Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

Dianthus by Etro

I'm one who's never been seduced by dianthus/carnation - I think it's the spicy clove. And to me that's what stood out most about this fragrance. It was well-done, fresh, realistic, sparkling - I recognise its quality. I can't diss it for more than being what it is. Don't let my lack of appreciation of the carnation fragrance deter you from trying it, though. But FYI, that is what it is.

ozebarjadi's avatar

Bois de Cédrat by Creed

Falls somewhere between Cacharel and Eau Sauvage.
    ES does it for me.

Vamp à NY by Honoré de Prés

A nice play on tuberose. The word 'vamp' itself is somewhat a caricature, so the vamp sensibility of this fragrance is both real and played with. Tuberose can have a cloying and tenacious carnality, sort of forcing itself on you, so I appreciate the fact this fragrance both lets you enjoy the definite femme fatale appeal and doesn't get focused on the histrionics this note is capable of.
    That being said, it is still a tuberose fragrance, with all that implies. By coincidence, I tried this, "Nuit de Tuberose" by L'Artisan, "By Kilian Beyond Love - Forbidden", Caron "L'Accord 119" and "Daphne" by CdG from the same sample packet. It was a memorable sampling day, as you can imagine, with all those big femme fatales going at it on my skin. It left me slightly intoxicated.
    I happened to fall in love with Nuit de Tuberose, with that incensy vibe - grrr. But this one is great - higher, more feminine, more vampish. I liked it just fine, better than By Kilian which annoyed me. But how many tuberoses do you need in your wardrobe - a decision I have to make. Definitely worth a try. And it's so cool that it's a natural. I think this is a showcase of how you don't need to be dependent on synthetics as the perfume industry assures us they must. There is nothing in this frag to indicate it isn't anything but a head to head contender with any other tuberose fragrance. It doesn't need to be put in a special category to explain any limitations. This one is totally up for the center ring. I personally feel it's a plus for this fragrance that the thought 'natural' never crossed my mind.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 1 Leaves: Calamus by Comme des Garçons

I love both green and naturalistic fragrances, and this covers both bases nicely.
    It's one of those frags I wear to 1) get in touch with the natural in me, especially in the dead of winter 2) smell pleasant but discreet in daytime situatiions, and 3) just for the smile it puts on my face, meaning it has kind of an uplifting, refreshing energy, somewhat clearing to one's aura, sort of an aromatherapeutic quality, which is a nice double-duty, considering many centuries ago, that was the origin and reason for people wearing fragrances - a far cry from the purpose of the perfume industry today.

Peau de Pêche by Keiko Mecheri

Likeable, friendly, easy-to-wear peach-sandalwood. The orris and sandalwood don't make it powdery as much as kind of opaque and full. It's not overbearingly fruity or peachy. doesn't get high or shrill, stays very mid-tone. This strikes me as versatile, and easy to adapt for many different type of wearers and places.
    The combination of peach and sandalwood made it kind of unique to me, as it didn't fall into a category to my nose, and it took several tries to see if I liked that amorphous, easy going, vaguely peachy wooded roundness. I was having mental problems with its lack of distinctness, of what was to me an undefinableness. Then I wondered "What's my problem, do I like it or not?", decided I did, and now I'm fine. :-)

shamu1's avatar

Michael Jordan by Michael Jordan

Granted, this fragrance has gotten some respect here, but I don't agree that it's only a decent scent. I think this is a marvelous fragrance, with some of the best uses of spicy and woody notes I've smelled in a long time!

Michael Jordan is dry and intense. Like all so-called sports frags, it does smell fresh, but that's where the similarities end. I've never smelled any sport scents that make such strong and aggressive use of spicy, evergreen and woody notes as this. It's like getting a can of peppercorns, cloves, incense cones, juniper berries, pine needles thrown in your face! I love this!

It all dries down nicely to a very masculine incense, patchouli and sandalwood base, with no silly vanilla or sweet amber notes anywhere to be found. Hooray!

