Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

It's opening consists of two parts: first part is a fresh icy minty one and the other is warmer and sort of musky-incense-y. Unfortunately on my skin the two parts don't provide a harmonious scent; even in dry down!

I guess they wanted to create a contrast between these two parts and make it the second Fahrenheit! By the way it has traces of Fahrenheit in it, most probably because of the contrast between cold and warm; and violet note!

My brother got it as a gift and interestingly the problem is a lot milder for him! It projects a nice scent on his skin, but nothing special or groundbreaking.

Not a bad choice for daily wear in the colder weather, even though I expected a lot more from something bearing the name 'Calvin Klein Man!'

It has good longevity and projection and gets 4 out of 10 IMO.

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

It doesn't have a long development process and shows itself pretty quickly on my skin. It has a fresh crispy scent which is really pleasant. It could have garnered a lot of compliments just if it was a little stronger!

It certainly reminds me of Polo Blue. Imagine someone tries to do Polo Blue with citrus notes instead of cucumber and melon. But again it is a lot lighter than that and I guess it should be called may be Polo Light Blue!

I honestly expected a lot from Dolce & Gabbana when they launched this...but...you know... :(

Has a short life and subtle scent on my skin. 5 out of 10.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

It dries down pretty quickly on my skin. A fresh fruity scent which is categorized as aromatic-fougere.

I get a very pleasant combination of cucumber-melon contrasted against a base of woods and suede; and aromatic herbs play perfectly to fill the gaps and provide one of the best fresh scents produced by a mainstream house.

I don't wear it myself due to the fact that it is really over worn! But if it's not a big deal for you, then give it a try!

It has good longevity and projection. Overall: 7 out of 10.

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

It opens with a mixture of woody fruity notes and black tea, violet leafs, and musky-woody notes are most detectable. In dry down it projects a nice sensual scent and I got tons of compliments wearing it in the fall.

It has a unique scent even though nothing earth shattering. I admire Gucci because they didn't copy a fresh generic scent here!

Has good longevity and moderate projection. Overall: 6 out of 10.

's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

I would say that Tim's review on YouTube had a lot to do with Dreamer's overhyped legend on the Internet. Dreamer by Vercace isn't a bad scent, but it's not a great scent either. It's just one of many examples in the fragrance world where the legend overshadows the fragrance itself. I'm not gonna bore you to death with talk of top notes to bottom notes, I just want to tell you to be careful with this one if you are thinking about making the money dive because The Dreamer is an acquired taste in my opinion. From the first spray, this Vercace legend is a rough ride and very old lady purfumey at first. Don't get me wrong, there is masculinity here, but this one could EASILY be unisex. I really do have mixed feelings about Dreamer, somedays I like it and others I regret buying it blindly. The scent is most certainly not very versatile. Dreamer will work best in more formal type events like church, weddings, funerals and romantic nights out with a lady. More of an evening and cooler weather scent. Not smooth at all and very dry. At the end of the day I have respect for this fragrance and still wear it, but do to the maturity of this fragrance I think this one is more in tune for the 30 and up crowd. Regardless there's still better stuff out there.

L'Homme Blanc Individuel's avatar
    L'Homme Blanc Individuel

Gucci Guilty Intense Pour Homme by Gucci

Really? No reviews for this one yet? Well, I'll get the ball rolling. I had very low expectations after not liking Guilty at all. Guilty felt like a sugar bomb for teenagers to me. Guilty Intense is darker and less sickeningly sweet. It's a cool weather nighttime scent. In fact, I think I might really enjoy it. It reminds me a bit of John Varvatos (original). A bit. All things considered, it's a big improvement over Guilty.

flouris's avatar
    flouris

Ambrarem by Histoires de Parfums

Sweet powdery gasoline mixed with a vegetal vanilla pretty much sums up my impression after several full wearings of Ambrarem. I so want to give this a thumbs up not just because HdP is one of my fav houses but also because Ambrarem is actually a truly creative and well done fragrance, yet at the same time it seems as though it was created to appear especially synthetic, thus giving it a somewhat hollow and emotionless presence. It seems less a work of art and more a "presentation" in bizarre boldness. I admire its originality and it's oddly easy to wear, yet I sometimes catch a whiff of it and squiggle my nose in that split second before I remember I'm wearing it. So yes, I don't particularly care for how the scent makes me feel yet I find myself appreciating the originality. It's definitely a polarizing scent, and while I don't consider it an amber fragrance (more like a highly mutated cousin of amber) I still recommend everyone seek out a sample of this release.

