Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

Clair Matin by Les Parfums de Rosine

A really sweet and quite oomphy opening of rose and peony notes which had me wondering why this was being called an ‘Eau Fraiche’ by the company. I imagine it’s to do with a certain leafiness in the mix and just a tiny touch of citrus – so far so enjoyable. But as things progress this becomes yet another rose soliflore where the white musk base gradually overtakes any remaining interest. How many of those does one need? Also suffers from a common Rosine problem of dropping to a skin scent within minutes.

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The density of white florals can often cloy. Serge Lutens’s Fleur d’Oranger offers one way out – make the flowers so real that despite the thickness of the scent the feel will still be fresh. The orange blossom is mainly in the opening, after that this is a bowl of garden fresh jasmine centre stage with a vase of tuberose some distance in the background. This is a living, breathing thing and even the indoles natural to these blossoms are alive and dancing, unlike the saggy, unwashed creatures that languish in other perfumes. I rarely choose to wear white florals, but this one is beautifully done.
    The edges on this do blur about 3-4 hours in, but apart from the loss of the feeling that one is smelling real flowers, the notes don’t distort much.

Kyphi by Olympic Orchids

The entire medicine cabinet or Pharaoh’s tomb – this all-natural mix is off-beat and pushes my button. Chockfull of incense ingredients and hints of greens, this is musty, far-from-fresh and yet (allowing for my sometimes strange tastes) compelling because of this ancient vibe. The kind of perfume that emerges like a long-dormant genie.

Louve by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

My curiosity about Louve was piqued upon reading an interview with a French actor (I forget whom) who said words to the effect that she immediately knew this was for her and she could not be without it. That kind of diehard love is usually a signifier of a degree of individuality and Louve does not disappoint on that score.
    The opening surge of bitter almonds brought visions of Miss Marple running from the scene of the crime, a lace-edged handkerchief clasped over her nose, muttering, ‘Cyanide gas...’ It’s a pretty shocking, no-compromise start, but the transitions start almost straight away. The almond softens considerably, grows marzipan-like for a while, there’s a suggestion of pink rosiness and, in time, the overall feel becomes more and more like cherry kisses. The volume also perceptibly drains away and the skin scent that is left is mainly candied cherries, with a hint of lactones and a little soft almond. It may not be for everyone, but I enjoyed the journey immensely (particularly the stage when the floral notes come into view) and found the destination to be a place of comfort. I do wish it would project just a little bit more, though.

Olympic Amber by Olympic Orchids

Why does an amber that seems to be composed mainly of turpentine, leather and shoe polish please my soul so? Maybe it’s the feel of a lived-in space that it creates, a space of comfort, free of fuss and worry. It also sits just right on the skin, not too rich or cloying. The vanilla is judged perfectly in this, lending a dusty, softening undertow and the sweetness is also barely there. I can see how this was intended as a base for other perfumes, but I’m glad it exists in its own right.

Arabian Nights - Pure Oud by By Kilian

Oud pierced by a sharp carpenter shop’s offcuts kind of wood note. This smells like one of the cheaper offerings from a bog-standard attar merchant. It has the Middle Eastern vibe alright, but you couldn’t possibly get commoner within this denominator. Points of interest: dry and not sweet.

Shams by Memo

Piercingly resinous and dry. Cistus and cypriol are the sluggers in this one with the salty aspect of vetiver as backup. There’s a good sprinkle of warm pepper at the start. The longed for saffron and oud notes just don’t materialize. The feel is resolutely of varnished furniture in a long locked airless room in some desert lodge. That may rock some people’s boat.
    I find it a bit of a shame that a company like Memo that has got its image and branding spot on turns out such lacklustre creations. This one would have benefitted tremendously from a greater degree of daring and a bit of bolstering to its strength.

Vanille Exquise by Annick Goutal

Pure, grown-up vanilla with a slight boozy tang, that has a muddle of milky wood-spice in the middle, a bit Lutenesque. My main problem is getting it to project as far as my nose – it’s there alright just hovering a bit too close to the skin.

classicrock's avatar

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Ten out of ten! The only fragrance I've liked the scent of 100% (others I've liked aspects of the scent but not liked it completely). If you love the smell of cinnamon you'll love this! It has a very cinnamon-heavy smell, yet it somehow still manages to smell sophisticated, masculine, and conjures up the notion that the wearer is both sensual and has money...

classicrock's avatar

English Blazer by Parfums Bleu

Bought it because my dad used to wear this amazing one called Insignia which smells just like this. Becasue English Blazer is so hard to find in New Zealand, I now buy Drakkar Noir because It's SO similar to this. As previous reviewers have pointed out, this is a scrubbed up version of Drakkar Noir. Insignia, Drakkar Noir, and English Blazer are very much interchangeable. I would go so far as to say that if you're familiar with one of those three you'll know exactly what the other two smell like.

