Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

shamu1's avatar

Legend by Michael Jordan

I didn't like this at first, but having worn it now a couple of times, I've come around to liking it.

It starts off ultra-sweet, like the opening of AMen or BMen, and is too sweet for me. It smells like caramel blended with capuccino, and very much like Rochas Man. If Legend stayed this sweet the entire time, I'd throw in the towel, because it's way too sweet for me.

The drydown is where it's at. It's extremely heavy on the amber, and I don't like amber, but there are also aromatic notes like patchouli and cedar that break up the sweetness and make the amber smell spicy and masculine. Together, they create a wonderful accord that smells just like good quality sandalwood - rich, deep and masculine.

MY RATING: 8/10

02 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 27 July, 2012)

farang's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Vetiver by Guerlain

I tried Guerlain Vetiver on one wrist and Creed Original Vetiver on the other wrist simultanously. While the Creed fragrance projected fresh, green vetiver it was rather unilinear. The Guerlain Vetiver on the other hand started out as fresh and green, but moved on to complex layers of other notes, some spicy and some cedar like. It meandered beautifully and lasted forever, or a whole day at least.

November 2012
    I had the chance to try an older Vetiver from around 15 years back. It is clearly deeper yellow in colour and more spicy than the current version. I would say it smells more from turmeric while the most recent version is more soapy. Better or not....I am not sure.

02 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2012)

noirdrakkar's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Certainly goes for the rubbery-asphalt kind of scent that is masculine, though tea and vanilla are detectable too. This is not a bad scent, but for me, I wouldn't call it a must-have. Test this one before you blind buy.

noirdrakkar's avatar

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

This one is a flanker of the original Bulgari Aqua (made in 2005), with the same oblate bottle design, except with a much lighter bottle.

Bulgari Aqua was a salty aquatic with a dark mysterious unique and a little spicy drydown. That was more of a night time fragrance or an office fragrance. This one, with it's grapefruit note readily present, is more of a casual daytime fragrance.

This is good for the summer and any age can wear this. However, it is not really creative or unique, and I don't think this is as good as the Bulgari Aqua. This fragrance isn't bad. It is just unremarkable, forgettable and easily replaceable.

There are just hundreds of typical run of the mill fresh fragrances out there. This one does nothing to stand out as better as any of the other ones.

The only case that I would suggest people to buy this is if they own the original Bulgari Aqua and they like it so much that they want a fragrance that is similar to it, but suited for casual day to day occasions.

Verdict: I'm not recommending this one.

rogalal's avatar

Tango by Aftelier

Every once in a while, I come across a perfume in my sampling that simply smells like nothing else I've ever smelled. In a world where designers do nothing but copy each other and most niche brands get by simply reinterpreting the same few basic formulas, that's saying a LOT. Thank goodness for true niche perfumers and perfumes like Tango.

In short, it's based on smoked seashells. Not some chemical that people have decided smells "marine", but honest-to-goodness essence somehow distilled from actual smoked seashells. Take a moment and let that sink in...

So what does it smell like? It's a burnt mineral smell, reminiscent of sweet smoking resins, but also like a rock that's been sitting in an aquarium, soaking up the smell of brine which has, in turn, soaked up the smell of fish and seaweed and algae. Like concrete infused with the smell of a store full of aquariums on which someone has burned something.

This is mixed with orange on the top (though it mostly acts as a sweetener - I would never have figured out orange without reading the notes), as well as some smoky pine. Officially, this is mostly sold as a champaca scent, but I can't smell any peachy flowers or figure out how they contribute to the watery fishy mineral smell, so curious champaca lovers may be in for quite a surprise.

An hour or so in, a chickory-ish coffee note slips in, a strange partner to the sweet mineral smell that somehow manages to work.

In a world of marshmallow fluff perfumes and $250 niche scents that all regurgitate the same formulas, I love that Tango exists. That being said, it's not a comfortable perfume. Any perfume that smells vaguely fishy is never going to appeal to very many people, myself included, as an everyday scent. That being said, if you're on the verge of burning out on sampling perfumes, do yourself a favor and sniff Tango, just for the jolt of something truly different.

jimmyfresno's avatar

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

I don't know about Bond. It seems these fragrances artfully concoct the most synthetic, impersonal aspects of fragrances that are all supposed to conjure memories with their elaborate backstories. I almost try to ignore the descriptions of perfumes because they are all so hyped, but Bond's word artestry is sublime.

Hamptons is supposed to be unisex, but comes across as feminine only because it is so chipper. Beyond "fresh," it is hair product clean. I think it is a touch of synthetic rose, combined with a soapy accord, that does it, although rose isn't listed in the notes.

