Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

ortho123's avatar

Kanøn Norwegian Wood by Kanon

Almost didn't buy this stuff because I'm not a Beatles fan really, but glad I did.

Stays true to the Kanon tradition, especially that sense of a "natural scent" that connotes grooming in a very casual, day to day manner.

This is a very clean, lightly spiced. lightly "wooded" scent that I have been wearing on some hot, humid days...nothing cloying about it.

This is definitely a close up scent with very good longevity...a kind of light at the ocean oriental lotion by the end of the day.

Sandalwood indeed...the nutmeg hit me early on...a sort of drier, restrained vanilla that makes this one a winner.

cwill's avatar

New York Oud by Bond No. 9

All I got from this was rose. My wife told me I smelled like an old lady and to take it off. No oud (or even wood for that matter) whatsoever, just a bright rose that makes me feel like I'm at a funeral or in a grandmothers' house. If you're into ladies that will like that then by all means, buy it. I wear perfumes for myself mainly, but when my wife makes a comment like that and I agree...it's a done deal.

cwill's avatar

Erolfa by Creed

This only gets a neutral and not a thumbs down because the scent is so ridiculously good. Longevity is a 1 out of 10 on me. What a serious shame.

Oviatt's avatar

Dunhill Fresh by Dunhill

This is from the lean years of Dunhill's modern offerings--and it isn't even that old. Safe, boring, synthetic, this "fresh" scent has a soapy basil and freesia note, no middle notes that I can detect and no evidence of the wood, leather and patchouli listed in the base notes. This is actually not bad, but it lacks the distinction of Dunhill's earlier fragrances and seems to me to be something that they slipped though just to fill their slate. Nice bottle and fresh-looking blue juice. I can't see using my whole bottle and certainly wouldn't buy it again, but I am loyal to Dunhill despite their offerings like this one.

Oviatt's avatar

Perry Ellis for Men (original) by Perry Ellis

I loved this when it first came out. It smelled sweet but in a very manly way--the first time that I had ever experienced that in a scent. The leather, moss and vanilla in the basenotes were great! I would have thught that there was some spice in the mix, instead of the floral heart notes--the carnation takes on a really clovey spiciness. I haven't tried it in years and understand that it has been reformulated, which would be a shame--this was great stuff!

silentrich's avatar

Vanilla & Anise by Jo Malone

Like many of Jo Malone's fragrances, they're easy to describe. What your going to get is a nice vanilla and anise fragrance that smells great for the first 10 minutes. Very linear with very little projection and 2 hour longevity. If you can live with it's shortcomings Vanilla and Anise might be worth a try.

silentrich's avatar

Amber & Lavender by Jo Malone

Pretty straightforward fragrance. Very little sweetness and the lavender carries the fragrance throughout. Projection is average and longevity is average. There's nothing that makes this stand out and when a fragrance is this simple and linear it better have exceptional notes. It doesn't and in the end this becomes an expensive paper weight.

verycharlie's avatar

Loverdose by Diesel

I've never worn this, but sit next to a girl in the office who douses herself in the stuff so feel compelled to review. It's repellent. insect repellent. Previously she doused herself in 212 Sexy. It wasn't, it was 212 sickening, but at least after a while of unconsciously thinking 'what's this sickly fug?' I'd realise 'oh, it's her perfume, nothing to be done' and could blank it out the way you can an irritating noise. When she changed up to Loverdose I thought I was going mad..for weeks I could smell something wrong, something chemical, some underlying pervasive sickly sweet bleach..I'd sniff the air asking if the cleaners were trying to poison us or if they were burning plastic at the local building site. I didn't make the connection to perfume until one day she lent me the Loverdose body cream to use and told me it was her new favourite fume. Instant comprehension. The stuff smells exactly like the doses of thick, horrible, pink flavoured antibiotic we were given as kids. Something nasty disguised as something nice. Medicine masked with synthetic sweetness. The name suggests this might be intentional. The name also suggests the clap.

