Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

Hojji77's avatar
    Hojji77

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

Perhaps the highest compliment to be paid to this fragrance is that no one seems to know what to make of it--reviewers have called it everything from cold and nasty to warm and Christmassy. I find it a bit cold, if not exactly nasty--it's more abstract and oblique than anything else. I agree that there's a strong inorganic top--concrete as people have mentioned, maybe tennis balls a little. Then there's just a veil, a scrim, a gray and unevocative fougere that you can't penetrate. I guess whether you read it as mystery or mere superficiality depends on you.

25 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 13 August, 2012)

rynegne's avatar
    rynegne

Armani Code Sport by Giorgio Armani

First, I am not a fan of Armani Code. As a flanker, I'm not sure as to why this frag carries the same name. If you're looking for a sportier version of the original code, I'd look elsewhere. The initial blast from this EDT is very spicy (pepper) and citrusy, this wonderful smell only lasts about an hour. The dry-down, which happens very quickly very sweet, almost bubble gum esque with a hint of pepper and mint. Overall, not worth a hefty price tag but it's a great versatile fragrance. I'd consider this in humid and warmer climates where you'll get more out of the fragrance.

25 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 15 August, 2012)

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Blu Mediterraneo Tuscan Cypress / Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma

I really appreciate this fragrance, a well made aromatic herbal  scent with a coniferous backbone and some marine undertones. Clean, cool, invigorating, in the same vein of the great New West For Him Aramis (a bit less fruity and less smoky of the latter) and some Grey Flannel , a fragrance with a wonderful citric initial grapefruit, some salty-iodate elements in the blend and a projecting lavender that is really pleasant, a bit barber-shop and yet cool-balsamic. The juice developes a fluidy soul made of aromatic elements (as  oregano, rosemary, may be verbena and juniper berries) and conifers (the starring cypress and the pine). The conjuration is focused over the windy air of the mediterranean coast with its iodate aromatic breeze  and with all its olfactory bagage of resins, conifers, agreeable greens and spices that is aroused due the windy whiffs coming from the woods placed near the seaside. The dry down is a conventional but well appointed woody-musky patchouli, masculine and balanced. A thoughtful  choice for the lovers of the genre.

25 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 04 September, 2012)

Noblesse Oblige's avatar
    Noblesse Oblige

Vetiver by Guerlain

My initial review is below the line. Since I wrote it, I tried the juice in the "new" traditional bottle, still green but much more like the original 1961 version. It has much less citrus and more of that woodsy/tobacco note that made the original so wonderful. I am sure that Guerlain will deny changing anything, as they did when they switched away from the original mix. The problem of course is that one cannot be sure what one is getting when one plunks down the fare for one of these bottles. But I can now give the version in the rediscovered bottle a thumbs up.
    _________________________________________________________________

I really should give a split vote. An enthusiastic thumbs up for the original, now extinct, Guerlain masterpiece, recognizable by its yellow color. A resounding thumbs down for its green replacement.

Whereas the original was always a love affair to wear and for others to sense and compliment on, the new formulation is simply bitter lemon, over citrused in the extreme and completely uninteresting. I had worn the original exclusively since I first discovered it and still have a few bottles which I will horde for as long as I can.

I see that the bottle has been changed again but the juice remains green. Packaging won't save this loser.

25 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 27 September, 2012)

Possum-Pie's avatar
    Possum-Pie

Aventus by Creed

The first time I smelled this It smelled like a wet ashtray. There was little pineapple. After reading all of the positive reviews on BN, I gave it a second chance. This bottle was a wonderful blend of Pineapple and apples. Like all of the other Creeds I have tried, there is inferior longevity and projection. I can smell it on my clothes/skin after 8 hrs but There is no projection even to my nose after 4hrs. For a company like Creed to have such poor quality control is an excuse, not an explanation. Overall a disappointment for all the hype.

25 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 19 October, 2012)

Michael Picasso's avatar
    Michael Picasso

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

I had great hopes for this one. After reading glowing reviews, I am somewhat dissapointed. EDB initially starts out vey niche like, with a spicy rich somewhat incense vibe to it. However, after a few hours, it morphs into basically a vanilla candle aroma. I don't wan't to smell like a cheap vanilla candle. Compared as of lately to Spicebomb, Spicebomb, blows it out the door! There is a richness and luxurious sheen to the V&R composition the is lacking in the EDB. The EDB ultimately falls way short of the smooth elegance of Spicebomb. I was a little suspicious of the price point of EDB, and maybe for good reason too.

someperfumes's avatar
    someperfumes

Vraie Blonde by Etat Libre d'Orange

Might be my skin chemistry, but on me this smells like a mixture of household soap and sweat, with a tiny bit of peach thrown in.

