Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

ExtremeK's avatar

What We Do In Paris Is Secret by A Lab on Fire

I was prepared to love this one more than I did. I love the notes, the sweetness is right up my alley ... but when I put it on, it was just a pale imitation of Chergui, with some added powderiness and nowhere near the longevity. I love Ropion, but Lutens already did this and did it better. I'll stick with Chergui, thanks.

Preston H's avatar

Red Vetyver by Montale

Vetiver on another level. Unlike most vetivers, it's not bitter or sour smelling at the end. A very natural smelling perfume, patchouli and cedar wood add a refined smokiness while the elemi adds a sweetened note to balance out the bitterness of vetiver. Love it, would recommend to others..

Wise Owl's avatar

Freedom by Police

If clean smelling barbershop style scents are your thing then Police Freedom is right up your street. In fact it smells exactly the same as the blue bottle of Johnsons Baby Bath! All in all a cheaper alternative to the likes of Rive Gauche PH, but in my opinion nearly as good and well worth a look.

Wise Owl's avatar

Pole Position by David Coulthard

Very citrusy with the lemon, orange and juniper notes dominating. There's also an underlying warm, comforting vanilla presence there which just does enough to take the edge of it. Longevity and projection are both impressive as well; especially when price is taken into account as it can be picked up for ridiculously low prices.

Smyle12's avatar

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

The "grandfather of gourmands" and it smells just like it. Very sharp, pungent, nutty, and animalic. I'm glad I only wasted $20 on this guy. Smells like a very cheap knock-off of A*Men, although this was produced first, so perhaps Mugler perfected this scent. A couple sprays on paper and I couldn't get the sharp tobacco and old school, funky, animalic stench that accompanies the A*Men like smell of this fragrance out of my nose for a few hours!!! This is disgusting, this is cheap, and this is what you'll have to buy if you'd like to own something along the lines of finer gourmand fragrances like L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme, or of course the seminal A*Men, and for that I am sorry. I suppose it's better than nothing!!! lol

rbaker's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Bulgari Black opens with that rubbery petrol-station feeling that previous basenotes - reviewers described so aptly.  On me it is less harsh than the opening blasts of Knize 10 or TF Tuscan Leather, with a Lapsang Souchong-like smoky tea note being discernible.  The drydown is indeed vanilla based and sweetly musky with a bit of wood but without much leather on me.  It is still quite balanced and not cloying.  The two phases are clearly delineated, with the first rubbery one lasting about half an hour or so.  Interestingly, towards the end the vanilla becomes a bit less sweet and more interesting albeit faint.  The projection is good initially, but later on it is closer to my skin, which makes it wearable for work.   A great and creative urban cool-weather fragrance of the old Bulgari school with an excellent longevity of over eight hours on my skin.  I can see why is has the status of a classic.  My current bottle design is of the new style and hence not as prone to malfunction.  Its design is aesthetically sensational, although offering little protection from the light.

jesco's avatar

Royal Lotus by Anya's Garden

Lotus brilliantly and lightly polished with almost undetectable citrus. Framed in mouth watering Tonka Bean and smoky vanishing Sandalwood. Not the promised 24 hours in my hair or even 2 hours on my wrist. But I don't care. I perform a tea ceremony over my head, and tip these tiny bottles upside down. For me this isn't about staying power, the allure is in the changes and the transformations. Just now I smell pepper and rose, really this is an astounding trip. Sometimes I find myself looking at her picture and wondering if she is a witch. How does she do it? Anya's fragrances seem to be cast against a certain fruity liquor that I mind more in the Kewda. Yet there is no finer Kewda or Lotus fragrance in my opinion. Both are incredibly deft gentle celebrations. And that plummy apricot liquor takes me back to my grandmother, she had her own signature between folds.

10th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 16 July, 2012)

jamwires's avatar

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Very good juice. Good quality from top to bottom, lasts a good while, and is a pleasure to wear in warmer weather too. Don't be fooled by the word "Aqua," this ain't no typical aquatic. It actually has some substance, and keeps me interested throughout the day. Among my favorite designer fragrances. Traces of this can be smelled 24+ hrs after application on me.

