Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

Darvant's avatar

Wild Musk by Coty

A radiant, feminine, bit vintage floral musk with patterns of bergamot, orange and  amber-vanilla in the dry down. The juice is tenacious, sensual and finally warm and comforting with some rosey and baby powder (and so corporeal, for many dirty) kind of accents.  A really decent and attractive cheap fragrance unfortunately a bit hard to find nowadays.

28 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th February, 2013)

Amos Jolthead's avatar

City Love by Dueto Parfums

Very nice fragrance. I smell above all the oud and patchouli. It is the heart of the fragrance and both are the strongest notes throughout. The violet and rose cling on to these notes throughout the fragrance. It's a thick scent, probably better suited for colder weather and and night. Longevity is also really good with every Dueto fragrance I've sampled. Definite thumbs up.

Possum-Pie's avatar

Harrods Oud Patchouli by Bond No. 9

You will smell like the three wise men, but will pay your bag of gold to get it!

drseid's avatar

Oud by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Oud immediately opens with the apparent star making itself known before anything else. This is not the semi-animallic smelling woody oud you might expect, but rather a watery, rubbery oud that is rather tame, synthetic and pleasant smelling. The oud remains into the heart, now pairing with the *real* star of the scent, saffron, which pairs up with the oud for the duration and even dominates to a small degree it as time goes on. The minimalist concoction uses patchouli as a supporting note to sweeten the composition just a hair with it too being a more "cleansed" patchouli and not the dirty variety frequently used. Projection and longevity are both excellent.

Oud is a good scent, but I must admit to being a bit disappointed considering its pedigree. Kurkdjian is way late to the oud party and as such considering his vast talent I expected something extraordinary here... and did not get it. Instead, Oud ends up being a pleasant smelling polished Western oud concoction that really is more about the saffron than the oud on skin to my nose. It is linear in nature and while I find it hard to fault the composition it lacks passion and is just another sterile entry on the long since departed oud gravy train. Maybe that is a bit harsh criticism for a scent that I am awarding a very good 3.5 stars out of 5, but I expected so much more from such a late entrant to the field from a super-talented nose like Kurkdjian. This one is worth a sniff, but at $300 for a 70ml bottle there are much better choices to be had for less money elsewhere.

Intimate by Revlon

I have an old sample obviously. The first spray is waxy crayon-aldehydes and old school floral symphonics. Very quickly it dries down into a honey pollen mimosa sweet skin. Not in the modern style (no cotton candy high notes), mostly lingering honey. It's pretty simple, hence my neutral rating. I prefer dark and complex structures.

Filigree by Thymes

I bought this as it was fairly inexpensive and reminded of a long lost favourite from Aveda. To my mind it had some hidden element that was mysteriously woodsy. The website hints that these are the notes: amber, juniper berry, cedarwood, neroli, spearmint, lavender, ginger and clove. I must save that none of these is evident or distinct. Maybe if forced I would say a light wash of lavender over a generic amber?
    This perfume is a light, pretty plasticy (not necessarily negative) amber that whispers and offers shy glances. Clean and pretty.

fit&frag'd's avatar

Illicit by Billy Jealousy

Wow, looks like I'm the first to review this in 3 years. I think it's safe to say it is NOT a very mainstream frag. While I can see why, with a market flooded with many similar scents, it's lack of advertising and shelf space in brick & mortar stores, and it's relative higher price tag, I still think it lacks some of the attention it likely deserves. Illicit opens up beautifully, with a bright, fresh and natural citrus blend. I often have to fight the urge to over-spray this, simply for the opening alone. Within a couple of minutes, it transitions to a somewhat green & spicy middle with it's ivy and ginger notes. I've grown to enjoy the unique blend of this stage quite a bit as well. It's not overdone and imo, is what truly makes Illicit a unique and intriguing scent.

Things cool down considerably as it reaches it's base, where the wood and tea notes tame down the spice, retreating it to a fresh, clean, calmer, slightly sweet (but not overly so at all) and softer scent. While Illicit does have a bit of fresh and youthful vibe to it, it has enough character and kick to it for almost anyone to pull it off. It's blend also lends itself to good versatility. I've used it at the office and a wide variety of casual occasions. For an EDP, I don't feel I get the projection I'd hoped for, but with 3-5 sprays it's more than adequate for most situations and longevity as a skin scent has been pretty good. Overall, I enjoy my bottle of Illicit and use it fairly often.

's avatar

Io Capri by Carthusia

My no 1 scent of all time and I am ever so glad it's not that popular. It's simple and quirky, but very well-blended and incredibly long lasting. Tart and milky at the same time: sounds bad, but it's amazing actually. It does taste like figs. I prefer 'profumo' concentration, although EdT is also quite sumptuous and lasts for ages. Works very well with my skin. My skin loves it and the most important thing is that it feels completely natural. The fig note is more prominent during summer, whereas all those subtle notes - such as mint, tea and citruses - stay longer during colder and less humid days. Carthusia is a topnotch brand. Ligea ('La Sirena') is also phenomenal.

