Latest Perfume Reviews

Tango by Masque

I like it.....but. Well, it is certainly a rich fragrance with lots of spices, balsams, and some faint animalic note. It opens boozy and vanilla plays along for a long period. It smelt rather perfect when I tried it on paper.

However on my skin, there is a huge rubbery note that appears quite soon after the opening and lasts for a long time. I didn't sense it so much on paper, but on my skin it is prominent. The note becomes somewhat annoying and overpowers the other notes....unfortunately. I recommend to try it on your skin before you commit.

It is a long lasting fragrance with medium projection. Unisex, but leans more towards masculine I would say.
28th August, 2015

Rocco per Lui by Roccobarocco

Actually the review I'm going to "draft" in here is appointed for the amazing and nowadays kind of mysteriously dodgy (supposedly discontinued) Rocco Barocco Edt for men (silver box) and not for Rocco Per Lui which could also possibly represent a reformulation of the classic Rocco Barocco for men (I just may suppose it since I'm not sure about). Actually I detect in here a floral incensey-aromatic (musky-honeyed-ambery-aldehydic) fougere which could abstractly "recall" the noted listed below for Rocco Per Lui. Anyway this fragrance smells under my nose (for the main part of its development) really close to vintage Ysl Kouros being actually aldehydic-aromatic (kind of minty-soapy), dirty-animalic, cold, incensey, sharply floral and musky. Rocco Barocco is less bombastic and probably "easier" than kouros but the central musky-honeyed-soapy-aldehydic structure is almost identical. The Rocco Barocco's aroma conjures me remarkably the one of Kouros anyway since I get in here all that aldehydic power (oozing a sort of cold soapy vibe), the animalic dirtiness, the cold-incensey spiciness, the aromatic herbal Ysl's performance and all that classically chypre "vintage" barber-shop soapy/animalic (slightly honeyed and leathery) muskiness a la Paco Rabanne classic or stuffs like that. The dry down smells like the most classic neutral-soapy and musky-green gentleman "cologne" with a touch of tonka-vanilla, an honeyed-waxy soapiness and probably hints of leather. In this phase the aroma is less close to Kouros and more connected to a traditional mossy-waxy-aldehydic chypre a la Monsieur Rochas, Arrogance Pour Homme or to neo-classic experiments a la Cologne Reloaded Maai. Excellent ensign of a disappeared golden age.

P.S: the more this juice evolves the more its aroma turns out dirty, ambery, vaguely "acidic", darkly mossy and animalic (it seems to detect a blend of honey, ambergris, black musk and castoreum), really compelling and pheromonal. Fantastic.
27th August, 2015 (last edited: 28th August, 2015)

Love by By Kilian

If I had read the reviews before trying it, I may have been persuaded to concede that the initial impression was "damnit, now I need a shower!...and a metformin!"

However, that not having been the case, I allowed the notes to unfold, and found my skin accepted this as a beautiful neroli (what TF's only wish it could achieve!) and jasmine flower bomb (no reference to that hot mess). I suppose I should count myself lucky as some reviewers found this to be a toothache in the making, and having suffered through many of those scents, I can surely empathize...just not with this one, this time.

It is truly rare for a neroli to "stick" to me like this one is doing...is it a trick of synthetics? Will I suffer a migraine later? Who knows...only time will tell...I'll keep testing this one, and update this review as I make more observations.

9:21 am the next morning: HOLY COW! This thing does now wear off or wear down! I'm not sure I can handle it! Also, this morning, it smells like marshmallow fluff!!! What in the name of Sam is happening?? Why did it smell like neroli and jasmine last night and now I feel as though I'm in a fun-house? This is wrong. I will not be able to handle this. Maybe I could cut it with some lemon pledge?

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

One of those ubiquitous grassy-green pseudo-aquatic designer scents that smells rather pleasant from a distance, but gratingly annoying up close with the house trademark woody amber base fixative overload. Yes, it succeeds in extending the scent's longevity but considering the base's abrasive and overbearingly synthetic profile? No, thanks. I'll pass. My non-perfumista wife sums it even more succinctly - with a sneeze.