10th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th July, 2012)

TXAggie's avatar

Versace pour Homme by Versace

I love this scent, great for the office. I find myself trying to get little whifs throughout the day. Just a few sprays and it makes it through the workday. It's pretty close to my skin by the end, but still a fantastic scent. I'm of the mind that if it smells good to you then it's worth wearing.

10th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 24 July, 2012)

alfarom's avatar

Umbra by Ramon Monegal

Umbra is a dry, kinda sweet-balmy, woody-mossy vetiver. A solid rosy-geranium plays a central role providing both fresh and old-school facet. Kinda soapy. To be completely honest, it actually opens with a modern accord of green fresh vetiver and pepper to then quickly evolve into a sweeter woody-mossy balsamic drydown that's definitely more old-fashioned.

Interesting if you like restrained mascluine fragrances. Turns great on a woman...

10th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 July, 2014)

Candide's avatar

Germany Germany

Eau Lente by Diptyque

Eau Lente is an ode to to beauty-in-tranquility.

"Thy Naiad airs have brought me home
    To the glory that was Greece,
    And the grandeur that was Rome."

Opoponax exhales an 'intellectual sweetness' that connects your brain with your senses. While bombastic orientals lull you into feeble relaxation - and in narcotic manner -, Eau Lente never suspends your awareness. It has a stoic vitality to it and tells you "One truth is clear, whatever is, is right."

natrance's avatar

MK High Intensity Cologne Spray by Mary Kay

Let me start of by saying it is not feminine...this is a full blown head turner!! Of all the Niche and Designer fragrances, this is my numero uno go to scent!! FROM MARY KAY, I KNOW!! Trust me when I say YOU WILL GET NOTICED!!

"This irresistible men's fragrance is an ambery oriental with intriguing top notes of icy black fennel and silver sage heightened by crushed coffee beans. The fragrance demands attention with notes of living dianthus, Darjeeling black tea and dreamy violet leaves. Royal king wood, a Mary Kay exclusive, adds rich intensity to this men's cologne."

This by far gets the most compliments, followed by L'eau de Issey, John Varvatos Vintage, LIDGE, Tom Ford TV in that order...ITS THAT GOOD!

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

Dior Homme Intense is almost entirely the same as Dior Homme, but with subtle differences.

If you did not try Dior Homme (original):
    Go out and try it.

If you tried Dior Homme and did not like it:
    Don't bother with this one. Since they are so similar, if you don't like DH, you probably won't like this one.

If you tried Dior Homme and LOVED it:
    If you are a serious collector, you should have this variant of Dior Homme and use the subtle differences of both fragrances do your advantage.

If you tried Dior Homme and liked it (not loved it):
    You don't need both. Buy one or the other.

ElVee's avatar

Norne by Slumberhouse

Slumberhouse scents are powerful in-your-face scents with maturity and purpose. Most I've liked, and Norne is near the top of the group. It starts out with a nice burning, smokey dark pine scent. It does shift a bit in the drydown to introduce a few more mossy qualities and some incense overtones, but overall this smells like I've rolled around in fir pine needles all day. And I say that in the best way possible. Throw and longevity are excellent as with other Slumberhouse offerings.

cheryl's avatar

XIII La Treizième Heure by Cartier

I love this stuff. It makes me weak in the knees. Everything I want in a perfume: deep, complex, dark, primal. I guess it is smoked tea and leather. Unlike others I don't conjure up amber, patchouli or vanilla. But maybe there is a roundedness provided by the vanilla(?) Sigh. My lottery winnings, once that happens, will be going towards this.

Encre Noire by Lalique

First of all, I have great respect for this fragrance. The ingredients are high quality and this could easily be a niche fragrance marketed at twice the price, so if you like this fragrance, affordability won't be a problem.

However, despite how much I really wanted to like the fragrance (especially because of the appealing bottle design and all of the rave it has been getting), I ended up not liking it. It does have that ink cartridge, wet newspaper, wet and dry vetiver scent, reminiscent of a dark forest. While this fragrance is high quality and respectable, it does have many qualities that could be seen as flaws.

It is not a very versatile scent. It is mainly a winter scent, and shouldn't be worn in warm weather. I can't imagine the younger crowd (under 25) getting excited about this one. It is more for a formal event such as a black-tie event or an executive business meeting maybe. This is not something to wear on a casual day. For this reason, if you buy a bottle of this, you probably won't ever use most of it.

