Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

I'm going against the grain here, but, even though I really liked M7, I didn't find M7 Fresh impressive at all. It's not a bad fragrance, however it is an average one at best.

The cherry syrup opening of the original, is heavily toned down (good news for people who didn't like it). This one is dominated by grapefruit and ginger. The drydown has some of the elements of the M7 drydown. The projection is very weak, which is a shame, because the oud is so subtle in this one.

This one is like a summer version of M7, good for very hot weather. It is versatile and good for all ages, though the scent itself is not impressive. This one does not really stand out. It isn't that much better than the hundreds of ho-hum designer fragrances at the mall.

If you didn't like M7, you may like this one. If you like M7, you may or may not like this one. The only way to find out is to try it. I'm not urging anyone to sample this, but if you are interested, try it out.

Rating: 6/10

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

In his amusingly precious The Philosophy of Andy Warhol: From A to B and Back Again, Warhol includes a list of extinct fragrances from the 1930s and 40s that he's seen in old magazine adverts and now desperately tries to reconstruct from their names alone. Top of the list is Guerlain's Sous le Vent.

Well, Andy, Sous le Vent has been reissued and it's better than you could've hoped for: dry and elegant, a touch spicy (clove and cinnamon), electrifyingly citric straight out of the bottle, and austerely green (tarragon, galbanum, verbena, vetiver and moss are all present) from top to bottom. Comparable to both Vol de Nuit (likewise originating from 1933) and the later Derby, this is a classic chypre but with some of the genre's sharper corners smoothed over and rounded off. If you go back to those original adverts that tempted Warhol you'll see a woman with her hair blasted horizontal by a rush of air, and this imagery of ventilation, already hinted at in the name, is accurate: Sous le Vent smells like a typical chypre but aerated and much less heavy than its peers (try comparing it to Bandit, for instance, or Aromatics Elixir). The drydown is surprisingly gentle, almost self-effacing, and smells like Pond's skin cream – which is intended as a compliment.

Before his list, Warhol talks about the methodicalness and suitably pop-art neatness of his approach to associating times of his life with particular scents:

'I switch perfumes all the time. If I've been wearing one perfume for three months, I force myself to give it up, even if I still feel like wearing it, so whenever I smell it again it will always remind me of those three months. I never go back to wearing it again; it becomes part of my permanent smell collection. […] Smell really is transporting. Seeing, hearing, touching, tasting are just not as powerful as smelling if you want your whole being to go back for a second to something. Usually I don't want to, but by having smells stopped up in bottles, I can be in control and can only smell the smells I want to, when I want to, to get the memories I'm in the mood to have. Just for a second. The good thing about a smell-memory is that the feeling of being transported stops the instant you stop smelling, so there are no aftereffects. It's a neat way to reminisce.'

Sous le Vent is fighting for its life once again so the rumours go (but aren't they all?), so you'd better start laying down those smell-memories now, while you can.

CoL's avatar

I Love NY for All by Bond No. 9

Appears brevity is my thing these days when it comes to reviews!

Lanvin Avent Garde on steroids! That's what this is, possibly with a touch of CK One Shock for men. LOVE IT!!

cheryl's avatar

La Myrrhe by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is elegant and rich, though quite linear on my skin. I smell root beer, fruitcake and crayons. Somehow this festive list of components doesn't quite equate to joyous. The perfume remains quite serious in its demeanor. I guess this is my quibble with this interesting scent. I want it to "go" somewhere...emotionally, transformatively, down memory's path, but it doesn't. This seems to be a November perfume. Late autumnal.

cheryl's avatar

Azurée by Estée Lauder

I am sampling the vintage edition. Ok, this is hardcore.
    There are basically two components, dry bitter herbal + hardcore leather. Think biker jacket, not lady's purse. It is in the mold of a whole era of hard hitting femme fatale/old broad/take no prisoners perfume. If memory serves this is like Morabito's Or Black. This scent lingers beautifully on the skin, but be warned it is uncompromising.

pussinboots's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Grown men, please wear this in summer. It's to die for. I most sincerely cannot think of a sexier men's cologne. I immediately get a vision of a square-jawed, mature man (30s, minimum) - tan and fit, wearing a gorgeously disheveled white collared shirt by the sea. Possibly sailing. Shorts and bare feet. It just screams, "HANDSOME!" And also polished, but not too polished. Relaxed and confident. Perfect.