Shalimar by Guerlain

My family is mostly show people and jazz musicians, and when I was little there were often colorful characters hanging around, HOW colorful I didn't find out until later.

One of them was an older English lady named Mae, who had a white poodle. Apparently she was the madam in a high-end brothel. Sometimes we'd go to Mae's apartment, which had the most extraordinary smell of years and years of Shalimar permeating every surface + unwashed dog. That was my first Guerlain experience. (The second was a Pekingese that smelled of Mitsouko. True - not trying to be funny.)

So it took a very long time before I could really consider Shalimar on its own merits, and even then, its skanky facet was off-putting to me, because I kept smelling unwashed dog! In retrospect, Mae's poodle may not have been that dirty, and it might have just been her vintage Shalimar. I really never thought I'd become a Shalimar person, even though I have lots of history with the other vintage Guerlain greats.

The Ode a la Vanille (Mexique) ended up being my gateway drug, because the vanilla in that version is so smoky and dense and wonderful that I could stick with it, and now I've learned to love even the skank of Shalimar proper.

I do continue to prefer that limited edition, yet I've come to own and love the EDC, as well, because that version also features a very smoky vanilla, and ends up wearing as mostly that. Plus it's often available inexpensively in the drugstore! Coming around to Shalimar has actually had a fantastic effect on my perfume spending habits, for while I still find new things that I like, when I ask myself, "but would you be likely to NOT wear Shalimar to wear this instead?" it's just a no.

Bohemian Spice by April Aromatics

I struggled to find the appeal in Bohemian Spice other than the fact that it is very well constructed for an all-natural composition. It features a melange of dry herbaceous spices over a base of vetiver and patchouli. Well, so do a half dozen others with more wallet-friendly price tags. It brings nothing new to the table.

Coming off the back of my recent review of Sharif, Bohemian Spice feels decidedly less refined, more organic. Aptly named perhaps but for what it does I can't help but feel it is ridiculously priced.

Sharif by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

'Sharif' is an aspirational composition that attempts to capture the the spirit of nobility in its refined approach to crafting what I feel to be a private, almost bespoke fragrance. It feels luxurious yet without any of the customary ostentations, deftly weaving together natural essences that at one point or another comes across as herbal-spicy-floral-leathery, warm-resinous-ambery, even chypre-like mossy.

What I admire most about Sharif is its well-articulated sense of refinement, its quiet confidence and almost retro-traditional masculine appeal. For the strong and silent types out there, don't miss out on this hidden gem of a scent.

Patchouli Impérial by Christian Dior

This opens very spicy - it's a good spicy! Heavy, and could be a bit surprising if you were not prepared, though.

The spicy subsides and flows easily into a beautiful patchouli. It is truly BEAUTIFUL! Ladies, do not be afraid of this! It is creamy, elegant, and really nice!

There is some wood...yes...wood...not sure that I would say I smell sandalwood, but what do I know? The patchouli may be mixing with it in such a way that I'm not able to identify it as sandalwood, but there is some sort of wood in here...

I like this. I really do. If anyone offers a split, I'll probably participate. I won't purchase an entire bottle, though. Not because I don't really enjoy it, but because I cannot imagine wearing it enough to justify 4.2 oz!

OK!! This just keeps getting better! Labdanum?!! Is that AMBER!!??? Good grief! I think I love this! Definitely unisex!

Bis by Rodin Olio Lusso

So, I received this in a sample trade, and decided to give it a spin without reading up on it. I thought it would be interesting to just sample it completely blind, unknowing of the notes or the expense.

The initial application is powerful - I get a blast of many notes, but all are surrounded by heavy powder. I don't get Iris specifically, but I can assume it is meant to be there (right?). There are a lot of sneezes after application. Mine and the dog's. I'm not so sure about this.

This is a busy day, so this review will be mainly written after the wearing, nit in real-time...which may be a good thing.

So, I've had the day, and it's still on me, so longevity is good. I could smell myself, so sillage is good (this was a bit of concern for me, as I felt a bit self-conscious, thinking if I can smell myself, others can certainly smell me!).

