Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

Royal Oud by Creed

Boring, stuffy, tame. Creed should have left oud to the masters and not given into the fad of making an oud frag like everyone else. I love Creed frags, btw.

Legend by Montblanc

Smells almost exactly like Abercrombie and Fitch Fierce. Not as obnoxious or headache inducing -- more smooth. Still, the gal working at Nordys agreed with me when I said that. And since we both used to work at A&F, our sentiments were the same. Not a terrible choice, but too much like A&F for me to want to wear it.

Volafox's avatar

L'Eau de Circé 05 by Parfumerie Generale

Was hesitant at first, but as it warmed to my skin, I couldn't stop sniffing. Now I feel more comfortable with it, and am on the lookout for a good price.

Swanky's avatar

Kanøn by Kanon

I've always thought of Kanon as an attenuated Pierre Cardin (perhaps I should say that the Cardin is a bulked-up Kanon, since Kanon preceded PC in the market) and this attenuation is even more evident in the current iteration of Kanon. Potency doesn't stack up to PC nor to PS Fine Cologne and Lagerfeld Classic, two other men's fragrances that are of the same ilk as Kanon.

Essentially this is a mildly spicy and powdery 60s aroma that has been done better elsewhere.

23 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 25 July, 2012)

farang's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

It is true that this scent is reminiscent of an Asian temple, not necessarily a Japanese temple since I feel the vibes of a Vietnamese temple as well. Temples are made from wood with a stony base. The good part of this scent does indeed smell like the wooden part of the temple; wood and incense like.

But before you reach this point, the scent takes you down to the basement of the temple, the stony part, the cellar. And this part is moldy. Very moldy!

I am afraid it's not worth it for me to pass through the damp, moldy cellar to reach the better smelling wooden part.

Longevity is good on me when I tried it.

23 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 August, 2012)

Francolino's avatar

Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée by Guerlain

Enthralling and a pure fresh pleasure, all in Guerlain style!

23 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st December, 2012)

silentrich's avatar

Joop! Go Electric Heat by Joop!

Top notes: lavender, lime, and mint. Heart: licorice and violet. Base: Cedar and Saffron. This is basically a different version of Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine. LLAM is a heavy sweet licorice and vanilla, whereas this is a toned down black licorice and a big dose of cedar. Joop! Go Electric Heat makes for a great casual fragrance and can be a versatile "go to" fragrance. Some see the Joop! line of fragrances marketed more towards the younger crowd. I agree that many of them are, but this one can also be enjoyed for those 30 and over. Judge this on the dry down.

23 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 06 January, 2013)

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme by Guerlain

Having read many reviews and sampled this I knew this was a quality fragrance, but what surprised me was how well this wears in warmer weather. I really get the tea, neroli, and jasmin which I couldn't smell when I wore this in cooler months. What I love about LIDGE is that the cocoa note is such a solid base for the other notes. It allows for all the other notes to shine and take over the fragrance. I've worn this quite a bit now and there's things that I notice about it everytime I wear it. It's not overly complex, but masterfully put together. Outstanding.

Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone

Lime, basil, and mandarin is along the same lines as many other of the higher quality citrus fragrances. There's a candied aspect to the citrus that makes this more of a novelty than an actual fragrance. Another problem with this fragrance is the longevity which is the major issue with many of Jo Malone's fragrances. It's actually better than most of her fragrances, but there are better examples on the market. Enjoyable, but not bottle worthy.

Black Vetyver Café by Jo Malone

Another nice fragrance that just doesn't have any legs. Black vetyver cafe is one of those fragrances that'll have you at first sniff, but after 2 hours there's nothing left. Yes it smells great, but it's so light that it negates the whole point of this fragrance. In the opening you'll get the vetiver infused with the dark bean coffee and a bit of sweetness. This lasts for about 20 minutes and then the coffee disappears and all your left with is a weak sweet vetiver/tonka smell. Even worse this seems to sour on the skin after a short time. I'm not sure about the concentration on this fragrance, but it would be a stretch to say this is an EdT. More like a weak EdC. At over $100 a bottle it's really a head scratcher.

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

I don't know why, but I thought this would be more complex than the notes listed. It's not and makes me wonder what happened. Seems like an incomplete fragrance and the notes themselves can't carry this. Way too flowery and sweet and quite honestly makes me feel odd wearing it. I'm a fan of vetiver, orange blossom, and vanilla, but there's just not enough in this to make it interesting. You'd be better off buying a bottle of Raw Vanilla by Coty.

's avatar

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

Wow..... I dunno if I had a sample of the original version or I had a better sample batch, but I got my bottle today and I am not happy! It opens very nice with a sparkling lemon, kinda reminded of a light version Issey Miyake. However after about fifteen minutes boom a loud nose piercing ginger note that stays and doesn't go away. If I torture myself and hold my nose over my hand I can smell a very faint iris note. I for the life of me cannot figure out why this smells so much different to the smell that got me to buy this bottle. I enjoyed the Versace Pour Homme sample I got with it better.

msi_21's avatar

Iran Iran

Prada Amber pour Homme Intense by Prada

I used to wear and enjoy the soapy ambery scent of original Prada Amber Pour Homme. To my surprise this one is nothing like the original. I mean you definitely can detect those soapy ambery notes here as well, but this one is geared toward a completely different direction. In fact here the scent is dominated by a combination of Patchouli and Myrrh. The soapy ambery base of original is present here to provide a gentle and clean foundation to the whole composition.