This Michael Jordan fragrance was such a pleasant surprise for me. It's crudely constructed, but this is so much more than just another fresh celebrity fragrance. I'll be buying backup bottles of this.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

15 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 16 July, 2012)

rbaker's avatar

Jazz Prestige by Yves Saint Laurent

Prestige was a fairly regular wear of mine over a couple of years, and I never ceased to enjoy it. I found it to be nothing unique, but the great combination of mint and apples with a flowery undertone was quite special and always cheered me up. The wood that emerged a bit later was clean and bright and merged very well with the other components. Longevity on me was limited to about 1 1/2 hours; it lasted longer on the clothes. A great summer fragrance without the usual citrus opening, and eminently suited for cooler days of the warm season. A shame is was discontinued.

15 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th August, 2012)

cinnamonswirl's avatar

Sensual Amber by Bath and Body Works

This is a lovely ambery, vanilla-y, fruity scent that outclasses the other fragrances from BBW. It's warm and sexy and lasts a long time.
    All in all, a lovely, warm sexy fragrance in a pretty bottle, and a bargain for $20. I just hope they don't discontinue it.

Update (October 2012): As much as I loved this fragrance when I bought it, I was utterly sick of it within two months. It started to smell too cloying and sweet. Now it's a room spray, which it's good for because it lasts a long time.

15 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 22 October, 2012)

Velvet Sublime by Dolce & Gabbana

While I wanted to like this one (the concept sounds sublime, "Its inspiration is the orange groves of Sicily. Sun warmed acqua with Sicilian mandarin, orange blossom") alas, what got me was that acqua note, which most aqua notes usually do.

I smelled this delightful pastoral air for about 30 seconds, the time it took for my skin to react to the synthetic aqua note. At that point, all was lost, and I was left adrift in the big blue synthetic ozone that is my sad experience with most synthetic marine and water notes. I relate so well to the Rime of the Ancient Mariner:
    "Water, water, everywhere, nor any drop to drink"
    :-(

15 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th January, 2013)

31 rue Cambon by Chanel

I concur with ilvanita - it's sophisticated from the start and is luxurious, complex and safe. Why safe? Because it is so appealing and likeable a fragrance, a compliment-getter. I don't consider myself a fragrance snob, but I passed on this at first because it was too easy and likeable. I retried my sample later, and... what was I thinking?
    I find it comfortingly feminine in a sexy way, like it validates your femininity. Being a chypre makes it even easier for me to love. And I like its distinctive Chanel tone. I don't know if it should be called an instant classic, but it sort of has that feel.

15 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 May, 2013)

D.Sprad's avatar

9 IX Rocawear by Rocawear

Not only is this stuff cheap, generic, and forgettable, it's also unbelievably synthetic and awful. It inspired one of the worst headaches I have ever felt. Any and every subsequent uses also bring about headaches of a milder variety, but I still don't care to use literal Headache Maker Juice. There are simply no redeeming qualities at all. Not one. Anywhere.

Agent Provocateur Eau Emotionelle by Agent Provocateur

It took me a while to review this one. I was holding out hope on it but I've finally thrown in the towel.
    I love the original AP, but as many reviewers note, you can't wear it everywhere. I thought a lightened version might be really awesome. It doesn't need to be a clone, just have the same sensibility, and I understand you can't use all the notes of the original, and just water them down. There's some serious sexy flirtation going on in the original, and you need to water that down too, or it ends up being yet another fragrance you can't wear out in the light of day. So it *does* need to be a little different, a little tamer. I'm okay with that.
    My problem has nothing to do with the concept or their rendition. It is a simple clash of chemistry, which I was hoping might change over time... but it hasn't. I love rose, but my skin is pretty picky about which ones it likes. It totally has a mind of its own. The rose in the original is fun, sexy, but still sweet, and my skin loves it. Not so with Eau Emotionelle. It may not be the rose producing the synthetic note I'm getting, but whichever molecule it is, my skin and it are not doing well together.
    I liked the idea of a daytime AP enough that I've been willing to try it three different times over three years. But I'm going to give this up.

