Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

hamd's avatar
    hamd

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

it reminds me of the barber shop which i visited with my dad they used a powder which exactly smelled like this

parfums*PARFUMS Series 1 Leaves: Calamus by Comme des Garçons

As a fan of green scents, I've long wanted to try this. I was deeply disappointed in it.
    It starts with a very leafy and grassy note -- quite intense and more of an experience than an attractive scent per se. Then, and very quickly, it got intensely sweet, cloying, fusty, odd and unpleasant. I don't know what on earth it smelled like but whatever it was, I did not like it at all and had to wash it off.

Iperborea by Lorenzo Villoresi

In Greek mythology, Hyperborea was a distant, exotic land. I'm not sure how that relates to this scent.
    This is a very sweet, apricot/peach scent, with powdery orris root notes and other airy qualities.
    Not at all my style, and I don't even find it particularly attractive.
    Seems like a mis-step from the usually excellent Villoresi house.

Opoponax by Santa Maria Novella

Like Potpourri, SMN Opoponax is truly a scent from another era -- it is powerful and suggests different sensibilities and perspectives. For that reason alone, I admire this scent.
    It is a complex scent: dry, aromatic, very powerful, at times dry in a resinous dark-green manner and at other times somewhat sweet. There are smoky notes reminiscent of Russian Caravan tea, and other dusky notes which suggest celery leaves or old books in a library. The celery-leaf aspect deepens in the dry-down to a hay-like note.
    Quite an experience, and quite beautiful. It takes verve to wear it.

Redbeard's avatar
    Redbeard

Allure Homme by Chanel

This is a very strong combination of fruit and spice, with a moderate amount of wood. It's always struck me as very synthetic, though, and the fruit in the top notes immediately makes me think of Lucky #6 or Soul by Curve, or any other discount store brand fruit fragrance. It's like a candied red apple with some kiwi or other tropical fruit thrown in, plus that all-too-common trace of cherry which always turns me off. Or "eau de everything at the fragrance counter hanging around it in a cloud". Considering how good some of the flankers are, it's a bit of a disappointment for me, though some of their newer, bluer offerings (!) have been pretty lousy. As the sharpness of the fruit recedes a bit (apple fading into strawberry?), it paves the way for more resinous notes and a bit of vanilla, but the mix still stays strong, chemical, and metallic. I also think it gets more powdery as it goes, and even overtly floral in the later stages, which I could definitely do without, and it's not spicy enough at any stage (i.e. never enough spice to counteract the sweetness). What I think kills the fragrance is how over-constructed it is, as if they put so much effort into blending so many intense notes that it just becomes an unrelentingly sweet fruit overload.

rogalal's avatar
    rogalal

Eau de Camélia Chinois by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

For the record, my sample from MPG calls this Eau De Camelia Chinois - I don't know if this is a different formulation or if there was just a name change at some point in the last 15 years...

On me, this is mostly a lightly powdery soap smell. It's got fake plasticky rose mixed with cheap plasticky strawberry and fake plasticky lily, so it's sort of an aquatic fruity floral, but it's thickly surrounded by soapy haze. It would be kind of disappointing, but not terrible if this were all it did, but there's a weird confluence of off-notes that really mess this perfume up. For one, there's a very upfront sharpness that reminds me of bathroom cleaner - it's almost like that nose tickle you get smelling ammonia, but all that soap makes it feel vaguely like a cheaply-scented cleaning product. Then there's a weird bathroom smell. I don't think it's civet - it's more like the smell of a restroom with heavy traffic.

The end result of all of this is the smell of a dirty bathroom that's been ineffectively cleaned with some sort of cheap soapy strawberry rose cleaner. Honestly, I can't imagine who would want to wear this. Fruity floral fans will likely be scared off by the dirt, while skank fiends most likely won't appreciate the cheaply-done fruity floral elements.

andylama's avatar
    andylama

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

First impression: Not actually a sandalwood-prominent fragrance, at least not in the same family as, say, Tam Dao. Actually far more complex and interesting. The sandalwood isn't really front-and-center for the first hour or so, but does eventually unfold in a very pleasant way. Quite similar in overall vibe to Caron's Third Man, albeit less prim/dandified. Add chest hair and topnotes of musky spice and waxiness. A fragrance for a mature man, not so much for the young buck. Like Third Man, it hints at old-fashionedness, without being old-guy-ish.

