Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

Black Amethyst by Bath and Body Works

Black Amethyst is one of BBW's better complex offerings and as such it may be too grown-up for those who frequent BBW for an olefactory sugar high .As of summer 2012 they seem to be discontinueing it.Naturally-Murphy's Law .
    I went in for the 2012 SAS and bought the entire line.The tart/sweet berries,vetiver and sandlewood and incense smell good and should work well with several higher end scents: Black Orchid,Hot Couture, and Midnight Fantasy spring to mind. This really,Really shouldn't have been dropped from their regular lineup- this is a near exact dupe for Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle . The products layer under the pricey Chanel seamlessly.

01st July, 2012 (Last Edited: 28 May, 2014)

Darvant's avatar

Les Nombres d'Or - Ambre by Mona di Orio

A  golden balmy amber that reminds me the great Costume National Scent Intense, but with a more stressed womanly trait, a more restrained animal dirtiness, the exotic sophistication from ylang-ylang, spices and tonka beans and just a minimal touch of incensey smoke and leather. The ylang-ylang is an olfactory star in Mona di Orio Ambre being itself more spicy-floral than laundry-soapy. While in Scent Intense i detect the masculine  crispiness from the hibiscus tea and the darkness coming from the animal notes, the cisteine, smoke and syrupy patchouli in this fragrance i smell a dense, vanillic and exotic floral amber whose the dirtiness is moderated while the floral luxuriousness, the golden oriental influence from the balsams and the creaminess are more pronounced. The dry down is an oriental cloud of powder which features powdery woods, balsams and floral nuances. Uncompromisingly feminine to me. Another homage from the sadly departed Mona di Orio to the women all over the world.

01st July, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st July, 2014)

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels - One is initially treated to an exotic, somewhat sparkling, citrus blend. Tart and tangy lemon, along with a rather green and resinous bergamot interplay with a sweetly camphoraceous and aromatic rosemary. An undertone of a birch-tar leather also presents, with a resultant offshoot from its intermingling with the cirtus accord, whereby a phenolic and smoky, rubbery note surfaces. Transitioning to the heart, the leather is bathed in the delicate, green floral of lily of the valley as well as the fresh and vegetal aspects of matcha green tea. A faint, powdery presence can be sensed. And, a nascent styrax, with its vanilla ice-cream facet, serves as a backdrop, and carries the leather brew to its base. Here, the sweetish styrax intermingles with a sweetly vanillic benzoin, with its nuances of almond and cherry, as well as a spicy and creamy, vanilla-like, tonka bean, with its hints of clove, cinnamon and nuttiness. A heightened, powdery feel can be sensed. And, a smokey, sweetish incense flutters about. A markedly sweet drydown ensues. This somewhat elegant composition is androgynous, if not teetering on the feminine side, and has average projection, basically a skin scent, and good longevity, some 8+ hours.

flouris's avatar

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

Those contending Spirituese Double Vanille smells identical to vanilla extract need only do an honest side-by-side to quickly realize how inaccurate that accusation is. SdV is simple yet bold, going on with unrestrained booziness over what is an almost aldehydic vanilla. It is not a huge, sugary, cloying, warm, bready, sticky melting vanilla like Un Bois Vanille (SL) but rather a crisp, luxurious and very wearable vanilla. I also detect the glorious spice of aromatic tobacco leaves.

I didn't care for it at first. It seemed somewhat lacking, uninteresting and linear but I slowly came to realize how complex and well done it really is. But most importantly it simply smells really, really, really good. I never regret the days I wear it, it's one of the best fragrances to keep you company all day. And while I've worn it on warmer spring nights with ease, it is best worn during autumn and winter. Longevity and projection are top notch.

silentrich's avatar

Essential by Lacoste

Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a nice and pleasant enough fragrance to give it a thumbs up. Great for the summer and in the same vein as Tommy Hilfiger, Acqua di Gio, and Boss Bottled. Probably one of if not the best Lacoste fragrance and less synthetic smelling compared to the 3 other fragrances I mentioned.

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

This review is for the vintage version. Here we have a old school, citrus, herbal offering with Lavendar accord that was @ that time the envy of a citrus man's cologne. Given that this fragrance reeks of ITALIAN, I see a well dressed man in his Armani suit & wearing Armani Eau Pour Homme.

