Fragrance Reviews from June 2012

Géranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

The opening is most definitely all mint, & every kind of mint; spearmint, peppermint, fresh garden mint, the lot. As mint is known to cure headaches, l think this would be a perfect scent for that purpose, & incredibly refreshing on a hot, humid day. The mint has a sweetish, herbal, aromatic feel, rather than being toothpaste or candy-like. The mint dominates but slowly smooths out over the first hour, at which point the fragrance takes on an ambery aspect. A few hours in, l get an unmistakeable note of neroli; l haven't seen anyone else mention this, but there's a moment when this smells exactly like Profumum's Neroli to me! Having noticed this, l don't notice any of the base notes, but l don't really mind. This scent gives off lovely bursts of sillage for an outstanding ten hours before fading.
    My impression of this fragrance is one of freshness achieved with elegance & class, & l see no reason why a woman may not wear it. Another example of Dominique Ropion's genius!

kokonut's avatar
    kokonut

Concentré de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermès

Really natural smelling, non-sweet grapefruit with a touch of rose and a vetiver base. I get a strong similarity to Voyage d'hermes or maybe it's just Jean-Claude Ellena's style.
    Lasts like 4-5 hours so not that bad for this kind of scent.
    Projection is a bit weak but whatever, the smell is so gooood.

Gardenia by Crabtree & Evelyn

l remember seeing this for sale way back in the eighties, long before it was discontinued. Foolishly l never got around to sniffing it, but a few months ago l stumbled across a bottle on ebay, & couldn't resist a blind buy.
    When first sprayed, this scent appears deceptively light, pretty & simple, but as it warms on the skin, it opens up into a big tuberose & jasmine, with tremendous sillage, & a distinctly animalic undertone.The impression is of an elegant-looking lady wearing very naughty underclothes. After two hours, it settles into a clean & soapy white floral, & lasts a good seven hours.
    This is not a true gardenia fragrance, but no matter, it is a lovely spring floral in a classic style. Too bad that it's no longer available, but it's still possible to get a good deal on ebay if you feel like giving it a shot.

kokonut's avatar
    kokonut

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

Now that's a green fragrance! Projects and lasts better than Concentre de Pamplemousse Rose.

Very interesting. Smells like maybe a leaf of an orange tree? I don't really know and that's very cool.

It also has a smell of classic vetiver base cologne which makes it a little bit more masculine than unisex.

When it dries down I get like a geranium smell which gives a very, very small dose of sweetness.

Dans Tes Bras by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

What an odd scent this is! ln the opening l get violets, the kind that leave a powdery taste at the back of your throat as if you'd just eaten a handful of Parma violet pastilles. This is combined with an ozonic note; as someone else here said, not like hairspray, but like a room where it has just been sprayed. Shortly after, a salty green accord emerges, rather like seaweed. At this point, l'm enjoying this crazy ride, but then... a really weird, nauseating bread dough note appears, & dominates the heart for quite some time. ls this the mushroom note mentioned by so many here? lf so, it may explain my reaction, as l hate mushrooms with a passion. After around 90 minutes, the oddness passes, & it all dries down to a faintly musky, salty skin scent, fading out four hours after application. l get no patchouli, sandalwood or incense.
    l really wanted to like this one, as l love the name; "ln Your Arms" sounds so warm, intimate & comforting to me. But l found Musc Ravageur to be much more what l would expect from a scent with this name. l can't bring myself to give it a negative rating however, because although it didn't work for me, it is so wonderfully weird & intriguing! As rogalal said, it is not really a perfume, more a wearable work of art. l admire it's audacity, & l will be giving it another wear just to experience the ride all over again...