Mon Numéro 6 by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I get some nice delicate facets in this one for about 30 seconds, at which point a very discordant sickly sweetish note starts to emerge, and stays throughout the life of the fragrance.
    It's actually a less strong version of the same note that submarined Diptyque's L'Ombre Dan L'eau so badly for me. They smell pretty the much the same, though it isn't as strong or bad in this one as LODL.
    I'm not sure which note it is - it must be one of the fruits, but unfortunately, it doesn't really matter. It pretty much rules this one out as something I can wear.

tourmaline's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I am female, and I completely agree with the reviewer down below who said Kouros smells like a locker room. It really smells just like that. I have been inside men's locker rooms a few times before (don't ask...) and Kouros smells like the steam from the showers, the sweat from the bodies, the urinal cakes, and the deodorants sticks. Kouros perfectly balances shower-fresh clean with raunchy sweaty body. Now, as a woman, do I find the smell of Kouros attractive? It is pleasant and definitely interesting. But here's the thing: if a woman thinks you are good looking and attractive to begin with, she will most likely be down with whatever scent you are wearing assuming you don't completely reek of it. But if a woman does not find you good looking or attractive in general, no fragrance is going to turn her around and draw her in. Guys really need to accept this. There is no cologne that is going to make a woman want to sleep with a man if she's not attracted to him already in other ways. Sorry guys. Anyway, back to Kouros. It's a pleasant scent, smells like a PE locker room at a high school (which I think is what they were going for i.e. Kouros = a male youth), fascinating balance of soapy clean and sweaty dirty, I give it a thumbs up, and I even think that daring women can wear this!

Love Spell by Victoria's Secret

I just flat out hate this. According to others I've met, this is supposed to smell sexy, but to me it smells like a weird combination of rotting ginger candy and the sharper, tarter side of a fruit scent. On me, it's very, very unflattering.

Bon Vivant by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Fabulous. It doesn't smell like champagne so much as pure fizz mixed with those little tart strawberry candies that come in the strawberry painted wrapper. It's girly, but not too sweet.

The Knave Of Hearts by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

What it says on the tin. I used to work in a bakery and this is absolutely a puff pastry crust scent mixed with a berry filling. I wish this came in a room spray, however, as it's almost too foody for use on a person.

L'Homme Blanc Individuel's avatar

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I'm torn between a neutral and a thumbs down, but in the end, it's a down. Thumbs up = I'd pay for it. Neutral = I'd wear it if I got it as a gift. Thumbs down = wouldn't buy it and wouldn't wear it even if it was free.

Gucci By Gucci is one big meh.

L'Homme Blanc Individuel's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Thumbs way up, even though I'm not entirely sure why. This is such a simple scent, and yet it's not. Initially, it smells like church to me. But the more I sniff my wrist - and let me tell you, I haven't been able to stop sniffing my wrist for hours - I sense so much more here. There's a soft sweetness to Gucci Pour Homme (otherwise known as Gph1). I get wood and incense with an underlying sweetness.

I smell this and I feel comfort. This scent is so bold, and yet, it leaves me feeling comforted. So strange... but I love it.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

parfums*PARFUMS Luxe: Patchouli by Comme des Garçons

Syrupy patchouli?? I must confess I didn't enjoy the opening. The immortelle note ruins the start for me but thankfully takes a back seat soon enough to allow a full-bodied patchouli to shine through. The patchouli here is not particularly earthy, it's more balsamic and herbal. But it wears smoothly and lasts quite a fair bit as a skin scent. If you like your patchouli with some sugary undertones, you got to try this.

Hoppity's avatar

Chantilly by Dana

Review of vintage Houbigant version.
    I truly hate this. It makes me feel really nauseous, too sweet, too heavy, too cloying.

Zut's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

This fragrance (so I was told) was meant to be a masculine counterpart of Shalimar. Habit rouge does share some of Shalimar's rich, sweet and intoxicating notes but as far as I am concerned, this is where the comparison stops. Now don't get me wrong. Habit rouge is a wonderful and original fragrance (at least, it used to be) but in my opinion, it has never been a patch on Shalimar. In spite of everything, I used to like Habit rouge quite a bit until recently when Guerlain did to it the same shameful thing they did to Vetiver. Now, Habit rouge is just a mere shadow of what it used to be. It seems like they reduced it's concentration to the aftershave level almost. The former Habit rouge, like all great Guerlain fragrances, had amazing longevity and stability. The new one has virtually no staying power, more's the pity. It reminds me of a wispy amber-based eau de cologne that was sold in drugstores back in the 80's for less than 20$ (for a 500ml bottle yet!). I often heard some old-timers in the cosmetic retail arena say they don't make perfumes like they used to and I tend to believe it.

