Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

impdaddee's avatar

Spice and Wood by Creed

Lemons and apples? That's what they say, and I can just sniff them out, like a couple of wedges of pie on another diner's table while drinking a cup of weak Earl Grey.

The spice and wood kicks in fast, rounded by the a subtle dirty sweetness of patchouli, and lasts long.

The dry-down is mostly dry-ish cedar plumped up with a hint of sexy musk. Nice enough, but ruined for about an hour with the emergence of the iris, a note that vaguely repulses me.

I was initially enthusiastic, until I noticed that the pepper note just kept on stabbing and slicing and hacking at my nose. Ouch. Ouch!! OUCH!!! Enough already, enough. (The Mayans used burning chilies as a kind of gas weapon.)

Overall, pleasant enough save for the chili dagger, but I laugh at the price. Good for some, not for me.
    =====
    May 10, 2013

Okay. Another wearing. Smells better this time, although the chili dagger still challenges me. My colleagues at work went berserk--"What are you wearing? It's incredible!".

14 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th May, 2013)

dollars&scents's avatar

Bottega Veneta by Bottega Veneta

Bottega Veneta by Bottega Veneta - Upon application, one is treated to a gust of freshness supplied by the orangey and peppery bergamot marrying with the sweetly fruity and spicy, pink pepper. Transitioning to the middle, a green, indolic, orange blossom-like jasmine encases the fresh opening. And, a subtle, Spanish leather reminiscent of a satchel with a suede interior infuses the floral jasmine, with its essences of generic herbs, fruits and flowers. Plums and apricots dart here and there, while an earthy and woody patchouli tempers the fruitiness and sweetness. A faint and errant aroma of nail polish remover can also be sensed. Segueing to the alluring base, a somewhat bitter and green oakmoss imparts its foresty and dark facets. A faintly burnt-sugar aspect from benzoin presents, resulting in a slightly powdery and caramel character, while a woody vanilla flitters about. The patchouli has come into its own with its greenness and woodiness enhancing a nutty nuance. An entrancing drydown ensues. This well-blended and balanced composition epitomizes understated elegance, and is basically a skin scent with good longevity, 8+ hours. Albeit tettering on the feminine side, this beautiful scent can be enjoyed and worn by the genteel members of both sexes.

Zhi's avatar

Aedes de Venustas Eau de Parfum by Aedes de Venustas

I am a fragrance collector and currently have 373 carefully selected bottles. This year I found Aedes de Venustas - it is amazing. Smoky and spicy, totally unique. Not for the faint of heart or those always seeking the approval of others. From the first day and with repeated use, this is number one on my list. Love it!

neal's avatar

Royal Oud by Creed

Really should be named "Royal Spice". Sure there's woods in there, but this is primarily dominant spices (think Lorenzo Villoresi's Spezie), a whisper of incense and subtle woods. Nicely done just not oud dominant.

Kalindi's avatar

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

I am surprised to read so many negatives for this scent that manages to be fresh yet elegant, peppery yet soft, pretty without cloying sweetness. Offering a bit more heft and longevity than Ellena's earlier Jardins, Apres La Mousson chases away the Ohio summer heat and humidity blues like nothing else for me since Roucel's Missoni. Very very nice, if not earth-shattering: I will look to invest in a full bottle ASAP.

Bigtruck260's avatar

Desire Blue by Dunhill

I have always been a fan of the Dunhill line...Xcentric was my signature scent in the late 90's and early 2000's. After it became difficult to find, I switched to Desire Blue (having never owned the original Desire). Yes, it has that aquatic note - and it's a summer blue, but it is far from the familiar light blue fragrances that have become so commonplace these days. Desire Blue is powerful and different - and has musky overtones that I do not get from Versace EF, Chrome, D&G Light Blue, etc. It's super masculine and versatile. Ladies seem to love it. Great projection and all day longevity.

Bigtruck260's avatar

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

I should start off by mentioning that I am not a fan of the fougere genre of fragrances. I have Quorum - but I only wear it when I want to make those around me angry. I can't stand the smell of Polo or anything close to it. However, I will make one exception for Sung Homme. I do not get the comparisons to Irish Spring or Polo. I do get a nice clean soapy floral feel with a little bit of kick - probably the sage and lavender. I wear this one to work early in the week, and it lasts all day - and is versatile in hot or cold weather. It's masculine, and draws a fair amount of compliments - so I am guessing it projects well. Sung Homme lasts a good while without being overpowering in the early going. It is extremely cheap, and can be had for less than $20 - so a blind buy won't kill anyone.

