Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

fragrancelover21's avatar

Sheherazade by Jean Desprez

I wore this perfume when I got married in 1986. It is a sublimely feminine fragrance.

buren's avatar

Ambush (original) by Dana

I really liked Dana's Tabu for many years in spite of its potency.

However, when I tried Ambush, the tangle between sweetness & patchouli didn't work for me....There seems to be a lingering sweetness in both Ambush & Canoe that is more than I want.

rednails's avatar

Epris by Max Factor

I have some manufacturer's samples of the concentrated cologne. This fume seems to be a strong oriental floral with a pronounced civet note. Probably some patch and moss in the base, too, but I wouldn't call it a true chypre. It has a balsamic structure, like Youth Dew. It reminds me of that, Charles of the Ritz Senchal and Kismet (the vintage one, not Lubin). Strong, sexy and a bit skanky! A winner!

PAguy's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

A*Men is one of my all time favorites. But, what I most enjoy is reading the reviews on here, because, whether positive or negative, this fragrance evokes many strong reactions. It has great projection and longevity for me, and the scent is one of the most unique I have found. Spray too much, and you will chase some people away, but the right amount, and people will ask about it. Unlike so many reviewers, I love that first blast of sweet chocolate in the top notes. It's like a burst of cotton candy. It dries down a little less sweet, and sticks with me all day. It's one of the few scents i spray in the morning, and still smell at the end of the day. However, I do find after an eight hour day, the note that sometimes lingers is the tar, and I am anxious to shower it off when I get home. I've also noticed that the tar takes over when this scent spoils. If you find the tar overwhelming, you may have purchased old stock. I recommend replacing this one after 3 years (maybe less depending on environment), as I don't think it keeps well. Buy the smaller bottles.

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

34 Boulevard Saint Germain by Diptyque

Beautiful and unique green woody scent; on my skin the blend of notes mix each other up but if you try the candle, you can appreciate all notes separately like in a grand symphonic orchestra.

A must for any perfume lover.

Big thumbs up...!!!

Lacoste Challenge by Lacoste

Challenge is a fresh aromatic ozone - style scent, with a mix of citrus, orange, jasmine and fruit providing a refreshing top note.  A touch of Juniper and Lavender with some wood is added later,  giving it a fresh and green character.  Unfortunately it is so strongly synthetic and in many aspects mimics other previous creations that it is  quite an unremarkable affair.  On me the longevity is a short ninety minutes with poor silage.  Overall nothing special, but reasonable in summer after the gym, as it will have worn off when you are going out later on and want to put on another and better fragrance.

jimmyfresno's avatar

Parfum d'Habit by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This was a strange fragrance to get "comfortable with." Most reviewers are describing a cross between vetiver and patchouli, but it comes across to me somewhere near costus root but a synthetic analog like costalon, a strange aromachemical used that used to be popular in 80s fougere fragrances. It is overdosed in this one. I use this very very sparingly and layer it with some sandalwood essential oil to tame the fakeness of that predominant element. Once accomplished it has many redeeming blending qualities.

SusieSusie's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I totally get the makeup which kicks in after a few minutes. Its waxy plastic irises in a vase. Not full bottle worthy IMO.

SusieSusie's avatar

Cologne du 68 by Guerlain

I love this. It's complex, beautifully blended, nothing overly jumps out but it's an elegant sexy intoxicating fragrance that always makes me feel confident and beautiful. Typically guerlain, you can feel it in L'Intense, Shalimar, Heritage to a degree. It's green, citrus, woody, soft and nest like in the drydown. Fits all occasions. It's the Guerlinade...

iodine's avatar

I Love Les Carottes by Honoré de Prés

I adore les carottes !!! Not the orange root itself, which is the only vegetable that I eat without much enthusiasm (along with turnips, at least until Madame Giacobetti decides to use them for a new perfume!), but this unusual and stunning fragrance! On first spraying it, I expected something quite odd and unwearable…. What a surprise, what a delight! To tell the entire truth, I’m not sure I do perceive real carrots- anyway, all the other notes I smell are just perfect on my skin: from the zesty and energizing orange, along with a slightly astringent and ligneous ginger in the start, the rich, smooth and velvety iris, to the moist,earthy rich patchouli in the drydown. It doesn’t last much, that’s its only flaw.

furrypine's avatar

Norway Norway

I Love Les Carottes by Honoré de Prés

Carrot and iris in a festive mix! Thought the combination seems odd it works very well, but you (obviously) have to love the smell of carrot since it's front and centre of the fragrance. For a 100% natural fragrance is has good longevity.

Contradiction for Men by Calvin Klein

Contradiction starts with a strong lemon and orange note that us tempered by a green note.  Later woody and spicy notes come with a minute dash of pepper.   A very synthetic but innocuous scent that turns soapy in the dry down and  is quite boring.  It is discrete for work in a conservative professional setting as the silage is very poor on me after the first fifteen minutes and it cannot offend anyone as it stays very close to my skin; after three hours it is gone.

