Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

Sun-and-water's avatar

Brazil Brazil

cK one Summer 2005 by Calvin Klein

Really did not like it. It has that awful "masculine scent" that makes me feel women are luckier when it comes to perfume. I intended to have a burbly summery citrusy fragrance, light and sparkly, but what I got resembled that general after-shave harshness. And it LASTS. I cannot describe it in any other way. Sometimes I spray it at my office but then I feel a touch of bathroom cleaner. Maybe men could enjoy it. Not me. So, thumbs down.

L'Essence de Cerutti by Cerruti

Wasn't taken initially with this fragrance, but the more I wore it the more I liked it. I get 3 notes that really stand out to me. Those 3 are bergamot, leather, and musk. The opening isn't a thing of beauty and probably the worst part of the fragrance. During the heart and dry down is where this fragrance starts to shine. The sweetness gets toned down and you can really start to smell the leather and musk. There is a bit of the pepper that holds on, but it's very subtle. This is a really nice masculine fragrance that has a bit of old school and some modern elements which make it enjoyable to wear.

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

Completely masculine and not for those that don't like rich or dense fragrances. There's a lot going on in Michael, but what I primarily smell is pipe tobacco, suede, plum, and the dried fruits. What all these notes smell like when put together is a boozy plum liquor drink setting on a suede card table with one of the players smoking a tobacco pipe. Every time I wear this I think of this image. If there was a fragrance for gambling or a fun night out on the town this is it. Great fragrance!

Ed Hardy Man by Christian Audigier

There's not much to this fragrance except a healthy dose of Clary Sage. It stands out like a sore thumb and just overwhelms it. What's left is your run of the mill spicy/woody fragrance that doesn't project or last. Something similar, but much better would be Ferragamo F Black.

dougczar's avatar

Weekend for Men by Burberry

Lemon covered grapefruit. I pick up the oakmoss and sandalwood in the drydown, but this is all about the lemon and grapefruit fighting for attention for much of its short life.

While this is a wonderfully bright and fresh citrus fragrance, it does have some drawbacks. The opening is a little sharp, and the longevity is horrid. If you have 4711, then you don't need this one. This actually reminds me a little of Creed Original Cologne for the first 30 minutes (albiet much less refined than the Creed).

So, while Burberry Weekend is nowhere near perfect, it is a great pickup for the price, and a very enjoyable wear for the warm summer months.

rynegne's avatar

Bois des Îles by Chanel

Wow is all I have to say about Bois des Iles. This was my first nice blind buy and I was quite worried it'd smell too feminine. To start BDI comes off with a hard punch of Chanel aldehydes and spiced floral, which had me a bit worried. The smell between the top and middle notes reminded me of the smell of my Grandmother's Chanel lipstick back in the day. When the top wafted away the sandalwood and light woods shined though. My girlfriend told me I smelled good, not Aqua Di Gio good...a you smell you like you have money good. You smell like a doctor or lawyer she stated. I've never sniffed Egoiste but I'm guessing that's what she was smelling at this point based on reviews. A more refined exclusive version of course. Overall, this turned out to be a great fragrance. I look forward to hearing more feedback from others that smell it on myself. Also, for those with longevity issues..I've noticed this doesn't stick long on my skin. However, the portion that was sprayed on my shirt lasted about 7 hours.

's avatar

Invigorating by Boadicea the Victorious

Beer, musk, pine, cleaning liquid and jasmin. Really odd, dark, dense and amazing. Like a laboratory accident gone right. Makes me wanna cough a little. I want it bad. It's like a less refined and less sweet version of Cuir Venenum. Very unique. I guess I got tired of smelling nice and fresh, and this one is everything but fresh, nice and polite. Lasts a long time and stays close to the skin which is fine with me.

Elzéard's avatar

Bang by Marc Jacobs

This novel and brave dose of pepper soon becomes a very in your face dose of pepper, and then it just won't leave you alone. Longevity is exceptional on my skin.

Kymtje's avatar

Bandit by Robert Piguet

Initial leather and woodsyness is quite lovely but the carnation dry down is oddly rubbery on me. Disappointing.

Pour Un Homme by Caron

An impressive classic fragrance in an elegant bottle... not too overpowering... simple but sophisticated. The opening is a fresh lavender with a minute hint of musk. After 10 minutes or so, the lavender fades in to the background and sweet vanilla calmly emerges. 20 minutes later... CPUH settles for good with a perfect balance of vanilla and lavender. A nice bright, breezy buzz! This fragrance is amazing and has become a 'go to' favourite.

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Simply amazing. Reminiscent of the noble hunters on horseback, the eccentric from a gentry background, an old French drawing room with oak panelled walls and gold-framed oil paintings, decanter whisky and aged cigars, leather Chesterfield chairs and rosewood tables... floral arrangements on the tables. Perfect for a gentleman.

