Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

Oud Cuir D'Arabie by Montale

A hospital janitor using bleach to clean puke off the floor. Oh, and an animals corpse by the roadside rotting in the hot summer sun. Why do I love this?

Leather Oud by Christian Dior

This one is extremely interesting and intriguing. I do love it. I did however give it a 4 out of 5 stars, simply for the fact that I do feel the civet needs to be toned down. Other than that, the longevity is excellent and it's a beautiful fragrance.

dmcwilliams's avatar

Acqua di Selva by Visconti di Modrone

This is my first post on BN. Thanks to all for their insightful reviews and comments.

This one was a blind buy based on my desire to find a classic, refreshing cologne that is not your run of the mill fragrance and a bit unusual and something you don't find everywhere. My first impressions of ADS were not all favorable, but it finally grew on me. At first, I was hoping for a more citrus base as that is my preferred scent, but it was initially more of a minty note with a powdery dry down. After a week or so it continued to grow on me and I now can appreciate ADS for what it is...a clean, simple fragrance that does not stick with me to long and that is the way I like it.

My cologne collection:
    Hermes D'Lorange
    Hermes Equipage
    Floris Elite
    Floris Gentlemen's cologne
    Davidoff Zeno (use very sparingly but enjoy for evenings)

Kaern's avatar

Anima Dulcis by Arquiste

Another New York outfit creating a line of six new scents. A bit hit and miss but this and 'Aleksandre' stood out for me. Anima Dulcis is a rich out and out gourmand -- it may be because of the weather here that I was attracted to it -- the cocoa notes are prominent but tempered by the spicy smokiness. I'm actually surprised that no tobacco note is listed as it does have that vibe. Prolonged wearing increases it's loveliness, i.e. the drydown is tremendous and long lasting -- almost spritual sometimes. Probably best for the Autumn, but it feels like that now. It also smells expensive and unfortunately is.

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

There's a lot more going on in this one than some give it credit for. Compliments galore as well. Most every scent on me has horrible longevity but not this one, it stays around for a long time. The smokey aquatic heart and base of this scent makes it MUCH deeper than some may think when they write it off as generic. Those wanting a scent that smells stunningly fantastic, this is it. You won't find anything challenging about it, which is the point.

Shadya's avatar

Ô de l'Orangerie by Lancôme

Love this scent for summer! Top notes are clearly orange and delicious. After dry down, the orange becomes more subtle with a hint of cedarwood. Jasmine is not so obvious, which would make the fragrance too sweet. Citrus frangrance that tempts the tastebuds, but not too intense. This frangrance would be wonderful for everyday routines. Fragrance does not fade that quickly.

Shadya's avatar

Un Jardin Sur Le Toit by Hermès

Un Jardin Sur Le Toit is different in an unexpected way. When I first tried this fragrance, "WOW" came right out of my mouth. Somewhat sweet, green and a hint of rose. Although to me the fruit never really became distinctive in Un Jardin Toit, I must say the resulting medley is distinctly unique among summertime fragrances. To me, the sweetness is more noticeable upon application, but quickly dissapates on the dry down. A little spray goes a long way, but what a lively and upbeat fragrance to use in daily interactions.

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Hermèssence Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermès

Osmanthe Yunnan is a nice subtle scent that will not offend anyone. It starts with a nice fruit smell of sorts, apricots & oranges pave the way with a lingering note of tea. Leather??? HA! This is a very nice aroma that conjures up memories of sitting in my great granny's backyard looking at the garden where she grew fruits & things as such.

The problem that I have with this fragrance is that it does not project much at all, nor is the lasting power good. It is almost average... I can say that this is one of the fragrances I do not care for from this line, while being nice & inoffensive, it lacks the POWER I would like & appreciate with a fragrance. Natural smell, great ingredients all creates a piss poor longevity concoction. Not full bottle worthy, I'll pass.

