Fragrance Reviews from June 2012

Carillon Pour Un Ange by Tauer

A straignt-on lily-of-the-valley fragrance. Reminds me of Madini Four Seasons. Strong, strong, strong topnotes that keep coming. Luckily, I like Lily of the Valley, but I have to be in the mood to wear it because this is not subtle.

someperfumes's avatar

Walking in the Air by CB I Hate Perfume

Hmmm... Don't know about freshly fallen snow, but I do get a somewhat frosty sensation in my nasal passages as I'm smelling it, as if from breathing really cold air. It also does seem more dusty than frosty, actually. I'm not sure if this scent has achieved what it was aiming for, but it's quite an interesting one.

exciter76's avatar

Magnetism by Escada

I must confess: as much as I enjoy caramel as a confectionary treat I do not care for it in perfumes. My last rendezvous with caramel before Magnetism was disastrous; I could not scrub Hard Candy off my wrists fast enough. As the old cliché goes, “never say never,” and I am so glad I did not. Magnetism is good enough to make me go back on my word.

To look at the notes is to go into shock over the sugary overload of caramel, vanilla, and random fruits, not to mention the mishmash of greens and flowers. Had I seen the notes first I would never have considered buying this. It looks frightful but smells blissful. EM begins with a subdued creamy caramel, which is neither too saccharine nor too artificial. The vanilla-caramel sweetens just a tad with the arrival of candied fruits a few minutes after the initial spray. As terrifying as candied fruits may sound, they are merely present to add another confectionary dimension to this cozy comfort scent. The vanilla-caramel is still ever present at the heart but it mellows out, introducing a rich bouquet of varied flowers in full bloom, leaves and stems included. The base is most satisfying, incorporating the romantic notion of candies and flowers but adding an element of carnal seduction with its creamy vanilla and amber musk. Eight hours later I could smell a soft, sweetened, and warm musk; it was my skin but so much better.

Women will ask what you are wearing and men will trail behind, following the sillage in a devil-may-care fashion. I look weird compulsively burying my nose in my wrist but it cannot be helped when I wear this. EM is just that good.

Cuir Fétiche by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Light leather fragrance. Soapy, floral heart. Lists ambergris in the notes, which is fascinating, yet I detect a bit of “ashtray” here, a subtle smokiness that is off-putting. Definitely won’t replace Cuir de Russie, Jolie Madame, or Tabac Blonde in my estimation.

A Taste of Heaven by By Kilian

The notes of this perfume brag at least three kinds of lavender, some specifically identified as “green,” so one would expect a strongly herbal perfume, dry or fougere. Not so! This fragrance has a strong amber or tonka base that makes it smell almost as sweet as a marshmallow! If most lavenders are too soapy and sneezy for you, try this. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Coup de Foudre by Delrae

This is an interesting perfume house. I like their bold yet likeable scents, especially their linden Debut and their lively green floral Amoureuse. This perfume ranks lower on my scale because it is a fairly simple, realistic rose, and that’s been done before by Serge Lutens Sa Majaste la Rose, Creed Fleurs de Bulgarie, and even the less beautiful Perfumers Workshop Tea Rose. Still, Coup de Foudre is worth mentioning as a dry, citrus rose without honey, without vanilla, without powder. It is light, and it strives for that “botanical” realism. Even rose absolute (the natural substance) is “wetter” and more complex than this perfume. It is interesting but a little too stripped down for my taste.

Sweet Redemption by By Kilian

Do you like sweet, deep, rich perfume? If so, read on. If not, don’t go any farther. Next question: Do you like orange blossom absolute? Not the “headspace” orange blossom that smells like fresh flowers, but the real substance that is extracted from them. It is an acquired taste, orange blossom absolute, a love-it-or-hate-it aroma. It smells wild, raw, and somewhat overbearing but unique and habit-forming in the odd way that it clings to one’s memory. Because of its strength, it is best paired with a rich base. In Killian’s Sweet Redemption, that base comes in the form of vanilla, myrrh, opoponax, and benzoin, making a creamy, woody, incense-y mix. Add the fruity orange blossom, and it’s a swoony combination guaranteed to turn heads and last a long time. This perfume includes that yummy facet of Hypnotic Poison, but the comparison ends there. The orange blossom absolute turns her into a version of that perfume run amok in the jungle. She’s uncivilized. Grrrowl!

Zeta by Tauer

This is my favorite Andy Tauer perfume after Maroc Pour Elle. I smelled Zeta the same week that the Linden trees bloomed in my neighborhood, and it was a dead-ringer (meaning exact replica) of that heady blossom. This perfume captures the “pollen-y” aroma of that sweet, honeyed, green, lime-like flower, albeit being a little more soapy than the real thing. It develops nicely, never leaving its realism behind. In short, I’m impressed. My only disappointment is that it doesn’t last a long as I’d like. Yet, its sudden disappearance is better than if it had meandered toward a base that changed the aroma. Do you know what I mean? It could have wiltedinto a wan vanilla or dried down to a musk base, but no, it held firm, without compromise, linden to the end. And then…nothing more. Beautiful.