's avatar

Une Zeste de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

Extremely natural smelling. Even more natural than any of the L'Artisans. I smell rahat lokum, tea, very few citrus notes and all kinds of wet, fresh, rich, opulent roses. This is my favorite scent from the house of Les Parfums de Rosine. Surprisingly long lasting. I have found a rose centered fragrance that is just right for me and it was about time. I tried so many rose based scents... Une Zeste is incomparable.

Foustie's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Exultat by Maria Candida Gentile

Citrus to begin, but an unusual treatment of citrus, not sharp, or clear, but softly clouded, and a little woody. Petitgrain, joined by vetiver and peppery incense. If I say that Exultat is powdery I will have to explain that it is not powdery in the usual sense, rather it has a quality a bit like steamed fragrant rice, but drier. A fragrant cloud.

The notes are listed as;
    Top; Somalian Incense, Sicilian Orange, Bitter Orange, Lime
    Heart; Violet and Violet Leaf
    Base; "Legni Preciosi", Haiti Vetiver, Texas Cedar

Don't expect Toulouse Volets or Parma Violets. The Violet is not dominant for me, although I see that it is for some others. What I do detect throughout is a beautifully aromatic quality. I wonder if that is the contribution of the violets and the violet leaf, in concert with the peppery incense, the vetiver and of course the cedar when it arrives.

Briefly, in my view, a woody, soft, citrus/frankincense/vetiver/cedar with an ethereal aromatic quality. Very arresting, spellbinding. At once classical but yet very modern. Not at all typical of the naturals school. Incredibly beautiful. Sillage and longevity are good.

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Limon de Cordoza by Different Company

Limon di Cordoza is " the traditional mens cologne" entry of the L'esprit Cologne series from The Different Company. Clean, green and bright citrus notes open and are followed by gentle mint and very dry musky soft wood base. Strange because there is no musk or cumin in the notes, but it has a warm musk odor of ripening orange peel blended with the green citrus and mint. At various points Limon di Cordoza reminds me of Hermes Orange Verte and also F Malle Cologne Bigarrade. The stated notes are: Bitter orange, mandarin zest, mint leaves, neroli, freesia, patchouli, vetiver, guaiac wood. This is a potent cologne that is clean, soft and quite lasting. The world needs a new cologne especially when it is of this pleasantly refreshing and uplifting quality.

Foustie's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Sideris by Maria Candida Gentile

When I first tried Sideris I was really puzzled. It appeared to be so similar to Exultat that I wondered why there would be two fragrances which were so closely related in the Maria Candida Gentile collection. But there is something different in the heart of Sideris.

The (published) notes;

Incense, Cystus, Myrrh, White Pepper, Saffron
    Turkish Rose, Ayrshire Rose Splendens
    Sandalwood, Benzoin, Waxed Woods

What an incredible collection of materials.

There is a definate relationship between Sideris and Exultat, a definate signature. It is the dry steam, vapourous, ethereal quality. It seems to me that it is something to do with Maria Candida's treatment of the frankincense, which they are both built around. In each fragrance the frankincense is very present but transformed somehow. In Exultat by Violet Leaf and Vetiver. In Sideris by pepper (white pepper), rose, saffron and myrrh.

Where Sideris differs from Exultat is that the heart of Sideris is rose, a slightly spicy rose. White pepper also wields a powerful influence, and the rose and pepper accord, with the frankincense, safrron and myrrh, is stunning. The drydown impresses me as a creamy, not too sweet, vanilla and benzoin, which retains some spice. Sandalwood is listed too but it is not apparent to me.

Sideris wears well and has a beautiful trail. In short it is a beautiful peppery incense rose with a soft vanilla/benzoin drydown. Again, as with Exultat, Sideris strikes me as a very contemporary fragrance which may also suit those who prefer a more classical feel to their fragrance.

impdaddee's avatar

A Taste of Heaven by By Kilian

Chilly, green lavender at the beginning, transmuting into warmer lavender throughout, and a cozy amber warming it all. So, so lovely, yet so, so not me.

MrB-bank's avatar

Pink Aftershave by D.R. Harris & co.

I find this aftershave to be an excellent choice for the days I want a neutral scent, which is most days for me. Some days also I like to where a cologne, Its also very nice not to have to worry about fragrance matching. Before I found this, I would use pure witch hazel, didn't do anything for my skin though. I switched to DR Pink, I very much enjoyed the change. I believe there is glycerin in the mix which helps with moisture. The rose scent is enjoyable when I put it on, but honestly I'm not interested in wearing a rose scent all day anyway. unless its Valentines day i guess.