Now it's time to actually review English Blazer. 5 out of 5 from me! A scent that errs on the formal side. It's seductive, slightly warm yet a bit restrained. Very masculine too. This is a man's fragrance! You wont find women being drawn to wearing this one themselves as it's completely without femininity. A great fragrance that I never get bored of. Good silage and longevity. It's been years since I had a bottle of this but from memory it lasted a few hours on me. Oh and this one gets a lot of compliments too.

Francolino's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

Great scent, should have better sillage and duration. Anyway makes me feel good!

Un Bateau Pour Capri by Eau d'Italie

I'm a fan of the Eau d'Italie line, but this particular offering is a very nondescript fresh floral.

Creature by Kerosene

Creature is so minty it literally burns my skin - not a very pleasant experience! I can't pick out any of the green notes apart from the mint and the scent doesn't come off as "green" to me. It doesn't remind me of a living creature but rather of an artificial creature, as it has absolutely no warmth or sweetness or body to meld with the skin scent - it just lies there like a slick, clean, synthetic, slightly nauseating, minty-cool aura.

La Pluie by Miller Harris

I don't get the connection to rain, as there's nothing cool or watery about this fragrance. Instead, it's warm and dry and powdery. The only form of water it might remind me of is steam - as in a steamy sauna. There's also a certain creaminess to it, and buried somewhere beneath the cream and powder a vegetal bite vaguely reminiscent of cucumber. Apart from that, I can't pick out a single note.

fa23's avatar

Interlude Man by Amouage

A very cloying scent. Had high expectations but this isn't something I would be wearing. Longevity is average and projection is good. Amouage have failed consistently and their only noteworthy scent (apart from attars) is Jubilation XXV.

ObsessionForMen's avatar

Fendi Uomo by Fendi

You are spending a year abroad in Roma, the eternal city. You have treated yourself to an expensive FENDI leather tote bag. It will become your souvenir when you return home and remind you of shopping daily at the open air markets.

Today you are shopping for ingredients for a lovely fish dinner you are preparing for a special friend you met living in your building. You head out with the FENDI tote to a favorite market near the Spanish Steps. You toss in a couple of plump lemons and a particularly fragrant bunch of marjoram. Your eye catches a lovely older woman who makes home-made lavender soaps and purchase one for a sybaritic bath later that evening before your guest arrives. Before you head home you peruse the flower section for a bouquet for the dinner table. There is a mixed arrangement that looks particularly appealing. It is comprised of white carnations, white lilies and a few sprigs of jasmine thrown in. It will be perfect in the candlelight.

You stop at a sidewalk cafe' for an expresso before returning back to your apartment. This is the hottest part of the day and your filled tote sits in the sun for a spell. The fragrant items in that tote are at their peak. When you return home you open your tote and the most wonderful aroma of herbs, flowers, soap and of course, the smell of expensive leather envelope you. You are in rapture. That is the smell of FENDI UOMO in a nutshell.

When this was launched in the 80's there was the most sexy promotional film used in department stores. It was a beautiful Roman woman searching desperately through a burning Roman temple. She finally finds what she is looking for, a classical male nude marble statue. She approaches it and gives him a kiss on the lips. Lo and behold he turns human from his solid state. She is in sheer bliss. That is the way I feel when I wear UOMO.

Comme des Garçons Parfum by Comme des Garçons

Maybe it's my skin chemistry, maybe it's the idea of association, but what others here are smelling as "christmas potpourri" or "pickling spices" I smell as the mainstay sports/athletic Tiger Balm. I absolutely love this stuff. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper than Heeley's version called 'Esprit de Tigre'. Just go easy on that atomizer, friends, this can get very heavy very fast.

Black Play by Comme des Garçons

I was really hoping the birch tar note would be a little heavier in this - it for me, would really bring home the "Play" association via the creosote odor from wooden playground equipment in the Southern USA where I grew up. The opening black pepper blast, at least on my skin, dries to a very faint black pepper and thyme that is neither unpleasant nor very long lasting. And forget about sillage; I can smell the plain soap I showered with this morning more than the Play Black on my wrists.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Yes I read the notes, and yes I get a few of them when I wear this. But the main thing I love about this Terre is that turned earth and tomatoes on a vine scent. It's very fleeting and quite abstract. I also pick up a flinty, metallic note that makes me think of opening said tomatoes in a tin can. After reading this, I can imagine people saying "why on earth would anyone want to smell like that"? But I do, and I suppose that's all that really matters. A family friend knows I like this and gave me a gift of the Parfum version, and I'm sad to say I don't like it as much - it's missing those metallic and earth notes I like so much in the EDT.