Smellitivity's avatar

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

In the too populated category of sweet florals, Euphoria smells different and more complex, thanks - I think - to a creamy note right after the beginning, and a metallic one at a more advanced stage.

The dry down is sweeter in a more conventional way, but all in all Euphoria has more personality than the rest in the same category.

shlalaw's avatar

Meehan Bay Rhum by Bonny Doon Farm

A great hand made bay rum. It goes on with just the right amount of burn, and lasts for the better part of the day. Great for weekends by the pool.

Smellitivity's avatar

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

It's not a shaving foam, but the beginning will smell a lot like that, with mint and rosemary. It's clean and unsophisticated, and green, green, green.

In the end, it will still be green and aromatic, but sweet rather than stinging, thanks to light honey notes.

Very good, but also very old. I'm not sure how guys under 50 could pull this one off.

epicurean's avatar

Santal Blush by Tom Ford

Santal Blush is a pleasant surprise. The name and the bottle would have you expecting yet another overly sweet and synthetic candy confection, and one definitely geared to women. That’s not the case. On the contrary, SB is a straightforward sandalwood: woodsy, dry, airy, yet creamy and lightly spiced -- just right. In other words, it smells like Mysore, which is yet another surprise; how many “sandalwoods” these days actually smell like the real thing? Yet if my information is correct, no Mysore sandalwood is at work here – a tribute to the perfumer (Yann Vasnier) for making it happen, however he did it. Staying power is pretty good as well; just a couple of spritzes lasted a good while. And for the guys (like myself) who wouldn’t feel completely at ease wearing the wonderful Bois des Iles (a tad too sweet), SB is a sandalwood any guy could feel comfortable with, anywhere, summer or winter. A class act. (And less harsh than Villoresi’s Sandalo.)

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Black Tourmaline by Olivier Durbano

The sombre core of Black Tourmaline is an ashy incense, but it has a spice rack of topnotes – cardamom, coriander, cumin, black pepper – that are sustained from beginning to end and keep things fresh.

Go too far along this pine forest trail and you could end up with the 'Friday the 13th'-in-a-bottle that is Mona di Orio's Cuir. But a healthy restraint, and a reassuring amber base, mean that Black Tourmaline introduces you to the abyss without actually shoving you over its precipice. Superb.

Oviatt's avatar

Dunhill by Dunhill

This is not my favorite Dunhill--by a long shot--but that said, there is something I really like about this. I am on my second bottle and that says a lot! I think that the drydown is the best part of this (and the bottle, of course, which is beatiful). The moss and sandalwood blend well with the tonka. I particularly like their aftershave balm, which is really hard to find. True to the Dunhill profile, this is discreet, elegant and manly--the cedarwood and musk see to that. Unlike their profile, I find this one a little ordinary, a little safe. Dunhill reused this bottle for their here today and gone tomorrow scent Pure, only in a frosted glass version. This actually is a long-standing Dunhill tradition if you think about it--they used their iconic spiral bottle for both Edition and d, again, both with frosted glass.

Red Theodora's avatar

Courtesan by Worth

I started a thread on the female fragrance disscussion forum - " any thoughts on Courtesan by Worth". Well, my sample has arrived.

Now, here are MY thoughts on Courtesan. Firstly, I'm wondering why Worth decided to call such a timid fragrance Courtesan. I've always thought of courtesan as bold, sexy, fantastically beautiful women desired by every man who sees them. That certainly isn't represented by this scent.

Neither is the word "gourmand", although the notes should lead in that direction.

All in all, I find this fragrance just confusing. I'm not saying it's a bad scent, but it's taken me many squirts to get any kind of reading on it. What I get mainly is a slightly syrupy, fruity cocoa butter smell with a little musk and amber in the drydown. Quite pleasant, but not outstanding.