Fleurine's avatar
    Fleurine

Séville à l'Aube by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is a review of the fragrance only as I have not read the book. Seville a L'Aube (at dawn) is a sunny soft oriental centered around Orange Blossom/Lavender/Incense with a good dose of candlewax. To me this is like L'Artisan's version of Mon Precieux Nectar, only dryer and with lavender.
    SAL'A is a young mildly sweet scent, with a wonderful mix of sexiness and churchiness. For those barefoot evenings in Tuscany, or La Madrugada en Espana when anything could happen....not a brain-bendingly complex scent, but unique. Cool lavender, warm orange blossom, and burning incense. I like this minmal, soft and sexy oriental.

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

The overwhelmingly positive responses to Love and Luck make me question what the juice is in the bottles that I've sampled. The superlatives ladled onto this fragrance aren't justified by anything I'm experiencing.

I smell a bogus citrus, so common in men's offerings these days. I won't check off the roster of similar fragrances; it might crash the servers. For the first two hours or so, this is hard to take, smelling very synthetic and harsh. It does simmer down after that and smells relatively pleasant but incredibly derivative and commonplace. The packaging is second-rate as well.

Excellent959's avatar
    Excellent959

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Timeless creamy masterpiece.....It's a shame that macy's and dillards only carry and are pusing the platinum version on us, which is nothing like the original, avoid at all cost. Went straight to chanel.com and they shipped with free 2 day air and 2 samples in a beautiful chanel bag wrapped in tissue paper. Nice to see, that there are companies like chanel, which treat people like customers. I'm not working for chanel, just felt the urge to compliment them. Also don't have to go into detail, on what it smells like, there are people on the forum, who can do a much better job describing. Do me a favor and sample, you'll fall in love all over again :-)

jcw122's avatar
    jcw122

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

If you love strong, overpowered green scents, this is for you! I only used a single spray to the chest, and even after letting it sit for a while it is still incredibly intense for my nose. I know that if I smelled this on another person I'd probably get nauseous. The scent is interesting after warming up but it's just far too intense.

Fortunately, the dry down is pretty wonderful after that initial, pungent green scent wears off a bit. Otherwise, stay away from other people!

someperfumes's avatar
    someperfumes

Vierges & Toreros by Etat Libre d'Orange

This smells very masculine to me, which would normally mean that I'd never wear it myself. However, I believe this one will be an exception to the rule - I'm actually looking forward to wearing it again.

slownose's avatar
    slownose

Eau Sauvage Parfum by Christian Dior

I don't have a professional nose. However, this smells like tiger balm with Burberry Brit. I smelled both the eau de toilette and parfum version. They smell nothing alike;the edt gives me a headache just like Guerlain Vetiver while this one does not.

dollars&scents's avatar
    dollars&scents

Visit by Azzaro

Visit for Men by Azzaro - One is initially treated to a wave of spice. An abundant nutmeg, with its soft and sweet, cinnamon-like character, couples with cardamon, with its slightly woody and anise-like facets, pink pepper, with its fruity and tart highlights, as well as ginger, with its peppery, lightly sweet, and faint lemony aspects. A menthol-like undercurrent from cedar leaves carries the stirring brew to the heart. Here, the Atlas cedar comes into its own, imparting its richly balsamic and camphoraceous accord, and vies with a lively incense, with its resinous, myrrh-like smokiness, for dominance. Guiacwood infuses its tea-rose woodiness, while a muted nutmeg is relegated to the background. Transitioning to the base, a skin-like musk intermingles with a ambergris, with its fleshy, slightly leathery and sweet woodiness. The bustling incense flitters about in the background. A pleasant drydown ensues. This masculine and well-done composition has very good projection, a 2-foot scent cloud, and very good longevity, about 10 hours; resultantly, spray sparingly. This appealing fragrance can be had rather inexpensively.

Jack Hunter's avatar
    Jack Hunter

Eau de Santal by Floris

It opens with a watery lemon which quickly gives way to a cardamom and nutmeg with a slight hint of vanille. It gets soft and spicy with the pepper and clove mixing in with the ingredients.