I really cannot pick out the notes in this. It feels "crowded". I'm not sure exactly what I'm smelling, but it is VERY powdery, and I am not smelling orris butter. I don't smell violets and I don't smell any clear-cut typical notes at all. Either I'm having a really off day, or this fume is just not well-structured. I suppose I could also be too green a nose to understand what I am smelling.

While it doesn't smell good, it doesn't smell bad. Giving it a neutral.

Égoïste Cologne Concentrée by Chanel

I read enough hype about this one to pay big money on ebay, but I don't like it more than Egoiste. It's a darker, maybe slightly sweeter, less-projecting version of Egoiste, similar in performance to the parfum versions of Bois des Iles and Cuir de Russie; where I also prefer the less concentrated, greater projecting eau de toilette versions.

Oleg Cassini for Men by Oleg Cassini

Vintage Oleg Cassini for Men (1976) is a quite heavy classic chypre for man with an uncompromisingly virile and animalic woody/patchouli-centered soul and a plain sort of "vintage honeyed-spicy-mossy" temperament perfectly retracing the classic animalic-woody chypre tradition (Mitsouko, La Perla, Arrogance Pour Homme, Monsieur Rochas, Captain Molyneux, Moustache Rochas, Aramis Denim, Aramis, Geo F. Trumper Eucris, Gianfranco Ferre for man, Denim classic, Estee Lauder Azuree Pure and Knowing, 1000 Patou, Piguet Bandit etc). It smells like a mysterious, herbal-hesperidic, aromatic/barber-shop and retro mélange of wax, musks, roots, aromatic hesperides, amber, aldehydes and woods, overall encompassed by an almost liturgical and moldy spicy-incensey blanket. I get the Givenchy Gentleman's reference (due to a remarkable dry patchouli's presence) despite Oleg Cassini is richer and more focused on honey, waxy patterns and hesperides. In particular Oleg Cassini for men seems combining on my skin the classic Denim's stout bitter patchouli (Denim is the fragrance smelling closer to Oleg Cassini imo) with a final Gianfranco Ferre for Man's woodsy-mossy-leathery luxuriouness (I get the mossy-spicy vetiver in here) and a soapy-aldehydic kind of waxiness (and a mossy-aromatic patchouli as well) a la Arrogance Pour Homme. The miracle is how the final evolution manages to perform a quite balanced and light honeyed-animalic-aldehydic-rosey accord rich of forbidding class and old-school honeyed mossy classicism. I get a rich combination of sharp floral notes (a severe rose-geranium combo), oakmoss-labdanum, a dry spicy-aromatic-resinous patchouli and a luxurious accord of honey, animalic notes, hesperides, soft leather, woods and tobacco. Dry down is surprisingly aerial, translucent (almost dazzling a la Helmut Lang Cologne) and still softly honeyed and musky (yet at same time warm and visceral). There is anyway a darker dodgy soul kind of vintage and rooty-mossy (softly leathery). Slightly out of time this fragrance is anyway an example of perfectly orchestrated complexity in which a congeries of diverse notes seems ending down a softly flowing whiff of solemnity.
25th August, 2015 (last edited: 26th August, 2015)
drseid Show all reviews

Empireo by Onyrico

Empireo opens with radiant, slightly sharp frankincense, supported by a brief blast of nose tingling orange bergamot citrus. Moving to the early heart the citrus vacates, leaving the remnants of the frankincense to support an emerging vague woody accord that takes the fore with additional almond-like heliotrope and dulled rose florals. During the late dry-down the composition turns moderately sweet as the florals give way to a relatively dry vanilla and amber led dry-down with the vague woods remaining in support through the finish. Projection is below average, but longevity is excellent at over 12 hours on skin.