Don Draper would have worn this.

Heck, I may have to start wearing it myself in the "borrowed from the boyfriend" manner.

PerfumeEmporium's avatar

Jardin de Soleil by Escada

A sweet floral. Smells expensive and little old fashioned...but I would not classify it as an "old lady" fragrance. I would just call it classy :) Smells like honey and a beautiful flower garden.

Darvant's avatar

Rose Poivrée by Different Company

The note of cumin, when associated to a something animal-dirty and to a strong realistic floral pattern, tends effectively (as already noticed by others) to report at mind the superb McQueen's Kingdom and i agree who with subscribes that this Ellena's scent smells like a blend of Kingdom with l'Artisan's Voleur de Roses. This is a "carnal" rose, no doubts about, a rose that manages to be dirty-botanic (realistic and juicy at once) and angular-chic (forgive me if i write "unrealistic") at once under my nose. The first part of the development turns out as a fresh, grassy, "barely harvested kind" smell of red roses. The smell in a central phase becomes almost edible, spicy and juicy but at the end turns out  airy-dissonant and a bit angular because of the cumin-pepper's and may be geranium's influence. In this final phase the juice is more chic and fashionable than grassy-floral and lymphatic despite its musky-vetiver base. A notorious rose prominent fragrance that managed to play its role among the best roses around.

drseid's avatar

Umbra by Ramon Monegal

Umbra opens with a blast of fresh clean vetiver, before giving way to a peppery geranium tandem. The scent then takes a sweet turn by adding a large dose of tonka bean to the vetiver and geranium adding faint hints of oak moss and other woody aspects. The combined overall vetiver, tonka and woody accord reminds me somewhat vaguely of the sweet woody scent in Micallef's Gaiac (not that Umbra smells like it, per se). Projection and longevity are both below average.

I really enjoyed the vetiver opening to Umbra as it is quite fresh and invigorating. The geranium is also done quite well and relatively discrete, not calling too much undue attention to itself while melding with the pepper, but ever-present. The part of Umbra I have the hardest time with is the prominent use of tonka bean in the heart notes that turns the scent quite sweet. This somewhat makes the woody aspects of the scent a bit less desirable to my personal taste. Still, while I would say Umbra is not my kind of woody scent, I can still appreciate it as a good composition and give it a "good" 3 out of 5 stars.

11th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 July, 2012)

xmmmx's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Castoreum by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

I promised to write a review on Castoreum which I recently ordered . I must say I adore this smell, really earthy, almost woody. At first its kind of sour and reminded me on fermenting fruits, but as it develops on skin, leaves smooth, leather aroma and turns more sweet after some time. Lasts about 4-5 hours depending how much you put. I tried to wear it alone but I would recommend blending it with citrus or some flowers because it smells nice, but maybe it needs something to enhance its odor just to make it more sophisticated. I was surprised when I read that Castoreum is added in industrial foods and it is used to enhance tobacco flavor in cigarets. Maybe that's why I felt I had been familiar with this scent.

11th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 15 July, 2012)

chapter10's avatar

Wales Wales

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

Oh I like this...I know it could be described as girly,childish,sickening,etc...But the first time I smelt this it made me smile...Pink Sugar reminds me of Nesquick strawberry milkshake powder...Highly recommended whether your a teenage girl or a middle aged man.