I find this very refined and restrained and would make a perfect office or anytime and anywhere fragrance. It smells really nice and I love the soft spice which is the "star accord" within this fragrance. The only thing I wish is that the volume of the fragrance was slightly turned up as it does feel to quiet for its own good. Nice fragrance though.

rum's avatar
    rum
    Greece Greece

Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza by Acqua di Parma

I was initially hesitant to buy a bottle after sampling it in stores during 2010 and 2011, but a bargain on the For Sale board persuaded me to go for a bottle. I was glad that I did, as I now find I am addicted to this scent.

First of all, regardless of whether you like rose, you'll be please to hear that the heart is a very refined and masterfully blended rose/jasmine/rosemary that just has to be the best masculine-rose-blend I have ever tried. No powdery after scent, no dodgy notes to go with it. Just a very smooth, refined all-over scent.

It's described as a winter scent strangely, but I find it has worked in the summer for me so far, albeit at limited quantities. To me it feels like a year-round scent, suitable for all sorts of weather.

First off, I get some of the grapefruit and tangerine. Subdued and authentic, the rose/jasmine/rosemary heart kicks in fairly soon and the transition is just magical. There is petit-grain and patchouli in there too, but even after a day of wearing this, I still detect the heart notes on my skin/clothes. It's a strong scent, but not overpowering. Very Mediterranean, true to the AdP heritage, but so modern and very smartly put together.

I have long been a fan of the original Colonia as the best citrus there is, and I still am, but Essenza is a worthy 'upgrade' that will for sure be in my wardrobe for years to come.

RobbieX's avatar
    RobbieX

Van Gils by Van Gils

Great retro powerhouse. Powerful and long lasting. In same family as Antaeus and Salvador Dali Pour Homme. A really good frag.

LorenzoVil's avatar
    LorenzoVil

Lavender Palm by Tom Ford

Floral, incense, creamy. From beginning to end this is absolutely gorgeous

LorenzoVil's avatar
    LorenzoVil

Christopher Dicas by Christopher DiCas

Very masculine, exotic, mysterious scent with a subtle sweetness from mastic,lavender,musk and sandalwood. The scent stays with you all day long. I had strangers (both male & female) complimenting and asking the name of the cologne...

L'Etrog by Arquiste

A citron hologram introduces a honestly crafted woody-citrus fragrance that's refined, nice smelling and very wearable. The woody notes (incredibly not overdone) and some sweetness, provide some sustain to an otherwise extremely fleeting composition that while resulting definitely pleasant, it still doesn't have the ability to stand out in todays overpopulated niche market...

Nice yet somewhat forgettable.

rogalal's avatar
    rogalal

Or des Indes by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I've quite enjoyed getting to know Or Des Indes. I can tell that it's technically a chypre - it's got that fusion that happens when bergamot meets moss - but that's in the background. The main smell is largely methyl ionone, that chemical in Knize Ten and Mitsouko that smells like doughy suede. Aside from the chypre elements, this is also ornamented with a polite amber, that classic "orinetal" smell you get from mixing sandalwood and patchouli, a pinch of powdery poop, and a sweet fruity smell that reminds me of a green version of Mitsouko's peach skin note. It's got an awful lot going on at once, but pulls it off very skillfully. All in all, it smells like a classic French "oriental" perfume like Bal A Versailles with elements of Mitsouko thrown in.

And I guess that's the problem. The biggest sin that Or Des Indes commits is reminding me of perfumes that I like better. Part of it is definitely the concentration - it's kind of timid and I can't help but think that this could positively soar as an extrait. But really, it's got the feel of Bal A Versailles without the epic skank, the bready spiced suede of Knize Ten without the balancing florals, and the doughy peach chypre ingredients of Mitsouko without the magic.

All in all, I still think Or Des Indes is a very good perfume and deserves a thumbs up. I'll gladly take a weak mash-up of Mitsouko and Bal A Versailles over some stupid perfume that smells like a candy flavor. That being said, were I in the mood for something like this, there are 4 or 5 unabashed masterpieces that I'd reach for before Or Des Indes.

Jarling by JAR

Those who are familiar with JAR know that this brand is to perfumery just like a 1936 Bugatti 57SC Atlantic is to cars. A completely out of the world experience that's far beyond pure luxury and pleasure as we know them. JAR fragrances have the ability to drive you, within a single wearing, from heaven to hell and back. An experience that will redefine the sense of smell and the usual evaluating paramenters with no turning back.