11th June, 2012 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2012)

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Pop by Costume National

As well as usual for Costume National this new release is extremely chic but the glamour vibe in this case, rather than being mysterious or milky-lush (Scent Intense or 21), is indeed utterly fruity-floral, joyful, cool and synthetic (chic-synthetic and "modern"). There must be hidden somewhere something invigorating and fresh not listed. There is a notable energetic rose-jasmine in the air and a strong initial citrus-grapefruit mark with a touch of greens aromatic so airy and fresh. In a second phase the strong immediately plain floral touch is flanked by a bold patchouli and by a soft caress from the powdery white woods and from the dry amber (in moderate amount) with a final blackcurrant influence that reminds me vaguely the Opium Pour Homme's silky dry down. Despite the ambery and woody dry down the juice holds on to be light, airy, averagely dry and cool with a really impressing projection and a remarkable patchouli-floral sophisticated link. Another good juice from the Italian brand for a temperamental kind of woman even if 21, Scent Intense and Scent are more original and inspired.

11th June, 2012 (Last Edited: 15 April, 2013)

synthetic's avatar
    synthetic

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Not particularly original or the best but it is still a great scent.
    You could do a lot worse than this.
    Vanilla/Wood with a nice powdery dry-down. Has decent projection and longevity.

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

If there's one thing I know Hermes/Jean-Claude Ellena for, it's blurring the line between what we consider niche quality and what we consider designer quality. I'm not saying these 2 groups are scientifically proven to be leaps and bounds away from each other quality-wise, but in general niche is where the top-notch reside...and usually Hermes is right up there with them, breaking the boundary.

This is not Hermes quality. This is a mess. I expected this to be right up there with Terre D'Hermes, I was very disappointed. What this is is a very modern citrus, but I like to think of it like something that been distilled and filtered too much over time, at a certain point it becomes so refined that it looses what made it special.

There is a very lemony-citrus, a light tea scent, and the ever so spicy woody smell of cardamom, but it's very boring, very synthetic, and doesn't even try to hide it.

Jean-Claude Ellena has done much better than this. From the startling top to the generic citrus musk drydown I would recommend passing.

benzganesh's avatar
    benzganesh
    Malaysia Malaysia

Forest Rain by Kiehl's

Not good, certainly not great - but you get what you pay for, longevity and silage is poor - but the scent with its animalic musk coupled with vetiver made me buy this - quite the compliment getter, well blended.

Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

This is the scent that snapped me out of my Maurice Roucel love affair, and it even fooled me a few times. But you know the saying...fool me once...ect. I guess in the end shame on me, but this isn't all negative, in fact it's perfectly pleasing. That is all it is unfortunately and in the category of high-priced-good-smelling there are much better.

There is a watery sweet basil and what I can only assume are violet leaves in the background. I don't get much if any pineapple. It stays relatively linear which contributes to it's boring nature.

I know Riverside Drive is a street in NY, but I think Riverside is a fitting name. I get somewhat of a picture of sitting by a stream, at least that's where the herbal/mossy vibe leads me.

This isn't the kind of scent that will get you noticed. If it's pleasing scents you're looking for this might be a try, but I almost feel like you'd be settling.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I'm apologizing beforehand...but I have to bring this down a peg. This fragrance is single-handedly responsible for ruining amber notes for me for a half a year. What was the problem? THE HERBS! Something about the medicinal herbs and the overbearing amber pounding my head relentlessly, it made me sick. Then every amber made me feel sick. Be careful with this stuff, if it doesn't agree with you it will stick around and haunt you.

Honestly I can't even properly review this because I won't subject myself to this again, but this is truly one of my most hated scents. Amber and green herbs that shouldn't be there, that's what this is to me.

Elzéard's avatar
    Elzéard

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Collectedly sweet, but never overly so. In fact, it is utterly brilliant. It does share similarities wth Pi, but in my opinion, Jaïpur is far better.

Vétiver by Christian Dior

This absolutely deserves more praise than it gets, and while it may not stand out as much as some of the fragrances in the La Collection Privee, it has to be one of the most pleasing,calming, and refined.

