewed Eau de Patou. Designed by my hero, Jean Kerleo (also designed Patou pour Homme, Prive, and Ma Liberte) this one was a no-brainer. At first sniff, it struck me as not too exciting, but then the quality of ingredients and artistry came into play and I was quite impressed. The opening is a fruity citrus of high quality (not the typically bright, hesperidic citrus one usually associates with eau de colognes) that was dense and rich. Then the floral elements of ylang, orange blossom, jasmine, nasturtium, and honeysuckle (a bit feminine, but you'll live) emerge and interplay with the gentle base of oakmoss (the real thing), civet, musk, and amber to keep it going. I would get a bottle if you can. Eau de Patou exemplifies old world and old-fashioned sophistication along with good old-fashioned craftsmanship.

Series 3: #087 by N.Hoolywood by Six Scents Parfums

Cut grass and marine notes in the classic modern style. Nutmeg and hinoki add slight spicy/woody undertones. Not completely bad. A nice option for anyone who's looking for a plausible alternative to not wear any fragrance. Not for me though...

1681 by Carthusia

1681 was quite a good surprise for me even if I'm not particularly fond of Carthusia's fragrances. An iris driven opening pleasantly leaning towards the waxy side (lipstick) and enriched by herbs (rosemary), lavender and musk. The frankincense note is remarkably present throughout adding some depth expecially in the middle phase. Woody patterns and hints of neroli/bergamot enhance the classic aspect of this "modern" masculine composition.

Overall 1861 is quite an unique fragrance that's at the same time very wearable yet anything but silly. Distinctive and discreet, classic and modern, "serious". If you happen to visit italy don't miss the chance to check Carthusia's fragrances as they sell way much cheaper than overseas. Very nice.

Genghis Khan by Marc de la Morandiere

Ok, after all the praise I've heard about Gengis Khan I was probalby expecting too much but, as a matter of fact, I'm not particularly impressed. Don't get me wrong, this is a fine fragrance if you're into typical (stereotyped?) 80's and early 90's masculines but it's neither particularly outstanding nor cheap. Quite powerful yet nowhere close being a powerhouse.

I would classify Gengis Khan as a dark/fresh spicy-woody with a strong herbal presence. Resins and patchouli play relevant roles as well. I won't go through notes explanation but here're a few names that came to mind: Esencia, Tenerè, Dalì Pour Homme, Acteur, Bijan Men...

Be aware that not all of the above fragrance are necessarely and/or objectively related to Gengis Khan but they came to mind as a sort of stream of consciusness...