24 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 07 August, 2012)

Swanky's avatar

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

Zirh's Ikon is a surprise. There is little reason to suspect that the previously little known Zirh would release, in 2008, a fragrance more reminiscent of the 80s than the usual aquatic/fresh pablum contemporary with the 2000s. Take the cinnamon of Witness and the spicy incense of Carlo Corinto and add a hint of amber (the only concession to its era, I think) and shake well.

While I don't think this is quite at the level of Eau du Navigateur as a high-end incense, it is of above-average quality especially given the current discounted pricing for which Ikon is offered in 2012. It's better than anything in the Perry Ellis or Calvin Klein ranges. Bravo for a masculine throwback with stellar longevity and subdued sillage.

Ormonde Woman by Ormonde Jayne

Another top class delivery from Ormonde Jayne. Ormonde Woman opens with an extremely green/dark green accord that immediately brings to mind of a wet forest in the morning while subtle spicy notes add an extra oomph to the general outdoorsy vibe. Links to Ormonde Man are unquestionable but where the masculine version of this masterpiece turns into a cedarwood-vetiver-black hemlock drydown, Ormonde Woman pairs all of the above to a terrific amber-incense base of immense beauty. Intensely woody, thick but never overwhelming, elegant yet not too mannered. Pure perfection.

The woody-resiny element may lead to suspect the presence of Iso E Super but, even if so, the fragrance is so well balanced and orchestrated to result incredibly pleasant and, somewhat, novel. By all means, a masterpiece.

Boys, don't let the name mislead you, Ormonde Woman makes a terrific masculine.

Orris Noir by Ormonde Jayne

Orris Noir could definitely have been a LeLabo. If not for the smells itself, surely for the misleading label. LeLabo is famous for releasing fragrances named after an ingredient which too often doesn't play a relevant role in the composition itself (Rose 31 and Vetyver 46 among others). Orris Noir does basically the same thing. No iris whatsoever, not "noir" at all.

That being said, if you're fine with a peppery-woody-incensey fragrance dominated by a nice, yet unquestionably synthetic vibe, this is a pretty decent composition. Kinda dry yet, somewhat, slightly powdery, woody and incensey with nice piquant undertones. Far from being a masterpiece yet nice.

rogalal's avatar

Vocalise by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Not-too-sweet strawberry jam and a rosy floral smell over a perfumey soapy background. It's very linear and doesn't change much, starting a bit loud and ending like a quiet version of itself.

It smells to me like something Estee Lauder or Lancome would have done in the 80's, that time where their perfumes still smelled "perfumey" and had an air of class to them, but without the formality and depth that they would have had if they had come out 10 years earlier, when they would have been supported by an aldehydic chypre structure. Though, on the flip side, they smell a million times better than the stupid fruit candy smells that took over 10 years later, so it's sort of a middle ground between great and terrible.

If that sounds like I'm unhappy with Vocalises, I'm really not. If I were a woman and I worked in an office somewhere, I'd seriously consider this as an everyday scent. Like Foetidus said, Vocalises is classy without being too dressed up, and youthful without smelling immature. Sometimes you just want to smell nice and like you know your way around a perfume counter without smelling like you're perfumed for a night at the opera in a ball gown or reeking of some smoky niche weirdness, and Vocalises gets this smart middle ground perfect.

Amazingreen by Comme des Garçons

It seems like CDG is traying to desperately go mainstream which, to me, means everything but good news...

I'm an hardcore CDG fan but Amazingreen is probably the most disappointing delivery in their "ovaloid bottles series" since 8.88. The fragrance strikes as incredibly safe and modern (in the uninspiring and uninteresting meaning of the words), green and kinda watery with loads of woody amber. It opens peppery and fizzy with a huge dose of calone, just vile. The drydown is slightly better. Some vetiver, woods and a slightly pungent undertone which I guess being what they call gunpowder. Nice yet incredibly far from being groundbreaking or even attention worthy...

Personally I wasn't expecting something weird or even avant-garde but just a solid mainstream release a-la CDG2Man. It was about time to get a new blockbuster from Comme Des Garcons but, IMO, Amazingreen is very far from being a valid candidate.

An epic fail.