Empireo is a tough composition to evaluate. The bergamot spiked frankincense open really smells quite good, and the heliotrope and rose florals in the early heart are certainly interesting and more than a bit different. The main problem with the composition lies in its use of slightly synthetic smelling vague woods. The woods have a bit of a dry sandalwood bent to them, but the accord doesn't quite smell like the sandalwood I am familiar with. Additionally, during the late dry-down the vanilla smells just a bit "off" from what one might expect. In this case "off" doesn't mean "bad," but it does smell quite different than most presentations of the ingredient and not particularly in a good way. The composition does smell reasonably appealing on the whole, but it is hard not to feel with some more tweaking it could have been significantly improved. At least one aspect is a vast improvement over other offerings in the Onyrico line, performance. Empireo's woods in particular are relatively tenacious, something severely lacking in the other Onyrico releases tried to date. The bottom line is the 160 Euros per 100ml bottle Empireo presents an almost split decision based on its up and down fragrance profile, but it has slightly more ups, earning it a "good" rating of 3 stars out of 5 and a modest recommendation.
25th August, 2015

Potion by Dsquared2

Another fairly-priced mainstream fragrance I’ve ignored for years until reading some positive reviews by a few contributors I trust. And again, they were right: Potion is a true little gem, quite unrelated to the averagely mediocre quality of other Dsquared scents, not to mention their hideous fashion side. First of all, many mention Gucci pour Homme from 2003 as a reference for this, and if you want my opinion, they are quite similar indeed. And in some way, even if there is some substantial differences notes-wise, Potion may work as a good replacement if you miss Gucci. The two fragrances may not be identical, but the quality is definitely (and surprisingly) on the same level – which is a quite top-notch level. And they definitely share a really similar vibe in my opinion. Potion has the same smooth, sheer and sophisticated woody-amber-incense structure of Gucci, adding to that a consistent dose of crisp, minty and delightfully pungent aromatic herbs, a fantastic musk note (“fantastic” because it’s musk, but a quality one - way different from the usual, sticky, everlasting musky base you get in many cheap mainstreams) and some spices, mostly a peppery cinnamon note.

So it’s basically a sort of spicier, sweeter and muskier version of Gucci pour Homme (with a far echo of another giant of designer perfumery – the herbs-amber accord of YSL M7); less “mature” than Gucci, but quite close to it nonetheless. More “tasty” and aromatic, slightly sweeter (I guess thanks to the subtle floral notes), less austere and less smoky than Gucci, overall more easy-going, but totally refined as well, showing Annick Menardo’s talent with spices and sheer, subtly elegant harmonies. I think I also get something reminding me of Body Kouros, but I don’t know what precisely. Anyway as I (and many others) said, Gucci pour Homme is the more evident close sibling to Potion. And the key similarity for me is their level of quality, which makes stand both quite above the rest of the “woody-amber” class of masculine designers. The quality of Potion is truly elevate on every level – materials and composition. A bit close to skin (maybe too much, at least for the EDT), but it works. A true must for the price.

8-8,5/10
25th August, 2015

Mosaic by Imaginary Authors

For a scent that is said in many reviews to be highly citrus, I find this to be completely pleasant - and that's saying something! I generally do not enjoy citrus in my perfume, at least not in the foreground. I found the citrus in this to be well-constructed, and I neither wanted to lick, bite nor cut off any appendages.

The best way to describe this scent is a dip in the pool, and then lazing about near, but not on the beach. This is more like a resort...a place you enjoy the view without getting sand in your pants. It's clean, and the colors are white and varying shades of blues and greens. There is, of course, a cabana boy. He brings drinks.

Later, you'll enjoy a deep tissue massage because relaxing requires a full commitment. The scent is reminiscent of Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino, but it isn't a copy...more of a reflection.

I believe I'll be purchasing a bottle of this lovely sometime soon.

Chance Eau Vive by Chanel

Salutation.

CHANCE EAU VIVE creates a new atmosphere in which lightness and elegance are blended together.the scent is full of grace and elegance but not in a sophisticated way.to me it is one of the most disappointing flankers by CHANEL.the original CHANCE and CHANCE EAU FRAICHE has a subtle hint of sex appeal and sophistication but this one just nice, nothing more nothing less.Urban,Fresh,Sparkling, Casual,Simple,Clean and Enchantingly Playful.

Right from the start the scent releases whiffs of fresh spicy citruse notes that make way to a refreshing heart by jasmine that is not as heavy as in ALIEAN or JASMINE ROUGHE.the dry down is musky clean soapy that is much more pleasing than the opening to my nose.in fact it starts citrusy,turns floral than dries down soapy and clean on my skin.
CHANCE EAU VIVE is perfect for daytime wear especially to wear during a spring rain.

