Fragrance Reviews from July 2012

's avatar

Fiori di Capri by Carthusia

Quite a large turnout at the party. Everybody showed up: Poison, Douglas Hannant, Diorissimo, Choc, L'Air du Temps, Gucci pour Homme, CDG 2 Man...

This is an amazing clash of notes. So romantic. Whenever I sample five or six different scents simultaneously, smells eventually mix and then I always think to myself 'God, why can't there be such a concoction...'. Well, this is exactly it - ten fragrances merged into one.

My skin has a very distinctive smell and it works so well with Fiori di Capri. I shall most certainly buy a full bottle. It is not very aggressive, but it does linger for many hours and amplifies my natural smell.

One of the best fragrances ever. I love quirky scents and I can't be totally objective when it comes to this brand. I just love it so much.

dollars&scents's avatar

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens - One in initially treated to a lemony accord. Bergamot, with its bittersweet and peppery facets, commingles with a robust, sweetly floral, Earl Grey tea. This tart and tangy mixture, almost effervescent, is carried on an undercurrent of ginger, which infuses its sweet and lemony facets, to the heart. Here, the warmth and spiciness of cinnamon and a hint of nutmeg shower the lemony opening, lifting a gingerbread accord, reminiscent of speculoos, with their rich sweetness and spiciness. A balsamic and faintly buttery woodiness from cedar carries the seductive accord to the base. Transitioning, the smooth cedar is tempered by a woody and lively pepper flittering about, akin to incense, and honey, which imparts its sweetness with a touch of urine. A resinous amber infuses its vanillic and smoky facets. And, a somewhat dark and slightly musky patchouli diffuses its aromatic earthiness. A dusting of bitter cacao also presents. The interplay of the foregoing leads to a comforting drydown. This unisex fragrance leans to the masculine side, and is light and bright. A festive composition, it has average projection, a 1-foot scent cloud, and average longevity, approximately 8 hours.

Oviatt's avatar

Sex Appeal for Men by Jovan

One of the best discount fragrances out there, this does remind me a little of Pierre Cardin Pour Homme (which I love) but it has more of a pathouli, spice and powder thing going on. I get a big slug of musk, which is almost a house note for Jovan. It smells comfortable and manly, in a good way. I do not have a bottle of this, but I have a cousin who wears it and I am always reminded of how good it smells when he is over. He is not a cologne guy at all and would not dream of wearing anything that did not come in aftershave form from the drug store. This is from a time when all real men needed was a close shave and a stiff drink..... and a little sex appeal, of course!

Fleurine's avatar

Calypso Chevrefeuille by Calypso Christiane Celle

This is another case of, "Why do they always discontinue to good ones.". Calypso Chevrefeuille (honeysuckle) is a green aria of honeysuckle, with some accompaniment of light white flowers, both rich and feathery at the same time. Where the Goutal Chevrefeuille is squeaky clean and a bit shrill out of the gate, this EdT glides and sails like a silk dress in a twilit breeze. Innocent and sexy, you can't beat that combination. Probably worth big bucks if you come across one. If you like the Chevrefeuille note, it's a safe blind buy.

Oviatt's avatar

Weekend for Men by Burberry

I should love this stuff, but I don't. The only problem is, everyone thinks that I do and they keep giving it to me! I don't mind a discounted buy from Marshall's that once came to a birthday party, but once some friends brought me back a present from Narita's duty free shop and they brought this back! While I love the OLD Burberry brand (my first trench coat came from their Haymarket store and I loved their men's scent from the 80s), I really don't like the brand exploitation that has gone on... and the fragrances that it has produced. I get the grapefruit topnotes loud and clear (too loud...) but from there on it smells like an old lady's hair spray. Aquanet at the breakfast table. Nothing that I want to smell like. I relegated a small bottle to my travel bag once just to get rid of it and discovered it on a weekend trip to a resort hotel. I gave it one last try, still didn't like it and threw the full bottle in the trash. When I came back from dinner, the maid stopped me in the hall and said that I must have thrown it away by accident but never fear, she saved it for me when she emptied the bin! I feigned gratitude and threw it away at the airport on my way home....

mnaonbn's avatar

Feuilles Vertes by Creed

FOR THE 2006 LIMITED EDITION (FATHER'S DAY RELEASE)

For years, I have read rave reviews about FV. Those reviews, coupled with the juice's price and exclusivity have elevated it to near iconic status. However, now that I have finally sampled it (at great expense), I do not get what all of hubbub has been about. Let me first dispel a myth: It smells nothing like green leaves, or like walking through a forest after the rain, or like any of the other similarly lovely but misleading imagery that some people have expressed. It is a chypre. It smells like a chypre. Specifically:

(a) The TOP (the best phase but very fleeting): A citrus-infused green smokey oakmoss that is the epitome of what a green chypre accord should smell like. Unfortunately, it disappears in about one minute.

