Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

Possum-Pie's avatar

Oud Cuir D'Arabie by Montale

This is a difficult fragrance. When I first applied it, the fecal/animal note was a turn-off. Luckily, after dry-down plus 15 min. that lessened, and the Oud and Leather predominated. It's projection is great, and longevity is excellent. I wouldn't EVER blind buy this, you must try it first. I enjoy it after the fecal smell dissipates, and own a large sample spritzer of this. I can't apply it unless I have 15min. to let it dry-down before I have contact with anyone.

30th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 14th August, 2012)

kmfdm10392's avatar

Bois Marocain by Tom Ford

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this scent. But it's terribly pricey. If you want a fantastic, quality woody incense grab a bottle of Kyoto by Comme des Garcons and save yourself about a hundred and forty dollars. I'm only giving it a neutral rating because of the price. I'm glad I splurged on the bottle but I won't be doing it again.

30th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st September, 2012)

Possum-Pie's avatar

L'Homme Libre by Yves Saint Laurent

This fragrance opens with a cotton candy citrus note, definitely bergamot in there. It dries down nicely and is brisk and astringent. The longevity on me, and the projection is incredible. All day, into the evening. I think flankers get a bad rap on this board from some, especially the "sport" scents. They may appeal to younger folks, but that isn't a reason to throw them under the bus.

30th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th February, 2013)

axmaster45's avatar

F pour Homme Black by Salvatore Ferragamo

Simply fantastic. I am still a bit new to the amazing world of fragrance, but have several nice bottles and loads of decants under my nose already. I blind bought this, and could not be happier. I put on 2 sprays this past Friday night, and within 2 seconds of entering the room, my wife and her guest, both mid 20's stopped in their tracks, enjoyed the scent, and then proceeded to rain down compliments, encouraging all to come smell me up close. This fragrance is sexy as hell, and not underrated i see from the other reviews here. It gets even better with each wear somehow. My first was a powdery scents, not my favorite, but it may have been due to being fresh out of the shower and it mixing with my body wash poorly. the second wear was simply divine, with plenty of longevity 8 hours later.

Edit: months later, as my nose had advanced just a small bit, i must change to a neutral rating. Has tons of projection, but the great opening covers some of the synthetic stuff going on underneath. A few hours in i simply cannot stand it. Fantastic for the price though,

30th July, 2012 (Last Edited: 08th May, 2013)

jamwires's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

What a winner. I didn't like it at first, but it took a couple years for me to fully understand its beauty. It definitely lasts a long time, projects nicely, and has a slight 90's tone - in a good way. It's almost 20 years old, and a definite classic.

Erok32's avatar

A*Men Pure Energy / A*Men Pure Shot by Thierry Mugler

Pure shot reminds me of a B*Men sport in a sense. It's masculine, light, and resembles A*Men in no shape or form. i could see myself wearing this, but not for the price.

hickorysmoke's avatar

cK One Shock for Him by Calvin Klein

Found the BIG bottle 6.7 at the discount store for 29.99 and gave it a try. I like it. The cherry note people describe wasn't super sugary for me. IMO it blends really well with the darker notes. It was also surprisingly subtle.

hickorysmoke's avatar

Very Cool for Men by Tommy Bahama

I really enjoyed this one and unlike many others I actually like it better than Set Sail St. Barts. Very Cool is a fun, beachy, boozy scent that has a real crisp edge with the lemon note that is pretty prominent. I've seen the 3.4 as low as $15. Can't go wrong at that price for a casual summer scent.

bFlay's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

BRIT is a fairly nice, slightly mundane fragrance suitable for daytime and mixed company wear. Refreshing ginger and musky oriental notes pervade throughout wearing and longevity is minimal 5-6 hours. Unremarkable in a pleasant way, BRIT has a place in a man's arsenal when smelling nice and inoffensive is all that is desired.

tacos's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza by Acqua di Parma

Great quality flagrance for the summer. Has a lemon-like opening, that right away gives you a great fresh feeling. Energizing! And then after some time you get that soapy aroma that takes over...This AdP has class written all over. I first thought this was going to be boring flanker, but I think this is better then the original. Works great in warm weather. If you want to smell like somebody who just took a shower, put on a white shirt or neat tailored polo-shirt...this is the classy smell that goes with it.

Arabian Nights by Jacques Bogart

This is a very "heavy" frag. Name and scent fit very well. You think instantly of marakesh, a hot day in the shadows of the markets, a cup of black sweet tea, one or two beutiful belly dances... or so.
    My first impression was Wow! How rich and pleasant and good! - after an hour I tried tor srubb it off - its to heavy and simply gets on my nose nerves - too sweet as well, kind of feminine defintively also. +It changes to 'soapy' after two hours - on me.
    Lasts forever. Not for the office if you like your Co-Workers. Evening-Clubbing OK.
    Blind Bought it as one of the recommandation in this forum for a better, classier '1 Million'. Defeintely not better and also not the same scent. (Ted Lapidus Black Soul ist the Winner here) Anyone here needs a new 100ml bottle Arabia Nights?