Sillage?Pleasent.

Longevity?Pretty Good on my skin.

6.25/10

Charriol pour Homme Eau de Parfum by Charriol

Very similar to 1 Million, it's twin that's slightly better.

I would definately choose this over 1 Million

Memoirs of a Trespasser by Imaginary Authors

Upon initial application, I was unsure as to how this might unfold - would I want to lick my hand to experience what was sure to taste like cotton candy, or did I want to wash my hand to get the scent of overly-sweet cloying candy off my hand?

Well, it turns out, neither! Thankfully, that initial burst passed me over, and I'm ok now.

This is not a "mature" amber - it isn't elegant, nor is it trying to be. It's kinda unassuming. It's college-kid, kickin' it old-skool amber/resin/woody/vanilla. It's affordable, it's pleasant, and it's unpretentious. It's also better than a lot of other fumes that claim to be in the resin/woody/vanilla category.

Is it sweet? Well, yea! It's supposed to be! I get more of a dusty/dry/old sweet scent rather than cloying in the drydown, though. If my entire experience were based upon that initial application, I'd have never finished the review, as I'd have either eaten my hand (sound familiar?) or been blue-brushing my hand.

Not sure if I'll commit to a full bottle myself, as I have a lot of ambers, and am still collecting more, however, if I were in the market for a signature scent, and I only had $85 to spend, I might give this serious contemplation. It's really a good perfume!

Journey Man by Amouage

A very nice peppery spicy scent with juniper and tobacco. Eventually the incense comes to the fore with some citrus making this scent the most mainstream fragrance I have smelled from Amouage.

Vetiver Geranium by Creed

My gosh straight off the bat this smells really good. Lemon citrus with vetiver and geranium makes this smell like the perfect masculine fragrance.

I can also smell patchouli making this smell earthy but lively as well due to the citrus. Thumbs up!

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Millesime Imperial is not the champion of the fresh Creeds to me, but its popularity certainly gives it more consideration than I might give other fragrances. While it smells overwhelmingly orange on me, I admit that it's grown on me, and I've come around to agree that it rightfully has a place in the Creed pantheon, I nonetheless wouldn't opt to purchase a bottle, as I prefer the citrus in Himalaya and Aventus much more, and even the top notes of Green Irish Tweed, Silver Mountain Water, and even Original Santal are more on point with what I like, and with what I believe is flattering on me. That said, I can understand why MI is a staple for many, as I imagine the citrus is more pleasant on many others than it is on me.

More objectively, MI is at least an interesting composition, with orange (the dominant note of my experience) and lemon in the heart, a mix of notes on top, and musk and woodsiness (cedar always seems like a safe guess when it's slightly sweet). Its projection is probably more limited than its fresh Creed brethren, and longevity is about the same (medium range, 6-8 hours). Surely an entry worthy of trying with the all the hype, if you haven't already. Many swear by it, and while I'm not one, fresh input is always welcome.

6 out of 10

Armani Code Ultimate by Giorgio Armani

Best of the new Armani
This one never gives me headache

Boss Bottled Intense by Hugo Boss

Where to start....
There is no doubt in my mind that this was launched just to make some money since the original has followers. The jus is very much like the original but with the vanilla/cedar amped up while the crispness dialed back a bit. So it is a stronger version of the original, but it is not interesting. I guess Boss is a little gun-shy considering the rest of the flankers have not been run away successes like the original.

I think the Oud version is the one to watch out for. I haven't tried that but will report as soon as I do. As fr the Intense version it is like buying the original but smelling it for the first time...if that makes any sense.

Sartoriale by Pal Zileri

This is one of the best.

Work of art in a very affordable price.

Beautiful creamy spicy sandalwood.

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

Very powdery granny smelling fragrance. I'd pass on this if I knew in advance it smelled this way. I purchased based on the reviews. I don't like it. I'm not going to give up on it just yet though. I'll try it again this winter. I will update review when I do.