Someone said that Bond is great with topnotes but basenotes are crafted unsuccessfully. I would guess that the basenotes are purposefully lacking because Morganthaler is trying to keep the topnotes supersonically high without muddling them. If the topnotes were worthy of this treatment, I would approve.

manicboy's avatar

Terre de Bois by Miller Harris

Have to admit that I bought this one heavily discounted. Doubt I would pay the niche prices for it as there are other fragrances similar to this that are better and cheaper (vintage Rochas Eau de PH, AdP Assoluta). Still, TdB has a natural smell, herb-of-the-earth, that's hard to come by. It's pretty much Verbena, Vetiver and Galbanum with a Patchouli/Woody background. Can't imagine what the EdP adds to the mix but the EdT is the one I have and it's very presentable.

manicboy's avatar

Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris

Dusty tobacco/cinnamon frag similar to Very Valentino and Aramis Havana. Too dry for my tastes and doesn't evolve enough. Not enough tobacco either. I'm glad I did not buy this as it's exorbitantly overpriced. Get Dreamer or vintage Dolce PH if you crave a nice tobacco scent.

Marais's avatar

Costume National Homme by Costume National

A tart grapefruit note at the open rapidly fades, leaving a sustained, virtually unchanging drydown of tobacco leaf, spices (mainly cardamom) and patchouli. This is quite dry but sweetened just a touch by vanilla. There is something about this combination of notes which conjures a coconut aroma. Longevity is legendary; this is one of my go-to scents when I've a long day ahead.

yellow_cello's avatar

Batucada by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Melon melon melon with a slosh of lime and a touch of fresh mint. Pleasant enough, and my sample is definitely brightening up the British (ie rainy) summer, but too sweet for me

yellow_cello's avatar

La Chasse Aux Papillons Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Tuberose and cut grass - not freshly cut grass, but grass that's been cut for a few days and is turning to hay, with the sun shining on it. There's a sharpness to it which makes me not like it that much, but I do keep coming back to it so something in me must like it!

shamu1's avatar

Basile Uomo (original) by Basile

The version I have is in a 100 ml. splash bottle, so I'm assuming this is the "orignal" version. Whatever version it is, this is an incredible herbal powerhouse fragrance.

The list of notes in Basile is enormous and is pretty typical of the heavy hitters of its era (the 80s). However, it's different from most power scents in that the dry green herbal qualities, rather than the leather and patchouli, are the focus. This is an herbal and green fragrance lover's dream! Delightful green notes like basil, artemisia, and pine are front and center, and give this a sharp, brisk edge from start to finish. I can certainly smell the usual 80s bruisers like leather, moss and patchouli all in here, and they give the scent the requisite muscle for the era, but they don't overpower.

If you love green, 80s or powerhouse fragrances, Basile Uomo should be on your sampling list.

MY RATING: 9/10

MaxHeadroom's avatar

Epic Man by Amouage

Epic Man is one of the best offerings from Amouage - full stop. Prime time, gorgeous, seductive, manly, easy to wear, assertive and has a separation point that I love and I'm thankful for it. Epic represents probably one of the iconic agarwoods on the planet as of now. If you were wondering how full moon smells alike, you should ask Randa Hammami. She proved with this composition she knows the answer.

[by +714Hz]

Francolino's avatar

Musc for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

incredibly sexy, modern powerhouse, got lots of compliments, it will become a staple in my wardrobe

Francolino's avatar

Terre d'Hermès Parfum by Hermès

summer sexy and with a mesmerizing spell on women!!

soirdelune's avatar

Unconditional pour Femme by Peter Andre

Lipstick and biscuits.

indianwells's avatar

Wales Wales

Chèvrefeuille Original by Creed

I pick up more mint than honeysuckle but it is none the worse for that. Very light, and perfect for Spring/Summer. I don't find it at all feminine and I think it is perfect for the office. Almost ethereal. Very, very nice.

soirdelune's avatar

Nocturnes by Caron

Aldehydic, floral fizz. A bright, inoffensive scent for the working day. Distinctly recall my mother's '80s version being higher octane, but no great tragedy. This is a pleasant and harmless scent that can quite lift the spirits.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Dark Aoud by Montale

Imagine stepping into a cigar box with the proportions of a cathedral, the air clogged with ancient dust and crammed with shadows, filled with a silence so total that it pulsates in synchrony with your heart. Dark Aoud has a compelling, grim monumentality that is all its own. While not a million light years away from Etat Libre d'Orange's Rien, it is both grander and more subtle.

The first hour is forbidding: a vespertinal fug of saffron and pepper and parched woods. Then, having been hurled into outer darkness, one's reprieve emerges in the form of sandalwood, the transition to which is like pencil lead morphing into McVities digestive biscuits. You could try pairing Dark Aoud with Bois des Îles at this point, as if to place Chanel's ivory Queen next to Montale's ebony King; the combination has a striking, Bergmanesque quality.

The only note I am not keen on and which is woven throughout the composition is a repellant DEET-like thing. It's obvious during the first hour, but is thankfully occluded by the nutty sandalwood and vetiver in the base.

