Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

Swanky's avatar

Moods Uomo by Krizia

Moods shares an understated elegance with Fendi Uomo and Givenchy Gentleman. Most impressive is a distinct smoky note like burned cork familiar to those who've smelled Fracas for Men and Francesco Smalto. Added to the leathery vibe and the delectable florals, this smokiness puts Moods into another gear and separates it from the somewhat similar Giorgio and the aforementioned Givenchy. Nice work indeed.

dollars&scents's avatar

L'Essence de Cerutti by Cerruti

L'Essence de Cerruti by Cerruti - One is initially treated to an invigorating bergamot, with its orangey bittersweetness and peppery facets. The freshness of the bergamot commingles with the compost-like and ever-so-slight barnyard aspects of white pepper. Segueing to the middle, the mintiness of birch encases the fresh opening, and infuses its wintergreen sweetness. A raw and somewhat phenolic leather wafts in the background along with the hay-like character of saffron. Transitioning to the comforting base, a creamy cedar infuses its resinous and camphoraceous woodiness, along with the sweetly vanillic and faintly earthy quality of amber. A sensual, fur/skin-like and warm musk also presents. An alluring drydown ensues. This masculine composition is well blended, and has good longevity, 8+ hours, and average projection, being light enough for an office scent. Given its very reasonable, price point, this versatile and somewhat elegant composition is worthy of purchase.

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

remind me of yatagan but less animal, a true classic!

Higher by Christian Dior

for teen agers, regretted it buying the second time, must be augmented with patchouli or drakkar noir for better depth

torbacka's avatar

Finland Finland

Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

I like Uomo very much. It's refreshing and soothing scent. At least for me the thing is that it is more than refreshing citrus scent. It has quite strong and dry herbs also to keep it together and dry enough and also some spices which are not overwhelming, just adding a little spicyness. And in the bottom vetiver and sandalwood adds structure and woodyness and masculinity. Also some neroli there to some colour to the composition. Very nice composition indeed, everythings nicely balanced.

For me it's masculine refinement, wearer is a well dressed gentleman, ambient is Mediterranean: on the hill of Toscany where a sudden stong wind carries air from the sea, or a mountain view by the lakes of Northean Italy.

Not super modern, but not outdated either, absolutely not. In this case I think that there is a reminder from the past, but it's a positive thing. Just great!

Dictator's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Beautiful!!! But weak longevity :( The longevity is improved if you keep it at 4 Celsius.

Darvant's avatar

Nomad / Moroccan Myrrh by Crabtree & Evelyn

Nomad is nothing but a clean and fresh traditional masculine cypre with a sort of slightly powdery and balmy cedary dry down. Because of the link citrus-ginger-tea-bamboo the scent smells for a while a bit fluidy, refreshing, aromatic and quiet with a sort of spicy-tropical and lemony light temperament. I smell effectively the calone effect and something reminds me for a while the classic red Ferrari. The juice is very spicy (cloves and cinnamon, may be a touch of pepper) and effectively the smell reminds something like a tasty lemony tea with spicy-exotic and milky nuances. Very "english and colonial"kind with a final plain soapy smoothness. The dry down is more restrained (i mean less fluidy), ambery, woody and conventional. The balance is accurate but the scent itself is a bit too common in perception. Not bad anyway.

shamu1's avatar

Aramis Life by Aramis

Not bad, but boring. I bought this because I thought it would be a bright, sharp green scent, based on the cucumber and violet leaves that are supposedly in this, but no go.

I don't smell any green fresh notes whatsoever. I smell an interesting creamy fruity note in here (kumquat?), which is interesting, but there's nothing else in here to make this an interesting scent. This is a sweet, bland fragrance, that smells mainly like the kumquat on top of boring powdery tonka bean. In the drydown, I can smell some glimpses of a sharp wood note, but it's just cedar. Big deal.

It's pleasant, but that's all I can really say about Aramis Life. I'm disappointed with this fragrance.