I definitely get the amber, musk, and spices, and even the incense note, but I do NOT get the coffee reference (at least not in the way I relate to coffee).

As Alfarom said, this is a challenging scent, deep and warm, yet complex and intriguing. Mercifully, not too loud, but also not a 'skin scent'. This is not the kind of scent you want to be a radiance bomb. Part of its charm lies in its restraint.

If you liked Third Man, but find it a bit stuffy, Santal Noble is a more comfortably wearable alternative, albeit at three times the price.

Very good.

MissMagic's avatar
    MissMagic
    Sweden Sweden

Madonna Nudes 1979 by Mypa

This is a perfume you'll either hate or love. For me it's love. And one of my candy-sweet cheap thrills. This one is one of the cheapest perfumes i own. Still it indeed is a 5 stars scent!! It smells like cherry coke tastes. The scent of cherries in liqueur you find in a box of dark chocolate-pralines. Sweet surupy dark-red cherries drenched in sweet strong liqueur. Strong in every way. Massive lastingpower & sillage. Notes: Cherry, cherry & cherry in sweet liqueur, bergamot, tangerine, orange, lemon, green jasmine, boozy plum, patchouli, iris, sandalwood, white musk, cedar, vetiver. (concentration: EDP)

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Helmut Lang Men by Helmut Lang

Helmut Lang edc opens with a combination of floral lavender and powdery heliotrope which remains throughout. The floral aspects couple with a very light and easy to wear musk that is not really animallic at all. Hints of jasmine, patchouli and sandalwood in the base add just a very small amount of sweetness to the scent. Projection is average and longevity is above average (and quite long for an edc).

Helmut Lang edc's scent immediately reminds me of a cross between baby powder and Johnson's baby oil. This is not really a bad smell, but the very fresh powdery/oily nature while eminently wearable is quite linear and more than a bit of a letdown for me after experiencing the great heights of the suede leather king Cuiron from the same brand. I feel Helmut Lang edc is certainly inoffensive enough for just about anyone to wear (and very unisex), but if I want to smell like baby powder or baby oil they can both be acquired for far less cost than the relatively lofty prices Helmut Lang edc is going for on eBay nowadays due to its discontinuance. I can't really give this a thumbs down as it is pleasant enough, but I definitely do not recommend a buy and it is not my cup of tea at all. I give Helmut Lang edc a very average 2.5 stars out of 5 for the scent, but much lower on the value scale.

danny1967's avatar
    danny1967

Aventus by Creed

pineapple & fruits (nothing 'specific' that comes to mind, just fruit, similar to the reaction that i have when drinking a 'tropical' cocktail of juices, think tropicana, combination of various tropical juices) with a hint of vanilla. that's it. have i mentioned the pineaple?
    after 30min it dries down into a generic, fruity, ambery vanillic fragrance, similar to tens if not hundreds of high street fragrances. the only difference? the exorbitant price tag that you have to pay because the name creed is attached to it.
    no, no, no, a thousand times no. will not give in to the hype and pay close to £200 for something that smells like pineapple. try it first, ask for samples, buy samples of it off ebay and wear it as many times as humanly possible, and then, only then, if you are convinced is worth the price tag go buy it.
    oh, and i keep forgetting to say the most important thing, it smells like pineapple. i don't think i've mentioned it before.