All in all, this is one that I have actually purchased more than 1 bottle of.

I don't have too many of those. Only the nice light scent of Proraso.

By the way... I use exclusively AS Lotions, I don't get into the balms.

odysseusm's avatar

Vétiver Vert by Czech & Speake

I'm neutral on this. It is not a bad scent, not significantly problematic in any way. My reservations are two-fold: it is not as green as a scent called "Vert" should be, and I find the balsamic note to be a bit too sweet and heavy for my taste.
    All the layers appear at the outset, a surprising development. Smoke from the vetiver, balsamic notes from the dusky laurel and galbanum, and sweet notes from the sandalwood show themselves, along with the citrus.
    Things sort themselves out after this overture. The citrus retreats, and a dusky bay leaf note remains. This is quite good. The scent gets a bit heavier and sweeter, and takes on a balsamic quality. At times, the scent has the character of an old metal ashtray, with its smoky and metallic notes. As the balsamic note settles, a grassier note emerges from the vetiver. This is really a freshly-cut sort of grass, and it too is pleasant. The drydown is sweet and woody, from the sandalwood.
    Thus, I like some of the notes but not all, and the rich heaviness of the balsamic style doesn't quite suit me. But, as I said, it is a good scent and some will like it.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie

Sienne L'Hiver pursues a graceful arc from briny leather, to Perrier-can iris, and descends many hours later on a wan violet leaf. With much aplomb the scent offers up a distinctive olive note – reminiscent not, thankfully, of anchoïade so much as a very dirty Martini. And while it's comparable to Dzongkha (L'artisan Parfumeur), another parched iris of Bertrand Duchaufour's from 2006, Sienne is cooler and more apparitional. But it is Duchaufour's earlier Timbuktu, with its smokey paper note and subliminal radiance, where the real similarity – of temperament – is to be found.

This is original, peculiar, captivating stuff. Now I just have to figure out how to wear it.

Bijan for Men by Bijan

Bijan for Men is wonderful! A great masculine fragrance. When this 1980s legend is applied it starts off as a citrus and sandalwood scent. After an hour a pleasant asphalt-like note takes over, dulling the fresh citrus and fine sandalwood balance. Quite a remarkable fragrance in an interesting round bottle. Nice to wear in the summer and lasts all day. Classy and casual in one!

CardaGiorgio's avatar

Spain Spain

Cool Water by Davidoff

This is one of my favourite fresh fragrances. Despite of the fever of "sport" fragrances that we live nowadays, some classics like Cool Water still remains in the top. In this rank of prices I think almost nobody offers a fragrance with the originality of this.

sin_is_in's avatar

Germany Germany

Iris de Nuit by Heeley

If only there were more carrot and herbal notes in here! Basically a dry iris with lots of synthetic and a touch of aquatic notes. Ultimately it's not refreshing, smells cheap and gives me a headache.

odysseusm's avatar

Peoneve by Penhaligon's

This is a gorgeous floral. The opulent flowers are deep but not overwhelming, and are brightened by violet leaf. Peony and rose are very similar (to my nose) and they certainly work well in concert here. The flowers are well done and have considerable longevity.
    After a while, the vetiver and musk join the flowers, and compliment them. The grassy vetiver in particular suits the rose note. This is a BIG floral cloud, creamy and dreamy. It is not a dark, brooding rose -- and thus perhaps will be of more interest to women than men.

drseid's avatar

Cozé 02 by Parfumerie Generale

Coze gets right down to business on skin with a huge burst of patchouli emerging all the way from the base; soon joining a delicious semi-sweet dark chocolate and pimento almost clove-like spice primary heart notes that arrives quite early in the scent's development. Underneath the patchouli, dark chocolate and pimento trio lies a subtle ebony wood and mild coffee undertone combining with just the smallest amount of sandalwood and tobacco smoke from the base to round out the primary detectable notes. Longevity is average and projection above average.

Coze is really a great smelling fragrance. The patchouli, chocolate and all-spice combination is really exceptionally executed here by Guillaume. Also notable is the ebony and coffee that plays support but is just present enough in the background to add a differentiating feature to the primary notes at the fore. The scent overall is relatively sweet, but the sweetness never becomes cloying or distracting. As far as development goes, the scent is fairly linear revealing its true nature early and holding there. The bottom line is Coze is a very well-done composition that is highly recommended earning an excellent rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

rynegne's avatar

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Wow is all I have to say. This fragrance is magnificent, I wouldn't consider Sycomore a female fragrance by any means. I'm not sure as to why this isn't promoted under the Chanel pour homme products, I guess they're like to keep it a hidden gem amongst the Exlusifs line.