Anima Dulcis by Arquiste

This is probably the best option out of the Arquste's line of fragrances. A modernized oriental built around a cocoa-vanilla accord that's old-fashioned and extremely contemporary at the same time. Dark sugary undertones paired with a supporting paprika note provide interesting twists while cinnamon reinforces the overall oriental vibe.

Not as overpowering or heavy as you would expect from this type of fragrances and surely head and shoulders above the average quality of todays niche offerings. If you like Parfumerie Generale's takes on gourmands you'll probably dig this...

KJS88's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

I like this, but its changed in the last few years. There's this vegetal note in the top that makes the lavender a bit scratchy in the top. Otherwise, as it dries down, that scratchiness wears down a little bit, and it becomes a lovely vanilla-lavender mélange with a present, but all together indistinguishable supporting act of woody, herbaceous, and floral notes.

The lavender here is in my opinion not perfumey. The vegetal quality makes it feel therapeutic in a medicinal way; there is a "Provencale" feeling about it. Almost rustic or something.

Kaern's avatar

Baudelaire by Byredo

I put this squarely in the Miller Harris L'Air de Rien category. Sleazy, dirty, stagnant, dusty -- incense over paper and patchouli. The dirtiness is a bit overdone imo and I prefer the former. Could have ben a contender though. Byredo are a bit like early CDG at the moment, i.e. a new fragrance seems to appear every other week.

barclaydetolly's avatar

Original Cologne by Creed

This does not smell anything like its name. I get a strong blast of cloudy, perfumy pear. I don't like it one bit, unfortunately.

cheryl's avatar

Pluie de Soleil / Burst of Summer by Phaedon

I blind sampled this and it is not as vapid/undetectable/invisible as others in the line I have so far sampled. On my skin it's strawberries, cream and sugar. So, this is quite cheerful and trivial. I like it it in the same way I like other girly sugar fests and it reminds me strongly of a BB and Beyond hand soap. Would I step outside with this on my skin as my perfume choice? No, never. It's fine for housecoat-at-home time though. It lasts about 20 minutes ? Which is about right.

Amos Jolthead's avatar

Acqua Colonia Blood Orange & Basil by 4711

Simple and to the point: Blood orange and basil. These are the only two notes. Great mix, great scent! Goes on well in very hot weather, as well.

rynegne's avatar

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Bleu de Chanel opens with the citrus that everyone here speaks of. For me that lasts about 45 minutes. The dry-down is a beautiful wood/musk that reminds me of a walk on a cold beach. I would classify this as a more manly aquatic that has all the appeal of an intensely marketed aquatic with complexities of a modern fragrance. The projection on my skin is great I get about 10+ hours. I don't get why there's no love for this scent, maybe the over-the-top marketing or the Chanel label. However, I give Bleu de Chanel a 9.5/10 based on projection and the beautiful cloudy beach it takes me to on a dark autumn day.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

1000 Kisses Deep by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

Review of the re-issue in 2010 by Gorilla Perfume, previously B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful:

1000 Kisses Deep is Gorilla's osmanthus scent, accompanied by plenty of myrrh and labdanum. The overall effect, strangely, is of burnt caramel with a mandarin 'winning streak' – to continue the Leonard Cohen reference begun with the title. I wonder if the fragrance would've been better with less citrus; currently it feels like a distracting bright light is trying to seep through a velvet curtain.

Amos Jolthead's avatar

Acqua Brasilis by O Boticário

AB is first a panoply of citrus. This is to be followed by an Apricot and Fig mixture that is tinctured by a floral note, to which the tree says hyacinth. I was unfamiliar with the smell of hyacinth, but it’s not too shabby. The base notes are supposed to be sandalwood, amber and musk. The sandalwood is barely there. I’m not sure I actually smell sandalwood or whether or not I think I smell sandalwood because the notes tree says so. Anyway, the base notes are fair enough.

All in all, AB is a decent fragrance. It’s nothing that’s going to knock your socks off, but it’s pleasant smelling. The apricot and fig mixture is interesting. At times, I think the fig is a bit too much, but I think in the end, it’s a nice mix.