's avatar

Fracas by Robert Piguet

I am very lucky to own this scent. It is an honour to wear it. I've used Fracas for years and it still manages to surprise me every time. Sometimes I even smell hints of coffee and coconut. The moment I spray it I feel an incredible sense of tranquility and sereneness. I close my eyes and think of white linen shirts, white flowers, white houses in Santorini, light, unlimited vacation, unlimited budget, going back in time, getting younger...

msi_21's avatar

Iran Iran

Jade by Olivier Durbano

It has a green smoky scent. I'm not sure if it can be affiliated with Jade, but it's deep and dark smell certainly illustrates a mysterious image...something possibly related to absolute power!

In the world of perfumes, it is reminiscent of Esencia pour Homme by Loewe to me. Although this one is more modern, Esencia smells better.

Had good longevity and projection. Overall: 7 out of 10.

Volafox's avatar

Halloween Water Lily by J del Pozo

I only give it neutral because I just purchased it. This fragrance is light, which in humid Texas summer means that you won't choke on the fumes, nor will those around you. How it will hold up to cooler temps is still up in the air for me. Hopefully by then though I will have discovered something else to take its place.

hreple's avatar

Back to Black by By Kilian

Oh hello there sly niche that I didn't really pick up before I had sampled it several times and was equally fascinated each time.

This is probably the most extreme powerhouse I've ever sampled.

That tobacco and honey firework hit you straight away as you apply, but it's the way it transform into something more spicy, with the raspberries and spice that really makes this fragrance epic.

That, and the fact that it lasted about 26 hours on me, with a shower after about 18 hours. I could smell it on my wrist 25 hours after application from the sample. That's just absurd.

I love this fragrance through and through. The hit of that fantastic and smooth tobacco mixed with the top quality honey, the longevity, the spices transforming and mumbling in the background. Everything comes together on me in a way that Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille just can't match (on me, at least).

A fantastic fragrance. Sample asap if you like tobacco or honey.

drseid's avatar

Les Nombres d'Or - Rose Etoile de Hollande by Mona di Orio

Rose opens with primarily a peach and aldehyde combination, with just a faint whiff of the rose from the heart notes peeping through. The peach remains into the heart, with the rose growing stronger coupling with a very strong almost cherry and almond smelling floral heliotrope. Rounding out the heart notes of interest is a distinct geranium note that melds with the heliotrope, aldehyde-laced peach and rose notes to create a somewhat odd combination that has a mild medicinal vibe to it. Amber and benzoin from the base add a moderate amount of sweetness to the scent, but nothing too overboard. Projection is above average with superb longevity.

I was so happy to hear that this rose scent was being released well after the untimely death of the great Mona di Orio, but I had to wonder in the back of my mind if this would truly be what Mona would have released if still alive or was Rose an unfinished composition now unleashed on the public after her death with no one left to complete it properly... We will never really know, but I fear it may have been the latter as I just don't get the same vibe with Rose as I do the other scents in the Les Nombres d'Or line. It is very aldehyde and peach heavy, with a lot less rose than you might think or want in a scent with the name Rose Etoile de Hollande. The aldehydes also give the scent a somewhat medicinal chemical vibe that when combined with the peach and heliotrope comes off as something I liken to a light semi-sweet cherry and peach cough syrup with a rose undertone. That result is far from the great heights Mona achieved with most of the Les Nombres d'Or line. I guess I am going to choose to believe this was not a finished product, but in its current state I rate Rose Etoile de Hollande a very disappointingly below average to average 2 to 2.5 stars out of 5. Not recommended and not a good representation of what Mona was capable of, IMO.

trikkirikki's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Miss Charming by Juliette Has a Gun

On my skin, this scent is all about roses. Sure, I'm getting some seriously ripe wild rasberries, but the overall impression is somewhat powdery roses. Intoxicating, blooming roses, the kind that almost makes you go all woozy. It's not the most exciing fragrance, but it's gorgeous in its own right.

synthetic's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

I have only tried the current formulation. I hear that what exists now is almost totally different.
    To be blunt, this smells like a better- made Aramis on my skin. It also progresses like Aramis on my skin. This is good and bad.
    The opening notes are old-school, very manly and projecting a masculine vibe.
    Picture a gentlemen wearing this. Someone who has seen the world and knows his place in it. This is not something your average 9-5 drone would wear.
    The problem for me is that once the heart comes into play (rather quickly I might add) I get the same problem I have with Aramis: Soap and lots of it.
    I get this Imperial Leather type sweetness crashing the party and it stays there and still makes it presence when the base shows up, which is a shame because the base is beautiful.
    This is a wonderful scent and perhaps is the just the reform but I just hate soapy vibes in fragrances the way some hate powder (which I dig).
    Maybe in a few decades this will wear itself better on me.

synthetic's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Blah.
    I love sweet scents but this is silly. Would prefer not to smell like a coffee shop.
    Obviously there is more to this scent but it's just too "edible" and almost novelty like for me.