With a grisaille drydown of bitter amber, tired wool and leather that lasts for aeons, Dark Aoud proves itself a breathtaking, bleakly awesome scent.

karazzmatic's avatar

Block Buster by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

This is an unusual scent- sort of like incense burning in a room during a sweet and sensual sexual encounter. There are no notes for that, but I'm sure bpal lists them on their site. The scent takes you back with a warm and spicy holiday feel curled up next to that special someone, but exudes an energy that could easily cling to the sun on an early spring day. You must simply try this for yourself- you dab it on as it is a very nice oil, and a little in the right places goes a long way. I was unsure about bpal, but now I know, and I will be trying more!!

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Mimosa by Czech & Speake

Oh dear ! I see not too many people enjoy Mimosa by C & S.
    I totally understand that the problem could be the indolic nature of this scent especailly right at the start.
    It has the same indolic factor that Joy has in extrait and also it reminds me of the very slight indole I get in Jasmal by Creed. . It's the jasmine that is causing issues no doubt .However, I guess I am swayed as I quite like a bit of indole . In Mimosa it opens with a slightly fetid breath with a powdery mimosa which then tunes into green jasmine. I find it very vintage in character .
    I like it but I don't need a bottle.

Zuzuz Petalz by Zuzuz Petalz

l must first of all confess that l tried this perfume oil mainly because of the name; anyone who has ever seen the iconic movie "lt's a Wonderful Life" will surely understand that. lt also has three of my favourite notes in the notes list. And it smells exactly like Fracas! lt is, however, much more of a skin scent, & so it might appeal to those who love the smell of Fracas, but not the huge sillage. lt also lacks the complex nuances of Fracas' drydown; it is much more linear, but the overall impression is the same; mainly tuberose with the other florals as supporting notes. The only reason l am giving it a neutral is because it only lasts around three hours on me.

Alityke's avatar

Relaxing Fragrance by Shiseido

This is the smell of calm. Watery but not aquatic. Spa like but not medicinal. How clean,high thread count, white sheets should smell but no laundry musks.

My bottle is almost gone. When it's finished I shall mourn it

Ghost Captivating by Ghost

A quite pleasant, soft floriental; the fruity notes are not prominent to my nose. l get mainly magnolia, supported by a lot of musk & just a little sandalwood. Unfortunately it has little projection on my skin, & fades fast.

drseid's avatar

Les Déserts d'Orient - Encens Mythique d'Orient by Guerlain

Encens Mythique d'Orient opens with a beautiful neroli note that mixes with an almost boozy aldehyde accord resembling the scent of a fine French orange liquor-like Grand Marnier before giving way early to a strong honeyed frankincense accord spiked with rose. This honeyed frankincense accord must also be hiding some iris in its composition, as the scent turns very powdery and make-up like in the early heart notes before the powder dissipates later in the heart and into the dry-down with the honey retaking the fore. Projection and longevity are both exceptional.

The opening to Encens Mythique d'Orient is delicious smelling and things looked extremely promising early-on. The honeyed frankincense is quite strong, but very pleasant smelling on the whole. My biggest problem with the scent is in the early heart notes where the powdery make-up like iris takes a co-starring role and it can be a bit much. That said, once you get past that powder (although it never quite goes away through the end) the scent is rather captivating and I enjoyed it plenty on the whole. The honey is sweet, but the scent never reaches into the sickeningly sweet zone, instead straddling that fine line rather nicely. I personally think this scent while very unisex and would smell good on anyone, might be a better fit for a woman if I had to pick. That said, I recommend Encens Mythique d'Orient to everyone and award it a very good 3.5 stars out of 5.

Hermèssence Santal Massoïa by Hermès

l get a cool, crisp, green opening of fig along with the woods, & a whisper of vetiver. l can see the comparisons with Santal 33; it is a very similar scent, but here the woods are smoothed-off & polished, rather than rough-hewn straight from the tree. lt quickly becomes a soft & creamy skin scent, with, to my nose, just the barest trace of dry coconut. From here it continues in a quite linear fashion, with the vetiver more apparent after several hours. lt seems others have problems with the longevity, but on me it lasts a good ten hours overall.
    l would say this leans slightly more feminine than Santal 33, & those who find the awesome projection of Santal 33 a little too in-your-face might prefer this one, as a gentler expression of the same idea.

amillimonster's avatar

Michael Jordan by Michael Jordan

Great scent! Great to wear for a sporting event, etc.

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

this perfume is very clean and full of roses. it is very long lasting. i like it very much.

Cabotine by Grès

it is very clean like soap.it is not very feminine at first but it becomes soft and floral in several hours.most people i know doesn't like it but i do.

Envy by Gucci

my perfume choices are different from my mother.but this one is the one we love both. it is soft floral clean and refreshing. it smells like wind on spring. smells so young and tender.