Turquoise by Olivier Durbano

The opening is dominated by fresh aquatic notes which are very nice. After it settles, you get more resinous qualities and it projects a scent which has aquatic notes on a warm resinous woody base.

The scent matches well with what it is supposed to be: smell of Turquoise stone! That said, there are a lot of sharp fresh aquatic scents on the market which may serve the same purpose. Honestly, I need to warn you that Turquoise can be easily mistaken by one of those generic sharp fresh mass marketed scents. Hence, if you think you are paying price of niche product and will stand out of the crowd...think twice!

Good longevity and subtle projection. Overall: 5 out of 10.

Griff's avatar
    Griff

Absynthe for Him by Christian Lacroix

Although I agree with Shifty Bat about the longevity and strength, there is so much to recommend this failed masterpiece that I am driven to write a review.

First off, this is the one cologne out of my extensive wardrobe that garners the most compliments. And I mean, serious, intense compliments. And inquiries. My trainer claims it is intoxicating. Colleagues at work go out of their way to tell me how much they like it. I get more notice with Absynthe than with Aventus (which is a close second in the notices department.)

The bracing green and peppery opening is brief but glorious. (the notes say "citrus." I don't get any citrus at all). The fruit and patchouli heart notes blended with a very "mate" like vetiver is also delicious but short-lived. I get maybe two hours before it starts to fade. But oh, the dry down. Aromatic wormwood! and shot through with a deep resinous amber. Without a doubt, Absynthe Pour Homme is my favorite scent at the moment. If only it projected a little farther and kept its full volume longer. I find that over applying it helps extend the entire performance (and spritzing it on your shirt really helps).

Hard to find today but I stocked 10 bottles which should last me for the rest of my life. If you get a chance to sample, don't pass it up.

synthetic's avatar
    synthetic

Altamir by Ted Lapidus

Very sweet orange blossom opening that stays throughout the life of the scent.
    Similar to 1 million but without the gaudy sweetness and annoying feminine notes.

Midnight0616's avatar
    Midnight0616

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

I am pleased with this fragrance. On initial spray you get the heavy citrus, orange vibe, which transfers into a more lemony style as the smell forms with your skin (my skin atleast) Then begins the black pepper, the ginger and a hoard of other small hints. This really is a fragrance with many levels.

The projection is not one like Amen, but its a subtle, classy, close fragrance that could be smelt with a hug, but not a handshake.

Longevity is OK, i seem to get about 6 hours before it goes but have been complemented at around 5 hours so it must still linger well.

I'd say a definite try. If you have a relatively deep pocket a definite buy for your collection.

Marais's avatar
    Marais

1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums

A beautiful barbershop-type fougere, but with all hard edges smoothed over. Delicate and refined, in contrast to the more macho exponents of the genre. This effect is primarily achieved through skillful use of vanilla, which adds a certain youthful eyelid-fluttering seductiveness without descending into juvenilia. Longevity is good with a generous application. One of my favourites from HdP, alongside 1828. If you aren't hairy-chested enough for Rive Gauche, or find Caron Pour Un Homme too sweet, do try this.

Zizanioides's avatar
    Zizanioides

Royal Oud by Creed

I'd mistakenly thought the 'oud' in the name referred to the Arabic word for agarwood and the 'royal' was a nod to its high quality but after sniffing this cologne realization hit me; this perfume is named after the customer it was made for, a monarch of the Ood al a Dr. Who. As polite and inoffensive as those fictional tentacled beasties, there's no agarwood to be found.