Versace pour Homme by Versace

This is a nice aquatic scent, but too subtle for my dry skin. Soon after applying, I barely know it's there. As so many have already said, it's very similar to other "aqua" and "sport" scents, but I think others have better projection and longevity. I expect more from the Versace name.

Gucci Guilty pour Homme by Gucci

This fragrance is one of my favorite. The low number of reviews, and poor ones at that, is a surprise. It is a little bit different than typical Gucci fragrances, which could mean it doesn't appeal to the typical Gucci fan. If I didn't know the brand of this fragrance I would probably guess that it was a Diesel scent. Like "Fuel For Life" or "Only the Brave", it's bold and sweet. However, it is unique and darker than those scents. I recently purchased the "intense" version, and love it. It's a younger, casual scent, definitely not meant for a formal event or sophisticated attire. Gucci was probably targeting the Diesel customers with this one, and I believe they've been successful in sales.

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

This is a youthful, fruity scent, with amazing projection and longevity. The first blast of notes remind me a glass of Hawaiian Punch. It dries down a little more subtle, but it will last throughout the day. Definitely a casual scent, something I wear when I'm in a good mood, and the sun is shining. It's not for everyone, but if you like a sweet smell, that others will notice, this one is a great choice.

A*Men: Le Gôut du Parfum / The Taste of Fragrance [hot chili pepper paste] by

I love the A*Men line of fragrances, so I blindly bought this one from the Mugler website, since I wasn't able to find it locally to sample. This was a mistake. The chili scent is overwhelming, and I have tried wearing it several times, thinking there has to be better notes if I wait it out. I never get past the chili, and I don't know why anyone would want to smell like a chili pepper. I'd like to say it's the last time I ever buy without sampling first, but probably won't be. I do regret this one though. But, I hope Mugler continues to try new combinations for A*Men, this is one list of flankers with some really successful results, like Pure Havanne and Pure Malt, and event eh former B*Men.

rbaker's avatar

Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

I het a lot of Lavender-flower and wood notes and some added spice. Finding it very conservative but wearable, it is unexciting to me. Average longevity of two hours.

rbaker's avatar

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Grapefruit, fresh mint, wood and later ambergris form a very lively and refreshing summer scent that I enjoy. Not a complicated composition, but convincing. Poor sillage and two hours of longevity - that is longer than many other summer scents.

synthetic's avatar

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

A smooth, well-blended and modern fragrance. Think of this as a classier, less synthetic Pi. The vanilla (Benzoin) is nowhere near as thick or syrupy as Pi but the notes are similar to my nose.
    The main difference here is the Eucalyptus opening. It's nothing like real Eucalyptus (I live in Australia...go figure) but I can see the "inspired by" quality of it and by the time the dry down comes it flirts with woods and becomes a nice camphor wood accord that sits nicely on my skin.
    However, problem with Body Kouros is that it is almost too well blended. It's almost as though everything in this is just too pleasant. Even the Eucalyptus note in the opening is too "nice". Nothing seems to contrast or stand out and unfortunately it makes this scent rather tame. If there was something in there that gave in a bit of hair on it's chest (not to the extreme of it's older brother Kouros) to vanquish that almost feminine like vanilla this would be great but unfortunately it's just too nice.
    Projection and Longevity aren't too bad, but it's also painfully normal.
    Body Kouros could be so much more but to me it is literally the epitome of tame.

teardrop's avatar

England England

Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain

The opening is warm, dry & woody, with a faint hint of patchouli which remains throughout. The incense slowly becomes apparent after twenty minutes or so, & then the whole thing settles into a dry, slightly powdery, smoky benzoin. lt projects very softly for around eight hours, before fading to a skin scent.
    l like this, but as others have commented, it lacks projection & complexity, being composed mainly of basenotes. And at this price point, l am quite relieved not to feel the need for a bottle!

teardrop's avatar

England England

Memoir Man by Amouage

This opens as a dark-green, woody & herbal scent, with a faint hint of mint which imparts a certain coolness. l don't recall smelling wormwood before, but l guess that's what l'm getting here. l find it quite hard to describe; l only know that on me it is less than pleasant, & rather like pond scum.
    After thirty minutes or so, this note moves into the background, & a dry, cool incense steps to the fore, joined sometime later by the warmth of ambergris. At this stage it is altogether more pleasant, but overall l find this scent too dark-green for my "green-amplifying" skin, & too far to the "masculine" side for me. lt has good projection & longevity, it is obviously high quality, & would probably be intriguing on the right person, just not me.

shamu1's avatar

Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi

I'm on the same page as The Good Life on Sandalo: this is my holy grail sandalwood.