11th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 17 July, 2012)

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

CB Musk by CB I Hate Perfume

Like the human beings responsible for them perfumes are, at base, beasts. There are four glandular secretions from animals common in perfumery, used either singularly or in combination: ambergris (coughed up by sperm whales), castoreum (taken from the abdominal sacs of beavers), civet (a speciality of the Ethiopian cat of the same name), and musk (harvested from East Asian deer). With CB MUSK, Christopher Brosius has attempted to 'reinvent' the last of these as the natural product becomes increasingly scarce following the introduction in 1979 of a protected status for the musk deer.

Musks are funny things, apparently existing at the extreme edge of what is detectable by the human nose (musk molecules are very large). A little research suggests the reactions to CB MUSK are diverse, many, and not easily reconciled. My own response will possibly add to the confusion, for what I smell is a peculiarly glowing, chlorine-like odour, with a milder strain of something feral lurking underneath. Imagine sniffing a little bleach and Serge Lutens' Muscs Koublaï Khän simultaneously (those who consider the Lutens a scrubber may have tested this hypothesis already). Scrambling for natural comparisons, the closest I can manage is damp mushrooms from a fertile patch of forest shade – which doesn’t sit very convincingly with the bleach-plus-MKK approximation, but this scent is really that tricky to describe.

CB MUSK has formidable sticking power and negligible sillage. Even if you don't like it, it's an excellent educational tool for sensitizing one’s nose to the quirky variability of musks. It allowed me, for instance, to identify what was musky about Frederic Malle’s Musc Ravageur, a way of cutting through its copious vanilla.

Demands investigation.

11th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 22 July, 2012)

Francolino's avatar

Quorum by Antonio Puig

classy and so old school, a quintessential powerhouse, gotta love this juice, bought a couple of bottles!

11th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 27 July, 2012)

ericrico's avatar

Un Homme by Charles Jourdan

An excellent fragrance from 1979...a year after Azzaro Pour Homme came out. The scent pyramid, while scaled down from Azzaro PH, has some similarities - and the nose behind it is Francoise Caron. The beautiful sharp opening of bergamot and lavender is accompanied by a distinct anise note (not mentioned above) as well as tarragon. It is bright and has the quality of an excellent pastis or absinthe in aroma. This is, in my humble opinion, truly fantastic! It is a lifted opening that immediately gets your attention and warms wonderfully to the skin. One who knows Vintage scents will immediately realize just "how" good this is within the first few minutes - and the best is yet to come.

For true lovers of Aromatic Fougeres...this is an excellent bottle and far surpasses many scents from the time period. The patchouli and cedar in the heart are brilliant along with a nice carnation and geranium. I, personally, do not detect jasmine although it is listed in other pyramids. There is nothing powdery about this either. Smooth, very smooth - an aura scent. One does not need to apply heavily, but definitely let it breathe on your pulse points. The projection is excellent and the longevity is very good indeed.

The base is where the refined power and beauty really show what this scent can deliver. With the lavender and anise carrying through to the end of the heart, it transitions to a very smooth and rich leather and very distinct oakmoss. The aromatics here are superb - with a smooth high-quality sandalwood, tonka bean and musk entering as complimentary notes. But it is the leather and oakmoss that, for me, make this composition outstanding. The patchouli stays for a long time too with the anise, lavender, and base notes - creating a nice earthy green note that is sharp and articulate. A touch of warm amber is detectable about 90 minutes in...which adds even more dimension and longevity.

Note separation here is simply incredible! It is astounding how good the quality of this fragrance is...quite possibly THE best aromatic fougere from the 70's & 80's that is relatively unknown (and definitely one of the best overall). I highly recommend it.

I bought a lot of several bottles from a private seller who I consider a friend and shared one at cost with a good friend here on Basenotes. I will let them add their comments - but for anyone who has a deep love for Vintage Azzaro Pour Homme (and Aromatic Fougeres in general) would find this as a stand-out bottle. I most certainly do.

No note is intrusive. Balance. Elegance. Great depth. Distinct and defined notes. Excellence. Very masculine with a macho vibe, but not overly so - this is in a word, suave. I cannot compare this to Vintage Oscar Pour Lui, except how one can separate the notes and smell the exceptional quality. To be worn with appropriate attire, confidence and a grin. This fragrance is another reason why Vintage Aromatic Fougeres with real oakmoss are so dear to me. They will never be made again as IFRA has banned oakmoss.