MY RATING: 6/10

Mysticman's avatar

Greenbriar by Caswell-Massey

My bottle of Greenbriar must be the original formulation, because it smells nothing like Cool Water. Nor was "ozone" (listed on the current packaging) in common use in perfumery in 1984, when Greenbriar was introduced . What it DOES smell like is a much-diluted version of Polo's top and middle notes --- the opening is fresh and green but with an ambery-woody undertone. Instead of Polo's rich tobacco-leather-patchouli base, Greenbriar's drydown is a subtle. smooth, somewhat sweet amber accord that keeps the greens going. It's somewhat reminiscent of Halston 1-12 or Grey Flannel, but softer and more subtle.

Overall, it's quite pleasant, but not nearly as distinctive or long-lasting as one would expect from an 80's fragrance, especially one in the lineage of Polo.

drseid's avatar

Burqa by So Oud

This is a review of the "Eau Fine" version of Burqa...

Burqa opens with a very nice subtle jasmine and rose tandem that quickly adds a violet note into the mix creating a very interesting combination that is hard to describe, but the closest thing I can think of is that it smells somewhat like an olive (emphasis on "somewhat"). The top notes fade into the background after a few minutes and then a leathery incense accord takes over as the key heart accord. I see "black ink" listed as a heart note in the scent's pyramid, and I confess there is a bit of an ink-like accord supporting the leathery incense as well. In the base, patchouli, amber and woody teak are the standout notes, mixing in with the incense. Projection and longevity are both average.

Burqa is an intriguing scent that I like but don't love. It starts off a bit weird with its combination of rose, jasmine and violet, but soon changes into a more conventional incense and leather scent that is quite pleasant smelling but not revolutionary. I can appreciate the quality here, but the execution is just a hair off. I give Burqa a "good" rating of 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5. Certainly it is worth trying out, but buying it at its relatively lofty price point is a tougher sell, IMO.

mumsy's avatar

Santal Blush by Tom Ford

Upon first application, there was a fleeting but strong smell of mysore sandalwood and I settled down, expecting to really enjoy this. However, it started as a soft, sweet, floral, spicy sandal, but gently dissolved into the most extraordinary plastic version of itself. I felt like a chemical hothouse. I managed it for about four hours. Every time I moved this plastic woodsy perfume followed me and I'm afraid it became a scrubber for me. It just proves you don't need a good perfume for sales, just some chemicals and a good handsome lead man for the advertising. I would expect much better than this from a high profile line. I hope Tom doesn't wear it himself.

Smelly Dude's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Joop! Homme is insane, which probably explains why it's one of my favourite scents. It's very much an 80s style Power Scent, but with a very fruity twist. It starts off with a very rich berry scent, and then settles down into a thick and oily patchouli/cinnamon/vanilla, still with a few berries holding on there. Sillage and longevity are both absolutely freakish. I can still smell Joop! Homme on me 24 hours later.

It's one of those fragrances that is easy to overdo. A 4.2oz bottle should last the average man several lifetimes. I also find it's one of those fragrances that I tend to wear with certain clothes. It's not so much seasonal as a certain colour. For example, if I'm wearing a pink or a purple shirt, sweater or tie, Joop! Homme seems to go well. Whereas if my wardrobe is heavily brown, green or orange influenced, then it's just completely the wrong fragrance.

Every man should try Joop! Homme at least once. You'll either love it or hate it, as will the ladies.

09 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th July, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Narcotic Venus by Nasomatto

According with the others i write that Narcotic Venus is a sort of womanly carnal  musky-floral with a final sort of sensual warmth because of a dense musky creamy undertone linked with the tuberose sinister dirtiness (kind of viscosity) and the spices. Extremely floral ( with the trio tuberose-jasmine-lily) with a decent level of complexity and changeability. Some spices cut the initial floral and clean indolic coolness leading us, through a floral passage and by a rugged exotic pungency, in to a dirty musky base. Lush and radiant with a final touch of milk. Another strange Nasomatto. I don't see the poor longevity and the sweetness is controlled. Finally a bit too synthetic. Not bad although i'm not crazy for it.