Cereus Pour Homme No. 14 by Cereus

At first sniff, I though this perfume included lavender, but the notes say otherwise. I was fooled because it is clean and herbal. The dominant notes are grapefruit, tarragon, and clary sage—one of perfumery’s most under-used notes, in my opinion). Those make No. 14 a gorgeous combination: dry, fresh, and masculine, although it is a great fragrance for women, too, because it has sweetness. If I could place this in any genre, I would put it in with retro fougere—sweet, but without a creamy base. This is the right season to try Cereus No. 14 because it is very good in summer.

Caprissimo by Carthusia

This perfume attracted my attention because it is rather strange. The notes elude me. It is like a spring floral, but I thought I caught a whiff of anise, which must be a phantom note. Really odd, but in an attractive way, especially if you’re seeking a new twist on a lilac-type of floral.

Gelsomini di Capri by Carthusia

Here is a strange combination that grabbed me and demanded that I think—really think—about it. At first, I thought, “aldehydes?” Then, no, “nail polish?” No. It’s too pretty for that. The actuality was unexpected: the crazy combo of geranium and jasmine. Boy, are those two contrasting notes! Geranium is clean, minty, slick, and unsweet. Jasmine is blowsy, sultry, banana-sweet, and narcotic. It’s as if two unalike sisters met: One is a prim school-marm, and the other, an ultra-femme belle in a frilly dress. Kaboom! That’s Gelsomini.

06 Amanu by Odin New York

This is a “true” green fragrance because it showcases that greenest-of-green notes, galbanum. It is clear, dry, masculine, but good for women, and initially very light. As it settles into its musk base, it sweetens appreciably. My opinion veered back and forth as it developed because galbanum can be a difficult note. Even though it is one of my favorite substances, it can go too far “into the vegetable bin” and smell crisp like celery and bitter like green pepper. But, in this perfume, the musk base saves it from that fate. The galbanum iis simple and well-handled here, not overly ornamented. It's not a fancy perfume, yet it knows where it's going and moves in a nice direction.

pyttlc's avatar

China China

Salvatore Ferragamo by Salvatore Ferragamo

i got a 100ml EDT recently. i used to have a 5ml Q version. This scent is charming in a undernote and peaceful way.The bottle is impressive as well. This is the kind that i would take fancy to gradually. Heart and base notes are more attractive. Top is so so. Almonds makes this scent unique especially in base. Not shallow at all. It's for lady above age 28 i think. Slim and tender apperance but with strong personality inside. Classic scent which time will tell.

L'Être Aimé Femme by Divine

This is a sweet, rather conventional lily-rose-jasmine-vanilla blend that reminds me partly of Tocade. I think I smell a phantom note of maraschino cherry, but that could just be my suggestability-- due to the the neon-pink color of this juice. There’s nothing not to like about this perfume. It's an appealing feminine fragrance.

Miriam by Tableau de Parfums

Aldehydes--and then a sweet powder and vanilla scent reminiscent of the original Chantilly. Old-fashioned fun if you’re into that particular, retro genre of women's perfume. I was never a Chantilly wearer, though, because the carnation and powder combination made a statement in the wrong direction for me. I liked white musk better.

shamu1's avatar

Arrogance pour Homme by Arrogance

A big hairy patchouli bomb that smells like a roughed up Givenchy Gentleman. Fans of dark, heavy powerhouse frags like Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui will love this. Great longevity with a nice brash, macho smell.

The only thing wrong with it is its lack of uniqueness. If you have Oscar, Gentleman or Kouros, there's no reason you need to have Arrogane Pour Homme, no matter how good it is. I can't help but think, "Hm, I know I've smelled this before".

MY RATING: 8/10

bondfrenchbond's avatar

Acqua di Giò Essenza by Giorgio Armani

Unlike the 1996 version of Acqua Di Gio this new Essenza update replaces much of it's brothers cool fresh notes with a medium-light spicy twist. This stuff turns up the volume! The Essenza update smells like Acqua Di Gios older more sophisticated brother with a self-confidence to boot. In general this increases the overall intensity and smells more aggressive. If you felt the original was on the weak side of the spectrum be pleased with this update. An hour after spraying, the spicy tones start to mellow slightly allowing the cool fresh scent to carry through. As someone who feels like the 1996 version was getting bit old and boring, I am very pleased with this update!

me123's avatar

Rumeur (new) by Lanvin

I own this.
    It was a bit strong at first but gets lots of compliments.
    Want to know something stupid? Yea? Well, I have good luck everytime I wear it. Really!! So if it smells like a skunk, whatever! :))))

ps I can't stand the rose version and it does not get compliments or brings me luck

caubol's avatar

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

I really like it except for the short period of time it lasts. It reminds me of a light version of vetiver extraordinaire by Dominique Ropion. Not sure what the technical term for that fresh cut wood smell is but I've had several women ask, "have you been chopping wood". Whomever thinks this is a feminine scent, wow is all I can say. What the hell kind of women do you hang around with? I got this for a great price $20 for 3.4 edt, so not concerned about having to spray it often.