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

I've always been attracted to left of center scents, especially everyday things you smell around the house or in public. I was always the child standing close to the campfire because I liked the way burning leaves smell. I was the art student who enjoyed the smell of oil paint and turpentine. And I'm that weirdo who stands close to the pump because I like the smell of petrol. Mind you, I don't huff paint and/or chemical fumes for some drug-induced mental experience. I just enjoy certain odors and the mental and emotional associations they bring about. And I've always enjoyed colognes and perfumes that feature uncommon notes that offer those sorts of experiences. Those that go beyond "gee, you smell nice."
    Having said all that, I have found CdC 71 can be very polarizing. My boyfriend claims that every time I wear it , he thinks there is an electrical fire somewhere in the house, like something has shorted out. My childhood friend Paul says it reminds him of his days in the printing press warehouse. Needless to say the former hates 71 and the latter likes it. And I find that polarization is one of its greatest gifts.

Ungaro II by Ungaro

A more modern and masculine take on the classic Jicky by Guerlain. Now sadly discontinued, though possible to find on various re-sellers websites (you will most likely, however, be getting the late-production reformulation that slightly toned down the civet, or more probably, I suspect, went to a synthetic version of civet.) This was one of my go-to scents for years and I'm still hanging on to one last bottle of the pre-reformulation juice for very special occasions.

Anné Pliska by Anné Pliska

I love Anna Pliska. I was given a little sample from Nordstrom in 1989. I've worn it ever since. It's powdery, citrusy, dark and seductive, yet still friendly and approachable. It doesn't have the headachy bite of Angel or Poison.

Roma by Laura Biagiotti

Roma is simply gorgeous. It's green, citrusy (grapefruit?), powdery, with a slight vanilla and maybe even black pepper. I've been wearing it since 1991, when a sales associate at Nordstrom recommended it because I also have Anne Pliska and Must de Cartier.

L by Lolita Lempicka

L is so pretty. It's sexy, salty, oceany, vanilla, cinnamon. Just perfect. I just wish it lasted longer on me.

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

I have been told on more than one occasion that I shouldn't like Pink Sugar - because I'm "too old" for it (I'm 41), because I also wear "more refined fragrances" (Must de Cartier, Anne Pliska, Roma, L), because it's not "dark" (okay I guess I'm 'dark'? LOL). But I love it. It's sugary, comforting, vanilla, soft, powdery. The cute bottle also makes me smile. The fragrance doesn't last on me, but I do get a bit of a revival of it on me if it gets warm.

La Fumée by Miller Harris

Not the acrid campfire, incense or tobacco of most other smoky scents - instead it's hot, dry woods, so steaming hot they're just about to catch fire. There's an almost citrusy zest to the fragrance too - no idea which note that might be. It's almost sour-sweet, in a way that reminds me a bit of immortelle - not a favourite note of mine. It only shows up in the bend of my arm - on my wrist the fragrance stays lovely: smoky and dry - but it's enough to semi-ruin the scent for me and make me give it a neutral rating.

alfarom's avatar

Aedes de Venustas (new) by Aedes de Venustas

Typical Duchafour. Transparent and clean incense with slightly sweetish fruity undertones. Minimalistic, very modern, pleasant...and kind of trendy (I'm afraid not in a good way though). The opening is very nice with fresh cut green notes, subtle florals a tad of exoticism...it evolves into the typical Duchafour's incense base we all experienced too many times...it could easily be a new LeLabo called Rhubarb 8. A perfect "contemporary" fragrance which I seriously doubt it will leave a trace of any sort.

Nice but not worthy the hefty price tag at all...mild thumbs up.

Francolino's avatar

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

love it, it is classified as female scente but to the girl at the store was for me, dark gothic patchouli, chocolate, flowery and spicy, kinky and sexy and pricey

30th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 01st August, 2012)

Possum-Pie's avatar

Dark Aoud by Montale

This Fragrance starts out very astringent with the heavy note of Cuban cigars. This works well with the Oud. The projection is good and the longevity is excellent. It reminds me of an Egyptian Royal court. Montale is courageous and bold with their Aouds. The longevity is great, but projection suffers after a few hours on me. I can sniff it on my skin 24 hours later.

30th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 04 August, 2012)

Possum-Pie's avatar

Oud Cuir D'Arabie by Montale

This is a difficult fragrance. When I first applied it, the fecal/animal note was a turn-off. Luckily, after dry-down plus 15 min. that lessened, and the Oud and Leather predominated. It's projection is great, and longevity is excellent. I wouldn't EVER blind buy this, you must try it first. I enjoy it after the fecal smell dissipates, and own a large sample spritzer of this. I can't apply it unless I have 15min. to let it dry-down before I have contact with anyone.

30th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 14 August, 2012)