It starts out with that lemon/herbal vibe which I am assuming it is the basil. Kind of strong stuff to a degree at the beginning, but do not let it discourage you as most fumes start out strong yet can be misleading. The Lavendar creeps in which I do not care for along with some woods to give it a interesting edge. Then comes the Oakmoss which in todays world of perfume it is extinct...

IMO the Oakmoss which was used in many old school perfumes gave them distinction. It is sad that particular ingredient can no longer be used in perfumes. THANK GOODNESS FOR VINTAGES! :) This last about 5-6 hours on me & the projection seems to be low to medium. I wore this to a business meeting not long ago & was complimented twice. It serves it's purpose for what it does. Day wear in the spring/summer days.

However, the modern version of this is nothing but synthetic water to my nose... Not pleasant by a long shot. If you truly want to experience this make sure it is a vintage bottle. Also this competes with the great Eau Savage from Christian Dior as they share alot of the same qualities, if I had to choose one over the other,it would be Armani Eau Pour Homme. As nice as Eau Savage is, it's longevity is not as good compared to this & I am referring to the vintage Savage.

silentrich's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Dirty English is basically a non-incense version of Gucci Pour Homme I. It's more masculine and has the leather note replacing the incense. Overall the smell is nice, but it just doesn't project or last on my skin. I see both sides of the coin as to why some people really like or really dislike this fragrance. I only wear this on certain occasions. Would be a good date fragrance or to a card game or something along that nature.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Moschino Friends Men by Moschino

Moshino really screwed a good fragramce here.
    Instead of Friends, get Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo.
    Friends has the same bright, beautiful citrousy character of Tuscan Soul but then Polge went the wrong way by adding too much petit grain and really messed it up with pelargonium. Both excess of petit grain and pelargonium gives this scent that "cleaning liquid" artificial, metallic tone that borders in herbaceous.
    Why pelargonium????, pelargonium and geranium have screwed so many good perfumes for me, I would have used rose instead.
    I like the italian mediterranean effect (that's why I like Tuscan Soul so much) but it was ruined for me by the herbaceous/metallic/artificial accord of excess petit grain and pelargonium.

rogalal's avatar

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

Ah, Flowerbomb. I want to like it just because I love the name, but I simply can't. It's that pink pepper/patchouli/amber smell that every single smellalike woman's designer perfume smells like like now, mixed with marshmallows. There are some bubblegum fruits in there, some sort of dark green spice that I think is supposed to balance the treacle but just smells "off," and possibly some kind of flowers, but any floral notes in here (despite the name) are unimportant sweeteners buried in a thick, sticky sea of marshmallow fluff and common-smelling pink pepper goop.

This smells common in the most literal way: If you go to a bar full of girls wearing perfume, they'll all smell like this. It's not that they're all wearing Flowerbomb, it's that Flowerbomb, as well as the dozens of other perfumes you'll smell, all have the the same basenotes and throwaway topnotes, so every girl at a bar, or on a bus, or in an office smells like this same pink pepper/patchouli/amber/marshmallow smell. Obviously the ladies of the world love this smell, but as a perfume aficionado, I just can't get get excited about yet another one of these.

hellkelpie's avatar

Armani Code Luna by Giorgio Armani

This is the last perfume I bought from a department store - before I embarked on my sample buying voyage: samples of scents not available retail in Australia.

Nice. Essentially nice, but nothing to fall in love with (as I have with Bal a Versailles and Musc Ravageur since then).

Armani Code Luna would make a reasonable summery fragrance, I suppose.

Francolino's avatar

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

a classic.it's great in conjuring images of a time long gone. Great scent anyway

bcnking's avatar

Spain Spain

Philosykos by Diptyque

A very good smelling fig, but just a fig nevertheless.
    It opens like a greeny fig (with its leaves and everything), and it dries down to a sweeter fig (with the skin first, and just the pulp at the end). Not overly sweet though.
    I could only see it in women who are into natural therapies, tree-hugging and the like. Not men.
    Good to surprise on special occasions your lover or hippy friends, but I can’t imagine why anyone would like to smell like a fig every day.
    I would recommend splits or very small bottles, but a full bottle is too much.