My final score for a lost and nearly forgotten gem - 9+/10. Cheers.

11th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 August, 2012)

Smelly Beast's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Oud Cuir D'Arabie by Montale

The first thing you get when you apply this is a very barnyard, fecal note, I'm not sure if this is caused by cambodian oud or a very animalic leather. But once you pass that stage the whole composition gets softer and a toned down version of the classic rose oud Montale combo emerges. I also get a pipe tobacco smell together with the leather in this stage that is very interesting. While it evolves the composition becomes very resinous, leathery and animalic, it gets very close to the skin becoming a skin scent, and when you think the scent is gone, you suddenly get a waft of it trough the air. Just marvelous!

I confess that the first time i tested it I got shocked by the opening accord. But then it started growing on me and I became addicted to its leathery, resinous and animalic characteristics, I think this is the best Montale I have tested this far. Highly recommended for all leather freaks out there.

11th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 16 August, 2012)

nfn1983's avatar

Iran Iran

Silver Scent Intense by Jacques Bogart

Massive sillage & longevity!
    People get really annoyed by overapplying it!
    IMO lacks the depth & character of remaining in memory!
    REALLY synthetic from top to base!
    very affordable price.
    So, not a bad frag. for the price!
    BTW is REALLY popular in my country & you can smell it everywhere! I think simply it's because of affordability!

11th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 15 February, 2013)

colormechris's avatar

Essence of United Colors of Benetton Man by Benetton

I was at Marshall's today and found a 1.7 ouncer of this on the clearance shelf. Unopened and only $5.00, it was a blind buy I couldn't pass up. Especially since I've started getting into Benetton scents recently. My theory is that Benetton has something of a mill in which they wait to see how other house's scents go over in the market. If it's a success, they put out a new juice that's strikingly similar. It's this kind of volume, I think, that accounts for their prolific out put. But here's the upside...the Benetton version is often far better than the original, especially when you factor in price, strength, etc.
    This Essence of Man is indeed similar to CKOne and Azzaro Chrome, two blockbusters for other firms. But I think "Essence" is much better than the aforementioned examples. The CK and Chrome are almost too much of what they are. They're both kind of runaway trains of the fresh-ozonic style. The Benetton fuses the better elements of both and comes up with a superior blend. Of course, this is all theoretical.
    The end result is a fine fragrance that I could see wearing a lot. The drydown phase reminds me of the scent of a men's hairspray that was very popular in the 80's. It was called Consort. I'm not sure if they still make it, but this Benetton frag is totally bringing me back to the Big Hair decade in a good way. I'm remembering my best friend and I getting ready to go clubbing and him with his can of Consort, applying the finishing touches to his hair. All the boys wore hairspray then. This was before they invented "product"...Good times!

Awakening950's avatar

Eau de Cartier Essence d’Orange by Cartier

It's simply the best smelling orange ever. It's a great scent to go to sleep with. Not very good longevity though.

silentrich's avatar

Citrus & Wood by Yardley

This one was referred by another basenotes member and boy was he right about it. Fantastic fragrance that has a natural smelling citrus and woods that are blended in very well. It does resemble Terre d'Hermes, but the combination of the citrus notes reminds me of the pineapple in Creed Aventus as well. Matter of fact Citrus and Woods could be put in a Creed bottle and people would rave about it. Under the radar fragrance for sure and something I'm very happy I discovered. A+.

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

This fragrance is very simple. It's purely orange. The smell of orange is so dominant that it overpowers everything else. It's strong and if you wear this, you will smell exactly like an orange peel. Of course, the ingredients are quality, but who wants to smell like an orange peel?