Others won't respond to this well. This is not your feel-good smell-good compliment-getter that you can wear to clubs and women would be all over you. This is not your Le Male or Armani Code. This is a dark sophisticated fragrance for refined tastes. While my nose appreciated this one, my stomach felt nauseous and my brain was having a headache.

Verdict: Don't blind buy. But definitely sample this fragrance.

TXAggie's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Way too much lemon for me and it never seemed to die down.

Bigtruck260's avatar

Quorum by Antonio Puig

I have a deep hatred for this fragrance.

That being said, I wear it to meetings and events when I feel that innate need inside of me to offend someone without saying any actual words or using non-verbals. Quorum is offensive and obscene. It screams obnoxiousness and grabs attention wherever it goes. It has a purpose though, and regardless of my hatred of it - I can't seem to cease wearing it.

Quorum is like that friend who only calls twice a year to brag about something he bought (while you are 100% certain he is one measly late credit card payment from bankruptcy). It's annoying, but for some reason you look forward to the call.

Quorum is like the Atomic Fire Island chicken wing...it's not fit for human consumption, so you buy ONE as a joke for the guy who says "nothing is too spicy for me".
    One spray, and it's an inside joke. Two sprays, and your friends will start planning an intervention.

There are a ton of notes listed, and honestly, looking at the pyramid makes me ill. Yet, somehow I still take a deep breath every Thursday morning and pump 6 massive squirts onto my shirt...drive to work with the windows down...and wait for the sillage trail to offend people. For that reason, I give it a neutral. Once a week, it's golden - every other day, it's as close to the garbage can as I can get it.

msi_21's avatar

Iran Iran

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

It opens with a shiny citrus note on my skin, albeit earthy vetiver is apparent from beginning. Develops pretty quickly and then earthy vetiver becomes dominant while those shiny citrus notes provide a fresh facet to the scent.

Very well crafted, classy and chic; it has moderate longevity and projection.

It's closer to 'Vetiver Extreme' by Gurelain than their classic 'Vetiver'. That shiny citrus note gives Grey Vetiver a little more sharp-fresh-dynamic character and I prefer it to VE.

Vetiver dominated scents usually don't find a place in my wardrobe, no exceptions here! However, I'm appreciative of the overall high quality of this.

7 out of 10 IMHO.

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

I don't know, it's warm and a bit sweet and some kind of apple scent but when I spray it I can't breathe. This fragrance lasts pretty long enough and I do not recommend you to wear it when it's hot/humid outside.

staticx's avatar

India India

Parah Man by Parah

This is an incredible stuff...I bought it blind just looking at the notes pyramid and I've no regrets!! It opens with a pepper blast and goes a little citrusy after a few minutes..the cedar, as The Cologneist said, unfolds brilliantly and stays till the end...I clearly smell the vetiver in the base but in a subtle way...all in all it is a brilliant scent. The only problem for me is the longevity...On my skin it vanishes in 2-3 hours and after, say 45-60 minutes of applying, it goes very close to skin..
    And yes the dry down gives a faint hint of He Wood by dsquared may be because of the well balanced vetiver in the base note.

Romance Silver Men by Ralph Lauren

Very cool, fresh, lasts long enough. If you like mint or some like that you should try this.

Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

First impression was a bit like Bittersweet and then the sweet scent remains, I mean seriously it's way too sweet than I expected which is I love about this frag.

The longevity is amazing, I wore this yesterday and still I can feel it.

The bottle design is really great cuz you can actually see the Bomb itself. But dissappointed at the cheap plastic safety pin and the spray. Compare to Ralph Lauren's Romance Silver Men or Hugo Boss Bottled. It sprays too much. You need to aware that.

Francolino's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

a charming classic, enthralling all the way!

rbaker's avatar

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

Reporting about A*Men Pure Malt's 2012 Limited Edition I note the obvious fact that this creation is based on the original A*Men.  Available via the Sephora website in France, the Limited Edition was recently launched on Mugler's US website.