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

Some people have horrible taste in perfumes, or they're just too sensitive to em, so don't wear them then I say or tell someone their making you physically sick when you are around them following the scent all day. I, however am obsessed with all the ones I have,but I have only one main scent that I love, which is light to everyone around me an which I have gotten many many compliments on, which is Daisy by Marc Jacobs. I think I've gone through 5 or 6 bottles in the past five years. So yeah, a bottle a year. Smells like summer, lightly fresh, slightly fruity and florally girly and ends with warmth. All time favorite. I cant use anything else. The bottle is so pretty and it's an everyday scent which is nice. The only problem that I have is that it doesnt last very long so I go through so many bottles, but I think it's mainly because I just so used to wearing it daiy that I cant smell it on myself as strongly as I did in the beginning but from all the conpliments I'm reminded that even a little spritz goes a long way. Love it! Forever a staple for me. :) I also own a bottle of Lola from Marc Jacobs and I'm wearing the scent today only because my bottle of Daisy is running low. Lola's been sittin in the box for two years and I finally tried it out an I must say it's the complete opposite of Daisy. I like it nevertheless. It has the same end notes.

Lola by Marc Jacobs

I asked my sister to buy me this perfume for Christmas two years ago, and it's been sitting in the box for two years collecting dust. I wa drawn to the bottle and I am an avid user of Daisy so I thought it to be a sister perfume, so I got a sample from the perfumer and I found it to be very strong, much stronger than Daisy and very much so in your face. I immediately thought of wearing it while out on the town with my friends and to parties cause it has that musky - fruity seductiveness to it. I've started wearing it today because my bottle of Daisy is running low and I liked it more than my other perfumes on my shelf, some o which smell like old ladies, no offense to Sarah Jessica Parker. (Lovely and Covet) I consider this my alter-ego scent because it's the complete opposite of Daisy, but I dont understand the bad reviews. I think the bottle is perfect for the scent. It's dark like a wine rouge and has a flower on the top which in reminiscent of what a flower truly is, the sexual reproductive organs of the plant. It starts off strong and fruity/ spicy then gradually fades into this warm, poeny like scent which I like and the musk is detected right away but is subtle. Only spritz it once cause it might irritate someone sitting next to you. Daisy can be worn everyday cause its so light and pleasing but I fear that Lola is not for everyone. It doesnt smell tacky or cheap to me, but very temptressy and bold. I will probably finish the bottle in a few years cause I wont wear it very often. Daisy won me over and I can't move on just yet. ;)

Peony Splash by Coach

I received this as a gift and I've worn it on and off from time to time as a quick spritz before running out the door type of scent. It's floral but also a bit fruity, and it comes off as a strong alcohol/grapefruit smell and once it dries it's nice. It's like a store brand spray but lasts longer and is not as artificial. It's pretty but takes awhile to get adjusted to. Not an instant win me over type of scent.

Darvant's avatar

Pi Neo by Givenchy

Boring light aquatic-vanillic with a talky and creamy-musky  final consistence and a salty-hesperidic  vaguely aromatic initial approach. Really synthetic and "Le Male-Lempicka Au Masculine" kind with its fresh vanillic dry down. I detect an hedonistic milky-aromatic patchouli with a soft mentholated undertone. Dull plastic stuff.

White Rose by Shiseido

I too am on a perfect Rose quest. My experience is much like the previous reviewer. This is a rose-soliflor...there are no other notes to distract you from the heavy "rose trance" experience. It opens on my skin in a sharp manner (but still natural) and smells life like to an intense tea rose. Then it rounds out and softens and grows warmer. Then it seems to vanish from the stage. My quibbles here are....maybe 100% natural rose oils are easier and less expensive to work with. And too long on the opening, not enough on the middle (far more sensual to my mind) and to vanish so quietly???? Hmm. I plan on using my few precious drops under other scents.