In the dry down I get a very nice scent with a classic touch. Given the strong presence of Patchouli and clean basenotes, the only scent comes to my mind is Givenchy Gentleman. Albeit Patchouli is supported by Citrus and Chypre notes there while here it is combined with Myrrh and soapy ambery basenotes.

I really liked the sleek and slim bottle of original with beautiful light blue juice inside. The change in color had negative aesthetic effect on the bottle IMO and this one looks more like a mechanical tool!

It has moderate longevity and projection. Overall: 8.5 out of 10.

Avalon by Murdock

Acceptable, not particularly distinctive. Light, lemony, a bit creamy.

Black Tea by Murdock

Not bad. Soapy-clean opening, light spices and a hint of leather. Overall, a smooth, pleasant, masculine scent.

Bright Leaf by Murdock

Not my style -- a bit sweet and rich. Brown tobacco leaves -- if you like that note, check this out.

Fougère by Murdock

Intriguing, and quite powerful. Very herbal with a big blast of camphoraceous lavender. Quite woody and mossy. Substantial, even a bit heavy. For old-school fougere fans.

Patchouli by Murdock

I'm not a fan of patchouli but this has lots of other things going on, so I can tolerate it. In fact, the patchouli is very subdued. Mostly a light-spicy and woody scent.

Vetiver by Murdock

Good job: grassy, quite smoky, green and crisp in style. Not a huge vetiver per se, but there's enough there to satisfy.

Lyric Man by Amouage

It starts with a lovely rose note. This subsides but never entirely goes away. It settles into a saffron-dusky note with some musky aspects. Perhaps there is a little pine to be found, if one searches. The dry-down is a dewy green sort, with traces of celery leaf and some substantial sweetness. An interesting scent, not compelling for me.

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

(revised) I like this a lot. It is an excellent dry incense scent. Spicy, woody, mossy notes augment the resinous incense. It is not heavy, not sweet, and quite satisfying. Perhaps there is a touch of oud in the incense, giving a bright piercing note. The drydown gets warmer and woodier.

L'Homme Cologne Gingembre by Yves Saint Laurent

initial blast is quite nice but quickly becomes a Cologne i've smelled plenty of times before. nothing to say about it, forgettable and boring.

DtheJg's avatar

cK be by Calvin Klein

This is a very different fragrance and certainly unisex. I love unisex fragrances because they're not pushed into a genre. I like wearing this at night. In the day it just doesnt feel as nice maybe because it's relaxing and calming.

Very nice over all.

chopwet's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

After quite some time I get a lovely sweet tobacco basenote on my skin, reminds me of the smells of those cherry and vanilla tobacco cigars you probably bought as a young 'un.

UTLonghorns's avatar

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

For starters, this has been the most complimented summer scent I have ever worn. One major positive is that this isn't cool water or AdG, and therefore does not have the overplayed vibe (yet). It's fresh, citrusy, class, and PERFECT for summer.

That being said, it is also linear. Some may not have a problem with that, because the dry down is as good as the opening. Fresh, non-offensive, inviting. Cologne snobs will probably knock this one though for not being daring or something like that. That is fine; in the meantime they will reach for other colognes that might be more cloying in the summer but have more "personality".

Moreover, there is also reasonable elusion to D and G's light blue perfume. This has been pointed out in the past by previous reviewers and I certainly agree. They are no means identical; and this one is certainly more masculine. But is it is a bit on the unisex side; when you but it side by side with say, AGD or Polo Blue. Again there is nothing wrong with this for many people but the bottom line is you may mistake D ang G's Light Blue Perfume for this at some point.

All in all this is good. I can't complain that my fiance goes nuts for it and repeatedly reminds me that this is her favorite. I can't be mad about that..

nightcutter's avatar

Azzaro pour Homme Elixir by Azzaro

I've always liked Azzaro PH.

Elixir is a lighter verison with the pleasing additions of smooth tobacco, rose and cherry notes.

This is unmistakably Azzaro PH but with more subtlety.

I really like it. A prefect cold weather scent. I think I prefer it to PH!

sophulla's avatar

Germany Germany

Hoggar by Yves Rocher

I smell cardamum, cardamum, cardamum ... If you love this spice like I do, it is a very fine, pleasant scent (and - why not - suits well for women, too.)

Kaern's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Summer 2012 by Issey Miyake

I'm seriously thinking whether it is ever necessary to pay huge wads for citrus fragrances. The moves and notes perfumers can use are very limited in this genre and a lot depends on lasting power. There are literally only a few really expensive citruses that stand out imo. This flanker for 2012 is really very nice with the yuzu lasting right through to the end where I experience more sage than any amber or woods. This rolls in at under £40 for 120ml and lasts all day. Tremendous value and a lovely fragrace to boot.

kuanyin4's avatar

Paris by Coty

This is a beautiful floral scent, quite different from most. I don't get the aldehydes or the carnation, but everything else listed is coming through. I have the eau de toilette, which is usually rather strong in a very old scent, but not this one. It is light, zero sillage and 30 minutes later, I have to literally press my wrist into my nose to smell it. What a shame! I may try for a stronger version as it is really a captivating loveliness.

timmy-j's avatar

Voyage by Nautica

Great cologne for a great price. One of my most coplimented colognes. Great for a evryday work scent. Very fresh and clean smelling, kind of like a "just stepped out of the shower" scent. Smells a little bit soapy, in a good way. For the price (20$ for. 3.4oz) , I would call it a safe blind buy. Definitly worth owning.