I don't find this unusually dry or aggressive a treatment of sandalwood. I smell the sharp, dry woody aspects of the note, but I also get the creamy, milky qualities usually attributed to Mysore sandalwood in this too. I suspect the milkiness comes from the Ebanol synthetic sandalwood, not Indian sandalwood, but who cares?

Sandalo is the perfect sandalwood because it combines the sharp, creamy, rich and deep qualities of the various types of sandalwood all into one seamless whole. It is also great value for your dollar, since it projects well and lasts all day.

A perfect score from me!

MY RATING: 10/10

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

I have come to understand in the fragrance world you have different types of noses. Some trained and some not so trained. You also have different taste of fragrance. What smells good to me may not smell good to you. Fragrance is an art and art is of one's own interpretation and my interpretation of this is that this is one AWESOME fragrance for what you pay for it. I think I paid 14.99 for a 4.2 OZ bottle. As others have noted yes you will get atleast 8 hours out of this diamond in the rough and it projects quite well for the first few hours after application. What does this smell like? let me say it has been compared to Dirty English by juicy couture and I agree it probably resembles that more than any other but only at a stage of the fragrance. Ikon has three stages or phases it goes through.Upon application the first scent it smells like is John Varvatos at the top but only last for a few minutes then as it settles to the middle notes you get Dirty English and it stays that way pretty much through the rest of the scent but when it gets to the drydown you still have the Dirty English vibe but with Ambre by baldessarini thrown in there. I have owned all three fragrances and all are good but Dirty English was a dissapointment because it lacked longevity and projection and so did John varvatos. Ambre I love and have no issue with it. Ikon in my opinion takes the weakness of all these fragrances and makes it into something beautiful. This is Def a fall/winter fragrance and I can not wait to rock this when it's starts getting colder. Others have noted this to smell like a camp fire and I can see the comparison but to me this is like burning cinnamon incense or when you are grilling with wood and after the fire has down you get an aroma of smoldering ash.....I freaking love it lol All in all for the price you pay for this and the fact you get 8 hours from this is every bit worth having and some. I highly reccomend it. A+++++++

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

I love this....... Others have complained about the sour like note in this but imo it's the best note in this fragrance because it is so different than anything else out there.This is def a summer scent. I tried to pull this off in the fall and winter and I got no longevity or projection. Believe it or not I have wore this recently as hot as it is here and I got two compliments on two different days. I also applied it on at 7:30 am and recieved a compliment at 4:30 Pm later that day. This is a scent you have to take time with to appreciate its depth and beauty. A+

Boss Soul by Hugo Boss

Let me start off by saying when I first tested this on my hand I almost ran away from it. The initial blast to me was something medicinal and something hard for me to describe. I have learned that you can't judge a fragrance by a initial impression and that you should give it a full wearing before passing judgement. I got this dirt cheap and decided to give it a full wearing the other day and man oh man I am so glad I bought this. Yes its very subtle and the longevity could be better but the wood note in this is wonderful and I think if it had been stronger it might have been too cloying so I am actually glad its not stronger than it is. If I could describe this scent i would have to say it smells like nothing else on the market which makes this original in my book. If you find this dirt cheap don't be afraid to buy it. Give it a chance. I'm glad I did.

Vintage by John Varvatos

Yes as everyone has noted the scent life on this is between the 3-6 hour mark but my gosh in those hours this is AMAZING!!!!!Masculine all the way and I love it. I wore this two days in a row and in those two days I received two compliments from two different people.The scent alone makes up for its poor longevity. Try it out and if you come in contact with someone between the life of the scent I bet you will get a compliment. I know I did.

Perceive for Men by Avon

Perceive is another fragrance by Avon that would put some designer houses to shame. I admit that there are some below average fragrances by Avon but perceive is not one of them. This stuff is GREAT. The two notes that stick out most to my nose through the whole duration of the scent is grapefruit and mint and boy is it done right. Projection is decent and the longevity with this one is atleast 6 hrs. Absolutely worth every penny you would pay for this. Big thumbs up way up.

