Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

rogalal's avatar

Dreams and Visions by A Wing and a Prayer Perfumes

A nice natural perfume from a small Etsy perfumer. I expected the mimosa that I know from L'Artisan's Mimosa Pour Moi, but that's not what Dreams & Visions smells like. Instead, the mimosa and the other notes come together to smell to me like honey. On first application, there's a brightness that sort of reminds me of citrus, but it's quickly replaced by what smells to me like Red Hot cinnamon candies. I'm usually very wary of that Red Hot candy note, because it almost always takes a perfume into Christmas candle territory, but it's actually quite interesting here, brightening the vague honey smell. Also, though I'm probably making it sound like a gourmand, it really isn't. The candy cinnamon is more of a spice than a sweet, and the honey smell that I get is more flowery and savory than literal and edible.

All in all, I've had fun wearing Dreams & Visions for a few days now, but I'm not sure I'll ever be completely won over by anything with that candy cinnamon smell in it. It deserves a thumbs up, but I don't think I need a full bottle. Then again, it leaves me curious about the rest of the Wing & A Prayer line.

Volafox's avatar

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Nice, but just doesn't seem to fit my persona very well. When I'm feeling Iris, I have my Hermes Hiris that feels far more comfortable.

Next's avatar

Gli Odori by Odori

My experience with this cologne is the same as the previous reviewers, all of them. The first time i tried this I was put off by it. I had access to a great price so I tried it again, and again. Then it hit me, for my collection and what I have tested over the years it was the only scent that was really different. I think this is a very odd crazy scent that I just enjoy wearing at home. Its a welcome change from the burning alcohol main stream or the old style 80's power house. This is the first cologne I don't care about the reviews or ratings, its just weird and I'm okay with that. Would I suggest a blind buy, no way, never. Do I recommend it, no way. Go figure but for me it's thumbs up.

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

This opens with an overdose of lemons...and then you get more lemons and eventually it dries down to lemons presented over a base of vanilla-woody notes which as mentioned below gives impression of a creamy lemon scent. I think it can be seen as lemons poured all over Allure Homme; and of course crafted very well.

The scent is very pleasant and has a very refined style. It fits a young well mannered gentleman.

It has moderate longevity and projection on my skin. It gets 7 out of 10 IMO.

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

This is a nice presentation of tobacco-woody notes. It reminds of Vera Wang for men; but this one is thicker, sweeter and stronger.

Its pleasant but overly sweet for my taste. When it was launched I already had Vera Wang for men which is subtler and somewhat more citrusy than this; so I didn't consider adding it o my wardrobe.

Longevity and projection are moderate. It gets 6 out of 10 IMO.

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Blasts of grapefruit and other citrus with nutmeg, a bit of vetiver, nutmeg and a flowery note that later develops some wood. Aquatic, fresh but a bit boring and less differentiated and sophisticated than some other Chanel's. Adequate longevity of about three hours.

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

Bright, cheerful, green, a bit citrus and pleasant but overall a bit dull. I love the metal bottle protector, though; great for traveling indeed.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

A good pepper and citrus combination with a wood-and-leather drydown, but none of the components excite me or stand out as unique or exciting. This said, the quality of the ingredients is very good. A pleasant scent that is as versatile as it is uncreative.

mgrz's avatar

A*Men: Le Gôut du Parfum / The Taste of Fragrance [hot chili pepper paste] by

My favorite fragrances are ones I can smell on myself throughout the day with minimal sprays. This one more than meets the requirements! I didn't notice it at first, but after 20-30 minutes it seems this was a cloud that came closer and farther away as time passed. Sometimes I smelled it strongly, sometimes less so. The chili pepper paste truly enhances A*Men! I gather it's the coffee being bolstered, and this is a real work of art! I love the subtle/strong/spice/sweet changes! Unlike anything I've owned...It must be an hour in now, and I love the way it sneaks up on me, like a reminder! This is an awesome blind-buy, and I couldn't be happier. Bravo!

L.12.12 Vert / Green by Lacoste

By no means groundbreaking and I'm not sure if I would wear this, but it's one of Lacoste's few offerings that aren't flat-out terrible. Unique and masculine. I can't guarantee everyone will like this, but if you want to try a Lacoste fragrance sample this one first.

Eternity for Men Aqua by Calvin Klein

This flanker is neither Eternity, nor Aqua.

It smells nothing like Eternity, but sharing the name is an effective market technique.

It may start out with aquatic notes, but during the drydown it is woodsy, making it less recommendable for the summer and moreso for the fall.

Ho hum.

Brit by Burberry

Some may find it too sweet, but it really isn't that cloying. I definitely consider this gourmand which stands out from many other feminine perfumes.

Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
    Age: Any

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Not the same, but certainly in the same vein as Le Male, 212 Sexy and Armani Code. In fact I can easily think of this one as Le Male being re-engineered and the vanilla-fougere notes are weakened to give place to a Blood Orange note. It's not as versatile and pleasant as Le Male. Neither its as sleek and classy as Armani Code. But of course it has its own merits, even though nothing ground breaking presented here.