Kiton Men by Kiton

wonderful a must for every man who want to smell classy

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

a blind buy, totally disappointing, citrusy and on the verge of sounding feminine, I will never buy this again, of course!

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

smells transient like an hotel soap bar, my girlfriend hates its guts, I love the stuff makes me feel transient!

dollars&scents's avatar

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

Zirh Ikon by Zirh - One is initially treated to a zesty lemonade. Tart and tangy lemon interplays with davona flower, with its sweetly fruity aspect, and cardamon, with its mildly spicy, anise-tinged facets. Ginger sprinkles the melange with its peppery, lemony and green character. Transitioning to the heart, the citric brew succumbs to the darker aspects of the scent. Labdanum infuses its resinous, myrhh-like and slightly leather-like facets, commingling with a raw, spicy cinnamon as well as clove buds, with their charred wood and smokey aroma. An undercurrent of a citrusy, pine-like frankincense and earthy, green vetiver adds to the mystical aura, and flows to the base. Here, a rich amber alters the accommodating frankincense, which has come into its own, to a darker character. And, an almost creamy cedarwood intermingles with a balsamic patchouli, which imparts its earthiness coupled with camphoraceous and mossy nuances. An inviting drydown ensues. This manly composition is well blended, and challenges the domain of niche. A fall and winter scent, this spicy and dark fragrance has good projection, a 2-3 hour, scent cloud, and longevity, about 8 hours. Given its inexpensive price, it is a welcomed addition to one's fragrance wardrobe.

Jack Hunter's avatar

Oud Stars : Mamluk by Xerjoff

After application I'm picking up a bouquet of musky jasmine and osmanthus which is very pretty and floral with a lovely caramel sweetness in the background. And because these notes dominate the whole fragrance I just cannot pick out the Oud, I'm sure its in the mix but I cannot detect it.

Now the balance of the scent is good and the carmel sweetness is not heavy but within the goldilocks zone of been just right. It's this note thats stops the scent been too feminine from the jasmine/osmanthus floral notes.

I have to say this is the best smelling one I have tried so far and the caramel sweetness behind the floral bouquet is really lovely. This fragrance is easy to like and approachable for everyone without any of the Oud funk that could be off putting. A thumbs up from me.

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

this is serious stuff, powerful, hypnotic and seductive....

Basile Uomo (new) by Basile

could be great but has no great sillage, duration is quite poor..doesn't cost at least

drseid's avatar

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

Ambre Narguile opens with a sweet cinnamon apple pie accord that many have mentioned. It uses honey as the key sweetener to my nose, with hints of ginger, incense and amber. The amber of course grows and becomes the star of the scent, retaining the initial sweetness and spice throughout to the point of the scent being a straight baked goods gourmand with a mild tobacco undertone. Ambre Narguille is a very smooth linear minimalist scent that is natural smelling and well-blended. Projection and longevity are both above average.

This is my favorite scent from the Hermessence line, but that is not saying much. It is very pleasant smelling, and gourmand lovers (I am not one) should certainly try it out. I am disappointed personally because Jean-Claude Ellena is capable of so much more than this overly simplistic creation. I know he is the master of minimalism, but at the price tags this whole line go for I expect so much more than this (and like I said, the others in the line I like even less). Good but not great, and highly overpriced, IMO. I give Ambre Narguile a "good" rating of 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5, but a 1 out of 5 for value. Definitely try this one first before shelling out the dough for this pricey apple pie.

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

7 Loewe Natural by Loewe

I tried this scent in Spain 2 weeks ago and must admit that I was very impressed with it; the start is refreshing, the heart notes are pleasant and natural and I recall the base notes as soothing and incredibly long lasting.

I think this scent differentiates the men from the boys.

Big thumbs up !!!

OVincze's avatar

Back to Black by By Kilian

The best word to describe this truly amazing creation IMHO is addictive; it is soooo good, so beautiful, so warm, a different gourmand which is not definitely not too sweet and is most definitely irresistible, a gorgeous, perfectly rounded out, complex and exceptionally attractive perfume.

Decibel by Azzaro

interesting opening but very disappointing dry down utterly synthetic!