Boss The Collection: Cotton Verbena by Hugo Boss

The initial blast of verbena and vetiver declares this as a fresh summery scent; this top note lasts about half an hour on me. It then develops added deeper green notes and a distinct light wood and moss note that remains the basenote that remains close to my skin until it fades after about three hours. The ingredients appear to be of good quality, and this is a very nice version of a common theme. More sophisticated than many other verbena scents.

Boss The Collection: Cashmere Patchouli by Hugo Boss

The opening is tremendous: a rich patchouli blast that has an added freshness and slight bitterness that prevents it from being sweet and cloying. This top notes lasts over an hour and is a brilliant start to this fragrance. Later on it becomes close to the skin, earthier, and after about four to five hours fades into a gently soapy finish. The base note is all right, but the top note is wonderful - one of Boss's finest.

Boss The Collection: Silk Jasmine by Hugo Boss

Tha jasmine opening is very good - intensive but with some elegance. After about an hour vanilla and honey emerge and alternatingly are in the foreground or more in the background. This fragrance keeps its elegant balance, the sweetness is restrained and never cloying - I tried in in cold weather. After about five hours a faint powdery sweetness remains. This is not a complex scent, but convincing in it execution.

only_me!'s avatar

Full Incense by Montale

****
    If Montale’s ‘Greyland’ is the equivalent of Jan Garbarek’s modernistic ECM recording ‘Visible Worlds’, (see my review), then perhaps ‘Full Incense’ suggests a performance of Garbarek’s sublime collaboration with the Hilliard Ensemble, ‘Officium’ within Westminster Cathedral: the incense like the ancient music itself transformed by voice and saxophone, floating as an ethereal body within the liturgical spaces on the wings of Garbarek’s unique soprano.

Has ever incense been given such a definitive monist statement?

For G x

only_me!'s avatar

Greyland by Montale

****
    The names of Montale perfumes are typically functional in that they list the ingredients as in, e.g. ‘Aoud-plus-something’, or an adjective is added as prefix to evoke a mood such as, ‘Dark’ or ‘Royal’, all of which direct one’s mind towards the seductive history associated with perfume; its mythology, and the Arabic tradition.

By way of clever suggestion, however, and in a black flacon, the enigmatically modernistic ’Greyland’ allows one to relocate, perhaps to a kind of uninhabited Scandinavian landscape found on an ECM album cover: an esoteric bleak space paradoxically densely full of ‘elements’: the ‘outdoors’ in which existential Bergmanesque journeys towards some form of primal telos are made possible.

The title aside, 'Greyland' delivers one of the most sumptuous leather-musk masculines I have ever had the pleasure to wear. Together with a subtle flourish of dark rose and spices, Greyland impresses as a dense, full-bodied smoky, beguiling incense-type composition that resonates with all the majesty of Jan Garbarek’s rich, haunting and spacious tenor saxophone: at once man-made and somehow metallic in tone, yet exquisitely organic and comfortable: a warm carpet of velvet within Nature’s playground.

One of the most gorgeous creations from this magnificent House and, for me, a seeming ability to discard time somehow given its longevity.

(For 'G' to whom I remain indebted for my introduction to Montale perfumes and Life. x)

Boss The Collection: Velvet Amber by Hugo Boss

Amber is there, all right, a nice but not particularly spectacular grounding of this scent, that later merges with vanilla - again a nice vanilla, not nothing special. My skin does not get much Balsamic. It is a safe combination, a bit uneventful and limited development. Sillage is poor after an hour, as is projection. No complaint about the longevity, though; up to five hours, with the last couple of hours developing into a pleasant gentle soapiness.

Boss The Collection: Wool Musk by Hugo Boss

This is a lighter musk composition in the line of the white musks of TF, but less creative and with a wood component and a mild sweetness of cinnamon. As a cinnamon base it is underwhelming IMHO, and not match to serious cinnamons like Ambre Cannelle, serge Lutens Rousse, Miyako or Tea for two. The wood is also not particularly impressive. In the end this might be interesting for lover of lighter white musk. The HB attempts to link the scent with fabrics seems a bit contrived to me - maybe In the Luca Turin way: no wool scent - 1. The projection is average on me, sillage the same, but the longevity of nearly five hours is very good on my skin.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Vetyver / Vétiver by Givenchy

Released in 1959, discontinued when its champion, Hubert de Givenchy, retired, and now miraculously revived, Vetyver is one of the greats. Dry, tart, unfussy, indefatigable, with an ideal presence and blessed with the kind of minimalism insisted upon by high grade materials. While its extreme edges are marked by hints of lime and of liquorice, and it has a citrus-fresh coriander leaf note in its heart, the scent is throughout devoted to vetiver. This would make a fine introduction for those unfamiliar with the grassy root; moreover, this could well be the fragrance on which vetiver lovers should finally come to rest.