Heartnote's avatar

Gold Woman by Amouage

My quest is over - if I never smell another perfume ever, this is Nirvana for me . (I wear Lyric during the daytime, Gold and Jubilation 25 share night time duties )-so soft, so close to the skin, caressing , loving and above all, kind . I bought all three in one go, shelling out £600 for smells - it was worth every single penny . The soft top notes of Gold are Rock Rose, (labdanum) the huge floral accord which is strange because I never used to like florals, closer in my opinion to a sophisticated Rive Gauche than say, Chanel no 5. There is a familiarity that I cannot pin point but maybe that's the Rive Gauche factor . Oh, I adore this , I cannot use all the fancy, schmancy perfumista words to describe it because that would be disrespectful to Guy Robert - Guy, this is/was your Opus , please Amourage, please NEVER EVER play with this formulation because perfection needs no adjustments .

rbaker's avatar

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The fruit, berry with the mild peppery note give this a warm and dry start with an exotic component. Importantly, this is not a sweet scent. The dry down is discreetly flowery with a bit of frankincense to which later vetiver is added. All these notes merge very convincingly. This is a rarity: an oriental that is neither sweet nor heavy and not too spicy. It is masterfully blended and never denies its exotic-oriental character. A fragrance that combines great originality with elegance and restraint. On me it lasts nearly three hours, with the projection and the silage deteriorating after the first two.

Francolino's avatar

Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland

really huge here in Italy yonks ago, heavy marketing everywhere but it was the epitome of being cheesy and predictable!

drseid's avatar

1861 by Xerjoff

1861 opens with a beautiful lemon and mandarin orange mixture that starts things off on a promising note. The lemon quickly fades, but the orange remains turning into orange blossom on my skin and then in the heart notes coupling with a mint leaf. The mint is definitely present, but make no mistake, this is not about the mint, and much more about the orange with other floral- like powdery citrus notes including petitgrain in the heart supporting it. Hours later as the mandarin and its supporting florals recede a light musk and patchouli tandem takes center stage in the dry-down, melding with what remains of the orange. Projection is below average and longevity is average.

I guess I am one of only a few who have been less than impressed with Xerjoff's offerings on the whole, and 1861 adds to my list of disappointments. That is not to say that 1861 is a failure or smells bad (it doesn't), but rather it is just like too many other lesser citrus scents on the market that sell for considerably less money. The lemon in 1861 was impressive, but it was all too fleeting, leaving the mandarin and mint combo that was just a bit off to my tastes at least. If looking for a high quality Italian citrus, I could think of any number of worthy candidates costing much less that I would reach for over 1861, but one that immediately comes to mind is Acqua di Parma Colonia. In the case of 1861, I give it an "above average" rating of 2.5 to 3 out of 5 stars for its smell, but only 1.5 to 2 out of 5 for its relatively poor value proposition. Not recommended.

Marais's avatar

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This wonderfully easy-going scent irresistibly brings to mind that famous scene from 'À la Recherche du Temps Perdu', where a sense of calm detachment is induced in the middle-aged protagonist by his mother's tea-time treat, recalling a care-free childhood, dipping madeleines in auntie's lime-tinged tisane. More prosaically it recalls my own childhood predilection for dunking ginger nut biscuits in a steaming mug of Tetley. Oh for those innocent times!
    Tea, ginger, honey, lemon, clove and a boozy amber are the main notes I get; Darvant's insightful description below I cannot improve upon. Excellent longevity; unisex; and unlike several from the Lutens stable, one does not require an artistic temperament to wear it comfortably.

tgregg's avatar

Versailles pour Homme by Jean Desprez

Alas, when Jean Desprez du Paris discontinued this epic blend and I was no longer in supply, I ceased wearing any fragrant adornment, altogether. It is with great trepidation that I would now purchase some vintage cache of this long lost decanted treasure, as my fear is its empowering qualities were but a dream and will not be as I remember. Can love be recaptured or should it remain a warm memory reserved for waning days?

angelica's avatar

Shalimar Parfum Initial L'Eau by Guerlain

I did not like SPI in EDP. It was too much like Shalimar and yet not Shalimar, so it annoyed me. I would rather wear Shalimar. I prefer this one, perhaps because it is a further step removed from Shalimar, and so I can appreciate it as a different fragrance. The bright citrus and pale, powdery iris play nicely together over the very light vanilla base. It's very pretty and I intend to wear it on my summer holiday. Original Shalimar is very evening-dress-and-heels for me, whereas this I can imagine with a sarong and sandals. I wish they hadn't used Shalimar in the name!

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Dirty English by Juicy Couture. A good, manly scent for year round, it's somewhat spicy and woody with loads of a masculine-smelling, leather vibe. Projection and longevity are pretty good too. It's discontinued, but still available. It is inexpensive, and a good scent to have.