Redbeard's avatar
    Redbeard

Bois de Filao by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Starts out as a weak, green wood scent with a warm spicy edge, very gingery, with a somewhat otherwordly transparency. Soon both the green notes and the spice start to dissipate, leaving just a sweet exotic wood scent, slightly smoky, which is refreshingly minimalist but unfortunately stays weak. There's a definite spice component remaining, but it doesn't stand out as one obviously identifiable spice. I don't think there's any vanilla, thankfully, though there's a bit of that medicinal edge of an oud, or of certain sandalwoods. This stuff is really nice, and it would be a thumbs-up if it were stronger. By the end, though, it decays further toward just being a trace of dustiness. Too bad. And I agree with the last review that it is unisex but leaning masculine.

EDIT: The above is for an older vial that I once had. The newer vial that I got subsequently had a very different smell, much more floral and feminine.

26 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2014)

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Musc by Bruno Acampora

Yes, if you love the untamed, dramatic muscs any choice could be better of Bruno Acampora Musc. The most "muskey" musc i've tried, an almost agreeable and edible musc, something you wish to bite, chew and swallow despite its normal (normal for whichever musc around) powdery-laundry-green cloudy vibe. I've tested also the pure essence and it's an "ultra-sensorial experience, the best musky journey you can dare to do, something different, oily, camphoraceous, mouldy and green. There is a certain radiance in its powderiness, a soapy-floral "nursery kind" of fragrance and something arcane that reminds the childhood, the talc, the soap, the baby clean skin's aroma (but also the closed rooms, the mouldy cellars, the artisanal soaps, the "interior" of the ancient amphoras. This type of complex soapiness does not subdue anyway the floral sophistication of the juice aroused by a sort of "english style" clean rose-violet combo (a bit aqueous and toiletries type). The presence of tasty spices and soft balsams provides some ostensibly milky (and "nectar" type of) softness mixed with a woody and slightly resinous sort of white dust. The projection is really impressive in order to be enjoyed by the lovers of the perfumed long wakes. A very nice sensual and complex rosey-soapy musk.

26 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 18 April, 2014)

JTaylor's avatar
    JTaylor

Ambre by Côté Bastide

I have never encountered this product as a cologne. I first encountered Cote Bastide Ambre in a floral and gift shop in Carmel, California probably 8 to 10 years ago. It was the most intoxicating scent I had ever experienced and I had to buy it. I'm more of a visual and aural person except for food aromas. It's very seldom that a fragrance will lure me in. To date it is still my all time favorite room scent. I buy it in essential oil form. I was looking for some online just now which is how I happened upon the above review by accident. If you ever chance upon it, buy it!

bFlay's avatar
    bFlay

Pour Un Homme by Caron

An amazingly bright Citrus and lavendar opening that mellows to a surprisingly masculine vanilla and rose base. The lavendar ocassionally pops back up during wear, but this is definitely the sophisticated man's inexpensive go-to fragrance. Does break down and diminish far too quickly - less than 5 hours on both skin and clothes. Still a worthy addition to wardrobe suitable for day and night.

Elzéard's avatar
    Elzéard

Lavandula by Penhaligon's

A very natural representation of lavender. I don't think I would ever commit to buying this, but should a desire for lavender beckon, I couldn't imagine this fragrance being anything but entirely satisfying.

MysteryBuff40's avatar
    MysteryBuff40

Versace pour Homme by Versace

If you would like to smell like a chemical cleaning product, you have found your holy grail.

msi_21's avatar
    msi_21
    Iran Iran

Gucci Guilty pour Homme by Gucci

Citrus and Lavender in the top with Patchouli and Cedar in the base. The rest of the notes support the whole composition which provides a well blended and pleasant scent. It's more of a fresh scent which can be called 'cold.'

To be honest I expected a lot more! This is a nice and pleasant scent for sure, but frankly it smells like what a generic scent should have smelled in early 2000s! I can even tell you that it reminds me [vaguely] of Boss Motion line!