Imagine a cypress forest that was stuck by lightning. A small fire sets in a small portion of the forest. Where the ash of the slightly burnt trees lies is new grass and vegetation that's begun to grow in the now slightly damp forest. This smell wafts though the forest from miles away and finds your nose.

Great longevity and amazing woody frag..very light smoky hint with a very very clean crisp vetiver. No dirty quality here. I guess what surprised me most about this scent is the versatility. I wore it to the pool today and got a few compliments. The dry down is slightly similar to Bleu de Chanel, has anyone else detected that?

scentpacking's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

i had a sample of this for many months - tried it once and thought -meh! it lay in a drawer and i opened it back and forth for a sniff -still meh! it began to work on me and slowly but surely i gave in and bought a bottle. wore it regularly for a few weeks and then decided to sell it as i still wasnt sure about the scent. the other day i found an atomiser id used which still had a tiny drop of lddm in it .i spayed it and though "why the bloody hell did i sell this ?" upshot is, ive now sent off for another bottle .....and it cant arrive quick enough!!!!

kuanyin4's avatar

Intoxication by D'Orsay

I received this with some others, it was a very old bottle with brown resin (mmmm....) at the bottom, not very much. Unfortunately, it leaked into the plastic baggy it was packed in. I thought it smelled heavenly. My husband pronounced it urinal cake. So I just left the baggy open slightly and put it in the bathroom to scent the air! It finally lost that ability, so today after my shower I put the few remaining drops on. I had been feeling not so good, had a different perfume give me a wowzer headache in the morning, but felt better after my shower. I find resinous goopy vintages very comforting, and this proved so. I looked up the notes elsewhere, but I see Tessara did a good job of listing them. I can see how my syrup had those beginnings, because as thick as it is, it is still a beautiful light fragrance. The ampule Tessara had would be so much truer to the original scent, and I would not have guessed L'Aimant, but sandalwood, you bet. I LOVE sandalwood. I think if you love vintages, you could successfully try it whether it is light or dark. Oh, and hubby quite liked it on me!

28 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 30th July, 2012)

Sun-and-water's avatar

Brazil Brazil

English Rose by Yardley

Very nice rose fragrance. Nothing absolutely nothing wrong with it. Truly rose. A very good quality that is not expensive. I must spread it lightly because it has good lasting power and sillage. Fresh and with a touch of apple to it. Has the interesting effect that if increases my heart rate (don't ask me why) at lot, and that is the only reason why I do not wear it more often. I think it is classy and clean. I like to wear it when reading my gipsy cards (which I do only for friends and family, never professionaly) because it adds to the vibe I get from the cards.
    Adding to this review even before it was published: I think this fragrance has changed and not for better, because I have just bought the set of 3 soap bars of the same fragrance and am most disapointed because they simply smell of NOTHING. It is not the same soap and probably they did the same to the edt too. The wonderful fragrance is gone, completely gone. What were people at Yardley's thinking when they mutilated this frangrance? The soap bar is not worth the price I paid (circa 30 usd for 3 bars). I can find nicer soap bars now at any drugstore for less than 1.5 usd. What a shame!

28 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 August, 2012)

skyhawk182's avatar

At The Beach 1966 by CB I Hate Perfume

I've been on a quest for quite some time to find a scent that was reminiscent of those warm, care free and sensual days of the beach. And yes, for me, that would include the scent of sun tan lotion. Very distinct one that just stimulates the mind whenever you smell it. If you're not a beach type, this probably sounds insane, if you are that type, then you KNOW what I'm taking about here.

Never seemed to find the right combination, and can tell you, coconut, fruit and rum just doesn't cut it. That lotion scent, however it is achieved, is a key component. Even went so far as to spritz on the now discontinued, light spray pump version of Coppertone - which actually works pretty well:)

Beach 1966 is AMAZING. It has reviewed well, so thought I would give it a try and bot the 100ml water version and crossed my fingers. Feared that it would smell WAY to much like a chemical, or that it was all a lie and would be just another sweet/fruity scent with a Beachy name.

It indeed captures the idea. Just a nice hint of the lotion, combined with scents of sand and marine. Very unisex in that it has a pleasant softer quality as well. A winner here!

$80 is not big deal for Beach 1966, for the 100ml will last for a very long time. And for those wanting their own sense of style and statement, it's pretty unique in that is appears to be available almost exclusively from CB and is a pretty well kept secret - one has to do some serious searching on the web just to find it!

28 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 05 August, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Wild Musk by Coty

A radiant, feminine, bit vintage floral musk with patterns of bergamot, orange and  amber-vanilla in the dry down. The juice is tenacious, sensual and finally warm and comforting with some rosey and baby powder (and so corporeal, for many dirty) kind of accents.  A really decent and attractive cheap fragrance unfortunately a bit hard to find nowadays.

28 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th February, 2013)