Light Blue Pour Homme Living Stromboli by Dolce & Gabbana

Not a bad top note with the mild sweetness of the lychee being tampered by some citrus-aqua freshness that dries down nicely into a floral and artifical amber base. The scent is clearly very synthetic but pleasant and refreshing, albeit safe, nondescript and a bit boring. After thirty minutes it becomes very close to my skin, where it remains for another couple of hours.

Cool Water by Davidoff

Not much more to say. A fresh lavender, mint and citrus opening that quite soon dries down into the green notes of jasmin and oak moss with a touch of wood. The newer samples seem to have lost some of the oak moss character and appear fresher overall. It does not show much development. Yes, a synthetic, cheaper and less complex remake of the classic Creed GIT, but, in all fairness, the lesser quality is reflected in the pricing. On me it is gone after a couple of hours.

CK Free by Calvin Klein

A citrus impression with a touch of wood that is without any depth. It is emanating synthetic cheapness whilst concomitantly being bland and boring. The name is apt: free of character and free of quality. After thirty minutes on my skin it is gone.

PureBoy's avatar

Brazil Brazil

New York Oud by Bond No. 9

Well... I know I could be killed about this but let´s go!!!

I love this one... It´s SUPERB!

And I´m telling this completly impressed because to me OUD is a very agressive material. For example I bought (blind) the (in)FAMOUS Leather Oud by Dior and this beast made me sick... Oud pure and straight to my brain combinated with leather?!? Too much for me Sir... The other OUD-boy (I guess OUD-Old man, is more applicable) is Oud Wood by Tom Ford who I really found unpleasant... So I gave myself a try when I was buying Chinatown last weekend and I smelt this OUD from Bond... I was intrigued about it... so the saleswoman gave a sample and tell me to try to talk with this fragrance... And guys... I felt in love. This is finally an OUD for me!!! It´s everything that ever I wanted that Black Aoud by Montale to be... a balanced oud with roses... not screaming and punching you in the face, but talking to you instead of this. Always talking at loud, but only talking!!!
    For me, this is the kind of OUD that I´ll like forever... It´s not a PURE STRONG OUD... .. And If you looking for something like this go for those ones I described above.

Finally... Great longevity, projection and sillage!!!

Why an OUD fragrance has always to be The Purest and Strongest Oud?!!?

Champion by Davidoff

Indeed another lemon and bergamot scent that in the drydown adds some wood; less green than Cool Water but of the same ilk. It is a fresh fragrance, and although synthetic, without much development and a tad boring, it is a plain clean and fresh product. Surprisingly I get over five hours out if it with persistently good silage and projection.

Darvant's avatar

The One Sport by Dolce & Gabbana

Boring musky aquatic with a touch of balsams in the composition, an initial dusty-marine identity and a woody-fluidy backbone with hints of grapefruit and patchouli i suppose. Useless and uninspired.

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Rocabar by Hermès

Nice scent. Very unique, powerful and smells so high quality.

yellow_cello's avatar

Poivre Piquant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

An odd one this. At first spray it reminded me of Lutens Jeux de Peau, then it spent most of its time on my wrist smelling a lot like Floris White Rose. Weird. It also smelt quite a bit like Penhaligon's Amaranthine, which considering they're both creations of Bertrand Duchafour probably isn't a coincidence. Soft, sweet, milky and floral, with a touch of pepper - nice if you like it, but not fo me (shame)

yellow_cello's avatar

Amaranthine by Penhaligon's

Mmmmmm.... peppery hothouse flowers and greenery drying down to condensed milk and cocao. I love it! It's bears a lot of resemblance to L'Artisan Parfumeur's Poivre Piquant (another Duchafour), but whereas I don't like PP, I like this alot

jimmyfresno's avatar

Brooklyn by Bond No. 9

I have none of the baggage regarding Bond as some reviewers, e.g. the number of fragrances they release each year, etc. But I am starting to believe that their formulas are ripoff tweeks of popular perfume notes.

Brooklyn, oh Brooklyn. What an overdose of a note not listed: synthetic Pink Peppercorn, iso e Super, and the line's favorite chemical, Calone acquatic marine "accord." . Astmatic, bronchospasm-inducing Pink Peppercorn. One tiny half spritz on my wrist and I recognized it and had to wash it off. It is the very note that causes my lungs to close when a colleague wears it. My spouse is now coughing 3 rooms away, I swear to god.

Roya k's avatar

Little Miss Panda by Smell Bent

This for some reason smells like plastic or tyre. dont mind it,but I guess it's not for everyone.

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

This has to be the best traditional citrus cologne known to mankind. It reeks of sophistication in a bottle. Grown up citrus followed by Lavendar which I am not a fan of & some nice floral notes. This is not the teenage sugary sweet stuff. Pure class & sophistication for when you want people to know you have great taste.

