Fragrance Reviews from April 2012

L'Eau Neuve Inédite by Lubin

If I may quote directly from my sample card:

"With a top note of rose water, fresh and pure like a Sicilian orange, Inédite is a sweet, spicy creation adorned with a floral accord of heliotrope, lilac and rose, and topped with a fruity note of nectarine. Vanilla, iris and patchouli transform the sweet seduction of dragée sweets into an aroma of spices. Exuding sensual Circassian beauty accented with notes of cinnamon, pepper and coriander, cedar and musk base notes make its Eastern-inspired foundation even more irresistible."

L'Eau Neuve Inédite is subtitled 'Dragées of Aziyadé', and it's easy to visualise pastel-hued sugared almonds while smelling this deliciously subtle fragrance. There's a hint of pencil-shavings in there (possibly from the cedar), but I find this enhances the composition. Citric fruitiness is noticeable in the initial spray, then the florals blend seamlessly with spices, woods and musk to create the enchanting dragée effect. After several minutes, if I wave my wrist around I get wafts of rosewater - nice!

To my nose, this is pleasantly understated, delicate and feminine fragrance.

Reflection Man by Amouage

Love this smell. I am finding that I like the smell of neroli. There is no vanilla listed but it gives the feeling that it there is some in it. I have yet to find someone who is put off by the smell. 3 to 4 sprays on this one is all you need and lasts all day into the night, with the later hours being a lighter scent, but I kinda like it that way.

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

Very nice mellow green scent. I almost got this for spring, but the price tag made me think otherwise. Even though I like this scent I'd rather have Green Irish Tweed for the price point.

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

I personally don't like this smell, BUT it's not an off putting smell. The lemon is a very tart one and is really strong to my nose. Then after it starts to dry down a bit the smell to me turns a little weird. Hard to describe, but all I can say is weird. If you like the smell of margaritas than this is for you.

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

I don't smell the coffee in this, which kind of disappoints me because thats what I was looking for when I bought this. HOWEVER...... this does remind me of maple syrup on pancakes with a cube of butter. My wife loves it, and to her dismay so do other women.

Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

Basil, basil, basil, some more basil and a splash or lemon juice. Very off-putting to me. The projection is big so is the longevity. I wished I liked basil more.

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

Love this stuff. Not as much as Millesime Imperial, but close. Replace the watermelon in MI with cucumber and you have Wall Street. Wall Street has more of a "fresh" vibe and lasts longer.

nefastvs's avatar

Bois de Cédrat by Creed

Starts of a nice and fresh citrus and wood scent that dries to a barely noticeable sour note.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

I only sprayed on spray on from the counter at Macys. Very strong sea water smell. I liked it at first but then it became overwhelming. My wife was pissed at me because the whole ride home the car was engulfed with not only this smell but aqua marine as well. Too bad the projection wasn't tuned down a little.

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

Like this one a little better than the original as it was lighter, but still has that sea water smell that projects into my head making it very off putting.

Back to Black by By Kilian

Black licorice is all I can smell. I don't like black licorice. I won't give it a negative just because its a smell I don't like. You can tell this was blended well.

killerloop's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Going to do a comparison review with this and the EDP/Extreme version.

Own both this and the Extreme (EDP) versions and I love both of them. The EDT was the first one I had sampled and surprisingly I didn't like it my first couple of wearings. I revisited my sample after a couple weeks when I was feeling curious about smelling it once again and then I was hooked.

Citrus/woodsy cocoa but the progressions and stages are more dragged out and more of a transitional journey than the EDP. The EDP gives me a brief play with the citrusy top but soon gets down to business with an exquisite bitter cocoa that's practically impossible to not want to keep smelling!

Both are similar, yes, but the wearing are two totally different olfactory experiences. I highly recommend sampling both, at least a few wearings before purchasing.

This gets 5/5 from me as well as the EDP. Both are fragrances I seriously wouldn't hesitate wearing every day. I've noticed I reach for these first if I don't already know what I want to wear. Guess you can say, they are now a staple in my wardrobe and my go-to frags!

Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules

I have worn this fragrance on four different occasions this past week. Each time I’ve worn it I’ve gotten a different scent response. The first time I wore it I got an all-encompassing generic woody incense aroma that hearkened back to the mild transgressions of my younger college days. The second time around I could hardly detect it but strangely others could. Yesterday I caught faint whiffs of something verdant with hints of sweetened sandalwood, which inexplicably had a way of getting lodged in my nasal cavity. Tonight I decided to mix it with an Etsy perfumer’s vanilla and spice perfume oil. The mix is utterly delightful and completely amplified. The vanilla is uniquely smoky without the syrupy sweetness. The Iso E Super and the spices create a chai tea-like flavor (and I say flavor because I can almost taste this as well as smell it). Either partnered with another scent or used alone this is a heavenly scent that plays like a fragrant mood ring.

I can understand why this would be a top-selling fragrance but now that I know it can be created with a few inexpensive ingredients in my bathroom, it astonishes me that anyone would pay niche prices for this. Had I not known, though, I would have gladly handed over my hard-earned cash for this mercurial scent.

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

When I was much younger (say about five to seven years old) I went to a predominantly Armenian/Eastern European-American elementary school. Los Angeles would eventually bestow the district where my elementary school was located with the name ‘Little Armenia’. One of the strongest, most redolent memories I have of those years was the smell of the beautiful mothers who came to pick up my school chums. Their clothes, their hair, their jewelry, their makeup and, mostly, their fragrances were bold and over-the-top beautiful. I thought then, as I still believe now, these women were the ultimate epitome of womanhood and beauty. My parents eventually decided the big city was no place to raise a child; children needed routine, a backyard, and a dwelling that allowed dogs and cats. I loved growing up in the suburbs but the sense of glamor was lost in the move. None of the suburban moms showed up dressed to the nines, smelling of sweet spices and exotic flowers; that got traded in for drugstore classics as Charlie and White Shoulders. These safe fragrance choices were a microcosm of the overall lack of daring, bombastic personality in suburban living.

By no means am I criticizing life in the suburbs; I still live in the outskirts of Los Angeles. However, sometimes the city girl in me wants to break out like the protagonist in (the original Kevin Bacon version of) Footloose. Sometimes I want to shake things up without making a single move. Andy Tauer’s L’Air du Desert Marocain completely enables me to do this. It’s a stand out fragrance that is guaranteed to turn heads. The sillage might as well be a flying carpet, taking others out of their droll routine and on an olfactory adventure with the wearer. This is the beauty that was only definable by the Armenian/Eastern European mothers of my past. There is an indefinable spiciness that cannot be singled out or easily detected but it is certainly there. This is probably a first where I cannot break down the note I detect or the phases of the scent—I am a love-struck woman.

It is infinitely sexier than any expensive lingerie and I can imagine a refined man of the world pulling this off with the same sex appeal as any woman. I know any words I try to use or any hyperbole I try to include won’t even begin to define the exotic sexiness of this fragrance. This is a fragrance that can only be understood by wearing it.

Incense Rosé by Tauer

When I stepped into heaven, ahem, I mean The Scent Bar, this was the first scent I requested for sampling. I had been coveting a bottle of this cozy juice since reading some very positive review. I adore a good, heady, rich and complex rose fragrance; my days of dousing myself in the drugstore classic Tea Rose are behind me. (I do not mean to demean Tea Rose or anyone who loves it—it’s a classic for a very good reason.) By the reviews and the notes listed, not to mention Andy Tauer’s reputation as a perfuming ingénue, Incense Rose sounded like the perfume I would have created if I had a mind to create my own fragrances.

What I was expecting and what I got were two different things. However, in both scenarios—the scent as I imagined it in my mind and what actually unfurled on my skin—were very satisfying. In my mind I expected EL’s Cinnabar and Stella to create a laboratory love child and call it Incense Rose. I expected a bombastic incense (yep, I took the name too literally) and a fragrance equivalent to the 1980s opulence of the “Dynasty” soap opera’s wardrobe. What I experienced instead was a spicy cup of unsweetened orange pekoe tea that later morphed into a subtle yet spicy rose, which sat prettily atop a potpourri of fragrant woods. I was startled at first by the orange pekoe opening but I’m actually excited by the discovery of a fragrance that captures one of my favorite scents: tea as it steeps in a steaming cup of freshly-poured hot water. The drydown does come across a bit like a masculine bar of soap; lucky for me I love the scent of soap—I blame my astrological sign, Virgo, for my love of soapy/clean scents. It is probably inappropriate to compare this to a celebrity scent but the drydown reminds me of JLo’s Glow After Dark if it had been executed properly. From beginning to end, it’s love.