Dior's take is actually a perfect starting Vetiver, it took a note I didn't believe I liked and reduced it to a minimal composition, which really lets you appreciate the note. If you check their site you will see they list the notes as grapefruit, vetiver, and coffee. There is a definite citrus mini-blast in the beginning that stays in the background through the whole trip, but the coffee is nowhere to be found until you realize this is why Vetiver feels so smooth. The coffee isn't there as a separate note per say, but to support the vetiver and smooth out the rough edges that are typically there. This is what makes it so perfect.

vinramani09's avatar
    vinramani09

Zafferano by Odori

Ignore the negative reviews. This is a sumptuous Saffron floral, but a dusty and dark one. The saffron gives it a masculine edge and the florals lighten it up. It smells of wealth and beauty. Its a great comfort fragrance, while sillage and longevity are average, as a scent it is stunning. I think it is over priced, and waited a long time till I found a deal on this. Overall though, its a masterpiece and the bottle is beautiful as well. Another thing to note, this is not an Oud fragrance, and I see no similarity to Black Aoud or any Montales.

cheryl's avatar
    cheryl

Noir Marine / Oriental Mint by Phaedon

I received a small sample of this and gave it a "blind" test. It opens with a bite of mint/spearmint and as this fades out there is a kind of standard issue masculine plush sweetish smell. I'm reminded of Van Cleef Midnight in Paris. This brief experience then becomes a kind of Zen koan. Did I apply this? Is it completely gone? What is present, but not present? I guess this makes for a polite office scent for guys? The neutral is for the 10 second ride. Otherwise poor (longevity issues).

lovingthealien's avatar
    lovingthealien

Wild Woods for Men by Coty

What a fantastic gem. I picked up a new tester for almost nothing and I'm very impressed. It has no top or middle notes - it's just a lovely woody incense melange. Almost completely synthetic, but wonderful nonetheless. It's extremely well-rounded with no sharp or astringent aromas. I detect, in order of strength - sandalwood, incense, tonka, cedar, nutmeg, tobacco, vanilla, and musk. Creamy and delicious, discrete and brief, and rather simple - a great lounging fragrance.

FullCollapse's avatar
    FullCollapse

R'oud Elements by Kerosene

I must say this is really great! I understand the reference to M7 made by Alfarom, it doesnt exactly share any similarities except in the way that it blends a really smooth oud into its composition almost effortlessly. It starts out with a great bitter orange with a creamy slightly sweet note. After awhile the bitter orange gets much creamier and richer as the oud really kicks in. Its interesting how much smoother this gets as time goes on. I guess its the amber/vanilla combo that lends itself to the smoothness. I just barley detect the lavender but I think its job is to keep the whole fragrance from crossing over the line of too sweet and feminine. Again, I agree with Alfarom that this could have been a little more edgy and included an animalic note. That being said I give this 9/10

ForeverEndeavor's avatar
    ForeverEndeavor

Pentachord Auburn by Tauer

Andy Tauer is a fine perfumer, one of my favorites, but this one is so-so. It really gets better and better as it dries down, but it IS rather harsh on application. If you have patience and are just bumming around the garden or something this can be very enjoyable, but I would take basically any of his other fragrances over this one if I was leaving the house.

Scentdawg's avatar
    Scentdawg

Prelude to love ...invitation by By Kilian

I have sampled this one a few times and have always love it. It ranks 3rd in my book for this collection only behind Straight to Heaven and Cruel Intentions and followed closely by Back to Black.. I just cannot bring myself to pay the price tag. However, a 50ml refill bottle is much more affordable and could find its way to my collection. I am yet to find one fragrance by Kilian that I do not like. They are all fantastic in their own merit. I say this basing my decision solely on the fragrance and not on the price tag. However, By kilian makes it affordable if you are willing to bypass the gorgeous looking presentation in the bottle and box.

Now, I move to the fragrance. At onset, this starts with a crisp orange aroma. However, to me, it smells more like the white part of the peel as opposed to the tangy, bitter outside. This quickly evolves into more of a delicate grape, more like a nice, ripe, purple grape once the teeth have broken the skin and broke it in two halves. I guess it is the combination of the iris and the orange blossom that gives this vibe in my head. Either way, the aroma is delicate, luscious, and to my agony soft. It lacks projection in my book, but the excellence of this fragrance and the quality of the ingredients can easily be noticed to be of high quality. Longevity is average. It lingers on my skin about 4-6hrs and longer on my clothes. However, this is a scent that will be enjoyed by the person wearing it and those that come in very close contact. But then again, I wear a fragrance for my enjoyment and this does the job. I believe for this fragrance to be strictly Unisex and can easily be worn by both sexes.