Jarling makes no exception. What may sound as an average heliotrope soliflore, upon application delivers an extremely caleidoscopic blast of mimosa, almond, marzipan and star anise paired to challenging bitter undertones that bring to mind of cyanide and what I will call "vintage antibiotic syrup for children" (Baktrim anyone?). While all of the above sound disencouraging, Jarling is immediately ready to evolve into one of the most delicate almondy-mimosa-lilac centered fragrance ever created.Plush, sophisticated and, considering the price tag, extremely exclusive. By all means, a JAR.

Lovers of Apres L'Ondeè, take note. This is the final frontier.

Downside: Not as tenacious as one would expect from a JAR.

Exultat by Maria Candida Gentile

I'll skip the inspiration anecdote regarding Exultat because, being myself Italian, I find it a bit stereotyped and, therefore, uninteresting. Now, onto the fragrance...

Exultat opens with bitter notes of orange and lime which pair perfectly with the massive dose of frankincese immediately detectable since the very beginning. Simply fantastic in its severity. A candied violet note, which I'm usually not a big fan of, takes over right away smoothing the general austerity and leading the composition towards more friendly territories where the incense brings to mind of clean liturgical vestments stored in antique chests of drawers. Slightly dusty, slightly powdery with a good dose of mistery. The violet-incense accord settles down and merges with a thick base of cedarwood and vetiver giving birth to an incredibly long lasting drydown which, together with the opening, is the best part of this composition.

Do I like it? Not completely. I actually can't get past the candied violet driven mid-phase (in this case, this is just a matter of personal taste) but, if you're fine with the accord, Exultat represents one of the most original renditions of liturgical frankincense.

Respect.

rum's avatar
    rum
    Greece Greece

Aventus by Creed

Aventus had landed on my door mat several times - I got a couple of samples sent complimentary here in the UK when it was first launched in 2010. I didn't get it at first, so used the samples up and thought nothing of it. Some days later, I noticed a strong but sweet musk/smoky/woody scent on some of my clothes which really made my mood up-beat. Several in-store samples later and I bought my first bottle!

Overall, this is no different to a classic 'citrus on the top, with a woody base' scent. Absolutely nothing new here as a concept. But it's the way this is crafted that makes this fragrance just.... majestic! The citrus is replaced by fruit, with some very unique notes - pineapple, apple and bergamot. The base isn't just your usual woody mix of sandalwood and vetiver - instead they've used notes like oakmoss, birchwood and musk mixed with a little vanilla (yes, vanilla!). The heart is quite unique too - rose and jasmine are a great combination, but quite rare in men's perfumery. Unique and high quality ingredients all round, making this a top quality fragrance.

Granted, each bottle/sample (well almost) has smelt differently to me, with the birchwood and apple fighting for overall control with the pineapple. I am not going to talk about this here at any great length as I am reviewing the fragrance, not the company's Quality Control. Having said that, the differences are there.

Overall, it has turned some heads, but not as some people have mentioned, although I don't wear it all that much - it's a fragrance for important occasions! It's definitely a 1 or 2, maximum 3 sprays fragrance, due to it's strength. The wearer ought to take this into account on hot days and in confined spaces or unventilated areas. It projects like crazy at times and is an all-round, all-weather fragrance. It's my number 1 Creed and definitely a permanent addition to my wardrobe!

Zut's avatar
    Zut

Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal

Top: Myrrh, tonka beans, benzoin
    Heart: Guaiac wood, myrrh, vetiver
    Base: Beeswax

In the official Annick Goutal website, Myrrhe ardente is described as follows:

"A heady emanation composed of benzoin, vanilla tonka pods, almost balmy and devilishly addictive; essence of gaiac wood, soft and voluptuous; and enveloping and honeyed pure beeswax extract."

This fragrance may seem candyish to some but it is rather dry actually. Myrrh is quite a bitter resin. The benzoin contained in Myrrhe ardente balances and softens the drier and smokier myrrh, vetiver and guaiac wood notes. In the old days, when fumigation was a current therapy, myrrh was very often mixed with benzoin because the fumes of myrrh alone were too unpleasant. The myrrh/benzoin combination works very well in Myrrhe ardente. The tonka beans and honey/beeswax notes slightly sweeten the composition as well without turning it into a cloying gourmand fragrance.

On me, Myrrhe ardente has a weird rubbery smell until the dry-down begins. Then, this odd whiff turns into an intoxicating, slightly smoky, sassafras-like note (I perfectly understand the "root-beer" reference mentioned by fellow reviewers). One of the great characteristics of this unique fragrance is its unbelievable longevity (well over 8 hours, in my personal case). Myrrhe ardente may not be for everyone but it most certainly makes a statement. Two and a half thumbs up!