I found this sat very close to my skin and there wasn’t much in the way of sillage. This discovery was probably the biggest surprise to me. Every movement of my wrist provided a pleasant whiff of fragrance that has yet to settle down, though; I am pleased by its very tenacious staying power. It’s a soft mercurial scent that kept my nose buried in my wrist. I will definitely be making the investment once I get my finances in order.

Acqua di Sale by Profumum

I took an afternoon excursion over to The Scent Bar in Los Angeles after a year of salivating over fragrances and samples from the boutique’s website. Though the store was a tad bit larger than a walk-in closet, it was a walk-in closet from heaven. I was overwhelmed by and in awe of the selection of niche fragrances, especially as a niche virgin. As anyone reading this can tell I am still coming down from the adrenaline rush of finally making the trip. I rattled off a list of fragrances I wanted to smell when the sa (or, proprietor?) asked me point-blank, “What do you like in a perfume and how do you want to feel when you wear it?” Way to tactfully get me to focus! I expressed interest in unusual beachy scents. This is one of many scents he had me try. This is the one that stood out among the many beach scents.

This starts out with a seemingly intentional artificial orange blossomy scent, which mimics old school Coppertone in my mind. (Peculiar, I get orange blossom though it is clearly not in this, or at least not listed anywhere.) Underlying this is the saltiness of a light sweat in the summer’s afternoon sun along with the driftwood and seaweed of the ocean’s air. The screechingly sweet artificiality of the Coppertone note keeps me from absolutely loving it. Yet it is the entire mix—including the artificial note—that keeps me sniffing compulsively. I love it, then I find myself annoyed by the overwhelming Coppertone note, and then I round back to loving it again. This fragrance truly confuses me! One interesting thing about this fragrance: it has the ability to transport the wearer and others around the wearer to the nearest deserted beach as the fog rolls in, when the smell of the tide is strongest. Love it or hate it, you’re going to be transported to the beach; the sillage will be taking others along with you, as this is a sillage monster.

With the complex woody drydown I would personally consider this an ozonic chypre (if there is such a thing; if not, this fragrance proves there should be). I do not typically care for chypres but I find them the most interesting of all the scents in the fragrance kingdom. This is among the most interesting of the chypres I have yet smelled. I don’t have the $240.00+ for this and if I did I am not so sure I would make the investment in this. I prefer the safety of the waters provided by Lilly Pulitzer’s Beachy but this is certainly a beach adventure in a bottle.

Bali Dream by Estée Lauder

I bought this one completely, utterly, totally blind. I did not have a smart phone on which to confer with Basenotes when I bought this. My criteria for bringing this home were (a.) it had a tropical name, thus, it must be a tropical scent and (b.) it was an Estee Lauder fragrance. I’ll buy a fragrance blindly so long as it alludes to being tropical. It isn’t really a very good litmus test but alas, I still employ it.

Bali Dream is a satisfying tropical fragrance but its tropical nature isn’t immediately apparent upon first spray. It starts out syrupy sweet and gingery. Nice but not exactly the kind of tropical I had in mind. That was my second mistake (the first being blind-buying scents based on the word ‘tropical’)—there are more tropical environments besides the obvious coconuts-and-fruit-salad ones I had envisioned. A Bali trip was referenced in a review of this on on another site and she mentioned the scents of the land itself, not the beaches. Once I read that I realized this was a uniquely exotic trip to Bali, not a seaside seat on a generic tropical beach. Suddenly I had a new appreciation for this scent.

The syrupy sweet ginger quickly gives way to a fizzy-with-a-kick ginger ale that is refreshing and cool. About a half hour later the scent of orchid unfolds and stays consistently lovely for the entire ride. Anyone smitten with BBW’s Enchanted Orchid will fall in love with this fragrance. The sillage tastefully trails with medium strength and the fragrance last for quite a long time, staying even post-shower. I love most Estee Lauder creations, this one being no exception, but this one is different from the average EL creation. This one seems to be more carefree and untraditional, like Beyond Paradise’s eccentric little sister. It is completely enjoyable!