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Terre de Bois by Miller Harris

Terre de Bois opens with very quick zing of near-transparent vetiver before a dominant lemon verbena note takes hold and remains into the scent's heart notes with the vetiver later acting as its backbone. The lemon verbena comes off as a lemon citrus and floral hybrid, with a very soapy undertone. There is just the faintest hint of mild spice backing up this sublime minimalist concoction. Projection is below average to average, while longevity is quite tenacious.

Terre de Bois is a rather simplistic composition. That said, complexity is not required to smell good, and make no mistake Terre de Bois definitely does. The vetiver used in it is of the non-smoky variety, and it melds with the lemon verbena perfectly, forming a very fresh and clean combo that is a perfect scent for warmer temperatures. It is relatively subtle, so if you are looking for a powerhouse scent keep looking. That said, for those looking for a nice easy to wear scent with excellent execution, I can highly recommend this one! 4 stars out of 5.

benzganesh's avatar
    benzganesh
    Malaysia Malaysia

L'Homme Libre by Yves Saint Laurent

A Fine Example of What a Flanker Can Become...My expectations were very low when i tried this - i expected it to be very generic - but indeed it is to a certain extent - and in that extent itself this is a benchmark - The "Whiff" of Indonesian Patchouli and Vetiver
    and top note of Bergamot form an "Olfactory Triangle" for the other more casual ingredients to work itself in to the juice - that itself is the magic! undone by anyone else in this territory; its sweet but with a strong masculine undercurrent supported
    by the patchouli and the vetiver.

I am appreciating this more and more of lately, especially when going back from my expensive niche fragrances - somewhoe "Libre" still seems to stand.

A good everyday scent when you don't know what to wear, mornings,evenings,
    nights - it'll work across the board.

I'd say nearest contenders are
    Coney Island MORE SWEET BUT COMPLEX (Top Note), Dior Homme Sport MORE FRESH (Top-Mid)but L'Homme Libre Seems to be "Most Masculine" of the Lot, unfortunately
    though it is also the weaker of this lot in terms of staying power.

As for Yves Saint Laurent
    No disrespect, but they shouldn't have used a boyish dancer as a face for this fragrance! Someone like Eric Bana would have carried this so well.

Set yourself free "L'Homme Libre"

KainoKani's avatar
    KainoKani
    Finland Finland

To See A Flower by CB I Hate Perfume

I expected to get the flower shop with all the green and mixture of flowers but what I got was garden shop with potted plants and earth (not bad at that) that changed to something that reminded me of some old fashion beauty soap. Not bad, but not what I was looking for.

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

Infusion de Vétiver by Prada

Weird.. really strange one here. It opens up with a promising green and soapy vetiver. Then quickly becomes sweet and starts to smell like licorice.. black licorice to be exact. A rather strange accord, it's nice but it rubs my nose the wrong way. I think of IdV as a better take on Kenzoair really, with the combination of vetiver and licorice.. Not anise.. LICORICE. Surprisingly nobody has gotten this out of it, except for me. Regardless, if a fresh vetiver scent is what you desire, I would go the route of Grey Vetiver, or Bois Blonds, as IdV is just mediocre at best.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar
    Oh_Hedgehog

Pentachord White by Tauer

If you want something akin to having Andy Tauer shine an LED spotlight up your nose, give Pentachord White a try. It’s squintingly bright and offers the mosquito-buzz sensation of aggressive synthetics. Morphing from dry ice to marshmallow, the fragrance thaws as it passes through iris-violet, amber, and then vanilla, but is officially disastrous after 15 minutes, when its sweet bourbon base appears and forms a dizzying combination with the ringing metallic quality of the floral notes. White is like a rotoscoped, Julian Opie version of Après L'Ondée: crude, cartoonized and mercilessly flattened out.