09 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th July, 2012)

jesco's avatar

Labdanum 18 / Ciste 18 by Le Labo

My first Le Labo sniff is cringe worthy. In fact I want to remember it, so as not to make this mistake again. I am reminded me of what put me off perfume for years.
    Sweet powder. The best of Shalimar with the addition of baby powder. Oh dear. I save samples, one never knows when reference might call. But this went down the loo. Sometimes I don't have my glasses on and reach for a surprise tester. I would say this is my most unfavorite fragrance of all time.

09 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 15 July, 2012)

Unvisible's avatar

Gendarme by Gendarme

A masterpiece. This is fresh. It's the most sublime fragrance I've ever smelled... so unobtrusive, yet still present. It doesn't seem to ever become annoying. When the scent hits my nose, it's a simliar sensation to a clean bed sheet being shaken in the air and gently falling down, landing over your face. Amazing.

09 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 22 July, 2012)

Awakening950's avatar

Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois by Cartier

This is a wonderful scent for thirty minutes to an hour and then for me it ceases to exist. It's like it's totally missing any base notes. I use it mainly for bedtime because of it's terrible longevity.

09 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2012)

Nosey49's avatar

Legend by Michael Jordan

I give this an unqualified "thumbs up."It's Rochas Man only much better, longer lasting, with a better drydown.

For the price you won't find anyting better. In fact, if you like gourmonds, you won't find many fragrances better than Legend at any price.

09 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 09 May, 2014)

erichtonius's avatar

France France

Old English Lavender Water by D.R. Harris & co.

A delightful and true english lavender from old time, with a light musc base.

10dadeo's avatar

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

It is fresh dense and woody without being aggressive. I didn't have any problems at all with the bottle, I thought it was nice though a bit overdone.
    The scent for me was far too safe, generic, and lacking personality.
    It smells similar to D&G the One. I had high hopes for this one but those types of scents are not my style. I might have liked them a few years ago but now they're too sweet and soft. It smells like synthetic orange and watermelon with some sweet spices and freshness.

7.5/10

kuanyin4's avatar

Le Miracle by Lenthéric

After much googling, there is still little to find about Miracle by Lentheric and what there is all at http://thevintageperfumevault.blogspot.com/2010/05/one-more-for-road-lentheric-miracle.html . Do a search there and you'll find it has been written about 3 or 4 times. Which is funny considering that noone else mentions it! I'm so glad to find the notes she dug up (without saying where): white orris root, cedar and lavender. OK, I can go with that. But there is also something sweetly white floral and that is what keeps it much more feminine than Tweed. The combination is head spinning, so unique that it is hard to type for all the wrist sniffing. To me this is only vintage in that they don't make them like this anymore. It does have that cologne brightness even though I have the au parfum version. It took me a bit to appreciate Tweed, this is one that I don't have to think about to love. But it is very evident they are from the same house. Compared to others of that time, they are just more fresh and playful, rather tomboyish. This is not elegant lady, this is Nancy Drew!

karazzmatic's avatar

Saks New Orleans by Bond No. 9

2 VERY BIG THUMBS UP!! (and not just because I was born and raised in NOLA)

This is the most exquisite and richest Bond No. 9 yet. I get the lingering blend of vanilla, amber, sandalwood, and bergamot blended impeccably with a touch of cinnamon and the slightest element of a floral nature. This scent is both bold yet delicate, and it is both cajun and creole in nature; cajun like walking in the French Quarter and along the banks of the Misissippi, and creole like walking along St. Charles Street in Uptown NO and being inside an historic hotel Downtown. The longer it lingers, the better it smells, and it lasts a long time- like the memory of a kiss. It is blended to cover all the facets of the Crescent City, yet on its own it doesn't scream New Orleans...it whispers it lovingly in one's ear.

I have taken also to layering this fragrance with Nouveau Bowery and the combination is breathtaking, just like taking a ride on the ferry at twilight. It is a fragrance that both reminds you of something you have smelled in another period of your life yet has enough personality of its own to stand alone. Please try this one if you can- I can't do justice to it with a mere description. Laissez le bon temps rouler mes amis!!

gmstrack's avatar

Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

Jasmin Noir opens with big, yet soft jasmine and gardenia and dries down to tonka bean and almonds. It’s feminine and easy to wear; a pleasant crowd pleaser. Also, if you find florals difficult to wear, this one might be tolerable. IMO this ballerina birthday cake needs something more. Maybe leather or incense? A big dose of patchouli?