Mesmerize for Men by Avon

Honestly, Avon's mesmerize would put some designer fragrances to shame. This thing is amazing. It's a perfect combination of masculine and sexy all at the same time. Oh, and this thing projects like a beast. Longevity is great you will get atleast 8 hrs if not more with this fragrance. Price range? $20 on the avon website for a 3.4 oz. you can not find a better deal anywhere for the juice you are getting. If you want to risk it you can try ebay for a great deal as well. Bottom line don't let the avon logo stop you from trying this it is truly a great fragrance.

Update: I had to come back you guys and update to let you know I sprayed this on my wrist at 12:30 pm and its now 12:30am I can still smell it. Not as strong as the beginning of course but its still there and rich smelling. The drydown reminds me of a cross between A*men and dunhill's desire red and I know the pyramid does not list vanilla in this but I def detect vanilla. A very nice long lasting fragrance by Avon. WOW

Joop! Homme by Joop!

I bought this cologne for one reason only. The DRYDOWN. The drydown to this thing is GORGEOUS!!!! Yea the top notes are a bit harsh and hard to handle at times but I am willing to wait so I can experience the vanilla and tonka in the drydown. This is a drydown fragrance lol. Projection and longevity as everyone has stated are amazing. Next time you test this one and discard its harsh top notes just wait for the drydown cause you might be pleasantly surprised.

Bond Girl 007 by Avon

This is one amazing womens fragrance from Avon. My mom wears this and it smells awesome on her. She says she can put it on in the morning and still smell it late that afternoon. A++++

drseid's avatar

Cuirelle by Ramon Monegal

Cuirelle opens with a suede-like smooth and creamy leathery accord sweetened with traces of patchouli, before segueing into its waxy honeyed frankincense laced leathery heart with cinnamon and mild woody cedar accents providing support. The frankincense and cinnamon hang around though the dry-down as the suede dissipates leaving the scent slightly sweet during the base notes. Longevity and projection are both average.

Cuirelle is definitely not the leather scent I anticipated it to be. It rather is more of a slightly sweet frankincense fragrance with suede leather supporting it throughout. Honey to a greater extent and patchouli to a lesser one play significant roles in sweetening the scent while not altering it primary nature. I find myself truly enjoying this take on frankincense and leather and feel Cuirelle is a fine addition to the Monegal house. Hardcore leather purists may be somewhat put-off by it providing more of a "spirit" of leather presentation rather than a "straight" presentation as is usually found, but I find it rather intriguing and refreshingly different. Cuirelle is very good smelling and earns a strong 3.5 out of 5 star rating.

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

This is one masterpiece of a fragrance. I really can not get enough of this. EA fragrances brought this back and I am so glad they did. Its rich,elegent,sophisticated,and my goodlio it's strong and I love it!!!!! This is a mans scent. MASCULINE all the way. I get at least 6-8 hrs on this and it projects quite well. When aquatics start to be a bore reach for Giorgio not only will you smell like the man that you are but you will also attract the likes of opposite sex.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Tommy Bahama for Men by Tommy Bahama

Tobacco leaf dominates this perfume from the get go. It opens peppery/spicy and very smoothly turns into this woody/leathery drydown that reminds me a lot of Dirty English and Terre d'Hermes. I can not really define an opening/heart/basnotes in this perfume, it is not linear, but I can not detect "stages", it moves smoothly and seamless from the beguinning to the end, wich to me is the signature of a well done fragrance.
    After the spicy tobacco leaf start to subside, the tobacco leaf, along with the patchouli (maybe a hint of vetiver too) creates this woody note that leans toward leather that is magnificent. The amber gives some sweetness that cuts the dryness of the tobacco/leather note so it is not too harsh.
    A truly delightfull scent with decent longevity.

SpicyPepper's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I bought this scent because it was highly recommended by the fellow bn community,( i was looking for a signature scent) WOW is all I can say, wearing this inspires feelings of dominance and confidence. Wearing it you grow a pair if you catch my drift.

I can see why this wasn't a take off hit that it should have been because the top notes on a tester are quite repelling on your skin it is how ever a much different story. A story of when men were men and had mustaches. That is not to say that this is an old mans fragrance, It came out in 03' this is more of a tribute to that era and is timeless.

I'm not gonna describe to you the notes or smell because others with better noses have already done that. alas this did not end up as my signature scent, i save it for special occasions when i want to feel extra confident, or i'm dressed to the nines. try it and buy it people you wont regret it.

fubar1963's avatar

Fleur d'Oranger by Evody

I loved this fragrance. I thought it had a very tuberosy and orange blossom aroma. Very sexy! It also has great longevity and good projection.