Since I enjoyed its smell while trying it, I gave it a thumbs up. Good longevity and projection. Overall: 7 out of 10.

dougczar's avatar
    dougczar

Agarwoud by Heeley

I find this to be one of the best oud / rose combinations. Unlike many oud scents, this one doesn't smell like a barnyard. This seems to be a sport flanker of those deeper oud fragrances. It's a champagne-like oud / rose. Bubbly and light. An oud for the summertime. Inoffensive and clean. One of the best oud fragran... No, one of the best fragrances I have smelled. They want a lot for this, but I will give it to them gladly.

tourmaline's avatar
    tourmaline

Interlude by Frances Denney

I am really mystified by this fragrance. It is an oriental, but that moniker does not really describe it well or do it justice. Although the deeper oriental basenotes of resins and musk are clearly there, the fragrance is given a very distinct personality by its gorgeously smooth floral/citrus notes. The unique harmony of rose and soft citrus create a very beautiful and original impression, belying its categorization as simply an "oriental". There is almost a chypre effect here, like dried flowers with moss. This is a really special fragrance, I think it's unfortunate that Interlude is not more widely known. I *never* see this one mentioned on perfume message boards, which is just weird as it was very popular back in its heyday of the 60s and 70s. And with good reason. To my nose it's nothing like Youth Dew, Tabu, or other more typically heavy orientals. Interlude is floral/citrusy, chypric, autumnal, with a subtle oriental base. Very gorgeous.

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

Boss Pure by Hugo Boss

Faceless, metallic, repulsively cold and sour. I can't imagine a person that'd be drawn to it.

Projection and longevity are ok, but who cares as I really wouldn't want to smell like this for too long...at all actually.

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

Mauboussin Homme by Mauboussin

As usual I avoided the top notes as much as possible. Without much of them, this begins like Third Man (the newest formulation). Over time, it becomes more like the Gucci Envy for Men crowd (which includes Carven Homme, ST Dupont Signature Pour Homme, L'Occitane's Vetyver, and probably several others I haven't tried), with a touch of Blv Notte Pour Homme, over time. Ingredient quality seems decent, though not at the niche level. I'll likely try it again during cold weather. Longevity and projection ("sillage") seemed very good with minimal application. Note separation and originality are below par; complexity and dynamism are reasonable but don't inspire. Current prices are low so this may be a good substitute for those who like Third Man and Envy but don't want to buy both.

Balvon's avatar
    Balvon
    Lithuania Lithuania

Amazingreen by Comme des Garçons

Weak, simple bad...a misunderstanding, not Comme Des Gasrcons

muskydusky's avatar
    muskydusky

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Aquatic, citrusy woodsy. Basically the epitome of citrusy aquatic. VERY 90s, almost like a time machine in a bottle. Aqua smells like a superior, much less synthetic version of Calvin Klein's Escape for men. I always received compliments when I wore that, and this smells better, so thumbs up.

Fabio Luisi's avatar
    Fabio Luisi

Mahon Leather by Floris

Great old style leather, dark, bitter.

shamu1's avatar
    shamu1

Animagical Man by Puma

Totally boring, lame-o sport fragrance, like a million others. I bought this because I'd heard there's a strong basil note in it. Forget it. It's eviscerated by sour , shrill synthetic citrus notes that scream like a banshee for hours. Everything else is piled on top of boring synthetic cedar.

I can't say this is totally terrible, but I can say it's a complete waste of money.

MY RATING: 4/10

Amos Jolthead's avatar
    Amos Jolthead

Golden Boy by Dueto Parfums

On first blast, I instantly notice the suede and leather notes. The opening note is very powerful and intense, reminds me of Keiko Mecheri’s A Fleur de Peau's opening note – an opening note that is a bit rabid, coarse and masculine with leather. After a few minutes, the saffron and violet leaf become cognizable. I notice the leather, suede, and incense mix all throughout this fragrance.

I really don’t get many of the other middle notes than the leather, although I fear this is due to my inexperience rather than any problem with the fragrance.

After a few hours, the vanilla comes creeping through in the base notes. A pleasing touch for the conclusion of GB.