Smelly Beast's avatar
    Smelly Beast
    Brazil Brazil

Cuir Pleine Fleur / Fine Leather by Heeley

One of my personal favorits. It opens with lots of violette leaf, very green, earthy and bitter. I get tons of birch tar too giving a nice smoky anbience and some spices to balance the composition. AS It drys it gests softer but still wodsy and dry, I also get some honey. The suede in it is very luxurious and soft but not buttery or creamy the image that comes to my mind is a Prada suede jacket. The composition is very modern and very transparent but also retro in a way because o the tar. Its very unique, I´ve never smelled a russian leather like this. It lasts all day but its a skin scent. Usually when I travell this is my scent, very versatile and it gives me confidence.

cheryl's avatar
    cheryl

Absolue Pour Le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

I think my main problem with this it is trying way too hard. It seems to want to be the epitome of a ladies underpants musk, it forgot to get fully dressed first. (Hmm..sort of like some of our current celebrities....)
    It opens strong strong high pitched civety powder. There may be a tiny amount of honey or cinnamon here too. I may be crazy but I think the inspiration here was "Bal a Versaille". This plays one or two notes from that retro classic, not the full orchestral ride. after a few minutes it softens a little...but hums along on civety powder. I can't think where I could wear this. Maybe layered with something like sandalwood or jasmine?

cheryl's avatar
    cheryl

Orange Sanguine by Atelier Cologne

The high rating is because I think this is very successful at its mission. This is a naturalistic soft fresh orange. There are no edges, there is no structure, and there is no development. It lasts and projects a bit.....which for an orange note is truly miraculous. The mood or pitch of this is pleasantly-professional daytime. A cologne that lasts. Isn't that miraculous?

Foustie's avatar
    Foustie
    Scotland Scotland

Entre Naranjos by Ramon Monegal

Entre Naranjos;

Naranjos. What an appropriate introduction to a Spanish line! This beautiful fragrance opens with Neroli, Orange, Petigrain. The overall effect is of the most uplifting neroli, clean and clear as crystal. The orange is there, and that wonderful slightly woody/herbal quality of petigrain. Lovers of traditional Eau De Cologne will really appreciate the opeing of this fragrance.

Then it unexpectedly develops into a very soft skin scent. I liked that actually. The Eau de Cologne opening then a twist. Ambergris they say? Well I don't know, but to me an ambery phase which retains some orange and then the slightest hint of patchouli. Delightful!

After the arresting opening, it is feather light and it wears very, very close to the skin. At first I thought that this meant that it lacked something, but I have tried it a few times now and I have completely changed my mind. You know you can't judge everything with the same yardstick. It is not a powerhouse fragrance and it is not meant to be. It is a whisper of a thing, as light as a breeze. Sometimes it is better to whisper than to shout, and I think that this is actually the very essence of this fragrance. In my view it is obvious that it has been crafted by a deft hand, with very skillful and confident restraint. It is everything that it should be. It is elegant and very discreet. It would make a beautiful addition to ones wardrobe for those times when a beautiful cologne is just the thing for that moment.

It is completely androgynous.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar
    Oh_Hedgehog

Iris Ganache by Guerlain

Discontinued in 2012, Iris Ganache is a seven-tier wedding cake version of Après L'Ondée. The iris and vanilla notes are evenly matched at first, but be sure to have your cardiologist on speed dial for the gluttonously-sweet drydown.

JackTwist's avatar
    JackTwist

Vêpres Siciliennes by MDCI

Despite 22 ingredients, it disappears after 30 minutes and the only effect is of a light version of ANGEL - sweet berries. A washout in my opinion.

Izzie's avatar
    Izzie

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

This is beautiful. I get the lipstick/makeup note, but it's not a negative to me. It just adds to the complexity of the scent.

To me, this smells like... the perfect date at a fancy restaurant. It's a romantic, comforting, classy scent. Not something I would recommend for daily wear, it's too special for it.