Preston H's avatar

Boisé Vanillé by Montale

Opens up as an adult masculine baby powder. After 30 mins I get citrus and vanilla with a smoldering wood note playing the background. This stuff is strong so two sprays will last all day. If u overdo this it smells like b.o. In moderation it's awesome two thumbs up

barclaydetolly's avatar

Jicky by Guerlain

I've read all the accolades in these reviews, and quite frankly, I'm speechless. I just tried the Jicky EDP. I find it disgusting, and it's one of the few colognes I've had to wash off. Cat box smell? Check. I just don't understand why anyone would want to smell like this. Say what you want about Guerlain's "organic approach," this just doesn't smell good. I'll take Millesime Imperial and Green Irish Tweed over Jicky any day. If that brands me as common, so be it.

Fresco by Victor

time warp, a distinguished gentleman working in Milan in a bright summer morning, 1972 circa

Red Theodora's avatar

Yardley London Diamond / Royal Diamond by Yardley

I debated a very long time whether to give Royal Diamond a thumbs up or a neutral. Now just because I chose neutral doesn't mean I don't like it.
    Royal Diamond is a nice fragrance. Not a great fragrance, or an outstanding fragrance - but a nice fragrance. It's a soft floral, with nothing offensive about it. It's just that it doesn't have any wow factor.
    It is , however, smooth and well-balanced . Light enough for spring or summer wear and might make a fine little pick-me-up fragrance in the colder months, when one wants a small reminder of warm weather and flowers.
    Royal Diamond is a well-mannered scent, it certainly won't offend anyone in church. That alone should be enough for the Queen to give it her stamp of approval.

alfarom's avatar

Agar Musk by Ramon Monegal

Agar Musk strikes as an hypothetic mash up between ByKilian Pure Oud, Memo Shams and Montale's Dark Aoud but waaaaay much lighter than either...which in this specific case is nothing bad per se...Don't get me wrong, the fragrance is anything but weak and especially if applied on fabric, it lasts for 24+ hours. I'd say it's a pretty masculine oud leaning towards the transparent side of the woody spectrum. Nice, kinda understated yet somewhat exotic with a dark twist. Leathery and slightly musky with a tiny dollop of woody amber to reinforce the overall woodyness. Nothing else added to smooth down the overal stark vibe but, at the same time it results anything but heavy or harsh...I'd say almost weightless, which is actually something quite interesting for this type of fragrance. Another big plus is that the fragrance avoids the stereotyped rose/oud combo which is lately becoming quite annoying...

Agar Musk could seriosuly represent a much easier to wear alternative to the aforementioned fragrances. Recommended as one of the most "friendly" western ouds around...Woods galore.

Masculine and dark yet incredibly easy to wear.

Davidoff by Davidoff

one of the best, ever! huge and heavy and sexy!

Izzie's avatar

Poison by Christian Dior

Sultry, mysterious, seductive, gothic - FANTASTIC.

While not my type of scent, Poison is perfect at what it does. It's dark and powerful, lasts forever on my skin and projects like a beast.

While dark, it's still very feminine. The name Poison describes it perfectly, and the bottle design is also absolutely spot on.

It's unique and not for everyone, but on those who can pull it off it's irresistible.

Kaern's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

The quintessential fragrance for men, with that retro barbershop feel -- lots of lavender, herbs and patchouli, fresh and powdery at the same time. One of those fragrances that can easily wear you though.

One other caveat -- this fragrance, Pour homme and M7 Oud (renamed) have all been rebottled in chunky black with quirky tops at a jaunty angle and all sized 80ml. They all smell exactly the same as before, but the prices have gone up accordingly. Thumbs up for Rive Gauche, but a cynical con job nonetheless by YSL.