Glow after Dark by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

I bought a coffret of J. Lo fragrances so I could have the rollerball of Miami Glow, after it had just been discontinued. A few years and two bottles of Miami Glow later I finally got around to trying out the other superfluous rollerballs: Original Glow, Live Luxe, and Glow After Dark. I liked and was already familiar with Glow and Live Luxe but I completely neglected the GAD rollerball. It sat in a very dark corner in my perfume storage and I just recently found it. It was like winning $20 from a Scratcher. Exciting!

I’m always a bit apprehensive about perfumes in rollerballs. I am certainly not above collecting them; I think they are a great way of possessing a much-wanted scent without breaking the bank. However, I do wonder about crushing the top notes due to the way it is applied. Typically, this has not been a problem but I really have to question if rollerball application had affected this particular scent. I did not get much in the way of fruit with GAD. Secretly, I am glad. I love the occasional fruity floral but this aspect does grow wearisome after a while, especially with J. Lo’s fragrances. Let’s just say it has been done before. I got the boyfriend-bar-of-soap, Zest. Very “Zestfully Clean” scented. This went straight to greens and woods, which gave a wink and a nod to clean masculinity but not a blatant blast of men’s cologne. I really loved the four or more hours of this.

Then there is the weird drydown. I love patchouli but it is very hit-or-miss with my skin’s chemistry. Here, the patchouli and oakmoss begin “zestfully” clean but turn powdery. Like flea powder, powdery. It’s weird and strong. Longevity is one of this fragrance’s strong points and, like a double-edged sword, a point of contention. I put this on my wrist one evening at 6 pm and then, at 11:30 am the next day and many hand/wrist washings later, I still smell it. When it smelled like soap, I was overjoyed about this. Once it hit the powdery phase, not so much.

This is definitely a unisex fragrance so do not be deterred by the oft-mentioned suggestion that this could pass for a sex-shop purchase; there is something abstractedly perverse about the bottle. Do not be especially deterred by the J. Lo name. This is all about the juice. Strange as the drydown may be I am willing to look the other way on this one. I think this might be best sprayed on clothing to avoid the flea powder scent.

Vanillary by Gorilla Perfume

Vanillary is brilliantly simple. It is a mature jasmine-vanilla scent. Not mature as in ‘dated and musty’ but ‘grown up and refined’. This is unlike any vanilla scent I’ve yet to encounter. There is a smoldering incense in the drydown that could be attributed to the mix of tonka bean and jasmine. The vanilla is unadulterated. The jasmine is impressively authentic; it reminds me of the night-blooming jasmine bush in front of my house. It miraculously captured the scent of real jasmine as it blooms on a May evening. It’s pure bliss! Too many jasmine fragrances fall victim of turning into ‘car freshener’ jasmine, too sweet and too plasticky. This is the real deal. I spent an entire afternoon compulsively sniffing my wrists like a mental ward patient with an OCD tick. I had to go back to the Lush boutique and make this scent my own.

My only complaint is its inability to last longer than two hours. The sales person who insisted I would love this fragrance also massaged one of my forearms with the Heavanilli massage bar which is also scented with Vanillary. The use of the massage bar prolonged the scent and softened my skin. Maybe it’s just my skin’s chemistry but this scent vanishes in a smoky instant so layering is a necessity.

Anyone who is turned off by vanilla fragrances must give this one a go. It is not your typical saccharine vanilla.

Baryshnikov Pour Femme by Mikhail Baryshnikov

The second "expensive" perfume I ever bought at a department store counter, J. C. Penney's. I love the clean yet complex scent. Don't know how to describe it yet, new to this site and understanding perfume. It's a perfume for everyday and it makes me happy, maybe not enough to put on ballet shoes and do flying leaps, but happy anyway. I bought a big bottle of it in about 1995 and have half of it left.

Far Away by Avon

My step-mom is an Avon lady so I got this as a Christmas gift from her one year. It's okay, but not a fave. Too powdery or something for me. I like the Orientals as a group, though.