There's something about it that reminds me of a smooth whiskey.

Absolutely gorgeous scent, a unisex as far as I'm concerned but to the guys out there you shouldn't let that intimidate you. It's gorgeous on a man, and doesn't in any way make you smell "like a girl". Same goes for the ladies, it won't make you smell like a man. It's the kind of scent that will work with your personality and your style. It's a scent you wear, not one that "wears you".

cwill's avatar
    cwill

Les Déserts d'Orient - Songe d'un Bois d'Été by Guerlain

Just received my sample today. I've had it on for about 3 hours now and it's still going pretty strong. This seems rather linear to me, all I get is a B.O. scent from this. Granted, it is a BO note made pleasant and rather intriguing. I'm just not sure I'm getting anything else. Hmmm, this will require further wearings.

flathorn's avatar
    flathorn

Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This sounded like something I'd really like. But it had a deal-breaker that's common for me - I reacted to a chemical/molecule adversely.
    This one became murky and cloudy in an unpleasant way. The vapor was mildly off-putting, indistinct. It began exhibiting a tendency that's become familiar to me - when it's a chemical reaction, I tend to not be able to smell separate notes or nuances, anymore. The entire fragrance is characterized by a 'synthetic' overlay, like a blanket. This happened with Chanel No. 5 also.

Amos Jolthead's avatar
    Amos Jolthead

A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler

PS begins with the top notes of freezing mint and juniper. The juniper is the stronger note, as it is just a heavy note seemingly wherever I smell it. But the mint doesn’t back down too far. It is still there, and it provides a bit of a chill. These notes last for quite a while, eventually to recede into a spicy white pepper note followed by the weak base notes of sequoia wood and patchouli. I find these base notes almost nonexistent, surely to be missed by anyone who is not trying to sniff you.

I have to say this is the first fragrance where I have done a complete 180. I absolutely hated this fragrance when I first tried it and resonated with those who gave a thumbs down review. I was in solidarity with everything they said. But upon my second wearing, I didn’t hate it as much. After a couple more times, I just had to admit that I really liked PS. I think what really bothered me was the initial juniper note. I wasn’t crazy about juniper, although PS really helped me to learn to en joy it. But I didn’t ‘get’ the juniper note. The marketing of PS and the look of the bottle and the bright blue color of the star gave me the impression that this was a summer scent, made for hot weather. Initially juniper just didn’t seem like the right note for that. The juniper that complements the freezing mint in the top notes gives this fragrance an overall autumnal feeling – something that “can” be worn in warm weather, but that overall is probably better suited to autumn. This would also pass in spring weather, and probably in summer as well, but I felt like the marketing for this and the actual notes were a bit askew.

Nevertheless, with that said, I suppose I understand the negative reviews. When I first smelled this, I never thought I would learn to enjoy this. I think it’s definitely worth trying a decanted sample. I’m not sure how much a full bottle costs now or if there are many left for sale.

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Impossible Iris by Ramon Monegal

Impossible Iris opens with a considerable amount of ylang-ylang before almost immediately transitioning to its iris heart. The iris here is not as powdery or as waxy as one might expect, but instead you get the true nature of the iris in all its glory with just the right amount of slightly soapy powder. The iris is well-supported by prominent jasmine and just the slightest amounts of raspberry and mimose balancing the composition with an almost hidden cedar in the base. Projection is average and longevity is excellent.

I am not a big fan of iris compositions in general, so I went into smelling Impossible Iris on skin with very low expectations... It would apparently be near-impossible for me to truly enjoy just about any iris composition, but I can definitely vouch for the scent's name being legit as I absolutely love Impossible Iris! Monegal achieves the unthinkable in letting the iris come through unobscured by the usual characters, while complimenting it rather brilliantly with just the right amount of jasmine and raspberry to let the iris shine while underpinning it with just the right support. The cedar in the scent is hidden so well that I really have to concentrate to smell it, and frequently just enjoy the iris without thinking about it being there at all. Finally an iris composition I really want to buy, earning an excellent 4 stars out of 5... An "Impossible Iris" indeed!