Sweet woody-ambry combination it is. Stays very long with monstrous projection. Makes a good choice for clubbing for a young man with casual outfit.

It gets 7 out of 10 IMO.

Bigtruck260's avatar

Pure Vetiver by Azzaro

In my opinion - one of the worst fragrances I have ever put on my body. I am a fan of the Azzaro house, and also of clean (soapy) vetiver. This 'thing' is about as nasty and synthetic as anything out there that I have sampled or owned. It's harsh from the opening, and I honestly do not detect any significant change in the 3 hours it has been on my wrist. I was really excited to try this one, and am very sad that it didn't live up to my expectations. Shame on me for raising the bar so high.

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

A fresh clean floral-with-tea opening greets me.  The tea is a gentle first flush and has got nothing in common with the heavy smoky variety that characterises its Black sister scent.  Gentleness is indeed a good way to describe this product.  Lavender,  Bergamot and -at least on me - a lot of Carnation are counterbalanced by the Darjeeling and a very mild pepper note.  There is a clear aldehyde impression, a bit Chanel-like.   The sillage and projection are very poor; this is a very very discrete scent on me.  After one hour it is very close to the skin, but multiple applications can augment this.   Overall longevity after one squirt is about three mainly faint hours.
    Its restrained nature makes is great for the office as it is unlikely to perturb anyone.
    For those looking for a very intimate, restrained, upmarket, warm and clean male floral without sweetness this is a good option; but in case you a looking for more creativity, projection and sillage Dior Homme might be worth trying.

Epicéa by Creed

A straightforward experience: Bergamot, lavender and gentle spice that leads to a pine drydown that is delightful in its simplicity. Conservative with reminiscences of Christmas in the snow. Winter forest in a bottle.

drseid's avatar

White Musk by Ramon Monegal

White Musk opens extremely gardenia heavy with a vanilla undertone that is ever so slightly powdery. The super-powerful gardenia remains well into the heart notes, now joined by a very clean light musk emerging from the base that adds nice support with just the faintest hint of rose present well in the background. Pretty much that is all there is as the scent is very linear. Projection and longevity are excellent.

White Musk is a very competent composition that is rather minimalist but well put together. My largest gripe with it is its heavy (I could argue too heavy) reliance on gardenia which really overpowers a lot of the rest of the notes. I find it a bit tough to wear as a man due to the gardenia coupled with its heavy projection, however I do not mean to imply it is *not* wearable by folks of both genders. If you like clean musk scents this is a good one, but make sure you like gardenia as well, as you will definitely need to in order to fully appreciate White Musk, IMO. Even though this is not my kind of scent, it is worth a sniff and I award it an above average 3 out 5 stars.

Beau Gosse by Fragonard

Cornershop citrus ‘masculine’ with slight cardamom twist as only redemption from generic morass. Later a vomitous fruit note a la CK Escape.

Cuir Pleine Fleur / Fine Leather by Heeley

This is the whisper that gets my attention, because it actually has something interesting to say. A gorgeous hazy suede with a penumbra of the sweet ‘acacia’ note, a touch of honey and rose, spreading across a landscape of cut grass and birches. Whereas most leathers have the feel of a long unopened cupboard or attempt to impress by amplification, this one belongs in the outdoors, smelling almost as good as fresh country air. Sniff it up close and it can be quite a dull thing: muted powdery leather with a bit of birch smokiness. But leave it be and it will creep up on you and surprise you with an irresistible sweet just rightness from time to time.

Eucris by Geo F Trumper

A glorious burst of blackcurrant, juicy, green, full of vegetal nuances, coupled with a full herbaceous bouquet. This surely is the scent of autumn. Over time musk and moss rises from some dank sheeted depth, full of mystery and shadows that dart out of sight. They just don’t make them like this anymore. Unfortunately, as heavy as a suit of armour. A good gift for a young goth?

Hasu-no-Hana by Grossmith

This is the glamorous one – rich florals, once again brightened by citric notes, but also propelled forward by oakmoss from the get-go. The base starts to rearrange the props early on here and the wonder is in the cleanness of its articulation, the woodsy notes and the oakmoss uniting with the florals without a hint of murk or muddle. Smashing. The drydown, though predominantly woodsy, still has many facets (now sweet, now resinous) which keep shifting imperceptibly.

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

There are some rare perfumes that from the first sniff convince you that theirs is the scent that you have always craved. But a fruity frankincense? Which gap in my brain’s olfactory map does that plug?
    Nonetheless, when I first tried this in an airport shop I got the full throttle rush of lift-off that real flight rarely provides. Where have you been all my life, I wondered. I was too broke to buy it there and then. When I managed to snaffle some samples relatively cheaply, I was anxious that the heightened pre-flight emotion may have had something to do with my response to Jubilation XXV. But no, the first spray came singing out of the vial, and subsequently the transport to bliss that this perfume achieves for me never seems to fail.
    The frankincense in this one is rich, clear, should probably come with a hallmark for quality; as expected it is supported by spice and woods, but with a tenderness that’s often missing. All wrapped in a magical berry fruit cloud – not tangy, but soft, plump, embracing. Jubilation is persistently sweet, but not in a loud, syrupy manner. No, it cuddles, nibbles your ear, unbuttons the will to pleasure.
    For my taste, this is pretty near faultless. On occasion I’ve had it do the ‘going down in volume and then coming back up an hour or two later’ thing, and it’s not a perfume I’d wear on a hot day, but those are minor things.