Mesmerize for Men by Avon

Another gift from my Avon lady step-mom from about 20 years ago. I believe there must be men's and women's versions. My bottle has a feminine gold tone filigree kind of shoulder over the blue bottle that is tapered in at the bottom. My late father said to me when I tried it on the first time, "Hmmm...that's nice. A follow me home kind of perfume," bless him. I wear it now and then, but not a major fave. Has a kind of powdery softness that is okay, but I like my perfumes to have a little more oomph.

Joop! Femme by Joop!

Bought this at Walgreen's when they had a buy one, get one free offer and was wanting something new. It's okay, kind of strong top notes, but I like the base notes, not too powdery. I wear it for casual and at work. Hate the name, but I really don't understand the deal with naming perfumes and wines something weird. Joop, to me, sounds like something I would use to smear between bathroom tiles.

Amarige by Givenchy

A quality perfume, but it has a bit of sharpness to it that doesn't suit me. Kind of powdery. I wear it as a break from my faves sometimes.

Fendi (original) by Fendi

Love this one and now it's discontinued. It has a dark, dangerous kind of feel to it. Very sensuous. I don't wear it to work, but for evenings out and special occasions.

Black Jade by Lubin

An exquisitely well-blended scent: at once light and shadow. I wish I could say more about the notes, but no particular 'ingredient' dominates for me. However, if I was blind-sniffing Black Jade, I'd say I could smell juniper berries (possibly absconded from sister fragrance Gin Fizz?).

Despite the name and an abundance of heavy-sounding notes, this is not a black/dark fragrance at all. Just like the jade green cap colour, BJ has a subdued freshness which would be suitable to wear for most occasions and seasons, even warm weather. It's like a muted ‘eau fraiche’ with extra complexity.

Interestingly, I recently met a lady who claimed to be allergic to almost everything under the sun, yet could spray Black Jade directly onto her skin without a reaction. If I was in a similar predicament, I could think of worse things than committing to this particular scent. But for me it's not quite special enough to pay full price for a bottle, no matter how sensuously rounded that bottle may be.

JGbeader's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Insensé by Givenchy

I wear this. It's a great feminine, being mostly floral. Others have described it to perfection here. I want to add that it has terrific sillage if you want to make an impression! I have a vintage bottle. May it be refilled every day like the magic potions in the stories. Love!

Sunny Frutti by Escada

I hunted down a mini of Sunny Frutti for my perfume library because I'd read somewhere (Turin?) that it was a milestone of sorts: apparently it kickstarted the late 90s/2000s trend for uber-fruities.

In this case, first does not necessarily mean best, because I can smell something off-puttingly sour in the Escada fruit bowl.

If SF contains the same notoriously unstable 'pear' aromachemical as in Goutal's Petite Cherie (which is frequently reported to 'turn'), this might explain the sourness. So, given the possibility that my mini is less than fresh, I will just give SF a neutral rating and speculate on the juicy delight that it might once have been.

Eliza's avatar

Tobacco & Tulle by Soivohle (Liz Zorn)

The$ 8.00 sample goes a long way, but once applied it doesn't stay on as long as I'd like it too. Maybe because I'm comparing the strength of it to a Caron extract which lingers and lasts longer than this Tobacco and Tullie. I love the smell of it although I can't pull out individual scents from it as the more experienced can.

At the end of a few hours I get a cinnamon like after smell. Don't know what it is...not bad, just don't know where it came from. I love tobacco scents and I could wear this every day and by the way it's a great scent for windy March weather. Just wondering if it's worth it... as I need to wear a lot of it.

For my 2 samples I sent for they threw in a 3rd one to try! Nice surprise The Meerschaum was the other sample I got and I liked it one day, but one night I applied it and the incense came out- some charred meat smell... have to finish the sample to learn in more, but that one as some tobacco in it too (that's why I wanted to try it). This Tobacco Tulle is sweeter than the Meerschaum- must be the tuberose that mixes well with it.

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Strellson No. 1 by Strellson

A little over neutral. It's a nice fragrance but I've noticed that I reach for other fragrances before this one. Worth checking out for sure and perfectly inoffensive.

A true office work-horse.