Note about the change in concentration: I spoke to some Guerlain representatives about this and they swore that their fragrances are still made exactly the way they were always made. Conversely, I met representatives of other fragrance houses who told me that due to the rising cost of some basic components, they actually lowered the concentration of their EDT's because if they kept making them the old way, they had to increase their price considerably (in some cases, there could be a 300% or even 400% mark-up) and they would lose their client base. Who is right? If anyone here could shed some light on this, I should be very curious to know.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Richard James by Richard James

How could I have missed reviewing this for so long? To me Richard James EdT, like Burberry Brit Men, is a very fine example of that quintessentially British style of dandyish but refined perfumery for gentleman built around citrus, powder and florals, transposed with aplomb to the 21st century. It is well-balanced in its multitude of notes, but not wishy-washy, the tuberose making a clear statement beyond bland conventionality. Yet not loud, though lasting and the powderiness, which cna be a bit oppressive in classics such as Crown Imperial, is lucid and transparent, jazzed up with contemporary niche aspects (the "starched shirt" note) and supported by the elegant suede accent. Savile Row hip, just the image this house projects with its clothing as well. The later perfume releases are quite a let down, but this is a great one, and a must have for the modern Anglophile gentleman.

Aleksandr by Arquiste

Second favourite in this new line from New York. Aleksandr is basically a soft leather fragrance, but seems to be a rip of Lutens' Daim Blond albeit less sweet, which is a blessing imo. Will probably never purchase but a thumbs up anyway.

L'Ambre de Carthage by Isabey

I try most amber fragrances and L'Ambre de Carthage is now amongst my collection.
    Nice zingy opening soon collapses into a rich, resinous amber laced with musks and the lovely osmanthus note - a rather brave and daring idea.. I actually much prefer this over the Hermes Yunnan, which I didn't take to at all - being a bit scratchy against the smoothness of this . Lasts all day on me and I find it to be more masculine than unisex. Ridiculously priced but worth testing.

Forêt de Bécharré by Nez à Nez

Strangely lightweight scent considering the supposed notes included. The lasting impression is that of sugary amber. The problem is, I can't actually say I dislike it.

lauermar's avatar

Norell by Norell

Just got this. It's remarkably similar to Estee Lauder's White Linen.

Shadya's avatar

Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

I received Jasmin Noir as a gift from a friend. On her, the fragrance smelled divine! Out of the bottle, the scent seemed a little overpowering, but the effect was fleeting. I used Jasmin Noir often, and happily purchased another bottle, but the fragrance began to sour on my skin. By the end of the day, I couldn’t stand the remaining fragrance.

Jasmine is not what I smell when first applied. There is a gardenia floral first impression with subtle notes of Tonka bean and a hint of green. To me, the scent of Jasmine was not how I would have described it. After the dry down, the hint of green disappeared.

This is not a bad fragrance, but Jasmine Noir is not exactly something I would wear long term. Perhaps this would be a fragrance that could be worn for occasionally. I do prefer Jasmin Noir to the oil-based perfumes in Doha, as they can be overpowering.

OregonAutumn's avatar

Hungary Hungary

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I'm not really into the mainstream bottles and hate to jump on the hypewagon, but this one is a WAY different story.

We all know the drill here, this one is the quintessential "LOVE or HATE" gourmand scent. I've bought a small package and instantly fell in love.

It is loud. Very loud. Definitely garners compliments, women dig this guy. Longevity is great; and it projects forever. 10-12 hours - at least. No jokes, no hype, heard rumours about new bottles with poor longevity, but mine is that great. I've seen some reviewers calling its longevity/projection "God Mode". 3-4 sprays will do it, don't even think about more, if you overspray it, you are going to have a very bad time - it can be cloying in a small and/or crowded room.

Longevity: 100/10
    Projection: 100/10 (this is an edP in my eyes)

Overall smell: 10/10, great all the way, but it is popular.

Sample it.

Marais's avatar

Jungle pour Homme by Kenzo

As the name suggests, this smells quite exotic; the lime and cardamom on a background of woods initially calls to mind Voyage d'Hermes EdT but there is an added tropical twist from a ripe fruity note. A sweet creamy quality (the benzoin I think) provides contrast to the dry kitchen spices. An oriental fragrance light enough to wear in summer. Average longevity, good on fabric. One of the more interesting of the current Kenzo line-up and a solid thumbs-up from me.