Lanvin L'Homme Sport by Lanvin

Lanvin L'Homme Sport by Lanvin - a clean and fresh, slightly spicy, musky and woody fragrance that is an all-season scent, and will work in the summer.

Oxygène Homme by Lanvin

Oxygene Homme by Lanvin - a peppery, airy and woody fragrance that is an all-season scent, and will work in the summer.

Aventus by Creed

4 oz. "blind" buy from Fragrancenet. Serial: S42b12A01.

I smelled Aventus when it first came out back in my freshman year lecture hall. I couldn't help but to chase down the girl who was wearing it and ask for the name. Now here I am, two years older, and the scent is just as I had remembered it two years ago.

Having been out of fragrances for the past two years due to my loss of smell (smoking), when I finally quit, I decided to blind buy this and DAMN, I do NOT regret it.

I only spray once on my adam's apple and the smell lasts through two sessions of swimming and showering. I can smell it when I wake up in the morning.

How does it smell? Mesmerizing. The pineapple is not Dole pineapple. It is not fresh cut pineapple. It is not synthetic pineapple. It reminds me of the most delicious pineapple that I have never smelled. Been about a week since I bought Aventus and I've received more compliments on this cologne than I ever have with anything else that I have worn.

The dry down? My nose is not as sensitive as other basenoters' noses, but after the truly amazing opening, I can only smell a bit of "smoke." I can definitely smell the vanilla on the dry down and the ambergris if I stick my nose right up against my skin, but the pineapple and vanilla seem to remain alive throughout the day. Really, really, really delicious. Have not worn anything else other than this since my pick up.. my room is the Aventus counterpart of an Abercrombie and Fitch store. I can't help but sniff the cap every once in a while for that pineapple, it's just that damn refreshing.

Alityke's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Where to start. I sampled this with interest after reading others views and reviews. How interesting thought I foolishly.

Dzing opened on my with the overpowering fragrance of freshly passed stools of large vegetarian mammals. Fermenting grass, partially digested hay and a whiff of flatulence. My word! Thought I this is strange.

It got stranger, I scented the hide of the beast which past this, thick hide made leathery by the sun but now damp and uncomfortably close. Like. None too clean elephant house at the zoo.

This opening stayed for hours on my skin, linear, uncomfortable and headache inducing. After about 3 hours there was a mere puft of vanilla like a passing bubble of that sweet beauty which would have given balance had it been present in the mid.

After 7 hours I could no longer bear it and received joyous greeting from Mr Ali when I emerged fragrant from bathing in something femininely rosy to offset the olfactory traumas of the day

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

3.4 oz. Bought years ago in middle school.

I only had a chance to wear Acqua di Gio a few times back in middle school and occasionally in high school because everyone and their fathers told me how great it was.

Really it does smell nice. Like clean flowers, but it just doesn't mix with my skin well at all. I test sprayed it on a strip of paper at the duty-free and it smelled gorgeous so I went ahead and bought a bottle. Who would have thought that it would give me headaches later.

Still, I don't mind spraying it on notebooks or whatever because as long as it's not on my skin or body it smells fine. However, once it does touch my skin it just gives me a nauseating headache.

Eternity by Calvin Klein

3.4 oz. Gifted.

I received Eternity as my very first fragrance a long time ago. Being my first bottle, I have never thrown it away.. However, I have not worn it in years either. It simply does not smell good to me.

The sage notes alone, stand out, amidst the alcoholic mess. I sprayed some an hour ago to write this review and I hate it today as much as I did years ago.

Darvant's avatar

Violet Blonde by Tom Ford

I catch a dominant penetrating  pink pepper at the beginning on the side of a fruity-floral undistinguished whiff that is clean and a bit soapy-laundry. The dry down is powdery musk, white woods and "liquid" vetiver with a soft violet leaves undertone. The juice is light and clean, a decent spring time-day time juice with a certain appeal but with faint level of class and distinction.

Smellitivity's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

1 Million starts citrusy and then becomes a close-knit group of sweet, spicy and clean notes.

It's intense and long lasting, super mainstream if you will, but a safe choice for clubbing.

Allen-on-Holiday's avatar

Pi by Givenchy

This stuff is a joke! Baby power and women's makeup. Are they serious???

Allen-on-Holiday's avatar

L.12.12 Rouge / Red by Lacoste

To MY nose, smells apple-cinnamon-y, not bad, but nothing special, and it doesn't last long enough to justify the purchase. Blah.