Bani Paul's avatar

India India

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Lot of people has got their own views about JPG LE MALE but it's one of the best perfumes ever created.I feel ,it's ignored by by a lot reviewers because it's used by a hell lot of people and its very common.Otherwise this perfume is a great creation ,no one can deny the fact.It's a mint and vanilla bomb.I dont really know any other perfume which has got such a day long staying power.Its truely a monster.People might talk about A*Man,Joop and lot of other things but these all do not posses the same quality notes.I use it in the morning and it keeps on going strong till evening.As far as the projection concerned ,no other can beat this.Belive it or not.Guys ,if you want to find out mistakes ,you can find it out anywhere,even in the most greatest things in the world.

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

I first semlled it on the our pavior. Long after he was gone I asked my wife: What is this, this smells fantatstic (on him. He was working hard, and a smoker - the mixture was phenomenal even at the end of the day). So she had to ask him, what this is.
    1 Million he said, and he told me to buy it in onea certain perfume store in Munich, because he thought, there are different 'not so good' versions around (???). Nevertheless - i bought it and I wear carefully (it's offensive) from time to time.
    Pros: Unique scent. Warm, sweet, well composed, I like it
    Cons: Offensive if you exagarete Spritzes, since I know it I can smell it often (->nothing special), stupid bottle and even more stupid atomizer, Scent and name do not fit to my opnion, from time to time it's too sweet.

Monsieur de Fath by Jacques Fath

Citrus ... Citrus ... Citrus ... anything else??
    Refresshing but a bit ... one dimensional.

Basteri's avatar

Spain Spain

Pi Neo Tropical Paradise by Givenchy

utterly pointless... it last a nano second and smells like mosquito repellent... stay away from it.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Absolutelly not a fragrance in the way I knew fragrances before. English Teahouse.
    Black tea, tobacco leaves (danish pipe tobacco) a strong incense / smoke start. At the end vanilla sweet black tea. No flowers or fruits, as much as my nose can detect. No idea why this should be for women also. Absolutelly masculine.
    I think I like it very much.

rttoronto's avatar

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

I don't get it....soft aldehydic floral with some soft fruit thrown in. Nothing more. I get no ink note. Poor longevity and sillage. I'll go neutral because of all the glowing reviews and stick with Wonderwood.

A*Men Sunessence Orage D'Ete / Summer Storm by Thierry Mugler

This beauty came in my mail 2 months ago after a blind buy based only on reviews found online and recommendations from other users. Taking into account the fact that I don't like A*Men, I can say that I really love this limited edition, as it has very little in common with original.

A sharp & tonic opening, perceived as fruity & little sweet, very appropiate for spring sunny days, followed by a spicy patchouli, smooth coffee & some woods combination, very very good indeed.

As a limited edition I couldn't be more happy that I didn't miss it (like I did with others wanted limited flankers) and I can throughly recommend it to those who think original A*Men is too much for them.

Longevity is not an issue by itself...personally there are many times I don't want a fragrance to stay with me all day and get tired of it, so I would say about 4-5 hrs, with a noticeable presence in the first two. My rank 8/10. A truly nice surprise...

NOEL MAHC's avatar

Amethyst by Lalique

It was okay. Fruity and clean but it really smelled like air freshener after awhile. The longevity is pretty good with Amethyst.

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Prada Man is one of my favourite after shave applying fragrances when I dress up a clean shirt for work or even casually after a long shower in a sunny Sunday morning. Clean, luxury soapy, little herbal, complex development and long-lasting, it makes me feel relaxed, clean and confident.
    Personally I have no issues with its so called feminine side because it delivers fully a soapiness -freshness that I expect from it and that's enough for me.
    Worth mentioning that after testing about 10-15 'new' fragrances I bought relatively cheap a big splash bottle and I use a few drops over a neutral moisturizing cream that make miracles on my skin: projection is very good and the overall feeling is fantastic. I just love it. My rank 8.5/10.

Versace l'Homme by Versace

A hidden gem and one of the mature fragrances that deserve a bigger price that those few bucks is sold for.I didn't care too much for it few years go when I tried it but now the things have changed...
    I have a 1.7 oz of the recent formulation and I like it pretty much for what it is: bitter-lemony-alcohol opening that morphs in about 10 minutes into a wonderful fougere-musky-sweet-leathery combination of notes.
    Strong sillage, very good longevity (one squirt on my arm lasted more that 8 hrs.), complex development.
    I'm glad I rediscovered this because I think that sense of smell as the sense of taste is evolving if you train it enough. My humble rank 8.5/10.

Insensé by Givenchy

A must have, imo, for every serious collector...one of the latest remaining kings of flower-aromatic kingdom. Strong, bitter citruses floating around a smooth aromatic flowers field, finding peace in a deep forest, that radiate confidence and serenity in the same time.
    It's somehow funny and surprising for me to discover that the more I try new fragrances the less I care about them and always return to the Golden Age frags, when perfumery was more an art than pure chemistry strongly marketed.
    My humble rank 8.0/10. This is Not for the 1 Million/Fuel for life fans though...