(b) The MIDDLE (interesting but also very fleeting): A much more muted oakmoss now haunted by a carroty overtone, which I deduce is just an interesting residual effect of the top giving way to the base, not an actual carrot seed note. This phase also lasts only about one minute.

(c) The BASE (very unexpected but most persistent): An even more muted oakmoss dominated by a very well blended composite of...get ready for it...soap and paper towels. Laugh if you like, but I dare you to experiment and think about it seriously. In a strange way, it evokes the scent experience of washing your hands with a luxurious bar of soap and then drying them off with a few paper towels. It is that scent experience bottled. Strange and interesting? Yes. Worth the hype and money? No.

Ultimately, FV is a well-sourced, well-blended, refined, and light soapy/powdery/aldehydic chypre, but it is otherwise unremarkable and in no way worth hundreds let alone thousands of dollars. This is especially the case given that projection, sillage, and longevity are all decent, but no better.

P.S.: Oakmoss and vanilla are not middle notes; they are base notes, unless Creed is using some sort of synthetic duplicates that happen to be lighter molecules. (Contrary to popular belief, Creed does use some percentage of synthetics, albeit less than that of naturals.)

31st July, 2012 (Last Edited: 01st August, 2012)

hickorysmoke's avatar

Power by 50 Cent

Found the 3.4 bottle at the discount store for 12.99 and gave it a try. Good purchase for the $. People have compared it to Paco Rabanne Black XS, but haven't tried that one. I can say, IMO, it smells like a tame version of Tommy Bahama Very Cool. Probably from the lemon I get that and the woods.

For the price it' a good buy, but after wearing for a few days I only get about 3 hours on this one, which is a bummer.

31st July, 2012 (Last Edited: 01st August, 2012)

farang's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

There is a blast of fresh lavender and bergamot in the beginning. Very soon it settles down with vanilla, wood and musk notes. It is a well executed dry-down with vanilla and musk as the dominant notes, but in a hot and humid climate (as here in Bangkok) it becomes almost suffocating and one feels the need for a bit freshness as counterbalance.

I suppose it works well in colder climates, but to me it is too sweet and musky for the tropical climate.

31st July, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 August, 2012)

photofinish's avatar

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

Dominant notes of sweetened java and dark woods define the mood of Polo Double Black, encompassing its wearer with the stale odor of a habitual coffee drinker's bad breath.

31st July, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th August, 2012)

drseid's avatar

Padparadscha by Satellite

Padparadscha opens with an amazing combination of jasmine, supported by both cinnamon and clove (even though neither are listed as official notes). The spiced jasmine is shortly joined by a very well-done fiery red chile pepper that is the primary heart note with a juniper berry undertone that is somewhat reminiscent of pine needles. A woody base of cedar creeps into the heart notes but stays relatively well-concealed, content to remain in the background while the hot spice smolders. Sandalwood adds a last bit of sweetness working with the remnants of the jasmine presented earlier to counter the continuing spicy nature of the scent. Projection is above average and longevity is average.

Padparadscha is a hidden gem of a scent (and it is named after a rare sapphire so I guess that is apropos). It is a chile pepper lover’s dream come true as that aspect is extremely well-implemented. With chile pepper as the star you might expect it to be a very dry and hot scent, but the jasmine, clove and cinnamon temper the heat and add just the slightest touch of subtle sweetness to the overall composition with the juniper and cedar adding perfect support. This is definitely a superb composition crafted by a nose I confess to have never heard of in Dulon. I will endeavor to keep an eye out for further releases by Ms. Dulon and her company Satellite as not only is Padparadscha a powerful release, it is very reasonably priced at $80 retail for 100ml. That is a steal for this type of quality, scoring a very strong buy recommendation. Bravo Dulon! Padparadscha is beyond excellent and earns a well-deserved 4.5 stars out of 5.

31st July, 2012 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2012)

The Monaco's avatar

Germany Germany

Black Soul by Ted Lapidus

This is - to m humble nose - a decent male scent. Blind buy as a better alternative recommandation to 1 Million in your forum. And in deed it is a) rather close to 1 Million, but b) an alternative. Not so sweet, spicier, fresher - more masculine. After a few hours it develops wearing in a direction which disturbes me a little bit. So Thumbs up but as it was a favourite at the beginning, I now do not use it very often. I like more the start but the dry down is not my thing - on my skin.

31st July, 2012 (Last Edited: 07 September, 2012)