AB is good summer fragrance. The longevity is pretty good, maybe 6 hours or a little more and the sillage is also good quality.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Aramis Classic Reserve by Aramis

Aramis Classic Reserve is a richer, warmer, more mellow version of regular Aramis (1965). The analogy that comes to mind is that Classic Reserve is like the 18 year old Scotch; were as basic Aramis is the 12 year old Scotch. They are quite similar, but subtly different. I love regular Aramis anytime; but Classic Reserve is best for evenings and cooler months. It is lovely, and rare and never was very widely available. And that's the pity of it. Anyone who loves the Aramis notes will love this subtle, rich version if they can find it.

rynegne's avatar

Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

I love the smell of this one minus the patchouli. One thing to note...you don't need to spray this more than once or twice. Intense, Play definitely is.

Shifty Bat's avatar

New York for Gentlemen by Brooks Brothers

This is a stunner. I am quite surprised by New York for Gentlemen. The opening combination of the mandarin, verbena, petitgrain, and vetiver creates an accord like lime rinds and the warm, spicy backdrop of cumin may well be the best use of cumin I have encountered so far. This is not a loud or assertive fragrance, nor is it a meek one, but rather a suave, confident scent that stays close and lingers and develops richly and nicely.

If I had to compare it to anything else, I'd say that NY for G comes across like a Creed summer scent or 4711 with the warmth and sort of fuzzy texture of New York by Parfums de Nicolai. The drydown is very pleasant, and reminds me a little of Fendi Uomo. This is a great bargain scent, so if you see a bottle at a local Marshall's or similar know it is worth much more than the $17 price tag.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Number 1 for Men by Clive Christian

Reminds me of Seraphim by Ormonde Jayne for 20 Limited.
    Powder, cedar ,ylang ylang ,a touch of vanilla and vetiver. It's beautiful and unisex.

Aleksandr by Arquiste

Aleksandr is far from deserving the hype it's currently getting. Don't get me wrong, the fragrance is actually pretty nice yet not completely satisfying. It opens with a green accord of violet leaf an subtle neroli notes paired to a suedey undertone that while being everything but novel, it still doesn't achive the successful status of other fragrances which played the same thing in the past (expecially more classic russian leather-inspired fragrances). What really makes the difference is an overall transparent, kinda watery, vibe which is, at the same time, modern and a tad off-putting.

Fortunately, this aspect quickly recedes to leave space to a refined leather base enriched by slight vanillic elements with balmy undertones. Understated, elegant and quiet yet not groundbreaking as they want us to believe. Mild thumbs up.

25 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 26 July, 2012)

farang's avatar

Thailand Thailand

parfums*PARFUMS Guerrilla 1 by Comme des Garçons

This is a weird and interesting fragrance! It smells natural, but not really natural; sweet but not really sweet; floral but not really floral. It certainly smells synthetic, but not very synthetic.

At the base seems to be a metallic/plastic kind of scent, while there are sweet floral notes as well. It all comes together to produce a fragrance which is unique and modern. During the drying down phase it turns more mainstream and is very pleasant.

It is surprisingly wearable, and this is the kind of fragrance you should put on when you visit cutting edge art galleries and contemporary art exhibitions.

25 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 August, 2012)

AlHamr's avatar

Turtle Vetiver Front by LesNez

Oh yeah, what a ride!

But for something that starts with such a bang, it settles down very quickly very close to the skin and longevity is disappointing on me. I think this might be because it really is not much else but vetiver. At very close quarters it does linger almost imperceptibly though, but for something with such a big opening it feels like a bit of an anticlimax.

My quest for the perfect vetiver continues. For everyday I'll keep the Guerlain, but for sheer (albeit short-lived) earthy pungency and authenticity, Turtle wins.

25 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 August, 2012)

Hojji77's avatar

Capucci pour Homme by Roberto Capucci

Pleasant and inoffensive citrus with herbal notes in the beginning, clean and dignified drydown. Resolves for me to citrus for the remainder of its relatively short ride, with a distinct overtone of Ivory soap. Even when applied liberally it's a relatively unmuscular fragrance, lacking stamina; I have difficulty believing that the '67 formulation had so little oomph. Currently available online at ridiculously low prices, this bottle is hard to condemn, but unlikely ever to take a major place in my rotation.

25 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 August, 2012)