L'Infante by Divine

A sheer jasmine (mainly, yes there’s a smidge of ylang in the background) across which something subtle, synthetic and green creeps. Won’t scare the horses; resolutely fails to interest me.

Menthe Fraiche / Fresh Mint / Eau de Menthe by Heeley

After an impressive top with rubbed vinyl and grassy vegetal tones, this quickly went into almost pure fresh mint. Reached its mild woodsy base within an hour and had the longevity of a cologne splash. It’s natural alright, but also bit of a simpleton. I prefer my mint with more of a twist and will stick with the much more affordable AA Herba Fresca.

Opoponax by Santa Maria Novella

Get your oppoponax fix here – bright, sharp and true without the overdose of sweets that other perfumers feel compelled to use with this note.
    Starts with a short citric burst, after which the myrrh cuts its clean unwavering furrow. Some saltiness, a bit like sweat, a bit like fenugreek, accompanies but it seems like just another facet of the main oppoponax note and doesn’t disturb.
    A bit on the simple side, but great to perk up a dull, rainy day, or to just clear those sinuses. Longevity is only 2-3 hours.

Philosykos by Diptyque

After a spell getting increasingly bored by sniffing same old same old, I stumbled upon this marvelous green wonder which shifted my frame of reference.
    My first trial on a cool spring day demonstrated how a perfume can lift the mood and hold you in a bubble of contentment. Sappy, vegetal, a bit earthy, full of the vitality of living, growing things, this also has a milky comfort note lurking within it. A juicy delight. Fortunately there’s no ripe fig sweetness to it which would have seriously distorted its immaculate conception. Curiously the undertow of coconut (a note that’s usually a turn off) seems just right.
    I floated on this gorgeous cloud and the colours of the city seemed brighter and sharper for it. And wonder of wonders – it held onto its radiant opening right to the very end.
    I thought I’d found my ideal summer scent only to discover that it vanishes at temperatures over 20C, as also with physical exertion. But on cool days it will hold its own.
    A footnote: I received deeply traumatic news on a day when I was wearing Philosykos and now find I can’t go back to it again.

Rose d'Homme by Les Parfums de Rosine

The rose note is somewhat submerged in this smooth and thoroughly blended composition. What we have is a distant, sweetish, vaguely leathery and milky/lotioney concoction which while charming, dies down to insignificance all too soon. Maybe if the herbal notes had been a bit brighter this might have made a bigger impression.
    Received a second sample which had greater staying power and thus gave a better impression of what this perfume was all about; the notes which were vague in my previous paragraph come into focus and the prospect of owning a bottle seems welcome. But what does this say about Rosine – that one must be dependent on any particular batch in order to get lucky?

Sublime Balkiss by Different Company

This reminds me of that part of my childhood, when, bored on the sports field under the baking Indian sun, I’d be tempted by the cool shade of the abundant mahua tree (madhuca longifolia). The scent of the soft and creamy yellow mahua fruit – a bit overripe, somewhat fermented, intoxicating – invited daydreaming and languor. So does Sublime Balkiss, creating its own headspace of sweet and pulpy indulgence. There’s a whiff of burnt sugar if you sniff too close which can be slightly jarring, but there’s also a suggestion of leather in the base which is just right. A surprising Different Company offering – and the one I’m most tempted by.

Visa by Robert Piguet

There are so few straightforward fruity perfumes around (cheapo synthetic concoctions that smell like syrup don’t count) that haven’t been messed about with ill-judged spice or shrieking flowers. But then one has Visa – gloriously juicy and gumdroppy, full of optimism and abandon. What can I say – it makes me come over all fruity, in the mood for mischief. Sure there is a backdrop of top quality floral absolutes and there’s vanillic warmth in the base, but they play a muted supporting role to this 3-D, bite-into-it fantasy on white fruit. Some hours in, things get a bit more abstract, suffused with a rosy glow, but by then I’ve had my high. The deep base is mainly murky patchouli, as far from the opening as one can get – and a bit of a disappointment.
    Apparently the vintage was darker, all gussied up in a leather bustier. I couldn’t care less when the current formulation is this good, a pick-me-up for all seasons. Have Visa, will travel (no, make that: will dash about madly, giddy with pleasure).

Divine Bergamote by Different Company

Bergamot essential oil, lightened and freshened (lime and green notes), and with a hint of pepper in the opening which settles into ginger. Great idea for a body splash, a bit of a yawn as a perfume.