The initial impression reminded me of Pure Havane in basic character, but less intense and the cherry tobacco being replaced with a cherry-fruitiness that is enhanced by a good whiskey note.  The drydown adds a bit of wood and smoke that merges into the original a*Men's chocolate and patchouli base note, but is retains its malty differences.
    It is less syrupy and heavy than Pure Havane on my skin, more restrained and elegant.
    According to the packaging it has been matured in casks such as  to attain the whiskey flavour. The longevity is about eight hours on me, which is very satisfactory in the true Mugler tradition.   Less intrusive than other Mugler scents but still quite powerful, this is a  great classic gourmand that I learned to love. I had a similar experience than Oproust in that the Muglers have started to grow on me over time.  Pure Malt is a wonderful fragrance that is less overwhelming than other Muglers.

Red Theodora's avatar

1889 Moulin Rouge by Histoires de Parfums

When I first dabbed my sample on my wrist I was immediately mystified. I could of sworn that I have smelt this somewhere before. This is , however, my very first sample of 1889 Moulin Rouge. So how could this be? After a half hour of sniffing and musing, it finally came to me. The top note smells (to my nose at least) like Red by Gorgio Beverly Hills. Very weird!

I like the drydown much better! Still, I am somewhat disappointed on the whole.

Red Theodora's avatar

Liaisons Dangereuses by By Kilian

In "Perfumes - The Guide" Luca Turin describes Liaisons Dangereues as smelling like rose jam. I say a more confectionary rose. Anyway, the conbination of plum, rose, coconut and cinnamon smell absolutely delicious to me. While I have only a sample now, a larger bottle will be mine!

Francolino's avatar

GrigioPerla by La Perla

fresh and sexy, a bit barbershoppy great all the way!

KillerScent's avatar

Black Aoud by Montale

This starts so medicinal, as many Montale fragrances .Then comes a strong rose smell , like many old woman fragrances .The best part is the dry down , when that strong smell of rose disappears .
    Longevity and projection are really good .
    Yes , I would say this is quite dark or gothic .

Smell:6
    Longevity: 10
    Projection: 8

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

To me, GIT is a classic. 10 out of 10, and that is a rating I rarely give out. Many people are debating on the comparison between Cool Water and Green Irish Tweed. I sprayed Green Irish Tweed on my left hand and Cool Water on my right hand. Here are the results

First Spray
    If we are going by the first impression. The first spray. The first ten seconds. The fragrances are much different. Cool Water is dominated by a heavy lavendar opening. Green Irish Tweed starts out with a very strong lemon scent. In all fairness, it was probably the most high quality lemon note that I know of. Eventually Cool Water organizes itself and settles down, in about 15-30 minutes. The lemon scent in GIT is more subtle and it really helps the scent overall. At first impression, they don't smell much alike. In a half hour, they start smelling more similar. Green Irish Tweed has an amazing opening, which is why it is a shame we have to say goodbye to it, but the drydown is amazing as well.

Are they similar?
    As they dry down, they are both very similar (like 80% similar), even though at opening they are almost nothing alike. Green Irish Tweed, up-close, is certainly of much higher quality than Cool Water. The ingredients are clean, crisp and much more easily detectable. Cool Water definitely seems to be the cheaper and more synthetic one in comparison. Green Irish Tweed easily wins, but both are very good fragrances. To me, I would give Cool Water an 8 or 9 and Green Irish Tweed a ten. Keep in mind that a ten is a rating that I very rarely give.

Is Green Irish Tweed worth the price?
    It depends. How serious of a fragrance collector are you? How much disposable income do you have? If you have no problem with investing a lot of money into a cologne collection because it is something you are really passionate about, I would easily recommend it. If you aren't too serious about cologne collecting and just want to smell good, then go with Cool Water. GIT is ten times the price. It is much better, but not ten times better. Cool Water gets the job done. Green Irish Tweed doesn't just get the job done. It gets it done masterfully.

Bottom Line
    Cool Water, as it passes through the air smells very good though up-close it may seem synthetic and cheap. The ingredients are harder to identify, but it creates an overall aroma and mood that most designers can't. Cool Water is not something to be examined closely, but rather taken in as a whole. Green Irish Tweed is the opposite. From a distance, GIT could easily be mistaken as Cool Water by the untrained nose, however, when you examine closely, GIT is unmistakably high quality and a real pleasure to smell. Cool Water gets the job done, but GIT will have you smelling your wrists all day.