Jaipur is a next level fragrance. If you have to try one from Boucheron, make it Jaipur. You won't regret it.

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

This is definitely a women's fragrance. The vanilla overpowers whatever else is in this recipe. Top note is vanilla. Dry down is vanilla.

I wish I hadn't spent all the money I spent on this fragrance. I was fooled by the word tobacco.

Nice sweet scent for women or that metrosexual man.

Ryder by Ex Idolo

My first response to this was:

This is Buckwheat Honey, then Mead!

As the base of the fragrance lays down on my skin, the perfume becomes familiar.

I have spent the day, in the Pastry shop, of my employer, working with, superb quality Butter, Vanilla, Winter Fruit, Cognac, Honey, Molasses. It is Christmas.

It is a scent that is at once, slightly cloying, enormously comforting, vaguely alcoholic.

This subsides and what arises, is a counterpoint to the, wet, moist, sugary, fattiness.

Whispers of a ,Non ISO E Super, Wood and a beaming sliver of Frankincense, heighten, incise the honeyed richness.

I fail to identify the alleged Jasmine, so would categorize this fragrance as Masculine, not Unisex in intent.

It's status, in relation to it's older brother.

Not as good?

Well, I would declare, it is different.

What it shares, is apparent, to me.

A common poetry, study, if you will, of a Craftsman.

Bottleworthy?

Me.

Yep.

Second response.Later...

Whoa! What was that snuck up behind, slap me on

the back of the head.

Unmistakable, the dark, damp, almost animal,

verging on orchid-like vegetable rot. Transient.

Left behind is a trail of the purest, angel

winged nectar of Jasmine.

Matthew, you must, have this work delivered to

Canada. Now!

Ryder by Ex Idolo

This is my first foray into reviewing a perfume. I'm new to Basenotes; please bear with me.

I sampled Ryder last week, loved it, then ordered my full bottle. I should say that I also own 33, which I love.

Ryder is all about quality ingredients.
The notes listed are spot on. I definitely smell jasmine, although the few other reviewers for this don't detect jasmine at all. It's not bold, just a mere whisper is how I would describe it. Tobacco/boozy-liquor fragrances are one of my favourites and I get some really wonderful not-too-sweet pipe tobacco. The first time I smelled this I said "ahhh" and could almost imagine sitting in a London members club with fine cognac and pipe smoke. Somewhere in this I smell leather, but that may be just my fanciful mind taking over.

Like Purecaramel noted, there are woody nuances that are NOT ISO E Super, which I couldn't imagine.

Tendrils of frankincense intertwine with pipe tobacco smoke, then glide around the glowing warmth of amber to wrap everything up nicely. This is fairly linear, but I don't mind. Longevity is quite good, lasting about eight hours on skin.

For overall quality, I give Ryder a 10. I have no regrets buying this one.
numcks Show all reviews

Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge by Jacomo

This has been described as similar to Le Male (not a fan) and as a sweet gourmand, so I expected to not care much for it. Surprise! This is very well done, and while it does have sweet, caramelic/vanilla/tonka notes, also includes a spicy, minty, patchouli, incense, woody counterbalance that makes the confectionery notes smell deep and burnt/smoky. Certainly one of the better of this genre.

Great Barrier Reef by Demeter Fragrance Library

The coral impression in the top notes is quite nice, although not really doing justice to the real thing, but it is pleasant, although on my skin the saltiness of the ocean breeze is quite discrete and soon dominated by a sweetish open-air candy-shop impression. These are the only two notes I am getting here.

Overall this is pleasant, but it lacks the interesting sea-fresh characteristics of the great sea or beach scents, like Bergamotto Marino, Erolfa or even the quirky Fire Island - unlike in the latter the added component is sweetish-synthetic and not very interesting.

As far as the performance is concerned, I get soft sillage, fairly weak projection and four hours of longevity. 2.5/5
hcr Show all reviews

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

The vanilla drydown on this is lovely. The tea/rubber note is very interesting, but just not quite enough to sell me on this. Price is pretty good, but I think this will stay in the sample pile. Definitely try a sample before you buy a bottle.