If you love the smell of orange and want a fragrance that is based on only one ingredient, sample this one out. Otherwise, pass.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

This flanker has none of the energy, passion and guts that the original has.

silentrich's avatar

Tous in Heaven Him by Tous

First thing that'll catch your eye is the really creative bottle. It's very detailed and is built to roll in a circle. Very cool! As far as the fragrance itsellf......welll it's also just as unique. Starts off with a healthy does of mandarin and pineapple with the cardamom playing a large part in the opening and through the heart. The violet leaf add some masculine touches to it, and takes the edge off of the patchouli in the base. Reminds me of Black XS or actually the new Black XS L'Exces. The difference is that there's not a strawberry accord, Tous in Heaven projects better, is darker and deeper in tone, making better use of it's notes, and has a coolness factor instead of a cheesy factor. Someone described the pineapple note in this as a very dark almost fermented pineapple. I'd have to agree and I really think that this accord alone makes this worth a try. Tous in heaven also seems more comfortable for the older crowd to enjoy than Black XS. A bit more grown up and quite a bit better.

colormechris's avatar

Norell by Norell

A classic. The new version stands up. This was from a cycle of heavy floral-cyphres from the late 60's...Estee Super, Ciara, etc. Perhaps the last gasp of old school, mink and diamonds, old money, country club, Mrs. Robinson style concoctions. Then, they would've bathed in it. To use it unironically today would require very deft application. But then again, it is a classic. Norell defines the word "luscious".

rbaker's avatar

Verveine / Verbena by L'Occitane

Wonderful bitter lime-like Verbena freshness, straight forward and without sweetness. Gone after about an hour and really a refreshing summer EdC splash, especially when used with the bath products.

L'Homme Blanc Individuel's avatar

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

I'd give Curve a neutral review if it weren't for the fact that I've gotten so many compliments from women on how I smell when I wear it. Best of all, I've never had anyone recognize the scent as being Curve. Do I love Curve? Nope. Do women love Curve on me? Yup. That gets a big thumbs up!

rbaker's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Dior Homme greets me with a restrained floral and fruity impression that is based on lavender and a subsequently increasing iris note. Later vanilla joins in with a touch of sweet leather, a bit like a fresher version of the Chanel EdT Cuir de Russie in some aspects. After the first hour I get mild cocoa-chocolate impressions.
    This fragrance is creamy, smooth without any edges, with the soapy lipstick base that has been mention many times previously. It has a formal touch and is a great evening scent.

A very soft, floral and gentle fragrance that is quite unique and very well composed. I can understand why the term “metrosexual” might be used in connection with Dior Homme. Longevity is a bit over two hours, which is not great.

msi_21's avatar

Iran Iran

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

It dries down on my skin to a fresh scent with a certain smokiness. The scent is pleasant and it may garner some compliments as well; but it's really generic! It seems like they got parts of Euphoria (by cK) and parts of Lacoste Essential and mixed them with some other things (!) in a new product called Bleu de Chanel.

Has good longevity and projection, but smells artificial. I expected more from Chanel! This perfume does not deserve the brand neither it does worth the price!

It gets 5 out of 10 IMO.

lauermar's avatar

Legacy 1912 Titanic by RMS Titanic

This scent was produced and distributed by the RMS promotions and exhibits office. The perfumer and bottle designer is still unidentified. I'm not sure anyone at HSN even knows. It must have been commissioned for them by one of the perfume houses. It took me months to get it, which means they had to wait until there was an economic order quantity to manufacture. This is definitely a limited edition. It's lemon and rose, very modern, good on its own merits, not like Shalimar or anything from 1912. Lots of staying power. Sillage not overpowering.

synthetic's avatar

cK one by Calvin Klein

I cannot fathom a reason why anyone would want to wear this. Brings to mind washing detergent sitting on tea-stained clothes.
    Now I can understand that when it first came out it caused a stir for it's unisex intentions but it doesn't make it good.

Francolino's avatar

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

old school powerhouse reminds me a bit of the first Davidoff, great and masculine just plainly love it, lucky strike in a hole in the wall scent shop in Brescia, Italy