Andyjreid's avatar
    Andyjreid
    Scotland Scotland

Peau d'Espagne by Santa Maria Novella

I've worn the Peau d'Espagne now for a couple of days from a sample and simply, I'm blown away.

I find it hard to describe how I feel about it. It's old yet has a modern abstract feeling about it. Very much un-mainstream. I absolutely love the birch tar note in there and that adds a real "old world" woody aspect to the fragrance. The whole time this is going on you have faint floral/herbaceous notes floating about in there and they are sitting at the side on a pillow of talc.

The star of this scent though is the medicinal/balmy/ambery binding in the base which along with the dryness of this scent, brings all the notes together. "Leather " fragrances can be cloying (GFT Spanish Leather) and can sometimes be over the top (Knize Ten). I agree with one of the previous reviews saying this is stronger than the above but it is much more perfectly balanced than any other leather I've worn before.

I had previously started a thread in the forum here about finding a scent which was the smell of walking into the entrance hall of Santa Maria Novella in Florence. A lot of answers came back but this is that scent (maybe adding in a little of SMN Pot Pourri), this is alchemy, this is Santa Maria Novella.

The smell of a perfumer in a centuries old building with surrounds just as old. Old oak which has soaked up all the fragrances past and holds those scents as memories for everyone to smell in the future.

This is simply wonderful.

Now...... to try and source a bottle.

ericrico's avatar
    ericrico

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This is truly awesome fragrance! To me, if you can get imagery out of scent, then you have accomplished something unique and exceptional. Your olfactory senses allow your mind to visualize...with La Nuit de l'Homme, I find myself on dark, cool night with a light breeze and a full moon shining bright, radiating off of clouds. I am in the woods - alone, but not afraid or cold. I am walking on a path to the one I love and I will be there soon...and, I know she is waiting for me.

Okay - a little cheesy, but this is honestly how transcendent YSL's juice is to me. I first smelled this and was absolutely in love with the intoxicatingly rich and spicy cardamom - a note that I am already very fond of and I think this bottle has used it masterfully! However, as singular as the nose is at first, it warms into a heart of gorgeous lavender (fresh, not dried) that is blended harmoniously with warm citrus (bergamot), which also lifts the scent and giving it a breeze of fresh air. The cedar is not overly used or dusty - on the contrary - this is very rich and damp cedar and very well-integrated. The olfactory pleasure continues into the dry down with a nice fresh vetiver note that is not overly "rooty" or earthy. A slightly sharp, but also clean vetiver that melds with the cedar and lavender with the cardamom carrying through the whole composition. This turns, on my skin (nothing short of amazing) slightly sweet, powdery blend of notes that just seem to breathe on my me! Don't over-apply!

I have seen people say 3-4 shots - one on the chest, one each pulse point on the neck and one on the back of neck. I think I would say that is about right - on a cold night (when this is perfect) maybe add one to the wrists. This is a fantastic, radiating scent. Maybe put one shot on your shirt, but this really feels fantastic (and smells right) on my skin. I prefer it there...

A true night-time scent - possibly year-round with milder application on a summer night, but absolutely do-able. Stunning, dark, sexy as hell and chic! Better for formal, but possible with up-scale casual attire. This can wear you, if you are not confident and know what you want out of "that night". If you are in a Nascar shirt and jeans shooting pool and wear this, you have offended this fragrance and the bottle should be taken away from you at once.

My firm score - 9/10. Don't try to make this work for you...ask your partner as you are close with them if this is something they like. La Nuit de l'Homme is truly an intimate fragrance. I believe most will love it, but if they don't then you need to find something that does - or possibly another partner. Cheers.

franeri's avatar
    franeri

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Honeyed, ripe red bell pepper with a little cayenne. Nice. Good projection, decent longevity. Gets stronger on my skin over time.

HowardUK's avatar
    HowardUK

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

First review. I gave this a proper wearing today 6 sprays and surprising to me I received more compliments on this fragrance than any one in the past. Rarely does someone even mention that I am wearing EDT let alone say they like it. This received 3 compliments in the space of 4 hours and must have been projecting well as 2 were from a good 5 feet away.

I personally like this right from the top to the base. I can see a similarity with the original Fahrenheit picking up the violet left with some added spearmint, basil, and citrus. The top is very watery and in my opinion quite unique with the violet undertone.

Certainly not as in your face as the fahrenheit from my youth but just as pleasing for the first few hours.

hamd's avatar
    hamd

Encre Noire by Lalique

this juice is from heaven, it costs less and outruns all the vetiver numbers out there