L'Eau Argentine by Iunx

This is nice, and I like this sort of thing, but I am giving this a neutral. Yes, for this one I go from "It's great! I should get some more!" to "I can live without this, save my wallet for another day..." thinking.
    It's restrained, natural and elegant...and in my mind it's with a few rain on dusty streets scents. Tea and rice straw do not a power house make...they make a nice slightly edible haiku. If this were dirt cheap, I'd buy bottles and spray liberally. My neutral rating comes from the suspicion that more is more.

michailG's avatar

L'Etrog by Arquiste

Divine opening, lingers on but softens to the point of oblivion not long after application (give or take a couple of hours). Subtle, spiritual, clean and evocative ... true, but fleeting too. Too bad considering the price tag. Unisex may be but certainly a great masculine fragrance for those with subtle tastes. This is one of the best citrus fragrances I have tested but as with quite a few excellent citrus compositions this too promises us plenty but delivers less and that's a bit disappointing. Today I wore Cartier Cologne, loved it on my skin, got many compliments and it costs maybe one third of L'Etrog for double the quantity. And indeed in perfumery quality is more important than quantity ... but some times our criteria get blurred; especially if the display and presentation are so good as Arquiste's and as in Aedes de Venustas. My advice is to try a few times and give it a good thought before purchasing L'Etrog. If on the other hand you have plenty of cash to spare then by no means this is a quite good citrus fragrance with nothing olfactory about it.

noirdrakkar's avatar

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

This scent is definitely oceanic, and overall one of the better aquatics that I have tried. I would say this smells remarkably similar to Sprite, Mountain Dew and 7UP, so if you like the smell of lime soda, definitely try this one.

King Slender's avatar

Magnetism for Men by Escada

When I first tried Magnetism, I was put off by it, and thought that it was too feminine... like womens perfume. After trying it several times again, I've come to truly enjoy and appreciate this fragrance! This opens up with a very strong saffron note, and it has a cola/grape soda vibe... but the top is where many are thrown off - as it does have a feminine feel to it. As it drys down though, the saffron and sparkling grape fizz calms down, and the fragrance becomes a sensual woody aroma, with hints of leather, powder, and silky smooth white musk. This scent IS sexy.. and it is most definitely "different". Be careful not to overspray this. One to the chest, one to the throat. Magnetism is VERY strong. People that don't get longevity must have bad bottles, because this stuff lasts forever. Sillage is very good.

I'm not sure if this is an everyday scent. It is mysterious and unique... so I would save if for the days or nights that you are looking to make a memorable impression. Magnetism would be the perfect scent for say... a night at the full service parlor! ; )

29 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 13 August, 2012)

Diabolik's avatar

Andron for Men by Jovan

I too had Andron when it came available on the shelves..I got many many compliments from complete strangers and women I dated. As of now Candies for men is the closest thing I have found. I also love California by Dana.. I found after it stayed on my skin it reminded me of my old long gone Andron.. Check out the Base notes in California for men, and you will agree the woodsy, musky scents are there.

29 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 November, 2012)

Noblesse Oblige's avatar

Vetiver by Lorenzo Villoresi

An extremely sophisticated and very different interpretation of the vetiver idea. It is evocative of piney woods and lavender with a whiff of nutty character from time to time. There is nothing sweet, citrusy, spicey or powdery to upset the mix. And then there is the celery, which may seem stronger than its actual proportion in the mix. It is really quite unique. The whole thing comes off as mysterious and masculine. It is long lasting on me, and I find myself returning to sniff my arm as the hours go on.

A hat tip to Lorenzo Villoresi. This is pure artistry. Five stars out of five.

29 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th December, 2012)

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Aoud de Nuit by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

This is my favorite from this line. It reminds you of the eastern world namely India with it's spices, Aoud & Black Rose etc... It opens up rather harsh somewhat with a vaguely synthetic smell which is not a bad thing, but I notice the black rose, caramel, sandalwood, Aoud & Musk the most.

This has very good projection & leaves a nice trail behind you. It will get you noticed. It last on my skin at least 10+ hours so that is a plus! The best part about this particular fragrance is that it can be worn all year round without any problems.. Parties, clubs, social gatherings? Not a problem. I do not think it would be a bad choice to wear to the office, just do not over spray.

All in all I give this a 9/10! It last, projects, smells nice what more can one ask for? Thanks CSP!

msi_21's avatar

Iran Iran

Black Tourmaline by Olivier Durbano

On my skin it dries down to a nice and classy scent which seems to be built around incense and leather mainly. I saw oud to be listed as one of the notes but I can't detect it. It is a masculine scent to me, even though I can imagine a senior lady in formal dress wearing something like this.

Black Tourmaline is similar to other works of Olivier Durbano in being somewhat dark, smoky and warm. I liked it but longevity and projection aren't good for me. Overall: 7.5 out of 10.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Ferrari Cologne Water (Yellow) by Ferrari

It is a pleasant scent that will make you imperceptible to most people. Nothing extraordinary with mediocre longevity a very limited sillage.
    Get it if you find it at a good price, as I said, it is rather pleasant, but if you want to be noticed, this one will not do it.
    Slightly citric herbal scent with a minty sweet drydown