I really enjoyed this sample, yet I cannot find any online retailers that sell this, so I am unaware of what the price would be for a full bottle.

drseid's avatar
    drseid

X for Men by Clive Christian

X for Men goes on with a splash of bergamot and orris before transitioning to an absolutely heavenly combination of cinnamon, pink pepper, jasmine and ginger with hints of cardamom, amber and vanilla. Primary base notes of oakmoss and cedar ground the slightly sweet but mainly spicy heart with just the right amount of woody and mildly mossy balance as they peep into the background early before growing in strength late. Projection and longevity are average to above average.

X for Men is an absolutely incredible stunner of a scent from start to finish. The cinnamon, pepper, jasmine and ginger combination that is the primary accord at its heart is absolutely awe inspiring. It is perfectly balanced in its sweetness with the spice, and extremely easy for just about anyone (male or female) to feel super-confident wearing it. The woody/mossy base just compliments the spicy sweetness brilliantly and is the ideal foundation for the scent. As an aside, I was really hoping I could pan X for Men (the first scent I have smelled from the house) as I can't stand the overly ostentatious marketing Clive Christian employs, but I guess if you are going to rub your ridiculously lofty prices in people's faces you better darn well deliver the goods and at least with respect to X for Men, Clive Christian (and Geza Schoen) definitely do. This one is a masterpiece and easily is deserving of its 4.5+ star out of 5 rating (and just maybe even its relatively lofty price tag as well).

27 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 07 August, 2012)

anglomania's avatar
    anglomania

Black Aoud by Montale

I so wanted to love this fragrance and couldn't wait to get my hands on some. I'd read all the reviews and knew what to expect - the initial medicinal/band-aid blast - check (it lasted about 5 minutes) then came the synthetic rose fast on its heels (it actually smells like some very, very cheap toilet cleaner). After roughly one hour this rose fragrance died away and i was left with - well i don't exactly know what it was - it didn't smell bad, it didn't smell good it was just there - but very, very subtle. I'd read about the monster sillage and projection, i'd had two good squirts - but nothing after two hours the smell had completely disappeared.

Not to to deterred, the next day before work I gave myself 3 blasts - started the same - band-aid, rose for one hour then fade. Next - nothing, nobody commented, said they could smell anything - eventually two hours after applying it, I asked a few of my co-workers if they could smell anything - a few said they could vaguely smell something very subtle and some said they could smell nothing.

Whats going on?! I so wanted to love this, but unfortunately I can't - It's expensive and for the result's im getting, i might as well have bought some cheap air freshener - it might have lasted longer

Sun-and-water's avatar
    Sun-and-water
    Brazil Brazil

Calanques Mediterranean Inlets by L'Occitane

It is a pity it has been discontinued. I really loved it and had my salesperson at L'Occitane in Rio de Janeiro gather the last 3 bottles he could find. But they were too soon over. It is really the smell of the ocean in a sunny day. Never found anything like that again. What can I say besides that? I smells fresh and pure, but has almost no staying power. Nevertheless, I would have bought a bottle per month, were they available. My daughter loved it too. Everybody liked it.
    People at the Frech L'Occitane site told me they will not re-edit it because they intend to keep the public's interest by offering new fragrances now and then. I guess it is - differences respected - the same thing that happened to Paramount when they decided to discontinue the original Star Trek series : when they found out what was the segment Star Trek's fans belonged to - science community people - it was too late. Maybe L'Occitane did realize a lot of people would go on wearing this fragrance for years if they gave it a longer try. They should have waited some more before discontinueing it. Real shame !

Sun-and-water's avatar
    Sun-and-water
    Brazil Brazil

cK one Summer 2005 by Calvin Klein

Really did not like it. It has that awful "masculine scent" that makes me feel women are luckier when it comes to perfume. I intended to have a burbly summery citrusy fragrance, light and sparkly, but what I got resembled that general after-shave harshness. And it LASTS. I cannot describe it in any other way. Sometimes I spray it at my office but then I feel a touch of bathroom cleaner. Maybe men could enjoy it. Not me. So, thumbs down.