Hojji77's avatar
    Hojji77

Lauren by Ralph Lauren

NOT the same as the original, which was light and fresh but with a haunting, even profound undertow. This is banal and two-dimensional, a shadow of its original late-70s/early-80s formulation. Saved from a thumbs-down only because it's too insipid to be terrible, and because I so cherish the source material.

demcav's avatar
    demcav

Aventus by Creed

First tested this at NM two weeks ago, and was not immediately impressed with it. The base scent lingered hauntingly on my metal watchband for several days. By the end of the week I ordered a flacon. Over the past week wearing it I have begun enjoying the fruity top notes more, but it's the softer base notes that continue to haunt me. Now I'm waiting for a sample of Windsor to arrive. This could become dangerous very quickly! ;-)

flathorn's avatar
    flathorn

Fareb by Huitième Art

Fareb stands for: frais, aromatique, resineux, epice et boise (fresh, aromatic, resinous, spicy and woody) and for once, they didn't dream up the notes in a marketing ivory tower someplace, as I think that pretty much covers the reality of the fragrance. It features two new phyto-perfumery extracts of bois d'immortelle and ginseng. It comes across as dry spicy to me, and cumin is a big player in this one.
    First up, I don't tend to think of cumin as sexy or skanky. On me, it bypasses all the erogenous receptors and goes straight to armpits. Usually armpit hell. In this fragrance, it smells like cumin the spice. No armpits (or whatever people are smelling). I got my sample on Surrender To Chance and they called it wonderfully skanky - bummer, this one doesn't smell skanky to me. I guess I just don't 'get' cumin, or get it all wrong.
    It smells kind of freshly spicy, woody, leathery, with a large fresh cumin presence. I like it. It's intriguing, and, okay, maybe the cumin wafts in and out of sexiness. Possibly. But it may be the woody leather vibe as much as cumin. A thumbs up.

17 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 06 December, 2013)

frogsnsnails's avatar
    frogsnsnails

Douceur de Vanille by Les Néréides

This is exactly what everyone else has been saying---sweet baby powder, but oh, do I love it. That's exactly what I'm looking for, so I guess this fits the bill, and I'm not disappointed that I don't smell any gourmand vanilla. For that I rely on Acqua e Zucchero and The Exact Friction of Stars. Staying power is also kind of faint. Once again though, I don't mind; in fact I appreciate that it's an EDT. This innocent, gentle piece makes me want to wear a dainty little white lace set, melt into my bed, and just go 'aaaaah'. Innocently sexy.

Vartan's avatar
    Vartan

Lyric Man by Amouage

Having tried and really liked several of the other Amouage men's scents (loved Epic and Honour on first sniff for instance), I decided to give a few others a try. I've tried to like Lyric and find various nuances in it and I keep giving it another chance thinking maybe this time, things will be different. It has the amazing projection/sillage/lasting power that I have come to love about Amouage, which has even spoiled me to many other fragrances which just seem too flimsy and short-lived in comparison. However, upon putting on Lyric, it's an immediate, overwhelming blast of floral, mostly rose, and citrus, and with such projection that I've been witness to bewildered conversations where women are getting complimented on their beautiful perfume (that they aren't wearing), sometimes even standing quite a few feet away from me, almost every time I've worn it and even more than once on a few occasions.
    After a quite some time (hours) it settles down to a very smooth, woody/incense/spicy warm scent that I enjoy that Amouage is so good at IMO, but the rose is always there, sitting on my shoulder the whole time watching. I don't hate roses by any means, or lyric for that matter, but I don't think this meshes well with me either. Have a sample of JXXV coming any day now, hoping the florals won't be as overwhelming to me in this one.

GarethL's avatar
    GarethL
    Scotland Scotland

Beckham Signature for Him by Beckham

This scent is great, and at the price you cant really complain. Dont disregard this because its a celebrity scent - its pleasing, a compliment getter and women love it. Dont believe me? Try for yourself!