Darvant's avatar

Escale à Portofino by Christian Dior

More lemon and petitgrain than orange and a final woody-milky and musky dry down with the almond's boozy-nutty undertone. Light and breezy with a cologny sparkling vibe and an old-school soul (because of the starring role played by a classy bergamot). The juice is essentially citric and energizing while the final almondy-woody muskiness holds on to be light and is just necessary to develop hints of smoothness. Its fresh and highly aromatic projection  makes us guessing about something minty and spicy in the blend ( Blood-orange writes about juniper berries and  caraway and i say that it's possible) cause i live that feeling. Pepper and mint? I guess. Effectively the juice teleports us back in Portofino or Capri, in the 60's, the years of italian Dolcevita full of good quality of life and huge projects for future. The juice is not fully complex or luxurious but is well crafted and joyful for a carefree hot mediterranean summer in the riviera.

16 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 17 July, 2012)

Hojji77's avatar

Halston Z-14 by Halston

Very nice citrus-forward blend; I seem to pick up more wood in it than do some of the other reviewers here. Got it for a pittance at a CW Price store, so it's a win almost no matter what, but I do find that in cologne strength it just disappears on my skin. At first, not having read carefully, I thought it was EDT and gave it my usual three shots--I was stunned when half an hour later I smelled literally nothing on my arm. Tripling the dose brought results (and I do like the results), but even then, for me, this stuff has VERY short legs.

16 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 19 July, 2012)

Ratfink's avatar

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

I was given this perfume as a gift - I'm not sure that I would have chosen it for myself - but it's grown on me a lot, despite being much sweeter and altogether 'pinker' than I would normally like. It also has to be one of the least convincing rose scents I've ever come across. It's a sweet and slightly peppery fragrance; pink with a kick. I wear it in the Winter, when I need cheering up.

16 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 23 July, 2012)

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Bandaids dipped in cough syrup and set out to dry leaving them covered in a resinous goo. LOVE this one. I have also tried MANY "ouds" now and this is still my favorite.

16 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 24 July, 2012)

synthetic's avatar

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

This is Chanel showing everyone how "Fresh and Woody" should be done. Starts off with a HUGE grapefruit note that takes a while to mellow down but rewards greatly in the dry down with a great zesty/woody accord that really shows off the quality of the blend.
    On one end you have a peppery, fruity opening and then it goes 180 degrees and turns nicely woody. But the wood is never heavy or dry, it's rather nice.
    Projection and longevity is light years ahead of every other fresh scent on the market.
    I see this as Chanel's take on a safe, modern scent. It works well and that's all that needs to be said.

16 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 05 August, 2012)

Izzie's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

My opinion on this frag has made a complete 180. The first week or so I had it I thought it was appalling. The slightly smoky tea and pepper was just awful to me.

BUT, surprisingly, this has become one of my favorite comfort scents. It's light, very unique, and the tea note is actually quite superb.

I reach for it on days I don't want to feel too obvious. It's subtle and fresh and doesn't project all that much.

It gets a thumbs up from me these days!

I'm a tad hesitant to wear it since I had such an averse reaction in the beginning myself, but it seems most people are a fan.

16 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2012)

flathorn's avatar

Aramis by Aramis

My dentist wears this fragrance sometimes - he's a fragrance-aholic because he wears many different ones. But so far, Aramis has been far and away my favorite on him. When he wears it, I don't mind he's three inches away with a drill, because I can sit there and smell him the entire time without looking like I'm begging. I even asked him to wear this whenever I come in :-) It has nothing to do with him personally, as he's 71, and when he wears another frag, I don't notice anything except I wish the visit was shorter, and someone's fingers weren't in my mouth... This has been my first real contact with the fragrance. He's Italian, so maybe he has Aramis skin and chemistry - I don't know. But I think it's great! I love it.

16 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 13 January, 2013)

Red Theodora's avatar

Persian Rose by Pacifica

Persian Rose was recommended to me because I said I wanted a BOLD rose fragrance. I should have probably worded my request in a better way. Persian Rose goes way beyond bold into the MASSIVE range. I can't handle massive roses.