This cologne last a good 6 hours on me before coming faint. Much better than any of these summer frags being produced today. It is summer in a bottle, it is a lavish party on the coast of the Hawaiian islands.

It projects medium to low on me which is not bad. Wearing a all white outfit suits this fragrance perfectly. If you have any reservations about Acqua di Parma Colonia smelling old & or outdated, please save you breath. It is anything BUT! You can't do much better than this. Enjoy!

BetsyMeszaros's avatar

French Lime Blossom by Jo Malone

I just discovered this wonderful fragrance and it has replaced all versions of Shalimar as my favorite summer set and maybe all year scent. I wear it with Jo Malone Vintage Gardenia. Everyone seems to compliment me on this scent. That has never happened to me before. I'm quite surprised that one reviewer said they had to scrub it off (why would you want to?) as it does not last that long on me so I keep applying it every 2 or 3 hours. That would be my only criticism. This is just such a lovely scent and maybe my all time favorite when you marry it with the Vintage Gardenia.

DieNase's avatar

Vetyver Incenso by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

My first review on basenotes *g*
    Well, I own a decant of this scent. Have tried it a couple of times but haven't given it a full wearing yet. My first impression was also "Terre d'Hermès". However when trying it more thouroughly I can see lots of differences. I do smell the incense here - I don't get any incense at all in TdH.
    I don't get the green and salty notes that I get in TdH pure perfume. I don't get the flintstone from TdH EdT. I don't get Iso E Super in this one.
    Then the citric notes are different - probably due to the ginger notes.
    Vetyver incenso is not as loud as Terre d'Hermès. In the drydown I do get greenish notes of vetiveryl acetate, which I don't get in TdH. They blend extremely well with the incense.
    Overall, I think vetyver incenso is the more elaborated and sophisticated of the two. Definitely worth a try.
    If it is worth the extra price tag is up to you. I got a decant for a good price, bought blind, so that's ok.
    Don't judge this scent by the first impression. Give it the chance to dry down for a couple of hours and you'll see that it is NOT a copy of Terre d'Hermès!

01st July, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 July, 2012)

memories's avatar

EC2 by Bex London

This is just gorgeous. The spices are dominant for a short whle .As they change there is still spice but it has something that makes me think of spicy pastries of the sweet sort.

01st July, 2012 (Last Edited: 05 July, 2012)

farang's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Les Déserts d'Orient - Rose Nacrée du Desert by Guerlain

When I first tried Rose Nacree du Desert I was a bit concerned that the rose blast that it opens with could be too feminine. But it turned out to be a dry rose scent, and it quickly transforms into a sweet, but not too sweet, spicy wonderful blend. The oud is there and the scent lasts for a long time with good outreach. This fragrance has made more of an impression on me than most - as I normally do not give much thoughts to a fragrance once I wear it. But with Rose Nacree I am constantly reminded of being in a Persian Garden..

There may be other fragrances with a similar combination of rose, spiciness and oud, but I am in no position to make a comparison. I just know that this perfume is wonderful.

As I understand, this is a limited release foremost for the Middle East. It is available at airports in Dubai, Doha and Beirut and possibly elsewhere in the ME and also in Paris at the Guerlain store.

01st July, 2012 (Last Edited: 07 July, 2012)

noirdrakkar's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

In the beginning, as many people have noted this does smell both like a Barber Shop and Barbasol shaving cream. However, later on the scent develops into a green mossy scent. Lavendar and patchouli are readily detectable here, making it somewhat similar to Drakkar Noir (bar the lemon note). It is a masculine fragrance, but at the same time it is very subtle and not loud.

At first I saw this as an average-at-best scent, but now I've grown to appreciate it much more. There just so many positives to this one.

* Great longevity
    * Projects well, but you will never be that cologne-guy
    * It is unique, but not bizarre
    * $40 for 4.2 oz makes it one of the best deals around

01st July, 2012 (Last Edited: 06 November, 2012)

's avatar

Encre Noire by Lalique

I gotta admit that I enjoyed Encre Noire at first. Probably because it smelled so different, but to be honest, it got real old, real quick for me. At first this fragrance reminded me of the incense you would smell in a Catholic Church ceremony. Growing up in the church, I always loved that mysterious smell, but the last few times I wore Encre Noire, the incense memory went completely away and reminded me of nothing more then a newspaper factory, and that just didn't work for me, so I sold it on EBay. I took the money and that I sold EN with, and purchased HeWood Rocky Mountain Wood by D Squared. I love it! It's a toned down vetiver cousin of Encre Noire, but It's a lot more versatile and came with a lot more compliments. Good luck using Encre Noire as a signiture scent, your gonna need it.

01st July, 2012 (Last Edited: 01st January, 2013)