Mitsouko by Guerlain

This review is for the modern extrait;

The opening is very retro in feel, with an underlying creaminess that quickly becomes more prominent, & sweeter, almost cloying. After an hour though, it is softer & mossier. And although l don't really get the peach note, l do get the "fuzzy peach skin" vibe others have mentioned. Three hours in, l get salty oakmoss along with an ambery sweetness, & the whole thing is still traceable after seven hours on my skin.
    l didn't expect to love Mitsouko, although of course l respect her classic pedigree. l can imagine growing to like her a lot after a few more wearings though, especially having read that she tends to show different facets of her character at different times. She isn't bitter & green on my skin as l have found other chypres to be, but l think it's the addition of galbanum that usually causes this. Mitsouko is prettier & much less "dark & mysterious" than l expected, in fact she is surprisingly easy to wear, & makes me feel very put-together, grown-up & in control.

leto's avatar
    leto
    Turkey Turkey

Cologne pour le Matin by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Not a bad fragrance per se, but I'd expect more from Mr. Kurkdjian (and also the price tag) A simple floral, that sometimes smells like freshly out of printhouse magazines. Neutral.

Carillon Pour Un Ange by Tauer

l get zesty, juicy-green, young leaves in the opening, with a touch of something metallic, before the lily of the valley becomes apparent about 5 minutes in. My impression at this stage is of silver fairy bells tinkling deep in a forest, as the grassy, mossy, earthy undertones begin to come forward. 40 minutes in, a wonderfully salty oakmoss begins to dominate, & after a couple of hours is joined by a dry amber. The lily drifts in & out over the next few hours, & five hours in, the base is of floral, milky woods along with the amber. The sillage is excellent, & the longevity outstanding at around ten hours.
    l find this to be a very beautiful & unusual take on lily of the valley; it has a depth & complexity that keep it interesting all the way through, & l would say it's easily unisex. lt has a kind of chypre quality, without the bitterness of galbanum that l often dislike. lt has a construction & a bright greenness that remind me of DelRae's Debut, without being as tart. Others have mentioned a leather note, but l didn't get that, & l didn't miss it.
    l could really fall for this one, & it could be a worthy successor to my vintage bottle of Diorissimo when it runs out!

PureBoy's avatar
    PureBoy
    Brazil Brazil

(Untitled) by Martin Margiela

Oh my God!!!

Daniela Andrier worked magic here!!! It's a wonderful, totaly brutal and surreal green. Simply perfect!!!
    IMO, This is the best modern green scent on the market.
    It's very agressive, it's marvelous... For sure it's not for anyone!!!

Zeta by Tauer

The opening is bright with tart lemon & bergamot, swiftly followed by neroli & honeyed rose. Shortly after though, l get a strange sour note that l can't explain. l did have this sample for a few months before l got around to trying it, but it was kept in a box well away from heat & light, so l see no reason why it should have turned. After a couple of hours, l get a grassy green note, & after seven hours it all fades out without having developed any further.
    l don't recall ever having smelled linden blossom in nature, & so l cannot comment on this scent's similarity to it. The only other fragrance l've tried that lists it as a note is DelRae's Debut, which has a much brighter, juicy greenness to it, although l found it too tart for me. l have read that linden has a grassy aspect, so l guess that's what l'm getting in the drydown.
    l have really enjoyed most of the Tauer fragrances that l've tried, but l find this one disappointing, as for me that sour note detracts too much from my enjoyment of it.

Child by Susan D. Owens - Child

l find this to be a soft & pretty jasmine/pikake, with just a touch of indole. Like a softer, much less challenging version of Lust by Lush/Gorilla perfumes. A couple of hours in there's a subtle touch of musk, but otherwise it's quite linear. The sillage is good for an oil, & it lasts around eight hours before fading. A warm & friendly jasmine, very pleasant to wear while pottering around on a spring day.