That said, the rose extrait used in this fragrance is very realistic. If you want to smell like several dozen roses all at the same time! Plus, I could not for the life of me smell any violet. I love violet and can usually detect even a small amount in a fragrance. Where oh where is the violet! The myrrh is very nice with the rose, but I just wish this fragrance was toned down a little. I like a rose that speaks clearly, but doesn't shout at me!

Virtue&Sin's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

La Petite Robe Noire 2012 by Guerlain

Well, Guerlain achieved to make female universe and the search for the perfect little black dress even more complicated than it used to be by the re-edition of its "Petite Robe Noire"... I wouldn't pick this one for a cocktail, unless I expect people to believe forgot to shower and went straight to throw headfirst into the bowl of fruit and candy.

chapter10's avatar

Wales Wales

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

This is a lovely juice...Sweet,warm and very,very long...Enveloping...Although after about 10 hours I do get a bit tired of it.

Zut's avatar

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Top: Tobacco leaf, spicy notes
    Heart: Tonka bean, tobacco blossom, vanilla, cacao
    Base: Dried fruits, woody notes

I was eager to try this EDP since it contains some of my favourite notes. Like many fragrances of Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection, Tobacco Vanille has a slow dry-down and an unbelievable longevity. When I first applied, though, an intense and sickeningly cloying whiff turned on a big red light for me. I told myself: This one is a big no-no! I was afraid I would reek of sweet aromatic pipe tobacco for hours. Fortunately, about 50 minutes later, the dry-down began and the tonka and vanilla notes became a little darker and richer as the dryer wood notes started to emerge. The tobacco remained discreet but still present in the background. I was expecting a slightly smokier fragrance but since I love tonka/vanilla-based perfumes, I was not really disappointed.

Tobacco Vanille is ridiculously expensive but its longevity partly makes up for the outrageous price.

Virtue&Sin's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Especially Escada by Escada

Flirtatious, fun... yet not a "special" scent at all. Decent longevity, a hint of sour pear behind the rose, and nothing else really.

Zut's avatar

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Although Oud Wood contains agarwood (oud), vanilla, sandalwood, brazilian rosewood, vetiver, sichuan pepper, amber, cardamom and tonka beans, this fragrance has the effect of a very hard, dry and one-dimensional soliflore on my skin from start to finish (as a matter of fact, I felt no noticeable dry-down). Oud Wood reminds me of the Borneo Teak Wood fragrance for Lampe Berger burners. I love the crisp smell of teak wood as a room deodorizer but not as a personal fragrance. I don't like Oud Wood at all but I cannot give it a thumbs down rating for I am sure it develops much better on other people. I have a rather dry skin. Maybe someone with an oilier skin could make this fragrance come out a little softer and sweeter.

Bigtruck260's avatar

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

IKON is an amazing fragrance. I've always liked Bijan, though it has a bit too much spicy/patchouli/incense...and it takes forever for it to get to a point that I can wear it in public without fear. IKON is perfect for me in that sense. It's versatile and masculine...it has a tart opening and a spicy/woody drydown that lasts for a full day. Some might think it is a bit bland, but I find it to be an "everyman scent' meaning it does not care what you are wearing, who you are wearing it around...or where you are going. Not to mention, the juice is only about $10 bucks. How Zirh can make such a quality fragrance for such a bottom barrel price is beyond comprehension. Again, IKON is amazing stuff.

Bigtruck260's avatar

Brut by Fabergé

I cant go into a drug store without stopping to smell Brut...even though I have it imy collection. I've been using this fragrance as an after shower splash on for 25 years - and though it's been watered down a bit...it still takes me back to my youth, and those awkward years of middle school. I've never had a complaint from anyone - and that might be because in the US, it's familiar and 'just is' part of our past. I still put on a splash of Brut when picking up breakfast for the family on a Saturday morning. It wears off by 10am, and by then I am ready to rock a statement cologne. That's just it...Brut doesn't yell "I'm here", it merely says - "welcome back".